Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just One More Thing by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just One More Thing

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

AN: Thanks to my awesome beta Casey and to all of those who still review this story. The end is near.

Just One More Thing

Chapter 40

JOMT

It was Saturday night and he was looking forward to spending it in peace with Molly, but after Remus and Kingsley owled him saying that they had some distressing news, Arthur Weasley immediately agreed to meet them at the Ministry. When he arrived, the aurors proceeded to tell him about what they had found in the Dark Place building.

Arthur stood by his office window with his hands crossed behind his back, looking out at the Ministry below. "Do we know how long he'd been lying there for?"

"Not yet," Remus replied. "All necessary spells are being carried out on the body in order to establish date and time of death."

"We already know the cause?" Arthur asked as he turned around to face them.

Kingsley nodded. "Definitely the killing curse, Arthur."

"I see," the minister nodded. "What of the scene?"

"Other aurors are still at his place now looking for anything that may help us figure out exactly what happened," Kingsley answered. "All we do know right now is that there is no sign of a break-in."

"No wards?" Arthur asked incredulously.

"None in place when we arrived," Remus told him. "Though, I doubt Caldwell was the sort of wizard who would know how to cast or use a proper ward in the first place."

Arthur sat down at his desk and looked at Remus pointedly. "You know who did it, don't you?"

"I have my suspicions," Remus replied.

"Go on," Arthur encouraged.

"Atkins," Remus said convinced. "He takes off suddenly, and then the only realistic witness that we have to his offense ends up dead."

Arthur looked thoughtful. "Attempting to blackmail someone and committing murder using an unforgivable curse are two very different things, Remus."

Kingsley snorted. "Not to someone who's fucking nuts."

"But why kill him?" Arthur mused. "I just don't understand."

Kingsley shrugged. "Maybe he had something on him besides the whole photograph thing. I mean, Harry and Draco told us that Caldwell was renowned for taking out `insurance policies' on his clients. It was his one guarantee that he wouldn't be ratted out after doing the jobs."

"Harry and Draco's report did say that Caldwell had followed Steven in order to get his home address," Remus remembered. "Maybe he had more on him than that after all."

Arthur leant back into his chair and tapped his chin. "But what could it have been?"

"I don't know," Remus said, sounding just as confused, "but whatever it is, we have to find out sooner rather than later."

Arthur nodded in agreement. "Well, if your suspicions are true Remus, then Mr. Atkins is not the sort of person we can have running around loose."

"The guy was only wanted for extortion," Kingsley said, "and now he's gone and committed murder. He's clearly unhinged and very dangerous."

"That's another thing I'm worried about," Remus voiced concerned. "Merlin only knows who he'll go after next."

Mr. Weasley saw fear flash through Remus's eyes, which was completely understandable. He knew instantly who the auror was thinking about, for he too had thought of those two immediately. Their names didn't need to be said out-loud.

Arthur stood up and walked over to him, placing a comforting hand his shoulder. "They will need to be informed."

Remus closed his eyes in distress. He knew Arthur was right, but this whole situation seemed so incredibly unfair. The couple in question had finally found peace and happiness in their lives, and now another madman was seemingly determined to destroy it. This was extremely bad.

Remus's heart wrenched further as he thought of the little baby that was on its way, a baby that hardly anyone knew about except for Harry and Hermione's closest friends and family. He was aware that Arthur and Molly still didn't know, as Harry and Hermione were adamant that Draco and Ginny's wedding reception would not be upstaged by their news. The Weasley's full attention was on Ginny and their son-in-law, and that was the way Harry and Hermione knew it should be. They were planning to tell them immediately afterwards, but he had a feeling that when the couple found out about these new developments, their unborn child would have to become an even bigger secret. It was beyond comprehension what Steven was now capable of; the evil little git had completely lost his mind.

Kingsley patted his friend's back in an attempt to be reassuring. "Hey, who knows? Maybe Steven really has just disappeared. He very well may be gone for good."

