Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just One More Thing by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just One More Thing

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

AN: Please note that some characters may come across as ooc. I try and make them as true to character as I can, but some times change in personalities are important in order to make my story work. Hope you can still enjoy it.

Just One More Thing

Chapter Four

****

Despite being in the middle of July, lightning lit up the sky, along with loud cracks of thunder and pouring rain. Remus and Tonks had just sat down to have dinner, with candles in the middle of their dinner table, being their only source of light.

"Oh I love a good thunder storm." said Tonks. "Makes things all so cosy when you're sat nice and warm in your home.

"I agree." Remus took a sip of water from his glass. "Very cosy indeed." They continued eating when a lock knock at the door disturbed them.

Tonks looked up from her plate. "Are you expecting anyone?" she asked.

"No." Remus wiped his mouth with a napkin, "Do excuse me darling." he rose from his chair, and walked into the corridor that led to the front door. He opened it to find Harry, completely wet through, looking like a lost puppy.

Remus stared at him with grave concern. "Harry. I wasn't expecting you, is everything alright?"

Harry shook his downward facing head slowly. "No." he said in a soft voice.

Remus gently grabbed him by the upper arm. "Well don't just stand there, come out of that rain." he encouraged him in, and closed the door. With his hand moving to his shoulder, Harry finally looked up, but wouldn't' make eye contact.

"I had nowhere else to go." Harry said in a whisper.

"Harry, what happened? What's that mark on the side of your face?" Remus asked. "Did you get into a fight?" Harry again shook his head. "Well then who did this?" Remus pointed to the glowing red mark on Harry's cheek, that was getting bigger by the second.

Harry stared directly into his eyes. "Hermione." he replied sadly.

Remus scrunched up his face in confusion. "Hermione?" Seconds later his face relaxed its features, and he looked at Harry with a worried expression. "Oh Harry what did you do?"

Tonks appeared in the hallway, to see what was keeping Remus. "Harry what are you doing here?"

He looked at her. "I'm sorry Tonks, I didn't want to disturb you both, I really needed to talk to someone and my feet brought me here."

"You're always welcome here Harry you know that." she said trying to comfort him. "Come through to the dinning room, we need to get you dried out. He followed her with Remus behind him.

As he entered their dimly lit dinning room, he noticed two half eaten plates of food, and candles on the table.

"I'm sorry, I've obviously disturbed you guys, I'm just gonna go okay?." When he turned around to leave, he found Remus with his arms crossed blocking his path.

"You are not going anywhere young man." Remus walked up to him. "However, you are going to tell me exactly happened tonight."

"But first you need this." Harry turned towards Tonks, who swished her wand towards him. He instantly began to feel warmer, as well as dry, and could no longer feel water droplets sliding down his back. He looked at her gratefully. "Don't worry about dinner, thing are easily warmed up."

"Thanks Tonks." he said

"You're welcome Harry. But may I suggest at least a jacket next time? Hmm?" she smiled. "Anyway, you and Remus go and plonk yourselves down in the living room by the fire, and I shall bring you both some hot chocolate. How does that sound?"

"That sounds divine." said Remus. Harry gave a look of appreciation.

Remus led Harry into the living room. Tonks arrived soon after with their drinks, and told them that it was probably best they talked alone. Excusing herself, she left saying that she fancied a nice long bath. Remus sat down on one end of the sofa, sitting back with his legs crossed. He closely watched Harry, who was standing against the wall near the fire. After Harry told him what had happened earlier that night, Remus was shocked to say the least. He never thought that Harry and Hermione, would cause each other so much pain. Unnecessary pain at that.

"Well." Remus said. "Have you thought about what you're going to do next?"

Harry glanced to his side towards the fire, and crossed his arms. "What can I do?" he said softly. He looked over at Remus. "She doesn't want me in her life anymore."

Remus shook his head. "Harry, I wouldn't take what Hermione said in the heat, or shall we say furnace in your case, of the moment as gospel. You two have been best friends for over 11 years now. Do you really believe, that she will be able to erase you from her life as easy as that?"

Harry looked thoughtful for a moment. "You didn't see her face Remus, she meant it. In all the time I've known her, I've never known her look at anyone the way she looked at me tonight." he sniffed as though he was getting a cold. "Could've made the ones that Voldermort gave me appear friendly."

"And what about what you said to her." Remus uncrossed his legs and leant forward. "Did you mean it?"

Harry shook his head vigorously. "No of course I didn't." he said quickly.

"Then why did you say it?" Remus asked.

"Because I was angry!" Harry said in an annoyed fashion.

Remus grinned and put a hand in mid air. "There you go then."

Harry snorted and looked down at his feet. "She will never forget what I said though."

"Of course she won't." Remus said. "And neither will you, but people do forgive."

