Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

Quite fitting that part of this chapter takes place on New Year's Eve. We hope you all had a safe and happy holiday! Enjoy!

Ron and Luna had seen each other nearly every day of the Christmas holiday, and were now spending a quiet New Year's Eve alone.

"This is nice," she murmured as he stroked her hair. "Being with you... having you all to myself."

"How did you manage that?" Ron asked softly. "Don't tell me your father had a New Year's date?"

"Your mum just happened to find out he had no plans," Luna said with a grin.

"She did, did she?" Ron asked grinning back at her. "And how did she find that out?"

"I might have mentioned something," Luna replied slyly.

"That's my girl," Ron said leaning in and kissing her.

"I'll always be your girl, Ronald." Luna closed her eyes.

"Even if I'm an Auror?" Ron asked.

"Of course," Luna said, looking at him.

Ron leaned back against the sofa. "I know you thought I should say something..."

"I just think you should be enjoying your job, not doing it out of a sense of duty," Luna responded.

"I wish it were that easy," Ron grumbled.

"I don't want to pressure you," she said softly. "I just want you to be happy."

"I am happy," Ron said looking at her. "When I'm with you."

"We could be together all the time if you wrote for Daddy's paper," Luna pointed out.

"That's true," Ron agreed.

"And you love to eat," Luna said. "You'd get to eat for a living."

Ron laughed. "I'm good at that."

"Quite so," Luna agreed, laying her head on his chest again.

"I love you," Ron said softly.

"I love you too," she said dreamily. "Every time you say that... I get this thrill."

"In that case," Ron said a mischievous gleam in his eye. "I love you. I love you. I love you."

She giggled. "Keep saying that..."

"I love you," Ron said nuzzling her neck. "I love you..."

"That tickles," Luna was laughing as she wound her arms around him.

"Feels pretty good to me," Ron said with a grin.

"You always feel good to me," Luna whispered.

Ron kissed her again. She was going back to Hogwarts in a couple of days and he wasn't looking forward to being away from her until Easter.

"Let's just stay here all night," Luna suggested. "Not move off this sofa."

"I don't see why we'd have to," Ron said thoughtfully. "I have the best girl...food...good music..."

"Exactly," she agreed with a smile.

The music on the wireless ended and a reporter announced that they were live from Diagon Alley. "...the crowd is packed tightly around the square celebrating. Unfortunately, there's no sign of the most famous wizard of all, Harry Potter. The Boy Who Lived is nowhere to be seen. Could he be ringing in the New Year with his mystery woman?"

Ron rolled his eyes. "Why can't they just leave him alone?"

"I know," Luna said. "But hopefully he's having a nice holiday away from their prying eyes."

"He's with Hermione at Grimmauld Place," Ron said.

Luna smiled. "That's great. I hope they're having a nice time."

The couple in question was in fact, having quite a nice time. They were lying on a thick blanket in front of the fireplace.

"We're almost out of popcorn," Hermione said looking down at the bowl.

Harry waved his hand and the bowl filled again. "Better?" he asked with a grin.

"Okay, now you're showing off," Hermione laughed.

"And you love when I do that," Harry said smugly.

"Maybe I like a more modest bloke," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"I can do that too," Harry looked over at her.

"You can be modest?" Hermione asked. "I'll believe that when I see it."

"Long as I can keep you around while I try it," Harry nuzzled her neck.

"I guess I could stick around if you wanted to try," Hermione whispered.

"I'd try anything for you," Harry said softly.

Hermione smiled at him. She'd been deliriously happy the entire time they'd been here. There was no need to worry about someone walking in on them or seeing them. They could just be with each other without any worries. This was a preview to how their life would be once training was over. She couldn't wait.

Harry rolled his eyes when he heard them on the Wireless speculating his whereabouts once again. "Am I really THAT interesting?"

Hermione tilted her head and studied him. "Hmm...Not really."

He poked her. "You better have a better answer than that."

"Well, there is that thing you do," Hermione murmured. "You know..."

"This?" Harry ran his hand over her stomach.

Hermione's breath caught in her throat. "Mmmhmm."

"And this?" Harry asked, nipping at her ear.

"That...that's good too," Hermione said softly, closing her eyes.

Harry kissed her gently, still running his hands over her warm skin.

Hermione wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Let's just sleep here tonight," he murmured huskily. "I don't think I want to move for the rest of the holiday."

Hermione grinned. "I like that idea. It's all nice and warm here."

"In fact," Harry continued. "Let's never move again."

Hermione laughed. "We might be missed..."

