Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just One More Thing by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just One More Thing

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

Just One More Thing

Chapter 21

****

When Harry opened his eyes early the next morning, he wasn't sure what he was expecting. The day's edition of the Daily prophet would have been read by thousands of wizards and witches all over the magical world by now, he suddenly had a feeling it was going to be a very long day. He yawned and began to stretch when he felt a familiar weight was pinning him down. Glancing downwards, he found Hermione still sound asleep, her head resting peacefully on top of his chest. Harry smiled with pride at his girlfriend. He always found himself to be having an inner battle with his mind over when Hermione looked more beautiful. Not to say that he didn't think she always looked beautiful, far from it, there was just something about waking up to her in the morning seeing her look so peaceful and content that made his heart beat uncontrollably. He was so engrossed in his thoughts he didn't even notice Hermione's eyes flutter open.

"Good morning, handsome," Hermione said, her head rising slightly from his chest.

Harry shook his head from his thoughts. "Morning baby, sorry I was miles away."

"Anywhere nice?" Hermione joked, settling back down to his chest.

Harry laughed and kissed the top of her head. "If you must know I was thinking about you."

"Me?" Hermione asked surprised. "But I'm right here."

"I can't help it," Harry said blissfully. "Even when you're wrapped up in my arms I'm thinking about you. I'm addicted."

Hermione giggled, she still couldn't believe how perfect their lives were. Even though someone out there had a potentially damning photo of the two of them, nothing could dampen her current state of happiness every time she woke up to Harry every morning.

"You thinking about me?" Harry asked smugly.

"What can I say? I'm addicted," Hermione said kissing him quickly on the lips. She then scanned the room as if she was looking to find something.

"What?" Harry asked wondering what she was looking for.

"Oh nothing, just thought I'd be surrounded by howlers and hate mail by now."

"Why would you receive howlers and hate mail?" Harry asked, already having a fair idea of what she was going to say.

"Oh c'mon, I know what I'm in for," she said, creeping further up his chest so she could stroke his chin lightly. "All those fan girls who are now going to be heartbroken to know that Harry Potter is no longer available."

Harry put an arm behind his head and used his free hand to caress her face. "I haven't been available for years, you know that."

"The Harry Potter fan girls don't."

Harry chuckled. "To be totally honest, I don't think it's going to come as a shock to most people Hermione."

"Maybe not," Hermione agreed. "But--"

Harry cut her off. "Whatever happens, we'll get through it together. Even if that means I have to fight off the fan girls, I'll do it because I love you and I want you to be happy." Hermione smiled and pecked his lips, then Harry tapped her nose and jumped out of the bed. When he got to the door he stopped and turned to face her. "You get in the shower and I'll fix breakfast."

"Ok," Hermione said smiling. She'd be lying if she said that she wasn't still a little apprehensive about the article and peoples reaction to it, but Harry was always able to make her feel better and ease her worries. She still couldn't believe how lucky she was to have such an incredible, sweet, caring man love her.

****

The Daily Prophet was tossed onto a desk in a darkened room harshly. A clenched fist slammed directly on the front page picture that was showing a blissfully happy Harry and Hermione. This wasn't supposed to happen. It wasn't part of the plan. He had to act fast.

****

Ginny Malfoy was sitting at the table reading the article featuring her friends, when she felt her husband's hands rest on her shoulders.

"So they actually did it then," he commented in awe, sitting down next to his wife. "They sure got balls."

"They did the right thing," Ginny said putting the paper aside. "You should read it babe it's really romantic. Luna has done a terrific job. No bullshit, just love."

"Aren't they the same things?" Draco joked.

"Hey!" Ginny said swatting his arm playfully.

"Just kidding, I'll read it later when I'm at work." Draco said holding his hands up, as Ginny started to flip through a magazine. "What's that you got there?"

"It's a bridal magazine," she answered.

Draco grinned. "You sure are excited about this reception thing aren't you?"

Ginny looked up from the magazine. "I really am. It was such a great idea don't you think?"

Draco smiled and got up from his chair. "If it makes you happy baby."

"You do want to do this don't you?" Ginny asked unsure of his answer. "Because I know that you said yesterday that you wanted to do it, but was that because you felt pressured by my mum?"

Draco leaned down and kissed her to shut her up then pulled back. "Yes, it's what I want. Promise."

"Good," Ginny said relieved. "I would like to do it sooner rather than later, don't want to look fat in my dress."

Draco rolled his eyes.

****

"Look, I just don't want her doing anything that could cause unnecessary stress?" Ron said calmly.

