Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

I (Heaven) am so, so sorry for not posting last night! My mind is in thirty places at once these days and I just plain forgot. Please forgive me you guys! This chapter ends the action, and the next chapter wraps the whole story up. Please enjoy! Thanks for helping make this story such a fun one to write!

Hermione screamed as she fell to the floor, writhing in pain.

Ernie unbound the ties around his wrists with one quick motion and pointed the wand at Tonks, knocking her out cold. He grabbed Eloise and held the wand to her neck.

"Ernie--" she said, swallowing nervously. "Don't do this--"

"Shut up!" Ernie shouted. From the floor, Hermione screamed. The pain was unbearable.

Lupin, Harry, Justin and the rest of the team rushed into the corridor. Ernie pointed the wand at them as he gripped Eloise around the throat.

Ernie quickly warded the space around him and Eloise so no spells could affect them.

"Let her go!" Justin said a panicked look in his eyes.

Hermione continued to writhe in pain on the floor. Harry went to her side. "Hermione!"

"Get away from her, Potter," Ernie said coldly.

"Break the curse, you son-of-a-bitch!" Harry ordered. "NOW!"

"I don't think so," Ernie said, his eyes wild. He held Eloise tighter around the throat and jabbed the wand into her skin.

"Do something!" Justin shouted looking at Lupin.

"Ernie," Lupin began carefully. "You're getting yourself in even deeper. Don't make this worse." He could barely take his own eyes off the crumpled body of Tonks.

"C-can't b-breathe," Hermione gasped.

"BREAK THE CURSE YOU FUCKING BASTARD!" Harry screamed at him. "OR I'LL KILL YOU MYSELF!"

"I'm having too much fun," Ernie cackled. "Now, I just need to decide what to use on old Eloise here..."

"No!" Justin said. "Ernie-- mate... don't hurt her. Please!"

"Some best mate you are," Ernie said angrily.

"Come on," Justin pleaded. "Just don't hurt her!"

Hermione grabbed hold of Harry's arm, gasping for breath.

Lavender closed her eyes, concentrating hard on a spell Harry had taught them. "Break down the wards," she whispered, raising her wand.

She tried to remember the proper incantation. She suddenly recalled a passage she'd read in a book of Hermione's.

Opening her eyes, Lavender shouted out the words and the ward Ernie had created around himself and Eloise vanished. Harry immediately rushed at the two of them, pushing Eloise aside and tackling Ernie to the ground.

Justin reached for Eloise. "Are you alright?"

"Fine," she gasped.

"You're going to rot in Azkaban," Harry spat at Ernie.

"Fuck you, Potter." Ernie snarled at him.

Kingsley put his arm on Harry's shoulder. "Let him go. I'm going to make sure he makes it to Azkaban personally."

Harry shoved away from Ernie and rushed to Hermione's side.

She was struggling to sit up. Every muscle in her body ached from what she had just been through.

"Hey," Harry said. "I've got you..." he carefully lifted her into his arms.

Hermione looked dazedly at him. "H-Harry?"

"It's me, sweetheart," Harry answered, brushing her hair gently off her face.

Lavender knelt down beside them. "And me. Did you see what I did?"

"That was incredible, Lavender." Harry told her.

Lavender beamed. "Thanks. I couldn't have done it without Hermione and her books!"

Hermione managed a weak smile.

"Well done, Miss Brown," Lupin said coming over to join them. Tonks was leaning against him, a sheepish look on her face.

Lavender blushed. "Thank you sir."

"Are you okay, Tonks?" Harry asked.

"Fine," Tonks nodded. "How is she?"

"She feels like she's just gone two rounds with a Norwegian Ridgeback," Hermione replied.

"Sorry," Tonks winced.

"I'm just glad that you found Padma and me," Hermione replied.

"Soon as we figured out you two were missing, we started searching," Harry told her as he picked her up to carry her into the lift.

"I want to see you both in my office tomorrow morning," Lupin called out to them. "Eight a.m."

Hermione froze in his arms. "Harry?"