"I don't see how?" Harry thought for a while. "I wouldn't forgive me."

Remus was glad to see him finally opening up, and decided that this was the perfect moment to get to the bottom of the mess, that Harry and Hermione had created for themselves. "In order for me to be of any help to you, I need you to answer my next question as honestly as you possibly can."

Harry looked at him curiously. "Okay."

"Harry, do you love Hermione?" Remus didn't give Harry a chance to reply just yet and raised his hand, "And I'm not talking about the love that one has for a best friend. I'm asking you if you love her, in the way your father loved your mother?

Harry felt the wind get knocked out of him with Remus's question. He thought he'd been hiding it so well. His reasons for not admitting it to anyone, were purely down to the fact that nothing had happened to him whilst growing up, that had scared him as much as falling in love with Hermione had. He never thought of himself as a control freak by any stretch of the imagination, but he did like knowing that there were possibilities and answers to whatever he was faced with. Possibilities and answers that Hermione always gave him. Whenever he had a problem, she was the first person he turned to. How could he possibly ask Hermione's opinion regarding a topic that was about her? Love was something that he couldn't rationalise no matter how hard he tried, so in the end he thought if he ignored it long enough, it would simply go away. But now, he didn't think that there was anything, he could've been more wrong about.

"Do you?" Remus interrupted his thoughts. Harry looked at him with tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

"More than anything in my world." he admitted softly.

Remus grinned at him and nodded his head. "And what's happened to make you think, that she doesn't feel the same way as you do?"

Harry gave a fake laugh. "You think she loves me after the way I treated her tonight?" Harry pushed himself from the wall, and let his arms fall to his sides. "She hates me."

Remus stood up. "Really? What was your excuse for not telling her last week?, Last month?, Or Last year?"

Harry walked over to the nearby window, and put his hands on his hips. "I'm terrified ok? And I've seen a lot of scary shit."

"What is it about being in love with Hermione that scares you so much?" asked Remus.

"I'm afraid that," he closed his eyes. "I'm afraid that'll disappoint her. That I won't be able to give her the happiness and stability she deserves. I mean look at what happened tonight, I said something, to the woman who I'm madly in love with, that I knew would tear her apart." Harry turned around to face Remus. "What kind of person does that make me? I'm no better than Steven."

"You know that's not true, you are nothing like him." Remus said. "Harry, I will never condone your actions tonight, but I understand why you did what you did. You've had these feelings locked up for so long, that they're eating you up inside. And if loving Hermione as much as you say you do doesn't't scare you, then you wouldn't be normal. The only thing that you must remember is that love, as well as being scary, can be the most amazing force in life. If it wasn't for love, you wouldn't have made it as far as you have. It comes in all shapes and forms, and I believe the one that you feel for Hermione, is the greatest of them all."

Harry wiped away the tears, that had freely started to run down his cheeks. "I don't know what to do, or say to her."

Remus put both hands on Harry's shoulders. "I can't help you with that. It has to come from you're heart, which I know is full to the brim. But the minute you look into her eyes, everything will be clear. You are the bravest person I know son. And if anyone in this world deserves to be happy, its you.

Harry smiled. "Think she'll hit me again?"

Remus cocked his head from side to side and grinned. "Could be a possibility at first. But is she worth it?"

"She's worth dying for." Harry answered honestly.

"Then you can handle a slap." Harry laughed, then Remus pulled him in to a tight hug, and patted his back. "You can make this work Harry, trust me."

"I hope you're right Remus" said Harry. "I hope you're right."

Remus pulled back. "Harry, why don't you stay here tonight? Clear your head and give Hermione a chance to calm down."

"That's a good idea Remus, thanks." agreed Harry.

"You go and get cleaned up, I'll owl Ron and tell him not to expect you home tonight." Remus started to leave the room, when Harry called to him.

"Remus." The older man turned around. "Thanks. For everything, I feel as though a huge weight has been lifted."

Remus smiled. "I'm glad." He left the room, and Harry Potter, who for the first time in his life, had begun seeing things clearly.

****

Not long after Harry left the flat, and the girls flocked to her bedroom, an apologetic Hermione politely asked them to leave so she could be alone. They obliged without protest, and assured her that they would check up on her the next day, to see how she was doing. In the next couple of hours that followed, Hermione would swear blind, that she shed enough tears to fill a pensieve basin. Why had he said that to her? Hermione knew she was all brains and intelligence, and always felt self conscious of herself when it came to her appearance. Her best friends knew this, and the one person who she trusted most in the world, had used her fear of never measuring up to other girls in the looks department, to intentionally hurt her. All because of an argument he realised he could never win, Harry had to resort to something that he knew would pierce her heart. And thanks to him, she now looked even worse than she thought she could. Lying sideways on her bed, sniffling and wiping her eyes with a handkerchief, Hermione was disturbed when the door to her bedroom opened, and a creak of light shone through her dark room.

