Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just One More Thing by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just One More Thing

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

AN: The review count has risen again so thanks to those who took their time to leave their remarks. To the reviewers who comment on every single chapter, you will never know how much I appreciate it.

OOC / CHAPTER WARNING: I just felt the need to let you know that this chapter may be difficult for some of you to take. Sometimes throughout this story, the situations that I have created have commonly led to our favourite characters being viewed as OOC, as is the case with this particular chapter. Those of you that have stuck with me since the very beginning of this story should be able to understand what takes place and the reason for it. It gets extremely angsty at a certain point, but I sincerely hope that it doesn't spoil the chapter for you.

Just One More Thing

Chapter 35

****

Harry got home earlier that Friday night than he had the whole week. At the ministry he and Draco had restored most of the criminal files to their original state, and finally after five days of vast efforts to put things right, Remus took pity on them and had insisted that they call it a night. It was 6.37pm when he walked through the door of the flat that he shared with Hermione. Ron had moved out already, well and truly in the nesting phase with his girlfriend Luna, and happier than ever. Harry hadn't seen him all week which was a shame, though he owled him to extend his best wishes to them both, with the assurance that he would see them as soon as he found the time.

He hadn't had time that week for anything really including Hermione, which was making him feel incredibly guilty. She had worked her two day notice at St Mungo's and was now giving her special touch to Flourish and Blotts. He hadn't even been down to see how thing were going, but he just couldn't get out of work. He was amazed at how understanding she had been regarding his hours, Draco had told him to consider his self lucky seeing as how he was being put through hell by Ginny because of his late finishes.

But it wasn't the long hours that were responsible for all the guilt he was feeling. Last night he had done something that had hurt Hermione yet again. She had reached for him clearly wanting to make love, and he had turned her down. The reason? It was rather simple. He still felt extremely disgusted with himself for what had happened at the beginning of the week, and was feeling as though he didn't deserve her touch, no matter how much he craved it. Hermione being the wonderful woman that she was had forgiven him virtually straight away after the incident had happened, but Harry was finding that hard to accept. He saw the way he was reacting as a form of self punishment, and it didn't matter how stupid it was because it was the only way he could look her in the eye at the moment, knowing that he was torturing himself.

He walked through the door of the flat and closed it behind him. Hanging his cloak on the hook nearby, he turned and walked into the living area. There, he was confronted with a beautiful sight.

Hermione striking as ever, was fast asleep on their sofa. He edged over to the table that was directly in front of where she was sleeping on her back soundly, and sat down on it quietly. As he became entranced with her exquisiteness, his mind drifted back to the night when they were last in this very position.

It was the night, or rather the early hours of the morning after, that she had told him that she was getting married. He had left in a huff after she had announced her engagement, going to a bar to get pissed, but getting home to find that she had tried to wait up for him.

To think of all the changes in their life that had taken place in the short time since that night, was simply astonishing. He smiled as he thought whether or not Dumbledore would have been able to predict what was going to happen to them in that time. He doubted it but then he didn't know whether anything could surprise him anymore, apart from the witch in front of him, who still managed to do it on a daily basis.

He looked down and saw that she was clutching a magazine to her chest. It was open which indicated that she had fallen asleep whilst reading it. He smiled when he saw the title, she had been reading, `Witch and Baby'. Harry gently reached out and took the publication from under her arms, being extremely careful not to wake her. Removing the magazine from her completely, he looked at her for a few moments to see if he had disturbed her, pleased to see that her eyes didn't move at all. Happy that she was still sound asleep, he looked down to see what she had been reading about.

Magical baby? What to expect from you first trimester.

Harry did some calculations in his head, tomorrow and Hermione would be two weeks pregnant to the day. He scrolled down until he found what he was searching for.

Two weeks.

In muggles the two weeks are usually seen as the implantation phase. Your baby is magical so the process is sped up slightly. The implantation phase in your case took place the very first day. The baby's mystical essence has already begun to form, and your baby is now the size of that of a muggle baby in its fourth week of development. For two weeks the baby does not get any bigger, as those magical foundations are established. In short, your baby is now an embryo consisting of two layers of cells from which all of its organs and body parts will develop.

Harry couldn't stop himself from grinning slightly after what he had just read. It may have come across as stupid to anyone else, their baby probably not even being viewed as one yet, but he didn't care.

Their little embryo had life, and according to this article, some magic already.

"It's amazing isn't it?" a musical voice said.

Harry's raised his head and saw Hermione watching him closely. "Yeah," he replied glancing back down at the article. "It sure is."

"It's weird, in a wonderful way that is, to know that all that is going on inside me right now," Hermione told him.

