Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

Enjoy and review! Thanks!

Ron dropped the full plate in his hand as he spun around. It couldn't be!

He turned around to see Luna standing before him looking absolutely beautiful. She wore a flowing white dress that was adorned with flowers. "What---what are you doing here?"

"I wanted to surprise you," she said. "Professor McGonagall let me come tonight."

He was certainly surprised. Ron grabbed her by the arm and pulled her to him. "You look...you look....I can't even find the right words."

Luna smiled at him. "I don't need words from you, Ronald."

Ron gave her a lingering kiss. He'd missed her so much these last few weeks and she was here. It was official---Professor McGonagall was his favourite person in the world for making this happen.

"I missed you too," Luna giggled when they finally broke apart. "Ronald you look so handsome in your Quidditch robes!"

Ron did a little turn. "I'm glad that you like them. It was great putting them back on again. Even if it was just for tonight."

Luna touched his arm. "Tell me everything that's been going on with you, Ronald. Don't leave a thing out."

"Well," Ron said looking over his girlfriend's shoulder where Hermione was talking with Professor Lupin. "I found out something that kind of threw me for a loop."

"What's that?" Luna asked, leaning against him.

Ron was about to tell her, but he remembered his promise to Harry. But, he and Luna didn't keep secrets from each other and she would never tell if he asked her not to. "Um, Harry's seeing someone."

"How lovely for him," Luna replied.

"You promise not to say anything to anyone?" Ron asked in a hushed tone.

"If you're telling me a secret, I'd never tell another soul," Luna replied. "You know that, Ronald."

Ron led her off to the side. "You remember my study partner I told you about? It's----it's her."

"Hermione?" Luna asked. "I walked in here with her. She's a lovely girl." she lowered her voice. "I could see she was in love. I just didn't know it was Harry."

Ron sighed. "It's just strange. She's----so serious and high-strung. But, Harry's completely over the moon for her."

"Maybe he brings out a different side to her," Luna said wisely.

Ron shrugged. He didn't want to spend the short time he had with Luna tonight talking about Hermione. "But other than that training's going okay. I love it when we get to fly, but I hate being stuck in a classroom."

"Have you thought any more about whether or not this is the right path for you?" Luna asked, squeezing his hand.

Ron nodded. "But, I'm here, Luna. And Mum and Dad are really proud."

"I'm proud of you too," Luna said. "Whatever you decide to do, Ronald."

"It means a lot to me that you're behind me," he said putting his arms around her. "I love you, Loony."

"I love you too," Luna smiled happily at him. "I don't want to be separated from you for even one moment tonight."

"Would you like to dance?" Ron asked offering her his hand.

"I would love to," Luna's grin was wide as he led her into the middle of the floor.

"I'll try and not step all over your feet," he promised.

"I don't' care if you do," Luna replied.

Ron smiled down at her. He'd planned on spending the evening, sitting at a table and eating himself into a stupor.

"This will be the best night," Luna rested her head against his chest. "I get to be with you."

"I'm not going to want you to leave at the end of the night," Ron said kissing the top of her head.

"I'm not going to want to go," Luna closed her eyes.

"So how are things at school?" Ron asked. "Hmm? No one's hiding your things again, are they?"

Luna giggled. "Nope. Everything's fine."

"Good," Ron said. "Because if I hear of anyone being mean to you or taking your things---"

"They'll have to deal with you," Luna kissed him.

Hermione watched her partner and his girlfriend from across the room where she stood with Justin. A wistful smile crossed her face; she wished it could be her and Harry out there showing everyone they were together.

"Luna looks really pretty, doesn't she?" Justin asked. "I mean, she's a little odd, but she is pretty."

"I think she's quite lovely," Hermione answered.

"Speaking of lovely," Justin said admiring her. "You look beautiful tonight."

"Thanks," Hermione managed a smile. She wondered where Eloise had gotten off to.

"Would you like to dance?" Justin asked.

She hadn't seen Harry yet, but didn't want him to walk in on her dancing with Justin. "How about a drink?" she asked.

"Sure," Justin said. "I'll go and get us something from the bar."

"Thanks," Hermione replied, spotting Eloise across the room. She motioned for the other girl to join her.

Eloise stumbled a bit in the shoes Lavender had talked her into wearing with her costume, but thankfully Justin didn't see that since he was walking in the other direction.

"What are you doing all the way over there?" Hermione asked. "If you want Justin to notice you, you've got to be in his eyesight."

