Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just One More Thing by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just One More Thing

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

Just One More Thing

Chapter 19

****

Harry and Hermione composed themselves, and went back to where Ginny and Draco were sitting with Zeke, and his family.

Ginny was the first to notice their return, and immediately sensed that something was troubling them. "Are you guys okay?" she asked worried.

Harry and Hermione exchanged looks. "No, not really," Hermione said sadly.

"What's going on?" Draco asked concerned.

Harry was just about to speak, when a little voice cut him off. "Harry, Hermie," Zeke said excitedly. "C'mon, you're missing the game."

Hermione could only smile weakly at the boy in front of her, it killed her to know how disappointed he was going to be when they told him they had to leave.

Harry comfortingly stroked her back, before kneeling down to meet Zeke's height. "Listen, Zeke, I'm really sorry, but something really important has come up and Hermione and I have to go, right now."

Zeke was silent for moment.

"But you told me you would take me to meet the captain after the game," Zeke said starting to get sad.

Harry remembered telling him that. "I know, and I promise I will make it up to you."

"We both will," Hermione added.

Zeke tried hard not to smile when Hermione, spoke to him. He failed and went to sit back in his chair.

Harry quickly went over to Zeke's family to apologise. "Mr and Mrs Athey, I'm terribly sorry but Hermione and I must go, something has come up."

"Nothing serious I hope," Anne said nicely.

"Well, not life and death," Harry said truthfully. "But serious none the less."

"No apology necessary, Harry," Randall said. "If there is anything my family or I can do to express our gratitude for today, please let me know."

"There is one thing," Harry thought of.

"Sure," Randall said.

"Let Hermione, and I make it up to Zeke sometime?" Harry asked them. "I feel we've disappointed him terribly."

Randall withdrew a small piece of parchment from his jacket, and handed it to Harry. "Here, it's our address, feel free to owl anytime or stop by whenever you and Hermione feel like it. You'll always be welcome."

"Thank you sir," Harry accepted the parchment, and slipped it into his jeans. "See you again soon, Mr and Mrs Athey, you too Luke."

Luke, who had gone to the same school as Harry and Hermione, and was in their year, nodded. He didn't know them that well, only to say hello to, but was hoping to talk to them today. He was disappointed but was happy to know that he'd get another opportunity.

Harry joined Hermione, who was standing with Ginny and Draco. "Okay, all set?"

"Will someone please tell me what's going on?" Ginny was frustrated, her friends were obviously worried about something an weren't letting herself and Draco help.

"Ginny, please," Hermione said sounding tired. "I know that you're worried but we're fine, promise."

Draco raised his eyebrows. "So then what's wrong? C'mon, you know we're not going to drop this until someone yields."

"Someone got a picture of us," Harry told them quietly.

"Of who?" Ginny asked.

"Hermione and I," Harry answered.

"So what," Draco said. "People take pictures of you two all the time, why now is it such a big deal?"

Harry and Hermione just looked at them both and remained silent.

It didn't take too long for Ginny and Draco to figure it out.

"Oh my god!" Ginny gasped.

Draco rolled his eyes. You know, you guys fuck more than me and Gin argue, and that's saying something!"

"Hush you," Ginny scolded her husband, before looking at Harry and Hermione in sympathy. "What are you going to do?"

"Try and find out whoever took the picture," Harry said. "That's all we can do right now."

"Need us to do anything?" Ginny asked.

"Yeah, help us keep it off the front page," Hermione said starting to get upset.

Harry desperately wanted to take her in his arms and assure her that everything would be ok, but seeing as how it wasn't common knowledge that they were a couple, he had to settle for gently rubbing her back. "It's going to be ok Hermione, we'll find it."

"Harry's right Hermione," Ginny said. "Everything will work out fine, it usually does."

"Listen to my little fortune cookie here," Draco joked.

"We're pretty sure who's behind it already," Harry said with utter distaste.

Ginny though for a moment before her eyes narrowed in realisation. "That bitch!"

"Skeeter," Draco voiced.

"When is she going to just leave us the hell alone?!" Ginny spat. "She had better pray that we don't cross paths anytime soon!"

Draco and Ginny had their own run in with Rita Skeeter when they had first got together. Skeeter had gone as far to say that Ginny, had betrayed her friends and family and joined the followers of the perished dark lord. She also reported that Draco's new leaf was purely a front in order to get close to Harry, so that he could eventually turn him over to the remaining death eaters and kill him once and for all.

