Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

Enjoy, and please review!

"Parvati?" Lavender asked, taken aback.

"I don't know how," Harry said. "And it couldn't have been Padma... she doesn't have access to our part of the building."

"It was probably just your mind playing tricks on you," Lavender said thoughtfully.

"I don't know," Harry said. "I saw her, and I heard her. Three times I heard her talk to me."

"I think you might have a guilty conscience," Lavender said gently. "I mean you and Parvati were in love and her life was cut short. Now, you're in love with someone else..."

Harry nodded. "Maybe..."

"Was that the reason you were acting like a wanker in class?" Lavender asked. "Sorry, but you were horrid."

"I know," Harry said. "Sorry."

"Well, now that you told me what happened, it's kind of understandable," Lavender said. "I'm sure it's nothing, Harry."

"If you see anything... you'll let me know, right?" Harry asked, standing up.

"Absolutely," Lavender promised.

In the queue, Hermione was thinking about what she wanted for breakfast when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see Padma Patil smiling at her.

"Hello, Hermione," Padma said politely. "I haven't seen you since before the holidays. How are you?"

"Good," Hermione said. "How are you? Did you read those essays I had sent to your office?"

Padma nodded. "They were very informative. I love Stansilov's work. He really understands the plight of the house elf."

"He really does," Hermione said. "His work is what made me interested in house elf rights to begin with."

"Me too," Padma said. "You know he's speaking here next month at the Wizengamot. I was going to invite you..."

"Really?" Hermione asked excitedly. "He's coming here?"

Padma nodded. "I helped prepare the press release this morning. If you want, I can save you a seat."

"I would love that," Hermione said. "Thank you so much Padma."

"You're quite welcome," Padma said feeling a twinge of guilt. But, this had nothing to do with Ernie's plan. When she'd started writing the press release and saw whom the speaker was going to be, she'd immediately thought of Hermione. Despite herself, she really liked the other girl.

"This will be fantastic," Hermione said. "I wonder if we'll get the chance to speak to him."

Padma laughed. "We're not going to let him get away that easily, are we?"

"No way," Hermione shook her head.

"I'll send a copy of the press release to you so you'll have the details," Padma said.

"That would be lovely," Hermione said as they moved forward in line.

"I remember when I read Stanislov's first article," Padma said. "I was in my fifth year at Hogwarts. I couldn't believe that I hadn't noticed before all that they did and for no pay. That Christmas, I told my parents I would never speak to them again unless they gave Timmons, our house elf, clothes. Parvati thought I was going a little overboard..."

Hermione nodded. "Everyone at Beauxbatons thought I had gone mad when I demanded the Headmistress pay the elves."

"No one understood," Padma said. "It's a shame you didn't go to Hogwarts. We could have made quite a difference together."

"I think we definitely could have," Hermione paid for her food.

Padma paid for hers, too. "Well, I'm going to take this back upstairs to my office. It was really great running into you again, Hermione. "

"You too," Hermione said. "Take care Padma."

Padma passed Harry on the way out and tried to ignore him as he looked in her direction. She'd pinned her hair back like she normally did.

She didn't notice Ernie also watching her from the opposite end of the cafeteria. He was disappointed that she'd changed so she didn't look like her sister as much.

He closed his eyes and remembered how she'd looked that morning in her sister's old clothes and with her hair long and flowing.

If Parvati had only agreed to date him, she'd still be alive today.

With Padma though he could have the next best thing, he thought with a grin. Once they'd ruined Potter's life and career, they could start a life together. He would convince her to let her hair down and be more outgoing like her sister.

With that thought in mind, Ernie left the cafeteria, but not without glaring in Potter's direction.

Harry rolled his eyes. Macmillan was on a very thin thread as it was. He didn't need to go pushing it. Harry grabbed a cup of coffee and a scone and headed over to where Ron was sitting.

"Sorry about earlier," Harry said sitting down.

"Earlier when you acted like Snape's less nicer brother?" Ron asked sarcastically. "Is that what you mean?"

"Yeah," Harry said. "I was a real arse."

"Too right you were," Ron said moving to shut his notebook. He'd tried to write up some things about the cafeteria food to see how his writing skills were. Not that he was going to take that job with Luna's father at the paper or anything. This was just something he was doing as a lark.

Harry nodded. "You're my best mate. Sometimes I think I forget that."

