Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

We hope you enjoy this chapter today- a little time with Justin and Eloise and then a bit of insight into Ernie's crazy head. Everyone have a safe and Happy Christmas!!!

Eloise checked her reflection one more time in the mirror. She remembered what Lavender had said about not overdoing her makeup and had only put on a touch of eye shadow, blush, and lipstick.

She wasn't sure why she was so nervous- she supposed she really wanted Justin to impress her family. They were often so critical of her- because she wasn't the beautiful one like her sister- and Justin was also the first guy she'd ever brought home.

"Eloise!" her mother called out. "Come and set the table!"

"Be right there," Eloise called back, pushing her hair behind her shoulders.

"I hope your Justin likes beef stew," Isabelle Midgen said to her daughter. "Because I have made enough to feed an army."

"I'm sure he does, Mum." Eloise got out the silverware.

"When is this Dustin supposed to be here anyway?" Walter Midgen asked his daughter. "Hmm?"

"Any minute now," Eloise replied. "And it's Justin, Dad. Not Dustin."

"Of course," Walter nodded.

"I told him half past seven," Eloise said. "So he could be here anytime."

"You look lovely, sweetheart," Isabelle said smiling at her daughter.

"Thanks Mum," Eloise said, flushing a bit.

"I'm glad that you're sister is home so we can all meet him," Isabelle said.

"Right," Eloise forced a smile. She and her sister Danielle had never quite seen eye to eye on things.

Danielle was three years older than Eloise and she was studying to be a healer. She also had the good fortune to get the good skin and good hair in the family and she'd never had a problem with acne like Eloise had.

"Are we eating soon?" Danielle breezed into the room. "I have a final tomorrow and I have to study tonight."

"Yes, Dani," Isabelle replied. "Eloise's boyfriend will be here soon. Why don't you help your sister finish setting the table?"

Danielle rolled her eyes. "Fine."

"Thanks," Eloise muttered as her sister set out the napkins.

"As usual, I have to finish your job," Danielle said. "Honestly, Eloise."

Eloise sighed. "I just got started, Dani."

Danielle didn't say anything else. "Isn't this bloke supposed to be here by now?"

"He should be here any minute," Eloise said.

"I think it's nice that you've made some good friends," Isabelle commented, setting the pot of stew in the middle of the table. "Lavender and Hermione, right?"

Eloise nodded. "We've gotten pretty close."

"Lavender Brown?" Danielle asked. "The pretty blonde? She's your friend?"

Eloise nodded. "Especially since we began Auror training."

Danielle looked at her uncertainly. "Mmmhmm."

"It's true," Eloise said defensively. "She's the one who helped get Justin to notice me."

"She must have been a miracle worker," Danielle said with a smirk.

Eloise frowned at her sister. "Thanks a lot."

"Girls, please," Walter said coming into the kitchen. He surveyed the table. "This looks delicious, Isabelle."

"Thanks," Isabelle said. "It's all ready for when Justin arrives."

"It's not everyday that a father gets to meet his youngest daughter's boyfriend," Walter said putting his arm around Eloise. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks Daddy," Eloise said gratefully. "You'll really like him."

"We should wait for him in the sitting room," Isabelle suggested.

"Okay," Eloise agreed.

"Danielle, what is your final on tomorrow?" Isabelle asked conversationally.

Eloise didn't listen for the answer. She was too nervous about Justin. She hoped that her family would like him as much as she did.

Fifteen minutes later, her nervous butterflies had returned. She wondered why he wasn't there yet.

Danielle sighed and shot a glare at her sister.

"Should you ring him, sweetheart?" Walter asked. "See if something's holding him up?"

"Yes," Eloise said blushing. "I'll do that right now."

She went into the kitchen and dialled his mobile number, hoping he'd pick up and have a good excuse as to why he was late.

To her dismay, she reached his voice mail. "Justin, it's me. I hope you're not running late. We're all just waiting on you. I hope everything's okay. Call me when you get this. Bye."

"Well?" Danielle asked when she came back into the room.

"Voice mail," Eloise replied. "I-I'm sure he's on his way."

"You know, I really need this time to study--" her sister began.

"Danielle," Isabelle interjected. "I'm sure Justin will be here soon."

"Sure," Danielle smirked. "How do we know Eloise didn't just make him up?"

Eloise glared at her sister. "I didn't make him up!"

"Danielle, apologise to your sister," Walter ordered.

"I'm sorry," Danielle mumbled and Eloise knew her sister didn't mean it.

"I'd better check on the stew," Isabelle said. "Make sure it's not drying out."

