Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

We really think you guys will enjoy this chapter ;) And be forewarned… CLIFFIE!

Lavender was baffled. Why had Charlie asked her for a walk if he was into this Jessica?

"Jess, how about we try and get Velma to shoot some fire?" Charlie asked.

"Sure," Jessica answered.

Jessica nodded toward one of the other handlers.

"This is going to be so cool," Justin said his eyes on the black haired girl.

Jessica opened the cage and gingerly stepped closer to the dragon.

"Easy Jess," Charlie said.

Jessica approached the dragon with extreme caution under the watchful eye of the group. She withdrew her wand.

Velma drew her head back and looked down at the trainer approaching her.

"Steady," Charlie called out to Jess. "Steady..."

"Easy girl," Jessica said in a soothing voice.

Hermione felt her breath catch in her throat as the dragon reared its head back and breathed fire in Jessica's direction.

She unconsciously stepped back against Harry as she stared up in awe.

Harry put a comforting hand on her shoulder and Lavender saw this out of the corner of her eye.

"That was something, wasn't it?" Ron asked Lavender.

"Yeah," she said absently.

Harry took his hand off of Hermione's shoulder and Lavender wondered what, if anything, she'd just witnessed.

"That was great," Charlie said to Jessica.

"Thanks," Jessica beamed at him.

"If you'll follow us," Charlie said. "We'll show you the Norwegian Ridgeback we have over here..."

Lavender momentarily forgot about Charlie and Jessica as she watched Harry and Hermione walking together.

He was walking closer to her than he normally would, and they were conversing quietly, almost intimately.

Lavender quickened her step so she could catch up to them, hoping she could hear what they were talking about. She knew she was probably overreacting, but she couldn't help thinking something was up. But, then again, Hermione was always one of the first people in their group to ask questions. She was always going up to Lupin and asking him for pointers or for recommendations on books. Perhaps that was what was going on here.

"... later?" she heard Harry ask.

"Okay," Hermione responded. "I'd like that."

"What?" Lavender didn't mean to ask aloud.

Hermione turned. "Lavender?"

"Uh... hi." Lavender grinned innocently.

Hermione looked quizzically at her. "Are you alright?"

"Fine," she said quickly. "You two?"

"Good," Harry replied. "Are you enjoying the lesson so far?"

"Very much," Lavender nodded. "I'm glad we came." her eyes strayed to Charlie.

Charlie stood in front of the group with Jessica. He explained the characteristics of the Norwegian Ridgeback and introduced them to Olaf and Olga, the reservation's two Ridgebacks.

"They're beautiful," Lavender breathed, staring up at them.

Charlie caught her eye. "The Norwegian Ridgeback is my favourite. Olaf and I arrived here at about the same time so I have a special place in my heart for him."

"Whatever happened to Norbert?" Harry asked Charlie.

Ron gulped. "Oh...please tell me he's not still here."

Charlie laughed. "He was sent to a special reserve in Greenland a few years ago."

"Who's Norbert?" Hermione asked Lavender.

"Why don't you ask Harry?" Lavender responded in a cold tone.

Hermione looked at her oddly. "What is that supposed to mean?"

Lavender hadn't meant for that to come out the way it had. She shook her head. "Nothing. I'm sorry, Hermione. The groundskeeper at Hogwarts is a really good friend of Harry's. Our first year at Hogwarts, he obtained a dragon egg and he cared for it until its birth. He named it Norbert, but he wasn't able to stay at the castle. Dumbledore sent him here to be with his own kind."

"Oh," Hermione said wistfully. "I wish I could have seen something like that..."

"I didn't," Lavender told her. "Ron told me about it when we were dating."

"I see," Hermione answered. "Still would have been cool to see..."

Charlie and Jessica showed the trainees two more breeds before calling it a day. Dinner would be in a half an hour and the groups splintered off as they made their way back to the main building. Lavender wanted to walk back with Charlie, but Jessica seemed to have taken permanent residence by his side.

"Just great," Lavender muttered to Hermione. "Feel like its one step forward and two steps back right now."

"You still have your walk with him after dinner," Hermione reminded her.

"True," Lavender nodded.

"I don't know about you, but I'm starving," Hermione said.

"I'm a little hungry," Lavender agreed.