Remus knew his partner was trying to make him feel better, but it didn't work. Kingsley himself said only moments ago that he thought Steven was `fucking nuts'. "You don't believe that any more than I do," he said sadly.

Arthur frowned. "Well, how can you be so sure?"

Remus snorted. "When have Harry and Hermione's lives ever been that simple?"

Arthur and Kingsley glanced at one another with worry; they both struggled to think of a time when the two ever had it easy.

JOMT

Harry and Hermione were cuddled up in bed together chatting idly. It was getting very late, but neither of them had to be at work the next day, as it was a Sunday. Harry didn't work weekends unless it was absolutely necessary, and his fiancée was now her own boss thanks to him, meaning she could work the hours she wanted at the bookstore. She rarely took liberties, though. She was Hermione Granger after all.

Hermione sighed contently against his chest as she played with the little hairs. His fingers trailed up and down her back gently as she snuggled into him even further.

"You know, there's a house up for sale just outside Hogsmeade," Harry said softly. "Do you want to go take a look at it sometime next week? It looks really nice."

The hand that Hermione was using to rub his chest stilled. "Erm… there's no particular rush is there?"

Harry smiled at her reply. It had been a while ago that Hermione told him she wanted to move, but she hadn't mentioned it recently. Ever since they'd discovered she was pregnant, the conversation hadn't come up again. He was sure that she now wanted to stay where they were, only she hadn't told him that yet. "But I thought you wanted to get a new place?"

"Well…yes I did."

"But...?"

"This might sound strange," she said looking up at him, "and I don't really know how to explain it."

"Might help if you write it down," Harry joked unhelpfully. "It certainly worked for me earlier," he grinned.

"Very funny," Hermione smirked, before turning serious again. "The thing is… I really can't see us living anywhere else but here right now."

Harry used his free hand to stroke the side of her face. "Really?"

"Really," she nodded. "I mean, we can turn my old room into a nursery, and it's not like we don't have enough space. I know that I said I wanted to move, and Harry, if you've got your hopes up, then we can move out just like we--"

Harry put a finger to her lips. "I want to stay here too."

"You do?" she asked happily.

Harry glanced around. "I don't know Hermione; the thought of getting a new place is exciting and all but, this is our home. You know?"

Hermione smiled and laid her head back down against his chest. "Yes. I know exactly what you mean."

"Besides, it's kind of cool to think of our kid growing up in the same place where his or her parents fell in love."

"Discovered they were in love," she corrected him gently. "I fell in love with you years ago."

Harry closed his eyes and smiled. "Mmm, my mistake."

"I can't wait to meet our meet our little bundle of joy."

Harry opened his eyes and kissed the top of her head. "Neither can I."

"Just the three of us," Hermione sighed in wonder.

`Or just the four of us,' Harry thought. He had decided not to mention to Hermione what McGonagall had told him about Dumbledore's prediction, at least not until they saw the ultrasound. There was no need to get her hopes up, or possibly cause her to worry, unless it was absolutely essential.

Twins, or just the one, Harry was going to be thrilled to bits either way. "It's gonna be great," he said, absolutely filled to the brim with joy.

"Boy or Girl?" Hermione questioned.

"Either."

"Oh come on," Hermione pinched him playfully, "humour me."

"I'm being serious."

"You honestly don't mind if it's a boy or a girl?"

"No," Harry replied truthfully, "why? Do you have a preference?"

"No."

Harry smirked. "Hermione?"

"Alright, a girl."

"Why a girl?"

"Because, boys are just trouble," Hermione answered as if it was obvious. "And your son, no doubt, would be the quintessence of mischief. If he's anything like you and Ron, that is."

Harry laughed. "You say that like it's a bad thing," he replied, mocking offense.

"I'm merely pointing out a fact," Hermione said light-heartedly. If she were being completely honest with herself, it wouldn't bother her at all having a little version of Harry running about. "Although, I'm sure he'd be exceedingly cute."

"But, I think you're right in saying he'd be trouble," Harry grinned. "Like you said, he would be my son after all. We shouldn't expect anything else."

