Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just One More Thing by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just One More Thing

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

AN: Please note that Harry and Hermione could be seen as ooc in this chapter, how much ooc they are is up to you to decide. I've wrote them in a way that is critical to my story. Hope it doesn't bother you too much. Thanks!

Just One More Thing

Chapter Three

****

Harry broke his gaze with Hermione and stood up to look at Ron, who now was also standing and staring back at him with a look of utter shock written on his face. Hermione's nervous laugh brought their attention back to her.

With a smile and shrug of her shoulders Hermione broke the silence.

"Aren't you happy for me?" she asked.

Both men chanced another look at each other before Ron turned his head away from Harry, and answered Hermione. Blinking and shaking his head in a rapid fashion, "Yeah, yeah of course. Over the moon."

If looks could kill, Ron most certainly would have been dead if Harry's face were anything to go by. Ron walked over the short space that separated him and Hermione, and enveloped her in a hug. She happily reciprocated and kissed his cheek.

"I'm so glad. I was so nervous about telling you, I thought you'd go nuts." Hermione said.

Ron pulled back and gave a fake laugh. "Me? Nuts? Why would you think that?"

Hermione smiled at him and looked toward Harry. "What do you think Harry?!

Harry was still in a state of shock, and continued to open and close his mouth before finally answering. "Great." he said quietly.

Hermione looked disappointed that he didn't say more, but chose to ignore it. "I'm sorry darling but I have to move on with my life." she thought. She walked over to him, wrapped her arms around his neck and closed her eyes while hugging him tightly. Harry slowly brought his arms around her, and buried his head in her shoulder. "God she smells good." Hermione gave Harry a kiss on the cheek and broke their contact. When looking in his eyes she thought to herself, "I am always going to love you Harry. But I'm doing the right thing." When Harry felt water begin to reach his eyes, he looked away.

"Right well I'm gonna go call Ginny and tell her the good news. If you'll excuse me." Hermione left the room, leaving her two friends standing staring at each other. When Harry was sure she was out of ears shot, his mood changed dramatically.

"Why the hell didn't you go off on one?" he said fiercely to Ron. "The one time I needed you to be a prick and you let me down!

"Me?! I was waiting for you to say something!" Ron retorted.

"I never lose control like you do, why would I have said something?"

"Oh I don't know?!" Ron fired back, as though the answer was obvious. "Gods Harry when she told us she was getting married, all of your blood rushed to the wrong head! Your face resembled a jar of beetroot!"

Harry raked both hands through his hair. "This cannot be happening," exclaimed Harry.

****

"Oh fuck….Draco do it harder!" Ginny moaned.

Leaning on the palms of his hands, Draco Malfoy began franticly thrusting harder into his girlfriend after her request. It had been almost two weeks since they last saw each other, and Draco had just got back from an assignment that was handed to him by the ministry. Some Death Eaters had been spotted in France, and it was his turn to go track them down. He along with Harry had became an auror. Even though many thought letting him have this prestigious title was a risk, Draco surprised everyone when he delivered his father to the ministry himself. It was then that people decided to give the blond Slytherin the benefit of the doubt, he repaid them by earning his badge and defending the wizarding world with honour.

If someone in school had told him that this was going to be where he ended up, Draco would have laughed in their faces. But here he was, friends with many people who in school he thought he hated, a job he absolutely loved, and a girlfriend he would die for. Ginny Weasley had turned his life upside down, and amongst many other things told him, that the only time to be naughty was in bed.

As he saw Ginny begin to arch her back from the bed, he bent down and started to flicker her right nipple with his tongue. Keeping up his fast pace, he felt her starting to tighten around him. Draco lifted his head and felt sweat slide down his face on to Ginny's chest. Their eyes met and he leaned in close. "Ginny I love you."

"I love….you too," she said tying to meet his pace.

Just as they were about to succumb to a thrilling finale, the bedside table phone rang.

"Oh shit!" Draco said, still keeping up his thrusting. "Don't you fucking dare answer that phone."

Ginny gave him a pitied look and pushed at his shoulders with both hands. "Babe I have too it could be important." He stopped moving, slipped out of her and collapsed beside her on his back. "Why did we get that thing? Whatever happened to owls, floo's and fireplaces huh?" Ginny ignored the comment turned her back to him, and leant on her left forearm to answer the phone.

"Hello?" There was a brief pause. "Oh hi how are things?" As Ginny waited for a reply she threw Draco a look over her shoulder and mouthed, "Hermione." Draco threw his hands in the air and got out of bed. "I'm gonna go get a butterbeer, you want one?" he said while putting on some white boxers. Ginny had already turned her back to him again to listen to Hermione, but gave him a thumbs up with her free hand.

After Draco left the room, she trapped the phone between a side of her face and shoulder, and started smoothing back her red locks. "Yeah things are fine, Draco got back a couple of hours ago." she took a deep breath. "Don't be silly Hermione you're not disturbing anything," Ginny said with her fingers crossed. "We were just playing a game." After a while she started laughing. "Never can put anything past you Hermione." Ginny smiled when Draco entered the room with two freezing cold butter beers. She put her hand out to take one at the same time as blowing him a kiss.

"So what's going on with you anyway? You sound a little different." Draco sat down on the bed next to Ginny, who started to swig her drink. Moments after putting the drink to her lips, something on the other end of the phone made her spit out all of the butterbeer that was in her mouth. Draco had concern etched on his face.

"Babe what is it?" Draco asked. Ginny covered the bottom end of the receiver with her hand, turned to him and said, "Hermione's getting married."

Draco thought his eyes would pop out of his head. "And Potter's heart is still beating?" he asked Ginny.

Ginny took away the hand that was blocking the receiver, and thought about what to say next. "So Hermione, when did all this happen?"

****

Harry was currently leaning against a wall looking out the living room window, with his arms crossed. A stance that he had been in for a while. Every face he made, and actions, were carefully being watched by Ron, who on the other side of the room was sitting in one of the overly large chairs. Ever since Hermione had left the room, they had barely spoken. Ron couldn't handle anymore silence.

"So, do you wanna talk about it?" he asked.

Harry turned his head to the side so that it was in line with his shoulder. He glanced down and softly spoke. "What is there left to say? She's getting married. She's going to get her 'Happy Ever After'."

"Oh come off it Harry, I know what's going on here." thought Ron. "All you have to do is tell me. I'm not going to get angry."

Ron looked at him with a curious gaze.

"But she's not marrying the right guy is she?" Ron asked. Harry turned around the rest of the way, and faced Ron with his arms still crossed.

"Is she?" again questioned Ron more forcefully.

Harry stared at him for what seemed like hours, before feeling the need to get out of the flat as soon as he possibly could. There was no way he could deal with these emotions right now. Especially not in front of Ron, and definitely not in front of Hermione. He looked down to the floor and up again.

"I'm going out for a while," he told Ron. Harry picked up his jacket from off one of the dinning chairs, and started walking towards the door. The red head snorted, shook his head and threw him a sarcastic smile.

"That's right run away." Ron said under his breath. This comment stopped Harry dead in his tracks, and he faced his friend.

"What did you say?" Harry asked fiercely.

"You're running away." Ron answered. Harry looked at him stony-faced.

"Ok then Ron seeing as you're being so insightful, what exactly am I running from?"

"Hermione's getting married Harry." Ron stood up. He was desperate to find any emotion on Harry's face, only to find that it was more closed off now than ever before.

"Yes. She is. And I'm sorry that I'm struggling to grasp exactly which part of MY life, is Hermione's little announcement suppose to effect."

