Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

More action this chapter- we hope you enjoy it!

Ernie was headed back to the Ministry, quite pleased with himself. That bitch Padma had another thing coming if she would ever think she was on the same wave as her sister.

She'd actually thought she was fooling him? He wished he could have snapped a picture of her face when she found out her plan wasn't working.

And Granger- she'd all but confessed that she was in love with that bastard Potter.

Potter. All of this was his fault. If it wasn't for Potter, Parvati would still be here.

Humming to himself, he headed into the cafeteria to look for Justin.

To his dismay, his best friend wasn't alone. As always, Eloise Midgen was by his side. What the hell was wrong with Justin?

Midgen, he thought with a sneer. She really wasn't any good for his friend.

Eloise caught his eye and nudged Justin who turned around in his seat.

"Hey mate," Justin said. "Where were you all night?"

"In the pub," Ernie replied. "I came to pack up my things."

"Right," Justin said glumly.

Ernie glared at Eloise. "What are you looking at?"

"Absolutely nothing," Eloise answered coolly, refusing to let him intimidate her.

"I still think you might be able to turn things around," Justin told him. "You haven't been yourself..."

"It's Potter's fault," Ernie snapped.

"That's a nasty scratch you have on your cheek," Eloise commented. "How'd that happen?"

"Don't worry about it Midgen." Ernie said shortly.

Ron Weasley came over to the group looking more than a little concerned. "We're needed in headquarters."

"What's going on?" Eloise asked.

"Hermione Granger and Padma Patil are missing," Ron told them. "No one's seen either of them since earlier today."

Justin couldn't help but notice Ernie's smug grin before he hastily hid it.

"What are you doing here?" Ron asked Ernie. "I thought they kicked your arse out."

"Just getting my things, Weasel," Ernie glared at him. "Not that it's any concern of yours."

Ron glared at him. "Good riddance to bad rubbish if you ask me."

Ernie shoved a chair aside. "You son of a bitch--"

Justin held him back just in time. "Ernie, come on!"

Ron sneered at him. "If I didn't know any better I'd say you had a part in Hermione and Padma's disappearance."

"News flash for you, Weasley," Ernie retorted. "I have better things to do with my time than worry about where Potter's whore is."

This time no one could stop Ron from smashing his fist into Ernie's face.

Ernie fell back against the wall.

"You bastard," he wheezed, holding his nose which was bleeding profusely.

"You deserved it," Eloise said. "Insinuating that Harry---"

"You shut the hell up, you bitch," Ernie spat at her.

Justin advanced on his friend. "Hey! Don't talk to her like that!"

"Some friend you are," Ernie glared at him. "Taking up for that slag."

"You're making it very hard for me to remember why we're friends," Justin retorted angrily. "Don't. Ever. Talk. About. Her. Like. That."

"Get out of here," Ron shoved him. "You're no longer allowed in this building."

Ernie angrily got to his feet. "I must have missed the election. Are you the Minister?"

"To you? Yes," Ron answered sarcastically. "We have more important things to look after than you."

"Fine," Ernie said stalking out of the cafeteria.

"Bastard," Ron muttered darkly. "Come on. We need to get upstairs."

"Right," Eloise said. She looked at her boyfriend. "Justin?"

"Coming," he said, taking her hand.

"He was asking for it, mate," Ron told Justin.

"I know he was," Justin said grimly. "And he crossed the line when he insulted my girlfriend."

Eloise squeezed his hand. "Thank you for defending my honour."

Justin sent her a half smile. He still couldn't get that image of Ernie's smug smile out of his head when Ron had mentioned that Hermione and Padma were missing.

They followed Ron upstairs where everyone was meeting for the search.

Ron noticed Harry immediately. His best friend was pacing across the room, a panicked look on his face.

"I'll---I'll be right back," Ron told Justin and Eloise.

"Mate," Ron said in a low voice. "You've got to pull it together."

"It's happening again," Harry said quietly.

"No it's not," Ron said. "It's not."

"I can't lose her," Harry said running his hand nervously through his hair.

"You won't," Ron said. "Harry... you can't let yourself fall apart now. She needs you."

Harry nodded. "I know."