Hermione was quiet for a moment, and then she started giggling softly.

Harry gave her a squeeze. "What's tickled you?"

Hermione turned in his arms and then lay completely on top of him. Putting her hands flat on his chest underneath her chin, she looked up and gazed deeply into his eyes. "I've just got visions of this little version of you running around the place."

"Yeah?"

"Hmm," Hermione looked in a daze at the thought, "and now I'm torn between wanting a daughter and getting to meet the little tyke."

Harry smiled and started stroking her shoulders. He still chose not to tell her that they may be lucky and end up getting both at the same time anyway. "I don't think it's really that important what we have," he told her tenderly.

"Of course it's not," Hermione agreed. "We'll love our child like crazy no matter the gender."

"That, and whether it's a boy or a girl, you can always give me the other later."

"And just how many children do you see me popping out for you exactly, Mr. Potter?" she asked teasingly.

Harry cradled her face. "As many as you're willing to give me."

Hermione chuckled. "I'd have to say it's definitely up for negotiation."

"It is?"

"Absolutely," Hermione answered lovingly. "How many were you thinking?"

Harry didn't know whether or not to say. "Oh, I don't know."

"Yes you do," she argued with a humorous voice.

"Oh, at least four."

Hermione quickly raised her brows. "Four?" she repeated in mock shock. "It would mean complete mayhem."

Harry slowly leant down and Hermione was sure that he was going to kiss her, only he stopped when his lips were merely centimetres away from hers. "It would mean that we'd need to have a lot of sex," he commented huskily.

"Then bring it on," Hermione breathed in reply, before closing the gap and fusing her lips to his. Their light-hearted conversation about children was to be the last words they spoke for the rest of the night.

JOMT

The next morning, Draco's owl fluttered incessantly against his owner's window, disturbing Ginny from what had been a heavenly sleep. The redhead glanced to the side of her to see Draco still sleeping like a baby. Git.

She tapped him lightly, "Draco." Her husband didn't move. She tapped a little harder, "Draco." She still didn't get anything. Then, with a pound to the chest like she were trying to wake the dead, "DRACO!"

The blonde shot up and looked around manically yelling, "What?! What?!"

Ginny pointed to the window. "Will you take care of that bloody owl?"

"What?" he asked disoriented. Ginny didn't answer and rolled over on her side. "What time is it?"

"Early," Ginny replied flatly.

Draco sighed and got out of bed sluggishly. He went over to the window, opened it, and took the letter from his owl's beak. He noticed right away that it was from the Ministry.

Draco

Please, can you meet me at the Ministry as soon as possible? It is a matter of urgency.

Remus Lupin

"That's weird." Draco said out loud.

Ginny huffed and turned to face him. "What's weird? Getting no bloody sleep on a Sunday morning?"

Draco ignored her crabbiness and went over to sit by her on the bed. "Remus needs me to go into work."

"Draco, you don't work Sundays."

"I know babe, but it sounds important."

"Fine," Ginny sighed.

Draco pecked her lips then went to get dressed.

When he arrived at the Ministry and saw that not only Remus was there waiting for him, but Kingsley and Arthur as well, his stomach dropped considerably. Remus ushered him into his office and all four men sat down.

"What's going on?" Draco asked.

Kingsley handed him a picture. Draco looked at the frame and saw aurors moving around a dead body while taking photographs.

"We found Geoffrey Caldwell dead last night," Remus informed him.

Draco was stunned, to say the least. "Dead?"

Arthur nodded. "Someone used the killing curse on him."

"Fuck," Draco cursed in shock.

"What do you know about him?" Remus asked.

"Well, nothing really," Draco replied truthfully. "I mean, he wasn't someone who Harry and I considered as an immense threat, if that's what you mean. He was a petty criminal at best."

"What about the sort of people he worked for?" Kingsley asked.

