Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just One More Thing by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just One More Thing

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

AN: Here is another, hope you like.

Just One More Thing

Chapter 28

****

Draco and Harry returned to the ministry and immediately told Remus what they had found out. They informed him that Geoffrey admitted he had been hired by a wizard who lived in Bayswater, whom was also obsessed with Harry and Hermione. Remus took in all the information and was at first surprised that Hermione's ex would do something like this. To be truthful he didn't know that much about him, Hermione had kept her relationship with Steven very private when she was with him, he only ever found out what he was like after Harry had told him about him. He never knew him personally but it was obvious to him that Steven Atkins was a bully; a bully whose mind was troubling to anyone who was sane. He looked worriedly over at Harry, who was pacing and hadn't sat down since he had entered the office which was well over an hour ago. He looked ready to kill.

"Why don't you just sit down for a bit, Harry?" Draco asked, he too sharing Remus's worry for his friend.

"I don't want to sit down!" Harry replied flatly. "I want to go to that little shit's home and string him up by his dick!"

"You need to calm down, Harry," Remus said gently.

Harry stopped pacing. "Don't tell me to calm down!" he spat in raw anger. "Not after what he put Hermione through! I swear if he comes within a mile of her I'll..." Harry was so livid he couldn't even finish his sentence.

"He wont," Draco said trying to calm him down.

"How do you know that?!" Harry asked in frustration. "The guy's not right in the head! He could be capable of anything!"

"Alright," Remus said standing up. "This is what's going to happen. I'm going to send two aurors round to Steven's home tomorrow and they can bring him back here to the ministry for questioning."

Harry's eyes blazed. "I'll go get him myself thank you."

"No," Remus said firmly. "You will not."

"What?!" Harry voiced in outrage.

"You are far too close to this case, Harry," Remus tried to explain. "You were from the start, but in light of this new information I have no choice but to let someone else bring him in."

"Is this a fucking joke?!" Harry shouted. "That scumbag is trying to fuck with mine and Hermione's life, and you expect me to just stand back and let someone else deal with him?!"

Remus remained calm. "Harry, I can't honestly say with confidence that if I were to let you go round to that man's house, that you would be able to act in a professional manner and not let personal feelings get in the way of doing your job."

"I don't fucking believe this," Harry spat shaking his head. "You know what? It doesn't matter anyway. I'm gonna get my hands on that fucker and when I do, I'm gonna put his head through a wall! And there is nothing neither you nor anyone else can do about it!"

Harry headed for the door but was stopped a sharp voice.

"Harry!" Remus shouted, he sounded quite irritated himself this time. Harry turned to face him as Remus slowly leant forward on his knuckles against his desk. "Harry, I love you like you're my own but when we are in this building, I am your boss and you are my subordinate whether you like it or not. Now I want you to listen to me and listen well. Stay away from Steven Atkins. That is a direct order, are we clear?" Harry just glared at him and said nothing. "I asked you if we were clear?!" Remus repeated in a firmer voice.

"Yes," Harry replied in a deadly tone.

"Good," Remus said quietly.

Draco who hadn't said hardly anything remained silent and looked between the two hoping the situation had been defused. He hadn't seen Harry react like that in sometime and he couldn't help but agree with what Remus was saying. If Harry was face to face with Steven right now, he too wasn't sure whether Harry could remain calm, and not batter him.

Harry was still glaring at the man he considered his second father. "Am I allowed to leave now, boss?" he asked in a very cold sarcastic manner.

Harry would never know just how badly his attitude was affecting Remus at that moment. It was hurting the older man to have to do this but he only wanted what was best for both Harry and Hermione. Surely Harry could see that he would be no good at all to Hermione or their child if he was locked up in Azkaban for murder. If Harry wanted to hate him at that moment for looking out for him then so be it. "Go home Harry," he said tonelessly. "Go home and do what it is that you've always enjoyed doing for so long, take care of Hermione."

Harry opened the door without a second glance at either Remus or Draco, and slammed it on his way out.

"He can just be damn right scary at times can't he?" Draco said trying to lighten the situation, he could see how the whole conversation had affected Remus and felt bad for him. Remus just nodded and slowly sat down at his desk. "You know how he gets pal; you know what he's like when it comes to Hermione. When he thinks of harm being done to her, he just looses it."