"He's probably going to laugh his head off when he sees me," Eloise mumbled.

"No he's not," Hermione replied.

Eloise stood up straight and looked over at the bar where Justin was talking to Ernie. "I can do this, right Hermione?"

"Absolutely," Hermione replied. "Go on over there and talk to him."

Eloise blushed. "Um---okay."

"Just talk to him," Hermione coached. "You'll know what to say when the time comes."

Eloise nodded and slowly walked across the ballroom to the bar. She had practically swooned when she'd seen Justin in his costume. He was dressed as a medieval knight.

She swallowed hard as she moved next to him at the bar. "Um... excuse me?" she tried to get the attention of the bartender, hoping perhaps some liquid courage would help her.

The bartender didn't hear her and he continued to wait on the other guests.

Eloise held up her hand to get his attention but she accidentally hit Justin on the shoulder. "Oh! I'm sorry!"

"It's ok," Justin didn't look over at her.

"You---you look really nice tonight, Justin," Eloise said.

"What?" he finally turned to look at her.

"I said you look nice tonight," Eloise repeated trying to sound confident.

"Well, hello," Ernie said leering at her. "I don't think we've had the pleasure of meeting...."

Eloise looked at the other boy. "Ernie..." she said. "It's me... um... it's Eloise. Eloise Midgen."

Ernie laughed. "Yeah, right and I'm Harry Potter."

"Eloise?" Justin stared at her.

"Hi," she said blushing.

"Hi..." Justin said, his gaze fixated on her.

"Midgen?" Ernie asked, his jaw dropping. "That's you?"

Eloise nodded. "Yeah, it's me."

"You sure clean up good," he said, pushing Justin aside.

"Thanks," Eloise replied. "I--I was trying to get a drink."

"I'll get that," Ernie bragged. "Oi! Over here!"

"You don't have to," Eloise said looking longingly at Justin.

"I'll get you something," Justin offered.

"That would be lovely," Eloise replied smiling at him.

"Do you like champagne?" he asked.

"I love it," Eloise said.

Ernie glared at his friend. "I said I would get it."

"It's okay," Eloise was overjoyed that Justin was paying attention to her.

Justin ordered a glass of champagne for her, momentarily forgetting that Hermione was waiting for him.

"Fine," Ernie said irritably. "Just ignore me."

"You look really, really great, Eloise," Justin said admiringly. "I didn't even recognise you."

Eloise wasn't sure if that was a compliment or not but decided to take it as one. "Thank you," she blushed.

Justin handed her a glass of champagne. "Here you are."

"Thanks," she said again, wanting to mentally kick herself.

"It's nice, isn't it?" Justin asked looking around the room. "All of us forgetting about training and just having a good time?"

Eloise nodded. "It's fun to see everyone dressed up like this too."

"It is," Justin agreed. He couldn't take his eyes off of her. Where had she been hiding this part of herself? He'd always thought she was nice, but she'd always seemed so shy.

"I really like your costume," Eloise said, fiddling with her skirt.

"Thanks," Justin said with a grin. "I like it because I get to have a sword."

Eloise burst out with a rather girlish giggle, immediately wanting to kick herself. She sounded like an imbecile!

"Hey, Lancelot," Ernie said clapping him on the back. "You remember that you have a date, right?"

Justin glared at Ernie. "I haven't forgotten."

"You want me to go and keep Granger company?" Ernie asked.

Justin sighed. "No that's okay..." he replied.

Eloise looked at Justin. "Um, would you---would you want to dance maybe?"

He had to admit he very much wanted to dance with her. "I really should get back to Hermione," he answered reluctantly.

"Oh, right," Eloise said quietly. "Sure..."

"Save one for me later?" he asked, smiling at her.

"Of course," Eloise promised, beaming at him.

Hermione smiled in Eloise's direction as she turned again to look for Harry. She wondered if he planned on showing up or not.

Harry walked into the ballroom with Tonks on his arm. He honestly hadn't planned on going with anyone, but his old friend had begged him so she could save face in front of Lupin and his date.

"This is ridiculous," he told her. "Why don't you just go and tell him how you feel?"

"Because he's with that---that woman," Tonks said scanning the room for any sight of him.

"I bet if you told him how you feel he'd drop her faster than a dungbomb," Harry replied, also looking around.