Draco shrugged. "No big fish. From what I can gather, he worked mainly to bribe people with their affairs, illicit or political, for financial gain. The only case of real magnitude when it came to Caldwell was the one that involved Harry and Hermione." Draco saw the other three men glance at each other nervously. "What's this really all about?"

"Draco, Steven didn't show up for his hearing yesterday," Remus finally told him. "He's nowhere to be found."

Draco's breathing hitched in his throat. "He didn't?"

"No," Kingsley confirmed.

Draco looked at the picture in his hand and took a deep breath. "He did this, didn't he?"

"We have every reason to believe he did, yes," Remus replied.

"What do we do now?" Draco asked quickly. He couldn't believe this was happening.

"Aurors are searching his house as we speak," Arthur told him. "I'm using every available resource we have."

"What about Harry and Hermione?" Draco inquired. "They'll need to be told immediately."

Remus stood up. "I was hoping you'd come with me to do that very thing. It may be a little easier coming from us."

"Harry's going to blow his fucking top," Draco said warningly.

Remus blew out a breath. "We know."

JOMT

Hermione sat on a stool at the breakfast bar in the kitchen watching Harry cook their breakfast. He was flipping their omelettes around in the pans when he caught her smiling at him.

"What?" he asked with a grin.

"Am I not allowed to gaze adoringly at you for no reason?" Hermione replied.

"Of course you are," Harry said, looking back at the stove. "But I can see that glint in your eye, and it isn't because I'm cooking."

"I was just thinking."

"Hmm, about what?"

"Whether or not you're always going to be prepared to cook for this large family you intend on having with me."

Harry chuckled. "Do I have a choice?"

"If you want to eat, then no, not really," Hermione said with a laugh. Her cooking was still terrible.

Harry placed the omelettes onto two separate plates. "I suppose I could learn to live with it," he said, jokingly making it out like it was a big deal.

They both grabbed a plate each and went over to the dining room table to begin tucking into their breakfast.

Hermione took a bite and closed her eyes at the taste. Her Harry sure knew how to cook. "Harry, this is gorgeous."

"I should have become a chef," he stated, forking some of his into his mouth.

"You would have been good at it," Hermione said in approval.

Harry finished what was in his mouth. "So, what are your plans for today?"

"Don't have any as of yet."

"Fancy doing something?"

"What do you suggest?" she smiled.

"I don't know; anything. It seems like ages since we've gone out just the two of us."

Hermione understood where he was coming from. The last couple of months had been busy, and even though they'd managed to spend lots of time together in the apartment, they'd not actually ventured outside together in awhile. "I'd be happy just to go for a walk somewhere," Hermione put forward. "It's a bit chilly out, but we'd be okay if we wrap up."

"Sounds good to me," Harry smiled. "It is a Sunday too, so it's not like anything exciting is going on."

"That's settled then," Hermione said cheerfully.

They both finished their off breakfast and got ready to go out for the morning.

They stood at the door starting to put on their cloaks and were just about to leave, when Remus and Draco showed up unexpectedly. Harry, surprised, ushered them in.

Hermione didn't notice the looks of trepidation that were on their faces. "Hi guys, what brings you here? You only just caught us."

Harry helped Hermione with her cloak. "Yeah, we were just on our way out."

Neither of the men said anything, and that's when Harry and Hermione knew something wasn't right.

"What's wrong?" Hermione asked concerned.

"We need to speak to the both of you," Remus replied solemnly.

Harry's eyes narrowed. "What's going on?"

"Maybe we should sit down," Draco said.

"What's happened?" Harry pressed; it was needless to say that the couple's walk was now long forgotten.

They removed their cloaks and led Draco and Remus into the living room. Remus and Draco took a seat in the chairs that were opposite each other, as Harry and Hermione opted to sit side by side on the settee. Harry took Hermione's hand in his; he could see the apprehension on her face. This clearly wasn't a social call.

"What's this all about?" Harry asked.

"Caldwell's dead, Harry," Draco told him.

The grip on her hand tightened, and Hermione looked at Harry in time to see his face go a little pale. "Is that the man who took the photo of us?"