"Sometimes you do," Ron agreed. "But it's okay. I mean you are the teacher. Sometimes I forget that."

Harry nodded. "So what were you writing about?"

Ron looked sheepishly at him. "Food."

Harry grinned. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Write what you know, right?" Ron asked with a laugh.

Harry nodded. "And aside from Luna, that's the best thing you know."

Ron grinned as he thought about his girlfriend. "She's the best thing in my life, Harry."

"I know the feeling," Harry looked furtively over at Hermione.

"Luna's dad is starting a food column for his paper," Ron told Harry. "They're looking for a food critic. Luna---Luna thinks I might be perfect for the job."

"You planning on fighting crime and bad food at the same time?" Harry asked. "You're going to have your hands full, Ron."

"Yeah," Ron forced a laugh. "Plate full, just how I like it."

"Seriously though," Harry said. "There's no way you could do both, Ron."

"I know that," Ron said, a bit testily. "I'll figure it out."

Harry noticed his friend's tone so he backed off. "So, your mum still speaking to me after my no-show?"

"Are you kidding?" Ron asked. "She was worried about you the whole holiday."

"She shouldn't have been," Harry said. "I was fine. Better than fine."

"I'm sure you were." Ron answered.

"I need to owl Neville and apologise for that crap article in the paper about Ginny and me reuniting," Harry commented.

"He knows it's rubbish," Ron answered. "My sister's mad about him."

"They're much more suited than she and I ever were," Harry said.

"That whole situation was weird," Ron replied.

Harry nodded. "It came out of nowhere. But, it's in the past. I'm glad she's got Neville."

Ron nodded. "He's a good bloke for her."

"Just like you are for Luna," Harry said. "You had a good holiday, right?"

"I really did," Ron answered. "New Year's Eve was the greatest."

"Yeah?" Harry asked. "You're not going to give me details, are you?"

Ron grinned. "Do I need to?"

Harry vehemently shook his head. "No."

"Well I'll see you back upstairs," Ron said. "In a better mood, thankfully."

"Yes," Harry said. "Much better."

Harry looked around and realised most of his class was back upstairs. He gathered his things and headed out of the cafeteria.

Lavender was probably right. There was no way he could be actually seeing Parvati. She was gone and she wasn't coming back.

A smile came to his face when he thought of Hermione. She was his future, the woman he wanted to be with. Harry knew he was lucky to have found her.

They were going to start a family when this was all said and done. He'd never imagined he'd ever reach that point in his life. But with her, it all seemed possible.

*** *** ***

Remus Lupin waited in the meeting room for his teachers to arrive. He'd received a letter that morning and it was serious enough that he needed to bring it to attention.

Tonks arrived first. Even though she wasn't an active instructor now, she was expected to start teaching next term. "Wotcher, Remus!"

He couldn't stop his smile. "Hey there, you."

She smiled back at him. "You do remember we're going to the concert tonight, right?"

"I remember," Remus replied.

"The Weird Sisters are a great band," Tonks said. "And you are going to have a good time."

"Of course," Remus said. "I'll be the oldest one there."

"No, you won't," Tonks said.

"Want to wager on that?" Remus asked.

"Absolutely," Tonks said with a grin. "What are the stakes?"

"Hmm..." Remus said. "If I'm the oldest one there, you'll do anything I ask for one night. "If I'm not the oldest one, I'll do whatever YOU want."

Tonks grinned wider. "Deal."

Remus had a hard time not kissing her to seal the bet, but as he moved towards her, people started coming into the room.

"Later," Tonks promised.

"You'd better believe it," Remus replied.

Tonks took her seat and stared dreamily back at Lupin.

Lupin cleared his throat. "Thank you all for coming on such short notice," he began.

"What's this about, Remus?" Harry asked.

"I received a letter this morning," Remus said. "From a student. I don't know who, but he or she alluded to the teacher/student line being severely crossed."

"Crossed how?" Tonks asked. Other instructors started asking questions as well. Remus held up his hand. "I'll read the letter to you then, shall I?"

Harry nodded. "Read it," he said, trying to control his fear. He somehow knew that letter had been written about him and Hermione.

"Professor Lupin," Remus read aloud. "I write to you today as a concerned student. I know you believe in fairness and equality. Because of that, I think you should be made aware of something."

Tonks glanced around as Remus read the letter. She tried to determine who it had possibly written about.

