Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just One More Thing by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just One More Thing

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

Hi to my faithful readers. This chapter is not as long as others, but the way I see it, you can get quicker updates in smaller doses or longer updates in months! It is not just a filler, and I really hope you enjoy it. I have taken into consideration all reviews that I have received and have decided in which direction I want this story to go. I should warn you that it gets a bit angsty, but things need to get worse before they get better. Thanks for the reviews for the last chapter, they were great, and pushed me to get this chapter out as quick as possible.

Just One More Thing

Chapter 23

****

Ron had not long got to Luna's apartment, the conversation he had had with Harry playing over and over in his head, making him even more eager to see his own girlfriend. He felt good having spent time with Harry and Hermione today, much better than he'd been feeling over the past few days. After having a heartfelt talk with Harry, he started to feel as though he had been a bit selfish over the whole idea he had of them pushing him away. It was obvious to anyone that they were madly in love, and simply just wanted some time alone, even he now was beginning to fully understand that. Ron didn't know why he thought that they were trying to ostracise him, he always was know for being paranoid, but after today he just ended up feeling stupid that he had thought that to begin with.

Harry apologising for them inadvertently making him feel bad, and Hermione referring to the apartment as his home still, made him feel a lot more better about things. When Ron arrived at Luna's, he went to the living room where he knew Luna would be, and smiled from the door like a Cheshire cat when he saw her reading in complete silence. She was laying along the sofa with head propped up on one of the cushions, completely engrossed in her book.

"Hi sweetie pie," she said without looking up from her book. She had heard him come in.

"Hi," he said still smiling.

Luna finally tore her attention away from the book and smiled back at him. "Are you gonna just stand there or you gonna come give me a smooch?"

Ron moved from the doorway and went over to her. He kissed her gently on the lips, then lifted her legs up so he could sit sown. As soon as he was comfortable, he gestured for her to put her legs across his.

Luna cooed when he begun stroking them softly. "That's nice."

"How was your day?" Ron asked.

Luna tossed the book on a nearby table in order to give him her full attention. "Well, I now have a new office buddy."

"Ginny?" Ron enquired with surprise. "You mean she actually went for it?"

"Yeah, she did," Luna said. "I'm as surprised as you are."

"Was she angry?"

Luna laughed as she remembered Ginny's initial reaction to her desk being moved without her knowledge. "I don't think she appreciated the going behind her back thing, so don't think for one second that she wont try and lynch you when she next sees you, but we ended up having a lot of fun today."

"Couldn't you have blamed Draco?" Ron sighed.

"She knew it was you," Luna said, then laughed at the expression on her boyfriends face. "She was right, it reeked of Ron."

"She actually said that?" Ron asked in mock offence.

"Yep."

"Damn," Ron cursed. "Am I really that obvious?"

"Yes," Luna giggled as Ron pinched her stomach playfully. "What about you? How was your day?"

"It was great," Ron said, stopping his pinching for now. "We've all been invited to Hogwarts."

Ron proceeded to tell her about the quidditch game he had watched at the school that day, along with McGonagall's request for them all to go and see her. He left out what had happened between him and his best friends that evening though, the whole situation was stupid enough as it was, and it was something he just wanted to forget about. Ron would always wonder though what possessed him to even think that Harry and Hermione didn't think of him as important anymore. "Oh yeah, that's right," he thought. "Because I'm Ronald Weasley. I'm an idiot!"

****

Harry and Hermione were lying closely beside each other on their backs in bed naked, looking at the ceiling in silence. From the dazed looks on their faces, they were still coming down from what had to have been their most intense sexual experience to date. The physical side of their relationship was so very young that they were bound to be surprised from time to time, and judging by what happened tonight, would be for the foreseeable future most probably.

Harry glanced in Hermione's direction without moving his head. She was still wearing the same wondrous expression on her face, the one that had been there since he had moved from on top of her to lie beside her. But instead of basking in the astonishing afterglow that always followed after he and Hermione made love, all Harry felt above all else was confusion. So many thoughts were going through his head at that moment, some good, some bad. It was annoying the hell out of him. He even went so far as to think that Hermione was trying to teach him a lesson. Not knowing what was going on was driving him insane. Is this what it felt like to be on the end of a conversation with someone who was being incredibly evasive? But then he thought back to earlier and the talk they had before the 'fuck me' expression had appeared on Hermione's face. He apologised, and she seemed happy with the reasoning behind his behaviour regards the photograph, she even told him she that she fully understood.