"I'm going to tell him," Tonks said. "Eventually. Um, Harry? How do I look? This costume isn't lame, is it?"

"Tonks, no one could ever say you were lame," Harry shook his head.

"I just don't look that much different from how I usually dress," Tonks said smoothing down her skirt.

"You look fine," Harry said. Tonks was dressed like a 60's swinger- complete with bright green hair.

"So do you," Tonks said grinning at him. "You promise not to make me walk the plank?"

"Only if you drink all the rum," Harry joked.

Tonks laughed and nudged him. "No worries about that. I need all my wits about me tonight."

Harry nodded absently as he scanned the room for Hermione. He told himself that they couldn't afford to be caught together, but he needed to see her.

He saw her on the other side of the room talking to Lavender and Charlie.

He sucked in a breath as he saw her costume- the gypsy outfit didn't leave much to the imagination. She looked absolutely gorgeous.

"Harry?" Tonks asked.

"What?" he asked distractedly.

"Did you want to get something to eat?" Tonks asked motioning to the table. Hermione was standing over there so it was pretty much a no-brainer for Harry.

"Yes," he replied instantly.

"Great," Tonks threaded her arm through his again.

"Harry," Charlie said warmly when they joined them.

"Hi everyone," Harry answered. "Having fun?"

"Absolutely," Lavender replied. "Right, Hermione?"

"Right," Hermione murmured, trying not to gape at Harry.

"Have any of you seen Remus Lupin?" Tonks asked.

Lavender shook her head.

"I think I saw him earlier over there," Charlie motioned towards where the tables were set up.

Tonks looked at Harry.

"Go," he said shaking his head. "And remember what I said."

Tonks nodded. "Here goes nothing..."

"She is so cool," Lavender said admiringly.

Hermione looked up at Harry and discreetly nodded her head to the doors.

He gave a slight nod in return. "If you'll excuse me, I have to find Kingsley. I'll catch up with you later, eh Charlie?"

"All work and no play," Charlie joked, his arm around Lavender.

Harry walked away sharing a quick look with Hermione.

They went out of different doors, then around the corner and into an empty room.

"Alone at last," Hermione said grinning at him.

He smiled back before locking the door. "Sorry I was late," he said softly.

"You came with Tonks?" Hermione asked.

"As a favour," Harry said, sliding his hands around her bare waist.

Hermione smiled up at him. "Do you want to dance with me?" They could hear the faint sounds of the music in the small room.

"More than you know," Harry said, drawing her close to him.

Hermione rested her head on his chest. "This is what I was looking forward to the most."

"Me too," Harry answered, running his fingers through her hair. "I kept thinking about you all day."

Hermione sighed in contentment. She would have been happy just staying here with him all evening.

"I wish we could be out there dancing together." Harry continued quietly.

"This is fine," Hermione reassured him. "This is actually damn near perfect."

"I love being alone with you," Harry said.

"Me too," Hermione said softly.

"And..." Harry pulled her closer. "I love you."

"I love you too," Hermione said tilting her head upward.

He leaned in and kissed her, first gently then with more passion.

"Harry," Hermione whispered when he moved down to her neck.

"I can't help it," he muttered. "I've been wanting to do this all day long."

"No complaints here," Hermione said closing her eyes.

He pushed her over to the desk that sat in the corner of the room, setting her down on top of it.

Hermione knew it was bad, but the thought that they could get caught was turning her on. She didn't know what had gotten into her. Wait, yes she did. She was in love.

"I need you," Harry said intently.

Hermione grinned. "I need you too."

Harry reached under the long skirt as she pulled at the trousers he wore.

"We don't have much time," Hermione said before he kissed her again.

"I know," he said as he pulled her knickers down. "I don't care."

"Neither do I," Hermione said putting her arms around his neck.

Harry wasted no time in pushing himself inside her.

Hermione bit her bottom lip to keep from crying out.

Harry kissed her again, over and over as they pushed against each other.

"Harry," Hermione breathed. "Don't stop."

Harry shook his head. "Never," he answered.

Hermione smiled and wrapped her legs around his waist.

Harry went into her even deeper and the desk banged against the wall as he thrust hard.

Hermione buried her face in his shoulder. Harry clenched her in his arms before she went limp against his body. "Hermione..."

Hermione wasn't capable of coherent thought at the moment.

Harry brushed a loose curl over her shoulder.

Hermione looked up at him. "I must look a wreck."

"You look stunning," Harry answered softly.

