Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: We both want to thank all of you for staying with us throughout this long, bumpy ride we sent Harry/Hermione, Seamus/Lavender, Ron/Luna and Neville/Cho on. This story originally was planned to only be eight chapters and it sort of took on a life of its own and ended up being forty-five chapters. We're not through with this universe yet, though. At the end of this chapter, you'll find another author's note that will let you know what we have in store next…

Again, thank you all for reading and reviewing!

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

Hermione's eyes widened as she realised his intentions. "Don't you touch me," she backed away.

"I'm going to do a lot more than touch you," he said as she managed to break from his grasp.

"Gordon," Hermione said shakily. "You don't want to do this."

He glared at her as he ran his hands through his hair. "I don't know how else to get through to you Hermione," he said in a completely calm voice.

"You don't want me that way," Hermione said, trying to reason with him and buy herself some time. She knew that Harry would be back. If she could just stall Gordon or put him off until then, everything would be okay. "This isn't you, Gordon. This isn't the same Gordon Devereaux I knew at Beauxbatons."

Gordon stopped a moment at her words. "You're right," he said a minute later. "I'm not the same. I've had people try and stop me from doing what I have to do. Everything I've EVER done has been for you Hermione, and you throw that back at me. You've been flaunting that fucking Potter at me since I saw you last year and I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!" he finished with a scream.

Hermione looked frantically around the room for some sort of weapon to use, but there was...nothing. "Gordon, please...you need help. I'll go with you to St. Mungo's. We could even go and see my dad. He'd be glad to help..."

Gordon grabbed her arm. "It's too late Hermione," he said. "You're going to be mine forever after tonight. We'll be so happy together. We'll move into the country somewhere and you'll forget all about these other people..." his grip tightened as she tried to pull away. "You're all mine already," he leaned in to kiss her.

She turned her head so at the last moment all he was able to kiss was her cheek. This only enraged him even more. Hermione struggled with every thing that she had to get free from the hold he had on her.

"You're not getting away," Gordon said through clenched teeth as he tore her jumper. He pushed her towards the bed. "You may as well accept it Hermione..."

"I'll never accept it," Hermione said hoarsely. "Never. I don't love you, Gordon. I never have and I NEVER WILL!"

"Yes you DO!" Gordon shouted, throwing her on the bed. He crawled on top of her, pawing at her as he tried to rip her clothes off her. "You have no choice here," he said, his face an inch from hers.

Hermione racked her brain for some way to get out of this. Time was running out and she accepted the fact that Harry wasn't going to make it in time. If she was going to get out of this, it would be up to her. "No," she said, her voice choking.

"Stop saying no!" Gordon snapped, holding her hands over her head.

"NO!" Hermione screamed out. She struggled to break free from his grasp, but he only held gripped tighter on her wrists.

"I love you Hermione," Gordon looked down at her. "Sooner or later you'll realise you love me too," he leaned down and this time she wasn't able to move her head out of the way before he kissed her hard on the mouth.

Her legs were now free as he tried to deepen the kiss, and Hermione seized her opportunity. She kneed him in the groin as hard as she could.

Gordon howled in pain and rolled off the side of the bed. "You fucking bitch!" he screamed as he reached out and slapped her hard across the face. "THAT IS NOT HOW YOU TREAT THE MAN YOU LOVE!"

"You're disgusting!" Hermione looked around frantically for some sort of weapon. "I DON'T LOVE YOU GORDON! I HATE YOU!"

Gordon scrambled to his feet and if he'd been angry before, he was absolutely enraged now. He had just managed to get a good grip on her arm when there was the sound of a loud noise downstairs, almost as if someone had broken the door down. In his haste to put the wards back up he reached into his pocket for his wand, but couldn't find it. He heard the sound of muffled voices getting closer and he reached out for Hermione.

Hermione hit out blindly at his face and she caught him right on his eye. "I told you to stay away!" she screamed.

"HERMIONE!" Harry called out.

"HARRY!" Hermione shouted, forgetting again that she was protected under the ward. "I'm in here!"

"That's her," Robert said following Harry. "I heard her!"

Gordon tried again to find his wand. Unbeknownst to Hermione he'd let the wards down when Potter and his friends had left and he needed to get them back in place before Potter saw.

Hermione saw his wand sitting under the suitcase that he'd thrown to the floor and she dived for it. She held it out against him, the wooden stick trembling in her hand.

"Give me that now!" Gordon said, reaching out for it.

Harry finally managed to make it to the bedroom and to his relief...he could actually see Hermione. She was holding a wand on Gordon and she had a few scrapes and bruises on her face. Her jumper was torn and Harry saw Gordon's belt on the floor. He looked from Hermione back to Gordon.

"Harry..." Hermione's knees buckled in relief.

"Did he try and...," Harry said angrily, his eyes trained on Gordon. "Did he..."

Hermione opened her mouth to answer him, but to her horror Harry let her go and rounded on Gordon.

"YOU SON OF A BITCH!" Harry yelled, his fist connecting with Gordon's nose.

Gordon's body slammed against the wall. "Damn you Potter," he hissed.

Gordon started to get up again, but Harry hit him again in the stomach, causing Gordon to double over in pain.

"Harry! No!" Hermione called out as Harry hit Gordon again.

"Going to take her away from me?" Harry asked through clenched teeth as he grabbed the other man by the neck. "Thought you'd be clever by hiding her under a masking charm?" his eyes were glowing brightly as the mirror across the room shattered and the lights flickered.

Gordon's face was bloodied and bruised, but he just sneered at Harry. "She'll always be mine, Potter."

"She'll never be yours you fucking psychopath," Harry glared at him.

Hermione turned as her father appeared in the doorway. "Daddy..." her eyes suddenly filled with tears.

"Dr. Granger," Gordon suddenly said as if he wasn't all bruised and battered; smiling at him. "How nice of you to come...Hermione and I wouldn't have dreamed of getting married without you here..."

Robert looked at him in disbelief and then looked at his daughter. "You took my daughter," Robert said angrily stepping closer to Gordon. "You took her away from her family and her friends and you....you..."

"I love her," Gordon said simply, tucking his shirt back into his trousers. "I love her more than he does!" He pointed accusingly at Harry.

"No one loves her more than I do," Harry said, his voice extremely tense. "You think your fixation is love. It's not love."

Gordon looked helplessly around the room. His eyes fell on Hermione as she tried to inch closer to Harry. Gordon reached for her, but something in Robert snapped and he drew back his fist and hit Gordon as hard as he could.

Harry took that moment to pull Hermione close to him and out of harm's way. "Stay back here," he said to her.

"Harry...," she said, tears flowing down her cheeks.

