Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

We left this one on a bit of a cliffie. Do enjoy, and PLEASE review!

The weekend had arrived and the trainee group was getting ready for their mission. Hermione was a bit quiet, seeing as how she and Harry still weren't really talking.

Lavender waved her hand in front of her friend's face. She and Hermione were going to be partners for this case and she wanted to make sure that they were both completely prepared. Lavender's marks had really suffered over the last few weeks and she was doing everything she could to keep her mind on the program.

"Okay, so one Auror secures the position, while the other..." Lavender asked Hermione.

"Defends," Hermione replied automatically.

"Good," Lavender said looking back at the manual. "We also need to make sure that no Muggles are in the immediate vicinity because then we might have to engage in memory modification."

"Right," Hermione said blankly.

Lavender looked over at her. "Hermione, come on."

"What?" Hermione asked. "Sorry..."

"It's okay," Lavender said. "You know...I bet that you and I do the best out of everyone. We will impress everyone!"

"Of course," Hermione nodded. "Everyone."

"Okay, so these wizards have set up their little operation just outside of Surrey," Lavender said reading from their case notes.

"And they're suspected of using their powers to steal from Muggles," Hermione added.

Lavender opened her mouth to say something but was suddenly surprised when someone put their hands over her eyes.

"Guess who," a low voice said in her ear.

"CHARLIE!" Lavender squealed, causing the people in the library to glare in their direction.

"Hey you," he grinned at her. "Thought I'd surprise you."

"You certainly did!" Lavender exclaimed throwing her arms around his neck.

Hermione smiled. "I'll be up in our room," she told Lavender.

"Good to see you again, Hermione," Charlie said warmly.

"You too," Hermione said, gathering her books.

Lavender frowned. She was thrilled to see her boyfriend, but now was not a good time. "Wait, Hermione..."

"What?" she turned around.

Lavender bit her bottom lip. "Um...well, we still have to work on this. We're doing it tomorrow..."

"I'm sure taking a few hours to go out with Charlie would be fine," Hermione objected.

"All work and no play," Charlie teased.

Lavender sent him a weak smile. "It's not that--"

"Just enjoy your break," Hermione told her. "We'll continue later."

Charlie took her hand. "I thought I'd take you out to lunch."

Hermione gave them a wave before heading out of the library.

Lavender hedged. "Charlie..."

"What is it?" he asked softly.

"Tomorrow is a REALLY big day for all of us," Lavender said. "I can't go into the specifics because you're not in the program..."

Charlie gasped and clutched at his chest in a dramatic fashion. "You don't trust me! I see how it is. You've done it, Lavender Brown. You've figured out my devious plan. I was only seeing you to get information that I will sell to the Russian Minister for Magic..."

Lavender rolled her eyes but grinned. "Now who's being overdramatic?"

"Me," Charlie grinned back at her. "Come on...you have to eat and you haven't seen my ugly mug in weeks."

"You are so far from ugly," Lavender leaned in and gave him a kiss. "And I have really missed you..."

"I missed you too," Charlie said softly. "How is my favourite Auror doing?"

"Okay," Lavender said. "It's been a bit hard to concentrate lately."

"You've been thinking about a certain someone?" Charlie asked innocently.

"Oh yes," Lavender said, looking over at him.

"So," Charlie said. "Where do you want to go for lunch?"

"You pick," Lavender snuggled against him.

"You want to stick close to here?" Charlie asked.

"That sounds nice," Lavender nodded.

"Okay," Charlie said thoughtfully. "Let's go to the pub. I promise not to get you pissed."

Lavender laughed. "What would you do with me if I was?"

Charlie stood up and offered her his hand. "I'd be a perfect gentleman, of course."

Lavender gave him a kiss. "A perfect gentleman," she echoed dreamily.

Charlie waited patiently while she gathered up her things.

He had really missed her since the ball. They wrote to each other every few days but it just wasn't the same as seeing her.

"You look gorgeous," Charlie said smiling at her.

"Thanks," Lavender said. "So do you. Handsome, I mean."

Charlie put his arm around her and led her out of the library. He saw his brother sitting in the back with Eloise Midgen. "I take it they're partners for your top secret mission?"

