Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

You all were sure brutal to Jessica ;) But never fear- you find out what happens… right now! REVIEW! PLEASE! We'll give you cookies ;) Erm… biscuits! Baked by one Miss Emma Weasley, fresh from her Easy Bake Oven!

"Okay," Harry replied. "I'm sure you'll get along great with everyone."

"I just really want to get to know YOU better," Jessica said winking at him.

Harry smiled politely. "I'm really not that interesting."

"I don't think that's true," Jessica said helping him push the simulator into the corner. "Come on, you. I'll get you a water and a biscuit."

"Thanks," Harry replied. "Appreciate it."

Jessica squeezed his shoulder before hurrying over to the refreshment table.

Hermione waited silently to see if Harry would notice her there or not.

Lavender waved her hand in front of Hermione. "Hello?"

"What?" Hermione asked absently.

"Nice to know my conversation was so stimulating for you," Lavender teased. "You were just a million miles away."

"I'm sorry," Hermione apologised.

"No problem," Lavender said. She looked over at Jessica who was piling biscuits on a paper plate. "Hello, Jess."

"Hi Lavender," the black haired girl replied.

"So you and Harry seem to be getting along," Lavender commented.

Jessica smiled. "Perhaps I might be coming to your Ball after all."

"You just met him," Hermione blurted out.

Jessica gave her an odd look. "So?"

Hermione wondered when she would learn to keep her mouth shut. "Um, well, I just mean that you've just met him. And we're leaving tomorrow."

"Don't worry," Jessica grinned. "I work fast. See you, ladies. I have to go and feed my man."

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Charlie's right. She is fickle."

"She certainly didn't waste any time crying over Charlie before she moved on," Hermione commented.

"Maybe she'll be good for Harry," Lavender said thoughtfully. "Although I still believe he's seeing someone on the side."

"So you said," Hermione said. She knew that they had to keep things secret, but if they were a normal couple, she could be over there right now talking with him and holding his hand. If they were a normal couple, he could have hugged her when she'd come out of the paddock earlier. If they were a normal couple, they could go to the ball together.

She finally managed to catch his eye and she looked at him wordlessly for a few moments before turning away. "I'm going to wait outside," she said quietly to Lavender.

"Are you okay?" Lavender asked, concerned.

"Fine," Hermione said briefly. "See you in a few."

She walked out of the barn at a quick pace wishing she could just go back to the main house.

"Hey," a voice said. "Hermione- wait up!"

Hermione quickened her pace.

"Hermione," Harry grabbed her arm. "What's wrong?"

"You shouldn't be here," Hermione said turning around. "Someone might see."

"Right now I don't care," Harry responded. "What is going on? You left there looking like you were going to kill someone. Is Ernie bothering you again?"

"No," Hermione replied. "You and Jessica seemed ...chummy."

Harry shrugged. "She's all right I guess."

"I'm fine," Hermione reassured him. She didn't want to admit how jealous she was to see Jessica flirting with him.

"Are you sure?" he asked softly.

Hermione nodded. "No need to worry about me."

Harry looked at her for several long moments. "You know I love you," he said quietly.

Hermione did know that and the time they'd spent together was very special to her. "I love you, too."

"She's nice, but she's no you," Harry told her.

"How is it that you always know just the right thing to say?" Hermione asked.

"I'm not sure," Harry confessed. "Normally I'm told I say the wrong thing."

"You get one right every now and again," Hermione said feeling better.

"I'll have to work on that." Harry gave her hand a quick squeeze.

Hermione smiled again. "I guess we'd better get back."

"Hermione?" Harry asked. "Wait---"

"What?" she turned back around.

"I'm thinking that we should go out on a proper date," Harry said thoughtfully.

"What?" Hermione asked, her eyes wide. "How will we do that?"

"We can't go anywhere in London, of course," Harry said. "But---um, maybe we could go to Florence. Naples. Rome. You name it and we'll go there."

Hermione smiled at him. "Can we go to Paris?"

"Paris it is," Harry said. "I'll take you somewhere nice. I promise."

Hermione grinned. "When will we go?"

"Saturday night?" Harry suggested.

"I'll probably have to sneak away," Hermione said thoughtfully. "But I'm sure I can manage."

"Our first date," Harry said grinning at her.

"Official one," Hermione added, laughing. "I can't wait."

"You know, I've never been to Paris," he admitted as they walked back to join the others.