Ron had been annoying the hell out of Luna all morning over breakfast. Ever since he found out that his sister was pregnant he'd been witling about her safety. Luna, who worked with Ginny, assured him that she'd be fine and that she'd keep an eye on her. It seemed to fall on deaf ears.

"Ron!" Luna said exasperated. "She's going to be fine! Her job is to sit down, read owl's and respond. I'll have her desk moved into my office if that's what it takes to get you to shut up!"

Ron held his hands up in defeat. "Ok, I'm sorry. She's my sister and I worry about her that's all."

Luna's face softened as she approached him. "I know. But trust me she'll be fine."

Ron hugged her tightly to him. "Ok, I'll trust you."

"Goodness, if this is what you're like when you're about to become an uncle, what are you going to be like when you become a father?"

Ron froze and Luna felt him tense immediately. She pulled out of the hug slowly, afraid of the look she was going to see on his face. "What?" she asked quietly.

Ron stared at her for a while before answering. "Do you think I'd be a good father?"

"Why wouldn't you be?" Luna asked surprised at the question.

"I've never really thought about being a father before," he said softly. "The whole concept actually scares me."

"Why?"

"Just does," Ron shrugged.

"Well, I think that you'll be an incredible dad one day," Luna told him gently. "Our kids will be very lucky."

Ron raised his eyebrows. "Our kids?"

"One day," Luna winked. "When we're ready of course."

"What if I never feel ready?" Ron asked.

Luna smiled. "Then I'll talk you into it."

"Nice," Ron laughed.

"C'mon, you haven't got time to be sensitive," Luna said grabbing her bag from the sofa. "You need to get to Hogwarts and I need to get to work early to move Ginny's desk into my office."

Ron grinned.

****

Harry was looking through the paper when Hermione joined him at the breakfast table. She still looked preoccupied as she took her seat beside him.

"Hey," Harry said reaching out to lift her chin. "Where's that gorgeous smile?" Hermione slowly let a smile grace her face. "That's better." Hermione began to tuck into her food, Harry never taking his eyes off of her. "Are you sure ok? I thought we discussed--"

"It's not about the article and it's repercussions," Hermione told him.

"So…what is it about then?" Harry asked confused.

Hermione took a deep breath. "I have to go to work."

"It's Monday," Harry pointed out. "It's what people usually do."

"I know that," Hermione sighed. "Look, forget I even said anything it's stupid."

"No, I won't forget it," Harry said filmy. "If there's something bothering you, I want to talk about it. Now c'mon."

Hermione gave in and started to talk. "It's amazing how much thinking one does when in the shower. It's my first day back at work in over a week and for the first time ever since I've worked there, I can honestly say that I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would."

Harry said nothing but kept his eyes on her.

Hermione shook her head. "You're disappointed in me aren't you?"

"Yes," Harry said making Hermione choke. "You said you only thought about me in the shower."

Hermione looked at him as if he was crazy, relief shooting through her when she realised he was joking. "Harry! Don't do that."

"I'm sorry," he said laughing, and took her hand in his. "Hermione," he said seriously. "Do you remember when we were in Rome? You said you wanted to possibly cut your hours back at St Mungo's so that you could do something different."

"I didn't realise you were listening so intently," she said softly.

"I'm always listening," he said looking into her eyes. "If you feel that you've got all that you can get out of the job that you are doing now, and you want to try something different, then I'll be behind you one hundred percent and support you in whichever way I can."

"Really?"

"Really," he nodded. "I know that there's lots of things going on right now, and to say the last few weeks have been hectic would be an understatement, but maybe that's the way our lives are supposed to be."

Hermione gave a fake laugh. "Yeah. We're in the thick of a whirlwind romance, in the middle of looking for a place of our own, we just announced our relationship to the public and to top it off some pervert has a picture of us fucking! On reflection, maybe me being in between career's isn't the best thing for us at the moment," she finished sadly.

Harry wasn't sure what to do but he hated seeing Hermione so vulnerable. The past weeks had been very hectic with everything seemingly happening at once, but he stood by what he had told her. Maybe this was the way their lives were supposed to be, a pace of a thousand miles a minute. That wasn't to say that he didn't want peace in his life, but he'd be lying if he said he felt comfortable with knowing everything about his future. It made him feel nervous.

"Hermione, life is full of surprises," he said thoughtfully. "So why do we need to be immune to them?"

Hermione sighed and put her head in her hands. "I'm going crazy. I mean I've only been in this job five minutes and already I'm ready to try something else!"

"You may have only been in the job five minutes but you're already the best at it," Harry said putting an arm around her. "If you end up being the owner of a bookstore one day, you'll be the best at that also. If its your quest to improve the quality of living standards for house elves and other mistreated creatures, then you'll be the best at that too."