"Yeah," Lavender answered. "Although I think she'd have rather been partnered with Justin."

"Why's that?" Charlie asked.

"They've been seeing each other since the ball," Lavender explained.

"Really?" Charlie asked. "Wow..."

Lavender squeezed his hand. "I'm really happy you came, Charlie."

"I had the day off and I thought I'd surprise you," Charlie said. "And I am glad that I did."

Lavender pulled him to her and kissed him again.

Charlie's arms snaked around her waist and he deepened the kiss.

She didn't care that they were in the middle of a rather public street. She just wanted to be with him right then and there.

"Merlin, I have missed you," Charlie whispered.

"Me too," Lavender said softly. "I want to be together all the time."

Charlie smiled down at her. "Let's get out of the cold. I don't want you to freeze."

"No chance of that happening with you around," Lavender flirted.

Charlie squeezed her side one more time before taking her hand. A few minutes later, they were sitting in a pub.

"What'll you have?" Lavender asked. "I usually enjoy a salad, but I might treat myself today."

"I want a nice big cheeseburger with chips," Charlie said.

"Some chicken sounds good to me," Lavender mused.

"What do you want to drink?" Charlie asked. "I'll go and place our orders at the bar."

"Some ice water, please." Lavender smiled at him.

"Don't go anywhere," Charlie said winking at her.

"Never," Lavender said with a grin.

While he was gone, Lavender started to worry about the missed preparation time.

She hoped Hermione could help catch her up. Her roommate would most likely be able to prep her before they left. Besides, she hadn't gotten to see Charlie in weeks.

Charlie came back over with their drinks. "The food should be up in a few minutes."

"Great," Lavender reached for his hand.

"So, have you thought anymore about spending Christmas with my family?" Charlie asked.

"I was planning on going home for a few days," Lavender said. "But I'd love to join you at some point."

"That'd be great," Charlie said grinning at her. "My family is a little...well; I don't have to tell you since you dated Ron."

Lavender smiled. "I knew your twin brothers."

"And you lived to tell the tale," Charlie joked. "Well, they're not so bad as long as you stay on your toes. I'm closest to Ginny and Bill."

"I'll talk to my parents," Lavender promised. "Perhaps you can join us for a few days as well."

"You want me to meet your folks?" Charlie asked.

"If you'd like that," Lavender said softly.

"I would," Charlie reassured her. "It's just...I am older than you. Do you think your parents might have a problem with that?"

Lavender shrugged. "If you make me happy, which you do, I don't think age will matter at all."

Charlie leaned over and kissed her. "You make me happy too."

Lavender grinned at him again. "How's Brownie?"

"Growing like a weed," Charlie replied. He reached into his pocket. "Here are some photos."

"Ooooh," Lavender squealed. "I wish I could see her again!"

Charlie handed her the photographs. "That first one is right before she tried to scorch Jessica."

Lavender had to hide her smile at that remark.

"Here she is with her Mum," Charlie said handing her a photograph.

"That's so sweet," Lavender said.

"She misses you," Charlie said.

"I miss her too," Lavender said. "Can I keep this photo?"

"You can keep all of them," Charlie said. "I took them for you."

"Thank you," Lavender told him as their food was brought to them.

"This looks great," Charlie said happily.

"Yes it does," Lavender said ravenously.

Charlie chuckled as he watched Lavender tuck in to her food.

"I told you I was hungry," Lavender said when she caught him looking at her.

"I love watching you eat," Charlie said. "Real food."

"Aside from lettuce you mean?" Lavender asked with a grin.

"Exactly," Charlie said before taking a bite of his cheeseburger. "So, tell me...what's going on?"

"Just busy trying to keep my marks up," Lavender didn't really want to admit how much she was struggling at the moment.

"And you can't tell me, but tomorrow is a really big day for you," Charlie said. "I know you're going to do great, Lavender."

Lavender smiled. "I hope so."

"So what about everything else?" Charlie asked. "You getting along with everyone?"

"Except for Ernie, who's just being a huge wanker," Lavender rolled her eyes.

"Macmillan?" Charlie asked, recognizing the name from Lavender's letters.

She nodded. "He hates Harry, so he acts like a jerk during class."

"And Harry just puts up with it?" Charlie asked.