Lupin interrupted. "Harry, I thought you could address the others. Let them know what we know so far."

Harry nodded again. "We know that Hermione Granger and Padma Patil were going to attend the lecture last night on House Elf rights. Neither of them showed up."

"Do you think it might be Death Eaters?" one of the Aurors asked.

"I don't see how it could be," Harry answered. "They were both in this building."

"Do either of the two girls have any known enemies?" another one asked.

"Not that we've seen," Harry answered, flicking his wand around in his hand.

Justin was wondering if he should say something about his suspicions concerning his best friend.

"So we're asking anyone with information to come forward," Lupin finished.

Justin looked over at Eloise who nodded encouragingly at him.

"Sir?" Justin called out, raising his hand.

"Yes Justin," Lupin nodded.

Justin stood up. "I-I think Ernie Macmillan might have had something to do with the disappearance."

Harry's jaw tightened at the mention of the name.

"Go on, Justin." Lupin said.

"I'm sure everyone heard about what happened yesterday," Justin continued. "The truth is, he's not really been himself for quite some time. I just saw him a few minutes ago in the cafeteria. He was acting kind of strange and he had a scratch on his cheek."

"We'll check it out," Lupin nodded. "Thank you."

Justin nodded gravely and sat back down.

"I know that wasn't easy," Eloise said reaching for his hand.

Justin shook his head. "Ernie's not the same bloke he used to be."

"I'm proud of you just the same," Eloise whispered.

"Thanks," Justin squeezed her hand.

"We're going to divide you up into teams of two," Lupin told them. "You've each been assigned an area to search."

Even though Ron didn't want to be an Auror anymore, he'd do anything to help his friend find Hermione. He stood when his name was called.

"Weasley, you're going with Potter," Kingsley Shacklebolt announced.

Ron nodded and moved towards Harry.

"I think Justin's on to something with Ernie," Ron said before telling Harry what had transpired in the cafeteria.

"If he did something to her... to either of them..." Harry flexed his fist. "I'll kill him."

"They're going to be okay," Ron said reassuringly.

Harry was silent a moment. "I think Lupin suspects something."

"About you and Hermione?" Ron asked.

"Yeah," Harry said.

"What makes you say that?" Ron asked.

"Just the looks he was giving me in there," Harry said. "I don't care. I don't care if I'm sacked."

"Don't worry about any of that now," Ron told him. "We'll find them both and then you can worry about it. If all else fails, you know Fred and George would hire you at the joke shop."

Harry half smiled. "There's an offer I couldn't refuse."

"Let's go," Ron said looking at the slip of parchment that listed their assigned area.

Harry nodded. "Right."

In the hotel room, Padma and Hermione were both pacing in the small warded space. They were trying to come up with some way to get out of the room when Ernie suddenly stalked into the room, slamming the door behind him.

Both women huddled back on the bed, scared of the wild, crazy look in his eyes.

"Stop snivelling," Ernie muttered.

"Harry's going to find us," Hermione said, narrowing her eyes. "You can't keep us in here forever."

"They obviously know we're missing by now," Padma chimed in.

"Maybe they do," Ernie smirked. "Maybe they don't. Shut the hell up."

"What's your big plan?" Hermione asked him. "Hmm?"

"You don't need to know, Granger." Ernie sneered, grabbing a tissue.

"Something happened," Padma whispered to Hermione.

Hermione nodded. "Have a little run in, did you?"

"If you don't show up, I'll make you shut up," Ernie said getting up and walking into the bathroom.

"I wonder if he ran into Harry." Hermione whispered to Padma.

"Something tells me if he'd run into Harry, he wouldn't have come back here," Padma replied in a hushed tone.

"Perhaps not," Hermione said with a sigh. "I hate this. I hate sitting in here."

"Me too," Padma agreed. "But he's a loose cannon, Hermione."

"Which is why we need to get out of here," Hermione sat back up.

"How?" Padma whispered.

"I keep trying to think of a way, but he's one step ahead of me," Hermione answered.

"What about that wandless magic?" Padma whispered.

"It's not going to break down a ward," Hermione said.

"Could you use it to do something inside the ward?" Padma asked. "I mean--something that might alert someone else that we're here."