Hermione wanted to freshen up a bit before dinner so she went upstairs to their room. Lavender followed a few moments later when it became apparent Jessica wasn't going anywhere.

Ron caught up with Harry. "Some of the blokes are going to play cards tonight. You in?"

"Uh... what time?" Harry asked.

"Nine or so," Ron replied.

"I don't' think so," Harry said. "I'm... I'm pretty tired."

Ron nodded. "I get it. You can't fraternize with us. Wouldn't look good."

"That's not it," Harry said. "I'm just tired. Haven't been sleeping so well lately."

"Nightmares?" Ron asked.

"Yeah," Harry lied.

"If you change your mind, you know where we are," Ron told him slapping him on the back.

"Right," Harry said. "Thanks mate."

It was times like this that Ron really missed Luna. It was bad enough that she wouldn't be able to come to the Ministry's Halloween Ball. She's already written to him and told him to ask someone to go. She knew that it would be a just friends thing and she was confident in their relationship.

He was considering skipping it altogether and just hanging in his room that night. He really had no desire to go to a dance of any sort without her.

Dinner was pretty subdued. Charlie introduced some of the other handlers to the trainees. Lavender couldn't eat much. She was nervous about their walk later.

"Do you think he only asked me as friends?" Lavender fretted to Hermione.

"I saw the way he was looking at you earlier," Hermione said. "Look, just play it by ear, Lav. Be yourself and see how things go."

"Okay," Lavender said. "I'm going to go back and freshen up really quick."

"Good luck," Hermione said smiling at her.

"Thanks," Lavender said, reminding herself to ask her friend later what was going on between her and Harry exactly,

Charlie finished his dinner and excused himself to meet Lavender. He didn't notice that Jessica pouted when he left the dining hall.

He waited outside the girls' room for her, and smiled when she opened the door. "Ready?"

Lavender nodded and grabbed her cloak. She didn't tell him that she'd half expected Jessica to be with him.

"I thought I'd show you some of the dragons a little more close up," Charlie told her.

"I'd like that," Lavender said smiling at him.

"Great," he said, reaching for her hand. "I'm glad you're here, Lav."

"Me too," Lavender said softly.

Charlie glanced admiringly at her. "You look great."

Lavender blushed. "Thanks. I've actually had this jumper for ages. It's the warmest one I have."

"Looks good on you," he winked.

"So, which dragons are you going to show me?" Lavender asked.

"I thought you might like seeing the Horntails a little closer," Charlie said.

"As long as they don't breathe fire at me," Lavender said.

"Just stay calm," Charlie told her. "They're used to me, so just don't make any sudden moves."

"Right," Lavender said linking her arm with his.

Charlie led her into the paddock, where the Horntails were sitting. "Stay behind me for now."

Lavender wordlessly nodded.

"Hey Velma," Charlie said soothingly. "Hey girl... going to let me in tonight?"

The horntail looked up and studied Charlie. The baby dragon, as always, stood right beside its mother.

"That's a girl," Charlie said, approaching slowly.

Lavender watched in awe while the dragon approached Charlie.

She looked past them and saw the baby dragon looking at her curiously. Almost as if she weren't in control of her body, she moved slowly towards it.

Charlie looked over at her. "Lav..."

"I think it's okay," she said softly, reaching out and stroking the top of the baby's head. Velma looked down at her, but didn't retaliate.

Charlie had never seen anything like this before.

Lavender could hardly control her excitement. "This is unreal!" she breathed.

"You're a natural," Charlie said.

"Thanks," she grinned at him.

"What made you want to work with them?" Lavender asked.

"They've always fascinated me," Charlie couldn't take his eyes off her.

"And the Norwegian Ridgebacks are your favourites?" Lavender asked. The baby dragon rested its chin on her knee.

"Normally," Charlie said with a grin.

Lavender had a feeling that after this moment, she would always be partial to the Hungarian Horntail.

"I've never seen these dragons take to someone new like this," Charlie shook his head. "You've got something in you, Lav."

Lavender shrugged. "I've always been really good with animals."

Charlie smiled at her again. "I think they can tell that you're a good person."

"Ah, you should see me in the mornings," Lavender said with a grin. "I'm not very sweet at all. I can be a right terror."

"I'll believe that when I see it," Charlie leaned in flirtatiously.