"Maybe a little," Harry shrugged.

Hermione grinned. "Couldn't you hear it now? The Boy Who Lived has disappeared. Where has he gone? Who is he with?"

"It would be quite the controversy," Harry pulled her closer.

"I wonder how your friend Neville feels," Hermione said. "That article in the Prophet this morning that said you might have reunited with Ron's sister..."

Harry rolled his eyes. "No way."

"What was it that the article said?" Hermione asked. "She was your soulmate?"

"You are my soulmate," Harry said as he kissed under her ear. "Anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain... delusional."

Hermione smiled. "I like the sound of that...soulmate."

Harry grinned back at her.

"And it's our little secret," Hermione said kissing him.

"Yes it is," Harry stroked back her hair.

"This holiday has been absolutely perfect," Hermione said dreamily.

"I just wish it wasn't coming to an end," Harry agreed. "It was too short."

"We'll still have the weekends," Hermione said. "And some nights..."

"As many as we can manage," Harry agreed.

Hermione rested her head on his chest. "I didn't know it was possible to be this happy, Harry."

"I didn't either, until I met you," he said softly. "I never loved anyone this much."

Hermione looked up at him. "But--- Parvati?"

"I loved her," Harry said. "But I never felt for her what I do for you."

"Harry," Hermione said softly, touching his cheek.

"It's a bit terrifying," he admitted.

She knew exactly what he meant. They'd met each other under less than ideal circumstances and now what seemed like a short time later, they were wrapped up in each other's lives. She had nothing to compare this to because this was the first time she'd ever felt this way about anyone.

"I really do want to just fall asleep here," Harry closed his eyes.

Hermione rested her head on his chest again and closed her eyes. "I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too," Harry pulled a blanket over the two of them.

"Don't you go hogging the covers," Hermione teased.

"With you on top of me?" Harry returned.

"Yesterday morning, I woke up with no blankets," Hermione reminded him. "And you were snoring."

"Whatever," Harry said. "I think you were snoring."

"Grangers do not snore," Hermione said defensively.

"Sure they don't," Harry smirked.

"That was you," Hermione said poking him in the side.

"If you say so," Harry poked her back.

"You also leave the toilet seat up," Hermione pointed out.

"I'm a guy," Harry reasoned.

"Who has obviously not lived with women," Hermione said.

"I haven't," Harry answered.

"So I can train you," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Train me?" Harry raised an eyebrow. "Hermione--"

"Yes, Mr. Potter?" Hermione asked.

"We can live together just fine without any 'training'." Harry told her.

"I don't know," Hermione said getting to her feet and taking the blanket with her.

"What?" Harry asked. "Hermione--"

Hermione turned around and grinned at him. "I'm only teasing. You don't have to be trained."

Harry made a face at her.

"You should have seen the look on your face," Hermione laughed.

"Very funny," Harry reached for the blanket.

"Oh, no you don't!" Hermione said stepping back.

"Hermione!" he whined.

"That's not very becoming," Hermione said grinning at him.

"Well neither is freezing my arse off," Harry replied, grabbing the edge of the blanket.

"Hey!" Hermione protested.

"Get back down here," Harry said.

"Okay," Hermione relented. "We can share."

Harry kissed her when she lay back down next to him.

"This is much better," Hermione said snuggling up in his arms.

"Yes it is," he agreed softly.

"It's nearly midnight," Hermione said as she heard the announcer on the wireless announce that there was only a few more minutes left in the year.

"I have a feeling this is going to be the best year of my life," Harry grinned at her.

"It's going to be hard to live up to this past year," Hermione said.

"I think we'll manage," Harry pulled her over on top of him.

"We're going to miss the countdown," Hermione whispered.

"Doesn't matter," Harry said.

"Mmmhmm," Hermione murmured. "This is a much better way to ring in the New Year."

"Yes it is," he ran his hands through her hair.

Hermione smiled down at him. "You still want to stay here forever?"

"You'd better believe it," Harry said huskily.

"Well," Hermione said positioning herself right where he wanted. "When we're through, you're not going to be able to move..."

"Do it to me, Granger," Harry challenged.

Hermione grinned. "You asked for it..."

He let out a grunt as she pushed herself onto him. His hands found her hips and Hermione rocked her body backwards.

"...Ten....nine..." the announcer's voice came over the wireless.

"Harry," Hermione gasped.

He couldn't even talk as he pushed up harder into her.

"...seven...six...five," the countdown continued.

Hermione rode on him, feeling her body tighten around him as the announcer hit zero.

"Happy New Year!" the announcer's voice filled the room just before music began to play.

