Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

If you like Lav/Charlie, you'll enjoy this chapter. Please review!

She made it back into the room without anyone seeing her. Lavender was still up, reading in bed.

Lavender just shook her head when she saw the happy look on her friend's face. There was no need to ask if she'd had a good evening.

"Hi," Hermione said. "What are you reading?"

"The new Sabrina Sinclair novel," Lavender said holding it up for Hermione to see.

"I see," Hermione said, reaching into a drawer for her pyjamas.

Lavender giggled when she heard Hermione humming a little tune. "Good night?"

"Harry's so dreamy," Hermione said.

Lavender gaped at her friend. "Did I just hear Hermione Granger call someone 'dreamy'?"

"I know," Hermione laughed. "But he is. He's just so perfect."

"I think it's safe to say the feeling is mutual," Lavender commented. "I saw how he was with you at the hospital."

"Tonight when I got there he had a nice, hot bath waiting for me, with candles and a robe." Hermione recalled. "And then he brought me a glass of wine and we had dinner together."

Lavender grinned. "That's very romantic."

"Quite so," Hermione agreed.

"Did you two decide about Christmas?" Lavender asked.

Hermione nodded. "We've decided to stay at his godfather's house."

Lavender was silent for a few moments.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"He hasn't been back there since before the war," Lavender said. "Wow."

"Really," Hermione sat down on the edge of her bed. "I didn't know that."

Lavender nodded. "He told Parvati once that he would never go back there because there were too many memories of Sirius."

"But then why would he want me to come back?" Hermione wondered.

"I think that should be obvious," Lavender said. "You brought him back in more ways than one, Hermione."

"Thanks," Hermione said softly.

"We'd better get to sleep," Lavender said.

The brunette nodded. "I'm pretty tired."

"And in luuuuuuuuuuuuuurve," Lavender teased.

"Look who's talking," Hermione returned.

"Oh, Harry's soooooo dreamy," Lavender cooed.

Hermione threw a pillow at her.

"Good night, Hermione," Lavender said setting her book aside.

"Night," Hermione said as Lavender tossed the pillow back.

"Teacher's Pet," Lavender retorted.

"Dragon lover," Hermione teased.

"Guilty," Lavender giggled.

"I'll see you in the morning," Hermione said, turning out her light.

"Good night," Lavender said turning off her lamp, too.

*** *** ***

Molly Weasley had invited Ernest and Luna Lovegood over for Christmas dinner, and Ron and Luna were currently sitting by the fire in the sitting room.

"I am completely stuffed," Luna said. "Your mother is an excellent cook, Ronald."

Ron put his arm around her. "That's one of the reasons I love being home."

"Two weeks and I get to see you every day," Luna said happily.

"Ronnie?" George called out. "We just put some mistletoe out. Why don't you and Luna come and try it out?"

"I don't think so," Luna said shaking her head. "There might be Nargles in there."

"That and my brothers probably hexed it somehow," Ron said. "NO THANKS!"

Fred glared at him. "Ronnie, we would never do that to you!"

"Yeah right," Ron retorted.

Ernest chuckled. "Molly, your Fred and George certainly have quite an imagination."

"Sometimes too much so," Molly cast disapproving looks at her twin sons.

Ron grimaced when he caught sight of Neville and Ginny snogging on the other sofa.

"Come on," he said. "Let's go for a walk."

"Wear your cloaks," Molly said to them. "It's cold out there. I think we're going to get snow."

"Right Mum," Ron nodded.

Luna kissed her father on the cheek. "We'll be right back, Daddy."

"Have fun dear," Ernest told her.

Ron helped Luna on with her cloak. "Maybe we should go out the other door to avoid the mistletoe?"

"Good idea," Luna replied.

Ron took her hand and led her out the back door. It was rather chilly outside and Ron pulled Luna close.

"I've missed you so much," Luna said softly.

"I've missed you too," Ron said huskily. "You're the only thing that's gotten me through my training."

"Ronald," Luna said. "Have you thought any more about that position at the Quibbler?"

"The food critic?" Ron asked.

"I really think you'd be perfect for it." she told him.

"Me?" Ron asked. "A writer?"

"And a food taster," Luna said with a smile.

Ron laughed. "That sounds like it would be right up my alley."

"And we'd get to spend loads of time together," Luna added softly.

