Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: More Harry and Hermione this chapter and isn't that what we all need? We hope you enjoy this chapter!

Upstairs, Hermione knocked on the door to the classroom and let herself back in. "I thought you might be hungry," she said.

Harry looked up from his paperwork and smiled lazily at her. "Did you bring the teacher an apple?" he asked.

Hermione grinned. "One better. Apple cinnamon, actually." she set the muffin on his desk.

"Thank you," he said grinning back at her.

"That wandless magic you were talking about earlier sounds fascinating," Hermione said, setting her bag down.

"I thought I detected some interest," Harry said.

"I'm going later to the library to do some research," Hermione replied. "I can't wait to read more about it."

"You know you get this look in your eyes when you're excited about something," he said looking at her. "Your whole face lights up."

"I hadn't realised you were paying that close attention," Hermione smiled at him.

Harry waved his hand causing the door to close and lock. "I'm trying not to in here. But, it's difficult."

Hermione nodded. "But we're doing pretty well so far..."

"One day," Harry said coming around the desk.

"So two years and three hundred sixty four days to go?" Hermione asked dryly as he pulled her to him.

"You started a countdown?" he asked nuzzling her neck.

"I can't help it," Hermione closed her eyes. "Sort of looking forward to the end of the three years all of a sudden."

Harry felt a twinge of guilt for asking her to hide like this, but it truly was the only way they could be together.

Hermione leaned in and brushed her lips over his. "We still have a few minutes, don't we?"

"Mmmhmm," he said softly. "You have any ideas?"

"A few," Hermione pressed her lips to his.

Harry deepened the kiss and snaked his arms around her waist pulling her even closer.

Hermione knew how dangerous it was for them to be kissing like this right in the classroom but the forbidden nature of it only made it appeal to her more.

"Do you think you can get away tonight?" he asked. "Just for a couple of hours?"

"I'll try," she promised. "In your office?"

"I know it's not the greatest of places," he apologised.

"I don't care," Hermione answered.

He kissed her again and they lost themselves in what they were doing, but Harry knew they were on borrowed time. Summoning his willpower, he reluctantly pulled away from her. Any moment now the other students would return to the classroom.

Hermione straightened out her hair and her robes. "What time tonight?" she asked softly.

"I have a briefing at six," he told her. "It shouldn't take too long. Say seven?"

"Seven it is," Hermione nodded, kissing him quickly before retreating to her desk. "Eat your muffin."

"You're bossy," Harry commented taking a seat at his desk. "I like that."

Hermione laughed. "I bet you do."

With a wave of his hand, Harry unlocked and opened the door.

"Will you be coming with us to Romania?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. "I have to be there."

Hermione smiled and started to say something when Lavender came back into the classroom. She made a beeline for Harry.

"Yes?" Harry asked.

"Mr. Elusive," Lavender said eagerly. "How was the big date with Megan?"

"We're getting married," Harry said trying to keep a straight face.

"WHAT?" Lavender shrieked. "HARRY HAVE YOU GONE INSANE?"

Harry laughed. "Easy, Lavender. I was only kidding. Megan...Megan and I probably aren't going to go on a second date."

"I didn't really think she was your type," Lavender replied smugly.

"Apparently Dean thought so," Harry said.

"What does he know," Lavender waved her hand.

"Apparently not much," Harry replied. "Megan thought I should have invited her out for a later time so we could have been seen. She thought I should have taken her to the jeweller's to buy a diamond. Oh, and she thought that I should really get my hair lightened and trimmed because according to her the messy look was in a long time ago, but right now it just doesn't cut it especially if we're photographed."

Hermione blinked. "What's wrong with your hair?" she asked.

Harry shrugged. "She said that I had that just got out of bed look."

"Parvati loved how your hair looked," Lavender remarked.

Hermione looked down at her book, feeling more than a little uncomfortable.

"Do you remember when she tried to cut your hair for you?" Lavender asked, smiling at the memory.

