Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

We're glad a lot of you are sticking around for fanfic- we definitely aren't going anywhere anytime soon! And like we said before, this story is quite the smutty one ;) We've spiced it up even more than it was just because we figured everyone would enjoy it that much more. Please review!

That evening, the trainees were moving their belongings into their dorms. Lavender spent the last hour complaining about the lack of closet space. Hermione ignored her and sat on her bed, her belongings still in her suitcases and boxes.

"I did leave you a little room in the closet," Lavender said looking over her shoulder at her roommate.

"Its fine," Hermione replied. "I didn't bring much."

Lavender nodded. "Are you okay? You seem awfully quiet."

"Just a lot on my mind," Hermione tossed some undergarments into one of the drawers.

"Ron's not that bad," Lavender said thinking her mood was because of the partner assignment. "He's kind of funny, actually."

"I don't care about Ron," Hermione replied.

Lavender sat down on the edge of her bed. "Boy troubles?"

"I don't really want to talk about it," Hermione said. She wasn't really the type to gab and giggle about boys.

"I was kind of hoping we'd have some new guys to choose from," Lavender said. "You don't have this problem, of course, but I went to school with everyone in our group."

"I'm really not interested in pursuing a relationship," Hermione answered tightly. "I'm here to study and to make it through the training program."

"You can't fool me," Lavender said grinning at her. "I happen to know that you have an admirer."

"I beg your pardon?" Hermione asked.

"Everyone can tell," Lavender told her.

Hermione felt her body go cold. How had Lavender managed to figure out about her and Harry. "I um... I think you're wrong," she said uncomfortably.

"I am never wrong about these things," Lavender said. "Justin has got it bad for you. I've never seen him like that over a girl before."

Hermione felt herself relax. "Justin's nice, but not my type."

"I've heard that before," Lavender said. "You know Parvati said the same thing about Harry when she found out he fancied her."

Hermione closed her eyes for a moment.

"They had a disastrous date to our fourth year Yule Ball," Lavender confided. "He didn't even dance with her!"

"You don't say," Hermione busied herself with hanging up her clothing.

Lavender nodded. "Parvati said it was the worst first date in the entire world."

"Guess that means he's not perfect," Hermione said dryly.

"They started to get closer during our sixth year," Lavender continued. "Given what happened the last time they went out, you know she wasn't all that ready to subject herself to that again. But, they were inseparable after that."

Hermione cursed herself for feeling jealous. She didn't know any details of what had happened to Parvati, but she had obviously been very important to Harry.

Lavender walked over to her desk and picked up a photo album. "I have some pictures of them in here."

"I just really want to unpack and get some sleep," Hermione said abruptly.

Lavender didn't notice Hermione's tone. She thumbed through the album and found the photographs she wanted Hermione to see. "This was all of us on Halloween."

Hermione sighed and looked at the picture. "That's nice."

"I still can't believe she's gone," Lavender said swallowing the lump in her throat.

Hermione felt something inside her soften at the look on the blonde's face. "I'm sorry," she said quietly. "It must be hard to lose a good friend."

Lavender nodded. "She was my best friend."

Hermione had never really been close with any girls her age. "I'm sure it was a rough time for all of you."

"It was," Lavender said wiping at her eyes. "But especially for Harry."

Hermione patted Lavender's shoulder awkwardly, not really sure what to say.

"Thanks," Lavender said. "I'm not usually this emotional."

"It's okay," Hermione offered a quick smile.

Thankfully, there was a knock on the door. "Granger, this just arrived for you," a girl Hermione remembered meeting at dinner that evening said. She handed Hermione an envelope. Hermione recognised the familiar neat script of her mother.

"Thanks," Hermione said unenthusiastically.

She sat down on the bed and slowly opened the letter.

Hermione:

What on earth has gotten into you? The daughter we raised would never have stormed out of the house last night! You were so rude to poor James! He told us about what happened at the pub. He tells us that you left the pub with some strange man.

Hermione sighed and rubbed her temples. She contemplated not reading the rest of the letter but her curiosity got the better of her.

Your father and I are very disappointed in you, Hermione Jane. You have so much potential, sweetheart.