Ron looked properly at her. She'd mentioned this before, but he hadn't taken her seriously. "Luna..."

"I know you think being an Auror is your calling, but you just don't seem so happy about it," Luna said.

Ron shrugged. "It's not so bad. The flying part is really great."

"That's all?" she asked.

Ron tried to think of something else that he liked about the training program, but his mind went blank.

"Well, um..."

"Just think about it a bit more for me," Luna said, looking up at him.

Ron put his arms around her and hugged her tightly. "I'd do anything for you, Luna."

"I love you so much," Luna hugged him back.

"I love you too," Ron said. "You know, I'm going to marry you someday."

She grinned. "I like to hear that."

"Luna Weasley," Ron said spinning her around.

The blonde laughed. "It's a perfect fit."

The sound of her laughter was like music to his ears. Truth be told, he hadn't been this happy since that night he'd seen her at the Halloween Ball.

"You really think I'd make a good food critic?" Ron asked her. "You're not just saying that because you love me and you think I'm perfect?"

"I really do think you'd make a good food critic," Luna told him.

"I'm definitely passionate about food," Ron said thoughtfully. "And I'd love the chance to eat at all these different restaurants..."

Luna squeezed his hand. "And if you needed any help in writing, I'd be right there."

"Really?" Ron asked, seriously considering this for the first time.

"Yes," Luna replied. "I promise."

"I'd have to think of a really cool name for my column," Ron said grinning at her.

"We could think of something, definitely," Luna said encouragingly.

Ron leaned in and kissed her.

She made a noise in her throat, wrapping her arms around him.

Ron nuzzled her neck. "Luna..."

"I want to stay over tonight," Luna said softly.

"You do?" Ron asked touching her cheek.

"Yes," she said. "Very much so."

"I think that could be arranged," Ron said before giving her another kiss.

"We should make a blizzard," Luna giggled. "Then we'd have to stay."

"Yes, but your dad might not like the idea of you and me sharing a room," Ron said with a laugh.

"We don't have to tell him," Luna giggled.

"My devious girlfriend," Ron teased. "Come on...let's go back before they send out a search party."

Luna kissed him one more time. "Dessert."

"My favourite," Ron said smiling at her.

Hand in hand, they headed back into the Burrow.

"You're just in time," Molly said. "We were about to have dessert and coffee."

"Great," Ron said. "I'm starved!"

Ginny looked at the clock. The hand with her brother's picture was still pointed at "Travelling". "I hate that Charlie missed dinner."

"He'll be here soon with Lavender," Molly answered. "I'm looking forward to meeting her. She sounds just lovely."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Doesn't anyone else find it odd that she used to date Ron?"

Fred guffawed. "Well the fact that ANY girl would date Ron is quite odd..."

Ron checked to see if his mother was watching and quickly hit the back of Fred's head.

"Ow!" Fred yelped.

Ron shrugged innocently when Molly looked in their direction.

"Mum!" Charlie's voice rang out from the sitting room. "We're here!"

"Charlie!" Ginny squealed.

Neville laughed and followed his girlfriend into the sitting room. Out of all of her brothers, Ginny was closest to Charlie.

"Who is this?" Charlie asked laughing when he saw his sister. "This isn't my little sister..."

"Shut up," Ginny said laughing as she hugged him tightly.

Lavender smiled at Neville. "Hi, Neville! Happy Christmas!"

"Lavender," he said warmly. "It's good to see you!"

Ginny beamed at her boyfriend. "Neville, you remember Charlie, right?"

"Of course," Neville put out his hand. "Good to see you."

"Nice to see you too, mate," Charlie said shaking Neville's hand. "Sorry we're late."

"My mum and dad had to grill him," Lavender explained.

"And you made it out alive?" Neville joked.

"They loved him," Lavender announced proudly. "As I knew they would."

Charlie put his arm around her. "We had a great time."

"Come on," Ginny said. "We were about to have dessert."

"Great," Charlie squeezed his girlfriend's hand. "We could do for something sweet."

Lavender looked adoringly at him. She was nervous about seeing his family again, but she was among friends. She looked over at Ginny but the younger girl was glaring at her. "That's a really nice jumper, Ginny. That colour looks great on you."

"Thanks," Ginny said coolly.

The moment Charlie walked into the kitchen, he was engulfed in a Molly Weasley bear hug.

"Charlie!" Molly exclaimed.