"I haven't been there in a few years," Hermione answered. "But it's my favourite city, especially in the winter."

Harry thought about asking Remus to help him pick out a nice restaurant. But he thought better of it. If he told Lupin he needed help on where to take a date, he'd want details and Harry couldn't give him that.

"I think you'll like it too," Hermione said. "There's this little restaurant, right down on the Champs Elysees. It's very intimate and quite lovely."

Harry looked sideways at her. "That's just what we need. Intimate and lovely."

"It's called Le Charognard," Hermione answered. "It means The Scavenger."

"Perfect," Harry said. "I'll sort out reservations for us."

Hermione fought the impulse to throw her arms around him. "Thank you," she said.

"I know it's not the same as the ball," Harry apologised.

"It's okay," Hermione shook her head.

"It's the next best thing," Harry said. "And we'll have a good time."

"We'll have a wonderful time," Hermione corrected.

"Come on then," Harry said motioning for her to follow him. "Dragon slayer."

"I'm hardly a dragon slayer," Hermione said modestly.

"Could have fooled me," Harry said. "The way you were spouting off spells. I was very impressed."

"I've been reading about dragons all week in the library," Hermione answered.

"You and your books," Harry teased.

Lavender caught sight of them chatting together and wondered yet again what was going on with her roommate and Harry.

"You have something against me being smart?" Hermione joked.

"Not at all," Harry said, not knowing they were under Lavender's watchful eye. "I find it a complete turn-on."

Hermione laughed. "Maybe I should meet you dressed like a schoolmarm."

Harry nudged her. "There's an idea."

"I'll keep it in mind," Hermione said dryly.

"Everything okay, Lavender?" Eloise asked tapping her on the shoulder.

"What?" Lavender asked. "Yeah... everything's great. Why?"

"You looked preoccupied," Eloise replied.

Lavender shook her head. "Just thinking about Charlie," she lied.

"Where'd Hermione get to?" Eloise looked around

"I'm not sure," Lavender turned away.

"There she is," Eloise said. "With Harry."

"Oh," Lavender pretended to be surprised. "I wonder what they're talking about."

"Dunno," Eloise said thoughtfully. "But I think we're starting up again."

Lavender nodded, but didn't move. She continued to watch Harry and how happy he looked while talking to Hermione. Hermione couldn't be the girl he was seeing on the side, could she? Lavender wanted to laugh at the idea. Hermione was so serious and into following the rules. She'd never blatantly break the rules like this, would she?

*** *** ***

Back at Hogwarts, Ginny and Luna were almost too busy to miss their boyfriends. Ginny was captain of the Gryffindor team and was trying to prepare her team for their first match against the Slytherins. She had more than one reason to look forward to the match. Neville was going to attend as a guest of Professor Sprout, who had a soft spot for her favourite student.

Luna, on the other hand, was busy with her homework- she was taking extra Herbology lessons and focusing on reading as many issues of the Quibbler as she possibly could.

The two girls were studying in the library that evening. Ginny looked across the table at her friend. "You know you should ask Professor McGonagall if you could be excused for just one night to go to that ball with Ron."

"I don't want any special treatment," Luna replied.

"It's not special treatment," Ginny argued. "It's one night. You'd be gone for what---three hours?"

"I just don't think she'd let me go," Luna said, turning the page of her newspaper.

"You'll never know if you don't ask," Ginny pointed out. "I bet she'd say yes. She let Natalie McDonald go home last weekend for her sister's wedding."

"I do miss my Ronald," Luna said wistfully.

"Well, you should ask McGonagall," Ginny said. "The worst she could tell you is no, which I don't think she'd say. Ron would be over the moon to see you."

"Perhaps I'll ask her at breakfast tomorrow then," Luna nodded. "It would be nice to surprise him."

Ginny smiled. Her brother would have her to thank for this and she'd have to remind him of that when they were home for Christmas.

Ginny picked up a copy of the latest Daily Prophet wanting to see if there was anything she could use in her essay.

"What are you writing about?" Luna asked.

"The role of women in today's Magical government," Ginny replied.

Luna nodded. "That's a good topic."

Ginny smiled. "I'm hoping that Binns thinks so."

Luna giggled. "I already wrote mine. I chose to do past history, and wrote about the witch trials."

"That's a good one too!" Ginny told her. "Those are so interesting to read about."

"Very much so," Luna toyed with her cork necklace.