Hermione wasn't so sure about that. She had a feeling that if they stepped out of the room now everyone would know exactly what they'd just done.

Harry pulled away from her and they both straightened up their costumes.

"I don't want to go," Hermione said. "Not yet."

"I don't either," Harry replied. "But we can sneak out again in an hour or so."

"It's a date," Hermione said walking over to him and giving him a kiss.

Harry kept her close for a moment. "You go ahead first," he said. "I'll come back in a few minutes."

"Right," Hermione said unlocking the door. She peered out to make sure the coast was clear.

Harry watched her duck out then waited a few minutes before he headed back to the ballroom as well.

Ernie had slipped outside of the ballroom for some fresh air and he'd caught sight of Hermione leaving one of the anterooms. He wouldn't have thought anything of it had Harry Potter walked out a few minutes after her.

"Hmmm..." he said a nasty smile on his face.

Harry took a seat at the table with Tonks, Lupin and his date, Cassandra. Tonks looked quite forlorn and Harry put his arm around her. "You didn't tell him?" he asked in a whisper.

"I couldn't," Tonks muttered. "He's been all over her."

Harry smiled. "Leave it to me."

Tonks looked at him, but Harry just gave her a wink.

"Cassandra, would you like to dance?" Harry asked the older woman.

Cassandra gave him a strange look. "With you?"

"Sure, if your date doesn't mind," Harry replied.

Lupin nodded. "Sure."

Cassandra stood up and followed Harry onto the dance floor.

"You two look like you are having a good time," Tonks said conversationally.

"It's been nice catching up," Lupin replied noncommittally. "Are you having fun, Nymphadora?"

Tonks shook her head. "Not really."

"Why not?" Lupin focused his gaze on her.

Tonks took a deep breath before speaking. "Well, there was someone that I really wanted to go with, but he didn't ask me."

Lupin smiled at her. "He must be quite the fool, Nymphadora."

"That's just it," Tonks said, tracing her finger along the rim of her glass. "He's one of the smartest blokes I know. He just---he can't seem to see what's been right in front of him the whole time."

Lupin turned to look at Harry and Cassandra out on the dance floor. "Do I know him?"

"In a word, yes, but---" Tonks started to say.

"Tonks," Kingsley Shacklebolt said coming up behind her.

She sighed. "Yes sir?"

"I hate to bother you, but I was wondering if you finished those reports?" Kingsley asked.

"I put them on your desk before I left tonight," Tonks said irritably.

"Good," Kingsley nodded. "Well, enjoy the rest of your evening."

Tonks rolled her eyes. "I'll try..."

"So," Lupin said when they were alone again. "What were you saying about that bloke you fancy, Nymphadora?"

"Nothing," Tonks glared at him.

"Would you like to dance?" Lupin asked. "Maybe that might make you feel better?"

Tonks was surprised. "You want to dance with me?"

"Absolutely," Lupin replied. "But I must warn you, I'm not that great at it."

"That's okay," Tonks said eagerly.

Lupin walked around the table and offered her his hand. "My lady..."

She blushed. "Thank you."

Lupin led her out onto the dance floor. Harry gave Tonks a wink, but she wasn't holding out hope that this was anything more than just a dance.

"Your costume is really quite interesting," Lupin said.

"It's certainly not as flashy as your Cassandra's," Tonks said before she could stop herself.

Lupin smiled. "MY Cassandra is it?"

"She's your date," Tonks said looking up at him. "And you seem to fancy her."

"She's a friend," Lupin said, spinning her around. "I enjoy her company."

Tonks stumbled a bit on the turn. She blushed and wished she was as graceful as some of the other women at the ball.

"Easy there," Lupin chuckled, pulling her closer.

"Sorry," Tonks muttered. She looked properly at him. "So what made you dress up like this?"

"It was the only thing I could find," Lupin replied.

"And how lovely that you and----Cassandra match," Tonks said trying to sound sincere.

"I hardly think she enjoys being a vampiress," Lupin was amused.

"She fits the part," Tonks muttered under her breath.

"What?" Lupin hadn't heard her.

"Nothing," Tonks said hastily. "You're actually quite a good dancer, Remus."

"Helps when one has a good partner," Lupin said, looking at her.

Tonks beamed up at him.

"Your costume... interesting... and quite fetching." Lupin winked at her.

"You really think so?" Tonks asked proudly. "I made it myself."

