Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: This one is H/Hr lite, so to speak. But, we hope you enjoy it just the same. Happy Halloween and a Happy Birthday to my co-author, Heaven.

Eloise had never been more nervous in her life. Justin had officially asked her out on a date and Lavender was helping her get ready. They had sat together at every meal, and gone jogging together a few times, but he hadn't kissed her and she was hoping tonight would be the night.

"If there's a lull in the conversation," Lavender said. "You just ask him a question about himself. Blokes love to talk about themselves."

"Justin doesn't really seem like that though," Eloise objected.

"I know," Lavender said. "But I'm just saying in case there's an awkward pause in the conversation. Sometimes those things happen."

"Oh," Eloise replied. "Okay."

Lavender finished styling Eloise's hair. "You look gorgeous."

"Thank you," Eloise said sincerely. "I couldn't have done any of this without you."

"It's my pleasure," Lavender smiled at her.

"I hope he likes what he sees," Eloise smoothed her dress down.

"He will," Lavender said. "And whatever you do, don't order anything with garlic."

"Right," Eloise nodded.

"And above all," Lavender said. "Be yourself."

"I will," Eloise promised. "I should go meet him. I don't want to be late."

"You're going to be fine," Lavender said giving her a hug.

"Thank you for everything you've done for me," Eloise said. "And for being my friend."

Lavender smiled as her friend left the room. She just hoped that tonight would go well.

Justin was waiting for his date downstairs and unfortunately Ernie had decided to keep him company.

"Eloise?" Ernie asked Justin, rolling his eyes. "I'll admit she looked hot the night of the ball, but---"

"She's a nice girl," Justin answered. "We've gone jogging a few times together."

"Jogging," Ernie said sarcastically. "That's really ...romantic, mate."

"Why don't you tell me why you're all of a sudden Padma Patil's better half?" Justin countered. "Every time I see you, I see her."

Ernie shrugged. "We just have a lot in common..."

"Hatred toward Harry Potter?" Justin asked.

"Maybe," Ernie answered.

Justin shook his head. "You need to watch it, Ern."

"Whatever," Ernie snapped. "There comes Eloise."

Justin turned and smiled when he saw his date. She looked very pretty.

"Hi," Eloise said shyly.

"Are you ready?" Justin asked offering her his hand.

"Yes," she said, blushing as she took it.

Justin ignored the look on Ernie's face. "I made reservations for us at this Italian place."

"I love Italian," Eloise said.

"Let's go," Justin said. He looked over his shoulder at his friend. "Enjoy your day off, Ern."

"I plan to," Ernie said, not saying anything to Eloise.

Justin and Eloise walked out of the Ministry. It was quite cold and the forecast called for snow.

Eloise wished she knew what to say, but since she didn't want to utter anything stupid, stayed silent.

"Did you work on your essay for Lupin?" Justin asked trying to get her to talk. But, to his dismay, she only nodded in response. "Oh...well, I'm half way finished."

"I'm about finished," Eloise said.

He waited for her to elaborate, but she didn't. He couldn't quite understand why she was being so quiet. They talked quite a bit during classes and when they exercised together. "My topic is kind of boring. I'm writing about the use of disguise."

"Oh," Eloise replied. "Mine's on the use of the Concealment Charm."

Justin nodded. "That's a good topic."

"I've had lots to write about," Eloise said softly.

"I think Weasley's writing about food," Justin said with a laugh. "I don't know how it relates to being an Auror, but..."

Eloise smiled. "He's always eating."

Justin took her hand again and led her across the street. He held the door open for her when they reached the restaurant.

"Thank you," Eloise said. She wished she could think of something else, ANYTHING else, to say to him.

"Finch-Fletchley," Justin told the maitre'd. "We have a reservation."

"Right this way, sir." the maitre'd said after checking the book in front of him.

Justin allowed Eloise to go ahead of him and he couldn't resist taking a look at her legs.

She was a bit taller than he recalled her being, but that was probably due to the heels she had on.

Eloise stumbled just a bit and she felt her entire face go red.

"You okay?" Justin asked.

"Fine," she said quickly, wishing the floor would open up and swallow her.

Justin waited for the maitre'd to seat Eloise before he too sat down. The restaurant was very elegant and he hoped that it pleased her.

Eloise stumbled again as she tried to sit in the chair.

"I'm sorry, miss," the maitre'd apologised.