"I know," he said, a wondrous expression passing his face. "Although, I'm not sure mystical essence is making it any more magical than it was to us already."

Hermione agreed with him wholeheartedly, and kept her eyes trained on him as they stayed in silence for a while. "I've missed you this week," she whispered.

Harry slowly closed the magazine and put it to the side, before meeting Hermione's gaze. He edged forward and leant his arms on his thighs. "I've missed you too."

Hermione was relieved to hear that. She peeked at the clock over his shoulder and was pleasantly surprised at the time. It was nearing 7.00pm.

"You're home earlier than I expected," she pointed out happily.

"Yeah well you know, Remus finally cut us some slack and released us after constant begging."

"I'm glad he did," she commented. "We can spend some time together now...awake that is."

Harry smiled. "This week has been a bit strange huh?"

"Yeah it has," Hermione agreed, before sitting up on the sofa. "Busy."

Harry understood what she meant. All they had seemed to do that week was work. "So is everything coming together okay at Blotts?"

"Yeah, so far so good," Hermione nodded. "I mean I've given the place a good clean and familiarised myself with all the publishing agency staff and so on. I haven't really changed that much to be honest, seeing as how I love it mostly the way it is. But you know by personal experience that I manage to make things way more exhausting than they need to be at times."

Harry chuckled. "That I do."

Hermione wasn't offended and giggled with him briefly. "Anyway, everything's going as expected and I'm now well and truly ready for Monday."

"Good," Harry said patting her knee.

Hermione suddenly laughed inwardly.

"What's so funny?" Harry asked smoothly, his hand still on her knee.

"Oh nothing really," Hermione said shaking her head. "It's just that whenever I go to this certain part of the store, you know where we...did what we did... I start flushing like an idiot. Merlin knows what I'll be like when I have customers. I don't think I'll be able to keep a straight face if they ask me for help in that particular section."

The smile that had been on Harry's face started to fade gradually, as he removed his hand from Hermione's knee.

"Hmmm," he mumbled quietly, before standing up and sauntering over to the kitchen.

Hermione watched as he walked away from her, not quite comprehending what it was that she was supposed to have done now.

She got up off of the sofa and approached him apprehensively as he took a beer out of the fridge. She didn't want to argue with him, she hated it when they fought, but there was no way she was going to let this go. They had just shared a tender moment after she had caught him reading the baby magazine, and now he was being distant with her.

"Harry?"

"Yes," he replied setting his beer to one side. He then completely turned his back to her as he scanned the cupboards for something to eat.

"Have I done something to upset you?" she asked dreading the answer.

"No," he said tonelessly, and then turned around to face her. "Look we've got nothing in, do you want me to go out and get some shopping?"

Hermione looked at him not believing how insensitive he was being. He was trying to avoid the issue. "Harry?"

"What?" he asked trying to act innocent.

"I'm trying to talk to you," she said painfully.

"And I'm talking back," Harry shrugged.

She was getting irritated with his attitude but managed to remain calm. "What is this?" she croaked, evident hurt in her voice.

"What?"

"This," she gestured between them. "I mean you've been acting weird all week but this just tops thing off."

"Hermione, that's ridiculous," he chuckled condescendingly. "We've barely seen each other all week, how can you claim to know that I'm acting weird?"

"Because I know you," she replied, as if the answer was obvious. "And if's something's bothering you, which clearly something is, then I want to know about it."

"Hermione, I don't need this right now," he said running a hand through his hair. "I'm tired and I'm hungry. So let's just drop it okay?"

"No Harry, you're not brushing me off like that!"

Harry took a deep breath. "Look, if this about what happened last night--"

"It's certainly part of it." she said firmly. "And now that you mention it yes, I would like to talk to you about what happened last night."

"Yeah?" Harry asked snappily. "Well I don't want to talk to you about it!"

"Just tell me why you rejected me last night! That's all I'm asking for!"

Harry rolled his eyes. "What? I'm not allowed to not be in the mood from time to time?"

Hermione let out an insulted breath. "This has got nothing to do with that and you know it! If you're not in the mood then that's fine, the reason I'm pissed off is because you won't be honest about what actually happened."

"What was it that you thought actually happened?" he asked bitingly. It was tearing him apart to see her like this, but she wouldn't understand his reasoning for pushing her away. This reaction had been what he'd expected, but he had to stay tough, and it was killing him to do so.

"You lied to me," she reminded him flatly. "You said that you were tired when we both know that that was complete and utter bullshit!"

"I'm getting shit off of you because I gave you the wrong reason as to why I didn't want to have sex?" Harry laughed sarcastically. "Well I'm sorry for trying to spare your feelings!"