Harry smiled. "Yeah... and I grew it back overnight? She was pretty ticked at me."

"But she didn't stay mad at you for long," Lavender said. "She never could."

Harry opened his mouth to reply but Ron and Justin came back into the room.

"Hiya, Hermione," Justin said walking past her to take his seat.

"Hi Justin," Hermione smiled up at him.

"I looked for you yesterday," he said. "I was going to see if you wanted to study."

"Oh," Hermione said. "Um.... I sort of holed up in the library."

Justin raised an eyebrow. "Really? I was in there most of the day. I didn't see you."

"I was off in a corner," Hermione lied. "Sort of buried back there..."

"Oh," Justin said. "Well, I'll look for you back there next time."

"Sure..." Hermione nodded, making a mental note to prepare a better story for next time.

The other students trickled into the classroom, with Ernie bringing up the rear. He shot Harry a smartass grin before sitting down at his desk.

"I hope you all enjoyed Charlie's speech this morning," Harry began. "I hope you took some good notes- you'll need them for next weekend when we go to Romania."

"We're not going to battle the dragons, are we?" Eloise asked a worried expression on her face.

Harry smiled. "No. You'll observe them though; see how they interact with the handlers there and each other."

Eloise relaxed. "Good. I don't think I could battle a dragon."

Ernie snorted. "No one but our perfect instructor can do that."

"And how many dragons have YOU battled?" Ron asked.

Ernie glared back at him in response.

Harry chose to ignore Ernie's remarks. He started the second part of that day's lesson concerning wandless magic. They would begin the practical part of their training on that skill after the trip to Romania, but he wanted to go over the fundamentals.

He had them do a simple spell of shutting their textbooks without using their hands or wands. "Concentrate," he said. "You really have to focus at first on doing this."

Hermione did as he instructed and to her delight, she was the first to successfully shut her textbook.

"Very good," Harry said approvingly, smiling at her.

Hermione smiled back at his praise.

Lavender was struggling with the task. On her first attempt, she concentrated too hard and her book flew across the room.

"Ow!" Ernie glared at her. "Watch what you're doing!"

"Sorry," Lavender apologised. Harry retrieved the book and handed it back to her.

"Just close your eyes," he told her. "Concentrate. Block out everything else and just picture the book closing, Lav. You can do this."

Lavender nodded. She held her hand over the book and imagined it closing.

The book closed and Harry laughed when he saw Lavender's eyes were still closed.

"Open your eyes and see what you did," Harry told her.

Lavender peeked. "I did it!" she brightened.

Hermione smiled at her friend. "Good job!"

Ernie rolled his eyes. He didn't see what closing a damn textbook with a wave of your hand had to do with being an Auror.

"Ernie?" Harry asked. "Have you managed to close your book?"

Ernie waved his hand over the book and shot Harry a smirk as the book closed.

"Good," Harry nodded.

Justin looked over at his friend after Harry had moved on to help Eloise. "Ernie, come on. You're digging yourself into a hole, mate."

"I'm fine," Ernie said coldly.

"You are going to keep on until you're thrown out of the program," Justin hissed. "Is that what you want?"

"I don't think Potter knows what he's talking about," Ernie snapped back. "Just because the rest of you worship him doesn't mean I have to!"

Justin rolled his eyes. There was apparently no way to get through to Ernie.

"I'm pleased that most of you were able to do this without much coaching," Harry was standing again in front of the class. "Next lesson, we'll try something else. For the remainder of today, I'd like us to try some more flying exercises outside."

Ron grinned. "Fantastic!"

Hermione was slightly less enthusiastic. She may have somewhat mastered a broom but she still wasn't so keen on flying.

"You can leave your belongings in here," Harry told them. "We'll head on out to the field."

Ernie followed Justin out of the room. At least flying was a somewhat useful way of spending their time.

Hermione hung back by Lavender. "I hope I can manage my broom this time," she said.

"You'll be fine," Lavender reassured her. "You're great at everything else."