"You're only doing it to protect me and I fully understand that. I just wish you would let me in sometimes, especially when it concerns both of us," she had said to him.

After remembering her words, Harry suddenly felt a feeling of dread rise within him. Back when they were at school and he pulled the over protective card, telling her that he was distancing himself for her own good, she never accepted it. His mind started to replay a memory of a particular incident in school. It was just after Dumbledore had been killed. After his mentor had been murdered, Harry left Hogwarts with immediate effect and holed himself up in Grimmauld Place. His isolation only lasted a couple of days, the amount of time it took for Hermione to find him.

Flashback

Finally breaking through the locking charm that he had in place, Hermione pushed open the bedroom door with such force, that Harry was sure it would come off the hinges when it slammed into the wall behind it.

"You spineless bastard!" she spat.

Harry sighed, then calmly got up from the bed he was laying on to stand up and face her. "Hermione, what are you doing here?"

"Have you got any idea how many people are worried about you?!" she screeched ignoring his question.

"Then go back and tell them not to waste their emotions," Harry retorted snottily. He made a move for the door only for Hermione to shove him back roughly.

"What?!" Hermione shouted angrily. "No one invited to the Harry Potter self pitying party?!"

"Hermione, what is wrong with you?!" Harry questioned rubbing his chest.

"I want to know when you're going to take your head out of your bottom and start realising that pushing people away is not the answer to everything?!"

"The only one who seems to have a problem with it is you!" Harry told her flatly. "When are you going to start respecting my wishes and leave me the hell alone?!"

Hermione didn't take what he said to heart, instead she walked up to him and pointed a finger in his face, angrier than ever. "Don't think for one second that the overprotective bullshit that you pull every time we lose someone dear to us is going to work on me! It's getting really old Harry, and it's something that I will never let you use as an excuse for anything you do, do you hear me?!"

Harry just stared at her. "Are you finished?" he asked impassively. "Because if you are I want you to go."

Hermione looked at him as if she didn't know him anymore. "Will you at least answer something for me?" she requested softly.

Harry simply looked at her and remained silent.

"Do I even mean anything to you anymore?" she asked, terrified of his reply.

Harry threw his hands up in frustration. "Oh for fucks sake of course you do! Why the hell do you think I'm doing this in the first place?! For someone as smart as you are Hermione, I thought that you'd get it into your head by now that I can't bear the thought of anything happening to you!"

"Why me?" she asked gently.

"What are you going on about now?" Harry asked tiredly.

"Why me?! You're fine with everyone else!" she said accusingly. "You still speak to Ron, Seamus, Dean and even Ginny! Why am I the one you don't want around?! It's as if you're going out of your way to make me walk away from you!"

"Because that'd be the best thing for you," Harry said quietly.

"So you admit that you've been treating me differently to everyone else then?" Hermione queried in disbelief. Harry looked at the floor without replying. "You don't get it do you?" Hermione asked him softly.

"Get what?" Harry asked, having no idea where she was going with this.

"You really don't get it! I'm here because I want to be," Hermione told him strongly. "That no matter what you do or what you say, I will be here for you for as long as I choose to be! It's not your decision! It's my choice! And it certainly isn't something that you are going to be able to make disappear no matter how hard you try and push me away!"

Harry looked at her desperately wanting to reach out, but found that his resolve was firmly in place. He could just about handle loosing anyone, except Hermione. He knew that the best thing for her would be for her to stay as far away from him as possible. "You're right," he said with no emotion. "I don't get it."

With that, tears started to form in Hermione's eyes as she began shaking her head in dismay. "No, you don't," Hermione admitted sadly, feeling beaten for the first time ever. "And maybe I have to start coming to terms with the harsh reality that you probably never will."

Hermione sent him one final look, before leaving his room in floods of tears.

End of flashback

Harry was stunned as he recalled what had happened that afternoon Hermione came to see him. He spent months afterwards wondering what she meant by saying 'You don't get it'. Only now did he manage to piece it together. The reason she was so angry that day was because she loved him. Just as much as he loved her.

Harry's train of thought was broken when Hermione turned and settled against his chest. She tenderly traced her fingernails over his toned torso, then gently kissed one of his nipples. "You, Mr Potter, are an animal." Harry swallowed the lump that was forming in his throat, leaving Hermione time to continue. "I never thought you'd have it in you."

"You never thought I'd have it in me?" Harry said jokingly.

Hermione giggled then looked up at him and smiled sweetly. "What are you thinking about?"

