Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just One More Thing by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just One More Thing

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

Just One More Thing

Chapter 17

****

A firm knock on Hermione's bedroom door caused Harry to stir from his slumber. The noise had not disturbed Hermione, she was still fast asleep on top of him, her head snuggled into the crook of his neck, a sight that brought a smile to Harry's lips.

Another firm knock followed by Jane Grangers voice, caused Harry to look at the door.

"Rise and shine, sleepyheads," Mrs Granger said chirpily. "I'm just about to start breakfast."

Harry heard retreating footsteps going down the stairs, and leant up to look at the clock on the bedside table that read, 7.08am. The Grangers were early risers, especially for a Saturday.

Harry let his head fall heavily against the pillow, an action that made Hermione's eyes begin to flutter open. Lifting her head from his chest, she looked around a little disorientated.

"Morning," Harry said sleepily.

"Oh, morning," Hermione yawned. "What time is it?"

"Just gone seven," Harry replied with his eyes closed.

"What made you wake up this early?" Hermione asked still yawning.

"Your mother just gave us a wake up call," Harry said. "An early wake up call."

"Right, I forgot," Hermione said collapsing against him once again. "Once in a blue moon did they let me sleep in."

"When we get a place together, I'll let you let sleep in whenever you like," Harry said with a smile.

Hermione began to giggle. "Yeah, right."

"What's so funny?" Harry asked.

"You let me stay in bed, but you don't let me sleep mister, and you know it," Hermione said playfully.

Harry started to trace patterns on her bare back. "I can't help myself, you look so damn sexy in the mornings."

"Well," Hermione said lifting her head to meet his eyes. "Unfortunately for you, if my mother gave us a wake up call, that means that she's about to start breakfast."

"Damn," Harry grinned.

"But there is nothing stopping us from getting in the shower together," Hermione quickly got up off of Harry and reached for her robe. "Last one to the shower gets on their knees first!"

With that, Hermione started to leave the room.

"Damn," Harry repeated huskily, before sprinting in the direction his girlfriend had gone.

****

"So, I trust you two slept well," Mrs Granger said while serving up breakfast.

Harry and Hermione had finally made it downstairs, and were sitting at the table both feeling famished after their morning activities in the shower.

"Wonderfully, thank you mother," Hermione said, before grinning at Harry naughtily.

"Good morning," Brian Granger said cheerfully as he entered the dinning room, immediately walking over to his wife and pecking her cheek.

"Morning dear," Jane smiled at her husband.

Brian turned his attentions to Harry and Hermione who were sitting next to each other, and took a seat at one end of the table.

"Morning you two. So, are you two looking forward to the game today?" Brian asked, before helping himself to piece of toast from the plate on the table.

"Should be interesting," Harry replied. "It's the biggest game of the season."

"What do you think of their chances?" Brian asked referring to the Canons. Even though he was a muggle, he actually found Quidditch quite fascinating.

"Ron seems to think its in the bag," Harry said buttering some toast, then handing it to Hermione. "But then again, Ron says that about every game."

"He's the perfect optimist," Hermione added, pouring some orange juice into a glass and placing it in front of Harry.

"You should join us sometime," Harry suggested.

Brian smiled. "Well, I may just do that someday Harry, thank you."

Jane placed some more toast on the table, and took a seat on the other side of her husband opposite Harry and Hermione.

"Hermione, your father and I had a talk last night," Jane began. "And we want you to know that the offer to Australia is still open, only this time to both of you."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other in mild surprise. "It does sound like the trip of a lifetime, mother," Hermione said softly.

"But?" her father asked.

"We have jobs that restrict us from just getting up and leaving at the drop of a hat for two months," Hermione explained.

"We understand completely that you both have careers to think about," Brian said. "It's not like we need an answer right this second."

"Why don't you go and have a think about it, talk it over, and let us know what you decide?" Jane suggested.

Harry took Hermione's hand in his. "There would be no harm in us thinking about it, Hermione."

After some thought, Hermione agreed. "We'll think about it."

"Good," Jane beamed.

The four began tucking into their breakfasts, and Hermione felt an enormous amount of relief knowing that her parents had accepted her relationship with Harry, enough even to invite him on a family holiday. If she were any happier, she was sure she would burst.

****

It had just gone 10.00am when Harry and Hermione had apparated back to their apartment. For the first time in a long time, Hermione was quite upset at leaving her parents house. She had regained some of the closeness she had shared with her mother, and had gotten both of her parents blessing regarding her relationship with Harry.

The day had started off great, now all they had to do was face the onslaught of the press when it was revealed that they were in fact involved in a more intimate relationship. That was going to be fun.

