Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just One More Thing by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just One More Thing

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

AN: Another update for you. It's shorter than usual but I wanted to give you something seeing as how it's been a while. Hope you like.

Just One More Thing

Chapter 29

****

The next morning after much of Harry's pleading, Hermione owled in to St Mungo's to let them know that she wouldn't be in yet again, not that she felt guilty about it after all the double shifts she had put in over the past few years. It was Wednesday, which meant that it was only two days till her and Harry could finally share their news with their friends, she would never know how she managed to keep her excitement in. But thankfully, the week was going quick seeing as how it had been pretty eventful so far.

After last night though, she couldn't help but wonder what Harry was planning for today. It was amazing that even after she was told that that slime ball Steven was trying his best to disturb their happiness, Hermione was still floating with happiness and exhilaration. Hermione Granger loved trying to work things out, but so far, she couldn't quite guess what Harry was up to. Maybe she had thought about it already, but wouldn't find out until later whether she was right or not. The only thing that was really throwing her off was when he said she might be angry with him at first, but would love him for it later.

"Stop it," an amused voice disturbed her thoughts.

Hermione shook her head and immediately came out of her reverie. She and Harry were sitting at the table having breakfast when she had suddenly gone off into space as he read the paper. "Sorry?"

"You're doing it again."

"Doing what?" she asked, trying her best to sound innocent.

"You're trying to guess," Harry said putting his paper aside.

"No I wasn't," she fibbed.

"Please stop," Harry smiled. "I'd be gutted if you figured out before I had the chance to surprise you."

Hermione quickly shook her head from side to side. "Yeah, yeah, alright."

"Thank you," he said, and then tucked into his scrambled eggs.

Hermione sipped her tea, peering over the cup at the wizard in front of her. She needed to get something out before he left for work, and hoped he would be angry at her for it. "So, are you ready for today?" Harry was still chewing his food so chose to look her at her with slight confusion. "You know, if by some chance you end up seeing...him." Harry's expression surprisingly didn't change to anger as Hermione was expecting. He swallowed what was in his mouth and just nodded. "Can you just promise me that you'll do your best to keep your cool, no matter how hard that might be?"

"I promise," he said softly. "Trust me Hermione, I'm not about to risk a life without you two for a fleeting pleasure I'd get from sticking a wand between his eyes."

"See," Hermione made a quick gesture towards him with her hand. "Happy thoughts."

Harry laughed and went back to eating his food, unbeknownst that Hermione was looking at him as if he was the cutest thing on earth. Her body had gone all tingly when he had referred to her and their baby as `you two'. She placed an arm over stomach and a hand to her chin; it wasn't long though before he noticed her gazing at him. "What?" he asked with a smile.

"Nothing, nothing," Hermione waved it off as not important. She stood and picked up her plate which she had had half a grapefruit on, and started to go in the direction of the kitchen when she stopped suddenly. She laughed inside at her craziness for not getting rid of the dish first, but she had to do it that very second. Hermione turned and went over to where Harry was still eating. As she got closer he looked up from his plate, and then smiled when he felt her lips on his forehead. "I love you," she told him gently.

"I love you, too," he replied sweetly, as he briefly stroked her back.

She caressed his face and then went to put her dish in the sink, leaving Harry to watch her in pleasant surprise, a tender smile gracing his features.

****

Harry got to work feeling a mixture of emotions. He was relaxed after his morning with Hermione, who always made him feel at ease no matter how bad things seemed, excited about meeting her at dinner and springing his surprise at her, but angry at the prospect of coming face to face with Steven. As soon as Harry arrived at the ministry he went to find Remus. After being taken off of the case involving Steven, he and Draco needed to be reassigned. He wasn't surprised to find Remus's office empty; the older wizard had already been and gone that morning. "Oh well," he thought "He's probably gone to bring in dick weed."