"I thought you didn't want to talk about it tonight," Harry replied quietly.

Hermione noticed the tension in his voice and frowned. "What's wrong?"

Harry thought for a bit before answering. "What's going on, Hermione?"

Hermione broke eye contact with him. "I don't know what you mean."

"Fine," Harry said not sounding happy. "Forget it."

Hermione sat up on the bed bringing the sheets to her chest. She noticed that Harry had turned his face away from her, a sign that he was miffed about something. "Look at me," she said to him. Harry slowly turned his head to meet her piercing gaze. "Have I done something wrong?"

"No," Harry sighed.

"Then what is it?"

"I guess I'm just having trouble understanding what this was about that's all," he told her softly.

"What?"

"This," he replied sitting up next to her. "You've never…been like that before."

Hermione swept some hair back that had fallen in her face. "Maybe I'm sick and tired of doing what everybody expects of me."

"Like what?" Harry asked confused.

"Like my career!" Hermione exclaimed. "Maybe a successful career isn't what I need to make me happy anymore!"

Harry put a hand to his forehead. "You've talked about nothing else ever since we left school."

"But there are other things to life aren't there?" Hermione pointed out starting to get flustered. "I mean, will I be a failure if I can't fully commit to one profession?"

"Hermione," Harry took her face in his hands. "You have no idea what you're talking about. Who would be able to see you as a failure?! You're anything but, you know that!"

Hermione gazed into Harry's worried eyes. "My life isn't turning out the way I thought it would, Harry."

Harry's face dropped as did his hands from her face. "How do you mean?"

"It's turning out better," Hermione smiled. "To think I grew up believing that being a workaholic was the only thing that could bring meaning to my life."

"And now?"

"Now it doesn't seem to be so important anymore," she said softly.

"Why?" Harry asked lovingly.

"Because I found out something this morning, something that I didn't realise I wanted as much as I know I do now," Hermione replied sweetly. "Something that made my whole life change for the better."

"Did you find out that you'd be better off without me?" Harry joked lamely.

"No," Hermione nudged him playfully before looking him straight in the eyes. "I found out that I'm carrying your baby."

Harry was speechless.

****

Remus had stayed at the ministry later than usual that day after having some work to finish off. It had just gone 12.30am when he was about to floo home, hoping that Tonks would still be up when he got there. Just as he was about to depart, an auror approached him with an A4 size envelope clutched in his hands.

Remus smiled when he saw the auror approach him, it had been a few weeks since he had seen him around the ministry. "Auror Feelen, its nice to see you. I thought you were still on vacation."

Auror Feelen shook his head and grinned. "I wish Remus. I got back a couple of days ago and have been roped into working nights down in the owl room."

"So Iva, all the family well?" Remus asked.

"Oh yes thank you, we all had a fantastic break but I have a feeling that the kids wish they were back on the beach."

"I bet." Remus chuckled. "Well I'm absolutely beat, tell the wife to make some space on your calendar for tea round mine and Tonks, be nice to catch up."

"I'm sure she'd love it, thank you."

"Well, goodnight Iva," Remus was about to leave when Iva stepped in front of him.

"Erm Remus, this letter came for Harry," Iva said raising the envelope that was in his hand. "I know that he usually goes through his post every morning, but I have a feeling that it's one of great concern and we were always told to give Harry's post to you if he wasn't here in these situations."

Remus took the envelope from the auror's hand and examined it closely. "When did it arrive?"

"Earlier today."

Remus was confused to see that there was no indication of who could have sent it. Usually when aurors received post in the ministry it carried the senders location and business logo. The only thing visible was Harry's name, department number and the word 'Urgent' in dark red letters stamped in the top right hand corner. Remus had a bad feeling rise within him, this was very strange indeed. Any plan of going home right at that moment were quickly forgotten. "Thank you for bringing it to my attention Iva, I shall go take a look right now."

"Well, I hope its not bad news. See you later Remus." Iva said, before walking back in the direction he came from."

Remus sighed. He too hoped it wasn't bad news but his auror instincts were making him think otherwise. He returned to his office and sat down at his desk, looking at the envelope in deep thought, before slowly tearing it open. With a deep breath he carefully slid out the contents. A look of shock crossed his face as his jaw opened slightly. "What in Merlin's name?" he whispered to himself.

The damning photo of Harry and Hermione in a compromising position had finally surfaced.