"Hermione?" Ron asked. "Are you still awake?"

Hermione considered pretending to be asleep, but he sounded so concerned bless him. She sat up, and swung her legs over the bed, still facing away from him. "I'm awake Ron." she said quietly.

"Can I come in?" Ron opened the door a little wider.

"Sure." she nodded.

Ron stepped inside the room. "Lumos." he muttered. Light filled the room, and he approached Hermione with a cup in his hand. When she faced him, he wasn't prepared for what he saw. She was a complete mess. Her eyes were puffy, she had hair matted to her face, and tears were still managing to escape down her cheeks.

"I made you some tea." Ron held out the cup in front of her. "It's your favourite, that herbal stuff you like with lemon and honey."

Hermione smiled, gave her eyes one more dab, and accepted the drink. "Thanks, that's sweet of you."

Ron sat down beside her. "Honey, then lemon, then water right?"

Hermione smiled, sniffed and shook her head. "Lemon, then honey, then water. Or honey, then water, then lemon comes last."

Ron sighed. "I'm sorry Hermione, I tried. It's the first time I've attempted it, Harry usually make---." he stopped when he saw Hermione's face start to crumble again.

She looked at him smiled sadly. "It's fine, thank you."

Ron looked scared for a moment. "Can I tell you something?"

"If it's constructive." she said

"He didn't mean it you know." Hermione glanced at him. "You both just got really angry, and lost control." Ron tried to reason.

"He had to have thought it on some level to have said it. In front of our closest friends at that." she said softly.

"I don't exactly know what happened tonight, that made you two scream at each other like that." After Ron's comment, Hermione placed the cup on her dresser, stood up and went over to the window.

"He doesn't want me to have a life, that fails to revolve around him." she folded her arms.

Ron shook his head slightly. "I don't think that's true Hermione." he said softly. "He's worried about you, and the one pattern that we've seen time and time again with Harry, is that when he's worried about something, or afraid he's going to lose someone, he pushes them away. He says and does things that don't always reflect how he really feels, or on what he wants to do."

Hermione closed her eyes. "He hurt me." she whispered. Another tear escaped when her lids fluttered open. "I always thought of him as the one person who could never do that." the tears had now began flowing freely down her already stained face. "I never thought I could say, or do, anything, that would make him feel the need to say that to me." Hermione completely broke down, and put both hands on her face.

Ron went over to her, and enveloped her into a hug. She cried on his shoulder, whilst he did his best to help calm her down. "It's gonna be ok. Everything will be ok." he said, as he tried to comfort.

"I hit him Ron." she said in disbelief. "I hit him really hard. Why did I have to do that?"

Ron pulled back. " Because he deserved it. And because anyone in your position would've done the same thing."

Hermione shook her head vigorously. "I'm no better than those awful people he had to spend his early childhood with!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, you stop right there." Ron begged her. "First off, it was only a slap, he'll get over it. Second of all, how could you possibly compare yourself, to those monsters that he grew up around? You are nothing like them Hermione and to be honest, I'm shocked that you could think otherwise."

She looked up at him with tears still falling. "But I still hit him."

Ron gave her a comforting smile. "Hermione, you acted on impulse. At that split second in time, you thought you were doing the right thing. What he said shocked everyone, including himself believe me. He's gonna be feeling just as bad you, probably worse because he knows that he hurt you so badly."

"He's not home then yet?" she asked.

"No." Ron answered.

Hermione walked over to her dresser, and looked at her reflection in the mirror. Picking a tissue from the box on top, she turned to Ron and smiled. "I wouldn't worry about Harry if I were you, he's probably tucked up safely in bed with some leggy blonde by the name of Kate by now." Ron looked at her in a confused manner.

"Hermione, Remus not long owled. Harry's staying with him and Tonks for the night." Ron explained.

For some reason, Hermione felt much better with that knowledge. She looked over at the clock which read 2.30am. "God is that time? Ron Thank you for cheering me up, but I have to get some sleep I'm working tomorrow."

"It's Sunday, its your day off." said Ron.

"I know, but I promised Mr Stockwell that I would help out tomorrow at the bookshop. He needs to nip out for a few hours, so I offered to cover." she walked over and hugged him. "Thank you."

"Your welcome." he returned the hug, kissed her head and started to leave. "I'll be across the hall if you need anything." Hermione nodded, and he left. She quickly changed into her pyjamas, got into bed, and prayed that sleep would come to her. Tomorrow was going to be a long day. Soon enough she entered the land of dreams, where the man of hers with shiny emerald green eyes, was waiting for her.

****

The next morning at the flat, Ron was sitting at the dinning table with a cup of coffee, reading Quidditch weekly. He had just brought the drink to his lips, when he heard a loud pop causing him to spit coffee everywhere. He wiped his mouth and glared at Harry, who had just apparated in front of him.