"Hi Mum," Charlie wheezed. "I've missed you too."

Arthur put his hand on his wife's shoulder. "Molly, he can't breathe."

"I've just missed him so much," Molly wiped her eyes.

Charlie gave his father a hug. "How are you doing, Old Man?"

Arthur chuckled. "I have some new gadgets to show you in the shed."

"I might have one or two for you," Charlie said.

Arthur's face brightened. "I can't wait!"

"Hello, Lavender," Molly said smiling politely at the young woman. "It's so nice to have you here."

"Hi," Lavender said a bit nervously. "Thank you so much for inviting me."

"You're quite welcome," Molly said. "You know Ginny, Neville, Ron and Luna, of course. That tall bloke at the end of the table with the too long hair is my oldest, Bill."

"Mum," Bill said rolling his eyes. "You do realise that I'm an adult now?"

Lavender giggled. "Hi Bill."

"And Fleur, his wife," Molly said. "And the little girl on Fleur's lap is their oldest, Sophie. The baby, Josette, is upstairs."

"Bonjour," Fleur said warmly.

Lavender remembered the Veela from the Triwizard Tournament her fourth year at Hogwarts. "You're looking lovely, Fleur." she said.

"Merci," Fleur replied in a soft tone.

Fred cleared his throat. "Aren't you forgetting someone, Charlie?"

"Nope," Charlie said with a straight face. "I think I got everyone..."

George pushed past his brother and extended his hand to Lavender. "You remember us, of course. Fred and George Weasley, the best looking of the lot."

"The tricksters, right?" Lavender asked with a grin.

"That's right," Fred said proudly.

"Come, come," Molly waved them into the kitchen. "Everyone sit down!"

"Alright?" Charlie whispered to his girlfriend.

"So far so good," Lavender smiled at him.

Charlie squeezed her hand. "They love you."

"I hope so," Lavender thought about the look Ginny had given her a few minutes ago.

Charlie grinned when his mother put a plate of chocolate cake before him. "Mum, I love you."

"I'm just so happy you're here," Molly moved to hug him again.

Charlie laughed and shared a look with Lavender. "I told you, didn't I?"

"Yes you did," Lavender reached for his hand.

"How are things on the reservation?" Ginny asked her older brother.

"Great," Charlie said. "Brownie is growing like a weed."

"Who's Brownie?" Ginny asked.

"Lavender's dragon," Charlie said with a grin.

Lavender told them about what had happened at the reservation. "She was the cutest thing."

"She fell in love with Lavender," Charlie said.

"Not really," Lavender said hastily. "We just sort of bonded I guess..."

"She's being modest," Charlie said. "I've never seen a dragon of that kind take to someone so fast."

Ginny rolled her eyes and looked down at her plate.

"Neville, how are your holidays, so far?" Lavender asked her old friend.

"Great," Neville said. "I've been able to see Gin every day, and I also spent some time with my parents."

"That's great," Lavender smiled at him.

"We've been having a great time," Neville looked at his girlfriend.

Ginny smiled at him. "We have. And he says he has something special planned for my Christmas present..."

"Very special," Neville interjected with a grin.

Ron made a retching sound. "I'm trying to eat. No googly eyes."

"Oh like you and Luna aren't the same way?" Ginny retorted with a grin.

"We're in love," Ron said grinning back at her.

Luna blushed.

Ron looked at his girlfriend and suddenly everything seemed to fall into place. He would be much happier if he could work alongside her and see her every day. His heart really wasn't in his training no matter how he tried to look at it. With a heavy heart, he began to stand up.

But, his father beat him to the punch. Arthur stood at the head of the table. "I'm so glad that all of my family is here tonight on this special occasion."

"For Mum's cake," George said, making everyone laugh.

"Here, Here!" Fred exclaimed, raising his glass.

"We very rarely get serious here," Arthur continued. "But tonight, I want to recognise someone who doesn't always get the credit he deserves."

Molly beamed proudly at her youngest son.

"Me?" Ron asked taken aback.

"Him?" Fred echoed.

Arthur nodded. "Ronald, you have had to compete for attention in our family for a long time. We've never told you how proud we are of you. I look at you and think my son...he's going to be this great Auror."

Ron cast a look at Luna, who was just as surprised by the Weasleys' announcement as he was.