Without waiting for a retort, Harry walked out of the flat, slamming the door behind him. Ron put both hands on his hips, looked upwards and let out a huge sigh. He saw Hermione entering the living room.

"Hi." Ron said.

"Hi. I just told Ginny about---."

"Oh yeah, what did she think?" asked Ron.

"She said both her and Draco are happy for me." Hermione replied.

"Oh good, that's good." Ron continued to nervously grin at her. Hermione scoped the flat as if she were looking for something.

"Erm…where's Harry? Hermione queried softly.

"Oh he just stepped out for a second."

"Oh." Hermione crossed her arms as though she was cold. Ron hated to see the look of disappointment on her face, She looked so sad. After telling your best friends this kind of news, one might expect somewhat of a celebration, but the only one to share her newfound happiness was Ron.

"I don't think he will be all that long." Ron said, trying to convince himself as well as Hermione.

Hermione put on a brave smile. She still couldn't understand why, after what was supposed to be one of the happiest nights of her life, she still felt so incredibly alone.

****

When Harry entered The Three Broomsticks, he was happy to see only a small amount of people there. He took a seat at the bar, and was soon approached by Madam Rosmerta. She put both hands on the bar, and looked at Harry's pitiful face.

"Harry, it's not like you to be in here so late." she said.

"Well I had nothing better to do." He looked up at the mirror above him, and then back at Madam Rosmerta.

"Give me the strongest thing you got, and keep it coming." Harry threw a dozen galleons on the bar in front of her.

"Are you kidding me?" Harry smiled at her.

"That was very cliché wasn't it?" he raked his right hand through his hair.

"Just a tad. Glass of Ogden's coming right up darlin." she turned around, grabbed the bottle of old firewhiskey and filled the small glass to the top. When she placed it down in front of Harry, it had barely touched the bar when he lifted the drink to his lips, and downed the lot. After slamming the now empty glass down, he took a deep breath and stared at the bar maid.

"Maybe it would be best to just leave the bottle huh?" he said. She leaned a little closer to him.

"Whatever the problem Harry, you're not going to find the answer in the bottom of a whiskey bottle." Harry gave a cheeky grin.

"Yeah but it'll make me feel better." he paused for a moment when madam Rosmerta leaned back and crossed her arms, then added, "And whatever happened to the customers always right?" She turned around after thinking for a while, grabbed the firewhisky and put the bottle in front of Harry.

"Just do me the courtesy of puking in the toilet, and not on the bar floor like most of my customers." Harry took and raised the bottle to her in a toasting fashion, before she walked down the other end of the bar.

****

Hermione looked at her watch for what felt like the one hundredth time. Ron had not long gone to bed when she decided to lay across the sofa, and do some light reading. She wanted to wait for Harry to return so that she could talk to him about why he had left so abruptly. Hermione could tell by his face that he wasn't exactly thrilled at the idea of her marrying Steven when she announced it earlier. But what she couldn't understand is why he hated him so much. He had only met the man twice, and didn't really know that much about him. Maybe that was the problem. She had kept her relationship to herself, and never really discussed it with her two best friends. Could it be that he thought Hermione didn't want to confide in him anymore? All of these thought's were going around in her head, and though they were all good theory's, she wasn't even close to figuring out why Harry had started to distance himself once again. She looked at her watch once more, it was 1.30am. I'll wait up just a little longer." she thought. Hermione continued to read, but it wasn't long before she felt her eyes begin to close.

****

Madam Rosmerta shook her head when glancing at the other end of the bar. Harry Potter was on his way to being absolutely shit faced. He was nursing the now quarter full whiskey bottle as if it were a baby. She was disturbed from her thoughts when the bells chimed to indicate another customer.

The tall, attractive blonde haired woman approached that bar, and set her bag down on top of it. She was about to order her drink when she looked to her left, and spotted none other than Harry Potter. She smiled and looked back to Rosmerta.

"I'll have whatever he's having." she said.

"I wouldn't recommend that dear." Rosmerta answered. "Besides I don't think we have much left after the way he's been ramming it down his neck."

"I'll just take a red currant rum then, thank you." The blonde picked up her bag as Rosmerta started to prepare her drink.

"I'll be over there with him." When she approached Harry, she was merely inches away when he finally noticed her presence. After turning his head to meet hers, he blinked a couple of times.

"Kate." he said groggily. "What's you doing in here this time?"

"Struggling with your words a bit there Harry?" she asked. He simply smiled at her, then lifted the glass to his lips again.

"How many of those have you had?" she enquired. Harry looked at her and raised his eyebrows.

"Not nearly enough." By that time madam Rosmerta had returned with Kate's drink, and caught on to the conversation. He made a baby face.

"Well that's too bad cause you're not having anymore." Rosmerta said pointedly.

"Arrhh!" he whined. Rosmerta shook her head and walked away. He turned his attentions to Kate.

"You never told me what you were doing here." he said slowly.

"I had to work late. I didn't start until gone 7.00, and on the way home I fancied a drink." she answered. "What's your story?" Harry hiccupped.

"Too long to tell." he stared straight ahead.

"Ok we'll talk about me then." She took a sip from her drink and clasped her hands together excitedly.

"Ok." he tuned his attentions toward her.

"I have some really great news." she said happily.

"Yeah?" he egged her to continue. "What?" Kate closed her eyes.

"I'm getting married!" she exclaimed. Harry's eyes bulged out of his head.

"Not you as well!" Harry said in annoyed voice, but felt guilty when he saw Kate's face. "I'm sorry. You caught me at a bad time. I really am happy for you." He put an arm around her and kissed her cheek. "Congratulations."

"Thanks Harry." Kate replied.

"Josh is a very lucky man." Harry took another sip of whiskey, while Kate looked in thought about something.

"Harry can I ask you something really personal?" Harry thought for a second before answering.

"Depends what it is." she smiled.

"What do you think would have happened between us if you were able to get an erection that night ?" Kate grinned at Harry's shocked face and before either knew what was happening, both burst out laughing. After the laughter turned in to small giggles, Harry spoke whilst wearing a toothy grin.

"I thought we agreed we were never going to bring that up." Harry said.

"I couldn't resist. Besides I was being semi serious." she brought her drink to her mouth and gulped some down, waiting for Harry to answer.

"Well, we probably would have tried and failed miserably to have a relationship." After a brief pause he continued. "I never told anyone that I failed to rise to the occasion. I said I went with to bed with you which was true. I never told anyone all we actually did was in fact sleep together." he closed his eyes. "How embarrassing!" he remembered.

"Don't be so tough on yourself." Kate said. "You had a lot to drink, and I could tell that your mind was elsewhere."

His mind was elsewhere alright. That night followed the day Hermione had introduced Steven to him and Ron for the first time. He found himself then in the same place he was now. Getting smashed, and running in to Kate. They had rented a room out at The Leaky Cauldron and attempted to have sex. But no matter what they did, Harry's body just wouldn't respond to her. Fortunately Kate was good enough to say it was just fate, and maybe it wasn't meant to happen. Days after the incident, Harry began to think that he could be impotent. But he had worried over nothing, because one morning when he passed Hermione in the kitchen, Harry Jnr popped up to say hello. She wore only her white silk bathrobe that Harry had brought for her birthday, and had wet hair after coming out of the shower. He of course could then only picture her naked, and went to his bedroom where it took one whole hour, and some very naughty images of his best friend to get his dick to go down. It was something that was now happening on a much more regular basis than before.

When he next ran into Kate at the ministry, he introduced her to Josh Markham. An auror in training that Harry had taken under his wing to show the ropes to so to speak. Josh and Kate had quickly become a couple, and were perfect for each other.