"He's spoken to Lupin," Lavender replied. She told him how abrasive Ernie had been at the start of training and what he had done to Hermione. "So if he steps a foot out of line again..."

"He's out," Charlie finished. "Well, if he ever says anything to you...."

"He hasn't bothered me," Lavender assured him, secretly pleased at how defensive he was being.

"I'll feed him to one of the Norwegian Ridgebacks if he does," Charlie said.

Lavender grinned at him.

"Try one of these," Charlie said dipping one of his chips in catsup and holding it out to her.

Lavender opened her mouth.

Charlie grinned before feeding it to her. "Delicious, right?"

"Excellent," Lavender replied.

"That's my girl," Charlie said proudly.

"I'm your girl?" she asked, pleased.

"Oh absolutely," Charlie said squeezing her hand.

"That's the best thing I've heard all day," Lavender said in a husky voice.

Charlie grinned and fed her another chip.

"How long can you stay?" she asked when they'd finished their meal.

"I promised my mum, I'd join her and dad for dinner," Charlie said. "So, I'm yours for a few hours at least."

"Great," Lavender said with a grin. "I have a few hours as well."

"Whatever will we do?" Charlie asked thoughtfully.

"I think we need to go have some time to ourselves," Lavender said softly.

"Where did you have in mind?" Charlie asked.

"We could go back to the Ministry and find an unused classroom," Lavender suggested.

"You wouldn't get in trouble, would you?" Charlie asked.

"I don't think so," Lavender shrugged. She'd forgotten all about preparing for the assignment.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Charlie asked standing up.

Lavender took his hand as he helped her stand up.

"This thing you're doing tomorrow," Charlie asked. "It's not dangerous, is it?"

"I don't know," Lavender said truthfully.

"Promise me that you'll be careful?" Charlie asked. "I don't want anything to happen to you, Lavender."

"I'll be careful," she said, giving him a kiss.

They didn't speak much on the way back to the Ministry. Lavender was content just to enjoy being with him.

"I'd take you back up to the room, but I'm sure I'd get in trouble for that," Lavender told him.

"We wouldn't want that," Charlie said nudging her.

"Not at all," Lavender said, pulling him to her.

Charlie leaned down and kissed her.

She closed her eyes and just enjoyed being close to him like this.

"Lavender," Charlie whispered.

"I'm so glad you're here," she said softly.

"I'm a good distraction," Charlie said resting his forehead against hers.

"Yes you are," she murmured. "Come on... this way."

Charlie would have followed her anywhere. He laughed along with her as they searched for an empty room.

"Here seems good," Lavender shut the door and locked it with her wand. Within moments, he had her pushed back against the wall and they were kissing passionately.

"Alone at last," Charlie said in between kisses.

"Alone is the best way to be with you," Lavender pulled them over to the desk at the front.

Charlie pulled off her cloak.

"More," Lavender whispered in his ear.

Charlie's eyes darkened as he looked at her. "As you wish..."

Lavender wasn't sure what was spurring her on, but she loved the way he was making her feel.

Charlie kissed her again as he snuck a hand up her jumper.

She arched her back, making his fingers slide further under her shirt.

"Lavender," Charlie managed to choke out.

"Yes," she hissed.

"You are driving me crazy," he said before kissing her again.

"Good," Lavender nipped at his ear.

"You know exactly what you're doing," Charlie said huskily. "Don't you?"

"Perhaps," Lavender said coyly.

Charlie planted kisses along her jaw and neckline.

Lavender still wanted more. She reached down and pulled up on his jumper.

Charlie lifted his arms and she pulled it up over his head. She'd not seen him like this before and she smiled as she took him in.

"Like it?" he asked cockily.

Lavender pushed him playfully. "It's...okay."

"Just okay?" he asked, pretending to be hurt.

"I didn't realise how athletic dragon handlers are," Lavender said softly.

"I work out," Charlie boasted.

"Do you?" Lavender asked touching his chest. "Hmmm...."

"All the time," he answered softly.

"Doing what exactly?" Lavender asked.

"Tug of war with Brownie," he joked.

"Ahhh," Lavender said giggling. "Well, Brownie has certainly done a great job..."

"And how about this brownie?" he asked in a low voice.