"Yes," he replied.

"Someone performed the killing curse on him," Remus added.

Hermione gasped and put a hand to her mouth, as Harry went rigid. He certainly didn't need a mind-reader to tell him what was going on. Harry was one of the best aurors around, purely because of how fast he was able to piece things together when it came to solving cases, and this time was no different. Well, that wasn't entirely true. It was very different, simply because it involved him and Hermione. "Where's Steven?" he asked through gritted teeth.

Hermione looked at him, wondering what was going through his mind at that moment, and then at Draco and Remus.

"We don't know," Remus replied.

Harry's blood began to boil. "What do mean you don't know?"

"He jumped bail, Harry," Draco explained. "No one knows where he is, or what he's planning to do next."

Hermione looked like she was going to throw up. "You mean you think that… S-Steven killed this man."

Remus nodded in regret. "I'm afraid so, dear."

Hermione suddenly felt bile rise from her stomach. She yanked her hand from Harry's and stood up swiftly. "I-think-I'm-gonna-be-sick," she rushed out all at once. The three men immediately got to their feet and could only watch hopelessly as Hermione covered her mouth and ran off to the bathroom. Harry followed her at a fast pace and left Remus and Draco alone.

"We need to do something, Remus," Draco said desperately.

"I just wish we knew where to start," Remus said desolately.

Harry reached the bathroom and saw that Hermione was already on her knees retching violently into the toilet. He crouched down and gathered her hair into one hand, while soothingly rubbing her back with the other. He couldn't believe that this was happening to them, especially after everything that they'd been through already. It made him feel like an idiot for thinking that just once something could go right in their lives.

Hermione finally stopped vomiting and sat back against the nearest wall, beads of sweat glistening on her forehead. Harry flushed the toilet and handed her a towel. "Are you okay, sweetheart?"

Hermione wiped her face and mouth, and then took some calming breaths. She closed her eyes and let her head fall back against the wall with a thud. "This is all my fault."

Harry felt a little angry at her comment. "Don't say that."

Hermione opened her eyes and looked at him. "Why not? It's true."

Harry shook his head. "No, it's not true. Hermione, none of this is your fault."

Hermione snorted. "If it wasn't for me that, that… thing would never have been in our lives to begin with."

"As if you had any idea he'd turn out this way," Harry said, trying to make her feel better.

"He was poison from the beginning, Harry," she spat as she thought of her ex. "Everyone knew that but me."

"He fooled a lot of people, Hermione," Harry said gently.

"He didn't fool you."

Harry cupped one side of her face. "Hermione, I didn't know anything about the guy. The only reason I hated him from the beginning was because I was jealous. I was terrified that he'd taken you away from me."

"But the second you met him, you knew," Hermione replied, disgusted with herself for bringing this man into their lives; she couldn't comprehend how stupid she had been. Harry knew the second he met Steven that he was trouble, but Hermione was too blind to see it. She was so distraught by the thought that Harry would never love her the way she wanted him to, that she wasn't interested in listening to anything that he had to say back then. It didn't help that their relationship was in the middle of a meltdown at that time either. If only she had listened to Harry from the start, then none of this would be happening.

Harry didn't have the chance to respond to her remark, as Draco entered the room with a glass of water. Their friend gave them a warm smile. "Thought you might want this," he said, handing Hermione the glass.

"Thanks," she said appreciatively. She took the water and sipped it, immediately feeling better for it.

Draco nodded and left them to it, when Harry scooted next to her and rested his back against the wall. "Feeling better?" he asked. Hermione nodded in silence. He put his arm around her and hugged her to him. "Hermione, I promise I won't let anything happen to you," he told her softly, then glanced briefly at her stomach, "either of you."

Tears rapidly appeared in Hermione's eyes. "Harry, I'm so, so, sorry," she sobbed.

Harry couldn't believe she was blaming herself for this. He was at a loss as to what to do to make this situation better, so in the end he did the only thing he could think of: he kissed her forehead and let his lips linger for a few seconds, before taking her into his arms and embracing her tightly.