"I'm glad to see things have worked out for you." Harry said sincerely.

"I'll never thank you enough for bringing him into my life Harry." Kate kissed his cheek.

"You would have found each other eventually." Harry drank what was left in his glass.

"Who knows it might be you next." Kate said. Harry emptied his glass and calmly put it down on the bar. He than gave Kate a sad smile.

"I don't think so." Harry stood up and checked the weight in his legs by giving them a little shake. "I best get go goin" He threw down some extra galleons.

"Are you going to be okay getting home Harry?" She asked with concern.

"I'm fine. I'm pissed out of my skull, but it isn't the first time." he gave her a friendly hug and peck on the cheek.

"Take care Harry, see you soon yeah?" Kate saw Madam Rosmerta approach them.

"See you soon Harry, and thanks for the tip." Rosmerta waved to him.

"See you ladies later." Harry went through the pub door, closed it after him and dissaparated.

The barmaid and Kate looked at each other.

"Poor guy. He looked devastated about something." Rosmerta said.

"Hmm." Kate agreed. In the short time she had known Harry Potter, he had never looked so lost. When Rosmerta was clearing away bottles, Kate shook her head in disbelief, and softly spoke to herself. "Hermione Granger has no idea how lucky she is."

During the whole time in The Three broomsticks, Harry, Kate, nor Madam Rosmerta noticed a medium built, brown haired, hazel eyed man watching them closely from his booth all night. On of the bar staff approached him with a piece of parchment and a quill.

"Here's the tab you wished to settle Mr Atkins." Steven gave a sly grin and took the quill and parchment.

"Wonderful." he signed the tab, and left The Three Broomsticks.

****

Harry arrived just outside the flat he shared with Ron and Hermione. Being so late, he decided against apparating inside the flat in case he woke either of them. Half an hour after trying to find the right key for the keyhole, Harry crept through the front door as quietly as he could. After closing the door behind him, he made his way towards his bedroom, only to be stopped in his tracks at one of the most beautiful things he had ever seen.

Hermione fast asleep on the their sofa.

He couldn't resist getting closer. He walked round so that he was standing directly in front of the sofa. She had her right arm sprawled about above her, her left clutching a book loosely against her chest. Harry turned his head a little so that it was at the same angle as Hermione's. "She's so beautiful." He smiled. "God when did I start becoming sober? He thought. Grabbing the blanket above her, he covered her body up so she wouldn't get cold. Taking a seat on the table opposite the sofa, Harry reached out and put a strand of hair that had fallen into her face, behind her ear. Having had a drink, he got the courage he needed to stroke her cheek with his thumb. Harry crouched over and pressed his lips to her forehead, where he let them linger longer than he thought he should. He stood again.

"Sweet dreams princess." he whispered, before going to his room. She was so far in the land of dreams, her eyes had barely fluttered. But the moment Harry's door shut, she let out a whimpered sound and clutched her book as if it were a person.

"Hmm Harry." Hermione moaned. Then she was fast asleep again.

****

At the sound of his curtains being opened rapidly, Harry shot up in bed and stared across the room into the eyes of a smiling Ron Weasley.

"Time to get up sunshine." Ron placed a cup on to Harry's bedside table. "One hangover potion."

"I'm not hung-over." Harry placed a saluting hand to his forehead, to block out some of the sunshine that was streaming through his window.

"Did you just see that?" Ron pointed to the window.

"What?" Harry asked.

"That pig that just flew past." Harry used his other hand to extend his middle finger.

"Just drink it Harry. It will make you feel better." Harry leant over o the side table, and took the drink that Ron prepared for him. He looked inside the cup at the thick substance, and grimaced before wolfing down the whole lot.

"Remus owled you this morning." Ron passed him the letter.

Harry reached over and took it. "What did he want?"

"I don't know I don't read other peoples owls." Ron put his hand on his hips in a Hermione way. " I think he was worried when you didn't show up at work this morning." Harry shook his head.

"Shit!" he cursed and scratched the back of his head. "I forgot it was Monday."

"So did you manage to wash away most of your problems?" Ron's hands dropped from his hips, and in to his pockets.

Harry glared at him. "What the fucks that supposed to mean?" he started to feel the effects of the potion, and was glad to feel the headache he woke up with quickly fading away. "I just fancied a drink ok?"

The redhead smirked. "That's what most alcoholics say."

Harry snorted. "An alcoholic?" he got out of bed, and Ron was relieved to see him wearing boxer shorts. He followed Harry out of his bedroom into the kitchen. "Ron all I did was go for a drink ok? Last time I knew that wasn't illegal." he took a glass from the cupboard above the sink, and filled it with water.

"And you left me to deal with Hermione." Harry turned around to face him.

"What do you mean DEAL with Hermione? I wasn't aware that she was a pet." he stated to drink the water in huge gulps. Even though the potion had done the trick, he still felt awfully dehydrated.

"You know what I'm talking about. Didn't you think that Hermione was going to find it a tad odd, that after she told us she was getting married, her best friend leaves practically straight away without talking about it with her?"

Harry finished his drink. "Did I need her permission?!" he turned around to the sink once more and refilled his glass to the top.

"Why are you being such an arse?" Harry began drinking his second glass of water facing away from him. "All she wanted to do was to talk about what her plans were. The only thing you achieved by storming out, was to make Hermione think that you don't give a flying hippogriffs arse about anything that's going on in her life."

Harry calmly put the glass in to the sink, and again faced his friend before leaning his hands against the sink.. "First of all, I didn't storm out." Ron crossed his arms. "And second of all, you're right," Harry took his hands from the sink, and took a step towards Ron, who was now only inches away from his face. "I don't give a flying hippogriffs arse about what's going on in Hermione's life."

Harry walked away and headed for his room when Ron's voice stopped him in his tracks. "So you usually stay out past three, and get so smashed that you can't remember you usually work on Monday's."

Harry slowly turned around. "Wait up for me did you?"

"No, Hermione did." Harry found himself fondly remembering last night, when he caught her sleeping. "So that's why she was asleep on the sofa." the jealous side of Harry started to return. "How touching." Ron looked away before giving him a sympathetic look.

"I don't like him either." Harry raised his eyebrows. "But if he makes Hermione happy, then we have to accept it. You want her to be happy don't you?" Harry looked down then back up at Ron.

"Not with him. She's not happy, she just thinks she is." Ron approached his friend with a thoughtful look on his face.

"Who do you think could make her happy?" Ron was looking for any kind of emotion from Harry that could confirm his suspicions, but didn't find it and gave up for the time being "Harry, I owled Remus and told him you weren't feeling too good and so not to expect you today. I know it wasn't my place but I didn't want you to have to face any sticky questions later."

"Thanks Ron. Sorry about being a prick just then, I just got a lot on my mind." Ron smirked.

"I know Harry." Harry gave a confused look and Ron continued. "You know I'm leaving with the team for Ireland tomorrow right?

"That's tomorrow?" said Harry. Ron nodded excitedly. "Wow that came round fast."

"Yeah, seems like only yesterday when we were talking about it. 3 months ago you know." Harry shook his head.

"Time does fly." Harry said.

Ron went back to being serious. "I'm gonna be spending the tonight at Luna's, I wont be back till tomorrow afternoon, and only then for a couple of hours. I'm leaving at 2.00 and I'll be back Friday morning."

"Okay I'll make sure I'm around." Harry looked down at himself. "I better go get showered."

"Yeah cause you look like shit." Ron joked.

As Harry walked through the living room towards the bathroom, Ron's voice stopped him again, and he turned, "Harry, I don't mean to go on or owt, but regarding Hermione, give her a break okay. I don't think you understand just how upset she was when you left last night."