Ginny couldn't resist scanning the society page and nearly fell out of her chair when she saw a big headline. "Megan Jones: My Night with the Boy Who Lived".

Luna looked up. "Harry's seeing Megan Jones?"

"Merlin's beard, I hope not!" Ginny exclaimed.

"Pretty, petite Megan Jones confessed to the Prophet that she always had a crush on the raven-haired heartthrob," Ginny said. She looked up at Luna. "Who writes this rubbish?"

"Not Daddy," Luna said proudly. "His featured articles are on Nargles and Kneazles."

"But she never figured she'd have a chance until a mutual friend set them up on a date," Ginny read aloud. "Megan tells us exclusively that Harry was completely enthralled by her."

"That doesn't sound very much like Harry," Luna tipped her head.

"No it doesn't," Ginny agreed. "Oh...Luna, you aren't going to believe this! 'Megan said she was pleasantly surprised when Harry offered to take her to a jeweller to pick out whatever baubles she wanted,'"

"I would have gotten an opal," Luna said dreamily.

Ginny looked at her friend. "Really?"

"But she probably prefers diamonds," Luna said.

Ginny rolled her eyes. Megan Jones was a shallow, conceited cow. If she was expecting a second date with Harry, there was no way she was going to get one by selling her story to the papers. Harry was very protective of his privacy.

"I remember how Harry used to look at Parvati," Luna said softly. "It would take a very special girl to make him feel that way again."

"Well, unless Megan has a love potion, I don't think that girl is her," Ginny commented.

"Perhaps I'll see him if I'm allowed to go to the Ball," Luna said.

"You're going to go," Ginny said determinedly. "She's going to say yes. Do you have your dress robes?"

Luna nodded. "I brought them with me just in case."

"You're going to look gorgeous," Ginny said. "And I would love to see the look on Ron's face when he sees you."

"I'll be sure and tell you all the details," Luna promised.

Ginny leaned forward. "If I tell you something you have to promise not to tell Ron."

"Okay," Luna nodded.

"Well," Ginny confided. "This summer, after we graduate, Neville and I are going to...travel."

"Travel?" Luna asked. "To someplace like Nepal? They have amazing creatures there!"

Ginny giggled. "Luna! Not Nepal...we're going to go to a bunch of different places."

"What are you going to see?" Luna asked.

"We're still deciding," Ginny said. "And there's still the matter of convincing my mum and dad to let me go."

"I'm sure they will," Luna replied. "After all, we'll have graduated. Ronald and I want to move in together."

Ginny frowned. "Luna, as your friend, I cannot allow you to move in with Ron. He's a complete slob, for one thing. He never cleans up after himself. For another, he's forever eating something."

"I know," Luna said dreamily.

Ginny shook her head. "Love really is blind."

"When he has potatoes," Luna began, her eyes focusing on something faraway. "He gets this look on his face--"

"Luna---" Ginny said, not wanting to hear things like this about her brother.

"And when he has bangers and mash," Luna continued. "It's like the whole world is right." she sighed.

Ginny raised an eyebrow. "Um...okay..."

"It's really quite lovely watching him eat dessert," Luna said. "Any dessert..."

"Luna," Ginny tried to interject, but Luna kept talking as if she couldn't hear her.

"Chocolate pudding is the best--" Luna started again.

"Luna, he stuffs everything in his mouth," Ginny tried to argue. "And he talks with his mouth full----"

"Sometimes he even kisses me when he's got food in his mouth," Luna sighed. "Some girls find that gross, but it's so Ronald..."

"Count me in with those girls," Ginny muttered.

"I'm sorry," Luna finally seemed to realise Ginny didn't want to hear that.

"It's okay," Ginny said with a laugh. "You're in love."

"Very much," Luna tucked her quill behind her ear.

"So am I," Ginny said. "And I just hope Mum and Dad let me go on that trip with Neville."

"I'm sure they will," Luna nodded.

Ginny wasn't so sure. Being the only girl, she was treated differently from her brothers. For one thing, her parents were overprotective where she was concerned.

"Maybe Ronald and I can take a trip too," Luna said thoughtfully. "To Nepal..."

"He's going to be busy for the next three years, Luna," Ginny told her gently. "With his training."

Luna focused in on her friend. "I don't think Ronald is cut out to be an Auror."

"What makes you say that?" Ginny asked.

"I just don't think he's right for that sort of job," Luna replied. "It's a feeling I have."