"I know only too well, Draco," Remus said. "I hate that I had to do what I just did."

"I know you did," Draco understood completely. "But you did the right thing. I can't remember seeing him go off on one like he did just then for a while now. If he was to see Steven right now he'd kill him I'm sure, or at the very least comatose him. He just needs time to cool off."

"I hope you're right," Remus said quietly. He couldn't bear the thought of Harry hating him for too long.

****

Harry was grateful to know that Hermione would be there when he got home. He was glad she had taken another day off work and was planning to go back tomorrow. The anger inside him caused by today's breakthrough was fading but not quickly enough for his liking, he needed to see Hermione, she always managed to soothe him regardless of how bad his frame of mind was.

He entered the apartment and saw Hermione reading at the dinning room table. As soon as he walked through the door she looked up at him, clearly surprised that he was home at that time of the day. It was only 1.30pm. "Hi," she greeted him softly. Harry didn't need to say anything for her to know that something had happened at work to put him in his current mood, the fact that he was pissed off was written all over his face.

"Hi," he said dully as he hung up his cloak. He walked over to her, kissed her briefly on the lips and then sunk into the chair opposite her.

"I wasn't expecting you home so early," she said, putting aside a wedding dress magazine that she had purchased earlier in the day.

Harry noticed the magazine she had been reading and managed a small smile. "You've been looking for a dress?"

"Yeah," Hermione replied with a smile of her own. "These magazines sure spoil women for choice."

"See anything you like?" Harry asked.

"I've seen one or two," she answered coyly. "And they're ones that I can actually afford too which is a bonus."

Harry reached over the table and took her hand. "Whether you think you can afford it or not, you will have the dress that you want on our wedding day, and anything else you want for that matter if I've got anything to do with it."

Hermione didn't want to get into the usual disagreement that they had over money right at that moment, not when it was obvious that something was troubling him. "As much as I love you for saying that, we can argue about it later."

Harry chuckled softly; it was the exact response he was expecting from her. "Whatever you say, princess."

"What's wrong?" she asked him gently.

Harry ran a hand through his hair and blew out a breath. "I've not had the best day."

"I kind of figured," she said stroking his hand. "What happened?"

"I found out who's behind the whole photograph thing," he told her stiffly.

"You did?" Hermione asked sounding happy. "Well that's a good thing isn't it?"

"Yeah," Harry replied monotonously.

"Well who is it?" Hermione prompted, not quite understanding why he wasn't happier about catching the culprit.

"It's Steven," Harry responded with distaste in his mouth.

Hermione's eyes widened slightly as she processed what he had just told her. "Steven?" she repeated in disbelief. "Are you sure?"

Harry nodded. "Draco and I went to see Caldwell today; he said that he was hired by someone who lived in muggle London."

"But Harry that could be anybody."

"He lives in Bayswater."

Hermione had to admit there and then that the information Harry had just given her would only lead her to think of one person too, him. "Anything else?"

Harry shook his head in disgust. "Only that he has some kind of sick fascination with you and me."

Hermione closed her eyes briefly in an attempt to sort out the thoughts that were flying through her head in light of this information. She was sure that that snake was out of their lives for good, she certainly never wanted to lay eyes on him ever again. Steven Atkins had already caused enough pain in her life and she didn't want to have to go through that for a second time. Everything in her life was perfect at the moment and the last thing she needed was for that parasite to come along and try to ruin it all. She and Harry were finally happy and she would be damned if she was going to let anyone take that away from them now after all that they had been through. That was another potential problem. Harry. She would hate to think of what would happen if he ever got his hands on Steven. She knew it wouldn't be pretty and yes, Steven would deserve everything that he got, but Harry would be no good to her or their baby if he was in prison. "So what happens now?" she asked him softly.

"I wouldn't know," Harry replied sourly. "Remus took me off the case."

Hermione took a deep breath knowing that what she was about to say was going to make him furious. "Maybe that's for the best."

Harry wore a look of disbelief; he couldn't believe that she had just said that to him. He slowly took his hands from hers and sat back into his chair, not once breaking eye contact with her. "Excuse me?"

"Maybe its better that other aurors deal with it."

Harry folded his arms defensively. "Why is that?" he asked tightly.