"How many times have we agreed, not to apparate into the living room due to the risk of heart failure?! God Harry, you scared the shit out of me." Ron angrily wiped at his top.

"Sorry." Harry said, with a smile.

"And what's with the stupid grin?" Ron asked.

"I love Hermione." Harry took a deep breath, and continued to grin.

"Right." Ron muttered as though it was obvious to anyone, and went back to reading his magazine, leaving Harry utterly confused.

"Ron didn't you hear what I just said?" asked Harry.

Ron looked up at him, "Yeah I heard you. Sorry Harry was I supposed to be surprised?"

Harry cleared his head of the daze he was in, by giving it a quick shake. "Erm, yeah I, thought you would be."

"Well I'm not, and don't you be surprised if everyone else reacts the same." Ron stood up and smiled. "So Remus was the one that finally got it out of you eh?"

Harry nodded slowly. "You came real close Ron. But last night, was it. I finally faced the fact that, if I don't act on it now, I'm gonna lose her.

"Well I'm glad you finally came to your senses Harry. One thing that concerns me though, I mean it took you what, 11 years to admit to yourself how you feel about Hermione? How long is it gonna take you to admit it to her?"

"Don't worry Ron, I'm gonna tell her and it's not going to take another 11 years trust me."

Ron breathed a sigh of relief, and smiled widely. "That's good. Look, she's working at blotts today as a favour to Mr Stockwell. She'll be on her own, so go down, profess your love, kiss and make up."

"I can't do that Ron."

"Why not?"

"Before I tell her how I feel, I need to make her see Steven for what he really is." Harry explained.

Ron ran both hands through his hair. "No, no, no, no, no, no, Harry. No more games ok? Just go an tell her the truth I'm begging you, I can't take all this waiting anymore it's torture."

"Ron think about it, if I go and tell her I love her now, she won't believe me. She'll think the only reason I'm doing it is to try and stop her from marrying Steven. That and we didn't exactly part on the best of terms last night did we? She'd probably put a thousand locking charms in place if she saw me walk past the window."

"Harry, how are you planning on doing that? Technically he hasn't done anything illegal, there's no law against being a prick, although there should be." Ron felt for his friend, he could only imagine being in such a dilemma.

"I'll find away, I always do. She has never given up on me ever, and I don't plan on giving up on her." Harry looked regretful as he continued. "How was she after I left?" he asked softly.

"She cried for a while." Harry flinched at this. "We had a talk, and that was it. I don't need to tell you what was said Harry, you probably know the gist."

"Disappointment, shock, hurt at what I said? Am I getting warm?" asked Harry.

"Yeah, that was about it. Also she felt that you must have believed some of what you said to be true, to think it in the first place." Harry was ridden with guilt. "Harry, I told her you didn't mean it, she knows you didn't. She even felt guilty about slapping you the way she did."

Harry's head snapped up in surprise. "She did?" Ron nodded. "She should have hit me harder."

"She loves you Harry." Ron stated.

"What makes you so sure?"

"I know I'm not the most intelligent person in the wizarding world, but I can read you two like an open book. You're both so afraid of risking what you've always counted on for so long." Harry gave a questioning look. "Each other."

"I hope for my sanity that you're right Ron."

"Her heart's always been yours Harry. Even when she dated Krum, and also during the three glorious days she dated me." They both laughed.

"Thanks." said Harry.

"And your right. You always do find a way." Ron took his cup to the kitchen sink, grabbed his coat and turned to Harry. "Listen I'm going to see Fred and George at the joke shop, want to come?"

"No I think I'm gonna stay here, and think about what I can do to expose the bastard. Anyway I thought that Fred and George were in Romania visiting Charlie." said Harry.

"They were, they got back last night. You just missed Fred actually, came round this morning and said he and George needed my permission for a new prototype joke they've created. Should be interesting." Ron pulled on his coat. "Oh by the way, Hermione won't be back till later, she's going to Steven's for dinner after work."

"Great." Harry said sarcastically.

"Let me know if you find anything we can use ok? I'll be at wheezes." Ron waved at Harry, and disapparated.

****

Hermione was glad that she decided to work at the bookshop today. While she couldn't banish it completely, it was certainly helping her to keep her mind off of Harry, and their argument. She busied herself by tidying the shelves, and reorganizing various books. Everything was going fine until the bell chimed to indicate a customer, and in walked Kate Johnson on the arm of a handsome man.

"This is all I need." thought Hermione. Hermione put on her best professional smile, as Kate approached the counter.

"Hermione how lovely to see you again, it's been too long." Kate smiled at her.

"Not long enough." Hermione kept smiling . "Yes it has."

"How are you?" asked Kate.