Hermione thought for a moment. "Padma..."

"Yes?" Padma whispered keeping an eye out for Ernie.

"You are brilliant," Hermione said, touching the ring she wore around her neck.

"What are you doing?" Padma asked.

Hermione closed her eyes tightly as she gripped her ring tightly in her hand. She whispered words over and over again that Padma couldn't hear.

Padma was curious to know what Hermione was doing, but she wasn't going to say anything to alert Ernie.

A moment later, Hermione opened her eyes, and her fist. The ring had disappeared.

Hermione grinned. It had worked.

"What did you do?" Padma asked in awe.

"I broke through the barrier," Hermione laid back against the pillow. The wandless magic exhausted her.

"Where did your ring go?" Padma asked.

"To Harry," Hermione revealed. "If it worked, it should help lead him to us."

"You're brilliant," Padma whispered excitedly.

"You had the idea," Hermione reached over and squeezed her hand weakly.

"We're a good team," Padma said just as Ernie came back into the room.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" he snapped at Hermione.

"Give her a break," Padma told him. "She's still recovering from those spells you hit her with, Ernie!"

"They weren't that bad," Ernie smirked.

"Try being on the receiving end and then talk to me," Padma said sarcastically.

"You shut up," Ernie said. "Or I'll--"

"I just need to rest," Hermione interjected weakly. "I'm sure you don't have any problem with that? That way you'll know I'll be quiet."

"For once," Ernie grumbled.

"Thank you," Hermione said closing her eyes.

Padma twisted her hands together nervously. She really hoped Hermione's plan would work. The way Ernie was looking at the two of them really frightened her, and she hated not knowing what he had in store for them.

Ernie sat down on the other side of the room. He had to think about what his next move would be.

He wanted nothing more than to make Potter suffer to the fullest extent. Simply dropping these two off somewhere and leaving them would do no good. It had to be something more drastic.

Harry and Ron were currently walking through Diagon Alley. Due to the late hour, the place was nearly deserted.

Ron was hungry, but he didn't say anything. For once, food could wait.

"Nothing," Harry raked his hands through his hair.

Ron looked over his shoulder as one of the shopkeepers was closing up for the night. He walked over to ask the man if he had seen Padma or Hermione. Harry put his hands in his pockets and was surprised to pull out a ring. The very same ring he'd given Hermione for Christmas.

"What the..." he muttered, looking at it closer. How had this gotten into his pocket?

"He hasn't seen anything, but he said he'd keep his eyes open," Ron said as he joined Harry. "Mate?"

"This was in my pocket," Harry said, showing the ring to Ron. "I gave this to Hermione for Christmas."

"Did she leave it behind at your place or something?" Ron asked.

"No," Harry shook his head. "She's been wearing it around her neck since the day I gave it to her. It just appeared in my pocket."

Ron looked quizzically at him. "Well, how did you--she couldn't have---could she?"

Harry remembered a lesson he'd taught them near the beginning of the term. "She sent this to me to help find her."

A slow grin spread across Ron's face. "That's one brilliant girlfriend you have there, Harry."

"She sure is," Harry agreed. "Come on. I bet we can trace this to her."

Ron nodded. "Let's go."

They rushed back to the Ministry, hoping Lupin would still be there.

Luckily, they found him in his office going over some things with Tonks and Kingsley Shacklebolt.

Harry realised what telling Lupin meant. It meant his relationship to Hermione was about to go public.

But, he knew that none of that mattered now. The important thing was finding her and Padma and making sure they were safe.

"Sir," Harry said hurrying into the room. "I know how we can find Hermione and Padma."

Lupin looked up in surprise. "You do?"

Harry held out his hand with the ring sitting in his palm. "Hermione used a spell to send this to me."

"How would you know that was her ring, Harry?" Kingsley asked.

"Because I gave it to her," Harry admitted.

Tonks' eyes grew large. "Why did you give her a ring?"

Harry swallowed. "We're in love."

Kingsley's expression was one of surprise, but Lupin's was unreadable.

"We can put a trace on this," Harry insisted. "I taught them a spell on how to transfer items from a warded room so a person can be found."

Tonks took the ring from him. "I can do that now."

Harry again glanced at Lupin.