Harry noticed Hermione's expression and dropped back to talk to her. "You all right?"

"Just a little nervous about getting back on a broom," Hermione admitted.

"You're going to be fine," Harry assured her. "Just remember what we went over when I gave you that lesson."

Hermione nodded. "Easier said than done."

"I know you can do it," Harry said quietly.

"We'll see," Hermione said. "I wish I could be like you on a broom. Completely fearless."

Harry smiled. "Are you hinting for another private lesson?"

"Maybe," Hermione said laughing. "I think I need all the help I can get."

Harry nodded. "After today's lesson then?"

"I'd like that," Hermione replied.

"Today, just try what I told you before," Harry said. "We aren't going to do anything too difficult."

Hermione certainly liked the sound of that. She could definitely do with nice and easy, especially when it came to flying.

Harry led them to the rows of brooms. "Everyone pick one, and I'll meet you up in the air."

"Too bad these aren't Firebolts," Ron said grabbing one from the pile.

Hermione grimaced. "This one's fast enough for me."

Ernie was sick of watching Granger get all the accolades. Lupin and Potter seemed to think she could do no wrong. Well, there was one thing she wasn't great at and he was determined to show her up today.

Ernie was the first of them to take to the sky; he watched with disdain as a few of them had trouble getting their brooms to respond yet again.

These people had no business being Aurors if they couldn't even fly. Eloise Midgen, Hermione Granger and Lavender Brown had no business here.

"Come on already," he sneered as Ron and Justin flew up to join him.

"I should probably get down there and help Hermione," Justin called out.

"She's fine without you," Ernie said crossly. "Besides, St. Potter has her covered."

Justin looked down to see Harry helping Hermione.

"Remember," Harry was perched on his broom. "You have to want to get on it."

"Right," Hermione said. She took a deep breath and held her hand over the broom. "Up!"

"Perfect," Harry grinned at her. "Come on Granger."

Hermione mounted her broom and gently pulled up on it.

"Good job Hermione!" Lavender called out to her.

Hermione grinned and managed a small wave at her friend.

"All right," Harry said once they were all up there. "I'd like you to all just coast around for awhile, and get the feel of being up in the air again. We'll start a few exercises in about ten minutes."

Hermione decided to do a few passes around the field, deciding to take it slowly. She concentrated on what she was doing and steered the broom expertly in the direction she wanted to go.

She didn't notice Ernie coming up behind her.

"Watch it, Granger!" he called out flying right above her.

Hermione shrieked and clutched onto her broomstick. "What is your problem?" she called out angrily.

Ernie laughed. "If you can't handle yourself up here, you're not going to get very far, are you?"

"I'm doing fine," Hermione snapped.

Hermione tried to fly away from him, but he apparently wasn't finished with her.

"Come on," he jeered, heading right for her. "Can you get away from the bad guys?"

Hermione tried to get out of his way, but the end of his broom struck the end of hers, sending her into a tailspin.

She screamed and clutched onto her broom.

When he heard Hermione's scream, Harry turned his head.

Her broom was spinning out of control, and Harry was incensed to see Ernie laughing at her.

"Hermione!" Lavender screamed.

Her grasp was slipping and she shrieked again as her body fell to the side. "HARRY!"

Harry flew as fast as he could to her side. He managed to grab her just before she lost her grip. Her broom fell to the ground and she clung to Harry.

"ERNIE!" Harry roared. "GET DOWN HERE NOW!"

Ernie sighed. He knew he'd overdone it a bit with Hermione, but he really was trying to help her. She had to know by now that this job wasn't for her. He took a deep breath before heading for the ground.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked her while waiting for Ernie to descend. "Hermione..."

"I thought I was going to fall," Hermione whispered. She was shaking and her face was pale.

"I wouldn't have let you," Harry said softly.

Lavender landed and hurried over to them.

"Hermione!" Lavender exclaimed. "Are you okay?"

She nodded. "Just a little shaken up."

