Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just One More Thing by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just One More Thing

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

Just One More Thing

Chapter 25

****

Harry was snuggled tightly behind Hermione on the bed as they watched the sun begin to rise through her childhood bedroom window. It read 4.56am on a nearby clock and neither could get to sleep, the previous days events still fresh in their minds along with an already hectic morning. Harry looked over his fiancée's shoulder and smiled when he saw her admiring her engagement ring. His life had always been action packed but he could honestly say that he hadn't a day be so eventful, well, eventful in a good way. He was engaged to the woman he loved more than anything in the world he lived in, the woman who he'd been crazy about for as long as he could remember had agreed to be his wife, the woman who also to top it off was carrying his child. Life was beginning to look very sweet indeed.

Harry couldn't resist and dropped a kiss to her shoulder. "I take it I made the right choice?" he asked referring to the ring.

Hermione glanced back at him. "You certainly did. It's beautiful, Harry."

"A beautiful ring for an even more beautiful woman," Harry said running a hand down her arm.

Hermione looked back at the rock on her finger. "Are you sure that a gorgeous sales witch had no influence on your choice whatsoever?"

Harry looked at her in mock offense. "Yes, I'm sure. Why, do you doubt my ability to pick out a diamond?" Hermione shrugged and giggled in response. "I'll take that a yes."

"I didn't say anything."

"I certainly made a fine choice for a wife," Harry said, trailing kisses across the back of her neck. "Don't you agree?"

"I'm not your wife," Hermione told him playfully. "Yet."

Harry froze. "You're right."

Hermione turned to him with concern at the tone of his voice. "What?"

"We're not married, and yet you're carrying my baby," he said not blinking.

"Where are you going with this, Harry?" Hermione asked slightly worried.

"Your father is going to kill me isn't he?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Yes of course he is, Harry," she said in a sarcastic tone. "All he ever wanted for his little girl was for her to grow up a single mother." Hermione was about to turn away from him when more anxiety appeared in his eyes.

"Oh no," Harry croaked, his face scrunching up as if he had sour taste in his mouth.

"What now?" Hermione asked impatiently.

"He's gonna know we've actually had sex," Harry replied with dread.

"Oh for Merlin's sake," Hermione sighed dramatically. She got up from the bed as Harry still thought about the impending wrath of Hermione's father.

Harry saw her heading for the door. "Where are you going?"

Hermione cocked her head to the side. "I'm going to tell my dad that you forced me to touch your penis."

Harry shot up from the bed abruptly. "You what?!!"

Hermione burst out laughing; it was quite funny to see him stress out over something so trivial. "I'm going to get something to eat I'm hungry."

Harry let out a deep breath. "Don't do that to me."

"Would you relax please? My father is not going to kill you," Hermione tried to assure him, he still didn't look convinced. "Now are you coming downstairs with me or not?"

"Yes, I'm coming," he nodded.

When they got downstairs the sun was starting to faintly peek through the blinds in the kitchen. Hermione went straight to the fridge and started scanning the contents inside, Harry watching her every move with amusement as she rummaged around the shelves in search for something good to eat.

"Isn't it a bit too early to early to have cravings?" Harry asked.

Hermione stopped rummaging around and whirled around to look at him. "I have not got cravings you cheeky bastard, I'm just hungry," Hermione said with laugh. "We have been awake all morning and need I remind you that I had a very strenuous workout last night."

"No, I remember," Harry said grinning madly.

Hermione's attentions returned to the fridge. "Ham and tomato sandwich?" Hermione offered, that clearly being the only appealing choice.

"For breakfast?" Harry asked.

"Well it's either that or I'm sure my mother wont mind you having some of her muesli," Hermione replied. She laughed at the grimace on Harry's face. "I didn't think so."

"I don't understand how anyone can eat cereal that resembles something that you'd find in a pigeon loft," Harry said, then shivered. "Yuk."

"Ham and tomato it is then," she said closing the fridge door. "My parents obviously haven't been shopping yet this week." Hermione put the packet of ham and single tomato on the counter, and opened up the bread bin only to find it empty. "They eat out to often."

Harry approached her from behind and wrapped his arms around her waist. "I can't say that that hungry right now."