"I'm sorry, Mum," Eloise said softly.

"It's all right," Isabelle smiled at her daughter before hurrying into the kitchen.

Danielle looked at her sister. "Have you been using that lotion the dermatologist prescribed? I think it's drying out your skin, Eloise."

"My skin is fine," Eloise said, looking away from her sister.

Eloise looked at the clock on the wall and sighed. Justin was over 20 minutes late now.

"What sort of bloke is this?" Danielle pressed on relentlessly. "Can't even ring to tell us he'll be late?"

Eloise looked at her. "Dani, something could have happened to him..."

"Sure," Danielle rolled her eyes.

Eloise was about to ring him again when she heard the doorbell.

"He's here," she said, relief flooding through her body as she rushed for the door.

Justin looked sheepish and apologetic when he saw Eloise. "I am so sorry I'm late."

"We've been waiting for you," Eloise was so happy to see him she almost didn't care.

"Can I come in?" Justin asked.

"Oh... of course." Eloise stood back.

Justin stepped inside and kissed her on the cheek. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," Eloise blushed a bright red. "Um... let me take your cloak."

"Thanks," Justin said taking it off and handing it to her. "You have a really nice house."

"Thank you," she said. "Um... why don't you come into the kitchen. It's just this way."

"Okay," Justin said taking her hand. He was relieved that she didn't seem too upset with him for being late.

"Mum?" Eloise said as she led him into the room. "I'd like you to meet Justin. Justin, this is my mum, Isabelle."

"It's nice to meet you, Justin," Isabelle said shaking his hand.

"You too," Justin said. "I do apologise for being late. My friend Ernie swore that he heard of a raid happening tonight but nothing ever came of it."

"Oh," Isabelle said smiling at him. "That's quite alright. This is my husband, Walter..."

"Hello, son." Walter shook his hand firmly.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Midgen," Justin said. "Eloise has told me a great deal about all of you."

"She's told us a few things about you," Walter said.

"All good, I hope," Justin said with a charming grin.

"Of course," Eloise said hastily. "And um... this is my older sister, Danielle."

Justin turned around to see Eloise's sister. "Hello, Danielle."

"Justin," Danielle said, not warmly but not unfriendly either.

"Why don't we all sit down?" Isabelle asked. "I put a warming charm on the stew. I hope you're hungry, Justin."

"Starved, actually." Justin replied. "Eloise has told me what a wonderful cook you are."

Isabelle grinned. "She's quite a good cook herself."

"I'm not that great," Eloise said shyly.

"She's being modest," Isabelle said proudly.

"I had no idea," Justin smiled at her.

"She's not that great," Danielle said.

Justin looked at her in surprise and Eloise turned red. "I'm good at making dessert," she said. "I um, I made it for tonight."

"Chocolate cake," Danielle said grabbing a roll from the basket. "Which you shouldn't eat, Eloise. "

"A small piece never hurts," Isabelle gave her older daughter a look.

"It's her skin," Danielle said loftily.

Eloise stared down at her plate, feeling completely humiliated.

"I happen to think she has lovely skin," Justin said smiling reassuringly at Eloise.

She managed a grateful smile at her boyfriend. "Thanks," she said softly.

Walter's opinion of Justin went up even more at that. "Justin, Eloise tells us that you're near the top of your training class."

"Just behind Hermione Granger," Justin nodded. "That girl is positively brilliant."

"She's helped me out so much," Eloise said.

"Figures," Danielle mumbled.

"Eloise really is being modest," Justin told them. "Harry told her just before break that she had improved so much since the beginning of training. Remus Lupin said she was going to be a great Auror. "

Isabelle smiled with pride. "Eloise has always been able to do anything she sets her mind to."

"You didn't tell us about this," Walter said to his youngest daughter. "Eloise...that's wonderful!"

"I meant to," Eloise said.

"I'm at the top of my class," Danielle announced.

"What are you studying to be?" Justin asked.

"A healer," Danielle announced. "I have one more year of study and then I'll be working at St. Mungos."

"That's very impressive," Justin nodded.

Eloise decided not to tell Justin that her sister was probably doing this more out of ambition than a desire to help her fellow man.

"Yes well," Danielle said. "I was always the smarter one."

Eloise looked across the table at her sister. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Just what I said," Danielle replied coolly.

"Danielle," Isabelle chastised.

Danielle only shrugged before returning to her stew.

"Eloise told us you were Muggle born?" Walter asked conversationally. Justin nodded. "I was all set to go to Eton like my Dad when I received my Hogwarts letter."