"I think that one of your instructors might be involved romantically with one of my fellow students," Lupin continued.

"Wait a minute," one of the professors said. "I'm not involved with any of my students!"

Tonks looked at Harry, who was sitting beside her. "I don't think any of his students would want to be involved with him," she whispered. "He's nearly 100."

Harry snorted, but didn't respond.

"The letter doesn't name names," Remus reiterated. "I just thought that I would talk to you all about this. If one of you has crossed the line, I ask you to pull back. This is your career on the line not to mention the future of that student."

Harry had to struggle not to look away in guilt.

"And before any of you ask," Remus said. "There is no such law against fellow Aurors dating given that they do not let it interfere in their job. That is because two Aurors are on equal footing. But, a teacher and student---that is a different story altogether."

"Why is it so forbidden?" another professor asked. "Just out of curiosity, of course."

Remus looked out at the group. "You are their superior. You are in a position of authority. You should not engage in any activity with a student that crosses a line. I know this is hard for you, especially, Harry."

Harry's eyes grew large.

"Just last year, Harry was in school with most of his trainees," Remus explained.

"So it's probably him, then," a professor said.

Tonks glared at him. "Of course, it's not!"

"He's the youngest out of all of us," the man pointed out. "With the most temptation."

Remus held up his hand. "I didn't call this meeting and divulge the contents of that letter so you lot would hurl accusations at each other. No one's accusing anyone of anything here. I'm just asking you all to be careful."

"I'm already careful," another professor stood up. "I resent being accused otherwise."

"Hathaway, no one's accusing you of anything!" Remus shot back.

"Good," Hathaway snapped as he left the room.

Remus sighed. "Just everyone...be careful. That's...that's all."

Harry slowly stood up, feeling depressed. Why did someone always have to come along to ruin his happiness?

"Hathaway was a little too defensive, don't you think?" Tonks asked Harry.

"Yeah," Harry answered. "Sure was..."

"You'll be happy to know that Remus and I are using your concert tickets tonight," Tonks told him.

Harry half smiled. "I hope you two have fun."

"We're going to have a blast," Tonks said. "Except Remus seems to think he'll be the oldest one there."

Harry smirked. "Oh please."

"Don't give him a hard time," Tonks said. "He's sensitive enough about it as it is."

"I won't say a word," Harry answered.

"He's still a little wigged out about the age difference," Tonks said.

"He shouldn't be," Harry said. "You'll keep him young."

Tonks grinned. "That's what I tell him. Besides, when you love someone, things like that don't matter."

Harry shook his head. "Not at all."

Tonks looked at Harry. "Are you okay? You look a little pale."

"Just tired," Harry said quickly.

"You should get some sleep," Tonks said. "Don't work yourself too hard."

"I won't," Harry said. "Let me know how the concert is."

"I will," Tonks said grinning at him. She stood up and walked out of the room.

Harry looked over at Remus. "Looking forward to the concert, old man?"

"Oh yes," Remus said sarcastically. "Why couldn't I fancy a girl who prefers the symphony?"

"Because Tonks is one of a kind?" Harry asked. "And she's all yours?"

"That could be it," Remus said with a laugh.

"So..." Harry said. "That note really wasn't signed?"

Lupin shook his head. "No. I'm sorry that some of the others ganged up on you there, Harry."

Harry shrugged. "I don't care what they think."

"I know how important this job is to you," Lupin said gathering up his papers. "And I know you wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that."

"Of course not," Harry said, trying not to look as uncomfortable as he felt.

"How are your classes going?" Remus asked.

"Fine," Harry answered. "Just fine..."

"I think this is the best group of trainees we've ever had," Remus commented.

"Some of them are better than others," Harry said.

"I think Granger, Finch-Fletchley, and Midgen are at the top," Remus said.

"If Lavender Brown could concentrate, she'd be up there too," Harry said.

"I'm worried about her as well," Remus said. "She started out strong, but lately she's seemed preoccupied."

Harry nodded. "She'll need to shape up."

"I'm scheduled to talk to her in about five minutes," Remus said. "Would you like to sit in?"

"Sure," Harry said. "I could give you some input."

"Let's go then," Lupin said.

Harry stood up, grateful to have diverted the subject for now. The truth was, Lavender did need to focus on the training.

When they arrived at Remus' office, Lavender was already waiting for them.

"Hello sir." Lavender said nervously.