"No?" Hermione asked leaning back against his chest.

"Not for food any way."

Hermione turned in his arms and looped her arms around his neck, her lips seeking his instantly. Their kiss was starting to become more and more heated when they were interrupted.

"Ahem," a gruff voice came from the doorway of the kitchen.

Harry and Hermione both looked over to see her father glaring at them icily. They disentangled themselves but didn't step away from each other.

"Good morning dad," Hermione managed to say.

"Good morning my dear," Mr Granger replied, not once taking his eyes from the wizard next to her.

"Mr Granger," Harry said politely. Brian simply ignored him and walked over to the sink to get a glass of water, under the watchful eyes of both Harry and his daughter.

"Dad, Harry just spoke to you," Hermione said with a hint of annoyance.

Brian gulped down his drink, put the empty glass in the sink then turned around. "I heard him."

"And?" Hermione pressed.

"I have nothing to say to him," her father answered sourly, causing Harry to look at the floor.

"Dad, Harry and I worked things out," Hermione told him softly.

"Clearly," Brian said snottily. "Tell me Hermione, just how many times in this relationship of yours do you intend to coming running back to this house every time he screws things up?"

Harry's head shot up and Hermione narrowed her eyes. "You have no idea what happened last night," she said in a dangerous tone. "Besides, you and mum always said that your door would be open should I need it, and last night I needed it. Or is it only for situations that you deem to be acceptable?"

Brian shook his head. "How many times are you going to let..." he stopped mid sentence when he saw something sparkle on Hermione's hand. "What's that on your finger?"

Hermione smiled contemptuously at her father's question. "What does it look like?" Harry flinched; Hermione had never acted so disrespectful towards her father before, even if he was being completely unreasonable. "It's an engagement ring."

Brian looked as if he was going to spit blood.

"You did give me your blessing, sir," Harry reminded him.

"Well that was before you broke my daughters heart into little pieces yet again," he snarled.

Hermione looked at Harry with admiration. She believed him when he told her that he bought the ring before he knew she was pregnant, but her heart warmed even more at the news that he actually went to her father to ask permission. It was something that she knew her father would've appreciated, although, the way he was acting right now she wasn't sure he deserved such a gesture. With that in mind she faced her dad again. "We had an argument," Hermione said putting her hands on her hips. "It was a misunderstanding that's all! Harry and I have been under a lot of pressure lately and it all came to a head last night! Don't tell me that you and mum never argue or any other couple for that matter because we both know it would be rubbish! We argued and we made up end of story!!"

"Hermione, please calm down," Harry said gently. "All of this can't be good for our..." Harry realised what he was about to say and shut his mouth.

Mr Granger was about to retaliate to his daughters outburst when Harry's words began jumbling around his brain. His eyes pointed at Harry. "All of this arguing can't be good for your...what?"

"Your...neighbours," Harry replied lamely, and then panicked when he saw a look of pure determination fill his fiancée's face.

Hermione stared at her father pointedly. "Our baby." Harry closed his eyes and prepared himself for the onslaught which he was sure to come.

Brian clenched his jaw and levelled a deadly glare at the both of them. "Is this come kind of joke?" he asked in a lethal tone.

"No joke, I found out yesterday," Hermione replied evenly. "And Harry and I couldn't be happier about it." Harry took her hand in his and squeezed it supportively.

Her father did his best to contain his anger and instead opt for spite. "Yes, last night you looked the picture of happiness, Hermione. What with the puffy eyes and the tears streaming down your face, my god how could you have been so fucking careless!!" he finished loudly, unable to keep the anger in any longer. "You're twenty one years of age! Neither of you have any idea how to raise a child!"

"That's your opinion," Hermione said flatly.

"What is going on here?" a fourth voice asked having entered the room. The other three saw Mrs Granger standing at the doorway in a robe with her hair all over the place looking very dishevelled. She got even more impatient when she received no reply. "I asked a question that anyone should feel free to answer."

There was still silence up until Brian chuckled maliciously at Harry. "Why don't you answer that, Mr Potter? You tell my wife exactly what you have done to her daughter."

Jane Granger looked at Harry expectantly. "What seems to be the problem?"