"Eton?" Isabelle asked, impressed. "My, my!"

"Handsome and smart," Eloise said beaming at him.

Justin grinned back at her. "Only the best for you."

Isabelle grinned. She was happy that her daughter seemed to have found a nice bloke who would treat her well. "Justin, how were your holidays?"

"Very nice, Mrs. Midgen." Justin replied. "Yours?"

"We had a really nice one, too," Isabelle told him. "It's always nice to have our girls home."

"We'll be back in those dorms soon enough," Eloise said. "My bed here is much more comfortable."

"What about you, Danielle?" Justin asked. "Do you stay in the dorms at University or do you have a flat?"

"I have my own flat," Danielle said.

"Must be nice," Justin said. "Not to have flatmates..."

"It is," Danielle replied. "I can come and go as I please, and I can study in peace."

"That must be nice," Justin joked. "I share a dorm with my best mate, Ernie."

The smile on Eloise's face slipped a bit at the mention of Ernie's name.

"I hope you've saved room for Eloise's chocolate cake," Isabelle said getting out of her chair.

"I'll always have room for that," Justin answered.

"I'll help you, Mum," Eloise said getting up, too.

"Is there anything I can do?" Justin asked.

Walter smiled. "You can sit here with me and tell me which team you pull for, Justin."

Justin laughed. "That's easy, sir. Puddlemere all the way."

"I knew I liked this boy," Walter said with a grin.

At the counter, Eloise looked expectantly at her mother. "What about you, Mum?" she whispered. "Do you like him?"

Isabelle smiled. "He's a lovely young man, and obviously quite taken with you."

"You really think so?" Eloise asked hopefully.

"Absolutely," Isabelle said.

Eloise grinned. "He's pretty fantastic, isn't he?"

Isabelle laughed. "Yes, he is. Your father and I are happy for you, sweetheart."

"I just wish Dani could be happy for me too," Eloise said wistfully.

"Deep down, she is," Isabelle replied, placing cake on dessert plates.

"Way deep down," Eloise grumbled.

"What was that, sweetheart?" Isabelle asked.

"Nothing, Mum," Eloise said. "I'll---I'll get the coffee."

"Thank you dear," Isabelle put the plates on a tray and levitated it in the air.

"...so needless to say," Danielle was telling them. "I was the only one who knew the healing charm."

Justin nodded. "That's pretty incredible."

"That's what my professor said," Danielle said proudly.

"Who wants coffee?" Eloise interrupted.

"Me, definitely," Danielle replied. "I need the caffeine if I'm going to study."

Eloise set a cup down and poured some coffee into it for her sister.

Danielle didn't even say thank you when Eloise placed the cup in front of her. She excused herself from the table and Eloise couldn't say she was sorry to see her go.

She poured coffee for the rest of them and sat down again next to Justin, feeling as if a large weight had just lifted from her shoulders.

"How has it been learning from Harry Potter?" Isabelle asked.

"Amazing," Eloise said. "It was a bit strange at first, seeing as he's our age, but he's accomplished so much."

"It was really strange for Ernie, Ron and me since we were all mates at school," Justin told them. He didn't let on that Ernie and Harry had barely stood each other when they were in Hogwarts.

"Can't be that strange for Ernie," Eloise said. "He hardly listens to anything Harry says."

"He and Harry kind of had a friendly rivalry in school," Justin said diplomatically. "Ernie and I are like brothers..."

"I have a number of friends like that," Walter nodded. "You stay close your whole life."

"Ern's had a tough time of it lately," Justin said. "It was part of the reason I was late arriving here actually."

"You said he thought there was a raid?" Eloise asked.

Justin nodded. "If you ask me, I think it was an excuse to get closer to Padma Patil. He had her involved even though she's not an Auror."

"Involved how?" Eloise asked.

"Well you know how she's interning with the Wizengamot?" Justin asked her. "Well, he was trying to see if she would let him look at some old case files."

"Oh," Eloise replied.

"Sounds like your friend Ernie is quite ambitious," Walter commented.

"He can be," Justin finished his cake. "Eloise, that was delicious."

Eloise beamed at him. "I'm glad you liked it, Justin."

"I thought perhaps if your parents didn't mind, I'd take you out for a little while," Justin said. "A movie, perhaps?"

Eloise looked at her parents. "Would that be okay?"

"Of course," Isabelle replied.

Walter shook Justin's hand. "It was a pleasure meeting you, son."

"You too," Justin replied.

"Don't be a stranger," Isabelle said. "Drop by anytime."

Eloise grabbed her cloak. "I won't be late, Mum."

