Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

Most of you loved the Remus/Tonks, so enjoy this one as well! Please review- and thanks for the birthday wishes last week!

"Can I assume you'd say yes if I was?" Remus flirted.

"Well," Tonks said trying to play it cool. "I would have to check my book, of course, but I might be able to squeeze you in for a dinner or breakfast or lunch or even a late-night snack."

He grinned. "Now you're just taking the Mickey."

Tonks laughed. "Maybe, but you deserve it for making me suffer these last few months."

"If I had known--" he began.

"It's okay," Tonks said touching his arm. "You're kind of focused on the job when you're here. It's easy to see how you could have missed it."

"I just might have asked earlier," he told her.

Tonks practically beamed at him. "So I guess this means we're going out on a date..."

Remus chuckled. "Yes we are."

Tonks couldn't wait to tell Harry her good news. He had been a really good friend these last few weeks listening to her and giving her a shoulder to cry on. She knew he'd be happy for her that she finally had the man of her dreams. She only wished that he too would find someone to love.

Little did she know that he had, and was currently waiting for her to meet up with him in an empty classroom.

The morning classes would be starting soon and he wanted to steal some time with her.

A few moments later, Hermione slipped into the room. "Hi," she said softly.

"Hello," Harry said smiling at her. "Good morning."

"Morning," she answered with a grin. "I come bearing breakfast."

"What did you bring for us?" Harry asked stepping closer.

"Pancakes," Hermione said. "I've found the cafeteria makes excellent pancakes."

"Yes, they do," Harry said helping her with the plates. "I missed you last night."

"I know," she said. "I missed you too."

"We have the weekend," Harry said with a grin.

"I already can't wait," Hermione gave him a kiss. "Eat up. We don't have much time before class starts."

Harry poured some maple syrup on his pancakes. "I have good news. Lupin okayed taking you lot out on your first mission."

Hermione's eyes widened. "Already?"

"It's not anything major," Harry replied. "Probably just accompanying us on some raids."

"But still," Hermione's face glowed with excitement.

"Your first mission," Harry said smiling at her.

"Is it local?" she asked.

"Probably," Harry said. "We have to work out the logistics."

Hermione nodded. "I can't wait to get out there."

"You're going to do great," Harry said. "And it shouldn't be anything too dangerous. Once we know what we're going to do and where we're going to go, you'll be able to prepare."

"What's on the agenda for today, Professor?" she asked teasingly.

Harry chuckled. "Well, Miss Granger. We'll be working more with wandless magic."

"I was hoping you'd teach us more about that soon," Hermione answered excitedly.

Harry leaned over and kissed her.

"One might think you're working a little wandless magic on me right now," Hermione said coyly when they broke apart.

"Would I do that?" Harry asked innocently.

"Oh yes," Hermione nodded. "You most certainly would."

"You taste like syrup and blueberries," Harry said softly.

"So do you," Hermione brushed her lips against his again.

As much as he wanted to take this further, he knew they only had a couple of minutes before class was scheduled to begin. Harry reluctantly pulled away.

"What are you doing tonight?" she asked.

"Hmm," Harry said thoughtfully. "I was invited to have dinner at the Burrow tonight with Ron's family."

"Oh," Hermione nodded. "It's probably good- I can catch up on some more reading."

"Molly Weasley is hard to turn down," Harry said. "And she cornered me the other day when she stopped in to see her husband. I wish I could take you with me."

"Someday," Hermione squeezed his hand.

"I imagine tonight she'll work on me for Christmas," Harry said.

"My parents wanted me to come with them to St. Moritz," Hermione answered.

"You still can," Harry said helping her clean up their breakfast dishes. "I'd understand. They are your family."

"But I want to spend that time with you," she objected. "My parents have done nothing but mock my choice of a career."

"They are still your parents," Harry said. "The only set you'll ever have."

"I know--" she began.

Harry took her hand. "I know they love you and I know you love them. Don't take them for granted, Hermione."

Hermione looked up at him, realising why he was being so insistent on this. "I'm sorry," she apologised. "You must think I'm such a brat right now."

Harry shook his head. "I'd never think that about you. I've just learned the hard way to not take the people you care about for granted."

"I'll try to remember that, but things haven't been easy," Hermione replied.

"I know," Harry said pulling her into his arms. "They'll come around."

