Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

Drama ensues this chapter. We hope you enjoy it. And RIP to Heath Ledger :(

Hermione bid a goodbye to her room mate and headed for the cafeteria, where she was meeting up with Padma. She was really looking forward to hearing about the House Elf rights that evening and wanted to be early so they could sit right up front by the speaker.

She was eager to have something else to think about other than Harry and the fact that she'd never felt more apart from him than she did at that moment. Why couldn't he talk to her?

He hadn't attempted to find her that afternoon and she had briefly entertained the idea of going to his office, but soon dismissed it. He could apologise to her.

She met Padma at the entrance to the cafeteria.

"I'm not late, am I?" Hermione asked when she caught the other girl looking at her watch.

"No," Padma replied. "In fact, I'm glad you're early. I got a note from the speaker asking us to meet him early. He heard how interested we are in helping House Elves."

Hermione grinned. "Really? Padma!"

Padma grinned back at her. "So let's go, Granger!"

Hermione laughed. "Okay! You know, I really needed this after the day I had."

"Bad?" Padma asked.

"Horrid," Hermione told her.

"What happened?" she inquired.

Hermione knew she couldn't tell Padma about this. Even though they were becoming friends, the less Padma knew about this the better. No one else needed to find out her secret.

"It was just a long, long day," Hermione said instead.

"I've had those," Padma nodded. "Too often."

"So where are we meeting him?" Hermione asked, changing the subject.

"In one of the rooms here," Padma consulted the note.

"I cannot wait to pick his brain," Hermione told her.

Padma laughed. "You know, I never really thought much about this sort of thing until I met you. It's much more important than anyone thinks."

"It really is," Hermione agreed. "Everyone rolled their eyes at me when I tried to start something at Beauxbatons."

"I'm sure it would have been the same way for me at Hogwarts," Padma commented, pushing open the door to one of the presentation rooms.

"I guess we're early," Hermione said when they stepped into the empty room.

Padma frowned. "Strange... this note says he would already be here..."

"He's probably running late," Hermione said taking a seat.

"I suppose," Padma sat next to her.

"I can't thank you enough for getting me in to see the lecture," Hermione told her. "You're a really great friend, Padma."

"You've become a good friend to me too," Padma said sincerely.

Hermione smiled at her. "So how have things been going for you?"

"Good, but busy," Padma nodded. "Just yesterday--"

The door opened and both girls turned around.

"Macmillan?" Hermione asked taken aback. "What on earth are you doing here?"

Ernie smiled nastily. "What I should have done months ago."

Padma glared at him. "Ernie---go away!"

Ernie extended his wand. "I'd watch what I said if I were you."

Padma rolled her eyes. "Ernie--"

"Ernie, what are you even doing here?" Hermione asked. "You were thrown out of the program!"

"It's YOU who should be thrown out," Ernie said angrily.

Padma stood in between Ernie and Hermione. "Leave it, Ernie. Hermione hasn't done anything wrong."

Ernie sneered at her. "That's not what you were saying just a few weeks ago. She was a part of your plan to get Potter back for what he's done to you!"

"LEAVE IT, ERNIE!" Padma told him angrily.

"What's he talking about, Padma?" Hermione asked from behind her.

"Nothing," Padma said through clenched teeth. "Nothing at all--"

"She's lying, Granger," Ernie said, his wand still trained on the two of them. "Padma and I were partners."

"Partners?" Hermione looked between them. "For... what?"

"Revenge," Ernie told her. "Pure revenge. She hates Potter just as much as I do. He took away the most important person in the world from us."

"Us?" Padma asked. "US? Parvati hardly even KNEW you!"

Hermione was trying to reach into her pocket for her own wand while Ernie was preoccupied.

"Ah, Granger." Ernie said. "Don't think you're so stealthy..."

Hermione watched in horror as her wand flew out of her pocket and into Ernie's hands.

"Wandless magic," Ernie said with a grin. "Got to thank Potter for that one."