Harry remained silent. "Well I gotta nip to Diagon Alley to get some things for my trip, you want anything?"

"No I'm good thanks." Harry replied but changed his mind. "Oh no wait, could you go to Eeylops and get Hedwig some owl treats?"

Ron laughed. "Sure." He grabbed his cloak and went to the front door. "See you later Harry, and please, think about what I said" He left.

Harry stood still under the shower, leaning his hands out against the wall in front of him. He had no idea why he gave Ron a hard time this morning, but it seemed that every time Hermione's name was mentioned lately, he put up a defensive wall to mask his feelings. He was afraid that the slightest thing such as a tear or a frown, would allow people to discover how he really felt about his best female friend.

As the hot water made contact with his body, he tried but failed to remember the last time he felt so tense, frustrated, and most of all, scared beyond belief. He hated that she had another man in her life that he knew nothing about. Every other male friend they had, had been with them at Hogwarts, most of which were now settling down.

Steven was different. He was a snake. He doesn't deserve Her. But when it came down to it, he hated him purely because Steven had the one thing in life that he wanted above all else, and it was killing him. Harry ran a hand through his wet mop of hair, and shook his head a few times. Why couldn't he just tell her how he felt? He resigned himself to the reason that he was in such a mood, was because Hermione was slipping away from him more and more everyday. He didn't know which was worse, the fact that he couldn't bring himself to do anything about it, or because it was all his fault.

While in the bedroom getting dressed, he thought of an idea of what to do with the rest of his day. He decided not to go into work at all today, so he owled Remus and said that he wouldn't be there but not to worry, he would explain later. He also decided to go to St Mungo's, and take Hermione to dinner in her lunch hour. If he had hurt her by leaving last night, he had to make it up to her.

****

Harry arrived at the Purge and Dowse Ltd 'closed for refurbishment' department store, and spoke to the ugly dummy in the window.

"Hermione Granger, Ground Floor please." The ugly dummy nodded its assent, and Harry entered.

When he got inside the hospital, he noticed only a few people were there, and only a couple wearing lime green robes. He approached the reception desk ready to ask the whereabouts of his favourite which, when he heard her voice.

"Harry." Hermione said shocked to see him "Are you ok?, you're not hurt are you? Why aren't you at work?

Harry turned round, looked into her eyes, and laughed. "Gods Hermione slow down."

Hermione scanned his whole body with her eyes looking for injuries. "Yeah right, you give any excuse to check him out."

Harry interrupted her thoughts. "Yes, no and I felt like the day off."

Hermione looked relieved. "So what brings you here of all places?"

"You." he said simply.

"Me?" Hermione replied.

"I thought maybe we could go out and get some dinner?" he said with a grin. "Your lunch break is right about now isn't it?"

"Yeah, that sounds great. It's a really sweet thought" she said softly, and smiled back at him. "I just have one more patient to go check on, then we can go ok?"

"Ok." Harry put his hands in his pockets.

"Where were you thinking" Hermione asked.

"Anywhere you want, you decide." Hermione couldn't have smiled any wider.

"Really?" Hermione said happily.

"Yeah really, you know what I'm like, I'm easily pleased when it comes to food." Harry told her.

"Well the weather is quite good out, so how about a café in Diagon Alley. We could eat lunch outside." Hermione suggested.

"Perfect." Harry said.

"Ok well give me 10 minutes, and I'll be right with you." Hermione gave one last smile and went to tend to her last patient.

Harry let out a sigh of relief. After Ron had told him about how upset she was with him last night, he didn't know how she would react to him being there. When he had suggested dinner, her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree and she looked excited. About dinner. And then she did it. She smiled at him. He loved it when she did that, her smile was one of the many things he loved about her, it was some thing that made him feel instant happiness. Harry started to feel sad. He knew the minute that she announced her engagement, that their relationship had been altered forever. She was getting married, to someone he hated. Hermione and Steven were going to be husband and wife, living together, and building their lives around each other. Where did that leave him? He would never see her. She would be more committed to Steven. Her husband. "I feel sick." Harry thought. While in his own little world, Hermione approached him.

"Harry." she alerted him to her presence. Harry shook his head clear, and all was well again when he saw her face.

"You ready?" Harry asked.

"Absolutely." Hermione smiled. Walking side by side, they left St Mungo's hospital and headed for Diagon Alley.

****

When they arrived at Diagon Alley, they sat outside the café with the brightly coloured umbrellas. Harry had always had a soft spot for this café in particular, which is why Hermione chose it. They ordered lunch, had general chit chat, that included Ron's trip to Ireland and Lavender's weird pregnancy cravings. After they ate, they ordered another drink, when the subject turned to Hermione's job.

"So how's life in the Artifact accidents ward treating you?" Harry asked.

"Not too bad. I'm glad they moved me from the magical bugs floor, some of the embedded spider injuries were freaking me out, I'm much accustomed to what I'm doing now." she said.

"How so?" Harry questioned.

"Well, simple really." She put her hands together under her chin. "I'm mainly dealing with wand backfires and broom crashes.

"And you enjoy that." Harry grinned.

"To say I enjoy it would be going to far, its just familiar." she smiled at him. "There is no real shock anymore to the injuries, seeing as how I'm yet to see one that you never had at school.

Harry laughed. "Well I'm glad my misfortunes are making your job a lot easier." Hermione looked in to his eyes, and got lost when he stared back. Harry looked down and cleared his throat. He had to bring it up, she had probably been waiting for him to say something about her engagement He swallowed the lump in his throat and raised his head.

"So, do I get to see the ring?" Harry asked.

Hermione lifted her left hand in front of his eyes, and exposed the pitifully small diamond, that sat on a gold band.

"I know its small, but---," whatever Hermione was about to say, was cut off when Harry took her small left hand in both of his big hands, and studied the ring. She felt a jolt of electricity go through her, her face started to heat up. She loved his big masculine hands, and hers fit perfectly inside them. Steven had bony fingers, and she didn't think that much to them. But you don't judge people by hands. Do you? It didn't matter, everything about Steven, she compared to Harry. She couldn't help it, no matter how hard she tried.

"Its nice." Harry let go of her hand.

"Thanks." Hermione put her hands beneath the table.

"So have you thought about where you're going to have it?" Harry ran a hand through his hair, this conversation was not one he wanted to be having, but he had too for Hermione's sake.

"We're having it at his parents estate in Yorkshire. They have a large green and lake, so we're just planning on putting up a gazebo for the reception. They also want us to get married in a church." Hermione bit her lip, looked to her side and then down .

"Just a minute." Hermione returned her attention to Harry. "You said that you wanted to get married at Hogwarts.

"That was ages ago." Hermione nervously said. "I never expected it to really happen."

"Why not?" Harry asked. "I thought it was a great idea."

"Steven didn't think it would be appropriate. Besides he and his parents have muggle friends that they wish to invite." Hermione took a sip of her pumpkin juice.

Harry looked at her sadly. "Hermione its your wedding day, you're allowed to have a say in it you know."

"I know that Harry thank you." Hermione said defensively.

Changing the subject a little, Harry asked, "How about, after the wedding?"

"The honeymoon?" Hermione asked. Harry had purposefully avoided that word, he didn't even want to say it let alone think it. "I'd love to go Rome, see things like the Coliseum and find out about the Gladiators, Cesar and so on."

"I never thought you would be into that kinda stuff." Harry shook his head in wonder. "Coliseum holds history to brutal and bloody messes. And it was done for fun."