Molly stood beside her husband. "We love you, Ronald. And I cannot wait to see you finish your training. You've worked really hard to get where you are and words cannot express how proud we are."

Ron gaped at his parents.

"Wait just one moment," Fred said shaking his head. "When did this become the Ron Appreciation Hour?"

"Show your brother some respect," Molly said sternly.

Bill raised his glass. "Mum and Dad are right. You've done a great job, Ron."

"Uh, thanks," Ron mustered up a smile. "Thanks a lot."

"I don't think I've ever seen him so speechless," Charlie whispered to Lavender as Molly engulfed her youngest son in a bear hug.

"Unless he's eating," Lavender whispered back.

Luna beamed at Ron. "Ronald would be great at whatever he decided to do."

Molly nodded and wiped at her eyes. "And what he's going to be is a great Auror."

"Right," Ron nodded. "The best Auror there is."

"To Ron," Ginny said raising her glass.

"You don't have to do that," Ron protested.

"Nonsense," Arthur said, raising his glass as well. "To Ron."

"To Ronald," Luna echoed softly.

"You lot sure know how to surprise a bloke," Ron said his cheeks reddening at his family's praise. "Thank you. I really don't know what else to say."

"You're doing a great job in training," Lavender said. "Better than me, at any rate."

"I don't know about that," Ron said shaking his head.

"You are," Lavender insisted.

Ron wanted to tell her that she more than likely wanted it more than he did.

Luna pushed her slice of cake over to him. "Help me finish this."

Ron shook his head. "I'm not hungry..."

"We'll work this out," Luna whispered.

Ron nodded, but he didn't see how.

"I saw Seamus Finnegan in Diagon Alley yesterday," Ginny said to Lavender.

"Oh?" Lavender asked. "I haven't seen him since Hogwarts."

"You dated him for a year," Ginny said tracing the top of her mug with her finger. "And before that there was Ron...and then...."

"Everyone has exes," Charlie interjected. "Big deal, Ginny."

Lavender blushed. "Things didn't end that great between Seamus and me."

"What's that?" Molly asked.

"He just didn't think I could be an Auror," Lavender explained.

"He was an idiot," Charlie said. "For letting you go and not believing in you."

"I'm just glad you do," Lavender said.

"Of course," Charlie said leaning forward and giving her a kiss.

Ginny rolled her eyes again.

"Ernest, how about you and I go and see what new artefacts I've uncovered?" Arthur asked. "You will not believe what Fred and George found for me."

"That sounds great, Arthur," Ernest said.

The twins decided to join them and Bill and Fleur excused themselves to put their youngest daughter to bed.

Luna offered to help Molly with the cleaning.

"I've got it dear," Molly waved her on.

"Are you sure?" Luna asked.

"Quite sure," Molly said. "You go spend time with Ronald and the other kids."

Luna gave her a hug. "Thank you for inviting Daddy and me tonight. We really enjoyed it."

"You are always welcome here," Molly told her. "I see why Ronald loves you so much. You're a lovely, lovely young woman."

Luna beamed at her. "Thank you, Mrs. Weasley."

"Call me Molly," the older woman admonished.

"Happy Christmas, Molly," Luna said.

"Go have fun," Molly told her again. "And avoid the mistletoe."

Luna walked into the sitting room and settled down on one of the sofas with Ron.

"Luna, you look really pretty tonight," Lavender told her. "You have the prettiest hair."

"Thank you," Luna said, leaning against her boyfriend.

Charlie looked at his brother. "I thought Harry was going to be here."

Ron shook his head. "He had... other plans."

"I'm sure Mum wasn't too happy about that," Charlie commented.

"She made me promise to have him over for dinner soon," Ron answered.

"Maybe he's with his mystery woman," Ginny said giggling. The media was still buzzing about the mystery woman's identity.

"Yeah maybe," Ron said uneasily. He shared a look with Lavender.

Ginny caught this and wondered what was going on with Ron and his ex-girlfriend. Truth be told, she had never understood how Charlie would ever go for someone as shallow and superficial as Lavender Brown. It also didn't make sense why Lavender would fall for Charlie, a dragon handler who was seven years older than her. But, what would make sense was for Lavender to use Charlie to make Ron jealous.

Ginny wasn't about to stand for that. She and Charlie were very close and she wasn't about to let some hussy use him.

"So what's this big surprise you have for Gin?" Charlie asked Neville.