"Spare my feelings?!" Hermione asked hotly. "Is that to say that your reason for not wanting to touch me last night would hurt me more than you're doing now?!"

Harry flinched slightly, before gritting his teeth together. "Hermione! I just told you that I don't want to discuss it!

Hermione was getting angrier by the second. "Well I do! Tell me Harry, why is it that men can have sex but can't talk about it?!"

"Oh what the fuck are you going on about now?!"

She gestured to the sofa behind her. "I'm talking about what just happened back there?"

"What?! I didn't even do anything!"

Hermione shook her head in dismay. "I merely bought up what had happened between us in the store last week, which was all your idea may I remind you, only to have you run off as if someone had stuck a deck of exploding snap cards up your arse!"

"Hermione, I didn't run off!" Harry scowled holding his arms out. "I came to the kitchen! I'm standing right in front of you!"

"But you're not telling me anything!" Hermione screamed at him. "You may be here standing right in front of me but you might as well be a million miles away!!" Hermione then put her hands on her hips and took some calming breaths. "Tell me what's going on with you," she demanded in a low voice.

He cleared his throat. "Nothing is going on," he said mendaciously. "It's all in your head."

Hermione was beyond insulted as he insinuated that she was going crazy. She only had to look into his eyes to know that he was lying through his teeth. Surely he knew by now that he that couldn't lie to her successfully anymore. Apart from when they had masked their feelings away from each other, Hermione knew every time that he was being untruthful.

She took a deep breath and clenched her jaw, eying him dangerously. "If you don't tell me what is going on right this second, I'll--"

"WHY SHOULD I?!!" Harry shouted cutting her off, causing Hermione to look at him like she had just been slapped. "I'M SO SICK OF YOU ALWAYS GOING ON ABOUT FUCKING HONESTY! WHY IS IT THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW EVERY LITTLE THING THAT GOES ON IN MY HEAD?!"

Hermione's mouth started to bob up and down, he had never used such a tone with her before. "I-I-Just--"

Harry didn't let her finish. He stopped shouting but his voice still oozed with venom. "Ever since we've been together I've felt as though I haven't been allowed to have my own mind! You of all people should know how hard it is for me to open up and you know that I've been trying my best to tell you everything that I can, so why can't you just give me a fucking break from time to time?!"

As he had shouted at her Hermione was startled to see truth in his eyes. Where Harry was being callous in order to push her away, he must have believed some of what he was saying to have been coming out with it so convincingly. She didn't think that she was being unreasonable. Two people who loved each other like they did should be able to tell the other everything, it was like a rule. She wanted to know about his problems and fears because of how much she loved him, and thought that Harry sharing his burdens with her would make it easier on him.

Harry always told her about things that made him laugh as well as happy, but never about things that made him sad or scared, whereas she told him absolutely everything.

"Harry," she said his name shakily. "It's only because of how much I lo--"

Harry cut her off again. "Hermione, I sincerely hope that you don't think becoming my wife means that I'll let you control how my mind works. Because I tell you this," he continued ruthlessly. "You trying to force this whole... complete honesty thing on me...it stops right now. Do you understand me?"

Hermione just stared at him, revolted at how he'd just spoke to her. How could he say those things to her after all the promises they had made to each other? He was being so hurtful. But then again she had asked for honesty, and he had just given some to her brutally. He had some nerve though. Whenever she was upset he would always demand to know the cause of her tears, so why should it be any different for him?

Harry's heart split inside as he saw the love of his life look at him as if he'd just hit her, he could tell by her face that he had gone too far. Why did he have to go and do that? All he was trying to do was avoid questions about last night, but ended up taking it to new levels. He wanted to throw up; this was not what he had wanted to happen. It was him that was supposed to be feeling like dirt, not the other way around. He had just made an uneasy situation ten times worse. "So much for punishing myself?" he thought.

Harry stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked at her in total remorse. "Can we just... not talk about this anymore please?" he asked her softly, the velvety tone he usually spoke to her in returning.

But it was too late.

The damage had now been done, and Hermione's bottom lip gradually began to tremble.

She looked down to compose herself, not wanting to fall apart in front of him. He had clearly gone out of his way to make her feel like crap, his behaviour harsh and cruel. She was sure he didn't mean most of what he said; he was simply pushing her away. Again. To think that she had recently thought that things were improving massively between them in regards to the honesty thing, suddenly made Hermione feel foolish, thinking it was stupid of her to even consider that he would open up to her completely with time.

Well she had had enough. He wanted to push her away? Well two could play at that game.

She finally looked up at him, and it took every thing she had to ignore the look of concern that was now on his face.