Hermione didn't let him answer and replied to the question herself. "The only problem here is the one daddy has with Harry."

"Brian," Jane sighed. "I thought I told you..."

"I know what you told me," Brian said cutting off his wife. "Jane please, you saw the state she was in last night."

"And I told you that Harry and I sorted things out!" Hermione shrieked.

"Tell your mother what made you run from him in the first place!" Brian demanded. "Or would you like me to do it for you?!"

Hermione stared at her father with anger she thought impossible to feel for him. He had always been protective of her and she was thankful for that for most of her life, but really, she was an adult and he had to start trusting her to make her own way in life. She totally understood that things looked bad when she arrived last night. She was in a right state after her argument with Harry. She was upset and her parents told her that if she ever needed to she was always welcome to run home at any time so she did, it was an action that she was now beginning to regret.

Jane noticed Hermione's distressed state and eyed her husband. "Brian, if they've managed to sort things out between them, then that's a good thing isn't it?"

Mr Granger was becoming more and more irritated by the second. He looked Harry up and down with fire in his eyes. Harry had managed to wrap his wife round his little finger it seemed, and also managed to do the same with him too. Brian was angry that he trusted Harry to take care of his little girl and that he'd been foolish enough to give his daughters hand to the man standing in front of him. No, he had no idea what had actually happened between them last night as Hermione never told him, but he had a good idea that Harry probably reacted badly to Hermione's pregnancy.

Brian pointed his finger at Harry. "This...boy," he said derogatively. "Has gotten Hermione, pregnant!"

"Hermione, is this true?" Jane asked.

Harry gulped as Hermione nodded slowly. "Yes, it's true."

"See!" Brian spat glaring at Harry. "I knew you were trouble from the second I laid eyes on you!"

"Oh please, it's not like he did it by himself!" Hermione said tying to defend her fiancé. Harry squeezed Hermione's hand gratefully. He was desperate to say something but didn't want to make the situation any more hostile than it already was. He knew he was the reason Brian Granger was as angry as he was right now, him adding his opinion in to the mix would surely make things worse.

"Haven't you got anything to say?!" Brian aimed at Harry, his anger not showing any signs of ebbing away. The scarred wizard just looked up at the ceiling in defeat. He couldn't even win by keeping his mouth shut.

"That is enough!" Jane said firmly. Her tone left no room for argument, even by her husband. "Now, is there anything else I should know?" she asked. Her husband folded his arms, cocked his head to the side, and glared at his daughter. "I take that as a yes," Jane said with a roll of the eyes.

"We're getting married," Harry spoke softly, finally breaking his silence.

"Over my dead body," Brian said hotly.

Jane shot Brian a murderous look while Hermione lost it all together. She let go of Harry's hand, quickly covered the small space separating her and her father and maliciously laughed in his face. "What, do you really think you can stop me?!"

"What's happened to you?" Brian asked his daughter in a low voice.

"What's happened to me?" Hermione asked incredulously. "What's happened to you?!!" Harry stepped forward and attempted to pull Hermione away from her father only to be shrugged off. He took a step back and watched as she took a few moments to compose herself before staring at her father yet again. "Ok, so you got us," she began in a scarily calm voice. "You're right when you say that we have no idea at the moment how to raise a child, but neither does anyone at the start, so we'll learn as we go along just like everyone else. If nothing else I know that Harry and I will love our child more than anything else in this universe, and that's what's most important so you needn't worry about that." Brian remained silent and let his daughter to continue. "I'm going to make this as clear as I can for you. "I love him. I'm having his baby, I'm going to marry him, and for the first time in my life I couldn't care a less about what you think or feel. I never thought that could happen."

Harry was starting to worry that Hermione could start saying things she was going to regret if she hadn't done already, and made another attempt to pull her away. "Hermione..." he was again shrugged off.

"This was never about, Harry," Hermione told her father. "It was always about me." Jane looked at her husband with interest after her daughter's statement, as did Harry. Brian didn't blink, while Hermione simply shook her head in dismay. "You just can't stand it that I'm no longer your sweet, innocent little girl anymore can you?" Brian still said nothing. "Well that's your problem. Not mine, not anymore. I love you, but I plead with you not to be arrogant enough to make me choose between the two of you."