"That's for Ginny," Neville replied with a grin.

Ginny rested her head on Neville's shoulder. "Whatever it is, I'm sure that I'm going to love it."

"It better not be what I think it is," Ron cast Neville a warning look.

"What do you think it is?" Ginny asked him.

Ron just glared at Neville in response.

"Back off, Ronald," Luna told him gently.

Charlie looked at Lavender. "Want to go for a walk?"

"Sure," Lavender replied.

They got their cloaks and headed outside just as it started to snow.

"Thought you might need some fresh air," Charlie said smiling at her.

"And here I thought you just wanted to get me alone," Lavender said playfully.

"Well that was part of it," Charlie admitted. "I know my family can be a bit overwhelming, but their hearts are in the right place."

"I've been having a great time," Lavender assured him.

"I'm glad," Charlie said putting his arms around her.

Lavender leaned against him. "I love you."

"I love you too," Charlie said softly.

"I can't wait for the next few days," she said. They planned to drive just south of London and check out a few bed and breakfasts along the way.

"Me too," Charlie said. "No work. No problems. Just you and me."

"Exactly," Lavender kissed him.

"So, you really think your parents liked me?" Charlie asked her when they pulled apart.

"Well my dad didn't sit in silence," Lavender pointed out. "It means he wanted to get to know you."

Charlie grinned. "That's good because I plan on seeing a lot of his daughter in the future."

"His daughter plans on seeing loads of you," Lavender said dreamily.

"CHARLIE!" Ginny's voice rang out in the distance.

Charlie groaned. "What does she want?"

"We'd better go see," Lavender said taking his hand.

Charlie sighed and made a mental note to kill his sister.

Ginny was waiting for them at the door. "Daddy has something he wanted to show you in the shed."

"What is it?" Charlie asked.

"That hair dryer that Angelina gave him," Ginny said with a grin. "He's fascinated by it."

"Come on Lav," Charlie said. "You can show Dad how to work that thing."

"I was kind of hoping to have a moment with Lavender," Ginny said. "We can join you in a moment."

"All right," Charlie gave his girlfriend a quick kiss.

Lavender smiled at Ginny. "You really do have a lovely home, Ginny. It's so warm and welcoming."

"Thanks," Ginny crossed her arms.

"What did you want to talk about?" Lavender asked. "I promise that Neville hasn't told me about what he has planned for your Christmas present..."

"Why are you dating Charlie?" Ginny asked bluntly.

Lavender was taken aback at her question. "Um...well, we hit it off when we met. I like him very much and we have fun together."

Ginny was unconvinced.

Lavender raised an eyebrow. "Ginny, have I done something to offend you?"

"I don't want Charlie getting hurt," Ginny snapped.

"Neither do I," Lavender said quietly.

"Then you should break things off before you break his heart," Ginny said, glaring at her. "I know what you were like in school. I saw how many blokes you were with."

"I beg your pardon?" Lavender asked. "How many blokes I was with?"

"Enough of them," Ginny returned coolly.

"Well how about you?" Lavender countered. "At least I never had to use a love potion on someone."

"A love potion?" Ginny retorted. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Or how you threw poor Dean Thomas over because Harry finally showed interest in you," Lavender continued.

"I never did that!" Ginny denied hotly.

"Oh, please!" Lavender said sarcastically. "You followed Harry around like a puppy from the moment you stepped foot in Hogwarts. The second he paid any attention to you, you dropped Dean and broke his heart. I've never been that cold, Ginny."

Lavender didn't want one of the other Weasleys to hear this conversation, but she couldn't stay quiet while Ginny raked her over the coals. Lavender had honestly thought that the younger girl had changed because of her involvement with Neville.

Ginny stepped forward and for a moment Lavender thought the redhead was going to slap her.

"Ron is very happy with Luna," Ginny said with a warning tone in her voice. "Luna's my best friend and Charlie's my brother. If you think you can use Charlie to make Ron jealous..."

Lavender laughed. "Honestly... you think I'm still interested in Ron? How daft are you?"

"You and Charlie have nothing in common," Ginny argued.

"How would you know?" Lavender asked. "You hardly know me."

Ginny looked at her. "I know my brother and he's very important to me."

"And he's important to me too," Lavender said. "I love him."

"Ron said you'd changed a lot since Parvati's death," Ginny commented.