"Go see Lupin," Harry ordered Ernie as soon as he landed. "You're not to come back to my classroom until you learn to have a little respect for other people.

"I didn't mean anything by it," Ernie argued. "I was just trying to help her."

"How?" Harry demanded. "By killing her?"

"I was just fooling around," Ernie replied. "Hermione knows that. And she's fine!"

"Oh right," Hermione answered sarcastically, her voice still shaking. "I'm just bloody peachy!"

"Lupin's office," Harry told Ernie. "NOW!"

Ernie glared angrily at Harry before stomping off the field.

"I don't know what in the world has gotten into him," Lavender said shaking her head. "He could have killed you, Hermione!"

"I'm okay," Hermione managed.

"Your hands are all scratched up," Lavender said to her. "That damn Ernie!"

Hermione glanced down at her fingers. "I have a salve in our room I can put on them."

"I can go and get it for you," Lavender offered. "If it's okay with Harry---"

"Sure," Harry replied, examining the backs of her hands.

Lavender excused herself and hurried back toward the main building.

Hermione shuddered when she thought of what might have happened if Harry hadn't swooped in and grabbed her before she'd lost her grip completely.

"Are you all right?" Harry asked again, seemingly forgetting that the others were crowded around them.

Hermione nodded. "I'm okay. I should have had better control..."

"You were doing fine until Ernie's little stunt," Harry said angrily.

Hermione noticed the others watching them. She pulled her hands away from him.

Harry seemed to wise up. "Um... if your salve doesn't work, then you should go see the nurse. They have one on call here--"

"I'll be fine," Hermione assured him. She looked over at the rest of the class. "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," Justin said. "I'm sorry about Ernie. He's not normally this insane."

"You don't have to apologise for him," Hermione said.

Justin still seemed embarrassed. "He's my friend, though. I just don't want you to think he's always that way."

Hermione didn't know about that, but she wasn't going to hold it against Justin.

Lavender returned with the salve and Hermione thanked her.

"We should get back up there," Harry said to the rest of the class. "Hermione, you're excused for the rest of this lesson."

Hermione vehemently shook her head. "I want to get back up there."

"You do?" Harry asked.

"If you get knocked down, you get right back up and try again, right?" Hermione asked. "I'll be fine."

Harry looked at her with some real respect. "We'll see you up there in five, then."

"You can use my gloves," Lavender said handing them to her.

"Thanks," Hermione smiled at her.

"Let's get up there and show those blokes how it's really done,"Lavender said winking at her.

Hermione rubbed the salve in and then put the gloves on. "I'm ready."

Harry watched as she took to the sky with Lavender and couldn't help but grin. She kept on surprising him each and every day.

"What do you think will happen to Ernie?" Ron asked.

"I'm not sure," Harry said. "I'm going to talk to Lupin later about it."

"Granger and I aren't friends, but she didn't deserve that," Ron commented.

"No, she definitely didn't," Harry answered.

"You okay?" Ron asked.

"Fine," Harry said quickly. "Let's get up there."

"Right," Ron said following him.

The rest of the afternoon went by without incident. Ernie didn't return to class, which didn't surprise anyone.

"Everyone did great today," Harry told them when they got back to the classroom. "For tomorrow, please read the first ten pages of the next chapter."

A few of the trainees groaned and Harry laughed. "Come on. I could have assigned you ten chapters."

Hermione wondered if he was giving them an easy assignment because of them meeting tonight but she didn't say anything.

"I'll see you lot tomorrow," Harry said. "And don't eat too much at lunch, Ron."

"Yeah right," Ron answered, already out the door.

Hermione grabbed her bag and started putting away her textbooks and parchment.

Harry waited to approach her until the room was empty. "I was really impressed by you today," he told her.

"You liked my spin and near freefall?" Hermione asked him.

"The fact that you got back up there afterwards," Harry replied.

"Oh," Hermione said. "That."

"I think you took everyone by surprise," Harry smiled.