"Let's face it, Harry," Hermione said standing up. "It's not like you're able to keep your temper under control when it comes to Steven. I mean look at you, we've only been talking about him for a couple of minutes and already that vain on the side of your head looks like it's going to burst any second now."

Hermione then walked over to the kitchen to make a cup of her special tea, Harry soon stood up and followed her. She didn't look at him when he reached her and instead just kept her eyes on the job at hand. Harry leaned against the counter and huffed dramatically when she continued to ignore him. "So you agree with Remus then?" he asked incensed.

"Yes I do," Hermione replied calmly, and then flicked on the kettle. "Would you like a drink?" she asked as she took a mug from the cupboard above her. Harry shook his head shortly signalling no.

"How can you take his side?!" Harry asked in a raised voice.

Hermione finally looked at him. "I'm on your side. I'm always on your side but it's like I told you once before, sometimes that means telling you things that you don't always like hearing. And right now I don't think it's a good idea for you to be anywhere near that arsehole!" Hermione turned her attentions back to the tea, her own anger beginning to build.

"Well thanks for having so much faith in me," Harry spat sarcastically.

Hermione flung the spoon that was in her hand to the counter and faced him again. "Fine! If Steven was right here in front of you right this second, what would you do?!"

"I'd kill him!" Harry yelled in a deadly tone.

"Good for you!" Hermione shouted mockingly. "And after that when you're sat in your dark, dirty little jail cell, you can spend the rest of your life knowing that it was your fault, and your fault alone that you never got to see your child grow up!"

Harry began feeling more irate when he realised there was nothing he could say to that comment. Hermione was absolutely right in what she was saying but he didn't want to admit that right now. He felt as though the world was against him today and all he wanted to do was vent some anger, something he knew was impossible now that Hermione had placed the ace card. He could think of nothing to do but just glare at her one last time, before heading to their bedroom so that he could sulk in peace.

Hermione didn't even watch him walk away. She turned around and continued to make her drink. She hated it when he acted like this but he needed to understand where she and Remus were coming from. Maybe using their child as part of an example was low, but it seemed to have had the desired effect. The minute she mentioned the possibility of him not seeing his child grow up should he act rash, she could see pain flicker in his eyes. Right then, she desperately wanted to follow him into the bedroom and make sure that he was alright, but she decided against it. She knew in instances like this that Harry needed to calm down on his own for a while. She wouldn't give him too long though, she desperately wanted to comfort him after the day that he'd had.

****

Draco never did make it home early that day, much to Ginny's disappointment. It was short notice to ask him to skive off work so it wasn't like she could be mad at him. He walked in just after 5.00pm, and looked positively shattered. She was lounging on the settee when she heard a distinct pop from the other room, he had just apparated in. He walked into their living room and sunk onto the settee beside her without even removing his cloak.

"You look completely fucked, and not in a good way," Ginny remarked.

Draco leant his head back against the settee and closed his eyes. "I feel completely fucked, and not in a good way," he said tiredly.

"So what kept you from me all day?" Ginny asked.

Draco leaned forward and opened his eyes. "We found out who's responsible for the blackmail campaign against Harry and Hermione."

"Who?" Ginny asked with increased interest.

Draco looked at her. "Steven."

"Steven?" Ginny asked confused. "Who's Ste--" it finally clicked. "No!"

"Yep."

"Hermione's creepy ex, Steven?" Ginny checked.

"That's the one," Draco confirmed. He stood up and finally removed his cloak.

"That bastard!" Ginny exclaimed. "Why would he do something like that?"

"Because he's crazy," Draco replied loosening his tie.

"So, what did you do? Please tell me that you went and beat the shit out of him!" Ginny said, hoping the answer was yes.

"I wish," Draco said, before walking over to the corner of the room where his whiskey decanter was.

Ginny's eyes followed him. "So what did you do then?"

Draco poured himself a drink and went back to join her on the settee. "We went and told Remus what we found out, during which, Harry completely lost his head and got us thrown off the job."

"So you didn't beat the shit out of him?" Ginny asked sounding disappointed.

"We got taken off the case because of how much we wanted to do that, Gin," Draco explained.

"So, what will happen to him now?"

"Remus told me that he and Kingsley would go and bring him in for questioning," Draco sipped his drink. "That should make Harry feel a little better knowing his friends are handling it."