"Fine. You?" Hermione was getting sick of the small talk. All she wanted was for Kate to pick a book, and go.

"Lovely thanks." Kate flicked her blonde locks. "How's Harry? I haven't seen him for a while."

"You make me feel sick." Hermione, ever the professional kept smiling. "Well you should know, you work at the same place as him."

"Oh I haven't been at work the last week, I've been away on holiday. The last time I saw him he was out of his face at The Three Broomsticks, I've got to say he's an adorable drunk." Kate giggled at the memory.

"Is this the book you were after pookie?" The man Kate came in with handed her a book, and kissed her nose.

"Oh Hermione, where are my manners?" Kate said.

"You mean you have some? No. It's shame you lack. Over a week ago Steven saw you and Harry sucking face, and you've already sunk your claws into another man." thought Hermione.

"This is my fiancé, Josh Markham." Josh held out his hand to Hermione, which she shook. "He works with Harry."

"Great to finally meet you Hermione. Harry talks about you all the time, I feel like I already know you." he smiled.

"Does Harry know about this?" Hermione asked.

"Of course. I told him that night in the pub." answered Kate.

"That's it." Hermione lost all politeness, and glared at the woman in front of her. "Was that before or after, you and Harry tried to swallow each other?!"

Josh looked at Kate who was wearing a look of shock and disbelief. "I beg your pardon."

"Drop the act Kate. Stev--, someone saw you that night in The Three Broomsticks, you and Harry were all over each other before you finally had the decency to go and get a room!" Hermione said fiercely.

Still visibly stunned, Kate took a deep breath, and looked at Hermione. " I don't know who told you that, but it's a vicious lie." she said calmly. "I worked till late that night and popped into the pub for a drink, when I found Harry at the bar, drowning himself in Firewhiskey. We talked for no longer than 10 minutes maybe, during which I told him I was getting married to Josh, the man he introduced me too. He gave me a hug, and a innocent kiss on the cheek Hermione. Innocent. And then he left, alone. There was certainly no swallowing going on as you put it. I have been with Josh now for 6 months, I can assure you there is nothing going on between me and Harry, nor has there ever been."

It was Hermione's turn to be stunned, but she still had one ace card left. "Are you denying that you slept with him then?"

"No. Because I did sleep with him Hermione." replied Kate.

Hermione felt her heart start to ache again. Kate noticed her face and felt bad for her. Of course what went on between her and Harry was no one else's business, and it was lucky that Josh already knew about what rather didn't happen between the two of them, but Kate was also one of the many who knew how Harry and Hermione really felt about each other. It softened her anger.

"Look Hermione, I did sleep with Harry ages ago, sleep being the operative word. Nothing happened. We got a room that's true, but all we did was sleep. I know that's probably hard for you to believe but it's the truth." Kate sounded very sincere.

"But he made it sound like you did more, than just sleep." Hermione said. "Why would he let me believe that?" she asked sadly.

"I can't tell you that Hermione, it's not my place." Kate was comforted when Josh rubbed her back soothingly.

"I am so sorry." Hermione said. "It was none of my business anyway, and I had no right to speak to you the way I did. For that I apologise."

Kate smiled. "Apology accepted. Look Hermione, I don't know who told you that rubbish about me and Harry in The Broomsticks, but whoever it is are being very vindictive, and obviously want you to have a bad view of either Harry or me. Don't believe everything you hear." she placed galleons on the counter. "For the book."

"Thanks." Hermione took the money. "Oh and congratulations on you wedding." she turned to Josh. "Nice to meet you Josh."

"Nice to meet you too, and Thanks." Josh put his arm around Kate.

"Your invitation will be in the post soon Hermione." Kate waved, and her and Josh left the bookshop.

Hermione was stunned that Kate still wanted to invite her to the wedding after her outburst. It wasn't often that Hermione was wrong about anything, if ever. She trusted her source regarding Harry and Kate, not only that, Harry let her believe that him and Kate had slept together, well had sex. They hadn't had sex after all. If only she knew that earlier she could have saved herself from a lot of sleepless nights, and waves of nausea. But the thing that was bothering her most of all, was why had Steven lied to her so blatantly? She would be sure to ask him at dinner tonight.

****

Harry was going nuts. He had his head in his hands, sitting at the dinning room table. There was nothing he could find to destroy Hermione's view of Steven. Ron was right, Steven wasn't a criminal, he was just a huge dickhead that had Hermione fooled. The more and more hopeless things looked, Harry started to get a sinking feeling. He had finally admitted to himself that Hermione was his life, his reason for living. There was no way he was going to let her go, not now that he was so close to telling her that she was the person that made his world worth living in. He had made a promise to himself, the only way Hermione was going to marry Steven Atkins, would have to be over his dead body.