"Miss Brown," Remus said nodding at her. "Why don't you have a seat?"

Lavender nodded, quickly sitting down. Harry took the seat next to her.

Remus sat down at his desk and looked through her file. Lavender resisted the urge to bite her nails, which she normally did when she was nervous. "Miss Brown," Remus began.

"I'm not doing so well, am I?" she asked, biting her nail. "That's why you called me here."

"I'm afraid so," Remus replied. "In looking through your files, I came across the recommendation letter that Minerva McGonagall wrote on your behalf. She wrote about how determined you were once you put your mind to a task. She said that you were a very intelligent girl who had the capability to do what ever you set your mind to. That's the same girl that walked through these doors four months ago. But, I'm sad to say, that same girl doesn't sit before me now."

Lavender put her head down, fighting back tears.

"Lavender," Harry said. "I know you can do this. I know you've got the drive and determination to see through this training. I just don't know what happened to it."

Lavender knew exactly what had happened. Charlie Weasley.

"We want you to succeed," Lupin continued. "But you have to want this as well."

"I do," Lavender said meeting his gaze. "I want that more than anything, sir."

Lupin nodded. "Then I hope to see an improvement on your performance soon."

"You will," Lavender promised. "I'm going to buckle down and work hard."

"Good," Lupin smiled, as did Harry.

"Thank you for giving me another chance," Lavender said. "You will not regret it."

"I'll see you tomorrow morning," Harry told her.

Lavender stood up and walked out of Lupin's office. Why did this always happen to her? She wanted to apply herself. She wanted to do well, but whenever a boy entered the picture, everything seemed to revolve around him. It had been that way with Ron. It had been that way with Seamus. It had been that way with Charlie even more so given that her feelings for him were so strong.

She sighed as she rested her head against the cool stone of the corridor walls.

She knew what she had to do, but she didn't know how she would do it.

Maybe Hermione would know, she thought. Maybe Hermione could help her figure out a way out of his mess she'd put herself in.

She found her friend in the Ministry library. This all came so easily to Hermione.

"Can I talk to you?" she asked.

"Of course," Hermione said closing her book. "What's up?"

"I've just had a meeting with Lupin and Harry," Lavender said. She relayed what they had told her. "I just don't know how to balance the two."

"You can do it," Hermione reassured her. "It's quite possible."

"Not for me," Lavender said miserably.

"Focus," Hermione told her. "That's what you need to do. Focus your attention on your training. Concentrate on Charlie during the weekends."

"I've tried that," Lavender said. "I cannot stop thinking about him. Even during the meeting my thoughts were on him."

"You have to try," Hermione told her. "This is serious, Lavender. This was a warning. The second time, they might not be so willing to give you another chance."

Lavender nodded. "I just have to do what you do."

"Focus and concentration," Hermione told her. "There's a time and place for everything."

Easier said than done, Lavender thought.

"You've done this before," Hermione reassured her. "You balanced your studies at Hogwarts with a social life, right?"

"Yeah, but it was easier there," Lavender said.

"I'll help you any way that I can," Hermione promised.

"Thanks," Lavender said gratefully.

"You'll turn this around," Hermione said confidently.

"I have to," Lavender said. "This is what I want to do with my life. I can't let anything stand in my way."

"That's the spirit," Hermione said smiling at her.

"I'm going to go upstairs and get my books," Lavender said. "Would you mind helping me now?"

"Not at all," Hermione answered.

"I'll be right back," Lavender promised, quickly getting up from her seat and running out of the library.

Hermione pulled her book closer and tried to finish the chapter before Lavender came back down.

"I still can't believe the nerve of Lupin!" she heard someone saying a few tables down. Hermione looked up and recognised the wizard as one of the Auror instructors.

"It has to be Potter," the other man was saying. "He's the youngest and he was in school with half the trainees last year."

She pretended to be absorbed in her reading but kept her ears trained.

"Not as if Lupin would do anything if it was him," the man continued. "Potter's his golden boy."

"He'll always be able to get away with everything," the first man said.

"The only question is," his colleague said. "Which bird is he shagging?"

"Probably that blonde," the first man said with a harsh laugh.

"Lavender Brown, right?" the wizard chuckled. "Couldn't blame him for that. She is hot. If I were a few years younger..."

Hermione shook with anger. Had those professors absolutely ANY decency at all?

"I wonder who wrote the letter?" the other man asked.