"I hate to say it, Draco," Ginny said. "But regardless of how much trouble he's caused, Steven's only tried to blackmail someone and not for money, you told me yourself that he didn't even take the picture. What kind of sentence does that carry, if any?"

"If he doesn't have any priors he'll probably escape with a fine, a slapped wrist and a restraining order," Draco told her pissed off. "That's probably why Harry was so intent on killing him."

"You should have at least gone and beat the crap out of him, before you told Remus about what you found out that is." Ginny said thoughtfully.

Draco smiled at his wife's words. "And then get charged with assault, which would result with both Harry and I loosing our jobs?"

"At least it would make you guys feel better," Ginny grinned.

"Sorry babe," Draco said. "Harry was lucky to get away with knocking him out last time."

"If he didn't press charges then, chances are he wouldn't do this time either," Ginny tried to reason.

"Maybe this time, he really has flipped," Draco mused.

"You don't think he'd try anything...really dumb, do you?"

"Honestly," Draco said softly. "From what I've seen from these kinds of people in the past, I really couldn't say."

****

It had been three hours and Harry still hadn't come out of their bedroom. Hermione wasn't overly worried, it wasn't the first time he'd hid himself away in light of a bad situation and it was not going to be the last. It was a very different situation from when they were in school. Back then, Harry would literally hide away after something bad had happened and it would impossible for anyone to locate him until he was ready to be found, well, by anyone who's name wasn't Hermione. Harry never did enjoy playing hide and seek with her; she always won no matter how long it took. This time, Hermione felt much more at ease knowing that he was right in the next room. Yes, he was pissed off, but the main thing was he wasn't missing.

She finally managed to get through the wedding magazine she had purchased earlier that day, she had hoped to discuss the wedding further when Harry had came home that evening only now, the circumstances had changed. She glanced at her watch and decided that she had let Harry wallow in self pity long enough. She made a steaming mug of coffee for him, and then headed for their room.

Hermione opened the door to their room and found Harry laying face down on her side of the bed. She slowly closed the door behind her and walked over to him. As she got closer, she noticed that he was still awake. He had his arms under her pillow and was staring blankly at the wall in front of him. His eyes looked emotionless and they hadn't moved once since she entered, nor did they when she placed the mug on the bedside table. She sat down on the bed beside him and nothing. He still wouldn't look at her, even when she began tenderly running her hand through his hair.

But it wasn't long before Harry allowed his eyes to close briefly, her touch like always beginning to soothe him immediately. He waited for a few moments before he opened his eyes and finally spoke. "I hate him for what he did to you," he said croakily. "For what he did to us."

"For what he almost, did to us," Hermione corrected him sensitively, not once stopping her administrations.

"I'm just having a hard time understanding how you can be so calm over this," Harry said still not moving.

"Do you want to something really weird?" she asked gently.

"Sure."

"From the second I got to be with you, I mean really be with you," she said still stroking his hair. "Up until today, I hadn't thought of that idiot at all."

"You haven't?" Harry asked in surprise. "Not once?"

"No," Hermione replied, wishing that he would look at her. "Well, maybe as a passing thought when trying to relate my past with my present but nothing more." Harry finally met her eyes but didn't say anything. "Do you want to know why?"

Harry nodded almost unnoticeably.

"Because I have no time to think about what he did to me, or almost took from us anymore," she told him easily.

"No?" Harry asked her unsure of how that was possible. "How do you figure that?"

"Because I'm too wrapped up with everything that I have in my life right now," she answered smiling. "Ok, so my job situation could be better. But even after you told me that he's the reason for the stress we've been under lately, it's still not enough to burst this happy bubble I've been in for the past few months. I still can't believe you have no real idea how happy you make me." Harry managed to smile slightly. "Face it darling, he will never get to have in his life what we have together right now. He can't touch us anymore no matter what he does. "

"You really believe that?" he asked her kindly.

"Yes," she smiled, happy that her Harry was returning to his normal self. "So instead of squandering all of your emotions on him, the only thing that you should feel if it's absolutely necessary that you do, is pity. Even then it would be a waste."

Harry shifted his body slightly so he could look at her better. "I'm sorry for how I acted earlier."