"I'm not a quitter," Hermione told him. "Even though I was scared, I knew that it was something I had to do."

"You'll make it in this," Harry said intently.

His belief in her meant more than she could even put into words. "Thanks."

"I'll see you around seven," Harry said quietly.

"I'll be there," Hermione said.

Harry squeezed her hand and they left the room together.

"Harry?" Nymphadora Tonks came up behind them. "Remus wants to see you."

"Right," Harry said. "I was just heading there. Tonks, this is Hermione Granger- one of my students."

Hermione couldn't help staring at the older woman with pink hair. "Nice to meet you."

"Lovely to meet you too," Tonks grinned at her. "Let me know if he ever gives you a hard time, ok?"

"I will," Hermione said with a grin.

"I'll see you later for the flying lesson," Harry looked at her.

"Right," Hermione nodded before heading off toward the cafeteria to meet up with Lavender.

Harry and Tonks walked back toward the main offices.

"What exactly happened out there?" Tonks asked. "Remus seems pretty ticked."

Harry told her what had happened.

"What a wanker!" Tonks replied. "He should be kicked out."

"We'll see," Harry said knocking on the door to Remus' office.

"Come in, Harry." Remus said.

Harry opened the door and saw Ernie sitting down across from Remus, looking very remorseful. Harry hoped that Lupin wasn't buying this act.

"Mr. Macmillan has told me his side of the story," Remus said. "I'd like to hear yours."

Harry nodded. "We were up in the air, and I was letting my students get the feel of being on the brooms- some of them aren't so comfortable flying just yet. Hermione Granger was flying and Macmillan here decided to play some games with her."

"Mr. Macmillan said that was just having fun and he never intended for her to get hurt," Remus said levelling his gaze at Ernie.

"I'd say running into another person on a broom, forty feet in the air, isn't fun." Harry said coolly.

"Sir," Ernie said looking at Lupin. "I honestly didn't mean any harm. I'll do whatever it takes to prove myself to you."

Harry gave Lupin a look. "We need to talk in private."

"Mr. Macmillan will you please wait outside?" Lupin asked.

Ernie nodded. "Anything you say, sir."

Harry took Ernie's empty seat. It was taking all that he had not to throttle him.

"I trust you, Harry." Lupin levelled a gaze at him. "Do you believe he intentionally tried to hurt another student?"

Harry looked thoughtfully at his mentor. "No, sir. I don't think he intentionally meant to hurt her, but he was definitely trying to make her look bad. It's no secret that she's at the top of the class right now and he's jealous. He's used to being the best."

Harry looked thoughtfully at his mentor. If he was being honest, he didn't think that Ernie intentionally hurt Hermione. But, Ernie was a loose cannon and he was going to keep at this until someone did get hurt. "I don't think he did, but he's definitely a problem. She could have been seriously hurt today, Remus."

"Do you think he should be removed from the program?" Lupin asked seriously.

Harry and Ernie had never really got along very well, but Harry did know that Ernie wanted to be an Auror. "What do you think?" Harry asked.

Lupin shook his head. "This is not about what I think. You're the instructor here, and you were at the scene of the incident."

Harry wondered if he should judge Ernie at all given what he was doing with Hermione. They were breaking the rules, too.

"I think he has the makings to become a great Auror," Harry said quietly. "But his attitude has to change. He's doubted my authority from the moment he stepped into the classroom. He's made smart remarks and he seems to think he can get ahead by showing up the other students. Things are going to have to change if he wants to remain in the program."

Lupin nodded. "Thank you Harry. I'll have a word with him."

Harry stood up. "We're still meeting at six?"

"Yes," Lupin answered. "I'll see you then."

On his way out, he passed Ernie who was sitting just outside with Tonks.

"Lupin wants to see you," he stated coolly.

"Haven't you ever done something you regretted?" Ernie asked him.

"Many a time," Harry replied. "But never what you did today."