"Potential to be a dentist," Hermione muttered to herself. "Just what I wanted to hear."

Your father and I think you need to think long and hard about what you've done. It's not too late to turn this around. The university has agreed to enroll you next semester. Keep that in mind.

Hermione crumpled up the letter in her fist and threw it into the rubbish bin.

"Bad news?" Lavender asked.

"Just my parents," Hermione muttered.

"Let me guess," Lavender said. "They don't think you should be an Auror."

"Something like that," Hermione answered. "More on the lines of becoming a dentist."

"If it makes you feel any better," Lavender said sympathetically. "Mine weren't too thrilled with me choosing this career field either."

"What did they want you to do?" Hermione asked.

"Anything but this," Lavender replied. "But during the War, I lost a lot of friends and people that I cared about. I wanted to do something meaningful with my life."

Hermione looked at the other girl with some new respect. "I can certainly understand that."

"I know a lot of people think I can't do this," Lavender said. "But I'm determined to prove them wrong."

"And I'm sure you will," Hermione smiled at her.

"Thanks," Lavender said smiling back at her. "I think we're both going to do well."

"I'm determined to be top of the class," Hermione replied. "I get pretty fanatical about my studies."

"No wonder you're a little worried about working with Ron," Lavender commented. "But maybe you'll be a good influence on him."

"I doubt that," Hermione answered, sitting back on the bed. "But who knows."

Lavender returned her attention to unpacking her belongings. Hermione was feeling more than a little restless and decided to go downstairs and see about getting a glass of warm milk. That always did help her get to sleep.

It wasn't quite ten yet, so she wasn't breaking curfew. She headed for the cafeteria.

The cafeteria was empty save for the woman working at the counter. Hermione asked for a glass of warm milk and with a wave of the woman's wand, the milk materialised.

She wasn't quite ready to go back upstairs so she decided to go outside for some fresh air.

Hermione took a deep breath as she went outside, closing her eyes as a cool breeze made her hair lift and fly out behind her.

This had been a very long day and she wished she could rewind to this morning when she'd first woken up.

"What are you doing out here?" a voice interrupted her thoughts.

Hermione opened her eyes and looked behind her to see the one person she didn't want to see. "I--I needed some fresh air. I still have a few minutes before curfew if that's what you're worried about."

"It's not good if you're caught out after ten," Harry told her.

"I'm just going to drink my milk and then go upstairs," Hermione said turning back around.

Harry watched her for a moment. "How's rooming with Lavender?"

"Its fine," Hermione replied shortly.

Harry nodded as he came and stood by her at the railing.

Hermione took a sip of her milk wondering why he was still out here. Didn't he have somewhere to be?

"What made you decide to be an Auror?" Harry finally asked. He wasn't sure what else to say to her.

Hermione traced the top of her glass with her finger. "We had career counselling at school my sixth year. Remus Lupin spoke at our school. He made it seem like the best job in the world."

"Lupin's great," Harry nodded. "He's like a father to me."

Hermione looked at him. "And why did you decide to become an instructor?"

Harry shrugged. "It was offered to me."

"I'm sure that you had your pick of any number of jobs," Hermione commented. "Why this one?"

"I didn't want to be in the spotlight anymore," Harry answered.

"I can't imagine what your life has been like," Hermione said quietly.

"It's been one hell of a ride," Harry said with a touch of bitterness.

He was silent after that and Hermione didn't know what to say without seeming like she was prying into his personal life. For all intents and purposes, they were strangers. "I hope you realise that I was just as shocked as you were this morning," Hermione said instead. "I honestly didn't know you were going to be here of all places."

"I shouldn't have accused you like I did," Harry looked over at her. "No one except Lupin and a few others knew I was going to be teaching."

"And I'm not going to tell anyone what happened," Hermione reassured him. "If anyone found out, we could both be in trouble."

Harry nodded. "Especially me."

"So we should just forget that last night happened," Hermione said while wondering if that was even possible.

"Maybe," Harry agreed unenthusiastically

"Maybe?" Hermione asked.

He realised how close he was standing to her. "Yeah..."

"It's the sensible thing to do," Hermione said looking up at him.

"Of course," Harry said quietly.