"Remus," Harry said. "Listen, I--"

"Tomorrow, eight a.m.," Lupin cut him off.

"Yes sir," Harry mumbled.

"Harry?" Hermione asked when they were alone in the lift. "What's wrong?"

"He knows," Harry said. "Everyone knows."

"About...us?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded.

Hermione's face fell. "Harry--"

"We'll figure it out," Harry promised. "I swear. But for now I have to get you to St. Mungos."

Hermione shook her head. "No, I'm fine--"

"You are not," Harry contradicted.

"I've messed things up enough for you," Hermione said quietly.

"Hermione--" Harry began.

"I'll tell Lupin that it was me," Hermione told him. "I'll tell him that I seduced you..."

"No," Harry shook his head. "We'll tell him the truth."

"But, you'll get sacked," Hermione protested.

"I don't care," Harry answered.

Hermione didn't believe that for a minute. Harry loved teaching. The lift pinged open and any argument she would have broached would have to wait.

Despite the fact that Ernie really hadn't done anything to Eloise, Justin insisted she be checked over as well.

"I'm more worried about you," Eloise said. "Justin, Ernie---"

"I'll never forgive him for this," Justin's mouth was set in a tight line.

Eloise put her arms around him. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Justin said softly. "You mean more to me than he does. I love you, Eloise."

"I love you, too," Eloise whispered.

"If anything ever happened to you--" he began.

"I'm not going anywhere," Eloise reassured him.

"You know, I'd like to come over for dinner again sometime soon," Justin told her.

"I'll owl mum and dad and see if they'll have us over this weekend," Eloise grinned.

"I hope Danielle will be there," Justin continued. "So I can tell her what an amazing, smart, talented woman her younger sister is…"

Eloise laughed. "Yeah, right."

Lavender had just finished up with Kingsley and came over to join the two.

"Hey, superstar," Eloise said to her.

"I can't believe I was able to do that," Lavender was nearly glowing with pride.

"I heard Lupin say that he didn't even know what spell you used," Justin said. "Way to go, Lav."

"Thanks," Lavender said. "I was so worried I wasn't getting anything out of these courses. All my studying and Hermione's help has really paid off. I can't wait to tell Charlie about this!"

"He's going to be so proud!" Eloise said, giving her a hug. "Thank you. You saved my life."

Lavender hugged her back. "I'm glad you're okay, Eloise."

"That makes two of us," Justin said. "Come on, Eloise. I want to take you to St. Mungos."

"Okay," she agreed. "But I'm not staying there."

"I'll come with," Lavender said. "I want to make sure Hermione's okay."

"I-I'd like to come to, if that's alright," Padma said approaching them.

Everyone turned to look at her in surprise.

"I'm not so sure she'd want you there," Lavender said coolly.

"She's my friend," Padma said.

"You have a funny way of showing it," Lavender retorted.

"I swear it," Padma said. "I... I didn't have anything to do with what happened with Ernie tonight."

Eloise looked warily at the other girl. Something told her that Padma was telling the truth. Lavender though didn't seem too convinced.

"We should let Hermione see her," Eloise volunteered. "And if she wants Padma to go away, then that's her decision."

"Fine," Lavender said crisply.

"Are you hurt?" Justin asked.

Padma shook her head. "I just have a few scratches and bruises."

The group of them headed for St. Mungos. "Can you believe it about Harry and Hermione?" Eloise asked her boyfriend quietly. "That they've been seeing each other all this time?"

"I know," Justin replied. "I wouldn't have guessed."

"He really seems to love her," Eloise continued softly.

"You don't think that she was given any unfair advantage, do you?" Justin asked. "I mean---"

"She wasn't," Lavender said. "Not at all."

"You knew about this?" Justin asked, in surprise.

"For awhile now," Lavender answered.

"Lupin didn't seem too pleased," Eloise remembered. She couldn't ever remember seeing their instructor look so angry before.

"Ron and I were the only ones who knew," Lavender said. "And Harry's pretty close with Lupin."