"Have you told him about this?" Ginny asked. Her brother had seemed pretty excited when he'd heard the news that he'd been accepted into the program.

"He knows," Luna nodded.

"And what did he say?" Ginny asked.

"He's been thinking about things," Luna replied.

"Dropping out?" Ginny asked, taken aback.

"Perhaps not, yet." Luna answered.

"I think he'd make a great Auror," Ginny said loyally. "He fought along with Harry..."

"But if his heart isn't in it, I don't' think he should stay with it." Luna told her.

"My parents were very excited when he was accepted," Ginny countered. "They are so proud."

"I wouldn't hold him back if he truly loved what he was doing," Luna assured her.

"I know," Ginny said quietly.

"I just want him to be happy," Luna said wistfully.

"Me too," Ginny said nodding. "Me too."

"Well I think it's time I get back to my room," Luna said.

"And to dream about my brother eating beef stew?" Ginny teased.

"Ooooh," Luna's eyes went glassy. "Yes..."

Ginny picked up the Daily Prophet and looked at the article about Harry again. She couldn't believe the nerve of Megan Jones selling her story. She could just imagine how Harry was reacting.

At the Ministry, he was enduring good-natured teasing from his colleagues about the story. He had been angry when he'd first read the story, but over the years he'd gotten used to the lies they printed about him.

"So Harry," one of the other Aurors named Nick said. "You going to buy me some diamonds?"

"That depends on whether you put out on the date," Harry said cheekily.

Lupin roared and slapped Harry on the back. "Good one."

"I don't imagine you'll be asking her out again," Tonks commented setting the newspaper aside.

"No way," Harry answered.

"You cheapskate," Tonks teased. "You should have gotten her something more expensive."

"Like the Crown Jewels?" Harry retorted.

"Probably wouldn't be enough for Miss Jones," Lupin laughed.

"Whatever," Harry crumpled the paper. "I've got better things to do than worry about what they say about me."

"Saturday night," Tonks said looking longingly at Lupin, who was oblivious. "Have you big plans for the weekend, Harry?"

"Not really," he lied. "Just same old stuff."

"Me either," Tonks said with another pointed look at Lupin. "Not a single thing to do...nowhere to go..."

"Is that true, Nymphadora?" Lupin asked.

"Well unless someone were to ask me..." Tonks hinted not so subtly.

"I was wondering," Lupin began.

"Yes?" Tonks asked eagerly.

"If you might fancy getting a drink?" Lupin asked.

"I'd love to!" Tonks burst out. Harry had to hide his grin.

"I have some things I needed to go over with you," Lupin continued. "Kingsley said you were thinking of getting into teaching..."

Tonks visibly deflated. "Sure..." her response was less than enthusiastic.

"I'll meet you here at six then," Lupin said gathering up his paperwork. He stood up and said a quick goodbye to the others before leaving the room.

"It's one step forward and two steps back," Tonks said putting her head in her hands.

Harry patted her shoulder. "He'll wise up... eventually."

"I'm starting to think its hopeless," Tonks said. "Do you know what it's like to want to be with someone so badly and not being able to?"

"You have no idea," Harry said without thinking.

Tonks looked apologetically at him. "Oh, Harry! I'm so sorry! I can be so insensitive sometimes. You and Parvati..."

"Yeah," Harry said, figuring he'd let her think that.

"You're going to find someone else," Tonks said. "I just know it."

Harry thought again about Hermione. "I hope so," he lied.

"But it's not going to be Megan Jones," Tonks said with a grin.

Harry rolled his eyes. "I don't think I could afford her again."

"Pity the poor bloke who can," Tonks commented.

"I should go," Harry replied. "Got to go over some lesson plans before I leave for the night."

"Have a good night," Tonks called out to him.

Harry waved before heading to his office.

Upstairs in the dormitories, Hermione was looking in her closet and wondering what she could wear. She didn't have anything fancy other than dress robes. But, she and Harry were going to a Muggle restaurant and she couldn't really wear those.

Lavender was doing some yoga exercises in the middle of the room and she watched Hermione. "You've been standing there for about ten minutes."

"I know... I just um... I got an owl earlier and my parents want to take me to dinner this evening. I don't know what to wear."

"Oh," Lavender said. "Well, you could borrow something of mine. I think we're about the same size."

"Really?" Hermione asked. "That would be nice, thanks."