"Do you know what?" she spoke callously, building herself up in order to crush the wizard in front of her.

Harry raised his eyebrows preparing himself for whatever she had. But even he couldn't have predicted what was going to happen next. "What?" he asked with dread.

She got as close as she could without actually touching him and stared at him coldly. "I cannot believe that I even thought, of bringing your child into this world," she said sounded disgusted. "Let alone go ahead and allow it to grow in me."

She watched as water instantly started to appear in his eyes, his face beginning to scrunch up in pure agony at her vicious statement. She hated what she had just done to him, but he needed to know how he was making her feel. They had talked about it over and over again, but Harry still wouldn't get it through his thick head that he couldn't treat her like this, so to hell with taking the high road.

She realised that she was close to falling to pieces herself, as tears started to trickle down Harry's cheeks. She had to get out of there, and she had to get out of there fast.

"Don't wait up for me," she managed to get out, before going over to where her coat was hung up by the door.

Harry's heart constricted even more painfully in his chest. Where was she going? He turned his head to see her putting on her coat, sniffing loudly as tears poured down his face. He wanted to say something, anything to stop her from walking away, but found that he couldn't. After what she'd just said to him he'd lost all ability to speak.

Hermione opened the door and was about to leave, when she suddenly stopped and looked over at him.

"You know I think I'd rather you treat me like a whore after all," she told him sadly. "At least then I'd know where I stood with you." Hermione gave him one last hard look and then left.

Afterwards, Harry was rooted to the spot for some time, thinking about what the hell had just happened. After a while he stepped back until he was backed up against the kitchen units, where he then slowly slid to the floor. He let his head fall into his hands in despair and began to sob quietly. He knew that everything that had just happened between he and Hermione was his fault entirely. He had no one to blame but himself.

Harry couldn't stop himself from thinking that he had just lost Hermione for good.

He started to sob louder.

****

Ginny and Draco were watching TV when a knock at the door disturbed them. They both looked at each other for a while, each trying to psyche the other one out into answering it.

"I'm pregnant you know?" Ginny argued.

Draco rolled his eyes and eventually got up, leaving Ginny to smile feeling very pleased with herself.

Draco got to the door and opened it. Nothing could've prepared him for what he saw. There, standing in floods of tears and shaking like a leaf, was Hermione.

"Fuck, are you alright?" he asked in grave concern.

Hermione was too upset to answer verbally, but managed to shake her head.

He ushered her in with his hand and closed the door. "What's happened? Where's Harry?"

At hearing Harry's name, Hermione began to cry louder.

Ginny suddenly appeared and put an arm around her friend's shoulder. "What on earth is going on here?!"

"Hermione, where's Harry?" Draco asked urgently fearing the worst. "What's happened?"

"Draco," Hermione said shaking. "Can you... go and make sure that...he's ok?" she asked between sobs.

"Draco," Ginny said sharply. "You heard her move out," she told him, sounding like a swat team member.

Draco just nodded and stroked Hermione's arm. "Sure." He quickly grabbed his jacket from the side and disapparated away.

After he'd gone, Ginny ushered Hermione into the living room and sat them down on the sofa.

"What happened?" Ginny asked rubbing her back. "Did you guys have a fight?"

Hermione was still trembling as she nodded miserably. "I think it's over, Gin," she cried, tears leaking down her face.

Ginny's eyes nearly came out of her sockets. Impossible. "What!" she voiced in shock. "No, no, no it's not."

Ginny had no idea what had happened between them but she was sure that absolutely nothing could tear Harry and Hermione apart. She reached to the side of the sofa and grabbed a box of tissues, before handing them to Hermione.

Hermione took them gratefully and wiped some over her face, before composing herself a little. "I went too far. He's never going to want me again after what I said him."

"What did you say to him?" Ginny asked her feeling anxious. Surely whatever it was, it couldn't have been that bad.

"I didn't mean it," Hermione said desperately.

Ginny continued to rub Hermione's back. "Mean what hun?"

Hermione felt sick as she prepared to answer. "I basically told him...that I was stupid to be bringing his baby into the world."

Ginny put a hand to her mouth briefly, before removing it to speak. "Oh Hermione, you didn't," she said in disbelief, wondering what could've made her friend say such a thing. "Well what did he do to make you--?"

Hermione stood up abruptly and began pacing. "He's keeping things from me again!"

She soon stopped abruptly as she realised what a ludicrous reason that was to say something so malicious to the man she loved. But she couldn't help it. This problem had been going on between them for so long now, even way back in school. It had built up over so many years and now it had finally got to a point where Hermione could no longer take anymore. It seemed that Harry couldn't find it in himself to be entirely honest with her, so she had to face the awful truth in light of that reality.