Hermione grinned and shrugged her shoulders. "It fascinates me." She pushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear. Harry loved it when she did that too. To be honest, there wasn't anything about Hermione Granger that he didn't love. "Oh and Venice. To see the famous Romeo and Juliet balcony, and to ride in a gondola would be fantastic." she blushed when she saw Harry grinning madly at her. "I suppose to want to go to Rome and Venice is a bit greedy really isn't it?"

"Why? Their both in Italy so why not?" she smiled gratefully. "Besides, you've asked never for too much." the smile slowly fell from her face. "You deserve to be happy, and more."

"Thank you." she said. Harry drank the rest of his juice, put down the glass and smiled at her. Hermione looked at her watch. "God look at the time, Harry I really must be getting back to work." They stood up at the same time. "Thank you so much for this, I really enjoyed it."

"You're welcome." she started to root around her bag for her purse, when Harry put his hand up. "Please Hermione. My treat." Before she could start to protest he raised his hand again. "I insist."

She walked towards him, tiptoed and Harry closed his eyes as she kissed his cheek. "I'll see you later ok?"

"With Ron staying at Luna's tonight, wanna get some takeout and watch a DVD? Harry asked.

Hermione looked disappointed. "I'm having tea at Steven's later, straight after work. I'm sorry."

Harry shrugged. "Oh no that's ok, no problem." Inside he was gutted.

"Tell you what. I'll have tea at Steven's but I'm not going to be too late because I have work in the morning." Hermione put a finger to her lips briefly before carrying on. "Don't start the DVD without me. Get anything you want, Terminator, Rocky, Robotic Cop, I'm easy."

Harry laughed, "That's Robocop Hermione."

"Whatever, you know what I meant." She swung her bag over her shoulder. "I can't wait. It'll be fun. I wont be late promise."

"I'll go back to Mungo's with you." Harry offered.

"There's no need Harry, I'll be fine on my own." Hermione said.

"Please. I want to." Hermione looked at him, and gave him a look of appreciation. Harry left enough galleons to cover the bill, and followed Hermione back on to the alley.

****

Ron was in Quality Quidditch Supplies buying some things for his trip, when Draco Malfoy appeared over his shoulder.

"Hey Weasel bee. Fancy seeing you here." said Draco.

Ron's eyes narrowed, as he turned to meet Draco's face. "I have asked you countless times, not to call me that Blondie." Draco smirked at Ron's annoyed features. "And shouldn't you be at work?"

"I was called in early this morning to fill out some documents that I'd forgot to complete when I returned from France, even though it's suppose to be my day off." Draco replied.

"What would we do without you?" Ron said sarcastically.

Draco smirked and cocked his head to the side. "Didn't see Potty there this morning, he's usually the first one in.

"He took the day off, he wasn't feeling so good." Ron answered.

"He looked ok to me a minute ago." Draco smiled at Ron's face.

"What you going on about?" Ron asked.

Draco picked up a broom and started to examine it closely. "Just saw him with Hermione." He looked at Ron. "Looked like they were having a bonding moment."

Ron grinned inwardly. "Good he took my advice."

"Advice about what?" Draco questioned.

"Don't say anything, but, Harry didn't take it so well when Hermione told us she was getting married." Ron scratched the back of his head.

"That's shocking." Draco grinned. "I'm afraid that little story lacks the element of surprise" Draco put the broom back and walked to the other side of Ron.

"He got pissed as a fart last night, and forgot what day it was." Ron said. Draco picked up a Chudley Cannons shirt.

"Why doesn't he just tell her how he feels and then we can all get on with our lives." Draco held the shirt out in front of him.

"I know. I've tried to get him to admit it, but its like talking to a brick wall." Ron rubbed his forehead. "He actually believes that he's fooling everyone."

"But he's fooling the one person that matters." Draco placed the shirt over his arm. "Hermione."

"Draco, that's what's even more infuriating, Hermione loves him I know she does. But neither of them have the maturity to make the first move. They're both stubborn arseholes at times." Ron shook his head in frustration.

"You can say that again." Draco agreed. "Look we just gotta hope that they'll figure it out in time before she makes a big mistake.

"Why can't we say anything?" Ron asked.

"Its not our place. They have to figure this out for themselves." Draco put a hand through his hair. "We have to let fate decide this one.

"But in the meantime, I'm still allowed to coerce it out of him right?"

Draco nodded vigorously, "Sure there's nothing wrong with nudging."

"Oh and another thing, why are you buying a Chudley Cannons top?" Ron queried.

"Its not for me, its for Gin, said she'd feel like she was giving you luck by wearing it tomorrow." Draco answered.

"Sweet sis." Ron smiled, and Draco rolled his eyes.

"Sickening." Draco said, and took out galleons to pay for the top.

****

Harry entered the flat with a massive grin. He had really enjoyed his lunch with Hermione. When she returned to the hospital, Harry wondered the streets of muggle London, and picked up a DVD he thought Hermione would enjoy. Even though she was having tea at Steven's, and wouldn't need anything cooking, Harry didn't think that it would do any harm to buy a bottle of wine to go along with the movie. She assured him that she wouldn't be too late. He took the DVD, Gladiator, out of the bag and placed it on the breakfast bar along with the wine. After their earlier conversation about her fascination with Rome and the Coliseum, Harry decided it was perfect. He was certain she had yet to watch it.

Just as he threw his coat on one of the stool's, he heard a popping sound to his right. He withdrew his wand quickly from the back of his jeans, and found himself pointing it in the face of an amused Remus Lupin. Remus had apparated into the living room.

Harry put his wand down, and sighed relief. "You have got to stop doing that!"

Remus chuckled and stepped toward him. "Always be prepared for the unexpected Harry."

"Yeah right." Harry hugged Remus and gave him a pat on the back. He pulled back. "Drink?"

"Er no, I can't stay long, I'm meeting with Tonks shortly." Remus gave a Harry a concerned look. "I came to see how you're doing."

Harry shrugged. "I'm fine."

"Ron said that you weren't feeling too good earlier." Remus took at a seat at the dinning table, Harry followed and sat opposite him.

"No, but I'm ok now. I just felt a little out of sorts." Harry leant back and folded his arms. A regular thing Harry did, that Remus recognised as a defence.

Remus rubbed his chin. "Ron made the potion correct then."

"What potion?" asked Harry.

"Hangover potion. When Ron sent an owl telling me you weren't going to be in, I wrote back detailing how to make it." Remus spread his arms on the table and gave Harry a grin.

"I'm afraid he left that part out. So he told you huh?" Harry put his hands behind his head.

"No. When he said that you were still in bed, and not what was wrong with you, I guessed. Not like you to miss work." Remus trailed his lips with his fingers.

"I went out for a drink last night, and I one too many ok? It wont happen again." Harry assured.

"Harry I'm not here to scold you. I just wanted to know that you were ok." he leaned forward. "Are you ok?"

"Remus I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?" Harry exasperated.

"Ron told me that Hermione is getting married." said Lupin.

Harry raised a hand in mid air and shrugged. "So."

"How do you feel about that?" Remus asked softly.

"Fine." Harry looked away.

"Harry I know that I can't replace your parents, or Sirius for that matter. But I want you to know, that I will always be here for you, should you need to discuss anything that maybe troubling you." Remus looked at Harry straight in the eyes.

"I appreciate that, really I do. But I'm fine. All Hermione getting married means is that she's getting on with her life. Its her choice." Harry looked anywhere but at Remus.

Remus decided that he wasn't going to get anything out of him right now, and pushed no further. He rose from his chair as did Harry.