JOMT

Kim and Natasha were in the living room of their flat lazing in their armchairs. Neither of them had gotten changed out of their pyjamas yet, so it was a typical Sunday morning.

"So, do you think it worked?" Kim asked her friend. She was referring to the plan she and her roommate had hatched in an attempt to get Dean to prove that he was at least human, and that he was capable of showing the tiniest bit of emotion.

"Who knows?" Natasha shrugged.

"Well, how did he look when you told him you had a date?"

"He went silent for a bit," Natasha remembered. "Then started laughing and told me to enjoy my night."

Kim grinned. "I'm telling you now Nat, he's jealous."

"Do you really think so?"

"Of course."

Natasha sighed. "I don't know."

"Who did you tell him you were going out with?"

"I didn't, he automatically assumed it was Ryan."

Kim laughed. "Isn't he the guy you were with the night you punched Dean in the face?"

"Yeah, that's him."

"And I'm guessing you didn't say anything to make him think otherwise?"

"Nope."

"Bonus," Kim said smiling, tremendously proud of her friend's antics.

"I just hope it doesn't backfire," Natasha said. She knew it was a dangerous game that she was playing with Dean, and it could quite easily blow up in her face if she wasn't careful.

"You had to take some action, Nat," Kim told her supportively. "Even if it doesn't work out at, least you took a shot."

"Yeah, I guess," Natasha said, hoping her friend was right. "Speaking of action, Neville spent the night, did he not?"

Kim nodded. "He did."

"And?" Natasha pressed excitedly. "How did things go?"

"Not quite as I had expected," Kim replied honestly.

"What does that mean?"

Kim cocked her head from side to side. "I think I may have… approached it wrong."

Natasha looked at her friend knowingly. "Oh Merlin, Kim, what did you do?"

"Nothing," her friend laughed.

"Yeah, right."

Kim raised her hands. "Okay, okay, I think I may have excited him a little too much."

"How?"

"You remember that red negligee I bought a few months ago when we went out clothes shopping for the day?"

Natasha raised her brows. "Please, tell me you didn't."

"I did."

Natasha covered her mouth and began to laugh. She had seen that particular negligee, and it had the ability to make even the sauciest of men blush. In most cases, a guy would have to be in Dean's league in terms of sexual experience to be able to just look at it without cumming on the spot. Sweet Neville, the virgin, had no chance.

"So then what happened?" Natasha asked.

"Well we got it to go hard again eventually," Kim started candidly. "And then I thought taking off the negligee would make him feel more at ease."

"Did it?"

"No, he saw me stark naked and then the same thing happened again."

Natasha giggled. "Poor Neville."

"He was so nervous," Kim smiled as she remembered last night. "It was so cute."

"I bet he was nervous," Natasha said with a smirk. "What with the negligee and all, I bet he thought you were going to pull out a whip."

"Not for another few weeks," Kim joked.

"Merlin, help him."

"At least he's trying now," Kim said jovially. "We'll get it right eventually."

Natasha raised a brow. "Sounds to me like someone's in love." For the first time in a long time, Nat saw her friend blush. "So where is your prince this morning?"

"He had to leave early," Kim replied with a sigh, the thought of her boyfriend making her feel blissful. "He's working overtime at the lab today."

"All day?"

"No, only `til one," Kim said.

"Is he coming over later?" Natasha grinned.

"After he's finished work," Kim replied. "Then he's taking me out for dinner."

"So romantic," Natasha said, wishing Dean was more like that.

Kim knew what her friend was thinking. "He'll come around, Nat," she told her encouragingly.

Natasha prayed her friend was right.

JOMT

Harry paced around his living room under the watchful eyes of Draco and Remus, whilst Hermione sat on the settee, also watching him closely. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying earlier, and she was using the tissue that was now clutched in her hand to wipe away the sporadic tear that fell from her eyes. She had to admit, she was pleasantly surprised by Harry's reaction to this news. He didn't explode with the usual anger he vented when confronted with circumstances like these. She was sure that his initial reaction had been halted due to her running to the bathroom and vomiting ferociously. His first concern had been her, which made her heart warm, and he'd seemed to have forgotten to fly into a rage.