Lupin looked away. "Nymphadora, please let us know what you find out."

"Right away," Tonks hurried out of the room with the ring.

"Mr. Weasley, would you mind leaving us alone with Mr. Potter?" Kingsley said to Ron.

"Sure," Ron gave his friend a sympathetic look. "I'll see if Tonks needs any help."

"Thank you," Kingsley said shutting the door behind Ron.

"Sit," Lupin said, still not looking at Harry.

Harry did as he was told, folding his hands in his lap.

"How long have you been involved with Miss Granger?" Kingsley asked.

"Since classes started," Harry replied.

If Lupin was surprised at this, he didn't let on. Harry wished he would say something. Silence was worse, much, much worse.

"You do understand that you've broken the rules?" Kingsley asked him.

"Yes," Harry answered.

"Remus and I will discuss this further after Miss Granger and Miss Patil are found," Kingsley told him.

"I understand," Harry said. "I'm... I'm sorry. It just happened."

"These things don't just happen," Lupin said quietly.

"Remus--" Harry began.

"Not now," Lupin cut him off. "The important thing is finding these two girls."

Harry nodded. He hated that Remus was ticked off at him.

Tonks knocked on the door just then and Kingsley called out for her to enter.

"I traced the ring to a Muggle hotel," Tonks told them. "The Westbury Mayfair. Room 1212, to be exact."

"Let's go," Harry said immediately, jumping to his feet.

Ron could feel the tension in the room and he was curious as to what had happened, but he was sure he'd find out later.

Harry could hardly control himself as Lupin called back Lavender, Eloise and Justin.

If Ernie Macmillan did have her and he'd hurt even one hair on her head, Harry didn't know what he'd do.

"I wonder what she's doing there?" Lavender asked once they'd all gathered and Lupin was making plans.

"Maybe whoever has her thinks that a Muggle hotel would be the best place to hold her," another trainee replied.

"Good thinking," Lupin said tersely.

"Please remember that this is a Muggle hotel," Kingsley announced, his eyes falling on Harry. "We do not want to do anything to draw attention to what we are and why we are there."

"Just get in, we'll get Hermione and Padma, and figure the rest out later," Lupin said.

"It's amazing how they were able to find out where they were," Lavender whispered to Ron.

"I know," Ron agreed.

"I just hope they're both okay," Lavender said.

"Me too," Ron said. "And if Ernie does have something to do with this, Merlin help him. Harry's going to have his ass."

Lavender nodded and caught sight of their instructor who was sitting stone-faced.

"Harry, you take Ron, Eloise and Justin and head up the back of the hotel," Remus instructed coolly. "The rest of us will approach the front."

"Do you think that's wise, sir?" Harry questioned. "I'd rather do this---"

"That's this way this is going to be done," Lupin snapped at him. "You're welcome to stay behind if you don't want to follow orders!"

Everyone grew silent at this. They had never seen Remus Lupin act like this toward anyone before, least of all Harry.

"Let's go," Kingsley said.

Eloise looked over at Justin. "Are you sure that you're up for this?"

Justin nodded. "I have to be."

The group arrived outside the hotel and split up just as Lupin had instructed. Harry led Eloise and Justin in first.

"Follow me closely," he ordered.

Eloise nodded. She wanted to help save her friend, but she was also nervous about what they would find in Room 1212.

"I hope they're okay," she whispered to Justin as she nervously took his hand.

"For his sake, they'd better be," Harry muttered, having heard what Eloise had said.

Justin was still upset that Ernie had most likely gone to these lengths to kidnap Hermione and Padma. He knew his friend had harboured feelings for Parvati, but hadn't known they ran this deeply.

Harry led them through the employee's entrance in the back. "The service lifts should be just around the corner."

Ron drew his wand as he stayed behind Harry, who was nearly crackling with magic.

"Put it away," Harry hissed as a waiter came around the corner pushing a cart of food. Ron did as Harry requested and then his mouth positively watered as he saw what was on that tray. "C-chocolate cheesecake."

"Ron," Justin poked him in the back.

"Sorry," Ron muttered, giving one last longing look at the cart when the waiter passed them. "I haven't eaten since this morning."