"What are you trying to get at, Ernie?" Padma asked impatiently.

"What I'm getting at, Padma," Ernie replied in an eerily calm voice. "Is that Potter took Parvati from me. I'm going to take Granger from him. It's only fair."

"From him?" Hermione asked, stepping back. "Ernie--"

Ernie laughed. "There's no need to cover with me, Granger. I know all about you and him. Every single, sordid detail."

Padma looked at him. "Look, Ernie. There's no harm done. Just let Hermione and me go."

"I don't think so," Ernie trained his wand on her again.

"Padma's right," Hermione said. "Just let us go. We promise not to tell anyone---"

Ernie turned and stunned her. Hermione's body slumped against a chair before sliding to the floor.

"Ernie!" Padma screamed. "What did you just do?"

"What you should be helping me do," Ernie pointed his wand at her.

"I never signed up for this!" Padma exclaimed. "Ernie, you've lost your mind. Parvati barely knew you. You weren't involved."

"You have NO idea how I felt about her," Ernie hissed.

"Enlighten me," Padma said sarcastically.

Ernie shot her with the same spell he'd hit Hermione with.

Ernie grinned when he saw her slump to the floor. This couldn't have gone better. He might be going down, but he wasn't going down alone. He only wished he'd be here to see the look on Potter's face when he found his precious Hermione missing.

Working quickly, he used a shielding spell so no one would be able to see them and he could get them out of the building.

Just downstairs in his office, Harry was grading essays while he waited for that lecture to finish. He was hesitant to approach Hermione, but Ron was right. If he didn't make an effort, he was going to lose her.

It had been a long, stressful today and all he wanted to do was see Hermione. He knew explaining things wasn't going to be easy, but he loved her. He had to make sure she knew that.

The lecture was supposed to be an hour long and Harry knew that Lupin had planned to attend. He would wait until he saw Lupin return to his office and then he would head downstairs to catch up to Hermione.

Opening his office door a crack, he was able to view Lupin's door from a vantage point.

Over the years, he'd gotten used to dealing with things that bothered him on his own.

Harry checked his watch again. Another fifteen minutes or so before the lecture was over. He sighed, stuffing the remainder of the papers into his case.

Perhaps he'd sneak her out of here and they could go back to his place to talk.

A few minutes later, Harry saw Lupin unlock the door to his office. Obviously, he didn't expect Harry to be sitting there, as Tonks slipped in behind him.

"Remus?" Harry called out.

He watched Lupin freeze.

"Wotcher, Harry!" Tonks called out.

Remus shot her a look.

"What?" Tonks asked innocently. "He saw me come in here."

"How'd the lecture go?" Harry asked innocently.

"Very informative," Remus replied. "Tonks even managed to stay awake."

"I owed him since he went to the concert with me," Tonks said with a grin.

Harry half smiled. "A few of my students planned to go."

"Really?" Remus asked. "I didn't see anyone from our classes there."

"Really?" Harry asked. "Hermione... Granger, she's pretty into that stuff."

"I don't recall seeing her there," Remus commented. "Did you, Nymphadora?"

Tonks shook her head. "I was surprised not to see her there, actually. She told me she was coming with Padma Patil."

"Was Padma there?" Harry asked trying to keep his tone neutral.

"I didn't see her either," Lupin replied.

"Oh," Harry said quietly.

"You look worried," Lupin said.

Harry shook his head. "No. I just thought I heard them say there were going is all."

"You seem very distracted today," Lupin commented. "Are you sure everything is all right?"

"Remus is right," Tonks said. "You do, Harry."

Harry wanted to tell Lupin and Tonks about Hermione. He had a feeling Lupin would understand where he was coming from. But he also knew the older man would be put in a very difficult position so he only shook his head. "I'm fine."

"You're probably distracted about Ron," Tonks said. She'd seen the two of them deep in conversation at the cafeteria during dinner. "I heard he was leaving the program."