Harry thought he'd take the spare time that he currently had waiting for Remus to show up, to go and drop in on Arthur Weasley, the Minister of Magic. Harry made his way to Arthur's office and came face to face with the minister's assistant, who also happened to be a girl he once dated. Jayne Lewiston was sat at her desk outside the minister's office, waiting patiently to greet anyone who had business with Arthur. Harry didn't know what to expect, but he would swear that her eyes narrowed slightly when she noticed him approach. He didn't go to Arthur's side of the building often, the woman in front of him being the main reason. Harry went out with her a few times but it was never going to be anything serious, not when he was crazy about Hermione. Jayne, however, thought that a few dates equalled a relationship. She took it quite badly after he told her that they would never work out, that he was in love someone else and that was never going to change. Maybe he could have handled things better than he did, and by the look he was receiving now, he knew that ignoring her completely was a cowardly way to go. Harry hated to admit it, but he had used her for company when Hermione had started dating Steven, and possibly gave her false hope about what could happen between them. She had every right to be a little upset about it.

"Hi," he said in a strangled voice.

"Auror Potter," she responded dryly. It was clear she was in no mood for chit chat.

"Is erm...Arthur in?" he asked.

"He's with Draco Malfoy at the moment," she replied very business like.

Harry stood silent for a moment not quite knowing what to say. "You're never going to forgive me are you?"

"Would you, forgive you?" she asked scarily calm.

"Not at first," he shook his head.

Jayne snorted and stared at him coldly. "So, how is Hermione?"

Harry's eyes narrowed. "She's fine."

"I read about your happy news in the paper," she almost spat. "Though, I should have known about it before. But wait that would mean you actually having to be honest with me wouldn't it? That and it's not like I've seen you since you ended it so abruptly."

"Jay, there was nothing to end and you know it," Harry told her serenely. "I admit it was in poor taste on my part to continue going out with you after I found out how you felt, but I told you from the start that I was in love with someone else. Did you really expect my feelings to just go away?"

Jayne's face softened somewhat, he was telling the truth. Harry had told her from the beginning that nothing could come from them going out together, that he was incredibly lonely at that time in his life due to what he thought was unrequited love, and just wanted some company. They had shared a few dinners and some nights out that had resulted in some heated snogs, but nothing more.

"Why her?" Jayne asked in scornful confusion.

Harry immediately noticed the mocking tone in her voice and flinched. It was something that he hated, especially when it was aimed at Hermione. He leaned over her desk a little and eyed her frostily. "Why not her?" he asked dangerously.

"You could have anyone you want," Jayne replied, not put off by his intimidation.

"I have the one I want," Harry stated flatly. "Now would you please let Arthur know that I'm here?"

Whatever apology Jayne thought she might get out of him was long forgotten. She pressed a button at the side of her desk not once breaking eye contact with the wizard in front of her.

"Yes Jayne," Arthur's voice came through a speaker.

"Auror Potter here to see you," she said frigidly.

"Send him in," Arthur said happily, ignoring his assistants tone.

Harry stared at Jayne coldly one last time then entered Arthur's office, no more words spoken between the two.

****

Harry entered Arthur's office and found Draco sitting in one of the chairs opposite the minister.

"Harry, come in and sit down," Arthur said cheerily.

"What's going on?" Harry asked taking a set next to Draco.

"Remus and Kingsley have gone to get, Steven," Draco replied.

"Good," Harry said tonelessly.

Arthur cleared his throat. "Harry, I know that being taken off the case has come as a bit of a kick in the teeth to you, but you must know that I..."

"Please," Harry interrupted. "I know it was for the best, now."

"You and Draco of course can be in the conjoining room when he is being questioned, Remus already suggested that. It is imperative to have you both to hand seeing as you were that ones dealing with it to begin with."

"See," Draco said happily. "Least we'll be able to see the git squirm."

"But," Arthur added. "Both of you are to remain in that room no matter how much Mr Atkins words may cut. Is that understood?"

Harry knew that the whole sentence had been for him more than Draco, but both of them nodded anyway. "Of course."

"They're taking him to room 16 when they arrive," Arthur informed them. "Best behaviour please gentlemen."

****

Harry and Draco stood in the darkened room, closely to the glass screen which separated them from the interview room. It was one of those clever mirrors. They could see the suspect, but all the suspect would be able to see from the other side would be their own reflection. They would also be able to say whatever they wanted without being heard. Both were sipping the complementary coffee provided to employees by the ministry, as they waited for Steven to be brought in. They had only been waiting a few minutes, when the door opened in the room opposite the one they were currently occupying. Harry watched closely as Kingsley came into view, followed by the man who made his blood boil.

Steven entered with a smug look plastered on his features, followed by Remus who shut the door behind him.