Ernie looked at him. "I'm sorry about today. Really."

Harry couldn't tell if he was serious or not, but he nodded silently.

Ernie walked into Lupin's office and Harry hoped he'd done the right thing. He did know that if Ernie so much as laid a finger on Hermione again, he wasn't going to let it slide.

"He seems genuine," Tonks offered.

"What are you still doing here?" Harry asked eager to change the subject.

"Just waiting for Remus to finish up," Tonks answered.

"You two going to lunch?" Harry asked. It was no secret that Tonks had a crush on Lupin, who seemed clueless to her feelings.

"Perhaps," Tonks's face matched her hair.

Harry laughed. "Tonks, you could just tell him, you know."

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said hastily.

Harry shook his head and noticed a poster on the bulletin board announcing a Halloween ball. "Do we have to go to this?"

Tonks nodded. "Everyone does. The Ministry figured it was a way for everyone to unwind a bit."

Harry turned around and grinned at her. "So...who are you going with then?"

"No one yet," Tonks said with a saucy smile.

"I think you might have a certain bloke in mind," Harry said. "Someone who can be quite an animal when the moon is right..."

"Again, I don't know what you're talking about," Tonks straightened up. "Who are you taking?"

He knew who he'd want to take, but he knew that wasn't possible. "I'll probably go solo."

"You should take a date," Tonks advised. "More fun."

Thankfully, the door opened to Lupin's office and Ernie strode out looking relieved. He nodded at Tonks and Harry before leaving.

"Hello, Remus," Tonks said brightly. "I was hoping to catch you."

"Nymphadora," Lupin said distractedly.

Harry looked over at his mentor. "Well?"

"Ernie will continue with the program on a probationary period," Remus told them. "One more incident and he's out."

Harry nodded. "Thanks."

Tonks positioned herself by the poster announcing the ball and tried to look nonchalant. Remus ignored her though and she cleared her throat.

Harry hid his smile. "So... you going to this ball?" he asked, meaningfully glancing at the pink haired woman.

Remus nodded. "Unfortunately, I have to. And so do you, Harry. There's no getting out of it."

"Going with anyone?" Harry tried to appear innocent.

Lupin nodded. "Yes."

Tonks almost wilted right before their very eyes. "Who?" she squeaked.

"Cassandra Simmons," Lupin replied. "She works in the Portkey department. We were at Hogwarts together."

Harry nodded. "I see..."

"I didn't know you were seeing anyone," Tonks said quietly.

"We just decided to go," Lupin answered, shifting his armload of files.

"That's nice," Tonks said looking down at the floor.

Harry felt bad for Tonks. "I'm going to go grab some lunch," he said.

"I'll see you later, Harry," Remus said.

Harry nodded. "See you Lupin. Bye, Tonks."

"Bye," Tonks said sadly.

Harry wondered if there was any possible way to take Hermione to this ball. Spending a whole evening together like that sounded nice to him.

Who was he kidding? There was no way that would happen.

He dropped his things off in his office before heading down to the cafeteria for a quick bite.

He joined the queue and looked around the cafeteria spotting Hermione in the back with her friends.

He decided to join them- after all, until just a few weeks ago, they had all been classmates.

"Room for one more?" Harry asked.

"Sure," Lavender moved down so he could sit between her and Hermione. "Always, Harry."

"We were just talking about the ball," Eloise told him. "We saw the poster."

Harry nodded. "All the instructors are required to go."

"Are you taking Megan Jones?" Eloise asked.

"No," Harry shook his head. "I have no plans on seeing Megan again."

"Well, I'm glad to hear that," Lavender said. "Honestly, I'm surprised she didn't sell her story to the Prophet. I can see it now 'My Wild Night with The Boy Who Lived'."

Harry rolled her eyes. "Probably more like The Boy Who Was Too Cheap."

"You took her to the Ivy for Merlin's sake!" Lavender exclaimed.

"But I forgot the diamonds," Harry answered dryly.