Her father glanced at Harry for a few moments and then back at her. "I'm...going to need time to get use to this."

Harry's shoulders sagged in relief while Hermione's mother let out the breath that she been holding for the last minute.

"Take all the time that you need," Hermione said, secretly happy that her father didn't ask her to choose. She loved her dad very much, but, she meant it when she said that she didn't care what he thought about her and Harry's relationship. He didn't know enough about it to have an opinion that was worth worrying over. He had to accept that she was now a grown woman, who was now trying to build a life of her own with the man she loved. He had to let go.

Jane approached her daughter. "I can't quite believe that you're very soon going to be a mother." Jane stroked Hermione's hair and looked at her in amazement. "I have every faith in you pumpkin, but should you ever need any help..."

"You're the first person I'll call," Hermione smiled.

Jane hugged her daughter tightly to her. "So, when's the wedding?"

Hermione closed her eyes and laughed. She wasn't the least bit surprised by her mother's question.

****

It was gone 7.00am when Harry and Hermione returned home. They had remained at the Grangers house for a while after hell had broke loose, and managed to keep all conversations from that moment calm and collected. They mainly talked about weddings and babies, much to the dismay of Hermione's father; he really was struggling to get use to everything that had happened over the course of 24 hours. Hermione's mother however was, as expected, completely relentless. She had at no less than 6 days planned with her mother over the next couple of weeks in order to discuss baby books and the wedding day. They were finally able to make their escape when Hermione insisted that she need food, and that her parents didn't have any in the house that was appealing.

They walked over to the settee and both fell onto it unceremoniously. "Man, I am beat," Harry yawned.

"Tell me about it," Hermione said leaning against him.

"That didn't go as bad as I was expecting it to," Harry said thoughtfully.

Hermione looked at him like he was crazy. "You were expecting worse?"

"A few broken bones at least."

"You could take my father any day you know that," Hermione told him.

"Yeah, like I'd really do that," Harry said.

"What, so you'd just let him beat you up without fighting back?" Hermione asked unbelievably.

"Of course I would," Harry replied.

"Why?"

"Out of respect for you, of course," Harry answered as if it was obvious.

Hermione was about to tell him how stupid that was when an owl landed on the window ledge. "Isn't that Remus's owl Harry?" she asked looking over to the squawking bird.

"Yeah," Harry said groggily, slowly getting to his feet. "I hope it's not important because I'm in no shape to go into work today."

"That makes two of us," Hermione said in understanding.

Harry walked over to the window, opened it and took the note form the owl's mouth. "Thanks, Pink," he said, then petted the birds head affectionately before closing the window.

Hermione laughed as the owl flew off. "I still can't believe he named it, Pink."

"It is Tonk's favourite colour," he commented while opening the note.

The note read:

Harry,

The photo you've been looking for has been sent to you at the ministry. The envelope bore no marks and immediately aroused suspicion so was handed to me in your absence as a result. That's not all Harry; it came with a note that implies a threat. A threat against Hermione. You must see it at once.

Remus

Harry felt his blood instantly boil. This was bad.

"Darling, is everything ok?" Hermione asked smiling at him.

Harry's face gave nothing away. He'd become an expert at hiding his emotions and had to be able to show no surprise in his line of work. He looked closely at Hermione who was sitting in front of him. His mind started to bring memories of the not so distant past to the forefront of his mind as the inner battle began. He had made a promise to be honest with her, and to always let her know if something was troubling him. Above all, he promised never to hide things from her anymore. But then, she had been through so much these past few months, especially the past night; she deserved a small break from all the crap they had had to put up with recently didn't she? There was no need to worry her with this photo business, particularly now that she was pregnant. There was no chance he would take any risks when it came to Hermione or their unborn baby. Harry, right there and then made a decision that would surely come back to bite him in the arse.

"Well, is everything ok?" Hermione asked him again, still beaming up at him.

Harry folded the note up and put it his back pocket. He then put on the most convincing smile he could muster. "Everything is fine sweetheart."

Hermione grinned and held out both of her hands for him to take, completely unaware that her fiancé had just broke the most important promise he'd ever made to her.

****