Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Well you all asked for it and you got it! Here's the first chapter to the Dirty Dancing sequel!

Be patient with us please- we're both working on our other stories as well as this so updates may not be as fast as you all would like them to be, at least not at first.

There will also be no contest for this story- finding a song for each chapter can prove difficult and time consuming.

Anyways… please read, review, and most of all, enjoy!!

Hermione carried in a box of books and dropped it heavily in the new living room. "Lavender, honestly, I know it's hot but you agreed to help!" her cousin had been sitting in the living room for the past half hour, drinking all their cold pumpkin juice while painting her nails.

Lavender held up her right hand and blew on her wet nails. "As soon as these are dry, I'm all yours. I promise." She looked up at Hermione and her nose crinkled up. "Don't take this the wrong way, but you look horrible."

Hermione put her hands on her hips. "That's because I'm WORKING," she snapped.

Lavender rolled her eyes and stared back at Hermione indignantly. "I've helped. I held the door for Harry and your dad when they brought in the mattress."

"Ugh!" Hermione flung her hands into the air and stomped out of the room, running directly into her father and Harry.

"What's wrong?" Robert asked, clearly knowing what Hermione was angry about and was quite amused.

"Did she finish her toes yet?" Harry asked with a laugh. "She was putting on her second coat I believe when we came up with the bookshelves."

"Yes, she's finished her bloody toes and now she's on her bloody fingers. I'm going to bloody her face if she doesn't start doing SOMETHING SOON!" Hermione finished with a shout.

"Well, at least she's not as bad as Ron," Harry said. "He left nearly an hour and a half ago to get everyone some lunch, right? We'll be lucky to see him before dark if past history is any indication."

Hermione sighed, sagging against the wall. "We're never going to get this finished are we?" she asked.

"Now, now," Robert patted his daughter's shoulder. "We've gotten more than we would if we moved you in the Muggle way," he smiled.

Harry looked at Hermione and fought the urge to wrap her in his arms and tell her everything would be okay. Truth be told, he was still a little wary of showing affection toward her in front of her father. So he just winked at her and gave her what he hoped was a reassuring smile.

Hermione sighed again, understanding what Harry was thinking. "Well we'd best get back to it," she brushed past her father, who sent Harry a smile.

"When she gets stressed she tends to get angry easily," Robert said. "She's not mad at you or anything."

Harry still couldn't get over what a difference a few weeks had made. If someone had asked him over a month ago if Robert Granger would actually be helping Harry and Hermione move in together, Harry would have laughed in their face. Not knowing what else to say, he just nodded.

"I guess we should get back downstairs then?" he asked, looking at Robert.

Robert nodded, clapping the younger man's shoulder. "When does your training begin, Harry?" he asked.

"Next week," Harry said following Robert down the stairs. "I can't wait to get started."

"Sounds like quite a profession," they both hoisted up the bed frame that Harry and Hermione had picked out.

"That goes in the bedroom!" Hermione called loudly. "Lavender will you PLEASE GET UP AND HELP?"

"Can't," Lavender called out apologetically. "I didn't like the way that one colour dried on my fingers."

Elinore quickly put a hand on Hermione's arm. "Hermione, sweetheart… Maybe, you should take a break. You've been going non stop since we starting this morning. In fact, I think we all should take a break."

She looked over at Harry. "Where's that nice young man that left to get the food?"

"Uh... he's probably eating it as we speak," Harry said. "Ron's not known for his small appetite."

Hermione raked her hands through her hair. "And we don't' have enough food here yet for everyone!" she wailed.

"We're out of drinks, too," Lavender pointed out from her perch on the floor. "You really should have bought more, Hermione."

She must have looked like she was going to murder her cousin because Harry pulled her away. "How about we go down to The Leaky Cauldron and bring something back for everyone?" he asked.

"Did you hear what she just said?" Hermione hissed angrily to Harry. "I can't believe she has the nerve to say that when we've all been working our arses off and she's been up here acting like the mistress of the manor."