Harry nodded. "That came as a bit of a shock," he admitted. "But Ron needs to do what's right for him."

Remus looked at Harry. "You know if there's anything bothering you, you can talk to me."

"I know," Harry said quietly.

Remus looked as if he wanted to say something else, but he decided to let it pass. "Well, you have a good night, Harry."

"You too," Harry gave them both a meaningful look before turning to leave.

He decided to go upstairs to the dorms to check on Hermione.

He slipped upstairs and knocked on Hermione and Lavender's door.

A few moments later, Lavender answered and looked surprised to see him there. "What are you doing here?"

"I was hoping to see Hermione," Harry said.

"She's at a lecture downstairs," Lavender replied.

"Lupin and Tonks were there," Harry said. "And they told me she never showed up."

Lavender stood back so he could enter the room. She closed the door behind him. "That doesn't sound right. Maybe it was so crowded they didn't see her?"

"They didn't see her OR Padma," Harry answered.

Lavender frowned. "But, Hermione left here a little earlier so they could get a good seat. This doesn't make sense, Harry. She was really looking forward to it."

Harry's eyebrows creased together. "I'm going to go look for her."

"I'll go and see if anyone else has seen her," Lavender said grabbing her robe.

"Thanks," Harry took off down the corridor.

She had to be okay. He tried not to think the worst, but given all that he'd seen in his life, it wasn't hard to see why he'd immediately go there.

He headed down where the lecture was taking place. Seeing there were still some people in the room, he tried to relax.

There were a few familiar faces in that room and Harry approached a red-haired girl. "Susan?"

"Harry!" Susan Bones exclaimed. "How are you?"

"Fine," Harry said giving her a slight smile. "I take it you were here for the lecture?"

Susan nodded. "It's a bigger turnout than expected."

"Did you happen to see Padma Patil here?" Harry asked.

The redhead thought for a moment. "No... no I didn't."

"Damn," Harry muttered under his breath. "Um...what about a girl about this tall?" Harry asked holding his hand up to his chest. "Brown, bushy hair?"

Susan shrugged. "I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing anyone like that."

Harry frowned. This didn't look good. "Look, if you do see her or Padma will you please let them know I'm looking for them?"

"Sure," Susan agreed.

Harry hurried out of the room. He knew it was a long shot, but he decided to try the library.

A half hour later, he was growing worried. There was no sign of Hermione OR Padma.

Lavender hadn't had any luck either. She bit her bottom lip as she studied Harry. "We should notify Lupin."

Harry nodded tersely. "I just have this bad feeling," he said.

Lavender couldn't help feeling a sense of deja vu. This was too much like what had happened with Parvati. She could still remember waking up to find her best friend's bed was empty.

"I'll go tell Lupin," Harry was saying. "You go get the rest of our class. We need to get a search going."

Lavender nodded. "Right."

Without another word, Harry headed back for the offices.

In a Muggle hotel room, Hermione was just coming to.

"What's going on?" she asked blearily.

There was no answer and she shakily sat up trying to get her bearings.

"Ernie?" she cleared her throat. "Padma?"

"Shut up," Ernie grumbled.

Hermione struggled to keep her eyes open. "What did you do?"

"Not me," Ernie said leaning back in his chair. "We. Padma and me."

Hermione looked at the girl lying next to her. "She's--"

"Alive," Ernie interjected. "She should wake up soon."

"What is going on?" Hermione asked, becoming more alert.

"I don't know yet," Ernie said impatiently.

"I'm leaving," Hermione tried to get up.

Ernie laughed. "Try. See how far you get."

"You're a bastard," she glared at him.

"That's where you're wrong!" Ernie shouted at her. "Your boyfriend's the bastard!"

"How would you know anything about me?" Hermione snapped.

"Mmmmm," Padma murmured from the floor.

"Padma," Hermione reached over and shook her.

"Hermione?" Padma asked looking up at her.

"You were in on this?" Hermione asked, her.