Kingsley sat down at the lone desk that was in the room. "Take a seat Mr Atkins, please."

Steven slowly pulled out the chair and sat down, the folded his arms and looked bored out of his mind. Remus remained standing and didn't take his eyes from Steven.

"For the record, will you please state your full name?" Kingsley requested firmly.

"Steven John Atkins," came back the reply.

"Address?"

"18 Queens Gardens, Bayswater, London."

"Thank you," Kingsley said, and then leaned back in his chair. "Do you know why you're here, Mr Atkins?"

"I haven't the foggiest," Steven shrugged.

"We have reason to believe that you're behind a blackmail campaign against one of our aurors, and someone close to him," Kingsley stated.

Steven didn't flinch. "And?"

"Is there anything that you would like to tell us about that?"

"It doesn't sound like something I'd do," Steven said. He glanced slightly at the mirror on the far wall and grinned inwardly. Harry, who was watching his every move from the other side, stared into Steven's eyes with pure hatred. The bastard knew he was being watching by him.

"Have you ever met Harry Potter, Mr Atkins?" Remus asked, of course already knowing the answer.

"Yes, a couple of times," Steven answered with immediate distaste, looking back at Kingsley. "But I don't know that much about him nor would I want to."

"Got something against him have you?" Kingsley challenged.

"I choose not to like the man," Steven said. "I feel I have the freedom to dislike anyone I please, just like anyone else."

"What about Hermione Granger?" Remus asked. "She was your fiancée at one time, was she not?"

Steven once again glanced at the mirror in the room and grinned evilly. "Oh yes, I know her. Very well."

Harry clenched his fists tightly, an action that was immediately noticed by Draco.

"Calm down," Draco said firmly. "He knows you're watching and will do anything to make you burst in there like a madman."

Harry nodded know his partner was right and took some calming breaths.

Across from him in the other room, Steven smiled at Remus. "What is it you would like to know about her?"

"Why did your relationship end?" Kingsley asked.

"Because, we made the mistake of basing it on something other than...love."

Remus eyed Steven dangerously; the man was lying through his teeth. "What does that mean?"

"Let's just say it was more of a physical nature," Steven lied blatantly.

"That doesn't sound like the Hermione I know," Remus said.

Steven raised an eyebrow. "Are you making this personal auror Lupin? I had no idea that you were so close. I do understand however how she can make a man feel. Tell me, do ever visualise what would you would do to her if you ever had the chance? Maybe bring her into a room such as this, bend her over a desk and fuck her into oblivion? I know I do."

Remus glimpsed at the mirror worriedly. On the other side, Harry made a move for the door but was forcefully pushed back by Draco. "Calm the fuck down!"

"Well how much more of this shit do I have to take?!!"

"You go in there and you play right into his hands! You'll be giving him exactly what he wants! Just think about Hermione!!"

At the mention of her name Harry calmed a little, though, his heart was still beating so fast he was scared it would come out of his chest.

Remus glared at Steven, only being able to imagine what was going on in Harry's head on the other side of the room. "You watch your mouth."

"Touch a nerve?" Steven goaded. "Oh I forgot, Potter's the one who's been bending her over desks lately."

"You seem to be very resentful of the two of them," Kingsley pointed out. "It appears as though you think Harry somehow stole her from you."

"He did!" Steven spat.

Remus raised a brow. "Just a second ago you made it sound as though it was a relationship based on sex that just fizzled out."

Steven looked temporarily like a deer caught in the headlights. "It was both."

Kingsley sighed and threw a picture on the desk in front of Steven. "Do you know who this is?"

Steven quickly looked at the picture and shook his head. "No."

"His name is Geoffrey Caldwell," Remus said.

"That's fascinating," Steven retorted.

"Well he seems to know you pretty well," Remus told him. "He also told us you hired him for a job."

"And just what would I have hired him for?" Steven asked.

"Oh I don't know," Remus said quickly. "Maybe so that you could get something on a couple of people who you feel did you over? That's what most people go to him for."

"Let me see if I can crack the code," Steven said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Poor Harry and Hermione are the ones being blackmailed, and you think I'm the one responsible for it? Am I getting warm?"

"Are you?" Remus asked.

"No."

"I don't believe you," Remus said.

"If only that was important," Steven sniggered.