Harry turned as Gordon launched back off the floor and at Robert. Something inside him snapped and suddenly the lamp that had been on the bedside table flew through the air and smashed on the wall right behind Gordon's head.

Gordon cowered in the corner. "I didn't want to hurt her...I just wanted her to be with me...."

"She will never be with you," Harry said coldly. "Taking her away from the people she loves isn't the way to get someone to fall for you."

"YOU TOOK HER AWAY FROM ME!" Gordon shouted. "SHE WAS MINE!"

"I was NEVER yours!" Hermione said angrily from the doorway.

Gordon winced at her words and eased back against the wall, tears filling his eyes and he curled himself up into a ball, rocking back and forth. "She loves me...she loves me...she loves me..."

Harry, Robert and Hermione stared down at him in horror. "He's snapped..." Harry said. "He's gone mad..."

Despite what Gordon had done and what he had been about to do to her, Hermione felt badly for him as he sat and sobbed on the floor. Her father put his arm around her.

"Sweetheart," Robert said, hugging his daughter. "I didn't know if we'd ever see you again..."

"I didn't know either," Hermione wiped at her eyes.

Neville appeared in the doorway with Lupin in tow. He looked around the room at Hermione, who was hugging her father and Harry who was looking at Gordon.

"We'll be happy," Gordon was saying, nodding to himself. "We're going to be so happy. Never, never wanted to hurt her...she made me."

"We need to get out of here," Harry said coolly.

"We'll take him in," Lupin said. He put a hand on Hermione's shoulder. "Good to have you back, Hermione."

"Thank you," Hermione said softly. She allowed her father to lead her out of the room. "Harry?" she called back.

Harry followed her out and he was finally able to scoop her up in his arms like he'd wanted to when he'd first seen her. "I was so scared I'd lost you," he said, squeezing her tightly.

"You figured it out," she hugged him back as hard as she could.

He pulled away from her so he could look into her eyes and touch her cheek. Robert decided to give them a moment alone and he walked into the living room.

"Did he do this?" Harry asked, caressing her bruised cheek.

"Yes," Hermione looked down. "I hit him back."

"You hit him back?" Harry asked with a smile. "And that scar on his lip? You responsible for that, too?"

"He kissed me," Hermione shuddered at the memory. "The first night I was here. He tried to..." she shivered again. "So I bit him."

"That's my girl," Harry said, hugging her again. "I wanted to kill him...I still do."

"I can't believe he snapped," Hermione said. "Do you think he's just trying to fool us?"

"I don't know," Harry replied. "I just want to get you home and cleaned up. I don't want to think about him right now."

"He stole some of my clothes," Hermione looked into the room.

"I'll have Neville get them for you," he promised. "Let me take you home, sweetheart."

"Where did my dad go?" she asked.

"I think he wanted to give us some privacy," Harry said softly. "He and your mum and Lavender have all been so worried."

"I want to see them all," Hermione leaned against him. "Do you mind Harry?"

"Not at all," he said wrapping his arms around her. "We can do whatever you want. I'm just so happy to have you back."

"I'm happy you found me," Hermione buried her face in his shoulder.

"I'm happy he did, too," Robert said, coming back into the hallway.

"Daddy," Hermione flung herself at her father, who held her tightly.

"You gave us quite a scare," Robert said softly. "Your mother has been out of her mind with worry and your cousin. My sweet little girl..."

"Can we leave?" Hermione asked. "I really want to go home."

Robert nodded. "Let's get you home, then."

They passed by the room where Lupin and Neville had restrained Gordon and were waiting for other Ministry officials to show up. Hermione couldn't resist looking in one last time and Gordon caught sight of her.

"I'm sorry, Hermione," Gordon called out to her in anguish. "I'm sorry....never meant to hurt you."

Hermione stared at him and Harry tugged gently on her hand. "Just don't look at him love," he said softly.

Hermione nodded and followed him out of the flat, feeling drained but quite happy to be finally going home.

*** *** ***

No one spoke much on the way back to the Granger house and Hermione was supported on either side by her father and her fiancé. As they finally walked up the steps to the house, Robert smiled at his daughter. "Welcome home, sweetheart."

Hermione gave a weak smile. She was still somewhat in shock by the events that had transpired the last couple of days.

"Are you going to be all right?" Harry asked, his eyes anxiously searching her face.

Hermione looked thoughtfully at him. She wondered if she would be okay. If she'd ever feel safe again. If she hadn't been so trusting and naive, perhaps none of them would have had to face this. She'd tried to put on a brave face, but in reality she'd been scared. She didn't have a chance to answer him because her father opened the door and called out for her mother.

Elinore came rushing to the door and when she saw her daughter, she smiled the first smile she'd managed since Hermione disappeared. "Sweetheart!" Elinore enveloped her daughter in her arms. "Oh Hermione we've been so worried..."

Hermione started to cry again as she hugged her mother. "Mum..."

"Oh love," Elinore smoothed Hermione's hair back. "I'm so glad you're home safe." she kissed her daughter's forehead. Robert mustered up a smile as he patted her back as his arm slid around his wife.

"Me, too," Hermione whispered. "Me, too." She tried to block out her father's words as he related what had happened to her mother. Images of Gordon coming at her flashed in her head and she felt a little weak and stumbled a bit.

"Easy there," Harry caught her up in his arms. "Come on, you need to sit down."

"I haven't eaten anything in two days," Hermione admitted it, as he led her to the sofa in the living room. "I was afraid he may have done something to the food."

"I'll get you something," Elinore said. "What do you want? I'll make you anything you want sweetheart."

"Ellie?" Robert asked gently. "We just got her back...if you cook for her, she'll spend a week in hospital."

Elinore cast a glare at her husband. "All right then you make her something." she turned to her daughter. "Lavender and Seamus are upstairs... I'll go let them know you're home."

Hermione nodded and leaned back on the sofa.

"Is there anything I can get you?" Harry asked softly when they were alone.

Hermione shook her head. "I'm just exhausted is all."

"If you want we can stay here tonight," Harry offered. "We can go home if you want too."

"I want to sleep in our bed tonight...in our home," she answered, resting her head on his shoulder.

"All right," Harry wrapped his arms around her. "I missed you so much Hermione."

"I missed you," she whispered. "Today when you first came into the room, I tried to touch you, but I couldn't..."

"I felt it," Harry said. "That's what made me think that there was a masking charm on the room."

Hermione closed her eyes as she buried her face in his chest. The peacefulness didn't last long as Lavender nearly sprinted into the room. Hermione didn't move, however. She still clung tightly to Harry.

"Hermione!" the blonde squealed. "You're okay!" she flew forward and plastered herself against her cousin.

"Hi, Lavender," Hermione said hoarsely, hugging her cousin. She looked over Lavender's shoulder and gave a slight smile to Seamus.