"Perfect," Lavender murmured.

Charlie kissed her again as he slid his hands under her skirt.

"Ooooh," Lavender said smiling at him.

"Like that did you?" he kissed under her ear.

"It's not...it's not bad," Lavender stammered.

"Just not bad?" he asked. "Can I make it better?"

Lavender bit her bottom lip when his hand travelled up her thigh.

"Okay?" he asked when her breathing increased.

"Mmmhmm," Lavender nodded.

"Good," he said softly.

Lavender looped her arms around his neck.

Charlie wanted to go as far as she'd let him go. Gently, he began to pull her skirt down.

"Charlie," Lavender smiled at him. "I trust you."

"I love you," he said before he could stop himself.

Lavender wasn't sure she'd heard him correctly. "Um..."

"Sorry," Charlie said hastily. "Um... I uh..."

"You just said you love me," Lavender said in a daze.

"I know," he said, embarrassed.

"I don't know what to say," Lavender said quietly.

"I understand if you don't say it back," Charlie replied. "It's a bit soon..."

Lavender shook her head. "No, it's not that. It's just---no one's ever said that to me."

"Then they're missing out," Charlie said intently.

Lavender smiled at him. "I love you, too."

He stared at her, speechless.

"I'm completely crazy about you," Lavender said. "So much so that I find it hard to concentrate most of the time."

"Same here," Charlie confessed.

Lavender rested her head on his chest. "Oh, Charlie."

He hugged her tightly, kissing the top of her head.

"I love you," Lavender repeated softly.

He smiled at her. "You deserve better than a classroom," he said.

"Christmas," Lavender promised. "We'll find time alone during Christmas."

Charlie kissed her. "A few days of time alone," he said meaningfully.

"Just you and me," Lavender agreed. "And a nice, comfy bed."

He chuckled. "You read my mind."

Lavender gave him another kiss before sliding off the desk and straightening out her clothes. Charlie put his jumper back on and tried to smooth down his hair.

"It's useless," he said after she ran her fingers through it as well.

"Its fine," Lavender reassured him. "You look handsome."

"Thanks," he sent her a grin.

"So," Lavender said. "Your mum is probably going to make your favourite things for dinner, isn't she?"

"Most likely," Charlie nodded. "I can't wait."

"I hope that she'll like me," Lavender said. "I met her a couple of times but only in passing."

"She's going to love you," Charlie assured her. "I know she will."

"What have you told her about me?" Lavender asked curiously.

"That you're gorgeous," Charlie said. "And smart… and completely mad about me."

Lavender grinned. "Very."

He kissed her again. "I wish we had more time together."

"Christmas will be here before we know it," Lavender said.

"Good," he answered.

"I'll walk you out," Lavender said, knowing she had to get back to work, but wanting to spend every second with him.

"Okay," he agreed, taking her hand.

"I'm knitting you a scarf," Lavender told him.

"You are?" he asked with a grin. "I didn't know you knew how to knit."

"Hermione taught me," Lavender said. "It's very therapeutic."

"Mum loves to knit," Charlie told her. "So there's something you'll have in common right off the bat."

Lavender grinned. She decided not to tell him about how she'd never really liked his sister when they were at Hogwarts. But, Ginny had become much more bearable now that she was with Neville.

"I'll see you in a few weeks," Charlie promised her when they came to the lobby.

"We'll still write," Lavender said.

"Every day," he promised.

Lavender hugged him tightly. "I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too," he said huskily, leaning in for a kiss.

Lavender pressed her lips to his.

They kissed for several minutes, oblivious to the people passing by.

"I have to go," Charlie said reluctantly. "Promise you'll be careful tomorrow?"

"I promise," Lavender said.

"Good luck," Charlie said smiling at her.

"I'll see you soon," she said softly.

Charlie gave her one last kiss before walking away.

She watched him go before heading back up to her room. She hoped she would find Hermione in there.

Hermione, however, had taken a small study break. She'd walked down to the cafeteria for pumpkin juice and a muffin.

While standing in line, she thought over the things she had read about raids. While they could be dangerous, they had often brought about evidence that would lead to convict dangerous wizards.