"Its okay," Eloise murmured, feeling more and more like the fool. After tonight, Justin would never want to take her anywhere again.

Justin took his menu and looked over the selection. "What do you think you'll have?"

"Pasta?" Eloise asked.

Justin raised an eyebrow. "Well, yes...this is an Italian restaurant, Eloise."

Eloise turned bright red and looked down at her menu. "Um... I guess I'm just not sure yet."

"Don't order anything with garlic," Eloise heard Lavender's voice in her head. She looked at the entrees on the menu and everything seemed to have garlic. She felt very much like she was taking an exam she was ill-prepared for.

"I think manicotti sounds good," Justin replied. "Have you decided yet?"

Eloise shook her head. "Um... no."

Justin nodded. "Would you like some wine?"

Eloise looked at the menu and said the first thing that came to mind. "Yes, marinara." When she looked up and met Justin's eyes she felt like running. He was looking at her like she'd said the wrong thing yet again. "Uh---"

"Merlot?" he raised an eyebrow.

"Who?" Eloise asked.

"Merlot... it's a red wine..." Justin wondered if she was feeling okay.

"Oh," Eloise said blushing. "Sure. That sounds lovely."

Justin smiled. "Good. They have a great house merlot here."

Their waitress came over to take their orders and Eloise panicked. She still hadn't chosen an entree.

"I'll have this," she pointed to something on the menu.

"Chicken Marsala?" The waitress asked, nodding. "Excellent choice, miss."

"Thank you," Eloise said in relief. She had finally done something right.

Justin ordered the wine and his choice of entree. The waitress took their menus and said she'd be right back with their salads.

"You're braver than me," Justin said to her. "Chicken Marsala has too much garlic for me."

The smile on her face fell. "It has garlic?"

"Loads of it," Justin replied.

She sighed and put her head in her hands.

"Are you okay?" Justin asked.

"No," she said mournfully.

"Are you feeling alright?" Justin asked reaching across the table and patting her arm. "Eloise?"

"I can't seem to do anything right," Eloise whispered.

Justin pulled a confused face. "What do you mean?"

"I can't think of anything to say," Eloise fought not to cry. "I order something loaded with garlic. I know what merlot is, but as soon as you asked me about it, everything just flew out of my head."

Justin moved his chair closer so he could be nearer to her. "Hey...it's okay. There's no need to be nervous."

Eloise shrugged miserably.

"Is this your first date?" Justin asked gently.

"Is it that obvious?" Eloise asked.

"Just a little," Justin said smiling at her. "But you know what; you don't have problems talking to me when we go for our morning runs. And we always have fun in the cafeteria during our breaks, right?"

She managed a smile. "Yeah, we do."

"So, you could just think of this as just another time in the cafeteria," Justin suggested.

"I'll try," she said softly.

"So just pretend we're sitting at our usual table in the cafeteria," Justin said. "And Ron's at the next table stuffing his face with pumpkin pasties. Lavender's sitting across from us doodling in her notebook about Charlie...."

Eloise laughed. "He's all she talks about."

"See?" Justin asked. "You're already feeling better."

She smiled at him. "Thanks Justin."

"Thank you," Justin said leaning over and pecking her on the cheek.

Eloise blushed a brilliant shade of red at this.

"So we can start over?" Justin asked.

Eloise nodded, her stomach flipping madly.

Justin grinned. "My first date happened when I was 16. I took her to Madam Puddifoots and proceeded to bore her to death with talk about me and my plans to be Head Boy. And I accidentally spilt my tea all over her."

"Who was it?" Eloise asked.

"Hannah Abbott," Justin said.

"I used to talk to her once in awhile," Eloise said.

"She's a sweet girl," Justin said. "And very forgiving."

"You're very forgiving too," Eloise said as the wine was brought out.

"It's easy to forgive when you fancy someone like I fancy you," Justin said boldly.

Eloise felt her heart stop. "You fancy me?" she whispered.

Justin smiled at her. "I would think that would be obvious."

She swallowed. "I just... I never thought someone like you would fancy someone like me."

"Someone like you?" Justin asked. "Eloise, you deserve far better than me."

"No I don't," Eloise said as he drew closer. "I... fancied you for a long, long time now."

"And I was a complete idiot for not realising sooner what a great girl you were," Justin said leaning in.

Eloise could hardly breathe as he brushed his lips over hers.

"Thought I'd best do that before you ate all that garlic," Justin teased.