"I really want you to meet them," Hermione buried her face in his shoulder. "Despite everything they've said, I think they'd like you."

"Someday," Harry promised.

Hermione gave him one more kiss. "I'll meet you in class," she said.

"Hermione?"

"Hmm?" she asked.

"Your parents....they don't know that I'm your professor, right?" Harry asked.

"No," she shook her head. "I just told them I was seeing someone, that's all."

"Well, what if I joined you for Christmas?" Harry asked.

"In St. Moritz?" Hermione asked.

"Sure," Harry replied. "I'm not much of a skier though."

"Neither am I," she confessed. "I just like to sit by the fire with a book and some hot chocolate."

"Do you think your parents would have a problem with you bringing a guest?" Harry asked.

"I'll ask," Hermione touched his cheek. "Harry..."

"Yes?" Harry asked.

"It just means a lot that you want to come with," she said, kissing him gently.

"I love you," Harry said. "And I want to spend Christmas with you and you should spend it with your family."

"I love you too," she said. "I'll owl them and work something out."

"Okay," Harry said. "You'd better get a move on. I'll see you in the classroom."

"Right," Hermione gathered her things while Harry cleaned up the evidence of their breakfast.

Ernie rolled his eyes when Hermione hurried into the classroom with a smug, satisfied expression on her face.

"What's eating you?" she asked coolly.

"Nothing," Ernie said forcing a smile. "Nothing at all. How are you?"

"Fine," Hermione sat down and pulled out a thick book.

"Good morning, everyone," Harry said as he stepped into the classroom.

"Morning," Hermione answered, not looking up from her book.

"I have a few quick announcements before we begin," Harry said.

Ernie sat back with a smirk. "Another weekend with dragons?"

"No, Ernie," Harry said. "As you know, one of the responsibilities you will have as an Auror will be performing raids."

"We get to go on a raid?" Justin asked eagerly.

"Yes," Harry replied. "Before you get too excited, you need to realise that this isn't your opportunity to play the hero. There are set procedures in place."

"Like what?" Ron asked.

"I'm so glad you've asked," Harry said, waving his hand. A stack of books appeared on his desk. "Each of you are to study these procedure manuals."

Ernie groaned audibly.

With another wave of his hand, the books levitated off of the desk and landed on each of the trainee's desks.

"Harry," Ron grumbled. "This whole book is about procedures?"

"Every word," Harry said. "And I want you to study it hard."

Hermione took her copy of the manual and decided she'd start reading this tonight.

"The mission will take place sometime in the next two weeks," Harry told them. "I'll know more in the next coming days. Please remember that any intelligence you receive about this mission is classified. You are not to share it with anyone outside the department. Are we clear?"

A chorus of "Yes sir," arose from everyone in the room.

"Professor Lupin also asked me to make sure that you lot turn in your essays to him no later than 5 p.m. today," Harry continued.

"Granger probably already had hers done a week ago," Ernie whispered snidely.

Ron heard this as did Hermione. "Don't let him get to you. He's a wanker, Hermione."

Hermione turned in surprise. Ron was actually being nice to her. "Um...I won't. Thank you."

Ron nodded and chanced a smile at her.

"I did actually have mine done a week ago," Hermione admitted.

"I sure could have used some help on mine," Ron answered. "It's pretty bad."

"I'm sure it's okay," Hermione reassured him. "Um...if you'd like, I could proofread it for you after class."

Ron's eyebrows shot up. "You'd do that?"

"We are partners," Hermione replied.

"Thanks," Ron said gratefully.

"It's no problem," Hermione said.

"Are you two quite done with your conversation?" Harry asked, pretending to be stern. He was actually relieved to see Ron and Hermione not arguing for a change.

"Yes, sir," Hermione replied.

"Good," Harry said, turning back to his desk.

"We haven't worked on our wandless magic techniques in awhile," Harry said. "I was thinking today we'd go over what we'd learned so far and take it a step further. Can I have a volunteer?"

Lavender raised her hand. "I'll give it a go."

"Great," Harry nodded. "I'd like you to make this chair move from here, to over here, without your wand."

Lavender left her wand on her desk and stood up. She took a deep breath and cleared her mind.

"Concentrate," Harry told her.

Lavender opened her eyes and waved her hand. The chair didn't move.

"You have to concentrate," Harry told her. "Clear your mind of all other thoughts."