Remus put the photo down onto his desk and looked inside the envelope to see if there was anything else. He found there was and pulled out a single piece of parchment. Leaning back into his chair, he tapped his fingers against his chin as he read what it said.

Some role models you two turned out to be. What will the world think of you both when confronted with the undeniable fact that the two of you have no sense of public decency. Going at it like rabbits, at a quidditch game no less, where there are innocent children present who view you as heroes. You knew this was coming Potter, and the only way you can make this stop is to do one simple thing. WALK AWAY FROM HERMIONE. Lets see how well you can protect your worthless mudblood whore now.

Signed…Wouldn't you like to know?

Remus closed his eyes in anguish. He knew he had to tell Harry about this, but, was distressed in knowing what this threat could do to both he and Hermione. The man he treated as a son never seemed to get a break. Harry and Hermione's happiness over the past months was a pleasure to see for everyone who knew them, including the wizarding world, and this could ruin all of it. Remus had lots of thoughts going through his head but he couldn't have known just how complicated things were about to get. Harry had told him about his plans to propose to Hermione, but what Remus didn't know was that their relationship had gotten even more serious about an hour ago, when Hermione told Harry that he was going to be a father.

****

Totally unaware of what was going on in Remus's mind over at that ministry, Harry was having to confront some thoughts of his own, confusing ones at that. Harry had still not said anything to Hermione since she had told him in a nutshell that she was pregnant, and could tell by the look on her face that she was becoming a little irritated with his gormless look and silence.

"I'm sorry," he managed eventually, his throat had gone dry all of a sudden. "I guess I was expecting just about anything but that."

Hermione clutched the sheets tighter around her. "Don't worry, you're no more shocked than I was when I found out."

"I just don't understand…did this happen when we were in Rome?" Harry asked softly.

"No, it was after," Hermione said quietly.

"When?"

"The quidditch game," Hermione told him pointedly.

Harry was beyond confused. "But that was only a few days ago, how could you possibly know already that--"

"I had to find out ok?" Hermione said cutting him off. "I knew that we weren't careful and I had to know if something had already…started."

"But you said that you were going to do that 'morning after' thing regardless," Harry said remembering her words. It was the wrong thing to say. Harry saw tears immediately appear in Hermione's eyes and instantly regretted his comment.

"And I told you that I could never do that!" Hermione stated tearfully. "Or were you lying to me when you said that you'd forgiven me for my initial reaction."

"No, of course not."

"Then what's wrong with you?!" Hermione asked him strongly. "Ever since we've been together you've talked of nothing else but having a baby with me. You're acting as if you're not happy about this!"

Harry avoided the question. "And you've talked about nothing else but not having a baby with me until the time is right, that your career comes first, things change!" Harry again noticed by the indication on Hermione's face that he had put his foot in it. "Hermione, I didn't mean it like that."

"Like what?!" she spat, leaping from the bed towards the door.

"The way that you're taking it!" Harry said getting to his knees.

Hermione spun around. "And how's that?! You've basically said that you've changed your mind!"

"I have not changed my mind!" Harry said powerfully. "Give me a break, you've had all day to get use to this, I've had five minutes!"

"It's not as if I'm expecting you to ask me to marry you or anything," Hermione said hotly, missing the pain in Harry's eyes at this comment. "You can walk away if you want!"

Harry shook his head incredulity. "Why do you have to take things to that level eh?! All I'm trying to do is figure out what is going on with you! First you don't want a baby and want to concentrate on your career, in which by the way, you have no idea what to do next. Now, you are happy about having a baby and not bothered about what career you pursue! I'm simply trying to understand!"

"Then you're right," Hermione said more calmly. "Maybe things just…change." Hermione looked at him for a moment then turned to leave.

"Where are you going?" Harry asked sounding broken.

"I'll be at my parents," Hermione replied sadly. "I'm obviously not the only one who doesn't know what they want."

"So you're running away," Harry muttered. "How roles have reversed."

Hermione didn't know whether she was meant to hear his sarcastic comment or not, but she had, leaving her anger to return ten fold. She got right in his face and pointed a finger between his eyes. "Don't you fucking dare! I've lost count of the amount of times you walked away from me in school when things got the slightest bit tough, so don't think for one second, that I'm going to feel even the slightest bit guilty for walking away from you just this once!"

Hermione gave Harry no chance to reply to her outburst and stormed out of the room, leaving Harry to bury his head in his hands, and to wonder just how his day had turned out the way it had. The worst thing was, he had no idea what was waiting for him at the ministry.

****

Please read and review. You know you want to!