In the examination room, a healer had just finished checking on Hermione. "We'll give you some potions and then send you home, Miss Granger."

"Thank you," Hermione said gratefully.

The healer excused himself and left Hermione alone with Harry. "You're awfully quiet," Hermione said looking at him.

Harry looked at her. "I almost lost you. Again."

"Thanks to Lavender, you didn't," Hermione said softly.

"I'm not sorry that everyone knows," he said in reply.

"How can you say that?" Hermione asked him. "Harry--"

"Because I can't stand keeping it a secret anymore," Harry answered. "I love you, Hermione. I've been a bastard these past few weeks, but when I couldn't find you tonight... it all hit home. I can't live without you."

Hermione felt tears well up in her eyes. She patted the space beside her on the bed.

Harry sat down, taking her hand in his.

"I can't even remember what we were fighting about," Hermione said.

"I was ignoring you," he said ruefully. "Thinking I was seeing Parvati..."

"None of that matters now," Hermione said leaning in.

"Nothing," Harry answered. "And if I'm sacked, I'll find a new job."

Hermione kissed him. "I love you more than anything in this world."

"I love you too," he touched her face.

"Will you stay with me tonight?" she asked.

"Anything you want." Harry answered.

"Here are your potions, Miss Granger," the healer said coming back into the room carrying two vials. "Take the blue one first and then drink the green."

"Okay," Hermione answered, taking the vials.

"You're sure that she's going to be okay?" Harry asked the healer.

"She'll be fine come morning," the healer said. "Perhaps a bit sore- but she's lucky."

"Very lucky," Hermione said looking at Harry.

Harry waited until she'd taken the potions before reaching into his pocket. "This belongs to you, I believe."

"My ring," Hermione said smiling at him.

He slid it on her finger. "Now you can let everyone see it."

"Are we ready for that?" Hermione asked softly.

"I am," Harry told her.

"Lupin," Hermione said quietly. "He looked very disappointed."

"I know," Harry said. "But... I think it's more from me not telling him than it is me falling in love with you."

"I know how important you are to him," Hermione said.

"That's why I think once I explain, things will be okay," Harry said. "At least I hope…"

There was a knock on the doorframe and they looked up to see Lavender standing in the doorway with Padma Patil.

"How are you feeling?" Lavender asked immediately.

"Sore," Hermione replied. "But, they gave me something for the pain."

"Everyone wanted to make sure you were okay," Lavender said.

"Thanks to you," Hermione grinned. "You were amazing."

"Because of you," Lavender answered modestly.

"You were brilliant," Harry told Lavender. "You impressed everyone today, Lavender."

"I keep telling him that this shows he makes a good professor," Hermione said, leaning her head on Harry's shoulder.

Padma stepped into the room. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

Hermione nodded. "I'm fine, Padma. Thank you. Ernie didn't hurt you, did he?"

Padma shook her head. "No."

Harry looked point-blank at her. "So did you tell Hermione all about how you impersonated your sister? How you tried to make me think I'd gone mad?"

"She told me," Hermione put a hand on his arm.

"I'm not proud of what I did," Padma said quietly. "But, I had no idea he was planning this. No idea at all."

"He was as horrible to her as he was to me," Hermione told them.

"I'm sorry," Padma said sincerely. "I really am. I wish I could take it all back."

Harry opened his mouth to retort but closed it at the look on his girlfriend's face.

"I couldn't have made it through this without Hermione," Padma said.

"Maybe it's time then, that we let bygones be bygones," Harry said quietly.

Padma extended her hand. "My sister loved you very much."

"I loved her too," Harry said. "And I'll never forget her."

Padma shook his hand. "I really am sorry."

Harry nodded.

"Justin and Ron are outside, too," Lavender said. "I'll let them know everything's okay."

"Thanks," Hermione closed her eyes. "I'm tired..."

"I'll make sure she gets home okay," Harry said standing up and walking over to Lavender. "Thank you again for what you did tonight. You really were amazing."