She let out a laugh, but it wasn't the nervous giggle. "That was my first kiss," she admitted.

Justin grinned. "So no matter what happens...you'll always remember me."

"Oh I think that's a definite possibility," Eloise said softly.

He squeezed her hand. "So, we're okay now?"

Eloise nodded, feeling much less nervous now.

The rest of the evening went by brilliantly with no lulls in the conversation. Eloise forgot about her earlier stumbles and mistakes and just enjoyed herself.

They were laughing as they headed back to the Ministry. Justin was glad she'd loosened up and he'd had a really great time. "So... maybe we can do this again next week," he said.

"I'd love that," Eloise replied with a grin.

"And during the week," he squeezed her hand. "I hope we can see each other as much as possible."

"I'd really love that," Eloise said feeling a little bold as she leaned in.

Justin touched her cheek before pressing his lips to hers.

"Good night," Eloise said dreamily when they pulled apart a few moments later.

"Night," Justin smiled at her. "I really did have a great time."

He was still smiling when he walked toward his room. He heard the muffled sound of voices and he wondered who Ernie was talking to. That was revealed when he opened the door to find Padma Patil sitting close with Ernie looking at some papers.

"What are you two doing?" he asked curiously.

"Just talking," Ernie replied.

"Is that a newspaper?" Justin asked.

"Yes," Padma said quickly folding it. It was the issue of the Prophet that featured Harry Potter's mystery woman.

"Have fun with Midgen?" Ernie asked. "Couldn't be that great if you're back already."

"It was great," Justin retorted. "We just didn't want to miss curfew."

"Anything but that," Ernie snorted.

Justin shook his head. "I'm going to go take a shower. You...you lot have fun." Padma waited until she and Ernie were alone before she took out the paper again and the photograph of Hermione they'd taken earlier that day.

"I know we can't see her too closely," Padma said. "But what do you think?"

Justin looked at the newspaper photograph. "That girl has brown hair and so does Granger."

"That doesn't really mean anything," Padma said. "We need something more concrete."

"I have a connection in security downstairs," Ernie said. "The guard said he saw her leave in the evening and she was dressed for a night on the town."

"See if he overheard anything then," Padma replied.

"He already told me he didn't," Ernie said leaning back on his bed. "This is frustrating, Padma. I know they're together."

"He doesn't' deserve anyone else," Padma said angrily.

"At least you're not in his training group," Ernie pointed out.

"I'd have quit before I let that happen," Padma stuffed the paper and photograph back into her bag.

"I reckon she's sneaking out of here to see him at night," Ernie said thoughtfully.

"See how tired she is during classes then," Padma said. "And listen and watch how she is with Potter."

"I've already seen them sneaking looks at each other," Ernie said. "But that's not anything to go on. We have to catch them in the act so to speak."

"No kidding," Padma said. "And then he's gone."

"And we'll have revenge," Ernie said. "For all that he took away."

"Everything," Padma nodded.

Padma felt a niggling feeling that getting revenge on Harry wasn't going to be all that she thought it would be. It wouldn't bring back Parvati.

"I'll keep you posted on what I find out," Ernie stood up.

"Thanks," Padma said gathering her papers. "I'll do the same."

"See you around," Ernie replied, making sure no one was around before Padma slipped out.

Padma headed toward the lift and when the doors opened, she saw Hermione Granger of all people.

Hermione bit her lower lip when she saw the dark haired girl. "Hello," she said, forcing a smile.

"You just made it," Padma said quietly. "Curfew."

"Cutting it close," Hermione nodded. "Um... you're Padma, right?"

Padma stood back so Hermione could step out. "Yes and you're Hermione Granger."

Hermione was surprised that the other girl knew her. "Right."

"How do you like the training?" Padma asked trying to be cordial.

"It's been good," Hermione answered. "Mr. Potter's working us hard."

"I'm sure he is," Padma said trying not to sound bitter. "You...you went to school in Paris, right?"

"Beauxbatons," Hermione nodded. "It was a good school."

"Do you ever get a chance to go back to Paris?" Padma asked. "It's such a romantic city."

Hermione fought not to blush. "I haven't been back there in awhile," she lied.

"Oh, that's a shame," Padma commented. "You really should go."

"Well it was really nice meeting you," Hermione was eager to escape Padma's piercing gaze.

"I'd really like it if we could be friends," Padma said offering her a slight smile.

"Um... sure." Hermione answered. "I only have a few days a week that I'm free, but..."