"Come on," Harry pulled her cloak on for her as they left their new house. "Let's take a walk and you can cool down. Today hasn't gone that badly."

"Okay," she relented taking his hand. "I'm sorry for getting so angry. I should have known better to ask Lavender to help. We might be closer now than we were before the holiday started but she's still same old Lavender."

Harry pulled her close as they walked down the alley together. The cottage Harry had found for them was in a new area of Diagon Alley called Horizon Alley. "It's all right," he said, his tone still soothing.

Hermione felt her anger ebbing away just being alone with Harry and away from the unorganized mess back at the cottage. "You and my dad sure have been chummy," she said grinning at him.

Harry grinned back. "That we have," he agreed. "He's a great guy."

"I told you so," she said pointedly. "I knew once he got used to the idea of our moving in together he'd be fine. Of course, Mum telling him that you and I would have separate bedrooms probably helped."

"That's what he thinks anyway," Harry kissed the side of her head. "I don't know how he believes it."

Hermione giggled. "You mean we're not going to have separate bedrooms?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "What do you think Hermione Jane?"

"I'm thinking how I can't wait until everyone's gone and we have our new home all to ourselves," she said mischievously.

Harry hugged her. "I'm in agreement with you there," he said. The whole day, every time he'd tried to corner Hermione for a kiss, Robert or Elinore had managed to walk in unknowing as to what their daughter and Harry were up to.

She laughed as he wrapped his arms tightly around her. "Merlin, Harry! You stink!"

"You don't smell like a rose blossom either Hermione," he replied. "Guess this means we'll have to shower together later." Harry said wickedly.

Hermione was about to lean in for a kiss when she heard the door to The Leaky Cauldron open and saw Ron Weasley staring back at them.

"Hey, you guys," he said sheepishly.

Harry glared at his best friend. "Where the bloody fuck have you been Weasley?" he asked angrily.

"Getting lunch, of course," Ron replied, avoiding Harry's gaze.

"For..." Harry looked at his watch. "We sent you two hours ago!"

"I got a little sidetracked," Ron admitted, looking to Hermione for help, but to his dismay, she was staring angrily back at him too. "Come on, Harry. You know how it is. I was just talking to Tom about the latest Cannons game."

Hermione shook her head and stomped inside, while Harry still glared at Ron. "Look..." he began testily. "It's been a really rough day on all of us. Lavender isn't helping, Hermione's angry because we don't have enough done, and I'm just trying to cheer her up all right? Go back to the house. We'll get the food."

"Okay," Ron said, nodding. "Harry, I really am sorry. Luna said she'd come by when she gets through at The Quibbler."

"Fine," Harry was still short as he walked in. He saw Hermione by the bar talking to Tom. He slid his hands over her waist and smiled at the older man. "How are you Tom?" he asked.

"Harry Potter!" Tom said warmly to him. "As I live and breathe. I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth. It's been much too long."

"Too right you are," Harry replied. "I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Hermione Granger. We're just moving in down over in Horizon Alley and thought we'd drop in for some food."

"Are you really?" Tom asked, looking from Harry to Hermione. "Well, it's lovely to meet you, Hermione. You do realize that you'll have your hands full with this one, don't you?"

Hermione laughed. "I think I can handle him."

Harry nudged her side. "Thanks a lot," he pretended to be indignant.

Tom winked conspiratorially at Hermione. "Tell you what, he gives you any trouble, just let me know. We'll sort him out for you."

Hermione nodded. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Well, in honour of your first night in your new home, how about lunch on the house?" Tom asked with a smile.

"That's nice of you Tom, thank you," Harry smiled. "But we'll need it for a full house of people... maybe we should leave Lavender out of it though?" he teased Hermione.

"As tempting as that is, I know her. We'd better get something for her, too, or risk hearing about it the rest of the day," she said.