"No problem," Lavender said. "So your parents have come around then? About your being an Auror?"

"They'll probably try and convince me to do something else," Hermione answered.

"That's a shame," Lavender said walking over to the closet. "Let's see...."

The first few outfits Lavender picked out Hermione vetoed immediately.

Lavender laughed. "Probably not the best dresses to go out with mum and dad. Sorry about that."

"It's okay," Hermione said, spying a simple black dress near the back of the closet. "How about that one?"

"Ooooh" Lavender squealed. "That one is perfect!"

"It's lovely," Hermione replied, envisioning what Harry would think of her in it.

"I have some earrings that would look really great with it," Lavender said.

"Thank you," Hermione said. She felt bad yet again about lying to her friend, but it was necessary right now.

"What time are you going?" Lavender asked, walking over to her dresser.

"I'm not sure yet," Hermione answered.

"You should wear your hair up, I think," Lavender said thoughtfully.

"Okay," Hermione agreed.

"Maybe your parents will surprise you," Lavender said handing her the earrings.

"I doubt it," Hermione hated lying and almost confessed what was really going on but she held her tongue. "But they're my parents..."

"And they always think they know best," Lavender finished.

"Tell me about it," Hermione nodded, hanging the black dress up carefully in her own closet.

"I'm going to have a run evening of reading and writing a letter to Charlie," Lavender said.

Hermione smiled at her. "I'm really happy for you."

"Thanks," Lavender said smiling back at her. "He's pretty great, isn't he?"

"Quite so," Hermione said, feeling antsy. She wished she were with Harry right now, as opposed to a few hours from then.

"You could do yoga with me," Lavender said sitting back down on her mat. "It could help relax you."

Hermione shrugged. "Okay," she said.

"It's very calming," Lavender said picking up her wand and transfiguring her trainer into a mat. "Just do what I do...and we can have a proper chat."

"A proper chat?" Hermione asked. "About what?"

Lavender hadn't spoken to Hermione about the closeness she'd observed between her friend and Harry. She'd hoped it was just a fluke. They had been quite business like with each other in classes and Lavender was starting to believe that maybe she'd just imagined things. Still, she wanted to get to know her roommate better.

"About anything," she smiled at her.

"Okay," Hermione said sitting down just like Lavender.

"Breathe in," Lavender coached.

Hermione did as she instructed.

"Breathe out," Lavender said. "Just do it evenly."

Hermione exhaled and closed her eyes, trying to clear her mind.

"That's it," Lavender could see Hermione relaxing already.

Hermione smiled and opened her eyes. "What's next?"

"Just concentrate on your breathing for a few minutes," Lavender said.

Hermione did just that, feeling all her worries and concerns melting away.

"So," Lavender said. "What do you really think of Harry?"

Hermione shrugged. "He's a great teacher and I think we have so much to learn from him."

Lavender was disappointed in Hermione's reply. She'd hoped for something a bit juicier.

"He's really nice, isn't he?" Lavender asked, trying a different tact.

"Yes he is," Hermione nodded.

Lavender stretched her arms up above her head and Hermione did the same.

"Handsome too," Lavender commented.

"Mmmhmm," Hermione fought not to let her face grow red.

"Extend your leg like this," Lavender demonstrated. "Square your torso over the extended leg and forward bend over that leg."

Hermione was grateful that in this pose, she could hide her face.

"Got it?" Lavender asked. "It's a bit complicated--"

"I've got it," Hermione replied.

"Harry's just a good friend," Lavender said. "I really think he deserves to be happy with a good girl."

"Of course," Hermione said. She wondered why Lavender was talking about this with her. "You want him to be happy."

"That's why I still think he's seeing someone on the side," Lavender replied.

"If he is, he'll tell you in his own time," Hermione deflected. "And maybe he'll find someone who makes him as happy as Charlie makes you."

Lavender realised she wasn't going to get anywhere with Hermione, at least not that night. "You're right."

Hermione breathed a sigh of relief. The next half hour she and Lavender finished their yoga exercises, only talking about the different positions.

"That felt great," Hermione said. "Thanks, Lavender."

"No problem," Lavender said folding up her mat.

"We should do that again soon," Hermione said.

"Absolutely," Lavender agreed. "I'm going to go for some tea in the cafeteria. Would you like one?"

"I'd love one," Hermione answered. "Thanks."

"I'll be back in a few," Lavender said.