"Hi Hermione," he said. "Glad... glad to see you're all right."

Elinore handed her daughter a glass of orange juice. "Your dad's nearly finished with the waffles," she said, handing her the juice. Hermione was keenly aware that every eye was on her and she nervously took a sip of her juice.

Harry stood up. "I'll go help him," he said, giving Hermione's hand a squeeze.

Robert looked up over the waffle iron at Harry as he walked into the kitchen. "How is she?"

"A little overwhelmed I think," Harry said honestly. "Everyone's watching her."

"She's going to need time to get over all that happened," Robert said wisely. He leaned against the counter. "I wanted to kill him, Harry. I've never felt that way about anyone before...I wanted to kill him for what he'd done to her---for what he almost did to her."

"Same here," Harry replied. "When I... faced with Voldemort... it's nothing like what I felt like tonight."

"What will happen to him now?" Robert asked quietly.

Harry sighed. "I don't know. If he's truly gone mad, they'll either put him in a ward at St. Mungo's or ship him off to the same place his parents are. If he's still sane he'll be kept at the Ministry."

Robert nodded. "You're both welcome to stay here tonight. We'd love to have you."

"I'll go along with whatever she wants," Harry said. "She just told me she wants to go home though..."

"You don't think the press will hound her over this, do you?" Robert asked concerned. "That's all she needs."

"I don't think so," Harry said bemusedly. "I don't know if they've even caught wind of it. They're probably too worried over the state of Andrew Murphy."

Robert smiled in relief. "Well, how about you go and tell everyone this is ready?"

"All right," Harry replied sharing a grin with his future father in law. "Your dad's almost done making your waffles," he said, sitting back down next to Hermione in the living room.

Hermione smiled and tried to listen to the conversation going on around her but she was finding it hard to focus. Luckily, her dad called them all into the kitchen and soon everyone was busily eating. Hermione nearly devoured her waffles as she hadn't truly realized how hungry she was until now. After she'd finished eating, she asked Lavender if it'd be okay if she went upstairs to get some rest in their old room.

"Sure," Lavender replied. "You can even sleep on my bed if you want... I sort of have a bunch of clothes thrown on yours..." her face turned red.

"That's fine," Hermione said, squeezing Lavender's hand. She looked across the room at Harry who was talking with her father and Seamus.

Harry felt her eyes on him and turned to look at her. "Are you going to rest? I really don't mind staying here tonight if you want to just sleep."

"No, I want to go home," she said her voice barely above a whisper. "But I wanted to rest a little while. I don't want to be alone, though. Would you come upstairs with me?"

"Sure," Harry got up instantly.

Hermione led him upstairs and down the hall to the bedroom she'd once shared with Lavender.

"Everyone's going to want to see you tomorrow," Harry said softly when they were in the bedroom.

Hermione didn't answer him as they settled down on the twin bed. She didn't know if she was ready to face everyone at once.

"Want me to tell everyone to stay away for a few days?" Harry offered. "They'll understand."

"Just until I get my bearings back," she whispered sleepily, closing her eyes.

"Shh..." Harry lay back and she rested her head on his chest.

It didn't take long for her to be lulled to sleep by the sound of Harry's beating heart and the way he was running his hand through her hair.

Harry watched her sleep; still almost unbelieving that she was here, safe and sound. It wasn't long before his own eyelids grew heavy.

Hermione's sweet dreams of Harry were disturbed by images of Gordon coming at her. She kept seeing him coming at her, undoing his belt. In her dream, he threw her down on the bed and pinned her arms so she couldn't move. "Let me go!" she called out. "LET ME GO!" she called out from the bed, waking Harry with her cries. She was shaking.

"Hermione!" Harry instantly cupped her face with his hands. "Wake up sweetheart... come on..." he shook her gently.

"NO!" she screamed, waking up. The room was dark and she felt someone's hands on her face. "Let me go! Please..."

"Hermione!" Harry patted her cheeks lightly. "You're safe now, come on wake up."

"Harry," she said breathlessly, opening her eyes. "Harry..."

"I'm here," he said gently.

She wrapped her arms around his neck. "He was in my dreams, Harry."

Harry held her close. "He can't do anything to you anymore."

She nodded. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," Harry replied, running his hands soothingly through her hair. "You didn't ask him to take you; you didn't ask him to curse all those people..."

"But it was because of me that he did all of that," she said quietly. "How could I not feel guilty because of that?"

"You didn't encourage him," Harry said softly. "It was you he was fixated on, but it could have easily been someone else. He'd have done the same thing."

Hermione shook her head. "I might not have encouraged him out right, Harry. But, I might as well have by dismissing every odd thing about him. I took his word time and time again over yours. I believed every explanation he gave me!"

Harry looked down for a moment. "I really don't know what to say to that," he replied honestly.

"Everything could have been avoided if I'd have just listened," Hermione said gravely. "Andrew Murphy, his parents... I don't know how I can forgive myself for this, let alone expect you to forgive me, Harry."

"Hermione," Harry said firmly. "While yes, things would probably be different if you listened, you can't help what went on, and what is going on in his head. The guy is messed up, and now he's going to get the help he needs instead of preying on another person."

This time it was Hermione who didn't know what to say to this. Logically, she knew Harry was right, but she still couldn't help heaping a portion of the blame on herself for what had happened. This was going to take some time to get over.

"Does that make you feel any better?" Harry asked, seemingly reading her mind. "If it weren't for you, he'd still be in the clear. Now he can't do anything to anyone else again."

A tear trickled down Hermione's cheek. She hugged Harry and hoped that he wouldn't push her away. To her relief, he wrapped his arms around her and held her as she cried.

"He was going to take me away," she said a few minutes later, remembering how he'd told her about the spell. "He said it was going to make me his forever. If you hadn't have come along when you did, he'd have taken me away and I'd have..."

"I'd have found you," Harry said firmly.

Hermione looked away from him. There was something she'd been thinking about while she'd been held captive and she wanted to ask him. "Harry," she said, not looking up at him. "The reason you asked me to marry you...so soon...was it because of Gordon?"

Harry looked down at the cover. "Partly," he admitted, not wanting to lie. "But I really do want to marry you. I honestly wouldn't have asked if I didn't want us to go that route."

Hermione kept her eyes averted from his gaze. "Really?"

"I swear," Harry said. "I love you Hermione."

She finally looked up and slowly inched her face closer to his.

"You believe me don't you?" Harry whispered.

"Yes," she answered softly, before gently pressing her lips to his.

Harry relaxed as she kissed him. He gently wound his arms back around her and kissed her a little harder.

They lay back on the bed and Hermione smiled up at him. "I love you so much," she whispered.