They ordered enough food, only letting Tom give them their lunches free and paying for the rest then headed back towards their new house. "Wait a minute," Harry said, setting down their bags.

"What?" Hermione asked pulling a confused face. "Did we forget something?"

"Just this," he pulled her close quickly and kissed her quite passionately.

A few moments later, they pulled breathlessly away from each other and Hermione forgot all about the move, Lavender's laziness and all the mess that waited for them when they got back. "Wow," she whispered as his forehead rested on hers.

"I know," Harry stroked her cheek. "We'll get it all together all right?"

She nodded. "I still can't believe we're here and this is actually happening."

"I know," Harry hugged her tightly. "I love you," he said softly in her ear.

"I love you," she said, grinning at him as he let go of her and bent down to pick the bags up again.

*** *** ***

The long hard day was finally coming to an end and everyone cheered when the last box was brought inside. All that was really left was for Hermione and Harry to sort through everything, but everyone was too knackered to do anything else.

Luna had only managed to stop by for an hour as she had to attend a press conference. Lavender, who hadn't been much help at all, had left nearly two hours ago for a late supper with Seamus.

Hermione and Harry were anxious to be alone, but they didn't want to appear rude especially in front of her parents. Ron was happily munching a bag of crisps on the sofa and Hermione exchanged another longing look at Harry.

Elinore patted her husband's knee. "We should really get going. I've got early appointments tomorrow and I don't want to fall asleep with the drill on."

Robert nodded. He got to his feet, but looked at his daughter with concern. "Are you sure you wouldn't be more comfortable at home, Hermione? I mean, at least, until you've sorted everything out."

Hermione stood up. "No Dad, trust me I'm perfectly fine here. Remember? Big girl now," she smiled tiredly at her father.

Robert laughed and hugged her. "I keep forgetting that, don't I?"

"Yes," Hermione pecked her father on the cheek then turned to her mother while Harry got up and shook Robert's hand.

"You take good care of my girl, okay?" Robert said sternly. He still wasn't too happy about Hermione moving in with Harry, but he knew that this was what she wanted. He'd nearly lost her this summer and he didn't want to take that chance again. Besides, the more he came to know Harry, the more he liked him.

"I will sir," Harry said nervously. "I hope you'll stop by again soon."

Hermione left to lead her parents out of Diagon Alley and Harry sat back down on the sofa. "Aren't you tired Ron?" he asked pointedly.

"No," Ron said, shaking his head. "Actually, I feel as if I'm getting my second wind." He offered his bag of crisps to Harry, who shook his head. "To tell you the truth, I'm not in any hurry to get home. Mum's still crying about Ginny moving in with that git Malfoy. And apparently it's all my fault somehow."

"Why is that your fault?" Harry asked, letting his head fall back on the arm of the sofa. "You didn't make Ginny do anything she didn't want to do." he still felt a wave of disgust when he thought about the girl.

Ron shrugged. "I was supposed to look after Ginny, Harry. She was my responsibility and I didn't take it too seriously. Now, Ginny's turned her back on the whole family. I can't help feeling as if it was my fault, Harry."

Harry sat up straight. "Ron... you weren't RESPONSIBLE for her. Ginny's old enough to make her own decisions and she did. Obviously it wasn't the right one." He sat back again. "Do you want me to go to your mum and talk to her about it?"

Ron shook his head. "She wouldn't listen. We've all tried to talk to her, but you know how she's always been about Ginny. Dad says we should just let Mum grieve, as it were, and eventually things will get better."

Harry nodded as he heard the front door open and close and moments later Hermione appeared. "Merlin I'm knackered," she sighed, flopping down next to Harry and curling up next to him.

"Not me," Ron said, leaning back on the sofa. He looked around the room, which was still cluttered with boxes. "You two sure do have your work cut out for you with this lot."

"Thanks Ron," Harry said sarcastically. "We're really looking forward to going to bed right about now," he hinted not so subtly.