Harry was interrupted from his thoughts, when he heard three loud pops, and then saw three Weasleys standing in front of him with huge grins.

"I thought you said not to apparate in here, only in the bedrooms." said Harry.

"We got him." Ron announced with a triumphant grin.

Harry looked at him confused. "Got who?" Harry asked intrigued.

"Steven you Muppet. We got him." Ron said, with elated happiness evident in his voice.

Harry jumped from his chair. "How?"

Fred stepped forward. "Harry, just remember that what me and George did, has ultimately lead to you being able to nail this idiot. And in no way should you be angry with us."

Harry narrowed his eyes. "What did you do?" he asked suspiciously.

"Be prepared Harry, even I think it gross and that's saying something." Ron said.

"Well?" Harry was staring to get impatient.

Fred pulled out of his pocket, a small object which Harry identified as small round badge, and placed it on the table.

"What's that?" asked Harry. "And what does it do?"

""Have you ever heard of a muggle device called the whoopi cushion? It makes farting sounds." George said excitedly.

"Yeah." Harry really wanted to know where they were going with this.

"Well me and Fred decided to create something similar, only ours would make all different kinds of sounds. All you have to do, is leave this badge to pick up some embarrassing sounds, stick it to the victim in a crowded place, and watch them get embarrassed." George explained. "You activate it with your wand, every noise it picks up, you can play back.

"It sounds fun, but how does this help me?" asked Harry.

"This is where it gets gross." said Ron.

"The thing is Harry," started Fred, "we needed to get our sounds from somewhere, and we needed them to be natural." the twins looked at each other guiltily.

"And?" Harry prompted.

"Do you remember the night before we went to Romania for a month, we came here for a few drinks?" Fred asked. Harry nodded. "Well, don't get angry, that night we planted the badge in your bathroom to pick some sounds up."

Harry looked grossed out. "That's disgusting. Why would you do something like that?"

"All we wanted were a few farts Harry. No big deal." defended George.

"No big deal?!" Harry asked irritated. "You know that farting isn't the only thing that goes on in a bathroom George. Eeww!" Harry tried to shake the thoughts from his head.

"We weren't gonna use 'those' sounds, just the farting sounds." Fred added.

"Look we can argue over this later." Ron stepped in. "I think were missing the point here."

"What is the point Ron? How can this possibly help me? This is low, even for you two, how do you think Hermione would feel if she knew about this?" Harry asked.

"Harry, don't you get it? It picks up sounds!" Ron exclaimed. Poor Harry was still oblivious. "Sounds Harry! Like farts, slightest movements," Ron stared Harry straight in the eyes. "Conversations!"

Harry's face slowly turned from one of confusion, to realisation, as it eventually dawned on him. The device that Fred and George had planted, had picked up the conversation between him and Steven. He couldn't believe it. After thinking everything seemed hopeless, he finally had something that would prove to Hermione, just what kind of lowlife scum Steven really was. Her fiancé would never be able to get out of this. Harry had him by the balls, and he was going to enjoy every minute, of ripping them from his body, and ramming them down his snotty little throat.

Fred and George looked at Harry with apprehension. He walked up to them with a serious expression, and stared at them both, before jumping on them and kissing their heads. They were both relieved, to say the least.

Harry was thrilled. "Thank you, thank you, thank you." he repeated. He checked his watch, "Ron what time does Hermione finish today?"

"Think she said about 1.00pm. But she's going to Steven's straight after, if you leave now you can catch her still." said Ron.

"No." Harry put a finger to his chin. "I've got a better idea. Fancy going to Steven's house later? Only fair we share what we've discovered with the both of them, don't you think?" Ron grinned evilly. "Besides, I want to see that little shit self destruct in front of me."

"You're evil at times, you know that?" Ron crossed his arms. "I like it."

"No one, and I mean no one, messes with our Hermione and gets away with it." Ron would swear forever, that he saw a flash of fire in Harry's eyes when he said that. "He has to pay."

Ron was so happy that Harry had finally realised, and accepted that love was worth everything. Harry no longer appeared to be afraid of the commitment and attention, that a romantic relationship involved. Even though Harry had no real relationship experience, whenever Hermione was around him, he looked as though he could take on the world. The passion in his eyes whenever he talked about Hermione was incredible. One thing was for sure, he didn't know anyone who would want to be in Steven Atkins shoes right now. Harry was going to bury him.

****

Blissfully unaware at what was unfolding elsewhere, Steven Atkins was grinning like a Cheshire cat, as he sat down to dinner with Hermione. Smugly raising his glass, he winked at his fiancée. He had her right where he wanted her. Harry out of her life, was going to make it so much easier. As soon as he married Hermione, he would get his payday. Hermione Granger was going to be his wife, the publicity was going to be great for his career, and Hermione already did everything he asked. Life couldn't be much better.