"I know," he said quietly. "I love you as well."

"Take me home," she said softly.

"All right," Harry kissed her again and they got up quietly. In the short time they had been sleeping it seemed as if everyone else had turned in as well. "Let's leave your mum and dad a note..." He said as they crept into the kitchen.

Hermione watched as Harry quickly scribbled a note. She looked down at her hand and remembered that her ring was gone. She had no idea what Gordon could have done with it. Deciding she'd tell Harry about it tomorrow, she took his hand.

They walked briskly, not talking much until they reached the cottage. Harry kissed the back of her hand as he opened the door for her. "Do you want to go right to bed or did you want some tea or something?"

"I'd like to take a bath," she admitted. "Get out of these clothes."

"Right," Harry said. "I'll go run it for you, how does that sound?"

"You're being so sweet to me," she said smiling at him. "I could get used to this."

"You deserve a little spoiling," Harry smiled back at her. "But don't let it go to your head," he teased gently.

"I won't," she promised.

Harry squeezed her hand and went to run her a bath while she changed out of her torn jumper and dirty jeans. "That's got to feel better already," he said as she came into the loo in her cream coloured robe.

"You have no idea," she said grinning at him. "It feels so great to be home."

"I'm glad," Harry said. "I'm going to go downstairs and make some tea."

"Okay," she said. "Thank you."

"Come on down when you're finished," Harry said, caressing her cheek with the back of his hand.

"I will," she said, pressing her cheek to his hand.

Harry went down the stairs and set the kettle on the stove. He could hardly believe just one night ago he was sitting almost in the very same spot and was completely miserable. He was also still astounded at the turn of events that had taken place that night.

A few minutes later he held two steaming mugs of tea in his hand and he went back upstairs. "Hermione?" Harry knocked on the door. "Thought you might like to have this in there..." he listened and thought he could hear her crying softly.

"Come in," she said, wiping quickly at her cheeks as she pulled on her robe. The bath had been very relaxing and nice, but she'd also had a lot of time to reflect on what had happened.

Harry went into the loo, his eyes soft with concern. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she said quickly. She didn't want him to know she'd been crying again.

"Hey if something's wrong you can tell me," Harry set the mugs down on the counter. "I'm here for you..."

"I know," she said. "It's just...I want things to be like they were before this happened and I don't know if they ever will be. What if he gets out and comes after me again? Am I going to have to look over my shoulder for the rest of my life? Will we be the same again, Harry?"

"Of course we will," Harry hugged her fiercely. "There's two things that could happen to Gordon Devereaux. Either he's gone mad and will stay in St. Mungo's, or he'll be held at the Ministry until there's a trial to determine how he should pay for what he's done." he felt her wrap her arms around him. "You're going to be just fine Hermione."

He felt her nod into his shoulder. "I know what you need," Harry said suddenly.

"What?" she asked.

"Go dress in something warm," Harry sent her a smile. "I'll put a charm on these so we can have them when we get back," he picked up the mugs. "Be downstairs in ten minutes."

Hermione couldn't help but smile back at his enthusiasm. "Dress in something warm?"

"Yes," Harry said, leaving the bathroom. "Ten minutes!" he called back.

"Okay," Hermione said, walking into their bedroom wondering what he had planned. Ten minutes later, she came downstairs in a light blue jumper and jeans. "How's this?"

"Wear this," he handed her the thickest cloak he could find in their hall closet. "It can get pretty cold."

"What can get pretty cold?" she asked him, staring at him quizzically.

"I'm taking you flying," Harry produced his broom. "Your first night time ride."

Hermione shook her head and laughed. "You've got to be joking. I'm not getting on that...thing."

"Come on," Harry said. "I guarantee that you'll feel almost completely better once we get back. I used to go fly all the time at night back before I battled Voldemort and it always helped clear my head." she still looked hesitant. "You trust me don't you?"

"You know I do," she answered.

"Then trust me on this," Harry said. "And if you don't feel better, I promise to never bother you again about flying."

"Okay," she said, still feeling a little queasy at the thought of being off the ground in the dark. "Just promise me you won't do any of those flips or that Wonky-Feint thing while I'm up there with you..."

"I promise," Harry said. "We'll take it nice and easy."

"I can't believe I'm actually agreeing to this," she said shaking her head. "But okay...let's go."

"Great," Harry wrapped his cloak around himself and they left. Down the street, Harry mounted his broom and gestured for her to sit sideways in front of him. "It'll be more comfortable for you this way."

"It'd be more comfortable for me on the ground actually," she joked nervously.

"Come on," Harry said. "I swear you're going to love this."

"Okay, okay," she said, sitting sideways as he instructed. "What do we do now?"

"Wrap your arms around me," Harry said, sliding his hand around her waist while his other gripped the handle.

"I like this part," Hermione said with a grin.

"I figured," Harry teased.

Hermione kept her eyes closed, not wanting to watch any of it. She hoped Harry wouldn't notice.

Harry pulled up gently on the handle and they rose several feet in the air. "It's okay to look," he said. "We're only about fifteen feet up."

With her eyes still closed, Hermione said softly, "I'm looking."

"You are not," Harry said.

"Isn't it enough that I'm up here?" she asked, tightening her grip around Harry's waist as she felt him speed up a bit.

"Didn't you say you trust me?" Harry asked.

"Yes," she reluctantly admitted. "Oh, all right." She opened her eyes and looked straight ahead. It was quite nice actually, she had to admit. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. "It's beautiful," she whispered.

"Exactly," Harry said, slowing down.

"There's something I need to tell you," she said.

"What's that?" Harry asked shifting as she held him tighter.

She bit her bottom lip. "My ring, Harry. Gordon took my ring after he knocked me out. I don't know what he did with it...I asked him to give it back, but he wouldn't. I'm so sorry."

Harry dug into his pocket for a moment. "This ring?" he held it up.

Hermione stared at in disbelief. "But, how?"

"He sent it back with the note you wrote...the note that helped us figure out where you were." Harry motioned for her to hold up her left hand.

Her hand was shaking as she did as he indicated. "I can't believe it. I thought I'd never see it again."

"I'd have torn apart his flat if he hid it there," Harry said, his eyes darkening momentarily before he slid the ring onto her finger. "There now, it's back where it belongs."

She wrapped her arms around his waist again. "I love you for this...for everything."

"I'd do anything for you," Harry said.

"I know," she whispered. "I'd do anything for you."

*** *** ***

Harry kept his arm wrapped around Hermione as they walked along the pavement towards her parents' house. "Are you sure you're ready to face everyone?" He asked. "I know last night you were a little weary."

Hermione smiled at him. "I feel much better today. Thanks to you."

"I'll bet it was because of the flying?" Harry nudged her playfully. "I knew it would help clear your head."