"So we'll just go on forward like today was the first time we'd ever met," Hermione said. "We'll just carry on as instructor and trainee and no one will be the wiser."

"Probably for the best," Harry didn't realise that they had moved closer to each other.

"Absolutely," Hermione agreed. She told herself to say good night and go upstairs. The words didn't come though.

Harry didn't know what was going on. He hadn't had any feelings for any girl since Parvati.

"What are we doing?" Hermione whispered.

"I have no idea," Harry answered softly.

"I should go," Hermione said finally breaking away from his gaze.

Harry nodded reluctantly.

"Good night then," Hermione said grabbing her glass.

"Wait," Harry said, grabbing her hand.

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

Harry pulled her over out of the view of the windows and kissed her.

Hermione hadn't expected this action and she dropped her glass. She didn't notice though because she was too busy kissing him back with everything that she had.

Harry's arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her into his body.

So much for putting what had happened behind them, Hermione thought as he deepened their kiss.

He swept his tongue through her mouth, tasting her as his fingers tangled in her long hair.

Hermione knew she should stop this before things went too far again. Mustering every ounce of willpower she had, she reluctantly broke the kiss.

Harry didn't let her step away, but rested his forehead against hers as they both caught their breath.

"Why did you do that?" she asked him.

"I don't know," He answered. "I just... I had to."

Hermione had read the Auror Rules and Regulations handbook cover to cover. Relationships between students and their superiors was strictly forbidden and there was a zero tolerance policy. If they were discovered like this, she'd be kicked out of the program and he'd lose his job.

She shook her head and stepped away. "We can't do this. I'm your student."

Harry knew that she was right. There were many reasons why this was wrong, but it didn't change the fact that he liked this girl.

Why couldn't she have been just another girl? Why did she have to be in the program?

"I'm sorry," he said quietly. "I didn't mean to overstep my bounds."

Hermione shook her head. "I wanted that kiss too. But we just can't do this. It's not right."

"So we'll just forget last night," Harry said looking at her. "And forget what just happened?"

"We'll have to," Hermione said quietly.

"Good night then," Harry said. "You---you should go on upstairs. Curfew."

"Of course," Hermione nodded. "I guess I'll see you in class tomorrow."

Harry watched her head for the double doors. "Hermione?"

She turned. "Yes?"

"I don't regret what happened last night," he said looking at her. "I just wanted you to know that."

"I don't either," Hermione answered. "But while I don't want you giving me any leverage in class; I don't expect you to treat me badly because of it."

"I wouldn't," he said sincerely. "I promise."

"Thank you," Hermione said, smiling a bit. "I really should get back upstairs now."

"I should be heading home," Harry said. "It's been a long day."

Hermione nodded. "Good night then."

"Good night," Harry said softly. "Miss Granger."

Hermione ducked inside so he couldn't see her blush. She had to fight away the butterflies in her stomach. "I do not fancy him," she told herself. "He is my professor."

She didn't believe that for a second, but she'd just have to keep telling herself that to avoid temptation.

She arrived back in the room to find Lavender had finally finished unpacking.

"Did you get what you wanted?" Lavender asked.

Hermione thought for a moment. "I suppose so..."

Lavender smiled at her. "That's good."

"Did you manage to find space for everything?" Hermione asked, sitting on the bed. "How many of my drawers did you use?"

"None actually," Lavender said proudly. "I shrunk some of my outfits to save space."

Hermione was surprised. "That's a good idea."

"Desperate times called for desperate measures," Lavender said. "But you know, we can't always get what we want. So we have to make do with what we have."

Hermione nodded as she lay back on the narrow bed. "We have three years of this..."

"I like to think of it as the beginning of a new adventure," Lavender said grabbing a set of pyjamas from her dresser.

"At least you're not working with Ron Weasley," Hermione said.

"He's really not that bad," Lavender tried to reassure her. "I think Harry thought you'd be a good influence on Ron."

"He's completely unserious," Hermione looked over at her. "I'm going to wind up doing all of our work."

"Harry won't let Ron get away with that," Lavender said.

Hermione hoped Lavender was right. She also hoped Harry would stick to his word about not treating her differently due to what had happened.