Lavender told herself not to think about Charlie. She needed to think about that bloody chair and getting it to move.

It took a lot of effort, but she pushed the thoughts of Charlie out of her head and concentrated on moving the chair.

The chair moved slightly.

"Come on," Harry said encouragingly.

"I'd have gotten it by now," Ernie muttered.

Lavender blocked out Ernie and the other students and concentrated. The chair moved a little further.

Using all her effort, she managed to move the chair within a few feet of where Harry wanted. Lavender sat back down, feeling rather breathless.

"Good job," Harry told her. "It will get easier, Lavender. You just need to keep practising."

"I will," Lavender wiped her forehead. "I didn't know it'd be so exhausting."

Ernie rolled his eyes. This wasn't going to be of any help to any of them in the real world. This was all stuff they could have learned at Hogwarts.

"Who wants to try next?" Harry asked, effortlessly moving the chair back with a wave of his hand.

"I'll go," Ernie said.

Harry nodded. "All right," he stepped back.

Ernie waved his hand and the chair moved all the way across the room. He wasn't ready to stop there, either. With another wave of his hand, Harry's desk moved from the front of the room to the back. "How's that?" Ernie asked smugly.

Harry nodded again. "I'm glad you've been practising."

Ernie shrugged. "It's not that difficult."

"I'd like to try next," Hermione raised her hand.

"I'm sure you would," Ernie muttered as he passed her.

Hermione glared at him, determined to show him up a bit.

"Miss Granger," Harry said. "How about you take that stack of books and move them to Eloise's desk?"

"Okay," Hermione closed her eyes and waved her hand towards the books.

Ernie rolled his eyes when Hermione completed the task effortlessly. He wouldn't have been surprised if Potter was secretly moving them for her.

"Very good," Harry nodded. "Ron? Want to give it a go?"

"Want me to move the stick Ernie has up his arse?" Ron asked cheekily.

Harry almost smiled as the rest of the class laughed. "Ron--"

"At least I'm not dating Loony Lovegood," Ernie retorted.

Ron's face darkened as he lunged for the other male.

Justin stood up quickly and got in between them. "He didn't mean it, Ron."

"My arse he didn't," Ron tried to shove past him.

Ernie laughed. "Oh, come off it, Weasley. You used to say the same stuff until you got into her knickers."

"You son of a bitch," Ron growled before Harry pulled him back.

"Sit down!" Harry barked. "Both of you!"

Ernie smirked at both of them before sliding back into his seat.

"Ron," Harry ordered. "It's your turn."

"You say one more thing about my girlfriend and I'll knock your teeth out," Ron warned Ernie.

"I'm scared," Ernie said with a sneer.

"Block him out," Harry told his friend. "Just do what Hermione did. Move those books from Eloise's desk to mine."

"Okay," Ron tried to concentrate.

He was still so angry that he overshot Harry's desk and the books hit the chalkboard before falling to the floor.

"Sorry," Ron muttered.

"Well, you can do it," Harry answered, picking them up. "Good job."

Ron sat back down but not before shooting a glare in Ernie's direction. That wanker had crossed a line when he'd said that about Luna.

Hermione leaned over. "I've only met Luna once," she said quietly. "But she's a lovely girl. Ernie only wishes he could get someone like her."

Ron smiled. "She's the best. She really is."

It was amazing, Hermione thought. Despite the rocky start between her and Ron, they really seemed to be getting along now.

"I wasn't always nice to her," Ron admitted sheepishly. "But, that changed during the war. She makes me want to be a better person."

Hermione nodded. "It's obvious she loves you very much."

"She's my girl," Ron said with a grin. He wondered what she was doing right then.

"I bet she's thinking of you right now," Hermione whispered before turning back to the front.

Class ended a few minutes later and Justin made sure to stay by Ernie's side so there wouldn't be another confrontation with Ron.

Ron reached into his bag and handed Hermione his essay. "You sure you don't mind reading over it?"

"Not at all," Hermione replied, already skimming through it. "I'll read it during lunch and give it back right before Lupin's class."

"Thanks," Ron said. "You know, you're not so bad. You're a little mental, but other than that, you're okay."

Hermione laughed and shook her head. "You're incorrigible."

Ron grinned. "Luna says the same thing about me."

"I'll get this back to you as soon as possible," Hermione said, heading down the corridor.