Draco put his arm around Ginny. "She's not worth you anger babe, she's not worth much of anything."

"She certainly has a presence," Hermione said grimly.

"Even if it did get put on the front page, and I say if, just deny it," Draco said seriously. "I mean come on, its amazing what wizards and witches can do with spells these days. You can just say that she created an illusion, hell we could say that she's Voldermort reincarnated."

"Draco," Ginny chided. "Please be serious."

"I am being serious," Draco said. "Think about it, who are you going to believe? Harry Potter and Hermione Granger, upstanding citizens of the wizarding world, worlds saviour and worlds brightest mind. Or Rita Skeeter? Wizarding world parasite who's only aim in life is to make others miserable."

Harry, Hermione and Ginny all looked at Draco in complete shock.

The silence was deafening until Ginny broke it. "Wow."

"What?" Draco asked.

"You, said something, that made sense," Harry said slowly.

Drraco winked. "Just don't get too use to it."

"Do you really think that I'm the worlds brightest mind?" Hermione asked sceptically.

"Oh sure," Draco replied. "No one else could come close to you bookie."

Hermione managed to smile obviously feeling very proud.

"I think that we're getting off the point here," Ginny pointed out.

Hermione shook her head. "Oh, yeah, right."

"We could do what you suggested, Draco," Harry said. "But we'd be lying, and that wouldn't make us any better than her."

"And it still wouldn't stop the picture, regardless of whether people think it's real or not, from being seen," Hermione added. "We'd know it's real, and that people had seen us at a moment that was strictly meant to be between us."

"You weren't naked were you?" Draco asked.

Harry and Hermione glared at him.

"What?!" Draco put his hands in the air.

"How is that relevant?" Ginny asked.

"Course it's relevant," Draco stated obviously. "It determines the scale of the problem."

"How?" Harry questioned.

"It would be less embarrassing if you weren't completely starkers," Draco explained.

"We weren't completely naked!" Harry said in a rushed manner. "And we're standing here wasting valuable time talking as if it's a foregone conclusion that the picture is actually going to get published, instead of leaving right now to go prevent that from happening!"

"God you're right," Hermione put a hand to head. "But lets face it Harry, the person who took that photo will be long gone."

"Hermione's right," Ginny said. "But we know where to find Skeeter!"

****

"I'm so sorry you guys," Ginny said sympathetically.

Ginny, Draco, Harry and Hermione, had scanned the entire quidditch stadium for that bitch and her photographer sidekick with no success.

Hermione slumped onto the couch once they got back to the apartment, and threw her arm across her head. She felt as if her life was going to end. "Please tell me that this is all a bad dream," she mumbled.

Harry walked over to where she lay and sat down beside her. He comfortingly started to rub her leg. "Sweetheart, we'll find it."

"I knew this would happen," she said sadly.

"Knew what would happen, darling?" Harry asked gently.

Hermione moved her arm a fraction so she could look at him in the eye. "This," she paused. "Everything was going far too well for us."

"Hey, you've never really once given up on me, so don't start now ok?" Harry begged her. "I promised you I'd find that picture and I will, no matter what it takes."

"Harry's right," Draco said, standing at the back of the settee. "They might not even be legally allowed to publish it, did you ever think of that?"

Hermione's eyes widened. "I never even thought of that."

"You could ask Remus, Harry," Draco suggested. "I know that might be way uncomfortable, but no more than it would be if the whole world saw it."

Harry regarded Draco, with an in comprehendible expression. "Did you swallow a brain for breakfast this morning, or what?"

Draco shrugged. "I go through days like this, its really weird and I can't explain it, I don't even know I'm doing it."

"Maybe you should use your brain to work out exactly how, we're going to tell my parents that we're married?" Ginny said with a smile.

Draco simply looked at her. "I think I've gone dumb again."

"Oh Merlin," Hermione sighed. "You guys have got your own problems to think about."

Amidst what happened today she had totally forgotten that Draco and Ginny were now married.

"Hermione it's fine," Ginny said. "We're here for you both if you need us."

"You should go and spend some time alone," Hermione said softly. "You're suppose to be on your honeymoon."

"Yeah we are aren't we?" Draco grinned.