"Baby, are you okay?" Harry asked, interrupting her thoughts.

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine," Hermione said shrugging off her coat.

"You sure?" Harry asked taking the coat from her arms and hanging it up in a nearby closet. "You look a little spaced out."

"Yeah, I'm fine," she assured him with a smile. "I was just thinking."

"That's, a shocker," he said playfully.

"Oi," Hermione pinched him softly.

Harry put his hands on her shoulders, and let them travel down her arms softly before reaching her hands, and gently intertwining her fingers with his.

"You're not worried about anything are you?"

"What could I possibly be worried about?" Hermione asked, hoping that she was hiding the fact that she was terrified well enough to stop Harry's concern. No such luck.

Harry didn't believe a word she was saying. "Maybe, today isn't the best day to this."

Hermione looked at him, tears starting to form in his eyes, but remained silent.

"Hermione," Harry started gently. "I love you, and I know that you love me, but I completely understand if you don't want to advertise it to the world just yet."

"But I do want the whole world to know how I feel about you," Hermione said as she wiped her eyes. "I just don't know if I can handle hundreds of reporters hounding us the minute they find out, and you know that's exactly what's going to happen."

Harry nodded in understanding, and let her continue.

"I know that we planned this, and if you still want to go through with it this way, then I will do it, because I love you," she said to him softly.

Harry let go of her hands, and drew her towards him for a tight hug, which she accepted whole heartedly. "You know, you could have saved me a lot of trouble if you had just told me this earlier, I mean you must have been thinking about this for longer than a day."

"How do you mean, saved you trouble?" she asked confused.

"It's my fault too, I could have brought it up myself," said Harry.

"Brought what up?"

"If we were walking down the street, and one reporter or photographer saw us, I think we could handle that, we could escape pretty easy," he explained.

"Right?" Hermione said, understanding his train of thought immediately.

"But we do it today at the game, and it would just be a circus," Harry said.

"I don't think we'd get out alive," Hermione added.

"You had the right idea," Harry said pulling back and cradling her face.

"I did," Hermione asked. "Remind me."

"We give an interview to, Luna," Harry said. "It then gets printed in 'The Prophet' the media can have their circus, and two years later after everything quiets down, we can leave the apartment again."

"Yay," Hermione laughed. "I think that would be best."

"Don't think this is way of postponing this," Harry said. "I intend to ask Luna to do this for us as soon as she gets a chance."

"Good, because I can't wait for day I get to grope you in Hogsmede, and not have to worry about who sees me do it," Hermione said leaning in for a kiss.

Just as things were about to heat up, Ron and Luna burst through the door, causing Harry and Hermione to both let out a groan of frustration at their friends timing.

"Oh look, Ron," Luna pointed to the flustered couple. "They're still alive."

"That they are babe," Ron said as dropped the Quidditch bag he was carrying on the floor. "I guess that means things went okay with the in-laws then?"

"Eventually, and they're not my in-laws, Ron," Harry corrected him.

"Not yet," Luna winked at them.

****

While Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna were talking about what happened at her parents house, Draco and Ginny were stood outside their friends apartment having a discussion of their own.

"You ready?" Draco asked Ginny for what seemed like the hundredth time.

Ginny looked at the door, and then back at Draco. "No."

"Ginny," Draco sighed. "We talked about this, it will be like ripping off a plaster, we just tell them and it will be quick and painless!"

Ginny looked at him like he was crazy. "You have met, my brother haven't you?"

"At the hospital, it's what he said he wanted, so why should he give a shit?!" Draco said starting to get agitated.

"I know, I know," Ginny threw her hands in the air. "Draco, it just happened so fast. Now not only do we have to tell my parents that I'm pregnant, but we have to tell them that we're married, and explain to them why they weren't even invited!"

"Ginny, no one was invited, that's the whole point of eloping remember?"

"I know, I just…" Ginny trailed off sadly.

"You regret it, don't you?" Draco asked dreading his wife's answer. "We've been married, what, ten hours and already you're regretting it?!"

"No, I'm not!" Ginny said a little too loud. "Look, can we just go inside and talk about this later? We're bound to get an audience if we stay out here, and the last thing I want is to cause a scene in front of our friends neighbours!"

"Oh, Merlin forbid!" Draco said hotly.

"Oh, grow up will you?!" Ginny said just as fiercely.

Draco clenched his jaw and instead of saying anything else, he banged on their friends apartment door hard.

A few seconds later Hermione opened the door.

"Hi," she greeted them cheerfully.

"Hey," Ginny said in a low voice.

"Wassup," Draco said sounding equally as pissed off.