Hermione let her hand drop from his hair and trail down his face. "I'm sorry for not being so understanding earlier." Her heart warmed instantly when she saw the smile she loved so much return to his face. She slowly leaned down and kissed him firmly against the lips, letting them linger before she had no choice but to break away in order to breathe. Hovering just an inch above his mouth, she grinned widely at him. "Now would you kindly tell me the reason that you are on my side of the bed, Mr Potter?"

"You'll think it's weird."

"Try me."

"Your pillow, your scent lingers on it and it comforts me," he said shyly.

Hermione didn't think it was weird at all, she thought it was one of the cutest things she had ever heard. "You only had to ask and you could have snuggled up to the real thing."

"I know," he said feeling foolish. "It's just when I took my bad day out on you, I started feeling stupid afterwards."

"You are stupid at times," Hermione said with giggle. "But I'm use to it now."

"Thanks," Harry said feigning offence. "Why don't you tell me how you really feel?" he joked.

Hermione unhurriedly pulled back and sat up. Kicking her shoes off of her feet, she waited for Harry to fall over onto his back, before she climbed on the bed and straddled him. "You want the truth?" she asked huskily.

Harry put his hands behind his head and flashed her his special toothy grin. "Abso-fucking-lutely."

Hermione placed her hands on either side of his chest, and then hovered above him teasingly. "The truth is that I love you more than I ever thought it possible to love anything or anyone."

"Still?" he asked choked up.

"Always," she whispered, before fusing her lips to his.

Harry wrapped his arms around her neck and responded to the kiss with equal enthusiasm, but then stopped suddenly. "Oh shit."

Hermione looked at him strangely, puzzled as to why he pulled away so suddenly. She looked down between them and then back up at him. "Oh don't worry baby, I've heard it happens to a lot to men whom are under stress."

"What?" Harry asked utterly confused.

"You know," Hermione said, coming to a totally wrong conclusion. "Not being able to...rise to the occasion so to speak."

"What?!" Harry repeated finally catching on. "No, no it's not that!"

"Oh, sorry," Hermione said feeling a bit silly. "So then what's wrong?"

"I was a real prick to Remus today," he sighed with guilt.

Hermione sat up sharply but stayed on top of him. "Why what did you do?"

"I didn't blow anything up this time if that's what you mean," he said leaning up on his elbows. Months ago just before they were together, he lost his rag at work over something so trivial he couldn't remember the reason. He would later attribute it to seeing Hermione and Steven together, of course at the time he didn't tell Hermione that. His anger had reached a point that was so bad that it took two days, with magic, to put his office back to its original state.

Hermione also remembered that day vividly and knew that the reason he gave her was false, but this time, she could tell he was telling the truth. "So what did you do?"

"I was really angry, and completely unfair to him," he admitted.

"And?" Hermione put her hands on her hips.

"And also snotty with a hint of sarcasm," Harry added. "You know what, I'll go see him later to apologise for my behaviour."

"Later?" Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah," Harry said leaning up on his hands. "After we've, you know..." he wiggled his eyebrows and gestured to the bed.

"I don't think so," Hermione grinned, placing her hands on his chest. "You go and apologise to him now, then we'll...you know." She kissed him quickly then crawled off of him. "Drink your coffee before it gets cold."

As she started walking out of their room, he peeked at the hot drink she had brought him when she came in earlier, then back at her. "I can be really quick," he tried to convince her to change her mind.

Hermione stopped in the doorway and turned to face him. "That's just it; I don't want you to be quick," she said in a sexy voice before leaving his sight.

****

Remus and Tonks had just finished having tea and were in the middle of watching TV when the doorbell went.

"I'll get it," Remus offered standing up.

Tonks' eyes never moved from the television. "Ok hun."

To say he was surprised when he opened the door would be an understatement. "Harry?"

"Hi," the younger wizard said quietly. "You got five?"

"Of course," Remus said ushering him in. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"Oh, no thanks," Harry said politely. "I can't stay long, Hermione's expecting me back."

"Hi Harry!" came a voice from the next room.

Harry smiled. "Hi Tonks."

"Hermione hasn't slapped you again has she?"

Harry laughed. "No nothing like that."

"Good," she shouted back.

Both Remus and Harry waited for a bit to see if she was going to say anything else. She didn't.