Hermione resolved to put last night behind her and just think of Harry Potter as just another professor. He was off-limits to her in any other capacity.

But her traitorous mind still made her feel the touch of his hands on her body, and made her remember how passionately he had kissed her.

"Thinking about Justin?" Lavender teased.

"No," Hermione answered.

"Ernie?" Lavender guessed. "Or maybe you and Ron have that opposites attract thing---" Her voice trailed off at the glare Hermione sent her at those words. "Or maybe not..."

"I'm not thinking of any bloke," Hermione answered. "I don't have time for such nonsense."

"Right," Lavender said with a knowing grin. "You can't fool me."

"Well what about you?" Hermione countered. "Who have you got your eye on?"

"No one here," Lavender confided. "I broke things off with my ex before I came here."

"How long were you with him?" Hermione asked conversationally.

"Seamus and I were together for almost two years," Lavender said. "We dated right after Ron and I broke up."

"You dated Ron?" Hermione asked, her eyebrow raised.

Lavender nodded. "Just for a little while during our sixth year. It wasn't anything serious."

"I can't imagine Ron doing anything serious," Hermione changed into her own pyjamas.

"He's actually pretty serious with Luna," Lavender told her. "She's still at Hogwarts. She's a good friend of his little sister's."

Hermione wondered if this Luna girl was completely daft to be dating Ron.

"They're really adorable together," Lavender continued. "And even though Luna's a bit out there, she's really sweet."

"Hmm," Hermione climbed under the covers. "I'm sure they're a real joy together."

Lavender giggled. "On that note, I think we'll say good night."

Hermione had to smile at her roommate. She really wasn't as bad as she originally thought Lavender would be. "Good night."

Lavender turned out the lights and Hermione closed her eyes trying to think of anything but Harry Potter. She imagined he wasn't having too hard of a time getting her out of his mind.

Hermione didn't know just how wrong she was. He was currently lying in his own bed, staring at the spot she had occupied the night before.

He wasn't supposed to see her again after last night. Why did she have to be one of his students?

He hadn't felt like this about a girl since Parvati. There was something about Hermione that piqued his interest but he couldn't put his finger on what exactly it was.

He reached for the file on his bedside table. Curiosity had gotten the better of him and he'd nicked it from the administration office before he'd left for the evening. "Granger, Hermione Jane."

A smile touched his lips. "Muggleborn, highest in her class at Beauxbatons..."

He read over the rest of her preliminary information. Some of the things he knew from their conversation last night. Some were quite a surprise to him. Despite her high marks, one of her weaknesses was flight. Apparently, she had zero control over a broom and this had led to many mishaps. Due to this, she hadn't been on a broom since her elementary flying lesson during her first year. No wonder she didn't look too pleased when he'd mentioned flying and brooms in class that morning.

It was also noted in her file that she claimed to work better alone and not in a team. That was something she was going to have to learn to get used to.

He knew that she wasn't happy about working with Ron. Truth be told, he probably should have let her work with Lavender. Anything would have been better than watching Justin Finch-Fletchley trying to worm his way in to her good graces.

At the same time, he hoped his best friend would survive in the program, and if that were to happen, he needed a partner who would force him to concentrate.

Harry was about to close the file when he noticed a photograph of the brunette in the back of the file.

He pulled it out and studied it. She was pretty- but not in the same way Parvati had been. Hermione had a rather simple beauty about her.

Harry sighed. She was his student. He shouldn't be sitting here looking at a photograph of her and thinking about what it felt like to be with her.

He stuffed the photo back into the file and tossed it on his nightstand. Harry turned and buried his face in his pillow.

He had to forget about Hermione Granger. Last night was a one-time thing.

"Right," He muttered to himself. "Just a one time thing."

His old school friend, Dean Thomas, kept asking if he could set him up with a girl. Perhaps, that was just what he needed.

*** *** ***

They were a few days into training, and Hermione desperately hoped she wouldn't be paired with Ron for the next three years. He took nothing seriously, and apparently after getting a letter the previous night from his girlfriend, was in rare form.

"Three more days," Ron said grinning at her. "Three more days until I see my girl again."

"What was it?" Justin asked. "Three days, two hours, thirteen minutes--"

"Don't encourage him, Justin," Hermione said. "Please."