"Thank you," Lavender glowed at his compliment.

"We'll let you get some rest," Padma said. "Good night."

"Night, Padma." Hermione said. "I'm glad you're okay too."

Harry watched the two girls leave and he couldn't believe this was actually happening. He was still wary of Padma, but Hermione seemed to believe in her. If she was willing to get past this, he supposed he could too. Grief did make you do some crazy things.

"Take me home, Harry." Hermione murmured.

Harry kissed her on the forehead. "Let me just make sure you're okay to be discharged and then I'll take you back to my place."

"Hurry," she said.

Hermione was asleep by the time he came back into the room with her discharge papers. Harry knelt down to pick her up and his eyes fell on the ring on her hand.

He stared at it for a long moment, realising exactly what it meant. They were going to spend the rest of their lives together. Not too long ago, he didn't think he had that kind of time. Gently, he gathered Hermione into his arms.

Hermione put her arms around his neck. "Going home now?" she murmured, her eyes still closed.

"Yes," he said. "Our home."

Hermione opened her eyes and smiled at him. "Our home."

Despite everything that had happened and that he dreaded would happen tomorrow, he smiled back at her. "That's right."

Hermione didn't know how he got them back to his place, but the next thing she knew he was setting her down on a bed.

"Just rest," Harry kissed her forehead. "I'll wake you up in time for us to go in."

Hermione shook her head. "No---have to find...find...a way...to help...."

"Help who?" Harry asked. "Me?"

"Help...help," Hermione said dazedly. "Help...Harry."

"I don't need help," Harry assured her.

"I'm---I'm so sleepy," Hermione whispered falling back onto the bed.

"Just rest," Harry brushed her hair back.

Hermione nodded and closed her eyes. "Just---just for a little bit."

Harry settled himself next to her, pulling her body close.

"Love you," Hermione said before she fell asleep.

"I love you too," Harry whispered.

*** *** ***

The next morning found Harry and Hermione waiting inside Lupin's office. Harry was pacing in front of the desk, trying to formulate a believable argument.

"Just let me do the talking," Harry told Hermione.

"Yes, but---" Hermione argued.

"It will be best if I do the talking and bear the brunt of the punishment," Harry interjected. "You're still a trainee."

Hermione gave him a look. "I'm as much a part of this as you are. And besides, I think I've found a way--"

"Good morning," Lupin said briskly, coming into the room. He closed the door behind him. "Have a seat, Harry."

Without a word, Harry dropped into the seat next to Hermione.

Lupin studied some paperwork on his desk for what seemed like an eternity.

"Harry," Lupin finally began. "Do you have any idea how serious this is?"

"I don't care," Harry said resolutely. "I love Hermione. If that means I have to quit teaching, I'll do it to be with her."

"He does care," Hermione interjected. "He doesn't want to quit teaching."

Lupin looked across the desk at Harry. "You are the closest thing that I'll ever have to a son, Harry. When Sirius died, I took on the responsibility of looking after you. I was so proud when you came aboard here."

Harry couldn't even look the older man in the eye. He scuffed his foot along the floor and stayed silent.

"You lied to me," Lupin said. "When the other Aurors thought it was you who was having the affair with the student, I stood up for you."

"I'm sorry," Harry mumbled.

"Professor," Hermione said quietly. "He only did it to protect me."

"I didn't want to cause her notoriety," Harry said. "I've never once favoured her in class, either."

"He didn't," Hermione said. "In fact, I think he expected more from me."

"As did I," Lupin looked at her.

Hermione looked down at the floor.

"Our relationship began before training began," Harry told his mentor. "We didn't know we'd end up here. We were both gobsmacked when we saw each other."

"That's right, sir." Hermione said. "That's what I was going to say. Technically... Harry can't be sacked because I wasn't his student when we first got together."

"Be that as it may," Lupin said. "Miss Granger, you were actively involved with a superior during training, which is expressly forbidden."

"I know," Hermione nodded. "Which is why I'm quitting."