"So," Remus started. "What can I do for you?"

"I actually wanted to say something to you," Harry cleared his throat. "I wanted to apologise for my behaviour earlier."

"Harry--"

"Please," Harry cut him off. "Let me say this." Remus nodded. "I can't believe that I spoke to you the way I did, and I want you to know that I'm ashamed of myself for it. No matter how hard I think things are, or how angry I get, I would never want you to think that..." Harry stopped for a moment to regain his train of thought. "You've been incredible to me ever since Sirius..." Harry choked a little as he mentioned his godfather. "Died," he managed to get out. "You know you're like a father to me and I'm, I'm just so sorry."

Remus waited till he was sure Harry was finished, and then embraced him followed by a pat on the back. "Apology accepted." Remus pulled back and gave him a playful tap on the cheek. "I understand, Harry. How could I not? It's difficult to contain your anger for those who try to ruin the happiness of people you love and care about."

"Yeah, it is."

"Hermione managed to calm you down then?" Remus asked knowingly.

"Doesn't she always?" he chuckled, before turning serious. "She made me think about something that frightened the living daylights out of me."

"What was that?" he asked, already having a fair idea of the answer.

"She made me imagine what life would be like without seeing her or my child ever again," Harry said, even the thought of it distressing him.

"A child you've not even met yet," Remus added. Hermione thought exactly the same thing as him. "Smartest witch of her age."

"Yes," Harry stated proudly. "Yes she certainly is."

"So how was Hermione, when she found out it was Steven?"

"She didn't seem to be that phased by it to be honest," Harry told him. "She said that he can't touch us."

"She's right," Remus agreed. "He can't, not if you don't let him."

Harry looked at Remus pleadingly. "Please just tell me that you'll...get him."

Remus put a hand on Harry's shoulder. "Kingsley and I are going round to his house first thing tomorrow morning, we'll handle it personally."

Harry let out a relieved breath. "Good. That's good."

"Listen, as soon as you arrive at work tomorrow, I will let you know exactly what's happening I promise," Remus assured him. "Now go home, Hermione is expecting you, you know."

Harry smiled and gave him another quick hug. "Thank you." He then walked outside and apparated away, leaving Remus feeling happy and relieved at the same time.

He went back into the living room where Tonks was still glued to the television, and sat down next to her. "Everything alright?" she asked him.

"Yes," Remus replied. "Much better."

"He'll always need you, you know?" Tonks commented seriously.

"You think so?"

"I'd put my hair dye potion on it."

Remus just leaned back and smiled.

****

Harry returned home feeling much better after his conversation with Remus, he was happy that he could go into work tomorrow with there not being an atmosphere. When he returned home he immediately called out for Hermione, but didn't get an answer. She wasn't anywhere to be seen neither in the open plan part of their apartment nor in the bedroom. There was only one place left to look.

Harry opened the door to the bathroom and there she was. The only light in the room was coming from the flickering candles surrounding the large bath, which Hermione was currently laying in with bubbles up to her chin. Merlin, she was beautiful.

"Did you work everything out?" she asked him sounding totally relaxed.

Harry put one arm up against the doorframe. "Yes."

"Good," she said softly. She slowly raised her leg up out of the water, carefully gauging Harry's reaction to seeing her expose what he called one of his favourite parts of her body. He loved her whole body of course, but he told her a few days ago that he had a real soft spot for her legs in particular, and her breasts, and her bum, and her stomach. Ok he had a soft spot for every part of her.

"Hermione," he croaked. "My trousers are really starting to get tight."

"Well then you better get out of them and the rest of your clothes," Hermione told him. "And get in here with me." He smiled widely prior to closing the door and removing his clothes. He climbed into the bath and sat down right in front of her with his back to her, before slowly leaning back against her.

"Ahhh, now that's the stuff," Harry said sinking further into the bubbles.

As soon as he was comfortable, Hermione wrapped her legs around his waist and her arms around his shoulders, tenderly kissing the side of his head before leaning hers against his. "Are you terribly disappointed that I wasn't lying on our bed naked, with my legs spread apart waiting for you?"

Harry closed his eyes then started laughing softly. "No."

"Are you sure?" she asked kissing his neck.

He stopped laughing and began stroking her arms. "I think moments like this are better sometimes. Don't you?" he asked turning his head up at her.