"I'll be the only one who tries to do that," Hermione tried to joke.

"There's my girl," Harry nudged her in the arm playfully. "Just remember the only way I think I'd be ever disappointed in you, is if you somehow managed to talk yourself out of doing something that would make you happy. Even then I think the only emotion you're not capable of making me feel is that of disappointment. It was you who said back in school when we had Voldermort hanging over our heads, that no matter what life threw at us, we still had to live."

"You really are always listening," she said in awe.

"Better believe it."

"Fine, I'm convinced," Hermione conceded.

"Good," Harry said giving her a tender kiss. "I'm going to take a shower, and I'm only going to think of you." Harry gave her one last kiss and made his way to the bathroom, leaving Hermione alone with new thoughts.

****

When Harry got to the ministry, Remus was in his office waiting for him. Harry noticed the newspaper in his friend's hands, and prepared himself for a flurry of questions.

"I see you took my advice," Remus said putting the newspaper on the desk.

"I did," Harry said hanging up his cloak. "It was something that we'd been thinking about anyway but in light of recent events, we decided what the hell?"

"Well," Remus said as he stood up. "Tonks and I are very happy for you."

Harry patted Remus's shoulder. "Thank you."

Remus regarded Harry more seriously as he saw him sit at his desk, then took a seat opposite him. "Has their been any news on the…photograph?"

Harry stilled. "No, not yet. But maybe this morning's headline will bring whoever is responsible for this out of the wood work."

"Yeah," Remus nodded. "This morning's edition certainly has made this place like a zoo this morning."

"I know," Harry said. "That's why I'm a little late. Don't think I can remember the last time I shook so many people's hands."

"If you think this morning was bad wait till you announce you're engagement," Remus smirked.

Harry's mouth fell open. "We're…I'm… not engaged," Harry stuttered. Remus smiled, he really enjoyed watching Harry squirm. "Remus, really…we're not even talking--"

Remus leant forward and narrowed his eyes. "You bought a ring didn't you?"

Harry's mouth dropped open even wider. "What? I havent--"

Remus waggled his finger in front of Harry's face. "Harry, you're as transparent as glass to me remember?"

"Remus, I--"

"Huh?" Remus baited playfully.

"Fine," Harry said giving in. "I bought a ring."

"Uh huh," Remus said triumphantly.

"How do you do that?" Harry asked shaking his head.

"I'm an auror, Harry," Remus stated as if it was obvious. "It's my job to sniff out information. That and Tonks saw you go into Hogsmede jewellers a few days ago."

"That's a little clearer," Harry grinned.

"So, when are you planning on doing it?" Remus asked intrigued.

"I don't know," Harry replied honestly. "It took all the guts I have to actually buy the thing, I haven't got a clue how to give it to her or what to say. That and I'm not sure Hermione can deal with any more surprises at the moment."

"What makes you think that?" Remus asked.

"Things have changed so much lately and so quickly, which I'm all for," Harry explained. "But I think Hermione is having a harder time dealing with it than she's letting on."

"Has she told you that?"

"Not in so many words," Harry answered. "But just this morning she was talking about how she wasn't sure about her job anymore, something that she's told me before, but seems reluctant to do anything to change it. It's as if she's afraid of something."

"Maybe she is," Remus said. "But maybe its not finding another job that's making her worry. There is still a photograph out there of the two of you in a very compromising position, Harry."

"But I told her that I'd take care of it," Harry said.

"But what if the unthinkable happens and that photo does get printed?" Remus asked seriously.

"It wont," Harry said confidently.

"But what of it does?"

"It wo--"

"Harry," Remus interrupted him. "I have every faith in you to find that picture just like Hermione does. But no matter how much you try and convince Hermione that it wont be published, that it wont effect your lives, she's still going to be thinking what if? Its human nature. Have you talked about it with her?"

"Of course I have," Harry said quickly.

"So how does she feel about it?" Remus pressed.

"I don't know I told her not to…" Harry stopped abruptly and closed his eyes briefly. "Worry about it."

Remus stood up from his chair. "Harry, I could be way off with this but do you think maybe its you, not Hermione, who's afraid of change?"

Harry saw Remus heading for the door. "I bought her a ring," he said weakly in defence.

"So give it to her," Remus grinned, then left the office.

****

"What the fuck is this?"

Luna looked up from her desk to see Ginny Malfoy with a confused look on her face. "Oh hi, Gin."

"What is my desk doing in here?" Ginny said, pointing to the desk that usually sat in an office down the hall.