Ron got to his feet and Hermione looked triumphantly at Harry, but to her horror, Ron didn't head for the door, but toward the kitchen. "Hey, Hermione? Your daft cousin didn't drink all the pumpkin juice, did she?" he called to her.

"I think she did," Hermione answered. "Maybe you can bring some more over tomorrow?" she said pointedly.

"Found some soda!" Ron called out.

"He's not going to go quietly, is he?" Hermione whispered to Harry.

"No," Harry groaned as he got up. "Hey Ron? We're going to bed," he emphasized his last words.

"Now?" Ron asked. "It's much too early. I was thinking we could play a game of chess or Exploding Snap?"

"Maybe Luna would like to do that," Harry had grabbed Ron's arm and to Hermione's amusement was pulling him into the hallway.

"Harry," Ron said with a laugh. "You know Luna hates both those games. Hey, if I didn't know better I'd think you were trying to get rid of me."

"Then I guess you don't know better," Harry opened the front door.

"So it's like that, is it?" Ron asked indignantly. "You're going to forsake your best friend so you can shag your girlfriend is that it?"

Harry looked past Ron in horror as Robert Granger was staring back at him, obviously having heard everything they'd both just said.

"Elinore forgot her mobile," Robert said quietly.

"Er..." Harry said. "He meant shag rug. Hermione was talking about getting a shag rug and I was trying to talk her out of it."

Robert folded his arms. He didn't look the least bit convinced.

Ron turned around and one look at the foreboding look in Dr. Granger's eyes made him suddenly want to get home as fast as he could. "Must run, Harry," he said quickly. "Give Hermione my regards."

Harry glared at his best friend as he apparated away with a pop. He stared down at the ground, almost too ashamed to meet Robert's gaze.

"Do you mind if I go inside to get my wife's mobile?" Robert asked coolly.

Harry stepped aside as Robert swept past him. He heard Hermione ask what her father was doing there and a moment later the man was striding back down the hallway. "Robert?" he asked as the man was almost out the door.

Robert turned slowly around. "Yes?"

"I love Hermione," Harry said, closing the front door behind him. "I love her more than anything else in the world. I know you're concerned about her well being and trust me, that's my first concern as well."

Robert nodded. "I know you do, Harry. I'm not an idiot. I know that you and my daughter are...that you and my daughter are..."

"I don't want you to be angry with me over that," Harry interrupted, his arms crossed. "I respect Hermione very much. I want you to know that."

"I do," Robert said. "It's no secret that this hasn't exactly been easy on me. She's my only child, Harry. It's been hard to let go. The only thing I've ever wanted for her was for her to be happy."

He stopped speaking and looked earnestly at Harry before continuing. "You make her happy. And that's good enough for me."

He extended his hand toward Harry.

Harry shook it as a smile spread across his face. "Thank you sir," he said.

"Good night," Robert said with a smile.

"Good night," Harry called. He went inside and locked the door, muttering several charms to keep the bolts in place. "Ahh..." he collapsed on the sofa and grinned. "Finally alone," he said.

"Is everything okay?" Hermione asked, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Everything's great," Harry pulled her over so she was straddling him.

"You know what would make it even better?" she asked teasingly, tugging at his t-shirt.

"I do," Harry helped her lift it over his head.

Hermione tossed his shirt to the floor and grinned wickedly at him. "You're not too tired, are you?" she whispered into his ear.

"For this?" Harry smirked. "I'm sure I can pull a second wind together for it."

Hermione laughed softly and kissed him full on the mouth. "I still really can't believe this. Only one month ago we were clearing your name at Hillsdale and leaving, and then now we're here, living together and no one opposes to it!"

"It's fantastic," Harry agreed, tucking a few stray strands of hair behind her ear. "I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be right now."

"Me either," Hermione said. He brought her down to kiss her again, immediately using his tongue to jet into her mouth, tasting her while his hands pulled her grubby shirt over her head.