Harry was about to open his mouth to rebut this when he heard what Hermione said. "You're what?"

"I'm quitting," Hermione said. "I've been offered a job in the Muggle Artefacts Research Office."

Harry looked quizzically at her. She hadn't mentioned this to him. "Hermione---"

"I never got the chance to tell you," she said softly. "I'm sorry."

"That still doesn't clear Harry, Miss Granger," Remus said. "He willingly engaged in a relationship with one of his students when he was in a position of authority."

"But it began before I was his student," Hermione objected. "And for that reason, he can't be sacked."

"Miss Granger," Lupin said impatiently. "The rules specifically state---"

"That a student and professor must not BEGIN a relationship while working together," Hermione finished. "I've read the manual several times."

Lupin opened his mouth to protest, but Hermione produced a copy of the manual and opened it to the specific page that stated the rule.

"Well..." Lupin seemed at a loss for words.

"So, under THOSE rules and THOSE words," Hermione said. "He cannot be sacked."

Harry had to suppress a smile at the look on Lupin's face.

"You, yourself are carrying on a relationship with someone who is junior staff," Hermione replied. "I think you and Tonks have handled it professionally."

"That's not the same," Lupin pointed out.

"Harry's a great teacher, sir," Hermione said. "He's fair and honest and patient. You know that just as well as I do."

"I do know," Lupin replied. "Aside from the whole Ernie situation, I've heard all good things about him."

"I know you're disappointed, but it's right there in black and white," Hermione said motioning toward the manual.

"It's not your relationship that disappoints me," Lupin said to both of them. "Harry... I just don't know why you had to keep it a secret from me."

"Because I didn't want to get her in trouble and I wanted to keep my job," Harry replied. "Remus, I'm sorry I didn't tell you and I'm sorry I lied."

"But we aren't going to stay apart," Hermione reached for Harry's hand.

"We're going to be married," Harry said.

Lupin's eyebrows nearly shot up into his hairline. "What?"

"This is serious," Harry told him. "I love her more than anything in this world."

Hermione couldn't help the blush that spread across her face.

"I'll need to discuss this with Kingsley," Lupin said quietly.

"I understand," Harry said, standing up.

"If you and Miss Granger will wait outside," Lupin said.

Harry squeezed Hermione's hand as they left Lupin's office and sat down just outside. "You didn't tell me you were looking into other jobs," he said.

"I've been thinking about it for awhile now," Hermione said. "I'm better at research and analysis. You know that just as well as I do."

"But I thought you really wanted to become an Auror," Harry said.

"I did," Hermione replied. "But I think this would be a better fit for me."

"We would be able to see each other more," Harry nodded. "All the time, actually."

Hermione smiled. "See?"

"I guess part of me will miss having you in my classroom," Harry said. "Ron's not sticking with the program either."

Hermione squeezed his hand. She had figured as much. She didn't know Ron all that well, but she could tell his heart hadn't been in their training.

"You know what else will be nice?" he asked her.

"What's that?" Hermione asked.

"We don't have to hide anymore," Harry answered. "I can kiss you anywhere and anytime I feel like it." he sent her a grin.

Hermione grinned. "Another benefit."

"This will turn itself out," Harry said, more to reassure himself than her.

"It will," Hermione agreed, resting her head on his shoulder.

"I think we gave everyone the shock of a lifetime when they realised we were seeing each other," Harry said with a smile.

"Just wait until my parents find out," Hermione said.

"Think they'll be okay with this?" Harry asked.

"I do," Hermione nodded. "They want me to be happy. Happy and a dentist. But one out of two, isn't bad."

Harry laughed. "Not at all."

Hermione looked at their intertwined hands. She was still getting used to seeing that ring on her finger.

"What are you thinking?" he asked.

"About what you said in Lupin's office," Hermione replied.

"About us getting married?" Harry rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand.

Hermione nodded. "Yeah."

"You okay with that?" he asked quietly.

"I want to be with you," Hermione replied without hesitation.

"I'm glad to hear that," he said softly.