Harry continued to pace up and down; he once said that moving around helped him think better. Moments later, it was as if he felt a light bulb appear over his head. He stopped in his tracks and raised his hands in the air, extending both index fingers.

Draco eyed his partner curiously. "Harry?"

"Neville," Harry said in an obvious like tone. He couldn't believe he didn't think of his friend before.

Remus looked confused. "Harry?"

Harry turned to Hermione. "Neville; he worked with Steven. He was the one who introduced the two of you."

"How would Neville be able to help?" Hermione sniffed.

"Maybe he knows someone at work who might be able to provide us with some sort of background," Harry replied. "Someone there must know something about him."

"Good Harry, that's our first port of call. What about you Hermione?" Remus asked her gently. "Is there anything you can tell us that might lead us somewhere?"

"No," Hermione shook her head, "Steven always kept to himself. He never involved me in anything he did. I was an ornament to him, that's all. The only thing he ever really talked about was his research at work. He never talked about anything else."

Harry's heart constricted as he thought of what Hermione must have gone through when she was with that snake. He really wanted to get his hands on the bastard and make him pay for even thinking of fucking with them.

"I'm sure Neville's at work today," Draco said, disturbing Harry's thoughts. "We could go see him now."

"You're right," Remus nodded in agreement. "Let's go."

Draco turned to Harry. "Come on, the sooner we get there--"

"I'm not going," Harry cut him off as if the idea was absurd.

"But we need you, Harry," Draco said.

"I will not leave Hermione," Harry stated flatly. "I'm sorry, but you'll have to investigate this without me."

Hermione looked at him adoringly. Different reactions to intense situations were becoming a common occurrence around the place today. For once, she didn't jump into a tirade about how she was perfectly capable of looking after herself, which she still believed to be right; she just wanted Harry there with her right now. In all honestly, she was scared about this whole thing. Steven had clearly lost his marbles if it was true that he'd killed a man, and she didn't want to be alone when there was a chance that he'd come after her and Harry next. Hermione tried to reason that Steven wouldn't be that stupid, but she wasn't so sure anymore.

Remus put a hand on Harry's shoulder. "That's perfectly understandable."

"I'm sorry, Harry," Draco apologised, "I didn't even think."

Harry waved his hand. "It's okay. Look, feedback to me what you find out and I'll do my best to sift through whatever you manage to get your hands on. I can work from here, and when Hermione's at the bookstore, I can work from there."

Remus patted his arm. "We'll get back to you as soon as we find anything out."

Harry nodded and the other two aurors disapparated, leaving him and Hermione alone. He went and sat down next to his fiancée, his arm going around her shoulders to soothe her. "Everything's going to be okay," he said softly.

Hermione leant into him. "I have to say, you're being frighteningly calm about this," she sniffed. "Not that I think that's a bad thing."

Harry angled his head to meet her eyes. "Oh I'm angry, Hermione. I'm fucking seething," he said in a deadly calm voice. "But you're the most important thing in my life, and I won't put you through any more of my outbursts if I can help it. It wouldn't be good for you or the baby."

"Don't tell me you're finally growing up," she joked.

Harry nuzzled her nose with his. "Cheeky."

Hermione then went serious, "are you not worried about this at all?"

Harry snorted. "I'm concerned, that I'll admit. But nothing, and I mean nothing, is going to happen to either of you, I promise. You don't have to worry about a thing."

Hermione smiled, convinced, and snuggled further into him. She was troubled by what was going on, but she believed Harry when he said that he wouldn't let anything happen to her or their unborn child. He promised her that. And Hermione Granger knew that there was one thing Harry Potter never did for as long as she had known him, and that was make promises that he didn't know he could keep.

JOMT

-->