Hermione shook her head. "The flying did help, but I think it had more to do with who I was flying with actually."

"Right," Harry replied with a smile. "You'll have to let me know when you want to go again."

She nodded and followed him up the steps. Last night when they'd returned home, he'd held her until she fell asleep. Luckily, she hadn't dreamed of Gordon at all. She hoped she wouldn't, but she still kept seeing visions of him and what had happened in her head.

Harry knocked on the front door, his right arm still around her shoulders. "If you get too overwhelmed we can always go home..."

"I'll be okay," she whispered, leaning against him for support.

Robert answered the door, a smile on his face as he saw his daughter and future son in law. "How are you today, sweetheart?" he asked, giving her a hug.

"Much better, Daddy," she answered. "What is that wonderful smell?"

"Pumpkin pie," Robert grinned at them.

"I knew we came over here for a good reason," Harry teased.

"Word of warning," Robert said, lowering his voice. "Malcolm is here."

"Oh no," Harry's face fell. "Does he blame me for what happened?"

"You, me, Seamus," Robert said with a shrug. "He doesn't even know your friend Ron, but he's been giving him the third degree since he and Luna arrived."

Hermione stifled a laugh.

"Great," Harry groaned. "Love, mind if I skip out?" he was only half kidding.

"If you can get me to fly, you can certainly spend an hour or so with my scary grandfather," Hermione answered him.

"All right," Harry said reluctantly. Robert patted his shoulder as they went inside and into the living room where everyone was gathered.

"Hermione!" Cho exclaimed, getting up from the sofa. She handed Chiaki off to Neville and enveloped her friend in a hug.

"It's great to see all of you again," Hermione said, trying not to cry.

"Oh don't start crying or you'll make the rest of us start!" Luna also got up and embraced her friend. "I'm so glad you're okay Hermione."

"Me, too," Hermione said with a laugh. "Me too."

Ron was trying to make his way over to Hermione as well, but her grandfather didn't seem to be in any hurry to let him go.

Harry sat down by Elinore. "She seems to be bouncing back pretty quick." he said as Lavender, Seamus and everyone else greeted her.

"Was she okay last night?" Elinore asked.

"Not at first," Harry replied. "She was having some sort of nightmare and that's when we went home. I took her flying and that really seemed to help her. That and I gave her back her engagement ring." He smiled.

"You took her flying?" Elinore asked, amazed. "And her ring! That's fantastic!" She gave Harry a hug. "I am so glad that she has you, Harry."

"Thanks," Harry hugged her back. "And I'm glad I have her. These last few days have been awful but I think everything's going to be all right." he leaned in. "I heard from my professor this morning. Gordon's taking up permanent residence at St. Mungo's."

Elinore nodded. "Perhaps he'll be able to get the help he needs now. I still can't get over what he did to his parents..."

"I know," Harry shuddered. "Really blows my mind and I never even met them."

"They were really good people," Elinore said, tears welling up in her eyes. "They certainly didn't deserve this." She looked over at Hermione who was holding Chiaki.

"She looks like a natural doesn't she?" Harry sat back.

"That she does," Elinore smiled. "I promise not to ask you for grandchildren until after the two of you are married."

Harry laughed. "I think Hermione would rather have her career set first before having any kids," he thought back to when they thought she was pregnant.

"What's this about having children?" a gruff voice asked behind them. "You haven't gotten my granddaughter pregnant, have you?"

"Dad!" Elinore said a horrified expression on her face.

"No, I haven't," Harry replied. "We were talking about a few years down the line," he didn't want this man to know how much he intimidated him.

"Dad," Elinore said getting to her feet. "You do know that Robert made some of those biscuits you like so much didn't you?"

Malcolm sniffed. "He doesn't put enough sugar in them."

"Grandpa," Hermione came over to them. "Did you get to see my friends' baby Chiaki?"

"Why don't I take Chiaki," Elinore said, gingerly taking the baby from Hermione. "And we'll leave you and Harry to get settled."

Hermione smiled gratefully at her mother. "Sorry about that," she said sitting down beside Harry. "I tried to get to you sooner."

"It's all right," Harry said. "I've just been talking to your mum."

"About me?" she asked.

"A little," Harry said.

Hermione laughed and cuddled close to him. "Luna and Cho can't believe you actually got me on a broom. They think I made it all up."

Harry smirked and put his arm around her. "They're probably just jealous that Ron and Neville don't take them flying."

Hermione looked across the room and saw that Malcolm had once again cornered Ron.

"Poor Ron," Hermione said with a grin.

Harry sniggered. "He probably doesn't know what to make of him."

Hermione smiled and for a few moments she and Harry just sat cuddled close together watching their friends and family. "I wanted to thank you again for being so sweet and patient and understanding with me last night," she finally whispered.

Harry looked down at her. "Why wouldn't I be?" he asked. "You just went through something horrible and I'd have done anything for you last night, I was just so glad to have you back safe and sound."

"I know," She said looking back at him. "I just wanted you to know I appreciated it. I didn't think it was actually possible to love you more than I already did, but you proved me wrong last night."

"I'd like to prove you even more wrong later," Harry joked. "But only if you want to."

"We'll see," she said softly.

Neville came over to them carrying two dessert plates. "Your dad asked me to bring these over."

"Thank you!" Harry seized the plates. "Have I mentioned your dad is fantastic?"

"You've never said that actually," Neville said, answering for Hermione. "In fact, I remember this past summer you actually said...well, it's not important now."

Hermione narrowed her eyes at Harry. "You talked bad about my father, did you?"

Harry glared at Neville. "I never said anything bad about him; Neville's just being a git."

"It's okay," Hermione smiled at him. "I said some bad things about him this summer, too. Mostly because he was being so damn stubborn, which explains where I get it from, doesn't it?"

"Aye," Harry said. "It does."

"Hermione!" Ron hissed coming up to them. "Your grandfather is mental! He makes Severus Snape look like a warm, fuzzy bunny."

Harry laughed hard at Ron's analogy while Hermione looked puzzled.

"Who is this Snape person you two are always talking about and why does Neville pale at the mere mention of him?" Hermione asked.

"He was this professor back at school," Harry explained. "He... well let's just say he gives Thackeray a run for the money in the Biggest Arse of All category."

"Your grandfather has nothing on him, though," Ron said. "Hermione, he keeps asking me what I do for a living and it sort of took me by surprise. Your mum told me he doesn't know about what we all are and so I was trying to rack my brain for something and I told him I worked in a shop...but he thought I was lying."

"He's a bit old fashioned," Hermione explained.

"He's a bit scary," Ron corrected her.

"That too," Hermione smiled a bit. "But he's my grandfather and he loves me."