Lavender was right. This mission could be the chance they had to prove themselves. She wasn't going to waste her time worrying about Harry and their fight. He obviously wasn't losing any sleep over it.

She was almost to the head of the line when she bumped into someone. "Sorry..."

"Watch where you're---" Harry snapped. "Oh---"

"Sorry," Hermione said coolly.

"You should be preparing for tomorrow," Harry said echoing her tone.

"I am," Hermione crossed her arms. "A person has to eat, you know."

"Wotcher, Harry!" Tonks said happily coming over to join them. She didn't notice the tension between Harry and Hermione. "I am so excited! They have pumpkin pie today."

"Great," Harry said tonelessly.

"That does sound good," Hermione said setting aside her muffin and reaching for a piece of pie. "Unless of course, you think I'm too NAIVE to have pie."

Tonks looked at her, clueless. "Too naive to have pie?"

"I wouldn't say naive," Harry retorted. "I'd say you were acting childish."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Better childish than an arse," she retorted.

"It's just pie," Tonks said wondering what was going on.

"It's never just pie, Tonks," Hermione responded. "If you'll excuse me--"

"Um, sure," Tonks said confused.

"Professor," Hermione said in a sarcastic tone as she glared at Harry before leaving the cafeteria.

"What just happened here?" Tonks asked pulling a confused face. "It was just...pie."

Harry shook his head. "She's pissed because I gave her low marks on her essay," he covered quickly.

"Oh," Tonks said nodding. "Was it that bad?"

"Yeah," Harry snapped. "It was."

Tonks shrugged and grabbed a piece of pie for herself. "You sure you don't want a slice? It's the best in the world. Even better than Hogwarts, in my opinion."

"I'm suddenly not hungry," Harry shoved his tray away.

Tonks put her hand on his arm. "Harry, I know it's not been easy for you having to teach people you went to school with and people you consider your friends. But, you know, you've done an amazing job so far."

Harry softened at her obvious praise. "Thanks," he replied. "I... I appreciate that."

"And I'll be there tomorrow to help with the surveillance," Tonks said grinning at him. "I promise not to trip over my wand."

"That'll be a first," Harry cracked.

"Very funny," Tonks said. "I'm buying you a piece of pie, Potter. And you can tell me why you've been in such a bad mood lately."

"I can't," Harry said. "I have to go."

"You are avoiding me," Tonks said with a grin.

"I am not," Harry denied. "Besides, Lupin's right over there. Go eat with him."

"Oh," Tonks brightened. "Okay, see you later."

Harry laughed as he watched his friend and colleague practically run in Lupin's direction. His smile turned into a wince when she tripped over her feet and nearly dropped her tray on Lupin's lap.

Harry walked out of the cafeteria wondering what he was going to do about Hermione. They couldn't go on like this, but she was being completely unreasonable.

He was still surprised for someone so smart, that she couldn't see how fake Padma was being. He more than suspected Padma knew about him and Hermione.

If there even was a him and Hermione, Harry grumbled to himself.

The girl in question arrived back up in her room, where Lavender nearly pounced on her.

"I HAD THE BEST DAY!" Lavender shouted.

Hermione jumped. "Merlin!"

Lavender giggled. "I'm sorry! I'm just so excited! Charlie told me he loved me!"

A smile appeared on Hermione's face. "How lovely," she said. "I'm happy for you, Lav."

Lavender gave her a hug. "It was the best day!"

"For you, perhaps," Hermione answered. "Mine was so- so…"

"Oh," Lavender said frowning. "You and Harry---"

"We just fought in the cafeteria," Hermione said glumly. "I'm sorry Lav. I don't want to bring you down. I just don't know if we can work this out."

"Padma can be sweet," Lavender said. "But, she's changed since Parvati's death, Hermione. She hates Harry. I wouldn't be so quick to trust her."

"She's just been nice to me," Hermione replied.

Lavender nodded. "She dropped off some more books for you, earlier. I left them on your bed."

"That's what I mean," Hermione said. "She doesn't even know that I'm seeing Harry. Why would she hate me, and yet do nice things for me?"

"That's true," Lavender said thoughtfully.

"I just don't know what to do," Hermione said quietly.

"After the mission tomorrow, you should talk to him," Lavender said. "You love each other."