"I do," Remus spun her around again.

This time, she didn't stumble and she felt as if she was floating on air.

"See?" Lupin pulled her close again. "We make a good team..."

"We always have," Tonks said dreamily.

She felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see Cassandra looking none too pleased.

"I suppose you'd like to cut in," Tonks said quietly.

"Remus IS my date," Cassandra said icily.

"Right," Tonks said turning back to Lupin. "Thank you for the dance."

Lupin nodded to her. "Save another for me later, Nymphadora?"

Tonks nodded before making a hasty retreat. She sat back down with Harry at the table.

"How'd it go?" Harry asked. "I kept the Ice Queen at bay for as long as I could."

"It was very lovely." Tonks said. "I owe you one, Harry."

"He'll come around," Harry told her.

"I hope so," Tonks said. "She doesn't deserve him."

"No, she doesn't," Harry said. He saw Ron and Luna at a nearby table and he wanted to say hello. He asked Tonks if she'd be okay for a few moments alone and she nodded. Harry walked over to his friends and saw that Ron was doing something with the crackers on his plate.

"I can probably stack them as high as twenty and get them in my mouth," he was telling Luna, who seemed in awe.

"I would love to see it," she was transfixed.

Ron grabbed a couple more crackers from the platter in the middle of the table. "Okay...how many is that?"

"Ron, what the hell are you doing?" Harry asked taking a seat opposite him.

"What I do best," Ron cracked.

"You're really going to cram all of those into your mouth at one time?" Harry asked.

"That's twenty there, Ronald," Luna said softly.

"Should I make it twenty one?" Ron asked her.

Luna nodded and handed him one more. "Go for it, Ronald."

"Anything for you," Ron winked at her.

"Ron," Harry shook his head. "That's disgusting."

"I think it's amazing," Luna said resting her cheek in her palm as she gazed adoringly at him.

Harry shook his head. He wondered if he should go look for one of his students to dance with to take his mind off Hermione.

"How long are you here for, Luna?" Harry asked her.

"Until midnight," Luna told him. "Then, I have to go back to Hogwarts."

"I'm sure Ron here is glad you could make it," Harry said.

"My girl surprised me," Ron said before cramming the crackers in his mouth.

"Oh Ronald," Luna's eyes went glassy.

Harry just shook his head. "I'll catch up with you lot later."

"See you," Ron sprayed cracker crumbs all over the place.

Harry stood up and caught sight of Kingsley Shacklebolt dancing with Lavender. If the head of the department was dancing with one of the students, there was nothing to say he couldn't dance with Hermione.

Trying to contain his broad smile, he walked over to where she was standing with Justin and Eloise.

"Hello, Harry," Eloise said warmly.

"Eloise," Harry nodded. "You look quite lovely this evening."

Eloise blushed. "Thank you. Lavender and Hermione helped me get ready."

"I think they did a great job," Justin told her.

"Eloise, this is your favourite song, isn't it?" Hermione asked. She'd noticed Justin giving her friend looks all evening. "How about you and Justin have a go on the dance floor?"

"If he wants to," Eloise said shyly.

"Sure, if you don't mind, Hermione," Justin said practically jumping to his feet.

"I don't mind," Hermione said. "Have fun out there."

Eloise shyly took Justin's hand and he led her out onto the dance floor.

"Justin and Eloise, eh?" Harry asked raising an eyebrow.

"She fancies him quite a bit," Hermione said. "I know how that feels."

"So do I," Harry said grinning at her. "So...I was wondering if maybe you'd like to dance with me?"

"You think that'd be okay?" Hermione asked.

"One dance is perfectly innocent," Harry said motioning to where Lavender was just finishing her dance with Kingsley.

"Okay," Hermione took his hand.

"I'll be sure to dance with Lavender and Eloise too," Harry said as he put his arms on her waist.

Hermione nodded. "As long as we can still meet at least once more tonight."

"I think that can be arranged," Harry said softly.

"You have no idea how much I want to kiss you right now," Hermione admitted.

"I think I do," Harry said smiling at her. "Do you imagine what would happen if we did that---right here?"

"All hell would break loose," Hermione said wryly.

"Well, since we've already broken the rules," Harry said trying very hard to keep her at a distance so as not to attract attention. "How about we go all out? How about you come back to my place after the ball?"

Hermione stared at him. "I wasn't aware I could leave."

"I won't tell if you don't," Harry whispered.