"What's wrong with being excited to see my girlfriend?" Ron glared at her.

"Nothing," Hermione muttered trying to concentrate on what was happening at the front of the classroom. Harry was teaching them the disillusionment charm. Currently, Eloise Midgen was having trouble mastering it.

"Just flick your wrist this way," Harry showed her. "Not to the left--"

"Is that your right or my right?" Eloise asked.

Harry tried to mask his impatience. "Your right."

"I'm thinking of leaving here about nine Saturday morning," Ron told Justin. "That way I'll be there when Luna arrives. Fred and George said we could go upstairs..."

"Who said we could leave here?" Hermione asked him sharply.

"We have Saturdays off," Ron reminded her. "And I'd appreciate it if you'd mind your own business."

Hermione rolled her eyes again. "I'd appreciate it if you'd concentrate on something other than your libido."

"My what?" Ron asked.

Justin snorted back his laughter. "Come on mate." he snickered.

"Your sex drive," Lavender told Ron.

"Figures he wouldn't know what I was referring to," Hermione muttered.

Eloise finally mastered the charm and Harry sighed in relief. "Very good, Miss Midgen."

"Thanks Harry-- I mean Mr. Potter." Eloise said.

Harry looked at his watch. "Okay, we'll just take a shirt break. Be back here in 20 minutes and Miss Brown and Mr. Macmillan will try the charm."

"Finally," Ron shoved his chair back. "I'll be in the cafeteria."

"Come on, Hermione," Lavender said. "I'll treat you to a muffin."

"I'm not that hungry--" Hermione tried to object.

"Chocolate chip muffins," Lavender said not taking no for an answer. She grabbed her roommate's hand and practically dragged her out of the room. Harry tidied the room up a bit before he followed the trainees to the cafeteria. He was hoping to run into Lupin.

He was in luck- he saw Lupin just as he was heading inside. "Got a minute?" he asked the older man.

"Of course, Harry." Lupin smiled. "What can I do for you?"

"Those books you were telling me about," Harry began. "Do you think I could stop by your office later and pick them up?"

"Sure," Lupin nodded. "I should be around after the last class for a little while."

"Thanks," Harry said. "I was thinking Eloise could use one or two of them. She's having trouble with some of the concealing charms."

Lupin smiled in approval. "I like that you're thinking of your students' best interest."

"I have to admit that sometimes it does try my patience," Harry admitted.

"Join the club," Lupin said wryly.

Harry was about to say something else to his mentor when someone clapped him hard on the back.

"Harry," Ron said sitting down with a tray of food. "My best mate."

"Hi Ron," Harry raised an eyebrow at him.

"Why don't you cut to the chase and tell Harry what it is you want," Lupin said stifling a chuckle.

"Well," Ron said. "Saturday is the first Hogsmeade visit..."

"As I've heard," Harry said.

"I was hoping to go meet up with Luna," Ron said cajolingly.

"Mr. Weasley," Lupin said leaning back in his chair. "You are aware that trainees do have Saturdays off and you are able to leave the Ministry during that time, but you must be back here by six p.m."

"I can do that," Ron nodded quickly.

Harry's back was to the table just behind them so he didn't notice when Lavender and Hermione sat down. Hermione had protested, but it was the only table available.

"You should come with me, Harry." Ron was saying. "It'd be fun to go to Hogsmeade again."

"I can't," Harry said. "I have plans."

"You do?" Ron asked.

"Dean's setting me up with Megan Jones," Harry told him.

Lupin grinned. "That's great, Harry. You should get out and enjoy yourself. You're only young once."

"Megan Jones?" Ron asked, impressed. "Man, she was so hot!"

"On that note," Lupin said pushing back from his chair. "I'm going to say goodbye. Harry, I'll have those books for you later."

"Thanks," Harry told him. "Are we young ones too much for you?"

"The old man can't cut it," Ron joked.

Lupin gave Ron a dirty look. "You see how old I am when you face off against me in our next lesson."

Ron gulped. "You look rather young today, Professor Lupin."

"Good save," Lupin nodded with a smirk.

"So where are you and Megan going?" Ron asked before taking a bite of his toast.