Hermione stretched out on her bed once Lavender had gone. She could hardly wait to go to Paris with Harry.

She'd spend the evening in the most romantic city in the world with the man she loved. It didn't get any better than that, Hermione thought happily.

Lavender hurried down to the cafeteria, humming a happy tune under her breath.

She turned the corner and saw that Padma Patil was just a few feet ahead of her. She was about to call out to her when Harry came out of the cafeteria, colliding with Padma.

"Do you mind?" Padma asked icily.

Harry knelt down to help her with her files, but she waved him off.

"I'm sorry," Harry said.

"You're always sorry," Padma snapped. "Disaster just follows you wherever you go."

"Padma---" Harry started to say.

"Just stay away from me," the dark haired girl said.

"Look," Harry said standing back up. "Padma, I never wanted this to happen. I didn't know that she was going to come after me. I thought I was protecting her. "

"All you have are excuses!" Padma said angrily. "My sister is DEAD, Harry. DEAD. And it's all because of you!"

Harry paled at her words. He knew he deserved her anger. She wasn't saying anything he hadn't already said to himself.

Lavender rushed forward. "Padma that's not fair. Harry's no more to blame for Parvati's death than you or me."

"SHE WAS YOUR BEST FRIEND!" Padma rounded on her. "And you defend him?"

"I miss her almost as much as you do," Lavender said. "But I know this wasn't Harry's fault."

"You'd do well to stay away from him," Padma warned.

"Harry is my friend too," Lavender said firmly. "And you'd do well to forgive him. He did a lot for everyone."

Padma just rolled her eyes and stalked off in the other direction.

"Harry--" Lavender began.

He shook his head. "There's nothing you can say, Lav. She's right."

"No she isn't," Lavender replied. "Not even for a moment."

"I've managed to avoid her," Harry said. "And I knew this would happen, but--"

"You. Were. Not. To. Blame." Lavender said firmly.

She couldn't possibly know how much that meant to him. He smiled slightly at her. "Thank you. You've...you've been a really great friend."

"We'll always be friends," Lavender gave him a hug.

"Parvati would be proud of you and what you've done," Harry told her.

"Thanks," Lavender said. "She'd be proud of you too."

"I--I really should get going," Harry said. "You---you have big plans for your day off?"

"Not really," Lavender replied. "I wish Charlie could come down but he's got work."

"At least he's coming for the ball," Harry said.

"I know," Lavender said. "I can hardly wait. What about you- are you taking Jessica?"

"Jessica?" Harry asked. "Um---no."

"Why not?" Lavender asked. "She clearly fancies you." Which Lavender liked because it meant she wasn't going after Charlie.

"I'm going alone," Harry said firmly. "If I had my way, I wouldn't go at all."

"You sound like Hermione," Lavender said.

"What makes you say that?" Harry asked quickly.

"I don't think Justin was her first choice," Lavender replied.

Harry gave her a quizzical look.

"Her first choice would be to stay in the dorms reading," Lavender said.

Harry smiled. "That sounds like her."

"I should go," Lavender said. "I just came down here to get us some tea."

"Right," Harry nodded. "Thanks Lav. I'm glad to know at least someone believes in me."

"There's a whole lot of us," Lavender said giving his hand a squeeze.

Harry nodded. "I'll see you later. Tell Hermione good night for me."

"I will," Lavender promised.

Lavender hurried in and got their tea, making it back upstairs with a few minutes to spare for the curfew. "Here you go," she said, handing the hot cup to her roommate. "And Harry says good night."

Hermione looked up. "Oh, you ran into him?"

"Right by the cafeteria," Lavender shook her head. "He ran into Padma- Parvati's twin sister."

"Oh," Hermione said quietly. She couldn't have imagined that went very well.

"She just can't let it go," Lavender said. "I mean... I understand she's hurting. What I felt must have been nothing compared to the loss she experienced. But she needs to stop blaming Harry for it."

"Is he okay?" Hermione asked.

"I think so," Lavender told him. "He's happy to have friends, and people who believe in him."

Hermione smiled. She was glad that Lavender had been there to soften the blow of Parvati's words. She knew how important his friends were to him.

"He doesn't deserve Padma's hatred," Lavender continued. "Parvati would have been really disappointed in her."

"She's not ready to listen," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Maybe with time, she'll be able to look past her anger to see that Parvati's death was not Harry's fault."