Velma started for the trees and the baby dragon looked up at Lavender before following its mother. Charlie was still looking at Lavender and she felt butterflies in her stomach. "Um...so what's next?"

"I'm not sure," he said sheepishly. "You... you sort of threw me for a loop there."

"Me?" Lavender asked taking his hand when he offered to help her to her feet.

"You just surprise me, that's all." he said. "You're not just another pretty face in the crowd."

"Thanks," Lavender blushed.

"You're one of a kind," he continued softly.

Lavender looked up at him. No one had ever really looked at her like this or said such sweet things to her.

"I've been thinking about you all week," Charlie said, weaving their fingers together.

Lavender smiled. She'd been thinking about him, too. More than she probably should have. "Me too."

"I know this might be hard," he said. "But... perhaps we could... I don't know... try something out?"

"W-what?" Lavender stammered.

"I know it's long distance," he said quickly. "But I like you a lot."

She liked him, too, but she'd seen him with Jessica that afternoon.

"Would you be at all interested?" he asked, seeing as how she hadn't responded.

"Yes, but--"

"But..." he nodded. "You're seeing someone else..."

Lavender shook her head. "No, but ...but you are."

"What?" he asked in surprise. "No I'm not."

Lavender raised an eyebrow. "Jessica?"

"Jess?" Charlie asked incredulously. "You think I'm seeing Jessica?"

Lavender nodded. "I saw you with her and Ron said---"

"You listened to Ron?" Charlie shook his head. "You went to school with him- I thought you'd know better than that."

"But he's your brother," Lavender protested. "Wouldn't he know?"

"No," Charlie answered. "Ron doesn't know. I'm not dating Jessica. I think of her like I think of Ginny. As a sister."

Lavender stared at him. "So you aren't seeing anyone? You're not interested in Jessica?"

Charlie laughed. "There's one girl here I'm interested in."

"Really?" Lavender asked.

"Uh huh," he said leaning in.

Lavender looped her arms around his neck.

"So you're interested?" he asked huskily.

"A little," Lavender flirted.

"Only a little?" Charlie smiled at her.

"I might need a little convincing," Lavender said smiling back at him.

"I might be able to do that," he said, leaning in a little more and brushing his lips against hers.

Lavender kissed him back. She'd kissed a few boys in her time, but they all paled in comparison to Charlie.

His arms slid around her waist, drawing her closer to him.

"Charlie," Lavender whispered.

"Yeah?" he asked softly.

"I don't know," Lavender said dreamily.

He laughed. "I don't know either." he said before kissing her again.

She knew this wasn't going to be easy. She lived in London, he lived here. She was going to have a very busy schedule with her training and he certainly had his hands full on the reservation.

"We can make this work," he said, brushing his mouth over her skin.

"And we have this weekend," Lavender said, her eyes still closed.

"Right," he agreed.

"Let's continue our walk," Lavender said taking his hand.

"Sure," he said, gazing at her with a grin.

"So," Lavender said grinning back at him.

"I'm really, really glad you're here," Charlie said, squeezing her hand.

"Me too," Lavender said. "It's nice to see you in your natural habitat."

He laughed. "You make me sound like one of the dragons."

"Do you breathe fire?" Lavender teased.

"Would you like to find out?" he joked.

"No," Lavender replied, shaking her head. "I'd like to stay on your good side."

"I'd like you to stay there too," he replied cheekily.

Lavender nudged him. "You aren't at all what I expected."

"I'm assuming that's a good thing," Charlie responded.

"It's a very good thing," Lavender grinned. She heard a low rumbling sound in the distance and the smile on her face fell. "What is that?"

Charlie gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. "That would be our Romanian Longhorns. One of them can get quite moody if we don't feed them on time."

"Oh," Lavender said. "I thought it might be the Horntails."

"No," Charlie said. "You'll get to see the Longhorns tomorrow."

"Okay," she replied, smiling up at him.

"I wish we had some more time," Charlie apologised. "But I have to help the others close down."

"Of course," Lavender blushed. "I'm... I'm glad we met up."

"Me too," Charlie said pulling her close again.

Lavender wound her arms around him as he kissed her again.

When they pulled apart, a few moments later, they were both grinning at each other. "So, I hope that I'll see you for breakfast?" he asked her.

"Yes," she responded dazedly. "Charlie?"

"Yes, Lavender?" Charlie asked.