Harry grinned up at her as she collapsed against him. "Happy New Year, sweetheart."

"Happy New Year," Hermione said breathlessly.

"Now that is the best way to start the year," Harry joked.

Hermione laughed. "Absolutely."

"You hungry?" he asked.

Hermione nodded.

"I have some leftover fish and chips," Harry said.

Hermione sat up. "I can do better than that. I'll make us a sandwich."

"Okay," Harry grinned at her as he reached for his boxers and jeans.

Hermione quickly got dressed and gave him one last kiss before heading into the kitchen.

Harry dressed then moved the blanket up onto the sofa.

He walked over to the window and saw that it was still snowing. Earlier that afternoon, he had Hermione had gone in the backyard and had a snowball fight.

The memory of it brought a grin to his face. He'd gotten her right in the face and in retaliation she had pummelled him with snowballs until he was forced to admit defeat.

Hermione came back into the room carrying a tray of food. "I hope you wanted butterbeer."

"Sounds great," Harry turned around.

"I love this place," Hermione said setting the tray down.

"I love it when you're here," Harry reached for a sandwich.

Hermione smiled at him. "It's awfully big for one person, but I could see raising a family here."

"Oh yeah?" Harry asked.

Hermione blushed. She probably shouldn't have said that. "I mean...you know if you wanted to raise a family. Years and years from now..."

"Three years from now?" Harry asked.

"Three years or four," Hermione said with a shrug. "You never know..."

"No," Harry agreed as he gazed at her. "You don't..."

"I mean, this house might be a nice place to start a family," Hermione said looking around.

"It still needs a lot of work," Harry replied.

"Let's just forget I said anything," Hermione said hastily. "So...how's your sandwich?"

"Hermione," Harry said. "I feel the same way you do."

"You do?" Hermione asked.

"Of course I do," Harry moved closer to her.

Hermione smiled. "You know I never thought much about it actually, but the last few days...I don't know. I just started thinking about you and me....and a family."

"It's hard not to, living in a house like this," Harry said. "But really, before I could move anyone in here long term, it needs work. There are loads of rooms that haven't been touched in years."

"We could do that," Hermione said excitedly. "Whenever we have free time..."

"Free time is going to be hard in the next few years," Harry told her.

"Well," Hermione said. "We have our holiday breaks...and a few weeks during the summer..."

"Let's tackle it then," Harry slid an arm around her.

"Really?" Hermione asked beaming at him.

"Sure," Harry said. "I do own the place."

"Oh, Harry!" Hermione kissed him.

He laughed. "Were you this happy at the stroke of midnight?"

"What were we doing at the stroke of midnight?" Hermione asked pretending to be clueless.

He nudged her side.

"Oh," Hermione said. "It's all coming back to me now."

"I should hope so," Harry nuzzled at her neck.

Hermione smiled. "I love you more than anything, Harry."

"I love you too," Harry kissed her.

He held her to him and he couldn't help but remember the last time he'd made plans for the future like this. It hadn't worked out with Parvati.

It WOULD work with Hermione. Harry would make sure that they stayed together.

*** *** ***

Padma ran her fingers through her long hair, which she'd left down to look more like her sister's. "Are you sure about this?" she asked Ernie warily.

Ernie nodded. "You look just like her, Padma. You really, really do."

Padma sighed. "All right, I suppose. But I don't have much time for this."

Ernie squeezed her hand. "You're going to be fine. Look, Potter usually comes down here before class. You know what you have to do, right?"

"Right," Padma said, wishing he'd stop staring at her.

It was hard not to stare. With her hair down like this, she was so much like Parvati it was jarring. He longed to run his fingers through her hair and pull her close.

"I guess I'd better go," Padma tried to pull her hand away from his. "Ernie! Let go of me!"

"Sorry," he said hastily.

She was regretting her decision to get involved in this but felt it was too late to back out now. "There he is," she said.

"Good luck," Ernie whispered before ducking out of sight.

Padma turned until she could see Harry out of the corner of her eye. When he was just about to pass her, she tossed her hair back in a gesture she'd seen her sister do often.

Harry felt a chill and he turned just in time to see a sight he hadn't seen in quite some time. "Parvati?" he called out uncertainly.

Padma ducked down a corridor without answering him.

Harry turned around looking for some sign of what he'd thought he'd just seen. But, it couldn't have been her.

Ernie nearly laughed in glee as he saw Potter scratching his head. That idiot actually thought he'd seen Parvati!

Harry turned to walk back toward the classroom. The sound of familiar laughter echoed in the hall. "Harry...."