"Well I must be going. Tonks hates waiting, She send her wishes." Remus headed for the door.

"Give her my regards." said Harry.

"Of course. Will you be at work tomorrow?" Remus seemed hopeful.

"Yeah I'll be there." Remus smiled in reply. "Remus. Thanks."

"Remember Harry, we all deserve happiness. Even if we think it cannot be ours." With that he left Harry standing lost.

****

Hermione arrived at Steven's home in Bayswater. He owned a house, or rather a house that his mummy and daddy paid for him. It possessed some breathtaking view of Hyde Park, that could be seen from the first floor. She apparated into his living room, and made her way to his private study where he was usually situated. Upon entering, she found him at his desk, examining what looked to be Abyssinian Shrilfig.

"I'm here." Hermione announced.

"I'm rather busy at the moment petal, I didn't have time to start dinner, but everything we need is on the kitchen side. So if you could cook it up, it would be great. Chicken is in the fridge." Steven said without so much as glancing in her direction.

Hermione looked at him dumbfounded. "Steven, I've been at work all day."

"I realise that but I'm working now. It wont take you long."

"Can't you at least do me the courtesy of looking at me, when you speak?" Hermione asked. Steven put down the plant, removed his glasses and turned to look at her.

"How was your day?" Steven cocked his head to the side.

"It was good." Hermione said softly.

"Great, mine was too. Now that we've exchanged formalities, perhaps I could get back to work now, that is if you don't mind?" he put his glasses back on, and continued his prior administrations. Hermione stared at the floor and quietly left the room.

After an hour in the kitchen preparing dinner, Steven finally came downstairs and joined her. He walked up to her at the stove, kissed her head and went to the fridge. Pulling out a beer, he turned to her.

"That smell's wonderful dear." Steven put the bottle to his lips and began to drink.

"Well I should hope so, I've spent over an hour on it." Hermione muttered.

"What's that?" Steven asked.

"Nothing." Hermione replied.

"Ok well I'm going to put the television on, call me when its ready will you?" Steven left the kitchen and a bewildered looking Hermione.

After dinner, Steven was writing on some parchments at his desk, just across from where Hermione was sitting on the sofa, reading Bridal Magazine. Still scribbling with his quill, Steven spoke, "You'll never guess who I ran into last night."

Hermione looked up from her magazine which she kept in her hands. "Who?"

Steven grinned, put down his quill, and turned around in his chair so that he could see her face. "Harry."

Hermione looked at him strangely. "Are you sure?" Steven nodded. "Where?"

"At The Three Broomsticks. I was working quite late and fancied a drink on the way home, so I popped in." Steven continued. "Completely drunk as well."

"That doesn't sound like him." Hermione said. "Did you speak to him?"

"No he ignored me. He glanced in my direction and didn't bother to come over." lied Steven. "Mind you he did have company."

Hermione could hear her heart going a mile a minute. "Who was he with?"

"Oh just some common tart. I think I saw her once at the ministry when I accompanied Neville there." Hermione wore a sad expression. " She was blonde, I think her name was Kate."

"There's nothing wrong with talking to someone Steven." Hermione said.

Steven chuckled. "They weren't exactly talking Hermione, more like licking each other's faces."

Hermione felt her eyes start to glisten. "He told me there was nothing between them." she thought.

"Anyway they left, thank god. Was getting quite disgusting.

"They left together?" Hermione asked in a soft voice. "That's why he didn't come home."

"Yes, probably went to find a room somewhere." Steven knew his lies were having the desired effect, but didn't stop. "I tell you, I see him with someone different whenever I notice him in passing. What is the word for male whore's these days?"

"You say you see him with different women all the time, I never do." Hermione said.

"Well he's not going to flaunt it in front of you is he? He has a nice boy image where you're concerned, and he isn't going to do anything to ruin that." Hermione looked down. "Dear I don't tell you this to upset you, he's single, so in theory he's not doing anything wrong really. I personally just feel as though sometimes his behaviour is inappropriate. Don't you agree?"

Hermione raised her head and nodded slowly. "Yes."

"Anyway enough about him. What it is it that you have there?" referring to her magazine.

"Oh, I was just looking for a dress." Hermione seemed to feel better.

"Well there's no need." Steven smiled, and took a seat beside her on the sofa.

"I don't understand." she looked at him questionably.

"Mummy called today, and said that she would be honoured if you would wear the dress that she got married in." he grinned. "Isn't that great."

Hermione felt a wave of disappointment go through her. "But Steven, I've alrea---" she was interrupted by Steven.

"Oh don't let me down Hermione, besides I already told her you would." he said.

"You had no right to do that." Hermione said annoyed. "I've seen one that I want to wear already."

"Its only a dress Hermione." he said in a stern voice. "Please do this, for me."

Hermione gave up. It was suppose to be her wedding day as well, but every idea she had was being overruled by Steven and his parents. To hell with it she thought. It was probably the only wedding she was going to have, seeing as though there wasn't exactly a queue of men lining her up to be their wife.

"Fine."

"That's wonderful." he kissed her cheek. "And I know the perfect date too."

"Of course you do." Hermione thought. "When?"

"August 12th." he announced happily.

"Why August 12th?" she asked.

"Well a funny story really. I've been elected to go and analyse some more findings of the Mimbulus Nimbletonia plant. I need to be there on August 14th, and I was thinking that it would also be the perfect place for our honeymoon."

"But Steven it's our honeymoon! You can't work everyday." Hermione stood up.

"I won't be working everyday, besides wouldn't you love to discover parts of the middle east? Turkey, Egypt and Iran." he asked.

"Steven, don't take this the wrong way, but to say things are a litter tender in the middle east right now would be an understatement. We can't exactly be romantic in such a place." she tried to reason.

""We will be protected by magical wards, and it will be an adventure. I've heard many people say wonderful things about Turkey, and Egypt."

"And Iran?" she asked incredulously.

"Well, I'm yet to meet anyone who's been there." Steven said.

"I was thinking more along the lines of Italy or somewhere similar." she said.

"Oh come on Hermione, its not like I'm asking for the world. It's a great opportunity, and we can go to Italy anytime. Tell you what. I will take you there for your birthday, promise." He sounded desperate.

"Okay." Hermione reluctantly agreed. Steven threw his arms around her.

"You're going to love it I swear." he hugged her tighter.

Once she broke away, she looked overwhelmed. "Steven, this is really happening fast. There's so much to do."

"I'll take care of everything. Just make sure you show up on August 12th. And then I can finally get to see what you've been hiding under those clothes." he gave a sly smile.

"Can you do something for me?" she asked.

"Anything." Steven walked back to his desk.

"If I invite some friends over to my place on Saturday for dinner, will you come? The fact that we're getting married so quickly isn't going to leave time for much else. I just want them to get to know you better." she hugged her arms to her chest.

"No problem dear. I'm going to send out my job acceptance to the lab. I'll be upstairs if you need me."

Hermione didn't see him again that night, until she told him it was time for her to go home.

****

Hermione arrived home and saw Harry lying on the sofa watching TV. As she looked at him she struggled to get the vision of him and Kate out of her head, that Steven had described to her. She also couldn't think of a way to tell him that she was getting married in two weeks. She decided to leave it till the weekend, when she would have Steven for support.

"Hey you're back early." Harry smiled at her widely. Hermione could only manage half a grin. Harry stood up and strode to the breakfast bar. "DVD time, I got you one I think you're gonna love."

Hermione put her coat over the back of the sofa. "Really, what's that?"

"This." he said, handing her the DVD.

"Gladiator." she smiled. "Why can't I stay angry with you?"