"Of course I want to come," Hermione nodded.

Harry gave her a lazy grin. "So, that's a yes?"

"A big yes," Hermione grinned back at him.

"I can't wait to take this costume off of you," he whispered in her ear.

"It's quite easy to do so," Hermione closed her eyes for a moment.

Ernie was dancing with a girl from one of the other trainee classes. He couldn't help looking at Potter and Granger. There was definitely something going on there, but what?

"Hey, Annie?" Ernie asked the girl in his arms. "What would happen if a student and an instructor were caught in a compromising position?"

"Do you have the hots for Lupin?" Annie teased.

Ernie rolled his eyes. "Do you know or don't you?"

"Well," Annie said thoughtfully. "The rules specifically state that relationships between students and instructors that go beyond the classroom are prohibited. I heard someone talking about this instructor a few years back who was caught in the supply closet with one of the first-year students. He was sacked."

"What happened to the student?" Ernie asked.

"She was thrown out of the program," Annie remembered. "Disgraced completely."

"I see," Ernie nodded.

"There's no one here that I'd risk all of that for," Annie said. She blushed. "Well, maybe Harry Potter..."

Ernie rolled his eyes. "He's a jerk."

"He's hot," Annie said looking over at him. "And he's been through so much..."

Ernie pulled away from her. "Yet another fan," he snapped.

"Do you have any idea who his mystery woman is?" Annie asked. "I was wondering if he'd bring her here tonight."

"No clue," Ernie said sourly.

Ernie put his arms around Annie and moved her closer to where Hermione and Harry were on the dance floor.

Harry had to remember twice to keep Hermione back at a distance and figured it probably wasn't the best idea to have asked her to dance when he wanted to do so much more.

Ernie strained to hear over the music.

"...this mean you can tell the future?" Ernie heard Harry ask Hermione.

Hermione laughed. "No more than you can."

"You didn't take Divination in school then?" Harry asked.

"Hardly," Hermione said. "What a waste of time."

"You should have heard some of the things that Ron and I used to come up with in our Divination class," Harry said laughing. "And she bought every single one our 'predictions'."

"Tell me more," Hermione grinned at him.

"Well let's see Ron used to go over the top with some of his predictions," Harry said with a grin. "He used to come up with the stuff like, 'Next Monday, I will develop a cough due to the unlucky conjunction of Mars and Jupiter'. All you had to do was put is some ailment or disease or some calamity and she just ate it up."

"So I'm sure you were a favourite target of hers," Hermione replied as Harry turned them around.

"Absolutely," Harry said. "She loved predicting my doom."

Hermione shook her head. "And how wrong she actually was..."

Annie started to say something to Ernie and he glared at her. "Shhh."

"What?" Annie asked.

"Just shut up," Ernie said irritably.

"You're a jerk!" Annie retorted before stalking off the dance floor.

Harry and Hermione stopped talking and looked over at him. "Alright?" Harry asked.

"Just bloody perfect," Ernie muttered.

"Thanks for the dance," Harry looked at Hermione. "I had a nice time."

"Thank you, Harry," Hermione said politely. "Enjoy the rest of your evening."

Harry nodded to her before they walked away separately.

Ernie hoped the two of them didn't think they were fooling anyone. There was definitely something going on and he was going to find out what it was.

Across the room, Lavender was trying to convince Charlie to dance.

"Come on," Lavender said tugging on his arm. "I'm a good dancer. You saw me dancing with Mr. Shacklebolt. He survived."

"I'm not that great at it," Charlie said. "I'm more concerned about you than me."

"But I don't care," Lavender said. "Come on... I'm dying to get back out there!"

"Do I get to hold you close?" Charlie asked pretending to think this over.

"As close as you want," Lavender said coyly.

Charlie stood up quickly. "What are we waiting for then? Come on Miss Brown."

Lavender grinned happily as they went out onto the dance floor and he pulled her body against his. "I am so, so happy you're here tonight."

"Me too," Charlie said softly. "And it's nice to have the real thing in my arms instead of looking at your photo."

"Tell me about it," Lavender kissed him.

Charlie's arms snaked around her waist and he deepened their kiss.

He was so amazingly good at this, Lavender thought dreamily.

"You know," Charlie said grinning at her when they pulled apart. "My brothers gave me some information about you. Fred and George wanted to tell me all about you...."

"I hardly knew your brothers," Lavender blushed. "Aside from Ron."