"Parvati?" Harry called out again.

Padma ducked behind the large closet against the wall as Harry poked his head inside.

Padma held her breath as Harry stepped into the room.

She hoped he wouldn't actually find her. She and Ernie had not gone this far in their plan.

Someone put their hand on Harry's shoulder and he nearly jumped out of his skin. He turned around to see Hermione.

"Hermione, you startled me," Harry snapped.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said, taken aback by his tone.

"I--I thought I heard something," Harry said which was partially true. His tone was softer this time. "I was just checking this room out."

"Oh," Hermione said. "Um... I finished my essay and I wanted you to take a look at it."

"I'm sure it's fine," Harry reassured her.

Padma whispered a quick spell so her next words would only be heard by Harry.

"I love you, Harry," she said in her sister's soft tone.

"What?" Harry spun back around, nearly knocking Hermione over.

"Don't leave me," Padma whispered. "My Harry..."

Harry wildly turned again. "Parvati!"

Hermione looked at her boyfriend with wide eyes. "Harry? Are you okay?"

"Fine," Harry said abruptly. "Let's go."

"Goodbye my love," Padma whispered.

Harry slammed the door behind them and stalked down the corridor.

"Harry!" Hermione hurried after him.

"What?" he asked tersely, trying to figure out what exactly had just happened.

"What's wrong?" Hermione asked wishing he would slow down.

"Nothing," Harry said. "We should get to the classroom."

Hermione wanted to say something else, but some of her fellow trainees were milling about in the halls now.

Harry dropped his case onto the desk in the front of the room and ran his hand through his hair. What the hell had just happened in there? How could Parvati be talking to him?"

Hermione reluctantly took her seat. She wished she could talk to Harry to find out what was truly wrong. Earlier, he'd said Parvati's name. What was that about?

"Morning," Lavender slid into the seat next to her with a yawn. "Where were you so early?"

"I-I wanted Harry to read over my essay," Hermione replied.

Lavender gave her a sly look. "Uh huh..."

Hermione shook her head. "No, it wasn't like that."

"Why not?" Lavender asked.

"He's acting strange," Hermione whispered.

"Strange how?" Lavender lowered her voice.

"I'll tell you at our break," Hermione whispered.

Lavender nodded as Harry stood up. "Is everyone here?" he asked irritably.

Ron ambled in with a cocky grin. "They are now. No applause, just throw money."

"Sit down," Harry snapped. "This is a serious class. You don't just wander in when you feel like it."

"O-Kay," Ron said slowly. He sat down at his desk with a glass of juice and a muffin he'd picked up from the cafeteria.

"Weasley, there's no eating in class, you know that," Harry chastised.

"I woke up late, Harry," Ron said. "I didn't have time to sit down and eat breakfast so I brought this to class. Come on, mate. Have a heart."

"Put it away," Harry snarled. "Unless you want to leave."

Ernie hid his grin. Padma had obviously gotten under Potter's skin.

"Fine," Ron said shortly, glaring at his friend.

"I hope everyone finished their essays," Harry announced.

There was a rustling of paper as everyone took theirs out. Ernie paled- in his haste to bring Potter down; he'd forgotten to do his.

Just outside the classroom, Padma was preparing to do one last pass in the hall. After this, she had to get to work. She was already late as it was.

"Ernie?" Harry snapped. "Where's yours..." his voice trailed off as he saw the dark haired girl pass by the room.

"Where's what, Professor?" Ernie asked innocently, but Harry didn't seem to hear him.

As if he were in a trance, he headed for the door quickly.

"Harry?" Ron asked. "What's going on?"

Harry didn't answer as he poked his head outside. There was no one in the corridor and he frowned.

What the hell was wrong with him?

"Nothing," Harry said shortly. "Ernie! Where's your essay!" he barked.

"I need an extension," Ernie said. "I would really appreciate an extension, Professor."

"I'm not giving you an extension," Harry glared at him. "You had two weeks to get this done."

Ernie shrugged. He'd take the failing grade because today he'd gotten what he'd wanted.

"You might remember you are STILL on probation," Harry told him.

"Yes, sir. I promise it will not happen again," Ernie said with false sincerity.

Harry glared at him before heading to the front of the class.

"Open your training manuals," Harry ordered. "Read the chapter on Defensive spells and counterattacks."

"Aren't we going to do any real training today?" Ron asked.

"Read the manual, Weasley," Harry said tersely.

"What's your problem?" Ron muttered, opening his book.

"Just leave it, Ron," Hermione hissed.