"He's not the only one," Ron said, bending down and pecking Hermione on the cheek. "We're all really glad to have you home."

"Thanks Ron," Hermione got up and hugged him tightly.

Ron grinned back at her and then went off to go and find Luna. Cho came back over to them carrying Chiaki. "Hermione? Who are Magda and Suzette? Your mother seems to think they're going to be in your wedding party."

Hermione groaned. "Lavender was supposed to talk her out of that," she put her head in her hands.

Harry patted her on the back. "It's going to be okay, love."

"No you don't understand," Hermione replied. "My mother is plotting my wedding with two French twits I can't stand!"

Cho listened as Hermione gave her a brief history of her Beauxbatons classmates. "Can't you just tell you mum you don't want them there?" Cho asked. "Your mum's usually pretty reasonable."

"I've told her, and so has Lavender," she got up with a sigh. "I guess I'd better go do some damage control."

"Good luck," Cho called out to her. Cho turned to Harry and gave him a hug. "She seems to be doing okay."

"Yeah she's going to be fine," Harry replied, his eyes following her across the room.

"And you took her flying?" Cho asked.

"Aye, I did." Harry replied. "Last night around midnight."

"Late night flight," Cho said dreamily. "How romantic. I haven't been flying in ages...not since we left Hogwarts."

"Talk to your husband about that," Harry leaned back and stuffed a large bite of pie in his mouth.

"You do remember his first flight on a broom, don't you?" Cho asked. "I think I'll leave that alone..."

Harry laughed as he set the empty plate on the table and took Chiaki from her. "Aye, but I'm sure he's gotten a little better since then."

"He hasn't," Cho laughed. "But I still love him."

"Right," Harry kissed Chiaki's pink forehead. "I can't believe how big she's gotten already." the baby gurgled and stared him at him.

"I know," Cho said smiling down at her daughter, who crooked her small hand around Harry's finger. "I think she's crazy about you."

"The feeling is completely mutual," Harry replied. "I hope when I do have a kid someday it's just like her."

"Who knows...maybe they'll be best friends," Cho said smiling at him. "You and Hermione need to get to work so there isn't too much of an age difference between them."

"We need to get married first," Harry bounced Chiaki gently in his arms. "We're going for next June."

"Next June, eh?" Cho asked. "Hearts all over the world will be broken when the Most Eligible Wizard Bachelor takes a wife..."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Guess they'll all have to live with it."

"If they knew what you were really like, they probably wouldn't be so heartbroken," Cho teased.

"Thanks a lot," Harry replied, grinning at her. "This comes from the woman who I supposedly got pregnant."

"Very funny," Cho said glaring at him, but her eyes were twinkling. "Chiaki? Can you say egomaniac?"

"Can you say spoiled rotten?" Harry quipped back.

"Cute," Cho said, taking the baby back from him. "I'm going to go see if I can find Neville."

"Right," Harry got up to look for Hermione.

Hermione was in the kitchen, talking to her mother. "Mum, I'm not going to budge on this...I don't want either of those girls in my wedding party. I'd rather have two random people off the street than either of them."

Harry smiled as he walked in with the empty plate. "Am I interrupting anything?"

"Yes," Hermione said. "Thankfully."

Elinore frowned. "Hermione sweetheart, you need at least one or two more bridesmaids. Harry, how many groomsmen do you have?"

"I actually haven't asked anyone yet," Harry answered. "But I guess I'd have Seamus, Ron, and Neville."

Elinore shook her head. "You need another."

"Mum!" Hermione said. "You can't tell Harry how many groomsmen to have!"

"I could ask my mate Dean," Harry said, hoping to assuage the situation. "He went to school with all of us."

Elinore smiled. "How perfect then! Four apiece will do nicely!"

"I don't have four," Hermione hissed. "I have three, Mum."

"You can find another girl," Elinore said calmly. "I'm sure you can."

"Fine," Hermione said. "But it won't be Magda or Suzette."

"All right," Elinore conceded.

"Mum, shouldn't you go check on Daddy and make sure he's not fighting with Grandpa?" Hermione asked.

"Good idea," Elinore said. "I'd like to get together with you soon so we can reserve a hall for the reception and you two will have to tell me where you want to be married at."

"It's over a year away," Hermione answered, but her mother had already left the kitchen. "Geez..."

"She's just excited," Harry said. "Cant' blame her, I'm really looking forward to it myself."

"Me, too," Hermione whispered.

Harry leaned over and kissed her gently. "I love you," he said softly.

"I love you, too," she said softly. "So much..."

Harry kissed her again, this time winding his arms around her waist and pulling her close.

Hermione deepened the kiss as Harry pushed her back against the counter.

He lifted her up as she wrapped her legs around his middle. He sat her on the countertop as Hermione pushed her hands through his hair.

"Harry," she breathed, knowing that this was getting out of control fast and anyone could walk in at any second, but she didn't care.

"I know," he muttered, pulling away reluctantly.

"We'll finish this up later," she promised.

"All right," he caressed her cheek as she slid down. "I guess we'd better rejoin the party before we're missed." Harry grimaced suddenly. "Especially by your grandfather."

"You really are intimidated by him, aren't you?" she asked, reaching up to smooth down his hair.

"Don't ever tell anyone that," Harry replied. "I just want him to know that I'm good enough for you."

"He knows," Hermione reassured him. "He just has a different way of showing it..."

"You're not kidding," Harry made a face and she laughed.

"Come on, Mr. Wonderful," she said, smiling as she led him back into the living room.

"Please tell me you weren't doing what I think you were doing in there," Lavender said pulling a face. "We eat in there you know!"

"Well I guess you should wipe down the table," Harry shot back. Hermione pulled on his arm.

"Very funny, Lav," Hermione said, pulling Harry away.

"Why do they always assume we're doing that when we're alone?" Harry asked.

"Because we usually are," Hermione answered simply.

"Right," Harry pulled her close.

"Hermione Jane," Malcolm Brown said, coming up behind them. "You haven't given your old Grandpa a hug all day."

"I'm sorry Grandpa," Hermione hugged him tightly. "I'm glad you're here."

"I'm glad that I'm here too, sweetheart," he said, not noticing the look of amazement on Harry's face. "When your Mum told me what happened, I was really worried."

"Well..." Hermione looked down. "I was too trusting... I'm just glad Harry was there to get me out of that place."

Malcolm turned and looked at Harry. "You helped bring her home?"

"Yes sir," Harry replied.

Malcolm looked at his granddaughter and then did the most surprising thing. He held out his hand to Harry. "Thank you for bringing her home."

Harry shook it firmly. "I'd do anything for her," he smiled at his fiancée.

Malcolm just nodded before walking away.