She could not marry and give her heart and soul to someone if they couldn't give the same back.

"But I thought he told you everything," Ginny said confused, interrupting her friends painful thoughts.

"That's just it Ginny, he doesn't tell me anything unless I badger it out of him! And I'm sick of it!"

Ginny regarded Hermione sympathetically. "Why don't you just start from the beginning?"

****

Draco apparated into Harry and Hermione's flat, and found his friend in the kitchen sat up against the units with his legs stretched out in front of him. Getting nearer he saw that Harry had been...crying?

"Hey mate," Draco said looking down at him.

Harry raised his head bit by bit, like he had no will to live. His eyes were puffy and his face was full of tear stains. "What are you doing here?" he asked croakily.

Draco slowly sat down on the floor to the side of his friend and leant his back against the fridge. He raised his knees up and leant his arms against them in order to get comfortable. He had a feeling he would be there for a while. "Hermione asked me to come see that you were ok," he told him softly.

Harry turned his head sideways. "She did?" he asked surprised.

"Yeah," Draco replied. He was happy to see a glimmer of hope flash though his mate's eyes.

Harry swallowed hard. "How is she?"

"Honestly?"

Harry grunted at the word that Draco used. How appropriate. "Please."

"She's an absolute mess," the blonde replied truthfully.

Harry closed his eyes in regret. He didn't think he could feel any worse but he was wrong. What was wrong with him? Why did he have to keep on messing things up? Hermione was his, they were madly in love and getting married, and there was also a baby on its way. He had it all. A sharp pain suddenly shot through his heart as he wondered if he still did after what had happened earlier.

"I fucked up, Draco," Harry said sadly. "I fucked up real bad."

"Why don't you start from the beginning?" Draco suggested, curious as to what could have possibly happened to make two of his closest friends so miserable.

****

Dean and Neville were standing at the bar in The Three Broomsticks having just ordered some drinks. It was a typical Friday night and the place was heaving. There was no where left to sit, and you had to be quick on your feet when a spot became available.

"So what time's Kim meeting us?" Dean asked his friend.

Neville glanced at his watch. "She should be here anytime now."

Two bottles of beer were put on the bar in front of them. "Thanks Rosmerta," Dean said, handing over some galleons. He took the bottles in his hand and held one out to Neville. "So things are going well between you two?"

Neville smiled shyly, his relationship with Kimberly was growing better by the day. "Yeah they're going really well."

Dean nodded and leant his back against the bar, observing the numerous patrons inside the pub. "So, have you shagged her yet?"

Neville had almost got his beer bottle to lips when he froze. He faced Dean who was looking at him expectantly. "I'd rather not discuss this with you."

"Uh-huh," Dean smiled. "That means `no' then."

Neville was about to say something when he saw Kimberly making her way though the hoards of people crowding the pub.

"Hey," Kim beamed upon reaching them. She pecked Neville on the lips causing him to blush. "Have you been waiting long?"

"No we just got here ourselves," Neville said.

"Hi Dean," Kim waved.

"Kim," Dean said giving a quick nod. "Good to see you again as always."

Neville patted her arm. "Can I get you a drink?"

"Please," she replied removing her coat. The body heat from all of the pubs patrons making it really stuffy. "Martini dry."

"Coming up," Neville smiled.

While Neville was trying to get Madam Rosmerta's attention, Dean chatted to Kim. He was curious as to where her roommate was. They always came in on a Friday night together just like he and Nev.

"No Natasha tonight then?" Dean asked trying to sound casual.

"She said she'd be here," Kim said looking around for her.

Dean started looking around too. "Thought she usually came with you?"

"Yeah she does normally," Kim replied. "But she had a date tonight."

Dean felt his stomach drop. "A date?"

"Yeah," Kim confirmed. "But she told me that he was bringing her here so she must be around somewhere."

Dean gripped his beer bottle tightly as an emotion went through him that he'd never felt before. Just then Neville turned around with a Martini in his hand.

"There you go love," Neville said handing the glass to Kim.

Kim heard the word `love' and gazed adoringly at Neville. It was the first time he'd called her that.

"What?" Neville asked her feeling shy, the look he was receiving making him blush.

"You called me `love," she pointed out.

"Er...sorry," he apologised.

"No don't be," she said quickly. "I liked it."

Neville felt butterfly's in his stomach. He really liked this woman and what was even more amazing, was that she liked him back.

Dean was still currently scanning the room for Natasha and her date. He was about to give up when he noticed a familiar witch sitting at one of the booth's in the far corner. He turned to Kim and Neville.

