Unofficial Portkey Archive

Coming of A New Age by frecklegirl87
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Coming of A New Age

frecklegirl87

Chapter 18: Detention and A Dispute

"I can't believe she gave us detention!" Rose whined towards her younger sister, Lillian.

"I know! What on earth for? We only gave what was deserved," Lillian complained back.

"Well maybe he didn't deserve it, maybe it was just his mother, on account of she is the one who said it," Rose said.

"Still I can't believe she's making us clean the floor of the Herbology room, without magic, I might like to add!" Lillian complained, yet again.

"At least she didn't make us clean it with toothbrushes," Rose suggested.

"That's only because there wasn't any spare to be had," Lillian said, hoping it was true.

"That's what you say," Rose said. "I think the only reason she didn't make us use the toothbrushes is because of Mum. She was her favorite and top student."

"My knees hurt!" Lillian complained, from being on the floor and also bare knees.

"You should have worn pants like I told you to," Rose said. "That way, your knees won't give out so quickly."

"Would you two stop your complaining and whining?" a voice asked, coming into the room, or rather outs from the invisibility cloak.

"Daddy!" Lillian shouted as she ran towards him and engulfed herself in his arms, forgetting about her sore knees.

"Well, hello to you too Lily," Harry said and then looked at Rose and addressed her by her name, "Rose."

"Father," Rose said, cold-heartedly.

Apparently, these two never had gotten over their differences from before. Then again, she never did tell him whom she was with. Rose just gave him the cold shoulder the rest of the time until up to the time at the train station.

"Oh come on Rosey-Rose," Harry said. "Lighten up would you? I already know who you were with. And I know about your boyfriend too missy."

Harry's last sentence he had directed to Lillian. She looked up into his emerald green eyes and smiled.

"You do?" Lillian asked, cheerfully.

"Yes I do and even though it may seem weird for a Potter and a Malfoy to mix, at least I know where he came from. At least Ginny wasn't rotten as a child. It shows through Adrian. How do you think he got into Gryffindor?" Harry said.

"Well, I always did wonder why he ended up over here and not there," Lillian said, referring to the houses, Gryffindor and Slytherin.

"Heredity makes a huge difference, mind you," Harry said. "And don't you forget that."

"Yes sir," Lillian said, joking like as she saluted him.

"Lily," Harry said, laughing at her antidote. "As funny as that is, don't ever do that again."

"Well, ok," Lillian said. "If you say so. Although it did make you laugh."

"Yes I know dear," Harry said. "Now if you wouldn't mind, run along now. I'd like to talk to your sister. Alone."

"Yes Daddy. It was nice to see you again," Lillian said.

"You too dear," Harry said. "Now run along."

Lillian gave her Daddy one last hug and kiss goodbye and then left.

"Rose," Harry said, sternly and calmly.

"Father," Rose said coldly.

"Oh stop it with the coldness. Don't you think I've had enough of that already? The least you could do is show a little affection maybe?" Harry suggested.

"Why should I? You wouldn't understand me," Rose said, as she continued to get down on her knees and scrub the floor.

Stubborn. Just like her mother at times, Harry thought.

I heard that! Hermione intermingled into Harry's mind by telepathy.

Well you try to straighten up a daughter whose not only a teen but a stubborn teen! Harry said back.

I've already been there Harry, Hermione said back.

Would you two stop it? You're giving me a headache! Rose shouted in both of their minds.

Me too! Lillian interrupted into all three of their minds.

Lillian, come back in here. I don't want to be alone with Father, Rose said to Lillian, and only Lillian alone.

Sarah, Rose and Lillian's aunt, Harry's younger sister, had taught her that skill: to send a message to only one person and manage to block the rest out. Rose had gotten used to it, well except she couldn't block Lillian out when she needed to or wanted to.

I'm coming, Lillian said back in the same way. Sarah's twin sister, Nicole had been teaching Lillian the skills.

Thank-goodness! Rose shouted with joy in her head to Lillian.

You really love me that much? Lillian asked her, with a tint of sarcasm in her voice.

Oh shut up and get here already would you? Rose asked, impatiently.

"Rose," Harry said, interrupting Lillian's and Rose's conversation.

"What?" Rose asked.

"I already know you were with John Weasley, but why on earth wouldn't you tell me? Is it because of you're afraid of what I might think of him? Cause if if's that, then I'll definitely tell you what I think of him. Or is it because of someone else?" Harry asked, as if he was rambling on.

"You know the reason," Rose said. "You know it damn well."

"Don't push your luck Rose," Harry said. "Just because I'm your father doesn't mean that you can swear to me anytime you'd like."

"I just did," Rose said and then went back to her work on the floor.

"Then you can forget about Christmas this year. Don't even bother coming home for it," Harry said, as he then left the room moving the cloak back over himself before he opened the door and then left.

"Smooth sis," Lillian said, coming into the room. "Smooth."

"Lillian, shut your damn mouth for once," Rose snarled.

"You know? Sometimes I wonder if you truly belong in Gryffindor," Lillian said.

"Oh shut-up will you? Just finish your side of the room," Rose said, tossing her a rag already with water in it so it'd splash her once it landed in her hands.

"Oh thanks," Lillian sneered.

"Your welcome," Rose said. "Get over it."

"I swear! I don't know who's like who sometimes," a voice said coming from the shadows.

Lillian and Rose both looked up towards the chalk board to see Professor McGonagall staring absent-mindedly at the two of them.

"Professor? Have you been here the whole time?" Rose asked.

"Yes Rose I have and I might like to say, shouldn't you give your father some slack once in a while?" Professor McGonagall asked.

Rose didn't answer.

"I thought that's what you'd say," Professor McGonagall said. "Guess I'd better put your name down for those who are staying for Christmas this year."

"Better put my name too," Lillian said.

"No, Lillian," the Professor said. "Even though you resemble your grandmother, Lily, a lot and act like her a lot. Sometimes not for your own good, I might add. But this time, I think there are other plans ahead in store for you."

"Professor? Are you a seer?" Lillian asked.

"No, I just know better," Professor McGonagall said. "Now get busy before I get out the toothbrushes."

"See I told you!" Rose hissed.

"And you're right Rose," Professor McGonagall said. "That is the reason why I didn't make you and Lillian use toothbrushes. Every other person that got this, had to use the toothbrushes."

Lillian and Rose smiled at Professor McGonagall.

"And because, this way, with a rag, there isn't as many streaks on the floor!" Professor McGonagall stressed.