"Thought I'd take her somewhere in Muggle London," Harry shrugged. "Maybe the Ivy?"

"That's quite posh," Ron commented. "Very impressive."

"I think she'll like it," Harry answered noncommittally.

Ron grinned and looked over at Lavender. "Hey, Lav! If some bloke took you to The Ivy, would you be impressed?"

"Who's taking who to the Ivy?" Lavender asked.

"Harry here is taking Megan Jones to the Ivy," Ron said nudging his best friend.

Hermione looked down at her muffin, trying not to show how this news bothered her.

"Megan Jones?" Lavender asked. "Really?"

"Yeah," Harry avoided looking at Hermione. "Dean's fixing me up with her."

"She's hot," Ron said before stuffing a whole piece of toast in his mouth.

"You have such a one track mind," Lavender shook her head.

"You used to love that about me," Ron said winking at her.

"I did not," Lavender said, but she blushed.

"Are you doing anything special on Saturday?" Ron asked her. "I'd ask your roommate, but I imagine she's going to spend it in some library reading. Or maybe she's going to alphabetize something."

"And what if I was?" Hermione asked him, her eyes dark.

Ron laughed. "Living on the edge, aren't we, Granger?"

"As opposed to you?" Hermione returned. "On the edge of obesity?"

"For your information," Lavender said. "Hermione and Justin are going to a movie."

"What?" Harry asked before he could stop himself.

Hermione looked at Lavender. She didn't know anything about going to the movies with Justin. "Um...that's right."

"Since when?" Harry demanded.

Lavender and Ron looked quizzically at Harry. They couldn't understand why he would have a problem with that.

"Since this morning when he asked her," Lavender said. She looked over to the table where Justin was sitting with Ernie.

Hermione cast a look at her roommate. Justin had not asked her to the movies nor did she intend on going to see any movies this weekend. She wasn't sure what Lavender's plan was.

"Justin must have bumped his head," Ron said.

"He should do more than bump his head," Harry muttered.

Neither Ron nor Lavender heard this, but Hermione had.

She turned in her chair and gave him a look. "What's so wrong with Justin taking me to the movies?" she challenged.

"Yeah," Lavender said taking her side. "It's not against the rules for trainees to date."

"I didn't say it was," Harry snapped.

Ron stood up, shaking his head. "I'm going to grab a glass of juice before we go back to class."

"You have five minutes," Harry stood up. "Don't' be late."

"Ooooh," Lavender said pushing her tray away. "I'd better head to the loo. I'll catch up to you in class, Hermione."

"Fine," Hermione rose and threw away the remains of her muffin.

Lavender hurried over to Justin to fill him in on what had happened. Hermione wished she'd just stayed in the classroom.

"What?" Justin asked. "Why'd you tell him that?"

"Ron was giving Hermione a hard time," Lavender told him. "So if he asks, just tell him you're taking Hermione to the movies on Saturday."

"Okay..." Justin looked over where Hermione was disappearing out the cafeteria doors. "Think she'd go if I actually asked her?"

"I think you're in with a chance," Lavender told him. She didn't know if that was true, but Hermione wanted to save face in front of Ron.

"Maybe I'll catch her before class then," Justin hurried out of the room.

"Good luck," Lavender whispered.

He managed to catch her just before she got back in the classroom. "Hey Hermione!" he called.

"Justin," Hermione said forcing a smile.

"Um... Lavender just told me about Ron," Justin turned a bit red. "And um... I thought if you wanted to, we could go see a movie so it's not just, you know... a lie or anything."

Hermione knew Lavender was only trying to help, but she had just made things worse. The last thing Hermione wanted to do was hurt Justin's feelings. But, if Harry was going on a date with some girl, who's to say that she couldn't go out with Justin. "Um, okay. Yeah."

"Really?" Justin brightened.

"Sure," Hermione said seeing Harry approaching. "That could be fun."

"Great," Justin said happily. "I'm really looking forward to it. Maybe afterwards we can go grab some coffee."

"I'd like that," Hermione said.

Justin leaned in and for a moment Hermione thought he was going to kiss her but he only pecked her cheek.

"I'll see you inside," Justin said.