"Wow," Hermione said. "That's... the nicest I've even seen him be to anyone outside of the family."

"I probably shouldn't tell your dad that," Harry said, still somewhat in disbelief at what had just transpired.

Hermione giggled. "Maybe not. He might get jealous."

Harry laughed. "And he finally likes me now, so I don't want to jeopardize that."

"Of course not," Hermione hugged him around the middle.

"When do you think you'll be ready to go back to classes?" Harry asked gently.

"Soon," Hermione said thoughtfully. "I don't want to miss out on anything, and I can't leave Anna with all the work just because of Gordon."

Harry tensed up. "There's something we didn't tell you about the day Gordon took you. Someone saw him take you, but..."

"What?" Hermione asked. "What didn't you tell me?"

"It seems Anna walked into an empty classroom where Gordon was holding you," Harry explained. "He...he used a memory charm on her..."

"Oh Merlin," Hermione clapped her hands over her mouth. "Please tell me... please tell me she's..."

"He didn't wipe her memories out completely," Harry said, putting a hand on Hermione's shoulder. "He just wiped out her memories of the last couple of weeks. She's doing okay, but she's still a little shaken up."

Hermione tried to fight a new onslaught of tears. "It's all my fault..."

Harry pulled her close. "Hermione, no...it wasn't your fault. You didn't do this. Gordon did. I'm not going to let you blame yourself for this."

"I know but she'd be fine if she wasn't concerned about me." Hermione shook her head.

Harry cupped her face in his hands. "Don't do this to yourself, Hermione. This wasn't your fault. You didn't know he was going to do any of this."

Hermione tried to look down to hide the tears that pooled in her eyes. "Do you think she'll hate me?"

"I know she won't," Harry said softly. "She keeps asking everyone how you are and if you're okay. From what Lupin's told me, she was relieved to know that you were home."

"She's a nice girl," Hermione replied, taking a deep breath. "I'm not going to get worked up over this. Gordon can't hurt anyone anymore right?"

"That's right," he said, taking his thumb and wiping a tear from her cheek.

"All right," she released a shuddery sigh.

"You still up for the party?" he asked her. "I'm sure everyone would understand if you wanted to go home."

"No we can stick around for a bit," Hermione reached for his hand and squeezed it. "Long as you promise not to leave me alone."

"I promise," he said, kissing her forehead.

*** *** ***

A couple of days later, Hermione was ready to go back to classes. She was still feeling a little skittish and on edge, but Harry had more than helped with that. He'd been so supportive and loving over the last few days, Hermione knew she'd never have been able to get through all of it without him.

Today was also his first day back at training. He'd volunteered to walk her to her classes and though she knew he'd be late for his own training in doing so, she took him up on his offer. "It seems like ages since I was last here," Hermione said as they walked along the cobblestone sidewalk toward her class.

"Well a lot has happened since then," Harry said, squeezing her shoulders.

"That's the understatement of the year," she said.

Harry laughed and pulled her close. "I'm sure your professor will be glad to see you back."

She nodded. "Harry, do you mind if I ask you something? I know my situation isn't nowhere near anything like what you went through, but right after you fought Voldemort...how did you feel? Were all of your classmates looking at you...asking questions?"

"I was shoved face first into the spotlight," Harry replied. "And it sort of pissed me off; I mean I didn't think I deserved any special attention. I did what anyone would have done in my place."

"How did you get through all of it?" she asked.

"I had good friends," Harry smiled. "Very, very good friends."

"So do I," Hermione said, looking up at him. "And a very wonderful fiancé."

Harry grinned at her. "I'm glad to see you out and about rather than moping. You're very strong Hermione."

"I don't know about that," she said blushing. "Those nightmares and clinging to you...I felt like such a child. I wanted to put on a strong face for you and everyone else, but it's like I didn't even know how much it affected me, until I came home."

"It could have turned out worse," Harry said. "And there's nothing wrong with being scared. You're not letting it rule your life."

"Trying not to anyway," she said with a slight smile.

"You're not," Harry said. "And everyone was surprised to see how fast you bounced back. When we were at your parents' house the other day Lavender told me that everyone was set to fawn over you until they saw how collected you were when we walked in."

Hermione nodded. "I wouldn't have been able to be that way without you. You've been really great throughout this whole ordeal. I know I've said it so much, but it's the truth."

"And I'd do anything for you," Harry replied.

She smiled. "If I didn't know that beforehand, I surely do now."

Harry kept her by his side as they came to the classroom. He noticed her tense as they stood outside the door. "It's all right sweetheart, you know he's not in there."

Hermione nodded. "I know, it's just..."

"I know," Harry replied.

Hermione took a deep breath. "You should probably get going. You're already late."

"I'll walk you in," Harry said.

Hermione nodded and allowed him to lead her inside the room.

Harry nodded to her professor as she followed him into the classroom. "Where do you normally sit?" he asked quietly.

Hermione turned around to the seat she usually sat in which was a couple of rows back from the front of the classroom. An image of Gordon sitting beside her taking notes flashed in her head. She gripped Harry's hand.

"It's all right," Harry said in a soft, soothing voice. "I'm sure your professor won't mind if you sit somewhere else..." he looked around, glad that only a few of her classmates had arrived.

"You can sit beside me," a voice said from behind them.

Harry jumped and turned around to see a redhead girl standing behind them.

"Hi, you must be Harry," Anna Golden said, extending her hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"Hi Anna," Harry shook her hand. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," she said, smiling at him. "How are you, Hermione?"

"I'm doing all right," Hermione said, looking at her friend. "Anna I'm so sorry about what Gordon did to you. If there's anything I can do--"

Anna looked at Hermione with a confused expression on her face. "Why are you apologizing Hermione? Gordon was the one who did it, not you."

"I know that but if it weren't for me you wouldn't have even gone in there," Hermione said.

"I heard some noises and I went to check it out," Anna said simply. "You'd have done the same for me, wouldn't you?"

"Of course I would have," Hermione said, biting her lower lip.

"And it could have been much worse," Anna said, trying to reassure Hermione. "He could have wiped out all of my memories instead of what he did. I don't want you to blame yourself for any of this, Hermione. I certainly don't blame you."

"All right," Hermione said. "Thank you," she reached forward and hugged the other girl.

"I'm just glad you're okay," Anna said.

"Same here," Hermione wiped a tear from her eye. "I think I'll be okay Harry," she turned to her fiancé. "I don't want you to be any later than you already are."

"Okay," he said, kissing her cheek. "I'm going to try and meet you for lunch, okay?"

"All right," Hermione held onto him a moment. "I'll see you in a few hours then."

Harry nodded. "It was really nice to meet you, Anna."

"Nice to meet you, too," Anna said smiling at him.