"I thought we could share the same office. I've been getting really lonely in here lately and thought it'd be fun if we were office buddies," Luna offered lamely.

"Mmm hmm," Ginny took her bag from her shoulder and placed it on her desk. "Alright, which one was it?"

"Which one what?" Luna asked, pretending not to understand the question.

"Cut the bullshit, Luna," Ginny said firmly. "Your misty, divination eyes might pull wool over everyone else's vision but not mine."

"Ginny, I have no idea what you're talking about," Luna fibbed.

"All I want is a name," Ginny told her. "And then we shall never have to speak of this again."

"Gin--"

"Was it a blonde snake or a red headed arsehole?" Ginny asked.

"He was worried that you would overdo it," Luna said, not answering the question.

Ginny leaned on Luna's desk. "Who was worried?"

"Is the thought of sharing an office with one of your best friend's so terrible?"

"No, I'd rather enjoy it," Ginny said. "There wasn't any need to go behind my back."

"I'm sorry ok?" Luna apologised. "I thought it was kind of cute."

"The red headed arsehole then?" Ginny guessed.

"How did you--"

"Luna, you've said a lot of things about Draco before, and being or acting cute isn't one of them," Ginny explained.

"Don't tell him I told you," Luna begged.

"Oh please, you're secret is safe with me," Ginny laughed. "Besides it wouldn't have been that hard to figure out, this whole thing reeked of Ron."

****

Harry hadn't moved from his desk since Remus left the room. He couldn't believe what Remus had said to him. He thought he'd hid his insecurities so well. He should have known by now that he couldn't hide anything form the man he considered to be his second father. What he had said to Hermione that morning had been the total truth. He wanted her to make decisions that would make her happy, and was trying to convince her that life should be fast and hectic, but was also trying to convince himself. It was only after he bought the ring a few days ago and really looked at it did he start to think about what stage his life was at. Things were changing at a rapid speed, a tempo that had been set by both him and Hermione.

He started to think about the implications of the next step in their life, along with what Remus had spoke to him about earlier. If Hermione was to say yes to his proposal, that meant that he would be someone's husband, that Hermione would be his wife. Harry then started to feel guilty. Hermione had tried to talk to him numerous times about the photograph and her concerns, only for him to shun her on every occasion by saying not to worry, it would be taken care of. At that moment it dawned on him. Hermione trusted him implicitly and had every faith in him to get back that photo, she simply needed him to listen to her voice her fears, and to comfort her just like he did this morning. If he couldn't do that, what kind of husband would he make?

"I'm such a shit!" Harry said out loud, and let his head fall to the table. A knock at the door caused Harry to sit back up. "Come in."

"What up scarboy?" Draco commented, strolling in and closing the door behind him.

"I really haven't got time for any of your shit today," Harry said flatly.

"What's this, no usual morning small talk?" Draco grinned. "So, what did you do?"

"Draco, is there not somewhere you should be?"

Draco nodded. "Yes."

"Don't you think you should go there and do it? Like now?" Harry asked with a fake smile. He wasn't trying to be unkind, but Draco still had a way of pushing his buttons. Especially now, when he was already so pissed off with himself.

"Managed to fuck up with Hermione already then?" Draco asked knowingly. Harry cocked his head to the side and glared at him. "Alright, alright, I'm going."

"Thank you," Harry said in false cheeriness.

Draco walked over to the door. "We going out at lunch?"

"If I've got time," Harry replied not looking at him.

"Don't worry so much about things, Harry," Draco said nicely. "It can't be anything that a good, hard, fuck wouldn't sort out." Draco waggled his eyebrows, and was out of the door before the cup that Harry threw in his direction had chance to hit him.

****

"It came back unopened, sir," a man said quietly.

The room was dark and damp, causing the man to shiver with fear as he waited for a response to the message he delivered.

"How is that possible?" a calm reply came.

"I can't be sure," the messenger answered. "The wards might have been changed."

"What difference can that possibly make? They can't prevent owls from delivering!"

The messenger became even more nervous. "I can assure you that they can, sir. Even if it was thought impossible, this is the smartest witch alive after all, she would find a way."

"You mean that they know my identity?!" the man roared.

"No…no…not necessarily," the messenger stuttered. "All it means is that you've probably had a run in with them previously. They might not even suspect you have the photograph."

"They had better not," the man said in a deadly voice. "The longer they are in the dark about this the better. My fun had better be far from over."

"Orders, sir."

It was quiet for a while, but as the messenger started to leave, a voice stopped him in his tracks.

"Send it to the ministry."

"Sir?"

"To auror, Potter.

****