"Miss Granger, I can run my own class without your input," Harry barked.

Hermione stared at him in shock. He'd never once taken that tone with her.

Harry sat down at his desk and put his head in his hands.

Lavender shot Hermione a quizzical look.

Hermione honestly didn't know what was going on with Harry. Last night when she'd seen him, he couldn't have been more loving and affectionate.

With a heavy sigh, she turned the pages in her book until she found the chapter and began to read.

Harry thought about why he would be thinking of Parvati and imagining her face everywhere now. He had just spent a wonderful holiday with Hermione. There was no reason to dwell on the past.

But why was she there? How could she suddenly appear after a year?

He was just hallucinating, he told himself. That was the only logical explanation. Residual guilt over her death was coming back to rear its ugly head. That had to be it.

Harry looked up at Hermione, who was concentrating on the chapter he'd assigned. He felt bad for snapping at her now. She'd only tried to help. This wasn't her fault. He would apologise to her at the morning break.

"Miss Granger," he said when he'd dismissed them. "Would you wait a moment, please?"

"I'll save you a seat in the caf," Lavender promised patting her friend on the shoulder before leaving the room with Eloise.

"Thanks," Hermione murmured quietly as she approached Harry's desk.

"I'm sorry," Harry said once they were alone.

Hermione shrugged, not meeting his eyes.

"I'm just in a mood today," Harry told her. "I didn't mean to take it out on you."

"When we were in that room," Hermione began. "I heard you call out for Parvati."

"You must have misheard me," Harry said.

"No I didn't," she said. "Harry--"

"It was nothing," Harry said, cutting her off. "Just drop it, okay?"

"Fine," she said coolly, turning to leave.

"Hermione," Harry called after her. "I'm sorry for acting like an ass. Don't leave like this."

"Then talk to me," Hermione turned around.

"You'll think I'm crazy," Harry said.

"No I won't," she said softly.

"This morning," Harry told her. "Out in the hall...I, um, heard Parvati's voice and I saw her, Hermione. I saw her."

"How?" Hermione asked. "How could she be here?"

Harry shook his head. "She's not. She can't be."

"Right," Hermione touched his face. "Someone's just playing a trick."

"Or maybe it's just all in my head," Harry said thoughtfully.

"The guy I love isn't a head case," Hermione smiled at him for the first time that morning.

"I'm not so sure about that," Harry said putting his arms around her waist.

"I am," Hermione said softly.

Harry leaned in and softly kissed her.

"This is better," Hermione said. "Much, much better."

"You like me better when I'm not being moody and mean?" Harry asked with a grin.

"Am I being that transparent?" Hermione joked.

"Just a little," Harry said laughing.

She kissed him again, more passionately. "Hopefully this helps the moody and mean turn into happy and nice."

"It certainly does," Harry said huskily.

"Good," Hermione answered.

"So," Harry said. "We're okay now?"

"Of course we're okay," Hermione said.

"I suppose I have to apologise to Ron too," Harry said.

"Might be a nice idea," Hermione nibbled at his ear. "And I should go make an appearance in the cafeteria so we don't raise any suspicion."

"I'll walk with you," Harry said reluctantly pulling away. "You can tell me about your essay."

"All right," Hermione agreed.

"Did you stick to the four page rule?" Harry asked holding the door open for her.

Hermione made a face. "It was hard, but yes."

"You wrote really small, didn't you?" he asked.

"Maybe," Hermione answered.

"I know you too well," Harry said shaking his head.

"You sure do," Hermione said as they got into the lift.

"I'm sure it's great," Harry said. "Lupin says every essay you've done for him has been brilliant."

Hermione blushed with pride. "Well I always do my best with schoolwork."

"That's not all you do your best at," he said nudging her.

"Not here," she hissed, but she was grinning.

"I am sorry about earlier," Harry said. "You didn't deserve that."

"It's okay now," Hermione said. "Really... but just don't hide things from me."

"No secrets," Harry promised as the lift pinged open.

"Good," Hermione said, stepping out.

"I have to have a quick word with Lavender," Harry told her.

"I'm going to get a bite to eat," Hermione said. "I'll see you back in the classroom."

Harry nodded and set off in the opposite direction once they entered the cafeteria. Lavender was sitting with Eloise at a table in the back.

"Lavender, I was hoping we could have a word in private?" Harry asked.

Lavender didn't look too thrilled at that prospect given his behaviour in class that morning.

"I'm going to go for some more coffee," Eloise said hastily.

Harry sat down. "Something really strange happened today." he leaned in. "I um... I saw Parvati."