"We'll get you something later," Harry said sarcastically. "Control it for now."

"Sorry," Ron said again as he pushed the call button for the lift.

Harry muttered a few unintelligible words as the lift slowly creaked it's way to them. "Bloody hell..."

It seemed like an eternity, but finally the lift pinged open and the four of them stepped inside. Eloise pushed the button for the 12th floor. "This is it."

"Wands out," Harry said. "And be careful. If this is Macmillan, there's no telling what he could do."

"Right," Justin said. A part of him held out hope that it wasn't his friend.

Eloise knocked on the room of the door. "Housekeeping," she called out.

"Bloody hell," they heard Ernie call out from the other side of the door. "Go away. It's late."

"Um... fresh towels sir," Eloise said quickly.

"Leave them by the door," Ernie called back after a moment.

Eloise looked at Justin. "They... have to be signed for, sir."

Ernie turned on the bedside lamp and looked over at Padma and Hermione. The ward was sound proof so there was no chance they would be heard even if they screamed their lungs out.

"You two stay quiet," he said menacingly. "Or I'll kill you both now."

Ernie looked through the peephole and saw a woman standing outside the door. Her face was obscured by a stack of towels and linens.

"One second," he snapped. "Coming a bit late, aren't you?"

"You asked us to come back later," Eloise said, thinking fast. "We wanted to make sure you had fresh towels, sir. Nothing but the best for our guests."

"Whatever," Ernie yanked the door open.

Eloise threw the towels in his face.

"Hey!" Ernie's voice was muffled as Harry shoved him into the room.

"You son-of-a-bitch!" Harry said pushing him against the wall.

"Fuck... you..." Ernie said as Harry's hands closed around his throat.

"I can't get the wards down!" Eloise shouted.

"Take them down," Harry snarled as Lupin, Kingsley, and the rest of them burst in.

"Not a chance," Ernie retorted. "How does it feel to have something you love so close, but you're unable to touch it?"

"I'm going to kill you," Harry growled.

"Let him go, Harry!" Lupin ordered.

Harry didn't respond.

He tightened his grip on Ernie's neck. "Take. The. Wards. Down. Now."

"HARRY!" Lupin roared. "LET HIM GO!"

"He's not worth it, Harry," Hermione called out.

Harry instantly let him go. "Hermione?"

Kingsley and Lupin bound Ernie's hands.

"Harry," Hermione said tears welling up in her eyes.

Harry rushed over and pulled her into his arms.

"Did he hurt you?" Harry asked holding her tightly.

Hermione shook her head. "You found us..."

"Thanks to you," Harry said, resting his forehead against hers as he unbound her wrists.

Eloise's jaw dropped as she watched the two of them. Were they really a couple?

Ron helped Padma sit up. "You all right?" he asked her.

Padma nodded. "Just very happy that you found us."

"Good," Ron said.

Ernie looked at Kingsley. "You see? He was playing all of us the whole time! And he's just going to get away with it?"

"What's going to happen to Mr. Potter is none of your concern, Ernie." Kingsley said.

"Take him out of here," Lupin ordered Tonks.

"With pleasure," Tonks said, grabbing Ernie's wrists.

Tonks pushed him out of the room and Harry made a move for Hermione. But, Lupin apparently had other ideas. "Miss Patil and Miss Granger will have to give statements."

"Of course," Padma nodded.

"I'll take them," Kingsley said. "Ladies..."

Harry watched as Hermione was led from the room. He could hardly look over at Lupin, who was directing some of the other Aurors to sweep the room.

"Miss Brown, Miss Midgen?" Lupin said. "How about you two go with Kingsley to see how you take a statement?"

"Yes sir," the two girls both nodded and headed out of the room to follow Tonks, Ernie and Kingsley.

Tonks was holding on to Ernie's arm and walking him toward the lift. She knew they had to be careful because this was a Muggle hotel.

"Watch it," she told him. "You don't want to cause any more problems than you already have."

A hotel housekeeper turned the corridor and Tonks quickly pocketed her wand.

Ernie saw his opportunity and took it. He twisted Tonks's arm, grabbing her wand, and aimed it directly at Hermione.

"CRUCIO!" Ernie yelled.