"Don't you mean 'Won-Won'?" Charlie asked teasingly.

"Shut it," Lavender said, her face going even redder.

"Are you going to call me Char Char?" Charlie asked tickling her side.

"Would you like me to?" Lavender teased.

Charlie shook his head. "Just plain Charlie is fine."

"You look like more than just plain Charlie tonight," Lavender commented, looking at his tight fitting trousers.

"I had to for my girl," Charlie said grinning at her.

Lavender was pleased. "I'm your girl?"

Charlie kissed her in response. "What do you think?"

"I think I am," Lavender said softly. "You've made me so happy already, Charlie."

Charlie held her close. "You've made me really happy too. It's been a long time since I felt this way."

"Not even for Jessica?" Lavender couldn't resist asking.

"Jess and I are just friends," Charlie replied.

"But she fancies you," Lavender pressed. "Well she did until Harry showed up."

"She's a good friend," Charlie said. "But she's no Lavender Brown."

Lavender grinned as he spun her around. "I am one of a kind."

"And you have great taste in blokes," Charlie said puffing his chest out.

"That I do," Lavender pushed her hair over her shoulder.

"Does this mean I get a necklace?" Charlie couldn't resist asking. "Ron got one..."

Lavender poked his shoulder. "Play your cards right and you'll get anything you want from me."

"I never listen to Fred and George anyway," Charlie said giving her another kiss.

At their table, Luna had watched Ron polish off two helpings of the main course as well as half of hers.

"This is almost as good as my mum's," Ron said grabbing his napkin and wiping his mouth. "But don't tell her that."

"She wouldn't hear it from me," Luna had barely taken her eyes off him all evening.

"Now, I'm ready for dessert," Ron said looking meaningfully at her.

"I'll go get us something--" Luna began.

Ron shook his head and leaned in nuzzling her neck. "Dessert is right here."

"Ronald," Luna closed her eyes.

"Just as I like it," Ron said against her skin.

"Will you ask me to dance now?" Luna asked softly.

Ron wasn't much for dancing, but he would have done anything she asked. "Sure, would you like to dance?"

"I'd love to," Luna said happily.

"Have I told you how beautiful you look?" Ron asked as he led her onto the dance floor. "Because you really do look beautiful, Luna."

"Your sister helped me put this together," Luna told him.

"Remind me to thank her," Ron said. "Her and McGonagall. I bet that old bird misses me, doesn't she?"

Luna giggled. "Just a bit."

"I had her wrapped around my finger," Ron boasted.

"Just like I have you around mine," Luna put her arms around his neck.

"Absolutely," Ron said happily.

"Where I'll always have you, I hope." Luna put her head on his shoulder.

"Always," Ron replied without hesitation. "I'd do anything for you."

"I love you so much," Luna said.

"I love you too," Ron said. He hated the thought of being away from her. He hoped that she was being honest with him when she told him no one was bothering her at school. She said it didn't bother her, but he still hated it. He guessed that was in part because he used to participate in those pranks.

"Daddy's thinking of adding a new column to the paper," Luna told him.

"What about?" Ron asked.

She smiled at him. "A food critic column."

Ron looked at her. "That sounds like something I could do."

Luna nodded. "That's exactly what I was thinking."

"I'm not much of a writer though," Ron said. "And I'm busy with training..."

"Just think about it," Luna pushed his hair back.

"I will," he promised. "I read that guest column you wrote in the last issue."

"What did you think?" Luna asked eagerly.

"Best one yet," Ron said truthfully. "You're a great writer, Luna."

Luna gave him a kiss. "It's what I want to do when I leave school."

"Too bad we can't move in together like we planned," Ron said thoughtfully. "But once training's through and I don't have to live in the dorms..."

Luna nodded. "I wish it wasn't three years from now."

"We'll have weekends," Ron promised. "And we'll make the most of what time we do have."

Luna nodded as she nestled herself in his arms.

He knew that she was worried about him and that she had her doubts as to whether his heart was in this, but he had a lot of people counting on him and he didn't want to let any of them down.

Across the room Harry had just finished dancing with Eloise and she went shyly back to where Justin was sitting.

Justin couldn't get over the change in his classmate. He'd have never guessed that a beautiful girl was lurking underneath the bulky jumpers Eloise favoured.

"Is it okay if I sit down?" she asked softly.

"Absolutely," Justin replied.