Hermione was quiet all through dinner. It wasn't unusual, she rarely spoke during dinner with him. Steven viewed it as being rude. At this moment in time she was thankful for it, because she still hadn't figured out how to approach the subject of Harry and Kate, and why he had lied to her about what had happened between them, or not happened as it were. Her thoughts were soon interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Wonder who that could be." Steven said, not moving.

"Well aren't you going to answer it?" asked Hermione.

"Be a good girl and get it for me will you?" Steven shoved another mouthful of food into his mouth, while Hermione left tight lipped, to go answer the door. Upon opening it she was shocked to come face to face with Harry and Ron.

"What are you doing here?" she asked softly, her eyes never leaving Harry's.

"I've got something that might be of interest to you." Harry looked in to her eyes, even though they still weren't on the best terms, her eyes still managed to soothe him.

"I don't think anything in your possession, could be of interest me." Hermione was almost whispering.

"Trust me Hermione it's important. That's why we're both here." Ron said.

"It's something both you and Steven should see." Harry was pleading she could tell. Just then Steven appeared behind Hermione.

"Ron, Harry, to what do we owe this pleasure?" Steven asked, in a sickeningly sweet voice.

"We needed to speak to you both." said Harry.

Steven looked down at Hermione. "Well don't let them stand there dear, let them in."

Ron and Harry shared a smile. The idiot had no idea what he just let himself in for. Hermione let them past, and shut the door.

Steven led them into his living room, and was soon joined at his side by Hermione. "Can I get you anything to drink?" both boys declined. "Sit down please." Steven gestured to some nearby chairs.

"No, thank you, we wont be staying long." Harry crossed his arms.

"Harry, before you say anything, can I just say that there is no need to apologise for the other night. We both want Hermione to be happy, and as far as I'm concerned, its water under the bridge." Steven put his arm around Hermione, who still couldn't tear herself away from those green eyes that were staring right back into hers.

Harry broke his gaze with Hermione, and stared at Steven. "I'm not here to apologise to you." he stepped closer to him. "I'm here to give you a chance, to tell Hermione what you said to me in the bathroom last night."

"What are you talking about Harry?!" asked Hermione, in an angry voice. "Have you come here just to start trouble again, because if you have, you can just leave!"

Harry ignored her. "Well?"

"I'm afraid, I have no idea what you're talking about." Steven was still as smug as ever.

Harry smiled, and cocked his head to the side. "You sure about that?"

"Get out of my house you pathetic loser." Hermione looked up at Steven, who was weirdly calm. He really had no idea.

"Harry please just go, please." Hermione was now pleading with him.

"I can't do that Hermione." Harry stuck his thumb up at Ron, who then took the badge and wand from his pocket.

"Going to do a trick for us are you?" Steven sarcastically laughed. "How wonderful."

Just then, the room was filled with an echo. It sounded like a speaker had been turned up loudly, only no sound was coming out. Hermione was about to ridicule the whole situation, when she heard it. Two voices that belonged to Harry and Steven. The voices were echoed, but easily understood.

"I'm afraid that, once Hermione and I are married, I'm going to feel so sad at the amount of time that she spends with you. Neglected even. My wife will certainly put my needs first right?"

Hermione recognised the voice as Steven's immediately. As she continued to listen intently, she knew the next voice belonged to Harry.

"Let's get one thing straight. You don't frighten me, and whatever it is that you think, Hermione and you have, it will never compare to what she and I share. Understood."

Hermione looked over to Harry with tears in her eyes.

"You talk about your friendship and pathetic things that you did at that school, but you're never going to see a side of her that I already know. And if by some miracle you did, you can take comfort in knowing that I was the one who broke her in for you."

Hermione glared at Steven, who had now gone as white as a sheet. The voices continued to ring in everyone's ears.

"Go on Potter, I want you to. Who do you think she would believe after the way you acted tonight?" there was a pause in sound, "I didn't think so. God her as my wife is going to make my career rocket."

Ron waved his wand over the badge, and put it back in his pocket, and then gave Steven the biggest smile he could. Harry walked right up to him.

"That was no trick. I'd say that was pure magic." Harry gloated. He then looked at Hermione, who was glaring at Steven with hate in her eyes.

"How could you?" Hermione asked in a demanding tone. "How could you say such things?! Is that all I am to you, a step up?!!

Steven knew he was beaten, but was not going down letting them believe he was affected. "Did you honestly believe that I was marrying you, for you Hermione?" Hermione felt tears in her eyes, and Harry's head looked ready to explode. Steven laughed mockingly. "You did didn't you? How sad." Hermione dropped her head, unable to look at him anymore. "Why would I want to marry, a boring, lifeless, frigid, know it all mudbl---" Steven never got to finish his sentence. He was slammed up against a wall, and his vocal cords were being squeezed together from the tight grip Harry had on his throat.