"Right," Hermione said, turning away from Harry.

"Hermione--" he called after her.

"Yes?" she asked coolly.

"Tomorrow afternoon, we start flying techniques," Harry said. This wasn't at all what he'd wanted to tell her, but it was the first thing that popped into his head. "I--I hope that you like your broom."

She felt herself stiffen but wouldn't allow him to see that. "I suppose I don't' have a choice."

"It's a vital part of your training," Harry said keeping his tone business-like given that some of the other students were walking past them into the classroom.

"Fine," Hermione answered. "I'll get it."

"I'm sorry about earlier," he said quietly. "I hope you and Justin have a good time on your date."

"And you on yours," Hermione said uncomfortably.

"We'd better get inside," Harry said awkwardly.

"Right," Hermione moved past him and Harry closed the door behind them.

Harry called Lavender and Ernie up to the front of the class to try the disillusionment charm. Hermione tried to concentrate on the lesson.

"Move your wrist," Harry instructed the blonde. "To your right..."

"Like this?" Lavender asked.

"Right," Harry nodded. "That's good."

Lavender beamed at him. "I'm a natural."

Ernie rolled his eyes. "Then be a natural and cast the spell."

"Shut it, Ernie," Lavender said glaring at him.

Ernie flicked his wrist and shot a spell directly at her.

Lavender's hair turned green causing the blonde to shriek.

Harry was not amused. "Ernie, go sit down."

"Fine," Ernie grumbled.

"My hair," Lavender nearly cried.

"Change it back, Ernie," Harry ordered.

Ernie smirked. "I might have to get up off my chair."

Harry stared him down. "Well, you can practise this spell Saturday while the rest of your friends are enjoying their day off."

Ernie's smirk disappeared. "You can't do that!"

"Actually, I can," Harry shot back. "I am your teacher, Mr. Macmillan.";

"Whatever," Ernie snapped, crossing his arms and sitting back. "Then change her hair yourself."

"Ernie," Justin said to his friend. "Come on, mate."

Ernie glared at him. "Suck up."

"Get out," Harry said folding his arms. "And don't come back until you can refrain from your outbursts and you can respect my position as your instructor."

"You can't kick me out," Ernie said defiantly.

The rest of the class looked at Harry.

"Want to try me?" Harry asked in a low, dangerous voice.

"This is a joke," Ernie said pushing back from his chair and stalking out of the room.

The whole class broke out into whispers once he left. "Okay," Harry barked. "Back to work!"

"Um… my hair?" Lavender asked hesitantly.

Harry flicked his wand and Lavender's hair turned back to a gleaming blonde shade.

"Thank you," Lavender muttered before hurrying back to her seat.

Even Ron kept his antics subdued the rest of the lesson that day as to not risk Harry's wrath.

The trainees couldn't wait to get out of the class to gossip about what would happen with Ernie.

"Do you think he'll get kicked out?" Eloise asked.

"He should," Lavender huffed, touching her long hair. "I can't believe he almost ruined my looks."

Hermione thought the worse offence by far was Ernie back-talking to Harry. For some reason, Ernie didn't take Harry seriously.

"Well what do you think?" Lavender turned on her roommate. "I think Ernie should be kicked to the curb for what he did to me."

"Everything he did in there was out of line," Hermione replied.

Eloise nodded vigorously. "He'd never treat Professor Lupin that way."

Hermione couldn't have agreed more.

"Come on," Lavender said. "Let's grab some lunch."

"I forgot my bag," Hermione said hoping against hope that Harry had already left the classroom. "I'll catch up."

"We'll see you down there," Lavender told her, hurrying ahead.

Hermione nodded and walked quickly back to the classroom to retrieve her bag.

To her dismay, Harry was still inside, looking over a few files at the desk.

He looked up when she came into the room. "What are you doing back here?"

"I forgot my bag," Hermione said, moving quickly towards her desk. "I'll just grab it and go--"

"I shouldn't have let him get the best of me," Harry said quietly.

"Ernie?" Hermione asked. "He was a bloody moron. He shouldn't be talking to you like that."

"Yes, but I went to school with everyone in this room," Harry said leaning back in his chair. "I actually thought they'd take me seriously."