"We could have lunch," Padma interjected. "You know I imagine if you'd been at Hogwarts, you'd have been in Ravenclaw with me."

"Lavender seems pretty sure I'd have been in Gryffindor with them," Hermione let out a small laugh.

"Like Harry, you mean?" Padma asked, unable to mask the bitterness in her voice.

"Perhaps," Hermione answered uncomfortably.

"Well, I shouldn't keep you any longer," Padma said. "Good night."

"Bye," Hermione had to control herself so she wouldn't run away. Something about Padma made her extremely nervous.

"You look like you just saw a ghost," Lavender commented when her roommate walked in their room.

"Padma stopped me as I was coming off the lift," Hermione told her. "She was asking me questions about training; about Paris... she wants us to have lunch together."

"Padma?" Lavender asked raising an eyebrow. "Padma Patil?"

Hermione nodded. "I was just as shocked as you are."

"Well, you and Padma are both kind of studious," Lavender commented. "Well, really studious."

"Do you think she saw me and Harry though?" Hermione asked.

"She was with Ernie at dinner," Lavender told her. "And you and Harry were just in his office, right? How would she have seen you?"

"I don't know," Hermione shook her head as she kicked off her shoes.

"You're paranoid," Lavender said. "Maybe Padma's just trying to be nice. Like I said, you are kind of alike."

"Maybe," Hermione shrugged. "I'll just have to be careful what I say."

Hermione sat down on her bed. "Did you finish your essay?"

Lavender shook her head. "No, I was writing to Charlie."

She smiled. "Are you sending him those new pictures you took?"

Lavender nodded. "Yes."

"I'm sure he'll love them," Hermione commented.

"When are you two seeing each other again?"

"Christmas," Lavender said. "I've been invited to the Burrow."

"How lovely," Hermione lay back with her head on her pillow.

"And how was your evening?" Lavender asked grinning at her.

"I think you can guess," Hermione said with a smile.

Lavender giggled. "Uh-huh."

"We're trying to decide on a place to go for Christmas hols," Hermione said softly. "Somewhere low key."

"Do you have any place in mind?" Lavender asked.

"Originally we talked about going back to Paris," Hermione said. "But after that picture in the paper..."

"You should go somewhere tropical and secluded," Lavender said.

"It would be nice to go somewhere warm," Hermione nodded. "Perhaps Phuket."

"I doubt the Prophet would know you were there," Lavender said thoughtfully.

"I'll tell him about it tomorrow," Hermione said.

Lavender sighed. "I have to work on that stupid essay. I really was going to do it tonight, but I was writing to Charlie...."

"I can help you with it," Hermione offered. "I already finished mine."

"I really need to do well on this one," Lavender said. "I really messed up the last two exams we had."

"I promise to study with you from now on," Hermione sat up. "I thought those exams were pretty easy."

Lavender didn't know how Hermione was balancing her secret relationship with Harry with studying. Of course, Hermione was far more organised than she was. Lavender really wanted to prove herself, but lately it seemed as if all she could think about was Charlie. It was the same way with Ron when they first started seeing each other and with Seamus.

"It's not hard to focus once you get into it," Hermione was saying.

"How do you do it?" Lavender asked.

"Study?" Hermione asked. "I've always loved to learn... so I suppose that's it."

"But how do you block everything else out?" Lavender asked as she took out her books. "I sit down and I start thinking about Charlie and what he's doing and if he's thinking about me."

Hermione nodded thoughtfully. "It's been a bit harder to concentrate since I got with Harry. But I just force myself to study properly."

"That's what I want to do," Lavender said. "Study properly."

"You have to rid yourself of distractions," Hermione grabbed her books. "If you're writing a letter to Charlie, finish it first so it's done with. You'll be more apt to concentrate then."

"Right," Lavender said nodding. "No thinking about Charlie when we're studying. None whatsoever."

Hermione smiled. "It's okay to think about him a little. But just during little study breaks."

"Okay," Lavender said. "Well, I was thinking I would write about how to restrain magical law-breakers without attracting Muggle attention."

Hermione brightened. "That's a great topic!"

Lavender beamed at her. "Thanks. I checked out some books from the Ministry library."

"Let's take a look then," Hermione pulled her chair over to Lavender's desk and before long, the blonde's essay was finished.

"Thank you so much," Lavender said to her friend. "I really couldn't have done this without you."