"Have fun darling," Isabelle kissed her cheek.

Justin reached for her hand the moment they left the house. "So what's the verdict?"

"I think they love you," Eloise said happily. "I knew they would."

"Your sister is a piece of work," Justin commented.

Eloise shook her head. "We've never gotten along- I'm sure that's plain to see."

"She likes to be the centre of attention, doesn't she?" Justin asked.

"More than you know," Eloise said. "For the longest time, I didn't believe I was as good as she is at anything."

"You're a good girlfriend," Justin said grinning at her.

Eloise blushed deeply. "Well I think you're a good boyfriend," she said boldly.

"Even though you don't like my best mate very much?" Justin asked.

Eloise looked away. "I wish I could say I did," she confessed. "But Ernie's never been very nice to me."

"Ern's a good bloke," Justin said loyally. "He's just had a hard time lately."

"I'll have to take your word for it," Eloise shrugged.

"He is," Justin said. "You and Ernie haven't had a chance to really get to know each other is all."

"I guess," Eloise replied. "I don't want to talk about Ernie, though."

"We'll agree to disagree about him," Justin said.

"We'll have to," Eloise squeezed his hand.

Justin gave his girlfriend a lingering kiss. He forgot all about his best mate.

His best mate had his hands full dealing with an irate Padma Patil.

"Do you have any idea how much trouble I could have gotten into if we'd been caught?" Padma asked him angrily. "Honestly! A raid..."

"I just thought--" Ernie began.

"You didn't think," Padma said angrily, tossing her hair over her shoulder. Ernie stared transfixed. That was something that Parvati used to do all the time.

"Hello," Padma said impatiently. "What are you staring at?"

"Um, nothing," Ernie said hastily.

She rolled her eyes. "You know, I could be spending tonight with my family. But no, I'm here on some strange hunch you have."

"I'm sorry," Ernie said turning on the charm.

"I'm going home," Padma said, reaching for her cloak.

"Wait," Ernie called after her. "I was thinking about...our plan."

"What about it?" she asked.

"What's the one thing that Potter feels the most guilty about?" Ernie asked.

Padma looked at him a moment. "I'd say that's fairly obvious," she answered quietly. "My sister."

Ernie smiled. "And... you look just like her."

"What the hell are you getting at?" Padma asked snappishly.

"I'm thinking that it's time your sister haunted Potter, so to speak," Ernie said calmly. He didn't want to make her mad. He needed her too much.

Padma stared at him silently.

"You could wear your hair in that one plait like Parvati used to do," Ernie remembered.

"You want me to dress just like my sister to freak out Harry Potter?" Padma asked slowly. She wondered just how far Ernie was going to take this.

"It's going to drive him crazy," Ernie argued his point. "You know how he was right after his godfather died, right? He was barely able to concentrate."

"I suppose so," Padma said. "I still have some of her clothing in my closet at home. I'll wear something the first day you all come back."

"Fantastic," Ernie said hugging her. "You're not going to regret this!"

Padma had to keep herself from shuddering. "Well you know... its part of the plan."

"We're going to make him pay for what he did to you," Ernie said softly.

"Not just to me," she said. "My entire family misses her."

"She was the best," Ernie said pulling away to look at her. "And she is going to have justice."

"How well did you know her?" Padma asked.

"Very well," Ernie said. "She and I used to study together."

"I see," Padma answered, stepping back.

Her sister wasn't one for studying. In fact, if it hadn't been for Padma's tutoring, Parvati might have flunked out of Hogwarts.

Ernie though remembered that one time he'd been close to asking her out. He'd found her in the library giggling with Lavender about the latest Witch Weekly. Ernie hoped Lavender would leave soon.

***

"That dress would look great on you," Lavender said holding up the magazine.

"I was thinking I might get it in green," Parvati said.

Lavender grinned. "Because it matches a certain Gryffindor's eyes, perhaps?"

"Oh, perhaps," Parvati's grin was huge.

"He was looking at you at dinner," Lavender whispered.

"You know, at first I thought why bother," Parvati confided. "But he's not the same bloke he was at the Yule Ball."

Ernie rolled his eyes. Parvati Patil fancied Harry Potter?

"And if you and Harry go out," Lavender said with a grin. "You can double with me and Ron."

Parvati laughed. "You know, Padma said he's still the worst date she ever had."

Lavender giggled. "Well, he's come a long way since then. He sure can snog..."

"I'll take your word for it," Parvati sat back. "So you really think I should go out with Harry?"