"I doubt it," Lavender said. "Padma's pretty stubborn. And she wasn't all that fond of Harry when Parvati was still alive."

Hermione couldn't understand that. She had so many questions, but she didn't want to make Lavender any more suspicious of her than she already was.

"I'm sure I've talked your ear off enough about Harry for one night," Lavender said. "I just really think he deserves to find himself a nice girl."

Hermione hoped that Lavender would feel the same way if she found out that she and Harry were dating.

"But I'm sure he will eventually," Lavender flopped back on her bed.

Hermione grabbed her robe and excused herself to get ready for her "dinner with her parents."

"Have fun," Lavender said. "I'll help you get dressed when you come back."

"Thanks," Hermione said slipping out of the room and heading for the bathroom.

She quickly showered and dried her hair, wishing again that she could present herself better for such a special date.

When she came back into the room, she was surprised to see Lavender had spread out her makeup and various hair potions. "What's all this?"

"To help you get ready," Lavender said simply. "Sit!"

Hermione smiled. "Lavender---"

"Come on," Lavender said. "I don't' get a chance to do this often enough and I'm an expert!"

"Okay," Hermione said sitting down. "Thank you."

Lavender clapped happily. "How often do you straighten your hair?"

"Not that often," Hermione said. "I don't usually have that much time..."

"This will be extra fun then," Lavender squeezed some potion into her hand.

Hermione trusted Lavender and knew that she wouldn't do anything too drastic with her hair or makeup.

"So is it just meeting your parents or do you have something else going on?" Lavender asked slyly.

"Just dinner," Hermione said, which was partly true. She really, really hated lying to her new friend.

"No one else?" Lavender pressed.

"Not unless they spring someone else on me," Hermione said. She was glad her back was to Lavender and the girl couldn't see her face.

"Someone else?" Lavender asked.

Hermione silently cursed. "Um, sometimes my grandparents come along."

"I see," Lavender replied.

"We've never talked about your parents," Hermione deflected. "What do they do for a living?"

"Mum works in a robe shoppe," Lavender replied. "Dad works at Gringotts."

"You've no brothers or sisters?" Hermione asked.

Lavender shook her head. "I'm an only child."

"Me too," Hermione said. "But I always wanted a sister."

Lavender smiled at her. "We're sort of becoming that way, aren't we?"

Hermione smiled. "Yeah, we are. Ow!" She yelped as Lavender worked the brush through her tangled hair.

"Sorry," Lavender said. "You have really thick hair."

"The bane of my existence," Hermione said with a sigh. "I can barely get a brush through it most days."

"Maybe you should think about permanently straightening it," Lavender said.

Hermione shrugged. "Maybe."

"It's pretty long," Lavender tugged the brush through it again.

Hermione waited patiently while Lavender styled her hair. Her roommate though wouldn't allow her to see the results until after she'd finished with her makeup.

"I think you need to get into the dress before you can see yourself," Lavender said. "Then you'll get the full effect."

"Okay," Hermione replied.

"There," Lavender said in satisfaction a few minutes later. "You look perfect."

Hermione tried to sneak a look in the mirror, but Lavender blocked her view. "Dress first."

"Oh fine," Hermione replied, reaching into her closet.

"Your parents aren't going to recognise their sophisticated, glamorous daughter," Lavender said.

"One can only hope," Hermione muttered under her breath. She actually hadn't heard from her parents in weeks.

She quickly pulled on the dress, being careful not to mess up her hair.

"Wow," Lavender was surprised at how well the dress fit. "You look incredible!"

Hermione beamed at her. "Really?"

Lavender nodded. "You just need to put on those earrings and then I'll let you have a look for yourself."

"Okay," Hermione said, threading them through her ears.

"Perfect," Lavender said grinning at her. "Take a look, Miss Granger."

Hermione could scarcely believe it was her in the mirror. "Lavender, you are a wonder!"

"I am, aren't I?" Lavender said proudly.

She couldn't wait for Harry to see her dressed like this.

She was meeting him at a nearby coffee shop and they were going to Apparate to their destination. "Thank you, Lavender."

"I'm glad I was able to help," the blonde said. "Hope you have fun."

Hermione smiled at her before grabbing her coat and bag. She practically floated out of the door.

She slipped out of the Ministry without anyone seeing her and headed for the coffee shop.

Harry was sitting at the counter and Hermione felt butterflies in her stomach as she approached him.