"Anytime you want to study together, I'll make time." Hermione told her.

"Thank you," Lavender said again before yawning. "I think I'm going to bed. It's late."

"Me too," Hermione slid back the covers. "Did Eloise let you know how her date went?"

Lavender nodded. "She knocked on the door on her way back to her room. They snogged!"

Hermione grinned. "That's great!"

"She promised to give us full details tomorrow at breakfast," Lavender said.

Hermione changed into her pyjamas. "I can't wait." she said with a yawn.

"Good night, Hermione," Lavender said.

"Night," Hermione turned on her side and closed her eyes, hoping to fall asleep dreaming of sitting on a hot beach with Harry.

Lavender closed her eyes, vowing that her marks wouldn't suffer any further. She wasn't going to let her feelings for Charlie blur her focus on becoming an Auror.

*** *** ***

Harry was meeting with Lupin to discuss some things he wanted to go over with his class and Tonks had begged to come along. He'd hoped that after the ball, Lupin would finally open his eyes but it seemed his mentor was as blind as ever to Tonks's crush.

"So, next week, you want to take your group on a mission?" Lupin asked.

Harry nodded. "I think it'd be really beneficial for them to see what it's like out there."

"You'd need at least two more Aurors present," Lupin replied thoughtfully.

"I wouldn't mind helping out," Tonks said eagerly.

"Thank you, Nymphadora," Lupin said absently.

Tonks hated it when anyone called her by that name, but she never minded when Remus said it. She loved the way her name sounded on his lips.

"What about you, Remus?" Tonks asked a dreamy tone to her voice. "You could help out, too."

"Yeah," Harry answered. "I think it'd be great if both of us were there."

"I think that can be arranged," Lupin replied. "We have to go over the logistics of course."

"Great," Harry said, sneaking a grin at Tonks.

"We can go over that at the meeting tomorrow," Lupin said. "Is there anything else?"

"I don't think so," Harry gathered his notes and stuffed them back into his case.

Tonks reluctantly stood up and excused herself. She was thinking she'd drown her sorrows in a cup of coffee and a muffin. She walked hastily in the direction of the cafeteria. To her dismay, she found herself in the queue right behind Lupin's friend, Cassandra.

Thinking she'd try to be friendly, she greeted the other woman. "Hello Cassandra," she said, keeping her tone neutral.

"Tonks, right?" Cassandra asked.

"Yes," she nodded. "How are you?"

"Fantastic," Cassandra replied. "Have you seen Remus? He was supposed to join me for breakfast."

"He was upstairs with Harry," Tonks told her.

"That's nice," Cassandra said moving her tray down to make room for Tonks. "You and Harry make a nice couple."

"Harry and I aren't a couple," Tonks replied. "He's too young for me."

Cassandra smiled. "The same could be said for you and Remus Lupin."

Tonks bit her lower lip. "He's a good friend," she said, but knew she didn't sound convincing.

"Let's call a spade a spade, Nymphadora," Cassandra said folding her arms and looking disdainfully at her. "I see the way you look at Remus. You should be ashamed of yourself, for one thing. He is old enough to be your father!"

Tonks was so embarrassed; she hardly knew what to say. "I don't know what you're talking about," she murmured, her face flushing as pink as her hair.

"He needs someone cultured and someone who understands the same things he does," Cassandra said. "You hardly fit the bill."

Something inside Tonks snapped at Cassandra's tone. "And you think you do?" she asked, looking straight up at the older woman.

"No," Cassandra said shaking her head. "I KNOW that I do. You are just a child."

"I'm no child," Tonks's palm was itching for her wand, but she kept that impulse under control.

"How many adults do you know with pink hair?" Cassandra asked. "Or purple hair. Face it dear, you're not on his level and you never will be."

"I think you're wrong," Tonks said evenly. "Remus needs someone who can keep him on his toes, not bore him to death."

Cassandra finished loading her tray. "I can assure you that I don't bore him."

"That's not what he said," Tonks muttered. She was lying through her teeth, but wanted desperately to get under this horrid woman's skin.

"Oh," Cassandra said rolling her eyes. "You expect me to believe that he talks to you about his personal life?"

"Why shouldn't he?" Tonks asked.

"Hello, ladies," Lupin said coming up behind them. "You seem to be holding up the queue."

Tonks blushed and Cassandra smirked haughtily, as if she'd just proved herself right.

"Everything okay?" Lupin asked looking at both of them.