"I'll be right back," he told them.

"Ok," the couple replied in unison without taking their eyes from one another.

Dean knew that he shouldn't be doing this but found that his feet were already making their way towards the booth that Natasha and her date was occupying. He pushed his way through the crowds and it wasn't long before he reached them, a fake smile plastered on his face.

Natasha and her date were chatting enthusiastically and had yet to notice his presence. After Dean eyed up the man she was with, he was sure that the wizard in front of him could make any witch go weak at the knees, and straight away tensed up when seeing him with his Natasha.

"Wait. My What?"

"Hi," he said, causing them to both look up at him.

"Dean," Natasha said, immediately feeling awkward for some reason. "What are you doing here?"

Dean shrugged. "I just thought I'd come over and say, `hi'."

Natasha narrowed her eyes slightly. "Okay."

"What you're surprised to see me?" he replied, enjoying seeing her squirm. "You know that I'm in here most Friday nights. And Saturday's."

Natasha was feeling more and more uncomfortable with his presence and started biting her lip nervously. Dean was acting very weird. She glanced across the table at her date who was totally unaware of what was going on, as was she.

"Dean," Natasha started uneasily, then gestured to the wizard sat across form her. "This is my date, Ryan."

Ryan held his hand out. "Nice to meet you."

Dean grinned falsely and shook the man's hand reluctantly. He hated him already for some reason.

Ryan felt the grip get tighter and tighter, so slowly pulled his hand back before he lost all feeling in it. "It's nice to meet you, Dean" he said politely. "So, you guys are good friends?"

"Not exactly," Natasha replied feeling even more perturbed.

"Work colleagues?" Ryan tried to guess again.

"Nah nothing like that," Dean replied still smiling falsely. "We barely know each other to be honest."

"Oh," Ryan said confused. "So how do you know each other then?"

"We don't," Dean said before taking a swig of beer. He gulped down what was in his mouth then smirked. "I mean we fuck from time to time but that's about it."

"DEAN!" Natasha gasped loudly, before looking at Ryan and seeing his eyebrows rise in utter disbelief. She then stared at Dean with disgust. She couldn't understand why he was acting like such a prick?

Dean kept the smirk on his face while he met her stare. "Have a nice evening," he said snottily, before walking off.

Ryan cleared his throat and cast a sympathetic look towards the witch in front of him. "Well... he was an interesting chap."

Natasha put an elbow on the table and then a hand to her forehead. Why did Dean just do that?

"Ryan, I am so sorry," she apologised feeling completely mortified.

"Hey don't apologise," he said comfortingly. "You didn't do anything wrong."

Natasha was so confused. Dean had just acted like some jealous ex boyfriend. Yet it was him who made it clear to her from the very first night that they had gone to bed together that he was only in it for the sex, and that was fine because when it had happened, she had felt exactly the same way.

But the more time she spent with him the more she found herself really liking him. Deep down she had hoped that he would change his mind, but after what happened last week when they had fallen into bed yet again, she accepted that he never would and made the decision to move on. She didn't hold anything against him for that, he was just simply being who he was and that usually went with who she was, but not anymore. She wanted something different now. She had seen her friends starting to develop meaningful relationships and had decided that that was what she was ready for now too.

Natasha had had enough of meaningless sex and was ready to grow up, and she bore no judgement against Dean for seemingly not being ready for that himself, she just wanted something more than he did. Something she knew she wouldn't get from him.

So when she was asked out on an official date by a kind handsome wizard, she accepted without a second thought. Ryan was a really nice guy and she was enjoying their date thoroughly, until Dean came over and did what he did.

She didn't get it. They weren't in a relationship so they didn't have to answer to each other, but he was sure as hell going to explain why he did what he just did, even if she had to use the `Crucio' curse to get it out of him.

"Ryan," she said with a determined look on her face. "Would you excuse me please?"

"Sure," he nodded.

Natasha slid out of the booth intent on finding the man who had just wrecked her date.

After stepping out of the pub wondering what on earth had gotten into him, Dean stood outside the doors to zip up his jacket, before deciding to go to the other end of Hogsmede to drown his sorrows at The Hogs Head. He had told Neville and Kim that he suddenly didn't feel well, and that he would catch up with them the next day. It was partly truthful, it wasn't that he didn't feel well, but he certainly felt strange.

He started to walk down the street when he heard voice call out behind him.

"HEY!" a female voice shouted in anger.

He turned around and saw Natasha trudging towards him.

She had just stood up from the booth intent on finding him when she saw him leave the pub swiftly. She grabbed her purse and coat, apologised to Ryan for leaving so abruptly, and then followed Dean outside.