It didn't take a psychologist to know that the two had just had an argument. Hermione knew the moment that she had opened the door. The look on Ginny's face spelt out, 'Just had spat with Draco.'

"Well, don't just stand there, come in," Hermione ushered them in. "Ron and Luna are already here, they're in his room they should be out in a minute."

"And the hits just keep on coming," Draco said with false cheer, as he followed his wife into the apartment.

Hermione closed the door and briefly leant her back against it. "This is going to be a long day," she thought out loud.

Harry approached Ginny and Draco. "So, how are the parents to be?"

Ginny and Draco just stared, as Hermione went and stood beside him.

Harry smiled nervously at their silence. "Did I miss something?"

"What is it this time?" Hermione asked with a hint of a smile. It wasn't that she didn't treat her friends arguments seriously, it was just that Draco and Ginny always argued, and then usually made up within the hour, something that lead to them snogging or shagging.

"Yeah, cause its no fun until we can pick sides," Harry said with a grin.

Ginny folded her arms, and plastered a fake smile on her face. "Well, just under eight hours ago, I married a prick. A big, huge, giant, prick!!"

"We eloped this morning," Draco said sneaking a glance at his wife.

"Oh my god!" Hermione shrieked.

"Shush!" Ginny pleaded with her friend. "Ron doesn't know yet!"

Hermione still had a face of excitement, so decided to mouth the words instead. "Oh my god!"

"Wow," Harry said mirroring Hermione's happiness. "Congratulations."

"Thanks," Ginny said sadly.

Hermione and Harry exchanged confused looks. Wasn't getting married suppose to be a happy occasion, and if so, why did their friends look so damn miserable?

"What's wrong?" Hermione asked the newlyweds. "Shouldn't you be, I don't know, happy about that?"

"Ginny thinks we made a mistake," Draco strongly. "Bring on the happiness!"

Draco's comment made Ginny whip her head around in anger. "I did not say that! God, why are you acting like such a child?!"

"Maybe it's because my wife thinks about everyone else's feelings before her own, and her husband's!" Draco shouted.

"Keep. Your. Voice Down!" Ginny said in a deadly tone.

"No!" Draco's anger increased. "Why the hell should I?!!"

"Because it's neither the time, nor the place to be discussing this!"

Harry and Hermione could do nothing but just observe the scene in front of them quietly, and let Draco and Ginny continue their domestic.

Draco shook his head in dismay. "And it never is."

"What does that mean?" Ginny asked calmly.

"What it means, is that you pull this shit every time we're about to go out with friends, or when we're about to see your family," Draco fumed. "You think that if you do this to me in these particular situations, there won't be a scene. Do you think that somehow being pregnant with my baby gives you the right to treat me however you want? Am I not allowed to have feelings anymore, or did you not think I had any to begin with?!"

Ginny remained silent, as Draco walked closer to her.

"I'd rather you'd just said no."

"You really are a cunt sometimes, do you know that?" Ginny said obviously hurt.

Ron and Luna entered the living room at that moment, not noticing the tension.

"So, you lot ready for the game or what?" Ron asked cheerfully.

Hermione nudged Harry in the arm, silently asking him to do something.

"Ron, Luna," Harry said as if he just thought of something. "Hermione and I need to discuss something with you."

"What?" Ron asked before swigging from a bottle of water.

"Harry and I have decided not to go public today," Hermione said.

"Why?!" Ron asked scared. "You're not breaking up are you? Have you had a fight? Why are you having second thoughts?.."

Harry and Hermione grinned, they knew that Ron's barrage of questions would take the heat off of Draco and Ginny for a while, the couple who were stealing glances at each other. The argument was not over, but they both felt a little ashamed that they had rowed in front of their friends, again.

Draco didn't understand it, they were so happy this morning. He had asked Ginny over and over again if this was what she wanted, and she assured him it was. It only took her five seconds to accept his proposal, and within the hour they had found a minister that was ordained to perform marriages. It was quick, with no hassle, and they were both wearing jeans. It also meant that their child would be born to parents who were married.

Did she regret not having the white wedding that almost every woman dreamed of? Did she need to tell the world that she loved him in front of everyone that was close to her? Or worse, did she really believe that she'd made a mistake, because she really didn't want to be his wife after all?

All the thought's that were going through his head suddenly became too much for him, and he needed to get out of there.

"Draco…" Ginny touched his arm gently, and was mortified when he flinched away from her.

"I have to get out of here, I'll see you all later," Draco quickly turned and the left the apartment.

Ginny was beside herself, and Harry and Hermione could only look at her in sympathy, as Luna tried to stop Ron from hyperventilating.