"Yeah," Hermione said. "I hope he still loves me."

"One fight isn't going to be the end for you guys," Lavender said. "And you know it."

Hermione shrugged, unconvinced.

"We can get your mind off of it by getting back to our prep work," Lavender said.

"Right," Hermione nodded. "Good idea."

"I know that Lupin said it was pretty much a textbook case, but there's still the chance that something might happen," Lavender said. "I'm a little nervous, actually."

"I'm excited," Hermione said. "Our first raid..."

"You're not nervous at all?" Lavender asked.

"Maybe just a little," Hermione confessed.

"At least we're working together," Lavender said. "I'll have your back and you'll have mine."

"Exactly," Hermione agreed.

The two of them spent the majority of the night going over their case notes along with the procedures manual.

"I feel like I understand this so much better," Lavender said. "Earlier, all I could think about was Charlie."

"With good reason," Hermione said standing up and stretching. "You had a great lunch with him. That was sweet of him to surprise you like that."

"Yes it was," Lavender flopped back on her bed.

"And you're spending Christmas together," Hermione said smiling at her.

"We're going to be at my parents' house for a few days, then go on to his family's celebration," Lavender told her.

Hermione remembered the tentative plans she and Harry had made for Christmas.

"You and Harry will be perfectly fine by tomorrow night," Lavender predicted.

"We'll just have to agree to disagree on this," Hermione said.

"Hermione you're not going to get anywhere by being this stubborn," Lavender preached.

"I am not being stubborn," Hermione said defensively. "He is! He thinks that his way is the only way and that he knows what is best for everyone."

"Harry is Harry," Lavender began. "I guess I'm a little defensive of him because I've known him for so long but when he gets worked up like that, it means it's because he cares."

"I'll try and talk to him tomorrow," Hermione said.

"And like I said, you two will patch things up," Lavender said. "And I can say I told you so."

"Yeah," Hermione said quietly. "Maybe."

"I already know you will be fine," Lavender said.

"We'll see tomorrow," Hermione said. "We'd better get some sleep."

"I can't wait to dream tonight," Lavender said happily.

Hermione laughed. "I bet you can't."

"Wake me up when you do, will you?" Lavender asked with a yawn.

"I've set the alarm," Hermione said.

"Great," Lavender pulled her hair back into a ponytail.

Hermione changed into her pyjamas and then slid under the covers.

"Night," Lavender told her friend.

"Night," Hermione said. "Sweet dreams."

"I plan to have some," Lavender giggled.

"...with Charlie Weasley in the starring role?" Hermione guessed.

"You bet," Lavender answered.

Lavender couldn't wipe the smile off of her face.

Hermione, meanwhile, had a more difficult time falling asleep. She wanted to patch things up with Harry, but her stupid pride kept making his words repeat in her head.

Naive. She wasn't naive and he should know her better by now.

"He needs to apologise to me," Hermione mumbled as she turned on her side.

In his flat, Harry was thinking the same thing about Hermione. She needed to see how vindictive Padma Patil was being.

"I just need some way for her to see it for herself," he said.

He knew that sometimes he had to step back and let others make their own mistakes.

But with her, it was different. He hated that they were fighting and wanted to talk things out with her the next day after the mission.

Either way, tomorrow was going to be a long day.

*** *** ***

Hermione was nervous but excited as they arrived at the mansion where the raid was to take place. She had a feeling today would really prove who was in this and who wasn't.

"Remember your places," Harry told them. "Wands at the ready. Be on your toes. This is serious, guys."

"Right," Ron's grip on his wand was sweaty.

Lupin looked over at Tonks. She was going to set things in motion by knocking on the door and acting as a decoy. This would allow Ron, Justin, Ernie and Eloise to enter from the back.

She sent him a smile indicating that she was ready before changing her appearance to a blond haired, blue eyed beauty.

Ron let out a wolf whistle.

Harry glared at him. "Could you be any louder?"

"Sorry," Ron grumbled.

"Okay," Tonks said winking at the group. "Let me show you how it's done."

Remus watched her go, his eyes on her figure. He shook his head to clear his thoughts before moving into position.

Hermione looked over at Lavender. She and her roommate were to be Tonks' backup. With a deep breath, Hermione got into place behind one of the trees in the front yard. Lavender crouched down behind a Muggle car.