"You can't get rid of me that easily," Hermione joked.

"Wouldn't want to," Harry said. "Not ever."

"So," Hermione said. "When do you want to get married?"

"Tonight?" he joked.

Hermione nudged him. "Right..."

"Tomorrow," Harry nudged her back.

"I can see it now," Hermione said. "Mum, Dad. I'd like you to meet Harry, my husband. See you, later."

"Next week then," Harry teased. "After they've approved of me."

"We could always tell them you're going to be a dentist," Hermione laughed.

Harry made a face. "I'll have to tell them I can't stand teeth."

"Oh, they're going to really love you then," Hermione said shaking her head.

"We just won't mention that part," Harry said.

Hermione leaned in and kissed him. "I love you more than anything in this world, too."

Harry cupped the back of her head in his hand and kept her lips pressed to his.

They broke apart when they heard Lupin's door opening. His expression was unreadable as he stepped out of the office and motioned for them to come back inside.

Not letting go of Hermione's hand, Harry led her back into the office where Kingsley sat by Lupin's desk.

"I take it you've made a decision then?" Harry asked.

Lupin nodded. "We have."

Hermione gave Harry's hand a squeeze.

"Since the rules state you had to be involved beforehand," Kingsley said. "We're allowing you to stay on as a professor, Harry. BUT... you are to take a three week suspension, without pay. And if this ever happens again--"

"It won't," Harry promised.

"We are very disappointed, in both of you," Lupin said. "And if you are intent on taking another job, Miss Granger, we will expect your resignation as soon as possible."

"You'll have it by the end of the day, sir," Hermione said.

Lupin nodded. "You both may go, then."

"Thank you, sir," Hermione said shaking first Lupin and then Kingsley's hands.

Harry looked over at Lupin, but the older man wouldn't meet his eyes. He felt bad for disappointing his mentor.

"He'll come around," Hermione said when they were alone.

"I hope so," Harry replied. "We've always been really close- this is the first big thing I've ever kept from him."

"I'm sorry," Hermione said, putting her arms around him.

"Not your fault," Harry pressed his face into her hair.

"You get to keep your job," Hermione said. "That's the best news."

"And I have an unexpected holiday," Harry said.

"Hmm," Hermione said. "Well, you know I have a couple of weeks before I have to start my new job."

"What are you thinking?" Harry asked softly.

"I'm thinking we could get away," Hermione said. "Just the two of us."

"Paris again?" he asked. "Or somewhere else?"

"How about some place warm?" Hermione asked.

"Will you wear a bikini?" Harry asked impishly.

"I don't have one," Hermione replied.

"We could fix that," Harry answered.

"We could, could we?" Hermione asked.

"Sure," Harry answered. "Or you could just wear nothing at all-- Ow!"

"I'm brave, but not that brave," Hermione said swatting at him.

Harry caught her up and hugged her to him.

"What's that for?" Hermione asked.

"Just because I love you," Harry said.

"I love you too," Hermione said resting her forehead on his.

Remus Lupin and Tonks came around the corner and saw the young couple locked in an embrace.

"Don't you think you were a little hard on him," Tonks whispered. "You're the closest thing he has to a father."

"Nymphadora, he lied to me," Tonks reminded her.

"But he had a good reason to keep it a secret," Tonks argued. "Come on- when was the last time you saw him that happy?"

"It's been awhile," Lupin admitted.

"I didn't know James and Lily, but don't you think they'd have liked to see their son, happy with a job he's great at and a woman he loves?" Tonks asked. "

"Of course they would," Lupin answered. "But it just doesn't excuse the fact that he didn't feel he could come to me."

"He knows you're disappointed," Tonks said. "But maybe you could let him know that you support him."

Lupin shrugged. Maybe he'd do that at some point, but right now he wasn't so sure he could.

"Wotcher, Harry!" Tonks called out before Lupin could stop her. "

Harry and Hermione pulled apart. "Hi Tonks..." he said warily, eyeing Lupin.