Padma grabbed the bag of her head as she struggled to sit. "Oh my head!"

"It'll go away," Ernie said coldly.

Hermione glared at Padma. "Were you in on this? Did you help him?":

"What?" Padma asked. "No--"

"Right," Hermione shot back. "I thought you were my friend!"

"I am," Padma said. "Hermione--"

Ernie grinned. "You can tell her the truth now, Padma. It's okay. Tell her all about how you dressed up like your sister and made Potter think he was seeing a ghost..."

"I didn't want to," Padma returned.

"Right," Ernie scoffed.

"I didn't!" Padma struggled to sit up.

Hermione looked at her as if it was the first time she'd really seen Padma. "He warned me about you. He said you weren't to be trusted. But, I didn't listen. I thought---I thought you were my friend."

"I am," Padma said softly. "Hermione.. Please. You have to believe me."

"Why should I believe anything you say?" Hermione asked her angrily.

"Because I'm not in league with him," Padma said, pushing herself up.

"Come off of it," Ernie said rolling his eyes. "You were into this just as much as I was."

"No I'm not!" Padma snapped. "You're the psycho that keeps confusing me with my sister!"

"You two deserve each other," Hermione said advancing on Ernie, but she hit what felt like a brick wall. This caused Ernie to cackle.

"Told you, Granger," Ernie said. "You can try all you want. You're not going anywhere."

"What did you do?" Hermione asked, hitting her fist against the barrier.

"Wards," Ernie replied gleefully. "Now, if you'll excuse me. I have to go and get a drink. You girls make yourselves at home."

"LET ME OUT!" Hermione screamed.

Ernie ignored her as he grabbed the room key card from the table and then exited the room.

Hermione trembled with rage as she called upon every spell she knew to try and get herself out.

Padma sat back against the wall. She put her head in her hands. She never should have gotten involved with Ernie.

Hermione glared at her. "Are you satisfied?"

Padma looked up at her with tears in her eyes. "Hermione. I swear. I didn't know he was going to do this."

"Sure," Hermione scoffed.

Padma sighed. "The truth is...I did team up with him at first. I wanted to get back at Harry. I--I blamed him for what happened to Parvati."

"He had nothing to do with it," Hermione shot back.

"She went after him," Padma said quietly. "I needed someone to blame, Hermione. She left because of him and since I couldn't blame V-Voldemort, I blamed him."

Hermione regarded her silently for a very long moment.

"If I was with him, do you think he would have me locked up in here with you?" Padma asked her. "Hermione---I changed my mind the moment you and I became friends."

"I don't know if I can trust you," Hermione looked away.

Padma felt tears welling up in her eyes. "I'm sorry..."

"Look, your reasoning for all this isn't important right now," Hermione said. "Getting out of here is."

"Right," Parvati said wiping at her eyes.

Hermione again tried to think of any spell that would break down this barrier. Of course, it didn't help that she didn't have her wand. And she also didn't have quite a grip on wandless magic yet- certainly not enough to do this on her own.

Padma was racking her brain for some way out of this. She couldn't believe she'd ever thought about teaming up with Ernie Macmillan. Her first instinct had been to walk away from him. If only she had, they wouldn't be here right now.

"He---he's obsessed with my sister," Padma said suddenly.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"Ernie," Padma said her eyes suddenly bright. "He fancied Parvati when we were at school. That's part of why he hates Harry so much. Parvati chose Harry. When he and I were alone, he would call me by her name."

"What a creep," Hermione shivered.

"What if I convince him that I'm on his side?" Padma suggested. She pulled out the twist that was tying back her hair. "Parvati always wore her hair down."

Hermione gave her a doubtful glance. "Do you really think that would work?"

"It's worth a shot," Padma said. "It's the only plan we have."

Hermione sighed. "I guess you're right."

"I know I haven't given you reason to trust me," Padma said. "But I promise that I'm going to do whatever I can to get us out of here."