"Most of them do though," Hermione replied, approaching the desk. "Lavender's really impressed that you're teaching us."

"One out of ten," Harry said. "I'm really doing great, aren't I?"

Hermione crossed her arms. "We haven't been doing this that long. I think you're doing fine, Harry."

He smiled at her. "You really think so? Because sometimes I feel like the blind leading the blind."

"I don't think there's anyone better we could learn from," Hermione answered softly.

He held her gaze for a few moments before speaking again. "Thank you."

Hermione nodded. "I um... I guess I'll see you after lunch then."

"Yeah," Harry said his gaze still trained on her. "After lunch."

Hermione blushed at his intense look before turning and hurrying out of the room.

Harry nearly called after her, but stopped himself. They were supposed to be moving on.

Hermione hurried downstairs and joined Lavender and Eloise at a table in the cafeteria.

"We were afraid that Harry might have taken your head off," Lavender said. "Everything okay?"

"Its fine," Hermione answered. "He didn't say anything rude to me."

"That's good," Lavender said before taking a sip of her drink.

"I'm a little nervous about flying," Hermione confessed.

"Me too," Eloise said. "I'm rubbish at it."

"What?" Ron asked as he passed by. "Miss Perfect admits she's horrible at something?"

Hermione chose to ignore him.

"Ron quit it," Lavender ordered. "Remember the first time you tried to fly? Your broom whacked you right in the nose."

Hermione and Eloise had a good laugh at that.

"Thanks a lot," Ron glared at his ex girlfriend.

"How are Ginny and Neville?" Eloise asked, trying to keep the peace. "Are they handling the long-distance relationship as well as you and Luna?"

"They're good," Ron nodded, turning his back on Lavender and Hermione. "We're heading to Hogsmeade together to see them."

"Luna and Neville were always really nice to me," Eloise said. "I appreciated that."

"Parvati always thought Luna was a little off, but she liked her." Lavender said with a faraway look in her eyes.

"I still can't believe she's gone," Eloise said.

"I really miss her," Lavender wiped at her eyes. "I'm sorry. Just sometimes, it still really hurts..."

"We all do," Ron said. "Especially you and Harry, since you were the closest to her."

Lavender nodded. "And he never wants to talk about it."

"But at least he's attempting to move on now," Ron said referring to his friend's upcoming date with Megan.

Hermione bit her lower lip at the mention of Harry's upcoming date. Part of her now wished she hadn't taken Justin up on his offer.

"I don't know," Lavender said thoughtfully. "Megan's not really his type."

"But she's so hot," Ron stuffed some crisps into his mouth.

"Your girlfriend sure is one lucky girl," Hermione said rolling her eyes.

"Luna's happy with who I am," Ron told her. "I don't have to change for her."

"Like I said," Hermione said looking disdainfully at him. "Lucky girl."

"Just because no blokes find you attractive--" Ron began angrily.

Hermione felt a surge of anger and it took everything she had not to turn him into a slug.

"Enough, you two," Lavender said. "Can't we just have a nice quiet lunch?"

"Don't worry," Ron said grabbing his tray. "I'll go. "

"I can't stand him," Hermione said when he'd left.

"I think the feeling's mutual," Eloise commented.

"Well you'll have to live with it," Lavender sat back and began running her hand through her hair again. "He's your partner."

"Don't remind me," Hermione said. The three girls were silent for a few minutes, eating their meals. Hermione's curiosity got the better of her. "Lavender? That girl---Megan Jones. You said she wasn't Harry's type. Why?"

Lavender shrugged. "She's all right, I suppose, but she's sort of flashy. Always wants to be the centre of attention and to be seen. Harry's not like that."

"Why would his friend set them up if she's like that?" Hermione wondered aloud.

"I think Harry probably asked him just in general," Eloise nodded.

"Oh," Hermione said trying to appear disinterested.

"Why do you ask?" Lavender asked.

"She's probably just curious since she's the only one of us who didn't go to Hogwarts," Eloise guessed.

"Right," Hermione said quickly. "That's exactly it."

"I'll be surprised if this lasts more than one date," Lavender said seeing Harry walk into the cafeteria just as Padma Patil was walking out. "Oh no---"