"There's um... there's a ball at the Ministry around Halloween," Lavender said. "Do you think you'd be able to come to London for it?"

Charlie looked thoughtfully at her. "I'd have to wear dress robes and dance with you wouldn't I?"

Lavender giggled. "You'd have to wear a costume. And yes, you'd have to dance with me. Quite closely, as a matter of fact."

"I rather like the sound of that," Charlie said grinning at her. "I'd say you have a date, Miss Brown."

Lavender grinned back. "Fantastic."

Charlie knew he'd have to change shifts with one of his colleagues, but he wanted to see Lavender as much as possible.

"I'm already looking forward to it," she continued softly, pressing her lips against his again.

She couldn't wait to tell Hermione about what had happened.

"I really have to go," Charlie said regretfully. "I'll save you a seat at my table for breakfast."

"It's a date," Lavender said. "You go on ahead. I can see myself back."

"Okay," Charlie gave her one last kiss. "See you tomorrow."

Lavender practically floated back to the main house. She was absolutely smitten with Charlie Weasley.

She crept into the room and over to Hermione's bed intent on telling her friend every last detail.

"Hermione?" Lavender whispered.

She thought she saw someone lying on the bed so she prodded the blankets. "Hermione?"

It was only the pillows though and Lavender wondered where Hermione could have gone.

What she didn't know was that Hermione was several hundred metres away in Harry's private room.

She snuggled closer to Harry, feeling completely sated.

"This gets better ever time," Harry said, kissing the top of her head.

Hermione smiled, she couldn't have agreed more. She'd looked forward to this all day. "I would have understood if you'd wanted to play cards with the others..."

"I can do that anytime," Harry answered. "I wanted to be with you."

Hermione kissed his chest. She'd wanted to be with him, too. It was so hard having to pretend not to look at him, and to not reach for his hand when they were sitting together in front of the others.

Harry pulled her closer to him. "I wish you could stay here all night."

Hermione wanted that too, but knew it would be impossible. She rested her head on his chest, thinking what it would be like to be a real couple.

"You all right?" he asked.

"Of course," Hermione replied. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Just asking," Harry said, running his hand through her hair.

"Justin asked me to go the ball with him," Hermione said.

"What?" Harry asked, raising his head.

"He came up to me after dinner," Hermione said softly.

"What... what did you tell him?" Harry asked.

"He said it would be just as friends," Hermione said. "Since we have to go...."

"I'm just being a jerk," Harry said. "I can't expect you not to go with anyone."

"You know that I'd rather go with you," Hermione said.

"I wish we could go together too," Harry said, kissing her.

This situation wasn't ideal, but she'd put up with whatever she had to if it meant being with him like this. She was falling for him more and more each day.

Harry made a contented sound deep in his throat. "I don't want you to leave."

"Maybe I don't have to," Hermione said.

Harry gazed at her. "You don't think anyone will miss you?"

She told him how she'd set her pillows up in her bed to look like she was asleep. "We could set the alarm and I can sneak back into my room first thing in the morning."

Harry grinned at her. "Granger, you are the smartest witch I've ever met."

"Never underestimate a woman in--" Hermione started to say. She realised what she was about to tell him, her voice trailed off.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing," Hermione said quickly. She sat up in bed and reached for the alarm clock on the bedside table.

Harry watched her set it for six am before she settled back in next to him.

"So where were we?" Hermione asked wrapping her arms around him.

"We could get back to what we were doing before," Harry hinted.

Hermione grinned. "Oh....you mean THAT."

"THAT," Harry chuckled. "You're quite good at that."

Hermione laughed. "Well, you know I am an overachiever."

"I can certainly agree with that," Harry pulled her up against him.

They didn't say much of anything else the rest of the night. Hermione drifted off to sleep in Harry's arms. It didn't take long for Harry to fall asleep either. It had been a long day and what he and Hermione had just done had left him physically spent.

He dreamed of Hermione at the ball. She was wearing a gypsy costume and he couldn't take his eyes off of her.

Looking down, he realised he was dressed as a pirate. The two of them seemed to drift towards each other, meeting in the middle of the dance floor.

Someone grabbed his arm and he turned to see Parvati, wearing a long, flowing dress.

"Have you forgotten about me already?" she asked in a sultry tone.

"Parvati?" he asked in disbelief. "What are you doing here?"