Harry knew that he had made the right choice, when he saw her face light up. "You haven't seen it right?"

"No." she chuckled. "I'm a book person. I didn't even know this film existed."

"I got you your favourite red too." he pointed to the kitchen area. "Its on the counter you want some?"

"I would love some." she gave him the DVD back. "I don't know how that machine works. Could you do it.?

"Yeah of course." he took the DVD and put it in the machine. "Okay we're all set, just gotta press play. But not before I get you that drink."

She took a seat on the sofa and glanced over at him. "Did Ron tell you he's staying at Luna's tonight?

"Yeah, he told me earlier. Said he was going to be here tomorrow afternoon before he leaves for Ireland." he pulled the cork out of the bottle, and set it down on the counter.

Hermione really wanted Ron to be here on Saturday when she brought Steven over. "When does he get back?"

"Friday." he walked over to her, and placed the wine and to goblets on the table in front of them.

"Oh that's ok then." she said relieved.

"So, how was the rest of your day at work after lunch?" he poured.

Harry was so considerate of her. He was acting the way Steven should've acted when he saw her earlier, glad that she was there. Why couldn't he love her? She knew that her relationship with Steven wasn't perfect. He didn't always act the way he did tonight. But she had to admit, even though she loved him in some way, she saw Steven as her chance to have marriage and a family. Something she accepted was never going to happen with Harry, no matter how much she wanted it. Every one that they were close to at school, had partners, and she felt the odd one out. She never thought of herself as beautiful, or exciting. She was a geek, she loved books and discovering new things, and Steven was more a less the same.

"It was ok. Busy though. Been on my feet all day." she said taking her shoes off.

Harry handed her a glass of wine, and leant back. "Do your feet hurt?"

"They ache a bit." she answered.

"Give em here." he said patting his lap.

"Oh Harry you don't have to do that." she told him.

"I know, just think of it as payback for the shoulder massages you gave me after a hard night at the ministry.

She put her feet on his lap, and he started to rub them. "That better?" he smiled.

"You have no idea." she rolled her head back.

"So did he make you anything nice for dinner?" he asked as politely as he could.

Hermione pushed her head forward. "Chicken and vegetables."

She daren't say that she had been the one expected to make it, so she lied in case the truth caused Harry to go mental, which he most certainly would have. She knew that Harry wasn't Steven's biggest fan, which was weird seeing as how they had only met twice. But you can't make people like someone she supposed.

"Oh by the way, I hope you don't mind, but I invited Steven around for drinks nibbles on Saturday." Harry remained silent and continued to rub her feet. "I was hoping that you could be there too. Along with Ron, Luna, Draco, Ginny, Seamus and Lavender. It would really mean a lot to me if you all got to know him better."

"I'll be here." he said.

"Great." she took a sip of her wine, picked up the remote to the DVD, and looked at him. "Erm, which button is play?"

"Give it here." he laughed.

To say she enjoyed the movie was an understatement. She was borderline desperate to go to the Coliseum now. Even though the movie in parts were a little grotesque, she loved it. Sometime after discussing the film, and finishing the wine off between them, they had both fallen asleep. Hermione would never know how they got into this position. She woke up with them both lying on the sofa, Harry holding her tightly from behind. He had is arms wrapped around hers in a protective fashion, and was unable to resist trailing her fingers along his hands. When she managed to come back to reality, she disturbed him from his slumber when she moved out of his arms and stood up quickly. He looked at her groggily.

"What time is it?" he asked.

She looked at the clock. "1.30."

"Can't even remember falling asleep." he yawned.

She had no idea what to say, and avoided his eyes. "Well thanks for the for the film. It was great. I've got to go to bed, I'm up in 5 hours."

He smiled at her. He sure looked cute with his hair sticking up all over the place. "Me too."

"Maybe you should do the same." she said. "Goodnight Harry. See you in the morning." Hermione went to her bedroom before he could say anything back. Harry got up from the sofa, turned off the TV, and went to bed.

****

Saturday came round before Hermione knew it, Ron had returned from Ireland victorious, and everyone had agreed to be there for when Steven arrived. She had not really seen much of Harry during the week, they both had a hard working schedule. The morning after she had slept in his arms wasn't as uncomfortable as she first feared. Harry had already left for work, and when he came home that night, acted as though nothing was out of the ordinary. Everyone apart from Steven had arrived, and were mingling in the dinning areas.

Harry, Ron, Draco, and Seamus were sitting around the breakfast bar, while Ginny, Lavender, Luna and Hermione were sitting at the dinning table.

"I swear, a pregnant woman isn't always the most beautiful thing in the world." said Seamus. "The sooner that baby comes out the better."

"Where's your stress?" asked Harry.

"Sitting over there." Seamus pointed at Lavender. "Mood swings, cravings, big stomachs. I'm telling you I can't take much more."

"Just think, when that's over, you got shit filled nappies, sleepless nights and Lavender in the role of mother, to look forward to." Draco reminded. Harry and Ron both laughed.

"Shit!" Seamus exclaimed. "Anyway, shouldn't Ginny be popping one out by now? You know what Weasley's are like."

Ron nearly choked on the beer he just swallowed, and looked pointedly at Draco. "That would be impossible seeing as how Ginny never has sex., right Draco."

"Oh yeah right." Draco lied.

"So what should we expect when Steven show's up?" asked Seamus.

"A prick." answered Harry.

"That nice eh?" Draco asked.

"He isn't that bad Harry." Ron added. "He's worse."

"Imagine Snape, multiply the dick by a thousand, add Voldermort, and you get Steven." Harry said.

"So you don't like him then?" Seamus said sarcastically.

"But you said you only met him twice." Draco took a gulp of beer.

"Trust me, that's enough." Harry said.

"Hermione likes him." Seamus pointed out.

"Hermione's the only blind woman I know, who can see." Ron smiled.

"That made no sense Ron." Harry laughed.

Ron shrugged his shoulders and grinned. "I rarely do."

Just then Hermione approached the four. "Steven is on his way."

"Hallelujah." Harry's voice dripped with sarcasm. The other three men suppressed grins, but Hermione gave him a glare and walked back to the girls.

"How many beers we had guys ?" Draco asked.

"Ermmm, can't remember." answered Seamus. Harry let out the loudest burp, which caused the girls to stare and the men to roll around laughing. "The right amount then."

"That was gross." Lavender said with a deadpanned expression, although it managed to get a grin out Ginny and Luna.

"Oh lighten up Lav, they're just enjoying themselves." said Luna.

"I don't want that kind of behaviour around my baby." stated Lavender.

Ginny looked at Luna, raised her eyebrows and mouthed 'Wow'.

"Lav, you do know that it probably just heard a muffled sound. It can't recognise it as burp." said Luna.

Lavender looked taken aback. "Oh really Luna, tell when was the last time you were pregnant?"

"She didn't mean anything by it Lav. Its good that you're so protective of your child already." Hermione Lavender's hands. "Anyway you look fantastic."

After a brief moment, Lavender covered her face with her hands, and burst into tears. "I'm a fat, ugly whale!" Hermione looked mortified.

Draco tapped Seamus, and waved his thumb toward Lavender. "What's the matter with that scatty cow?" Harry and Ron burst into laughter, whilst Seamus hopped off of the stool, and went over to his wife.

"What's the matter hun?" he asked.

"I'm horrible!" Lavender continue to sob, with the girls looking on.

"No,no, you're not. You're beautiful." Seamus assured her.

Lavender let her hands drop from her face, and looked at her husband lovingly. "Really?"

"You know you are." Seamus kissed her on the lips. "Hermione can we use your bathroom?"