Several minutes later, he was clad in his boxers and her in her bra and knickers. "I love you," she whimpered as Harry rubbed his thumbs over her already erect nipples.

"I love you," he responded softly as he skilfully unclasped her bra, dropping it to the floor with their other things. His fingers tangled in her hair as they kissed again, Hermione rubbing her lower body over Harry's, effectively making him groan.

"Time to try out that bed," he hissed, her legs wrapping around his middle as he carried her upstairs.

Harry cracked open one eye to confront the blurry image of the alarm clock. He thumped it hard with his fist and grabbed his glasses off the nightstand. "Nine thirty," he mumbled, wondering why this morning felt so odd. One glance at the sleeping figure next to him told him why.

Hermione mumbled something unintelligible and turned over. "I'll go back to my cabin in a few minutes," she said sleepily. "Just want to be with you for a few more minutes."

Harry started to laugh. "What cabin?" he teased.

Hermione slowly opened her eyes and saw Harry staring at her with an amused expression on his face. "What are you laughing at?"

"We're home, remember?" Harry nuzzled her ear. "Not at the cabin. We can spend all morning in bed just like we talked about."

Realization dawned on her and she too began to laugh. "I could get used to this," she said huskily snuggling closer to him.

"We have as long as we want to get used to it," Harry drew his arms around her. She sighed and Harry felt like he could easily slip back into sleep, lying just like this.

"At least until next week when our real lives officially begin… I don't know what possessed me to sign up for classes at eight in the morning. And you already said that you have no idea what your hours will be like with training," she said.

"I should find out within the next couple of days," he replied. "I hope we'll at least have the same sort of schedule so we'll be able to see one another enough."

"You'll probably be sick of me by next week," Hermione teased. "I was an absolute horror yesterday, wasn't I?"

"It's all right," Harry chuckled. "Payback time for how rude I was to you."

"You weren't that bad," she said with a giggle.

"Maybe, maybe not," Harry pulled her over on top of him.

"Well, you saw the error of your ways," she said grinning down at him. "That's the important thing."

Harry squeezed her sides and she shrieked. "Funny Granger," he grinned.

He leaned in for a kiss, but Hermione turned her head at the last second so his lips met her cheek instead. When she saw the confused expression on his face, she laughed. "You have morning breath."

Harry smacked her behind. "Then get off me so I can brush my teeth. I want my morning snog."

"I have morning breath too," she said, following him out of bed and into the bathroom. She was suddenly hit again by how...nice this was...how normal it all seemed.

Harry turned the cold water on as he grabbed his toothbrush from the countertop. "We still have so much to do today," he said around a mouth full of paste. "I think Cho said she was going to stop by later, but I don't know how much she can do. She's already six months pregnant."

"She'd be an improvement over Lavender," Hermione said, pulling out her own toothbrush.

Harry laughed as he spat in the sink. "Speaking of Lavender, is the rest of your family coming back today or have they had enough of your attitude?" he teased.

"Very funny," she said, hitting his arm. "What about your friend Ron? Will he be making a return appearance? He could tell my dad more about what you and I do."

Harry shuddered. "That's the last thing I need your father to hear. I managed to cover it up last night..." he shook his head. "I think he and Luna are coming over later today."

Hermione nodded and took Harry's place at the sink and made quick work of brushing her own teeth. As she did so, she caught sight of her bed head in the mirror and winced.

"Do I always look like this in the morning? I can't believe I used to sneak out of your cabin looking like this. I'm lucky no one ever saw me. I'd give them quite a fright."

"I think you look gorgeous," Harry said truthfully.

"Love must be blind," she teased, walking over to him. "You may have your morning snog now."

Harry grinned and wasted no time in pulling his girlfriend to him, his mouth attacking hers. "This may be the only time we have for this all day," he murmured.

"Then we should make the best of it," she said breathlessly. "Don't you think?"

"To the bedroom we go," Harry pulled her out of the loo and back into bed.