Kingsley had decided that enough was enough. He stood up slowly then levelled his gaze at Steven. "Steven Atkins, you are being charged with extortion, violation of code 733."

Steven just grinned. "Can I pay my fine by check?"

Harry grinded his teeth together in an attempt to calm himself down as he watched from the other room. It was what he was expecting, it wasn't as if Steven had killed anyone, he was going to get away with it, but he hated that the bastard was being so smug.

Remus got closer to Steven. "You mean your bail?"

Steven looked confused. "Bail?"

Remus smiled. "You don't think we're just going to let you walk out of here with a slapped wrist and a fine do you?"

Harry and Draco glanced at each other in confusion; they also had trouble understanding what was going on.

Kingsley spoke next. "He obviously isn't aware of rule 3072, Remus."

Steven gulped, the smug smile long gone. "3072?"

"You see, you didn't just try and extort some random stranger on the street," Remus told him. "You tried to extort an auror, a very respected auror. The ministry of magic frowns upon that, it's almost as if you've committed some sort of treason. What's the sentence for it these days, Kingsley?"

"Carries a minimum of five years if convicted," Kingsley answered.

"You can't punish people differently for the same crime based on who it's against," Steven said outraged. "You just can't do that!"

"I assure you we can," Kingsley said. Steven stared at him in disbelief; he was beginning to feel scared, much to the enjoyment of the two aurors in the room with him, and the other two hiding behind the glass.

"Sucks don't it?" Remus said with a smirk.

"Bail set at 5000 galleons," Kingsley said firmly, earning a deathly glare from Steven. "Upon receiving bail you're free to go, for now."

Steven stood up. "You won't get away with this."

Kingsley ignored the comment. "You're also ordered to stay a minimum of 1000 meters away from both Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. Any violation of this restraining order will result in you being bought back here and immediately being imprisoned up and until the date that your hearing can be arranged. Is that understood? " There was silence. "I asked you a question."

"Yes," Steven replied reluctantly.

"Remus, I'll escort Mr Atkins out," Kingsley said, and started leading Steven to the door.

Remus nodded and glared at the man who'd been making Harry and Hermione's life difficult. "Be sure not to disappear."

Steven looked past Remus towards the mirror one last time, before being taken out of the room by Kingsley. When the door shut Harry and Draco burst into the room. "What the hell was that?" Harry asked.

"That, Harry was Steven Atkins being bought up on charges," Remus said simply.

"How come Harry and I didn't know about rule 3072?" Draco asked. "We thought he'd get away with it."

"You both know how many rules and codes exist in the ministry, and when you've been here for as long as Kingsley and I, you'll be shocked to find out what you can do wizards for."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Harry asked.

"What and ruin the surprise?" Remus joked. "Never. I told you Harry, he'll get his."

Draco and Harry looked at him gone out. Steven would get his comeuppance after all it seemed.

****

Hermione glanced at her watch for the third time in five minutes; it had just gone 12.15pm. Harry had told her to be ready for 12.00pm and that he would pick her up. Just as she was about to contact his office at the ministry to see what was keeping him, Harry came through the door.

"I was about to give up on you," Hermione said smiling. She noticed a strange look on her fiancé's face and got closer to him. "What's with you?"

"Steven was charged with extortion today," Harry said with a smile. Hermione didn't seem surprised, it was what they expected. "Hermione, he could go to prison for five years for this."

Hermione gasped. "H-how...I thought all he'd get is a fine and warning?"

"Turns out trying to extort an auror is like a million times worse then extorting anyone else," Harry explained.

"But that seems so unfair."

"I know," Harry nodded. "Sucks don't it?"

"You actually managed to stay calm," Hermione stated. It wasn't a question.

"I did."

"I'm proud of you," Hermione wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him gently. "It's wonderful news. We might finally get that idiot out of our lives for good."

Harry took a deep breath and smiled at her. "You know what? I'm sick of talking about him now," Harry said kissing her forehead. "It's surprise time for you beautiful."

"Oh ok," Hermione tried not appear too excited, but failed. "So, where is this surprise?"

"Diagon Alley," he answered simply.

"Diagon Alley?" Hermione repeated confused.

Harry ignored her puzzled look and gently grasped her hand. "Come on lets get going."

Hermione allowed him to pull her out of the door. She had no idea what she was in for.

****

Until next time faithful readers.

-->