Hermione sat on the bed. "Let's hope it works."

"It will," Padma said quietly. "It has to."

Hermione sank back against the pillow. She wondered if Harry knew she was missing yet.

"That's a pretty ring," Padma said referring to the necklace around Hermione's neck. "Did he give that to you then?"

"What?" Hermione asked.

"The ring," Padma said.

"It's... just a ring," Hermione lied.

"I know," Padma told her. "I know about you and Harry."

Hermione paled but said nothing.

"I haven't told anyone," Padma said sitting down on the edge of the bed. "I promise."

"How did you find out?" Hermione asked quietly.

"I've seen the two of you together," Padma replied. "When you thought no one was looking."

Hermione touched the ring. "I guess we weren't as good at hiding as we thought."

Padma shook her head. "Not really. You really love him, don't you?"

"Yes," Hermione said. "More than anyone."

"I promise not to say anything," Padma said. "I know you both could be in a lot of trouble if this got out."

Hermione shrugged. "I think people must know."

"I think I'm more observant than most people," Padma said. "Don't worry. I think your secret is safe."

"I hope so," Hermione said. "I don't want Harry to lose his job. He's a good teacher."

Padma certainly couldn't argue that. She remembered the days of the D.A. where he'd taught them all how to defend themselves.

"I can't stand sitting around like this," Hermione said impatiently.

"I wonder where he went," Padma said thoughtfully.

"He said he was getting a drink," Hermione replied. "But that shouldn't take this long."

"I wish he'd put that damn ward up on the side that has the window," Padma said shaking her head.

Hermione ran her hand along the invisible barrier. She closed her eyes and thought it might be worth a try to concentrate on trying to break it down.

Padma studied her. "What are you doing?"

"I want to try something Harry taught us," Hermione said.

Padma stood back. "Go right ahead, Miss Auror."

She recalled the lessons Harry taught them about wandless magic and how to block spells. She wished she had been quick enough to think of them when Ernie was snatching her wand away.

The door clicked open and Ernie rolled his eyes when he saw what Hermione was trying to do.

"Granger, Granger, Granger," Ernie said. "You do realise that I would have thought you'd try that?"

Hermione opened her eyes and glared at him. "Let us out of here."

"Not likely," Ernie said sitting his cup of coffee down on the table.

"Ernie," Padma said softening her tone in a pitch perfect imitation of her sister's voice.

He froze but didn't turn to look at her.

"Did you get peppermint in your coffee?" Padma asked softly. "That's how I always loved it."

Ernie bit his lower lip.

"I remember when you used to leave peppermint sticks on my books when I was in the library," Padma said. She didn't know it was Ernie who had done that, but Parvati had thought it was Harry.

"I knew how much you liked them," Ernie recalled. "They were your favourites."

"That was the sweetest thing," Padma said smiling sweetly at him.

Hermione stayed away from the little scene in front of her. She didn't want to interfere in case it helped them escape.

Ernie looked properly at her. "I nearly told you it was me so many times."

"You should have said something," Padma continued in her sister's voice.

"You were too busy with Potter," Ernie said coldly.

"I shouldn't have been," Padma curled a lock of hair around her finger.

"He didn't love you like I did," Ernie said mesmerized by what she was doing.

"Of course he didn't," Padma answered.

Ernie gave her a slight smile.

"Come on," Padma said coyly. "You don't want to keep us in this little room, do you?"

Hermione could see Ernie's resolve wavering.

"I know you don't really want to do this..." Padma continued.

"I had to, Parvati," Ernie said softly.

"But you could let us go," Padma touched his hand. "And we'll all just walk out of here."

Hermione's eyes grew large. Somehow, Padma had broken through the wards.

"Kiss me," Ernie said to her.

"Wha--what?" Padma asked.

"Kiss me," Ernie repeated. "It's all I ever wanted."

Padma cast a look back at Hermione.

"Now?" Padma asked.