"I've missed you," she said simply.

"I've missed you too," Harry said reaching for her.

"Harry," Hermione reached for his hand. "What about us?"

"He couldn't save me," Parvati said quietly. "He can't save you."

"That's because I saved him," Hermione said softly.

"You did," Harry said looking at her.

"What about me?" Parvati reached for him. "You said you loved me. You said we would start a family...."

"I know but--" Harry began.

"How could you let him do this to me?" Parvati asked. "How could you let You-Know-Who kill me, Harry?"

"I didn't mean to," Harry said. "I didn't know, Parvati."

"He has her now," Parvati said.

"What?" Harry spun around.

Parvati looked over his shoulder. "She's gone, Harry."

Harry turned around to see Hermione being pulled away from him. "Don't let him take me!" she begged.

Harry moved to follow her, but Parvati held on to him. "Don't leave me. You promised."

"But--" Harry looked back at Hermione. "I have to go to her."

When he turned back to Parvati, she was standing in a group with Sirius, Lily, and James. "She's going to join us soon."

"No," Harry shook his head. "No!"

Hermione awoke with a start when she heard Harry calling out in his sleep. "Harry?"

"No!" he thrashed around. "You can't take her from me!"

Hermione gently shook him. "Harry? Wake up..."

Harry shot straight up, his chest heaving. "Hermione?"

"I'm right here," Hermione replied putting her hand on his arm.

He turned to look at her and for a moment she didn't think he realised where he was.
"You had a bad dream," Hermione said gently.

"They were taking you away," Harry pushed his hair out of his face.

"Who was taking me away?" Hermione said.

"He was," Harry muttered. "Voldemort. Everyone... everyone said you were leaving me soon."

"I'm not going anywhere," Hermione said touching his cheek. "It was just a dream."

"Just a dream?" Harry blinked.

"Just a dream," Hermione reassured him. Her heart broke at the look on his face.

He nodded, pulling her to him in a rather bone crushing hug.

She let him hold her like that, knowing he needed her. It made sense to her now. To him, it must have seemed like everyone he cared about was taken away from him.

"I'm sorry," Harry apologised a few minutes later.

"There's no need to apologise," Hermione said giving him a kiss.

"You don't need to hear about all this," Harry said quietly.

"I don't mind," she said lying back down with him.

"I just... I've pushed everyone away for so long. I don't want to be alone anymore," Harry confessed.

"You don't have to be alone," Hermione said softly. "I'm here and I don't have any plans to go anywhere." She didn't want to say this so soon because she was afraid she would push him away. But, she wanted him to know how she was feeling. "I love you."

Harry looked at her properly. "You do?"

Hermione nodded. "Yes."

No one had told him that since he'd been with Parvati. And it completely shocked him to realise in that moment he felt the same way about her.

"You don't have to say it back," Hermione continued. "I just---I just wanted you to know how I was feeling. I've never felt this way in my life before. All I know is that when we're together, I just want time to stand still. When we're together, I feel safe and warm and happy." She saw the look on his face and put her head in her hands. "And I've completely freaked you out now...."

"No," he shook his head. "No you haven't."

"We should probably get back to sleep," Hermione said hastily.

"I love you too," Harry told her softly.

"I'm always putting the cart before the horse," Hermione rattled on. "I just--what?"

He smiled at her. "I love you too," he repeated.

Hermione smiled at him. "Really?"

"You made me want to get back out there and be a real person again," Harry told her. "That night in the pub... it changed everything for me."

"Me too," Hermione said putting her arms around him and hugging him tightly.

Harry held onto her as she buried her face in his shoulder.

There wasn't anything he wouldn't have done for her. He would do whatever possible to keep her safe.

Hermione looked at the clock. "We still have a few more hours before I have to get back," she said softly.

"We should probably get some sleep," Harry said.

She nodded. "I don't want to be tired tomorrow."

Harry waved his hand, turning off the lamp. He and Hermione settled back down and before long, they were both asleep. Early the next morning, Hermione awoke to the sound of the alarm. She said a quick goodbye to a groggy Harry and got dressed in her pyjamas. Gingerly, she opened the door and peered out into the corridor. The coast was clear and she tiptoed out of the room.

She managed to sneak back into the girls' room without anyone waking up and was sliding under the covers when a hand grabbed her wrist.