"We all changed," Lavender replied.

Ginny was silent for a few moments.

"You really love Charlie?" Ginny asked finally.

"Yes," Lavender said with an edge to her voice. "I do."

Ginny nodded. "I'm sorry that I doubted that."

Lavender relaxed. "Thanks..."

"I haven't seen him this happy in quite some time," Ginny said.

"He's made me quite happy too," Lavender glanced over to the shed.

"We should probably go and check on them," Ginny said. "My dad gets a little enthusiastic about these things. He might have the boys in there the whole night unless we rescue them."

Lavender nodded, although she still wasn't exactly sure of Ginny's intentions.

Ginny wasn't so sure she believed the older girl, but she'd let it go for now. But, she'd keep her eye on things to make sure that Lavender wasn't trying to worm her way back into Ron's good graces.

Lavender broke back out into a smile when Charlie emerged from the shed.

"You missed quite a show," Charlie told her.

"I did?" Lavender asked, winding her arms around him.

"Oh yes," Charlie said. "Dad was blow drying Mr. Lovegood's hair. It was quite a sight."

Lavender giggled. "I'm sorry I missed it."

"How are my two favourite girls?" Charlie asked looking at his sister. "Singing my praises?"

"Always," Ginny said sweetly.

Ginny excused herself to catch up to Neville.

"I found out what Neville's giving her," Charlie told his girlfriend.

"What?" Lavender asked curiously.

"Promise ring," Charlie replied. "Apparently, he thinks he's going to marry her someday."

"That's sweet," Lavender replied. "Why wouldn't they get married someday?"

Charlie laughed. "If he can make it through the questions we're going to put him through. He has to go through all of Ginny's big brothers."

"You'll be nice to him," Lavender chided. "He cares about Ginny very much."

"I know," Charlie said. "We just want to give him a hard time."

Lavender looked outside to see Ginny and Neville standing just outside the shed.

"Why did everyone stop talking the moment I stepped in there?" Ginny asked her boyfriend.

"I'm not sure," Neville shoved his hands in his pockets.

"Uh-huh," Ginny said grinning at him.

"Well... how about we go for a walk?" Neville asked. "It's time I give you your surprise anyway."

They walked away leaving Lavender and Charlie alone again.

"Let's go and sit in front of the fire," Charlie said softly.

"Sounds good to me," Lavender said, leaning against him.

Charlie led her into the sitting room. "So you and Ginny had a nice talk?"

Lavender shrugged. "It was all right..."

"What happened?" Charlie asked.

"She..." Lavender bit her lower lip, not wanting to cause an argument. "She just sort of thought I was using you to make Ron jealous," she confessed quietly.

Charlie stared at her for a moment before breaking out into laughter.

"What's so funny?" Lavender asked.

"My sister even considering that," Charlie explained.

"Well it's totally untrue," Lavender said.

"I know that," Charlie said. "I know you love me."

She smiled. "Yes I do."

"I'll have a talk with my sister," Charlie vowed.

"Don't," Lavender said. "She'll just get angry at me."

"She wasn't mean to you earlier, was she?" Charlie asked.

Lavender shook her head. "It's fine... she'll see in time that I want you, not Ron."

Charlie leaned in and kissed her. "I love you, Lavender Brown."

Lavender put her arms around his neck. "I love you too," she said, kissing him again.

"We're going to have a nice holiday," Charlie said as she snuggled up close to him.

"Especially once we get on the road," Lavender replied meaningfully.

"I can't wait," Charlie said winking at her.

"I've been looking forward to it for weeks," she said, running her hand over his chest.

"You realise we might not get to see a lot of the outside?" Charlie asked with a shrug.

"Ask me if I care," Lavender answered.

Charlie laughed. "Yet another reason why I love you so much."

She leaned in and kissed him again, pulling at his lower lip.

Charlie wished they were alone and he could do what he really wanted to. But, his parents were just in the other room and Fred and George were probably lurking somewhere ready to play a prank.

"Think we can duck out soon?" she asked, only half joking.

"Probably not," Charlie answered reluctantly.

"It's okay," she said. "I know you haven't seen your family in awhile and want to spend time with them.

Charlie nodded. "My mother would probably disown me if I didn't."

"I understand," Lavender pushed his hair back. "I'm just glad we have this time together."

"Me too," Charlie whispered.