"Yes," Ernie said. "Now."

"Only if you let Hermione go," Padma countered.

Ernie blinked. "What?"

"Let Hermione go," Padma said looking right at him. "I want to be alone with you. Just you and me."

Hermione shook her head. "No--"

Padma turned and looked pleadingly at her. "It's the only way," she mouthed to her friend.

Hermione bit her lower lip as Ernie glanced back at her.

"What are you two planning?" Ernie asked angrily.

"What are you talking about?" Padma asked, still in her sister's character.

"We're not planning anything," Hermione said glaring at Padma. "I hate her."

Padma looked shocked for a second.

Ernie looked at Padma. "I can't let her go. I have to get back at Potter for what he did to you, Parvati."

"Don't you think this will do it to him?" Padma asked softly. "Losing me all over again? Only this time... to you?"

Ernie looked as if he didn't know what to do.

Hermione fingered the ring around her neck. Did Harry even know she was gone? Did anyone know? And why was Padma doing this? Hermione couldn't leave her alone with Ernie. There was no telling what he would do.

"Just let her go," Padma said. "Then we can be alone."

"I could just get rid of her," Ernie said looking disdainfully at Hermione. "Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak."

"But you're not that kind of person," Padma felt her palms grow sweaty.

"Let me think," Ernie said putting his head in his hands.

"You're not a killer," Padma said softly. "You're kind and generous and a good person. Let her go and we can be together, Ernie."

Hermione began to inch for the door.

Padma knelt down in front of him. "Come on, Ernie. Do the right thing."

"Parvati..." he whispered.

"Yes," Padma said touching his cheek.

"I want... I want to do the right thing..." he said, looking down.

"Think about Justin and your family," Padma said softly. "They're so proud of you. You don't want to disappoint them. They care about you."

"And you?" he asked. Hermione could practically read the confusion in his eyes.

"Of course," Padma whispered.

Hermione still inched for the door when Ernie faced her suddenly.

He shot another stunning spell at her which caused her to be thrown back into the wall.

"Ernie!" Padma broke character. "Ernie what are you doing?"

Ernie directed his wand at Padma. "You didn't really think I was falling for that rubbish, did you, Padma?"

"I...." Padma was at a loss for words.

Ernie rolled his eyes. "You did? Please...you're not half the girl your sister was. I know a poor imitation when I see it."

Padma bit her lower lip. "Just don't hurt us, please."

Ernie glared at her. "Don't cross me again."

He pushed her onto one of the beds and Padma backed against the headboard.

"W-what are you going to do?" Padma stammered, looking frantically over to the other side of the room where Hermione was passed out cold.

Ernie sneered at her. "Don't worry about it."

Padma shook her head. "No---"

"You two have a nice night here," Ernie smirked. "Don't worry- you can't get out, no one can come in, and no one can hear you."

"You're a bastard," Padma spat at him. "You're not going to get away with this."

Ernie kicked at Hermione as he went to the other side of the room. "That's where you're wrong, Padma. I already have."

Padma looked on as he grabbed his cup of coffee and headed out of the room. The door clicked behind him.

She wasted no time in rushing over and trying to pull open the door, but it was locked.

"Mmmph," Hermione murmured.

"Hermione!" Padma dropped to her knees. "Be careful, he hit you pretty hard. Can you sit up?"

Hermione winced as she tried to do so. "My back---"

"Careful," Padma said. "Here... let's get you over to the bed."

Hermione held on to Padma's arm as the other girl led her over to the bed. "I feel like I was rugby tackled."

"You pretty much were," Padma said. "He stunned you."

"Did he do anything to you?" Hermione asked.

Padma shook her head.

"He's going to kill us," Hermione said quietly. Tears welled up in her eyes as she thought about never seeing Harry or her parents again.

"He wouldn't tell me what he was going to do," Padma said.

Hermione closed her eyes. There had to be a way out of here. There just had to be.

"We'll figure something out," Padma said. "We have to."