"Harry's a pretty good dancer," Eloise volunteered. "But not as good as you."

Justin grinned. "Thanks."

Eloise wasn't sure what else to say. She folded her hands in her lap and chanced a smile at Justin. It was really quite unbelievable, the amount of attention he had paid her tonight. She felt bad about him leaving Hermione all by herself but the other girl had assured her it was fine.

"You really look nice tonight," Justin said softly. "Not that you don't look nice, but tonight---wow."

Eloise blushed deeply. "Thank you."

"Are you doing anything tomorrow?" Justin asked.

"I was planning on studying," Eloise wanted to smack herself as soon as the words came out of her mouth. Could she sound any lamer?

"Well, I was planning on going for a jog tomorrow morning," Justin said. "And I was wondering if perhaps you might want to join me?"

"You want me to go with you?" Eloise asked.

Justin nodded. "I'd really like it if you did."

"I'd love to," she said quickly.

Justin reached for her hand. "I'll meet you downstairs tomorrow morning---say around nine? We could grab breakfast before we go..."

Eloise was trembling with excitement. "Okay."

"It's a date," Justin said grinning at her.

Hermione watched from a distance and even though she didn't know what was being said, she had a feeling Eloise was having a good time.

A date, Eloise thought with excitement. She actually had a DATE with Justin.

To her delight, he was also asking her for one last dance. She practically floated onto the dance floor after him.

Lavender caught up to Hermione. "Our work here is done. How cute are they?"

"Very," Hermione smiled at her. "It's been a great night for all of us."

"I know this can't have been very easy on you," Lavender said sympathetically.

Hermione shrugged. "It's not been so bad. I mean, I do wish we could be public..."

Lavender gave her a friend a hug. "I'm happy for you both."

"Thanks," Hermione said. "Listen... would you be able to cover for me if anyone asks for me tonight? He wants me to come back to his place." she whispered.

Lavender grinned. "Oh....."

"Unless of course you're going with Charlie," Hermione said.

"No," Lavender said. "He's due back in Romania tonight at midnight. Kind of like Cinderella."

"Luna said it was the same way for her," Hermione nodded.

"At least we were able to spend some time together," Lavender said. She turned to see where Charlie was and she saw a peculiar pairing. Ernie Macmillan was talking with Padma Patil.

Hermione also saw them. "What do you think they're up to?"

Lavender shrugged. "Maybe they're talking about great they both think Ernie is."

Hermione laughed. "Great and Ernie do not go in the same sentence."

"He thinks differently," Lavender said looking once more at Padma and Ernie. It was probably nothing, but she couldn't shake the feeling that Ernie was up to something.

"I think I'm going to duck out," Hermione had caught Harry's eye from across the room. "You enjoy the rest of your night with Charlie."

"You behave yourself," Lavender called out to her.

"Look who's talking," Hermione retorted with a grin.

Ernie nudged Padma. "Potter's leaving."

Padma rolled her eyes. "I honestly don't care what he's doing, Ernie."

"But don't you want to get him sacked?" Ernie asked.

"Everyone here thinks of him like a god," Padma said motioning for the bartender. "There's nothing that he could do that could get him sacked. I'm waiting for them to declare him a saint."

Ernie rolled his eyes. "He's a horrible teacher."

Padma drained the rest of her glass. "He's a horrible person. He should be in Azkaban for what he did to my sister!"

"Should be," Ernie nodded. "And if I can prove my suspicions..."

"Prove your suspicions about what?" Padma asked.

Ernie motioned to where Harry was walking toward the front doors of the ballroom. He stopped and looked at Hermione for a brief moment before walking away.

"Just watch," Ernie said. "In about a minute, she's going to follow him."

"Who is that?" Padma asked. "Who's that girl?"

"Granger," Ernie replied. "One of my fellow students."

Padma watched as the brunette girl dressed as a gypsy waited a few moments before casually leaving the ballroom. "You're saying that they're involved?" she asked Ernie.

"Seems that way," Ernie replied.

"Do you have proof?" Padma asked.

"Well no," Ernie confessed.

Padma sighed. There was no way they'd be able to bring him down without solid proof. Just like always, Harry would get away with it.

"I'll find some," Ernie said determinedly.

Padma looked at him. "Count me in."

Ernie smiled nastily. "Perfect."

"We have to make him pay," Padma said. "We have to make sure that he loses everything. Just like my family did."

Ernie nodded. "We will."