"Fine," Tonks replied, turning away quickly.

"Nymphadora and I were just coming to an understanding," Cassandra replied.

"An understanding about what?" Lupin asked.

Tonks only shook her head and moved away, too angry to say a word.

"I'm really happy to see you," Cassandra said happy to have him alone.

Lupin smiled. "It's a pleasure, as always." he said cordially.

Cassandra waited patiently for him to choose what he wanted for breakfast before she led the way to a quiet table in the back of the cafeteria. "That girl....Tonks...she certainly is a strange one."

Lupin's face broke out into a grin. "She sure is," he said affectionately.

"I hear she's quite clumsy too," Cassandra said.

"That's Nymphadora," Lupin looked over at the pink haired young woman. "She's one of a kind."

"She's around thirty, right?" Cassandra asked.

Lupin nodded. "And a crack shot Auror. One of the best I've seen."

Cassandra didn't believe that was true. She figured Remus was just being nice. "She certainly is quite fond of you, Remus."

"You think so?" Remus asked.

"I think she has a bit of crush, if you must know," Cassandra said.

"On me?" Remus chuckled. "You must be mistaken."

"A woman knows these things," Cassandra said. "She and I were just chatting about it, actually."

"Nymphadora used to be my student," Remus said. "I doubt she fancies me, Cassandra."

"Well, I nipped it in the bud," Cassandra told him. "I told her that there was no possible way the two of you could have a relationship. For one thing, there is the age difference."

He gave her a strange look. "Cassandra--"

"There's no need to thank me," Cassandra interjected.

"I wasn't going to," Lupin informed her. "My private life is just that. Private."

"Oh," Cassandra frowned.

"I enjoy a good friendship with you," Lupin replied. "And with Nymphadora."

"She's a child," Cassandra said dismissively.

Lupin felt himself grow defensive. "Nymphadora is not a child," he said. "She's a Metamorphmagus, and a huge asset."

"You can run your department as you see fit," Cassandra said. "But I think she's more of a liability especially if she's too busy getting moony-faced over you."

"I will run my department," Lupin said coolly. "The way I see fit. I do a good job. And Tonks is one of the best we have. And if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go join her now."

Cassandra was speechless.

"Take care," Lupin gathered his things and stood up.

Tonks picked at her food. She couldn't believe she'd allowed that evil cow to get under her skin the way she had.

She was stewing in her own thoughts and didn't notice a figure approach her.

"Mind if I join you, Nymphadora?"

Tonks looked up in surprise. "Remus. I thought you were with your girlfriend...."

"Cassandra is most certainly not a girlfriend of mine," Remus set his tray down.

Tonks felt a smile play at her lips at this. "Oh, well, I just thought that since you'd been on a date or two that you were seeing each other."

"She came with me to the ball," Remus replied. "That's it."

"So you don't have feelings for her?" Tonks asked before she could stop herself.

Remus shook his head.

Tonks grinned. "That's fantastic!"

He was amused. "And why is that?"

Tonks blushed. "I didn't mean that. I meant that it was fantastically sad that things couldn't work out."

"Uh huh," Remus said. "You know... she told me something interesting before I left the table."

"What's that?" Tonks asked before taking a sip of her juice.

"That she thinks you fancy me," he answered.

Tonks choked on the juice. "W-what?"

"She told me you fancy me," Lupin looked directly at her.

"That's---that's," Tonks stammered.

"True?" Remus asked, feeling flattered, and for some reason, rather eager for her answer.

Tonks wished she could disappear. "Um, well, I might have a small crush."

He stared at her without speaking.

"I think you're the most wonderful man," Tonks said, knowing that she had to get all of this out. "I've always thought that actually. You always know just what to say and what to do. And I usually hate it when people call me 'Nymphadora' but I don't have a problem when you say it."

A slow smile spread across his face.

"I know that you're older than me, but I don't have a problem with that," Tonks said looking over at him. "I think age is just a number. It only matters how you feel..."

"I never thought of you the way you think of me," Lupin said quietly. "But--"

"But?" Tonks asked, her face drooping. "No, don't say it. I don't need to hear it. I know what you're going to say. Just forget that I said anything."

"I was going to say that I wasn't sure how I felt," he interrupted her.

"Oh," Tonks said quietly.

"But if we got to know each other better in a more casual setting, that might change," Remus said.

Tonks smiled. "Are you asking me out on a date, sir?"