"Have you met someone else, Harry?" Ron asked in rage. "Are you cheating on our Hermione?!"

"Ron, shut up!" Harry shouted.

Harry's voice stopped Ron from his ranting.

"There is no one else, and Hermione and I, are not breaking up you idiot!" Harry said loudly.

"So then, why aren't you going public?"

"Because, Ronald," Hermione stepped in. "We want Luna, to do the article."

Luna clasped her hands in delight. "Really, you mean it?"

"We do," Hermione confirmed. "But right now, Ginny and I, have to nip out."

Ginny took a few seconds to catch on. "Oh, right, yeah we do."

"And Harry," Hermione looked at her boyfriend. "Didn't you need to speak to Draco about work?"

"Yes," Harry nodded. "I did."

"Well I'll come with you," Ron said, completely unaware of what was going on.

"NO!" Harry, Hermione and Ginny shouted all at once, causing Ron to jump.

"You should really stay here bro," Ginny said quickly. "You have to keep yourself focused on the game, besides it wont take long."

Ron nodded. "Yeah, you're right, me and Luna will just hang here, but remember I need to be at the stadium by 12.00pm sharp."

"Done," Hermione assured him. "The sooner we leave the sooner we get back."

Harry, Hermione and Ginny shuffled out of the apartment, leaving Ron and Luna alone.

****

Outside the door, Harry, Hermione and Ginny were talking.

"Okay, Gin, where did he go?" Harry asked.

"When he's really stressed out he usually goes to his office." Ginny said putting a hand to his forehead.

"Well, I'll go see if he's there," Harry said to Hermione. "Why don't you take Ginny home, and I'll try and get Draco to you as soon as I can."

"Okay, try not to take too long," Hermione said, then kissed him on the lips.

Harry was just about to leave when Ginny stopped him. "Harry, please…tell him that I'm sorry, and that I love him."

Harry nodded, and left.

Hermione put her arm around Ginny. "Lets get you home."

****

Just like Ginny had said, Draco had gone straight to his office. In all truth he never had anywhere else to go. He could never go and see Harry at the apartment because that's where Ron lived, and even though he and the fiery redhead had a friendship of sorts, Ron always sided with his sister. So he this was how he found himself, sat with his feet on his desk, about to drink a bottle of Ogdens.

"She was right then, I would find you here," Harry said, just as Draco was about to put the bottle to his lips.

"Is she okay?" Draco asked Harry.

"What do you think?"

"Harry, I swear, I didn't mean to get so angry," Draco told him. "Maybe somewhere I had a right to be, but she's pregnant and I shouldn't be causing her any unnecessary stress."

"She's fine, Draco," Harry assured him. "Hermione took her home, where is exactly where you should be."

Draco looked up towards the ceiling. "What's the point? I'll probably end up upsetting her more."

"I bet she's feeling just as bad you about this," Harry said trying to make his friend feel better. "In fact I know she is."

"Yeah," Draco said doubtfully. "What makes you think that?"

"She looked crushed when you left," Harry said hoping to get through to him. "She also told me, to tell you, that she's sorry."

Draco looked at Harry in surprise. "She did?"

Harry simply nodded. "And, she told me to tell you that she loves you, although that's obvious to anybody."

Draco knew deep down that Ginny worshiped him, just because their relationship was different to everyone else's, didn't mean he had the right to doubt it. They were now married, and to top it off they had a baby on the way. How could he possibly doubt her devotion to him?

At this point, he felt lower than scum. Everything between them lately had been changing so fast, she had every right to be apprehensive, if not a little scared. So she was nervous about telling her family about their progressing relationship, so what? She took a huge chance on him by becoming his girlfriend, especially after everything he had put her and her friends though at school. Ginny was never afraid to take a risk, and that was another thing about her that made him fall madly in love with her.

He had jumped to conclusions and mistaken her nervousness for fear. This time it was undeniably his fault, and he was the one who needed to apologise.

"Harry, can I ask you something?" Draco asked softly.

"Sure," Harry nodded, sitting down and leaning forward.

"You'll think I'm crazy," Draco smiled.

"Try me," Harry challenged.

"Do you think it's possible, to love someone…too much?" Draco asked.

Harry smiled, he didn't need any time to think about how to answer his friends question. He often thought the very same thing. "Every time I open my eyes in the morning, and see Hermione lying next to me, I ask myself that very question."

"Really, you do?" Draco said, relieved to know that he wasn't the only one who thought about things like that.

"Constantly," Harry said leaning back in his chair. "It makes you feel like everything you do is never good enough, no matter how much you know deep down that everything you do is all you're capable of, right?"