Harry laughed. "Get out of here."

"You sure?" Draco asked.

"There's nothing more any of us can to today," Harry said. "But I think I'm going to go talk to Remus, about what you said, sooner the better."

"Heads up if you need anything got it?" Draco pointed at him.

"Sure, thanks for everything you guys." Harry said standing up, then helped pull Hermione to her feet.

"Sorry we couldn't do more," Darco said. "We'll keep our ears to the ground."

Hugs were exchanged, and goodbyes said, before Harry and Hermione were left alone.

Harry opened his arms wide, and Hermione gladly slipped into them. "Are you ok?"

"I will be," she said, feeling more and more relaxed by the second being in Harry's arms. "I'm so sorry about today."

Harry pulled back but still kept his arms around her. "I told you to cut that out."

"I know but-"

"Nothing," he said softly. "It's over, we had an argument and look, we survived."

Hermione couldn't think of a word to describe just how much love she had in her heart for this man. Harry was beyond anything she could have expected to find in her soul mate. He was her best friend, now her lover, and was going to be for life. No one would ever come close to making her feel the same as he did, she was sure. With no idea how to express at that moment, she could only say what was in her heart.

"I love you," she said, like she was still amazed that she could voice it.

"You sound surprised," he grinned.

"Its just, sometimes I struggle to find the words to say to you, to make you understand just how much," she tried to explain.

"I understand," he said, kissing her gently in the lips.

"You do?"

"Of course I do," he said kissing her again, then gazing at her intently. "You just have to learn to live with the fact that the best feelings in the world, are those that have no words to describe them."

Hermione shook her head and smiled at him. "God, you make me so happy."

Harry leant his forehead gently against hers. "Yeah, well if I was able reach up and hold a star for every time that you've made me smile, I'd have the entire night sky in the palm of my hand."

Hermione, wanted to cry at just how romantic and tender he was with her, she never expected to ever have a man love her like this, and now she did, she never wanted to let go.

****

Draco and Ginny arrived back and their apartment, and immediately wrapped themselves up in bed. Even though it was still day time, they couldn't resist.

Ginny was laying her head in the crook of Draco's neck, while he gently stroked their entwined hands.

"I'm so glad I'm not Harry and Hermione right now," Ginny said. "I can't believe them of all people would get caught with their pants down."

"I know," Draco agreed. "Sounds like something me or you would do."

"After all they've been through this past month, this is the last thing they need," Ginny said, distressed at her friends situation.

"Hey," Draco nudged her gently. "They'll be fine, Harry and Hermione don't know how to fail."

"I hope you're right," Ginny said seriously.

They reminded silent for a while until Draco spoke. "So, tomorrow at your parents, are you nervous?"

"A little," Ginny admitted. "Not ashamed, before your mind starts to jump to conclusions."

Draco grinned. "I'm nervous too, I don't think your father is ever going to forgive me."

"For knocking up and marrying his little girl?" Ginny laughed.

"Think their hearts will be able to take it?" Draco asked.

"If we tell them we're married first, they'll probably assume that I'm pregnant by themselves, which could make things easier," Ginny mused.

Draco frowned. "They think the only way I'd marry you is if you were pregnant?"

Ginny sat up to look at him. "I know that's not the reason, and that is all that matters."

Draco gently pulled her towards him and kissed her softly, before wrapping her up in his arms.

****

A knock disturbed Remus and Tonks from their comfortable position in each others arms on the sofa.

"You aren't expecting anyone are you?" Tonks asked.

"No, I wanted to be alone with you tonight, it's been ages since we've had the opportunity," Remus answered, reluctantly standing up. "I'll get rid of them."

Tonks sniggered. "You're far too kind to follow through with that threat, and you know it."

Remus went to answer the door, and looked particularly concerned when he found Harry, standing in front of him.

"Hermione, hasn't hit you again, has she?" Remus asked.

"No," Harry chuckled. "Nothing like that."

Remus raised his eyebrows.

"But I do have a problem," Harry said seriously.

"Well then," Remus sighed. "I think you better come in then hadn't you?"

Harry nodded. "Thanks."

Remus led him into the living area where Tonks was still sitting on the sofa. She immediately jumped up when she saw Harry, walking behind Remus.

"Has Hermione hit you again?" she asked.

Harry shook his head. "No, Hermione, has not hit me again."