Lavender rolled her eyes. "You're better off without that cow, Harry."

Harry sneaked a look at Hermione, who turned red. "Yeah," he replied. "You're right."

"So who are you going to ask, Lavender?" Eloise asked.

Lavender shrugged, thinking of Charlie Weasley. "I don't know."

"How about you, Hermione?" Eloise asked. "I imagine Justin's going to ask you."

"I don't know if I'll go," Hermione said quickly. "Doesn't really sound like my sort of thing."

Eloise nodded wistfully. "Wish someone like Justin would ask me..."

"You both have to go," Lavender said. "Come on. We're not going to get many opportunities to have fun and get all dressed up! It's going to be fun!"

"We'll see," Hermione answered noncommittally.

"I'm going to go and grab another juice," Lavender said. "Does anyone want anything?"

Eloise nodded. "I'd like to get another. I'll go with you."

The two of them got up, leaving Harry and Hermione alone.

"Ernie's going to stay in the program," Harry told her. "He's on probation."

"I'm not about to let him near me again," Hermione told him.

"Neither am I," Harry said.

Hermione sent him a half smile. "Thanks."

"How are your hands?" he asked.

"Better," she lifted them up. "That salve is great."

"You know that I'd like nothing more than to take you to that ball," he said.

Hermione nodded. "If there was a way we could go together--"

"There's not," he interjected. For the first time, he realised what he'd asked her to give up for him.

"It's all right," Hermione nodded. "They really aren't my thing."

"There's nothing to say I couldn't ask some of my students to dance," Harry said thoughtfully.

Hermione smiled. "Perhaps I'll make it a point to show up then."

Underneath the table, he reached for her hand and gave it a squeeze. "You're the best thing to happen to me in quite some time."

His words sent a thrill through her. "I am?" she asked softly.

Harry nodded. "You are."

"It's that way for me too," Hermione wanted so badly to kiss him right then and there. "I... I never expected this-- you."

Harry smiled and gave her hand another squeeze underneath the table. "I can't wait to see you tonight."

"I can't wait either," she said. "But we have our flying lesson first..."

"Right," Harry said. "And then my meeting, but afterwards..."

"For those few hours, it's just about us," Hermione smiled at him.

Lavender and Eloise rejoined them and Harry reluctantly let go of Hermione's hand.

"You two look so serious," Lavender commented. "Did you find out what's going to happen to Ernie?"

"He's on probation," Harry said leaning back in his chair.

"That's it?" Lavender scoffed.

"He's promised that he's going to behave himself," Harry told her. "One more mistake and he's out of the program."

"He never acted like that before," Eloise said thoughtfully.

"He's very competitive," Lavender said. "Always has been. Especially where Harry was concerned."

"Why?" Hermione asked.

"They're rivals," Lavender told her. "Ernie was jealous the moment Harry made our house team the first year. First years never make it on to the house teams, but he did. Then there was the whole Triwizard Tournament. Ernie thought Harry had entered his own name---"

Harry cleared his throat. "Lavender as much fun as it is going through this, can we please talk about something else?"

"Sorry," Lavender blushed.

"It's okay," Harry said grinning at her. "But on that note, I think I'm going to go. I have some paperwork to catch up on. You ladies enjoy the rest of your day."

"We will," Lavender grinned at him. "Bye, Harry."

Eloise watched him go. "He looks so happy. I haven't seen him like this in ages."

"I wonder why," Lavender said thoughtfully. "I mean... first there was Parvati, and then the horrible date with Megan. I wonder if Harry's seeing someone else on the side."

"Maybe it isn't someone else," Hermione tried to deflect. "I mean, maybe he's just really happy with his new career."

Lavender shook her head. "He's definitely seeing someone."

"You think?" Eloise asked.

"He hasn't been like this since Parvati." Lavender replied. "I just wonder who's making him so happy?"

Hermione took a sip of her juice to stop from smiling. He was making her happy, too. More happy than she could ever remember being.