"Absolutely," Lavender replied. "In fact, I think---"

Her voice trailed off when she felt a tapping on her shoulder. She turned around. "Ernie?"

"Hey," Ernie said. "I'm sorry to bother you, but Professor McGonagall asked me to get you. She wanted a quick word in your common room."

"What?" Lavender gave him a strange look. "Why would she ask you to get me?"

"I ran into her on my way to the library," Ernie lied. "She said it was urgent."

"I hope everything's okay," Lavender rose.

"Maybe I should go with you," Parvati also started to get up.

"She was pretty clear," Ernie said quickly. "Just Lavender."

"I'll be back soon," Lavender assured her, hurrying out of the library.

Parvati sat back down and started to thumb through the magazine again.

"So..." Ernie sat down in Lavender's vacated seat.

Parvati looked up at him. "Yes?"

"What's new with you?" Ernie asked, mentally kicking himself.

"I really should be studying for Charms," Parvati confided. "But, Lav and I were just looking over this week's Witch Weekly. It's their spring fashion issue."

"You'd look fantastic in those robes," Ernie gazed at one of the models in the magazine.

Parvati beamed at him. "You think so?"

"Oh absolutely," Ernie said. "That blue colour on you..."

"I was actually thinking of green," Parvati said softly.

"Why green?" Ernie asked, even though he knew the answer.

Parvati blushed. "Just because..."

"Well, I happen to think you'd look pretty in anything," Ernie said.

Parvati grinned. "You really think so? That's really sweet of you to say, Ernie."

"Yeah well," Ernie smiled back at her. "So listen... I was thinking perhaps sometime you'd like--"

"Hi, Parvati," a male voice said from behind her.

Parvati turned and blushed. "Hello, Harry."

He smiled at her. "I--I was wondering if you were going with anyone to Hogsmeade this weekend?"

"No, I'm not," Parvati tried not to sound too eager.

"Well, I was wondering," Harry said looking down at his feet. "I was wondering---"

"Yes?" Parvati turned her back on a seething Ernie.

"If you might want to go with me?" Harry asked.

Parvati tipped her head to the side, playing it cool as she pretended to think for a moment. "That might be nice," she finally said.

Harry grinned and looked as if he couldn't believe she'd actually said yes. "Great."

"How about we meet up at breakfast," she suggested. "And go from there?"

"I'd like that," Harry replied. He sat down beside her. "So what are you doing?"

"Just doing a little browsing," Parvati said flirtatiously. "What would you think of me in these robes... in green?"

Harry looked at the magazine. "I don't know much about fashion, but I think you would look beautiful in them."

"I like them because they match your eyes," Parvati said, leaning in just a bit.

Ernie couldn't believe this. They seemed to have forgotten he was even here.

"So I see," Harry grinned back at her.

"I'll have to see if they have something like this in Hogsmeade," Parvati said. "But you probably wouldn't like me dragging you in and out of shops would you?"

"I wouldn't mind too much," Harry sat back.

"I thought you were going out with Cho Chang," Ernie interjected.

"What?" Harry asked, just realising he was there. "Where'd you hear that, Macmillan?"

"I saw you talking with her at breakfast," Ernie said. "Of course, you didn't waste your time after Cedric, did you?"

Parvati turned and gave him a dirty look. "They're friends."

"I don't think it's any of your business, Macmillan," Harry retorted.

Ernie sneered at him as he got up. "Well I don't want to interrupt your DATE," he snapped.

***

Padma waved her hand in front of Ernie's face. "Hello? Where did you go just now?"

"What?" he jumped.

"You got this funny look on your face," Padma told him. "Just now."

Ernie shrugged. "I'm fine."

"I should really be going," Padma said.

"So I'll see you soon, right?" Ernie asked.

"Yeah," Padma replied. "I'll---I'll be in touch."

"Great," Ernie smiled at her. "I'll see you later, Parvati."

Padma stared at him. "Padma, you mean."

"What?" he asked.

"You called me 'Parvati'," Padma said quietly.

"I did?" Ernie asked. "I uh... it must have been because of the plan."

Padma studied him. Something about him had always seemed off to her, but more so lately. "Um, okay then."

Ernie nodded. "Have a good night." he stood up.

Padma gathered the rest of her belongings. She was glad that Ernie was leaving. More troubling though was this plan of his. Padma wanted to see Harry suffer for what had happened to her sister, but this didn't seem like the best way. She didn't want to wear her sister's clothes or act as her sister had. A guilty feeling nagged at her that her sister wouldn't want that.

With a sigh, she pushed the thought out of her mind. This had to be done.