"What the hell was that about?" she asked crossly.

"What?" Dean asked trying to play dumb. He wished he knew himself.

"Oh don't play dumb!" she said fiercely. "I was having a great time in there with a really nice guy until you came over and fucked it all up for me!"

Dean desperately tried to think of something to say but found that he couldn't.

"Dean, what on earth possessed you to say something like that?!" she asked desperately wanting to know the answer. "I mean were you expecting me to go to bed with you again tonight is that it?!" Natasha saw by the look on his face that that was exactly what he was expecting. "So, you just got so pissed off that your usual nailed on fuck had other plans, that you had to go and ruin her entire evening?!"

Dean looked her in the eye and had the nerve to smirk. "Yeah maybe."

"Well I don't care what the reasons were! How dare you embarrass me like that?" Natasha fumed.

Dean didn't know how to answer. All he knew was that he had to do something when he saw her with that other wizard. "Nat, I'm sorry ok? I don't know what else to say."

"How about, `ow'?" she suggested angrily.

Dean shook his head and chuckled in confusion. "Why would I say, `ow'?"

Before he had chance to see it coming, Natasha rapidly pulled her fist back before thrusting it forward into his face.

"OW!" Dean howled loudly, clutching his face with both hands. The sheer force was enough to make him stumble back and go dizzy. Moments later and Dean managed to steady himself. He took his hands away from his face and saw some blood in his palms. After using his fingers to wipe some blood away from his nose, he amazingly started to laugh. "Ohhhhh, now I get it."

****

"Wow," Ginny said, before she spooned another blob of ice cream into her mouth. "This is really good." Hermione had just told her everything that had happened between her and Harry that evening including what had gone on the night before. They were now currently sitting on the sofa with their feet up each eating their own large tub of `Honeydukes double chocolate chip ice cream.

It had taken a while but Ginny had finally managed to calm her friend down, after which she suggested they stuff themselves with ice cream. Hermione was depressed and Ginny herself had been ratty that week, plus they were pregnant, so she reasoned that they both deserved to pig out.

And that was how they now found themselves.

Ginny understood completely where Hermione was coming from and agreed that she had every right to be upset with Harry. She had told her that honesty was a key point in every relationship and that she and Draco lived by it, but she also told her that Draco was exactly the same as Harry at the beginning of their courtship, and kept almost everything from her.

"I don't know Hermione. Maybe we should cut them some slack. I mean he and Draco didn't grow up in the environment that you and I did. We had parents that always let us know that honesty was the best way to go about things."

"But Ginny, that's such a kop out," Hermione whinged. "I'm not the Dursley's and you're not Lucius or Narcissa. Surely they can't go on using that as an excuse forever."

"Yeah I suppose," Ginny said licking her spoon.

"Well at least Draco is honest with you now," Hermione said in a whiny voice. "Why can't Harry be that way with me?"

"Hermione are you insane?" Ginny asked waving her spoon around. "Have you got any idea how many years I had to put into Draco, you think he just came out of a box like that?!"

"Ginny..."

"For someone as smart as you Hermione, you're incredibly thick sometimes," Ginny said as kind as she could. "You said yourself that Harry has started to open up to you when before he was completely closed off to everyone and everything. He's getting there Hermione but you have to give him some time to get use to it. The only reason that I know is because Draco was exactly the same."

Hermione sighed heavily knowing her friend was right. "God I'm such an idiot!" she exclaimed, slamming her back against the sofa.

"You're not an idiot," Ginny said comfortingly. "You just want everything to be perfect straight away and there is nothing wrong with that, but you just have to accept that it rarely happens that way."

Hermione didn't look convinced She still felt like the scum of the earth for what she had done to the man who's only crime in life was to love her more than he loved anything. Harry had tried to give her everything that she wanted in life and was really trying his best to open up to her as much as he could, but she had to be a bitch and say it wasn't good enough. Hermione knew that Harry had struggled his whole life to find someone that he could love and trust unconditionally, and was ecstatic that she was the one he chose, but what she had done to him that night would surely make him question whether he made the right decision or not.

When it came to opening up, Harry was still trying to get use to the concept. She had to admit that he was doing great lately and was telling her things that he would never dream of telling her before they were together. Even when he didn't tell her what was going on in his head straight away, he always did in the end, which was the only thing that mattered right?

Ginny was right. It was something that you had to work at in order to perfect it, especially when it involved someone who had had an upbringing like Harry.

Fuck.

"What am I going to do?" Hermione asked scared out of her wits.