Tonks knocked on the door, ready to flip her hair back and play the damsel in distress.

A few moments later, a butler opened the door.

"Yes, miss?"

"I'm afraid my car has broken down in the road there," Tonks said, widening her eyes. "Have you got a phone I could use?"

The older gentleman looked over her shoulder and saw the car with a flat tire. "Of course, miss. Right this way."

Harry received the signal from Lupin and he led the way into the back of the house. He just hoped that Macmillan wasn't going to pull some stunt.

Ernie wasn't stupid enough to act out, but he decided this was his chance to prove to Lupin that he was better than the rest of these trainees

"This is a lovely home," Tonks told the butler as he led her into the salon. "I was so happy when I saw your lights on. I know it's awfully late..."

"Quite all right miss," the butler said. "The phone is just in here."

Tonks looked gratefully at him. "I promise not to be long."

"Very good miss," the butler bowed slightly.

Harry and the other trainees could hear Tonks.

"Ron," Harry whispered. "You and Ernie go upstairs to the office on the third floor. The money is supposed to be in the safe behind the portrait. Be very quick and give the signal out the window as soon as you've got it."

"Right," Ron nodded as he pressed himself to the wall.

In the salon, Tonks was punching in the number to Lupin's mobile. "Charles? It's me....Rebecca. The most horrible thing has happened!"

"What's wrong dear?" Lupin asked in case anyone was listening close enough for a voice on the other end.

"I have a flat tire!" Tonks exclaimed dramatically. "And I left my mobile at your place. A nice man has allowed me to use his phone..."

"What's the address dear?" Lupin asked.

Tonks looked over at the butler. "Sir? What is the address? My boyfriend's going to come over and change my tire."

The butler gave her the address. "Can I get you anything, miss?"

Tonks shook her head. "I wouldn't want to intrude." She smiled at him before repeating the address into the phone.

Just outside, Lupin caught sight of Ron flashing his lit wand once from the window. Lupin nodded toward Lavender and Hermione. It was time for them to get into position.

The two girls cast nervous looks at each other before creeping towards the house.

"Good luck," Lavender whispered to her friend.

"You too," Hermione said as they separated.

Ron and Ernie had just come back downstairs with the money they'd found along with some contraband.

"Excuse me," The butler was in front of them in the hallway. "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

"Uh," Ron said taken aback. "We're---"

"We're Aurors and this is a raid," Ernie replied defiantly.

"I bet your pardon?" the butler asked indignantly.

Harry, Eloise and Justin joined them, their wands trained on the butler.

"What's going on here?" another voice interrupted them as Augustus Rookwood stepped into the room.

"Rookwood, how nice of you to join us," Harry replied glaring at one of Voldemort's old Death Eaters.

"Potter," Rookwood grinned crookedly. "How nice to see you..."

"Quite a haul you have," Harry said gesturing toward the rucksack in Ron's hand. "Let me guess, some investments of yours paid off?"

The other man snarled. "That would be non of your concern..."

"When you steal from Muggles, it is my concern," Harry replied. "Not to mention the dark magic artefacts that we found lying around."

At that moment, Hermione and Lavender crept into the corridor.

"What are you going to do Potter?" Rookwood scoffed. "Throw me in Azkaban over a few thousand pounds?"

"I'm going to throw you in there for much more than that," Harry snapped.

Rookwood's mistress laughed as she entered the room, her wand drawn. "Did I miss the invitation to the party?" Alecto Carrow said haughtily, putting a strangle hold on Lavender with her free arm.

Hermione pointed her own wand at the woman. "Let her go," she said icily.

"No, I don't think I will," Alecto replied gleefully. "She can be our ticket out of here."

Tonks had hurried outside to alert Lupin to what had happened and he'd rushed toward the house, hot on her heels.

Rookwood beamed at his girlfriend. "I love this, Alecto. We haven't had a decent duel in ages. Which one should I attack first?"

"You don't have a wand, you pompous arse," Ron pointed out.

"I don't need one," he said, waving his hand at Hermione.

Lavender watched in horror as a streak of purple flame flew from Rookwood's hand and hit Hermione in the chest.