"Harry leave him, he's not worth it." Hermione shouted.

Harry's grip only tightened, Steven was terrified, and tried to pry away Harry's hand with his. It was no use, Harry was far too strong for him. "Now you had better listen good because I'm only going to say this once. If I so much as catch you looking in Hermione's direction ever again, I'm gonna rip that heart out of your chest, or whatever it is you have in there that keeps you breathing, and I'll pin it to your forehead!" Harry pulled Steven's throat forward, and slammed his head against the wall again with harsh force. "Understand!" Steven nodded quickly, but Harry still hadn't let go. "Say it! Say yes you understand me!"

"Yes." Steven managed to croak out. "I understand."

Hermione put her hand on Harry's arm, the arm which was controlling the hand holding Steven's throat. "Harry, let him go." He looked into her eyes, and saw that they were starting to glisten. "Its over. Lets just go home. Please, take me home." His grip on Steven's throat started to slowly loosen. They never broke each others gaze, as Hermione reached up, and took Harry's hand away from Steven's neck. Steven started coughing, and checking his neck for injury. Hermione removed the ring from her left hand, and gave it back to Steven.

"Did you get that ring free with a piece of chewing gum?" Harry asked.

Ron laughed, and Hermione gave him a warning glare. "Harry."

"Sorry. Couldn't resist." Hermione desperately tried to hide her grin. "C'mon it was funny." she allowed herself to smile.

"Good enough for a slag!" Steven sneered.

Harry turned so quickly, Steven didn't have time to register any movement, before he felt his nose crack, and shatter, after the force of Harry's fist hit him in the face so hard, he lost consciousness.

Hermione put both hands in the air, and stepped backwards. "God." she shrieked.

Harry stood over Steven's unconscious body, and was joined by Ron. "I like him better this way." Ron joked.

"Yeah me too." Harry agreed.

"Can we go home now?" Hermione asked quietly.

The two boys looked at her, and nodded. "Sure, c'mon lets get you out of here." Ron ushered her out, leaving Harry to take one more look at the bloody mess, that was Steven Atkins.

****

When the trio arrived back at the flat, there were still things hanging in the air between Harry and Hermione. They had not talked about the argument they had the previous night, and they needed to. Both said and did some things that needed discussing. Hermione still hadn't forgiven Harry for what he said to her that night, and she wanted an explanation, as to why he said something so hurtful. And of course, Harry had some things to get off his chest also.

The three were standing in the living room after apparating, exchanging looks with each other until Ron broke the deadlock.

"Well it's still early, and I promised Luna that I would pop round given the chance. So if you don't need me here Hermione, do you mind if I go?" Ron knew they probably wanted to be alone.

"Of course it's fine." she said.

"Yeah, but I wanted to know your ok."

"Ron, go. I'm fine, really." she smiled at him.

"Ok." Ron gestured toward them with his hands. "I guess you guys have stuff to talk about anyway, so, I'll see you later. Try not to kill each other eh?" with that he dissaparated, leaving Harry and Hermione alone for the first time since their argument.

"So." Harry scratched the back of his neck. Something Hermione noticed he did regularly when he was nervous about something.

"I bet your happy now." Hermione said softly.

"How do you mean?"

"Well you got what you wanted, I'm not marrying Steven."

"Well I'm not sorry for that. You deserve better."

"I'm still angry with you, you know." she said sternly

"I know. And you have every right to be." he got closer to her.

"Why did you say it? Why did you say something to me that you knew full well would hurt me?" Harry looked down ashamed. "Can you look at me when I'm talking to you please?" he looked at her. "Why Harry?"

"Because I wanted to hurt you." he answered simply.

"Intentionally?" she asked in amazement. When he nodded, she shook her head in disgust, and began pacing. "Why?"

"Because I wanted you to experience some of the pain you were causing me. I know it was wrong, and I regretted it the minute it left my lips." Harry kept his eyes on every expression, and move that Hermione made.

"I don't understand." Hermione was utterly confused. "How did I hurt you? And if I did, you know I would never do it intentionally."

Harry realised it was moment of truth.

"Well? How did I hurt you?" she asked again in urgency.

"You told me you were getting married." he swallowed the lump in his throat, and got even closer to her without breaking eye contact. "And it killed me." he started to pick up a momentum. Remus was right, as soon has he looked into her eyes, he knew exactly what to say. "You were right before, I'm thrilled that your not marrying him, but I still don't have the one thing in life that I really want."

"Yeah what's that?" she asked sighing.

Harry caressed her cheek softly, and let his hand linger, a movement that caused a hitch in Hermione's breath. But nothing could prepare her for what he was about to say.

"You Hermione." her eyes widened in surprise. "Not only do I want you. I need you."

****