"Yeah sure, you know where it is." Hermione helped Seamus assist Lavender out of her chair, and then heard a knock at the door.

"We wont be long." said Seamus.

"Take as long as you need." Hermione went over to the door, but not before stopping, to give Harry and Ron a warning. "You two better not pull any of your protective bullshit you hear." It was meant for both of them, but her eyes never left Harry's. Draco raised his eyebrows, and Hermione answered the door to Steven. He was holding a bouquet of red roses.

"For my fiancée." Steven announced. She ushered him in, and closed the door.

"They're beautiful." she smelt them, and behind her Ron rolled his eyes while Harry looked thoughtful.

"I thought white roses were your favourite Hermione." said Harry.

Hermione glared at him. "Steven you know Harry." Steven offered his hand which Harry wanted to snap off.

"Of course. Lovely to see you again." he said.

"I'm sure." Harry said with sarcasm.

Hermione gave him another menacing look. "And Ron."

"I read about your teams success in Ireland. Congratulations." Steven shook his hand.

Ron shook his hand firmly. "Thanks."

"And, this is Ron's sisters boyfriend, Draco." Hermione introduced.

"A Malfoy?" Steven asked with a smile.

"Yeah?" Draco narrowed his eyes.

"Good to meet you." Steven shook his hand.

Hermione steered him away to the girls. The boys just looked at each other, Draco was the first to speak. "What a prick!"

Later, after talking about things in general, the group sat in the living room. The boys had pulled up chairs from the table, and all sat around the living room table.

"Well I have to say that your ring is lovely Hermione." Ginny complimented.

"I thought it was very her." said Steven, who then winked at Hermione.

Harry grinned. "I thought you always wanted a platinum set ring with a diamond shaped diamond."

Hermione shot him a murderous glare. "I love the one I have thank you."

Steven looked at Harry. "Well I can't know everything." He laughed.

"I just find it strange." Harry said.

Draco smiled and joined in. "What's that Harry?"

"I thought that people who knew that they wanted to spend the spend the rest of their lives together, would know some of these things." Hermione looked like she was ready to hit him. "Funny."

Luna attempted to break the growing tension. "Where are you honeymooning?" Hermione closed her eyes in defeat, when Harry looked intrigued.

"Well were going to the middle east." Steven said happily.

Everyone in the room looked at each other in shock. Harry started to look back and forth in a comic manner. "Really?" he said with false joy.

"I'm going to be researching the Mimbulus Nimbletonia plant while I'm there." said Steven excitedly.

"Oh how romantic." Harry laughed. "Nothing like sharing your marital bed with test tubes and poisonous plants!"

Everyone in the room bit their lips to contain their laughter, apart from Hermione and Steven. She looked as though she was about to cry. "Why was he doing this?"

"So have you guys set a date for the wedding yet?" asked a now calm Lavender.

"Well, we've decided on August 12th." Steven said.

"What next year?" Ron asked.

Hermione glanced at Harry who was looking down, with hatred in her eyes "No." she said defiantly, "Next month." Harry 's head snapped up, he was shocked.

"Wow Hermione." Ginny was surprised. "Don't you think that's kinda fast."

"No not really, I have my dress, my honeymoon is arranged and so is the reception and church." Steven smiled at Hermione winked.

Ron, Draco, and Seamus all looked at Harry with concern. His head looked like it was about to explode. Harry excused himself to the bathroom. Moments later when the rest of the group started talking amongst themselves, Steven followed him.

Harry looked in the mirror. "Fuck." he muttered. He bent down and covered his face with cold water. When he looked back in the mirror, he not only saw his own reflection, but Steven's. He turned around slowly, and clenched his fists.

"What the fuck are you doing in here?" he asked venomously.

Steven grinned. "Tell me Potter. Are you jealous of something?"

"I could never be jealous of you, even if you are the biggest dick I've ever seen."

"I'm afraid that, once Hermione and I are married, I'm going to feel so sad at the amount of time that she spends with you. Neglected even. My wife will certainly put my needs first right?" snarled Steven.

Harry got as close as he possibly could. "Let's get one thing straight. You don't frighten me, and whatever it is that you think, Hermione and you have, it will never compare to what she and I share. Understood."

Steven backed away. "You talk about your friendship and pathetic things that you did at that school, but you're never going to see a side of her that I already know. And if by some miracle you did, you can take comfort in knowing that I was the one who broke her in for you."

Harry grabbed him by his collar, and smashed his back against the tiled wall. "Go on Potter, I want you to. Who do you think she would believe after the way you acted tonight?"

Harry let go off him, but kept his eyes on his. Steven smirked. "I didn't think so. God her as my wife is going to make my career rocket." With that he left. Harry put both hands over his face, and sat on the side of the bath, taking deep breaths.

When Steven returned to the living room, he picked up his coat and approached Hermione. "I'm sorry dear, but I must go. I had a smashing evening." He said his goodbyes to the rest of the group, and walked out of the door followed by Hermione. Once they were outside alone, Hermione spoke, "I am so sorry about Harry, I have no idea why he acted in such a way."

"Don't worry. It's not your fault." Steven said. "I wish we could get along for your sake, but I can't be any friendlier than I have been. You are all that matters." he kissed her forehead and left.

In the kitchen Harry was sat on the stool at the bar talking to the other guys. "God he's such a snake."

"Hermione's gonna kick your arse." Ron said. Just then the door slammed.

"HARRY!" Hermione screamed in anger.

"See." Ron said scared. Harry stood up and turned towards Hermione.

"What?" he said with no emotion.

"What you did today was totally unnecessary!" Hermione was raging.

"What?" he said acting oblivious. Everyone stared at the wreck in front of them that was Harry and Hermione.

"Don't give me that you acted like a spoilt brat!" her nostrils started to flare.

Harry shrugged. "I hate him."

Hermione sighed angrily. "You never gave him a chance!"

He walked closer to her, "When are you gonna get it through that head of yours that he is completely wrong for you?!"

"Well no one in here was expecting him to be as perfect as you!!" she spat.

"I'm only thinking of you." Harry said.

Hermione gave a fake laugh. "Me?!! You were only thinking of yourself as always!!

That hurt him. "That's not true."

"Have you got any idea how hard you made it for me today?!! All I needed was your support! Instead what do I get?!! The wounded pride of the fucking boy who lived, who can't bear the thought of me having another man in my life besides you!!!

Harry could take no more. "Don't you fucking dare bring up status that was given to me by others when we were younger!! It has nothing to do with this, I want you to be happy above anything else! But if you think for one second, that I'm gonna lie to you about how I feel, towards a selfish, arrogant, sly, stuck up, mummy's boy, then you're very fucking wrong!!!!"

Hermione took a sharp intake of breath, before Harry said something that he was going to regret for the rest of his life.

"Jesus Hermione, I know no one ever wanted you in school, but I didn't think even you could be that desperate!!!" Before Harry could muster another thought, Hermione slapped him across the face as hard as she could.

As tears began to fill her eyes, Hermione looked at him as if he were a stranger.

"Form this moment on, I want you to stay the fuck out of my life!!" Hermione turned on her heel, and quickly escaped to her room. The girls looked at each other and followed her.

Harry continued to stare at the space where Hermione previously stood, and then closed his eyes. After a few moments, he casually walked to the front door, opened it, and left.

Ron, Draco and Seamus shared concerned glances. "What the hell just happened?" Seamus asked.

"Shouldn't we go after him?" asked Draco.

Ron shook his head. "Its best to leave him alone, trust me." Ron assured. "He'll still love the first friend that ever hit him."

****

End of Chapter 3