Ginny put an arm around her. "I'll tell you what you're going to do. You and Harry are going to hash this thing out, kiss and make up, get married and become parents."

Hermione snorted. "You make it sound so simple."

"I didn't say it would be simple," Ginny pointed out. "It might be damn right ugly."

"That's what I thought," Hermione said sadly.

"But you will get through this," Ginny assured her. "And before you know it there will be so much honesty between you that you'll soon understand that it is not always the best policy."

"Not always the best policy?" Hermione asked looking at her like she was daft to think it wasn't. "How can you think that?"

Ginny narrowed her eyes as she thought about the answer. "Easy."

****

"You actually told Ginny that she looked like shit?" Harry asked amazed.

"Hey," Draco smirked and raised his beer in the air. "Here's to honesty."

Harry smiled as Draco clanked his bottle of beer against his. He too had not long got through telling Draco what had happened between him and Hermione. Draco had got up mid conversation to get some beers out of the fridge, handing one to Harry he then sat back down, listening intently. Harry had to admit that he was starting to feel better, after Draco had told him some of his experiences regarding honesty with Ginny.

"As I was saying," Draco said. "I was just like you Harry. But when I got with Gin, I knew that she deserved all of me regardless of whether she liked some of what she found out, even though it took me a while to actually get to that point with her. That's what being a couple is. I know that you live to make Hermione happy, I live to make Ginny happy, but things can't be happy all the time. And as soon as you get to grips with that, as soon as you realise that things can't be perfect no matter how much you try and make them that way, strangely enough the happier you'll be."

Harry let what his friend just said sink in. Why couldn't he have seen that from the start? Why did he have to find out things about his life in the cruellest way?

"You believe that?" he asked Draco just to be sure.

"I live by it, Harry," Draco smiled. "And in regards to the honesty thing, try looking at it this way. It's like someone who's been going to work the same way for say thirty years, and then suddenly, for whatever reason has to change their route. They're scared of having to go this other way. Really fucking scared. But they know they have to try. If the new path is unfamiliar then chances are they're going to get lost from time to time, but they know that they'll reach their destination eventually. And before you know it they get so use to their new direction that they decide that transition isn't always as bad they thought it would be. That's what opening up was like for me, Harry. I spent so long not doing it, that I struggled from time to time when I did, even though I knew it was the best way for me to go. I'm happy to say that I've mastered this new route to a tee."

Harry had never seen this side of Draco before, and he was honoured to say the least that he was getting to see it, all because Draco wanted to help him with his relationship. What he said made complete sense, except one thing.

"What if, for whatever reason of course, you have to go a different route again?" Harry asked.

"Then I'll cross that particular bridge should I ever come to it," Draco replied simply, before taking a swig of his beer.

Harry started picking the label of his bottle, satisfied with the answer he got. "Have I lost her, Draco?" he asked feeling extremely vulnerable.

Draco laughed at the absurdity of the question. "Harry, you had a fight. Couples fight. Just do me a favour ok?"

"If I can," Harry said with a small smile.

"Give her the honesty thing," Draco told him. "It can be fun at times you know, like what I said to Ginny about looking like shit. Play those kinds of games. Not the fucked up evil ones that you and Hermione have been getting involved in."

Harry looked at him with a new found resolve. "Right."

Draco nodded, convinced that Harry had finally come to his senses. "Now lets get up off of this floor before we get piles."

Harry laughed as he and Draco stood up.

Draco," Harry said, struggling to find the right words for what he wanted to say. "Thank you," decided to say, only he didn't think it was enough.

"Your welcome," Draco said and punched his arm playfully. "Now, you ready to get your girl?"

"I want to," Harry said honestly. "But maybe I should wait for her to come to me."

Draco understood. "You want me to give her a message?"

"Tell her that... I love her and to... please just come home," Harry replied softly.

Draco nodded. "You got it."

The blonde smiled at him once more before he disapparated.

Harry went over to the sofa and sat down, praying for Hermione to come back to him. He sat forward leaning his arms on his thighs, then stated bobbing one of his legs up and down anxiously.

He had to make things right, and it was then that he swore to himself that he would never keep anything from her ever again.

It was only ten minutes later when someone walked through the door quietly. Harry didn't notice her straight away.

"Hi," a gentle voice said to him.

Harry turned his head around and swiftly stood up.

There was complete silence for few moments. The tension thick.

"Hi," he said throatily, before smiling warmly at her.

He had no idea what to expect as Hermione stared at him for seemed like forever with an undecipherable look on her face.

Harry began feeling more fearful than ever, before something happened that warmed his heart completely.

Hermione smiled back.

****

Now you know you want to tell me what you thought of this one!

-->