"Hermione, have you seen the um, the um---thing in the break room?" Tonks stammered, racking her brain for some sort of excuse to get Harry and Lupin alone.

"The what?" Hermione asked confused. Tonks shot her a look and Hermione suddenly understood. "Oh! That thing! No, I haven't seen it."

"Well come on!" Tonks grabbed her hand. "It's a really COOL thing!"

Lupin rolled his eyes as they left him alone with Harry. "Not very subtle, is she?"

"Never has been," Harry shrugged. "But that's part of her charm, isn't it?"

Lupin smiled. "That's Nymphadora."

Harry looked at his mentor for a long moment. "I am sorry I didn't' tell you."

"I guess I can understand why you didn't feel you could tell me," Lupin conceded.

"Ron and Lavender were the only two people that knew," Harry told him. "We just... we couldn't let this get around."

Lupin nodded. "So, you're getting married?"

Harry nodded. "I really hope you'll be there."

"I wouldn't miss that for the world," Lupin said honestly.

A smile spread across Harry's face. "You wouldn't?"

"Of course I wouldn't," Lupin replied. "You're---you're like a son to me, Harry. I've never wanted anything more for you than for you to be happy."

"Thank you," Harry said.

Lupin extended his hand.

Harry shook it firmly. "Thanks, old man." he grinned.

"Old man?" Lupin chuckled.

"Well, you know..." Harry shrugged. "You do look younger since you started dating Tonks."

"I think she might send me to an early grave," Lupin said dryly.

"Nah," Harry said. "She'll keep you alive longer."

"That's what I keep telling him," Tonks said as she and Hermione rejoined them.

"Is everything okay?" Hermione asked Harry softly.

Harry nodded. "I think so."

Lupin looked at his girlfriend. "So how was the cool thing in the cafeteria? Everything it was made out to be?"

"It was very cool," Tonks said innocently.

"Very cool," Hermione agreed.

Harry and Lupin both rolled their eyes.

"Whatever," Tonks said linking her arm in Lupin's. "It worked, didn't it? The two of you are talking again."

"Yes well, it seems we have a wedding to help plan," Lupin replied.

Hermione grinned. "Yes, we do."

"We should tell Lavender," Harry said.

Hermione's smile faltered a bit. She hadn't told her friend about the new job or about leaving the program.

"We'll leave you to it," Tonks said. "Congratulations."

"Thanks," Harry said. "I guess I'll see you in three weeks."

Lupin nodded and he and Tonks headed away.

"I should go pack up my things," Hermione said. "And write my resignation."

"Do you want me to go with?" Harry asked.

"Sure," Hermione answered.

Harry felt considerably better now that he and Lupin had their talk.

Hermione took his hand. "So... will I be coming home with you then?"

"I thought that was the plan," Harry said. "Unless you think it's too soon to move in together, that is."

Hermione shook her head. "It's not too soon at all."

"You want to stay at the flat or the house?" Harry asked.

"We should probably stay at the flat while we fix up the house," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Dobby will love it when he finds out we're going to move in there someday," Harry said.

"I can't wait to tell him," Hermione put her arms around him.

"He'll probably want to plan the wedding," Harry said shuddering at the thought.

Hermione laughed. "He'll have to get in line behind Lavender."

"Could you imagine if the two of them teamed up?" Harry asked, as they walked down the corridor toward Hermione's room.

"That I don't want to think about," Hermione sobered as they approached the bedroom.

Lavender was sitting on her bed reading when they walked into the room.

"Hey," Hermione said as they came in.

"What happened?" Lavender asked.

"I was suspended for three weeks," Harry said.

"And you?" Lavender looked at her friend.

"I'm dropping out of the program," Hermione said. She held up her hand when Lavender opened her mouth to say something. "Willingly dropping out."

"But you're top of the class," Lavender protested.

"I know, but I don't think this is what I was meant to do for the rest of my life," Hermione said.

"I don't understand," Lavender put her book aside. "Just a few days ago this career was fine for you."