"Yes," she whispered, then kissed him softly on the lips. After the kiss ended Harry faced forwards again and relaxed back into her. "Merlin, I don't want to go into work tomorrow," Hermione said desolately.

"Hermione, why don't you just leave, its obviously not making you happy anymore?" Harry pointed out.

"I can't just leave, Harry," she said dejectedly. "I have no job lined up."

"You don't need to have a job lined up. I know that you want to work sweetheart, and you will just take a break for a while," Harry told her gently.

"I could dip into my savings I suppose," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"And then when I give you a key to our vault at Gringotts, you can go take a swim in our savings," he said happily.

Hermione rolled her eyes; she didn't like it when he called his money, their money. She knew he meant well but she wasn't sure that she'd ever be comfortable with this particular subject. "Harry--"

"Hermione," Harry cut her off, then untangled himself from her and turned around. He carefully slid in between her legs and pulled her onto his lap. He wrapped his arms around her waist and gazed deeply onto her eyes, her hands resting on his shoulders. "I know that this has always been something that remains...awkward for you, but give me a break ok? You're going to be my wife and the mother of my child. It's not me and you anymore, it's us. My parents left me that money. Now, I want to share it with my family. You are my family Hermione, you and that little one that's growing inside you." Tears were forming in Hermione's eyes. She didn't know what to say. "I had your name put on my vault the same day I bought your engagement ring," he confessed to her.

Hermione was shocked. "What if I had said no to you?"

Harry shrugged. "I'm known to some for being a cocky little twat, but I was sure that you were going to say yes, which you did. Even if you didn't on that occasion, it wouldn't matter. I knew that I was going to spend the rest of my life with you regardless."

"So I have no say in this?" she asked.

"No," Harry replied. "No you don't."

Hermione clasped her hands behind his neck. "I should be screaming at you," she said seriously.

They sat in silence for a moment.

"You can't ask me to go back on it," he told her earnestly. "I never will."

"I know," Hermione sniffed, a tear falling from her eye.

Harry wiped it away then cupped the side of her face. "Hermione, I know you love me, I know you do. And nobody will ever convince me of anything else."

Hermione's breath hitched in her throat, she covered her eyes with a hand and started to sob quietly. Harry wasn't stupid, he knew all along what she was worried about when it came to the money. Yes, part of it had to do with the fact that Hermione was incredibly independent; the other part had to do with her worrying that her feelings for him being would be questioned due to his wealth. Harry was aware that Hermione would never accuse him of thinking such things, but she knew that others would. He personally couldn't care a less about what other people thought, but Hermione, over sensitive soul that she was, did care. People were cruel, and despite everything that she and Harry had been through together and the numerous times he told her to stick two fingers up at said people, she still allowed others to chip away at her personality at times. They tried to do it in school; they would try to do it now.

Harry finally reached up and took her hand away. "Please don't cry, you know I hate seeing you cry."

"I'm sorry," she sniffed.

"Don't be," he said, and gave her a few moments to calm down. After she stopped crying, he took her face in his hands. "Hermione, please hand in your notice tomorrow."

"I'm not disabled, Harry," she said defensively. "I'm pregnant."

"Yeah, I know," Harry said quickly not wanting her to get angry. "And if you want to work, then work by all means. It's just that I don't want you to go to work unhappy. That and I have a surprise for you."

"What kind of surprise?" she asked.

"Well, a surprise is to cause somebody to feel sudden wonder or amazement, especially at something unexpected, and if I tell you now then tomorrow you won't experience that feeling," he said honestly. "So I'll come and pick you up in my dinner hour, and then...surprise you hopefully."

"What are you up to?"

"Something that will probably make you mad at me at first, but then make you love me afterwards," Harry replied vaguely.

"Fine," she surrendered, desperate to know what he had done. "I'll take another rest day but it better be a good surprise because I haven't got many left."

"Good," Harry said happily, then kissed passionately. "I love you, soon to be, Mrs Potter." He smiled in wonder. "God, that sounds good."

"It sure does," Hermione gushed, then wrapped her arms tightly around him and kissed him fervently.

****

Come on guys hit that review button, and to those who hit it every chapter, you're the greatest reviewers an author could have!

-->