"Ok," Tonks held up her hands. "No need to get defensive."

"I asked him the same thing," Remus smirked.

Tonks looked at Harry with a smile. "So, what did you then?"

"Hermione, and I, kind of have a little problem," Harry told them softly.

"Oh Harry," Tonks said sympathetically. "I wouldn't worry about it too much, it happens to all men at least once or twice in their lives, especially at you age."

Remus remained quiet, and kept looking between the two.

"What does?" Harry asked confused.

"Erectile dysfunction," Tonks said gently.

"What?!!" Harry shouted.

Remus laughed, and Tonks remained serious.

"I do not, have erectile dysfunction," Harry told them shortly, slightly insulted that Tonks, thought he had.

"Oh, er," Tonk had no idea what to say.

"Believe me," Harry said more calmer. "If I was impotent, I probably wouldn't be in the predicament I'm in now."

"What's happened?" Remus asked.

Harry began to feel embarrassed, he had no idea how to tell them he and Hermione had been caught with their pants down.

"We were photographed today," Harry explained. "Together."

"Harry, you and Hermione knew that your relationship would become public eventually, it's just something you need to deal with," Remus told him.

"We knew that," Harry accepted. "But Remus…we weren't photographed holding hands, or even giving each other a chaste kiss."

"What were you doing then?" Remus asked.

Harry looked at the floor and started to fidget. Remus continued to look at him expectantly, but it wasn't long before Tonk's eyes widened in shock, and clasped a hand over mouth.

"Oh Merlin," Tonks gasped. "Tell me you didn't."

Remus's eyes widened as he caught on to what had happened. "Oh dear."

Harry looked between the two blinked erratically. "That's it…that's all you have to say? Oh dear!"

Remus shook his head. "I'm sorry Harry, its just that I'm a little surprised that you and Hermione could be so careless."

"No more that we are," Harry said glumly.

"How is Hermione?" Tonks asked gently.

"She's terrified," Harry replied sadly. "We've only been together a short time and already I cant protect her."

"Harry, this isn't life or death," Remus said trying to be supportive.

"No?" Harry asked sceptically. "I have a feeling it will be if Mr. Granger sees it."

"And the entire wizarding world," Tonks added.

"Yeah, thanks for that," Harry nodded sarcastically.

"Harry," Remus started seriously. "You mustn't let the event haze your thinking. It's quite possible that there are legalities in place that could prevent such a picture from being published."

Harry sat on a nearby chair and put his head in his hands. "I know that, it's just that I'm so angry that I let it happen in the first place."

Remus patted him on the back. "We all make mistakes Harry, proves that we are human. And promise me that you wont take this as a sign that you can't protect Hermione as you say. One of the most important things to remember in any relationship, is that you can't protect each other from everything, simply being there for each other is what really counts."

Harry smiled, Remus knew exactly how to make him see the positive side of every bad situation.

"Thanks, Remus," Harry said gratefully.

"Your welcome, son," Remus smiled.

Tonks cooed happily at Remus. "It's no surprise that I fall more in love with you each day."

****

A short tubby man wearing a trench coat and clutching a manila envelope entered the dark smoky bar precariously, his hat and coat dripping with water from the sudden downpour of rain that looked to be in for the night. His eyes started to scan the bar, and stopped when he saw his contact sitting in the back booth that was tucked away in a corner. He approached the contact slowly feeling more and more nervous the closer he got, before sitting down opposite a man, whose face was hid away in a shadow.

"The item," the man in shadow said.

"Money first," the tubby man said uncomfortably.

A chuckle was heard before a wad of money was thrown across the table. The tubby man gave the wad a quick glance before putting it in the inside pocket of his coat. With one last look around, he slid the envelope across the table. Watching a hand emerge from the shadow to pick up the envelope, his curiosity got the better of him.

"What do you intend to do with it?" he asked shakily.

"Trust me," came the steady voice. "You'll find out. Now go."

The tubby man slowly left the booth, walked across the pub, and out of the door back into the night rain.

The man in the shadow opened the envelope, and grinned evilly to himself at the picture he was holding.

"My, my, Hermione," the man said to himself gruffly. "You certainly seem to have lowered you inhibitions."

He slowly put the picture back in the envelope and into his jacket.

"You ruin my life Potter," he said quietly. "I ruin yours."

****