"Right," Draco nodded in understanding, feeling better by the minute. "How do you learn to control it?"

Harry thought for a while about how to answer that question. "Draco, every time I look at Hermione, my heart feels as though it's about to burst. Believe me I know how you feel."

When Draco remained silent, Harry continued.

"When I went with her to her parents, I was terrified that if they didn't approve, that they'd somehow convince her that her life would be better without me in it. As much faith as I have in Hermione's love for me, and as much faith as you have in your love for Gin, we still can't get this tiny niggling feeling in the back of our minds, that makes us believe that at some point they're going to think they deserve better. How do you learn to control it? I'm afraid I can't answer that, mate. What I can tell you, is that I've learned not to worry about the love I share with Hermione, but simply honour its existence with all my heart."

Draco was stunned, Harry had gone through exactly the same thing that he was going through, only Harry had managed to deal with it a lot quicker. Just talking to him had done the world of good, and for that he would always be grateful.

"You're a good friend, Harry," Draco said standing up.

"I'm a great friend, Draco," Harry joked as he too stood up. "What's this good shit?!"

Draco smiled as he put on his jacket. "I have to go do some grovelling."

Harry patted him on the back. "That's more like it, but grovel fast we got a game to get to."

They were both about to disapparate when Harry, stopped Draco with his arm. "Why don't you tell me what it feels like?"

What does what feel like?" Draco asked.

"Knowing that Ginny, is your wife now," Harry said with a smile.

"She's my wife," Draco said dreamily. "I will never be able to make anyone understand just how happy, and proud that makes me feel."

Harry smiled even wider. He couldn't wait for that particular feeling himself, where no matter how hard you tried to explain, no one could ever understand how happy one was, until they felt it themselves.

****

Hermione stood in the living room of Draco and Ginny's apartment, carefully watching her friend who was sitting on the sofa.

"Do you we think we made a mistake?" Ginny asked Hermione tearfully.

"Ginny don't ask me things like that?" Hermione begged her friend.

"I just know that you'd be honest with me," Ginny said.

"Do you think you made mistake in marrying him?" Hermione asked.

"No, of course not," Ginny replied wiping her eyes on tissue.

"Well then, there's your answer," Hermione said.

"Even you have to admit that it was fast though," Ginny sniffed.

Hermione laughed. "Oh please, Ginny. Who am I to make judgements on how fast you take things in yours and Draco's relationship? You do know me and Harry, don't you?!"

"You and Harry are different," Ginny argued.

"How so?" Hermione asked.

"Because you and Harry, have been a couple since you were eleven," Ginny said. "You just didn't realise it until later on."

Hermione didn't bother to argue, it was the way every one saw it. "Ginny, if you had to do it all over again, would you?"

"In a heartbeat," Ginny answered immediately.

Hermione went to sit next to her friend on the sofa. "So then stop overanalysing everything. What are you really worried about?"

Ginny knew she couldn't hide anything from Hermione. "My parents are going to freak out."

Hermione closed her eyes in realisation, and nodded. "Got ya."

Ginny put her head in her hands. "Now, not only do I have to tell my parents that I'm pregnant, but I have to explain to them why they are not going to be able to see their only daughter get married. How could I have been so selfish?"

"I'm the one who's being selfish," a familiar voice said.

Ginny and Hermione quickly stood up and turned around, to see Draco and Harry standing behind the sofa.

"I didn't hear you come in," Ginny said looking at Draco.

"We apparated outside," Harry said. "Draco thought the pop might scare you, and that it would be bad for the baby."

Draco and Ginny kept their eyes on each other, while Harry and Hermione thought it was time for them to leave.

"Listen," Harry said taking Hermione's hand. "We're going to leave you guys to it."

"Will we see you at the game, won't we?" Hermione asked the newlyweds.

"Will we?" Draco asked his wife.

Ginny smiled. "We'll be there in less than an hour."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other satisfied with the answer, and then left the apartment, leaving Draco and Ginny alone.

****

Some of you are eager to read the Quidditch game scene featuring Zeke, I know I said it would be in earlier chapters and it wasn't. I can guarantee you it will be in the next.

Also, sorry it took so long for the update, I originally wanted this chapter to be longer. I have had a family problem lately that has been taking up much of my time, so I am in no position to tell you when the next chapter of this, or of 'Coming To Salem' shall be up. I apologize for this profoundly. I am doing my best, and I'm writing every spare moment I get, which hasn't been often lately. Please bear with me, I have no intentions of forgetting or abandoning my stories, so don't worry those of you who enjoy them.

Please read and review, I love your thoughts, and rest assured the next chapter will be up as soon as possible.

Bye for now. XXX