"Hermione!" someone called out from behind her.

She turned around. "Yes?"

Padma Patil smiled warmly at her. The dark-haired girl was wearing a smart set of dress robes and her hair was pulled back into one long plait. "I thought that was you."

"Oh hi," Hermione answered. "How... how are you?"

"I'm doing well," Padma replied. She held out a couple of books. "These are the latest by Corinna McCandler. I know the ministry librarian really well and she mentioned that you were waiting for these books to come in."

Hermione smiled. Corinna McCandler was a well-known advocate for House Elf welfare, a cause that was near and dear to Hermione's heart. "But the librarian said she wasn't getting them in until next week...."

"I pulled a few strings," Padma said with a smile.

Hermione gratefully took the books. "That's very kind of you. Thank you, Padma."

"That's what friends are for," Padma had to stop herself from gritting her teeth at the phrase.

Hermione couldn't understand why Padma had singled her out. But, maybe she was just being paranoid. Padma Patil couldn't have known about her relationship with Harry. Lavender had said that she and Padma were very studious.

"It's really shame how House Elves have suffered over the years," Padma said laying it on thick. "More people should read books like those and they'd think twice about it."

"I agree," Hermione nodded. "I hope to someday raise more awareness about it."

"Maybe you and I can start a committee or something," Padma suggested.

Hermione looked at her in surprise.

"I know you're busy with your training," Padma said. "But if you have free time, I'd love to work with you."

"That might be nice," Hermione reminded herself to be cautious.

Harry turned the corner and spotted Hermione. He was about to call out to her when he saw the person she was speaking to.

It felt strange to see Hermione standing by the mirror image of his dead girlfriend.

"I am pretty busy," Hermione said. "But maybe..."

"Hi," Harry interrupted as he came up to them.

"Hello," Padma said icily.

Hermione nodded. "Was there something you needed from me?" she asked neutrally.

Padma studied both of them carefully.

"No," Harry said quietly.

"I'm almost done with that essay you assigned," Hermione replied. "I'll have it finished tomorrow."

"I should get back to work," Padma said. "I really hope you enjoy those books, Hermione."

"Thank you," Hermione said. "I'll see you later."

"See you," Padma said turning away to hide the smile on her face.

Harry stared at her once Padma was gone. "What was that all about?"

Hermione meant to tell him about running into Padma the other night, but she'd been so busy that she'd forgotten. "I just met her formally the other night. I just ran into her in the hall. She had some books that I've been waiting for."

"What sort of books?" Harry asked. "Why is she suddenly nosing into your business?"

"I don't think she was nosing into my business," Hermione said. "She seems genuine."

"Padma hates me," Harry said quietly. "Why would she all of a sudden want to be your friend?"

"She doesn't know about us," Hermione said in a hushed tone. "As far as she knows, I'm just your student."

"She's too smart for that," Harry argued, folding his arms.

"How would she possibly know about us?" Hermione asked.

Harry shrugged.

"She cares about House Elves," Hermione said holding up the books for him to see. "And she asked if I wanted to join a committee----"

"A committee?" Harry raised his eyebrow. "She's never been interested in House Elves, Hermione."

"Maybe she's changed her mind," Hermione said thoughtfully. "If you read these books, you would to."

"That's not the point, Hermione." Harry said.

"What is the point?" Hermione asked, folding her arms. They were attracting a bit of attention so Harry took her by the arm and led her back into the now empty classroom.

"The point is, I think she's trying to get close to you to get to me," Harry was trying to remain patient.

"Harry, she doesn't know about us," Hermione tried to reason. "How would she? We've been very careful."

"I just have a feeling," Harry said, growing frustrated. "I just think she has ulterior motives."

Hermione folded her arms. "Harry---"

"You think I'm wrong?" Harry asked pointedly.

"I just think that you might be over thinking this," Hermione replied. "Granted, it is a bit bizarre that she suddenly came up to me, but Lavender said that she and I are alike. Maybe she---"

"Maybe she what?" Harry asked.

"Maybe she just wants to be friends," Hermione said. "Maybe this is her way of forgiving you as well..."

"Maybe if this was a movie," Harry said sarcastically. "But her entire family hates me, Hermione."

"So you're basically saying because they hate you, and your only REAL connection to me is a teacher to a student, that there's no way she'd want to be my friend?" Hermione asked in a dangerous voice.