"I'd like to find out," the first man said.

"This will probably be the last we'll hear of it," his colleague said. "Potter could shag the poor girl in front of Lupin and he wouldn't bat an eyelash."

Hermione had to refrain from slamming her book shut.

The two instructors left the library still laughing and making snide comments.

"Bastards," Hermione whispered, hoping she'd never have them as professors.

She was still fuming when Lavender came back and sat down. The blonde set her books down and looked over at Hermione. "You look like you want to take someone's head off. Is everything okay?"

Hermione shook her head. "Not really. But I don't want to talk about it here."

Lavender studied her friend for a few moments. "Um, okay. Well, I was thinking we could start with those concealment charms and work our way through to the defensive spells. Does that sound like a plan?"

"Sure," Hermione muttered distractedly.

She focused her attention though because she knew Lavender needed her help. Together, the two girls studied for the next couple of hours.

"I think I finally really understand this," Lavender said in relief.

"You can also make yourself some flashcards," Hermione recommended. "That's what I do and it's a great way to test yourself to make sure you have things down pat."

"Will you help me with that?" Lavender asked. "Please?"

"Sure," Hermione replied. "In fact, I can make copies for you of the ones I already have."

"You're the best," Lavender said gratefully. "Thanks to you, I may not have to break up with Charlie."

"Lavender, you weren't thinking of doing that, were you?" Hermione asked as the two of them headed out of the library.

"Yes," Lavender said. "I thought... if I broke up with him, perhaps I'd stop thinking about him."

"Lavender," Hermione said shaking her head. "If you broke up with him, you'd still think about him. It would probably be worse."

"I don't think it could be worse," Lavender said.

"You just need to focus your attention on your training and think about Charlie during your free time, which we have so little of," Hermione told her. "You can do this. You're very intelligent."

"You really think so?" Lavender asked.

"I know so," Hermione said smiling at her. "You wouldn't be here otherwise."

"Thanks," Lavender said. "For helping me like this. You really are my best friend."

"I've never had one of those," Hermione said. "A best friend."

"More people should realise how great you are, then." Lavender gave her a hug.

Hermione hugged her back. "Thanks, Lavender."

"At least we know Harry appreciates you," Lavender whispered.

Hermione nodded, but the mention of Harry brought back the memory of what those instructors had said in the library.

"I just know you two will work everything out over the next three years," Lavender continued quietly.

"I think so too," Hermione said. She waited until they were upstairs in the safety of their room before she told her friend what she'd overheard.

"What?" Lavender exclaimed. "But who would have sent in a letter like that?"

Hermione shrugged. "I don't know. They didn't say."

"Well maybe someone else is having an affair with a student and it had nothing to do with you and Harry." Lavender suggested.

"Maybe," Hermione replied. But, she had a feeling that was just wishful thinking on her part.

"It'll be okay," Lavender reassured her. "It has to be."

"We've been really careful," Hermione said. "No one knows we spent the Christmas hols together."

"Except me," Lavender said smugly.

"And Ron," Hermione said. "You--you don't think he would have written the letter, do you? I mean, he and I didn't get off on the right foot, but we've made an effort..."

"Ron would never do that to Harry," Lavender said.

"Macmillan?" Hermione guessed.

"HE might," Lavender made a face.

"I wouldn't put it past him," Hermione said shaking her head. "He hates Harry."

"I don't know how he would know about you two, though." Lavender replied.

Hermione put her head in her hands. "I don't know, either."

"It'll be okay," Lavender put a hand on her shoulder.

"Thanks," Hermione said.

"Apparently things with Justin and Eloise are going REALLY well," Lavender said, changing the subject.

"Oh yeah?" Hermione asked. "I know she was worried, especially with how horrid her sister usually is."

"I guess their dinner went all right, with her sister, but he completely won over her parents," Lavender reported.

Hermione grinned. "That's great!"

"I'm glad our little ploy worked at the Halloween ball," Lavender said.

"If this whole Auror thing doesn't work out, we can be matchmakers," Hermione said with a laugh.

"Wouldn't that be perfect," Lavender stretched out on her small bed.

"It's good to have a Plan B," Hermione said shaking her head.

"Especially with me," Lavender said.

"Don't talk like that, Lav," Hermione said. "You're going to turn this around."

"I really hope so," Lavender turned on her side.

"I'm going to work out before bed," Hermione said. "I'll work on those flash cards when I get back."