"I've actually been thinking about this since we came back from Romania," Hermione told her. "I didn't tell anyone, not you, not Harry."

"Oh," Lavender replied softly.

Hermione stepped closer to her friend. "I'll still help you any way that I can. I'll be working here at the Ministry so we can still see each other."

"You will?" Lavender asked. "Really?"

"Of course," Hermione replied. "We're best friends, remember?"

Lavender rushed over and hugged her. "Absolutely."

"And we'll definitely stay in touch because I need help planning my wedding," Hermione said with a grin.

"You scared me half to death," Lavender said. "I was really---wedding?"

"We're getting married," Hermione looked back at Harry with a grin.

Lavender let out an eardrum shattering squeal when she saw the ring on Hermione's finger. "Ooooooooh!"

"Ow," Harry covered his ears.

"When? Where? What are you going to wear?" Lavender asked eagerly.

"That's where you come in," Hermione said. "There's no way I could pull this off without you."

"She cannot let this interfere with the program," Harry said. "You've shown great improvement, Lavender, but you have to stay on top of this."

Lavender nodded. "I will. I've never been more serious about anything before."

"You're going to be brilliant," Hermione said. "You saved my life and for that, I'll be forever grateful."

Lavender hugged her. "I wrote to Charlie and told him all about it. He told me he's so proud of me and can't wait to celebrate!"

"I knew he would be," Hermione said smiling at her friend. "And---and I really do hope that you'll forgive Padma for what happened." Hermione looked at Harry. "Both of you."

Lavender shrugged. "She caused a lot of trouble."

"Yes, she did, but I think she's genuine when she says that she's sorry," Hermione said. "Just....give her a chance. She's hurting, too. She loved Parvati just like you did."

Harry nodded. "All right."

"I'll try," Lavender relented.

"Thank you," Hermione said, relieved. "Well... I guess I should start packing my things."

"You're moving in together then?" Lavender asked.

Hermione looked at Harry. "Yes."

"Well, you realise that you're new roommate probably snores, leaves the toilet seat up, is moody and has a very strange head of hair," Lavender said.

Hermione laughed as Harry glared at Lavender. "It's part of his charm."

"Love really is blind," Lavender laughed.

"I heard that's what Charlie Weasley says," Harry replied innocently.

"Very funny," Lavender said punching him in the arm.

Hermione shook her head as she began pulling things out of the small closet.

"Does this mean I'll have my own room?" Lavender asked Harry.

"Nice try," Harry said. "But you'll probably get a new roommate."

"Bother," Lavender crossed her arms. "Why?"

"There have been some other drop outs," Harry told her. "I imagine you'll get someone from the other training group."

"Of you could room with Eloise," Hermione suggested.

"I suppose that could be fun," Lavender shrugged. "But still, my own room would be so beneficial to me."

"We'll see," Harry said with a grin.

With Lavender's help, Hermione was able to pack her things quickly.

"I guess this is it," Hermione said.

Lavender threw her arms around her again. "This won't be the same without you!"

Hermione felt tears in her eyes as she hugged her friend. "We're still going to be friends, Lavender. I promise."

"Best friends," the blonde corrected. "Even if you're with Mr. Moody over there."

Hermione didn't have to turn around to know that Harry was probably scowling at that. "We're going to go on holiday so it might be awhile before we see each other."

"Sounds nice," Lavender said wistfully. "Have a good time."

"We will," Harry said, giving Lavender a hug before taking one of Hermione's bags. "Take care of yourself, Lav."

"I'm going to know more than you by the time you get back," Lavender gestured to the stack of books on her bed.

Harry grinned. "I look forward to seeing that in class."

They left the Ministry, hand in hand. "This feels good," Hermione said.

"It's not going to always be like this," Harry cautioned her. "When the press finds out..."

"We'll deal with it," she finished. "I don't care."

Harry squeezed her hand. "I love you. You make me happier than I've ever been."

"Same here," she said, giving him a kiss.

"Let's go home," he said softly.

"Home sounds good to me," Hermione agreed.