"You're a smart girl, Hermione," Harry said amazed that she couldn't see this. "Don't be naive."

She glared at him. "You're calling me naive?"

"Not all the time," Harry said. "But about this, yes. I think you are being extremely naive."

Hermione shook her head, incensed with anger. "You have no right to say that," she said furiously. "You haven't a clue about me after all!"

Harry sighed. "Hermione---"

"Just leave me alone," Hermione pushed past him.

"Would you wait a minute?" Harry called after her.

"What?" she turned around angrily. "Going for another dig are we?"

"No!" Harry retorted. "All I'm saying is that for someone so smart..."

Hermione wanted to throw something at him but refrained. "I don't want to talk to you for awhile," she said coldly.

"Over this?" Harry asked in disbelief. "You're acting like a child!"

"And you're acting like a real asshole," Hermione retorted. "Get out of my way."

"Fine!" Harry grumbled, stalking out of the classroom.

"Jerk," Hermione muttered.

Harry couldn't believe Hermione. Maybe he'd crossed a line when he'd called her naive, but that was what she was being! She didn't know Padma. She didn't know how vindictive Parvati's sister could be.

He hated that they were fighting now. The day had started out great and now had gone completely down the tubes.

"Where's the fire, Harry?" Remus Lupin asked.

"As long as I live, I will never understand women," Harry grumbled.

"What happened?" Remus asked.

Harry realised he'd said too much.

"You have an argument with that girl we saw in the papers?" Lupin asked. "I have been meaning to ask you about that---"

"It's nothing," he said quickly. "I'm just venting is all."

"If you did want to talk, I'm here," Lupin offered.

"Thanks," Harry muttered.

"Maybe if you and your lady friend talked about this," Lupin suggested. "After you've given her time to calm down, that is."

"We'll see," Harry wanted to steer away from the topic. "Any word on those raids yet?"

"Do you think you could have your team ready next weekend?" Lupin asked. "I know its short notice, but Kingsley insisted."

"I'm pretty sure I could," Harry nodded.

Lupin clapped him on the back. "I'll have the specifics for you by the end of the day."

"Thanks," Harry tried to muster up the enthusiasm he'd shown earlier that day.

Lupin grinned. "You have the same look on your face that your dad would get when he fought with Lily."

"Probably pretty often, aye?" Harry asked.

"A lot of them when she was pregnant with you," Lupin remembered. "And your father said something wrong that would set her off."

Harry half smiled. "Were you around as often as Sirius?"

Lupin nodded. "I had the good fortune to be the sounding board for both your parents."

Harry tugged at his sleeve. "Sometimes I still wish things could have been different..."

"Despite their arguments, they did still love each other very much," Lupin told him. "And they loved you more than anything in this world. At the end of the day that was all that mattered."

Harry nodded, wondering if he should try and apologise to Hermione. Perhaps she was right and Padma was just trying to be friendly.

"Give her some time to cool off," Lupin advised.

Harry nodded again. "So... how was your breakfast?"

Lupin's cheeks reddened. "Oh...well, it was certainly an eye-opener."

"Oh yeah?" Harry asked. "Like how?"

Lupin told the younger man about his conversations with both Tonks and Cassandra. "I had no idea that Nymphadora felt this way."

Harry managed to keep a smile off his face. "So you're taking her on a date?"

Lupin put his hands in his pockets and shrugged his shoulders. "Yeah, it sure seems that way."

This time he did smile. "I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun. She'll be good for an old man like you."

"Old?" Lupin asked, putting his hand to his chest in a dramatic fashion.

Harry rolled his eyes playfully. "She's not much older than me."

"You're going to give me hell about this, aren't you?" Lupin asked.

"Don't you think I deserve to?" Harry joked.

"Maybe just a little," Lupin said chuckling.

"For what it's worth, I think you two would make a great couple," Harry said honestly.

"Thanks," Lupin said grinning as he thought of her.

"I should go get ready for tomorrow's session," Harry replied, feeling a bit better. "I'll talk to you later."

"Okay," Lupin said. "Good luck with your...friend."

Harry rolled his eyes. "You too old man."

Padma had watched the scene unfold. She smiled as she thought about everything falling into place. The first thing he'd lose would be Hermione and then he'd lose his job. Truth be told, she'd rather see him in Azkaban, but since that wasn't possible, this was the next best thing.