"I'm going to read over those chapters again," Lavender replied. "And think about Charlie... later."

Hermione smiled. "That's the spirit."

"Thanks again for all your help," Lavender said.

"Of course," Hermione said grabbing her work out clothes and trainers. "That's what friends are for."

"Have a good workout," Lavender waved her out of the room before grabbing her textbook.

Hermione headed downstairs for the gym. She changed into her workout clothes and pulled her hair back into a ponytail. There were a few trainees that she recognised from her classes in the gym.

"Do you know what I heard?" one of them asked as she headed for the weights. "I heard one of the trainers is having an affair with a trainee."

"No way," his friend replied. "Who?"

"No one knows," the first bloke said. "I heard Lupin called a meeting today to warn them all."

"I wonder who it could be," his friend replied. "This is major. I heard about something like this happening a few years ago. The instructor was sacked and the trainee...is working in some office in Russia pushing papers."

"Couldn't keep it in his trousers," the boy smirked.

Hermione glared at the two boys.

One of them saw her. "What's up, Granger?"

"Nothing," Hermione muttered.

She stalked over to one of the machines and with a flick of her wand, added some weight to it.

"Did you hear the latest?" the boy followed her.

"No, and I don't care to gossip," Hermione replied coolly.

"Shut it you guys," the other bloke hissed. "Here comes Potter."

Hermione fought to keep her face from turning red as Harry approached them.

"What are you lot up to?" Harry asked politely.

"Just working out, sir," Hermione answered.

"As am I," Harry replied.

The two boys walked away and Harry looked over at her. "Need someone to spot you?"

"I don't think that would be wise," Hermione said.

"I suppose you're right," The corner of Harry's mouth twisted down. "I guess you've heard about the meeting?"

"It's all over the Ministry," Hermione said sitting down on the bench. "It's all everyone can talk about it. Odds are that it's you and Lavender."

Harry snorted and shook his head.

"So it's probably best if you and I aren't seen alone," Hermione said in a hushed tone.

"Good idea," Harry said reluctantly.

Hermione looked at him. "Are you---are you okay?"

Harry shrugged. "As okay as I'll ever be," he said. "I'm going for a swim."

"I wish I could join you," Hermione said wistfully.

"Me too," Harry said. "I'll see you later... in class."

"Have a good swim," Hermione told him.

He nodded before heading towards the pool

Despite what Lupin said, he knew that everyone thought he was the instructor involved with a student. Someone had it out for him and obviously wanted to get back at him.

He jumped to the conclusion that it was Ernie Macmillan, but he knew he could never prove that.

He stripped down to his trunks and was glad that he was the only one swimming. He dove in and tried to block out the stress of the day.

He went back and forth across the pool at least twenty times before he stopped and floated on his back. The ceiling above him was enchanted much like the Great Hall at Hogwarts.

"Harry," a soft voice called out to him.

Parvati's voice.

He treaded water and stared all around him. "Who's there?"

Parvati's laughter echoed.

"Do you remember that time we went swimming at the Burrow?" Parvati's voice called out to him.

"Look I know you can't be Parvati," Harry said, swimming to the edge of the pool.

"We had our first fight," Parvati's voice called out. "You tried to push me away..."

Harry grabbed his towel and tried to make a quick exit for the locker room.

"Like you're doing now," she said. "Don't leave me..."

"You're NOT HERE!" he shouted.

"Don't leave me," Parvati's voice echoed around the room. "Don't leave me again."

Harry slammed the door behind him, breathing hard.

It wasn't her. It couldn't be.

Not now, when he had Hermione. He wanted to spend the rest of his life with Hermione and knew it couldn't happen if Parvati were to somehow reappear now.

There was a knock on the door and Harry turned around. "GO AWAY!"

"Harry?" Hermione called out. "Are you okay? It's me."

"You shouldn't be here," he called back.

"I heard you yelling," Hermione told him. "I was worried. Are you okay?"

"Fine," he said. "I'm fine. Just... hearing things that aren't there."

"Again?" Hermione asked looking over her shoulder to make sure no one else was in the pool area.

"Don't' worry about it," Harry said, a bit harshly. "I'll be fine. Don't get caught in here."

"Okay," Hermione said reluctantly. "I'll---I'll go."

Harry waited until he was sure she had gone before leaving the locker room.

What the hell was going on?