Hermione watched him go. "He's really amazing," she said softly as they sat down.

"And he obviously feels the same way about you," Anna said, reaching into her bag and pulling out some parchment.

"Thank goodness for that," Hermione murmured. "He's been a steady shoulder since everything happened with Gordon. I can't believe how stupid I was for so long about him."

"He had everyone fooled," Anna said reassuringly. "I don't know...I always felt there wasn't something quite right about him."

"That's what everyone said. Everyone but me," Hermione sighed. "It'll be awhile before I trust people so quickly again."

"Don't beat yourself up about it," Anna told her.

"I'm trying not to," Hermione said.

"If you ever need anyone to talk about it with, I'll listen," Anna said. "I remember when they found me...it was so strange. I didn't know how I'd gotten there. When they told me what day it was, I was so frightened."

"That's horrible," Hermione said softly. "Has anything slipped through?"

Anna shook her head. "No, but I'm going to be okay. I just keep trying to tell myself that I was lucky. It could have been much worse."

"You're right," Hermione said. "It could have been much worse, for both of us. You could be sitting in St. Mungo's and I could be... Gordon's... lapdog..." she shuddered.

"Just keep telling yourself that and you'll be okay," Anna said. "With that and that handsome boyfriend of yours..."

"Fiancé," Hermione held up her ring.

Anna laughed. "I stand corrected. Fiancé."

"It only happened this past weekend. When I came in Monday you saw the ring and Gordon heard us talking about it." Hermione said. "I think that's what made him snap."

"The straw that broke the camel's back," Anna said, shaking her head. "From what they told me, he's really messed up."

"He's gone mad," Hermione twisted her ring around her finger. "Harry told me they've got him in a ward at St. Mungo's now. There's talk of sending him to the same place his parents are at."

"You're still scared, though, aren't you?" Anna asked gently.

"A little," Hermione confessed. "I mean, I haven't seen him since we left his flat that night Harry and my dad came for me. People can tell Harry things, but until I see him for myself I'll always be a little scared."

"I can understand that," Anna said. "But you know what might help...what if you went to visit him yourself? It might give you closure."

"You think?" Hermione asked. "I thought about that myself..."

"I do," Anna said. "It might be the only way you can close that chapter on your life and move on."

"You're probably right," Hermione said. "I'll talk to Harry about going over there this weekend."

Anna nodded. "So did you guys set a wedding date yet?"

"Next June," Hermione replied. "Two years to the day that we first saw one another."

"That's so sweet," Anna gushed.

"Harry's really romantic about things like this," Hermione turned a bit pink. "Most guys don't remember dates and anniversaries."

"You're telling me," Anna said, laughing. "My boyfriend is terrible."

"What does he think about everything that happened?" Hermione asked curiously.

Anna looked thoughtfully at Hermione. "At first, he wanted to beat Gordon to a bloody pulp. Still does, truth be told, but I told him that it didn't matter since I was okay."

Hermione nodded. "He'd probably get along quite well with Harry. He's always hated Gordon."

"Perhaps we could go on a double date some time," Anna suggested.

"That sounds like fun," Hermione said. "Maybe in the next few weekends sometime we can all have dinner and maybe go dancing."

"Well, I'm with you on the dinner at least," Anna said. "But Luke's not much for dancing."

"I wasn't either until Harry showed me how," Hermione said.

"That's how the two of you met, isn't it?" Anna asked. "I read the article in the Quibbler."

"Yeah, at a resort during the summer holiday," Hermione replied. "I was helping out him and Cho and it just blossomed from there."

"And now you're getting married," Anna said, winking at her.

Hermione laughed. "And now we're getting married," she echoed.

*** *** ***

Harry ran his fingers through Hermione's long hair as they lay together in bed. The sheets were twisted around them as they had just made love and he was quite content now to just stay there the rest of the evening with her.

Hermione lifted her head from Harry's chest and smiled at him. "That was just what I needed."

"Same here," Harry grinned. "I don't want to move for the rest of the night, unless it involves you in the shower."

"That might be arranged," she said huskily. She rested her head back on his chest and thought about the best way to phrase what she was about to tell him.

Harry closed his eyes and was starting to drift off when her voice jolted him awake. "What?" he asked.

She slid over onto her own pillow so she could look at him properly. "I was thinking about doing something and I wanted to know how you felt about it."

"What's that?" Harry yawned.

"I want to go and see Gordon," Hermione answered.

At first, Harry thought he'd heard her wrong? "What did you say?"

"I said I wanted to go and see Gordon," Hermione repeated.

Harry was silent a moment. "Why?" he finally said.

"You don't think I should, do you?" she asked.

"Why would you want to?" he avoided her question. "Hermione... the bloke is mad."

"I know," Hermione said. She put her hand on Harry's arm. "I need to do this for me, Harry. I can keep telling myself that he's away and he can't hurt me again, but how can I be really sure of that? I need to do this to get some sort of closure. I was talking about it with Anna today and she said it may be the only way I can close that chapter of my life and move on."

"But I told you he's in St. Mungo's," Harry objected, turning on his side to look at her.

"I know," Hermione said softly. "I was hoping you could talk to Lupin to see about getting me in. Please, Harry. I know you don't understand, but I really need to do this."

Harry was silent for a good minute or two. "If it means that much to you..."

"It does," she said. "I would really like it if you'd come with me, too...for moral support."

"All right," Harry kissed her gently. "I'll see if he can set it up for Saturday."

"Thank you," she said, caressing his cheek.

"You're welcome," Harry said. "Now how about that shower?"

*** *** ***

Harry held Hermione's hand as they sat in the waiting room at St. Mungo's. Truth be told, Harry still wasn't keen on this. Hermione, however, insisted it was something she had to do. He may not understand it, but he was going to support her.

"It shouldn't be too much longer," he said reassuringly to her.

Hermione nodded, her leg bouncing nervously.

"If you've changed your mind, we can go back home," he said softly.

"No," Hermione said. "I really need to do this."

He squeezed her hand. "We can even go flying afterwards if you want," he said winking at her, trying to make her smile.

Hermione curved her lips up weakly. "Maybe," she replied.

A mediwizard came up to them. "Miss Granger? They're ready for you now."

Hermione nodded. "Thank you," she stood up.

"Did you want me to go back with you?" Harry asked, standing up with her.

She nodded. "Please," she whispered.

Harry was glad she said yes. He didn't want to leave her alone with Gordon Devereaux. He just hoped he'd be able to keep his own emotions in check.

"We assure you that you will be safe," the mediwizard said, leading them through a set of double doors. "There are a number of safety wards placed on the room."

"All right," That made Hermione feel a little better. "Thank you."

They stopped at Room 342 and the mediwizard held the door open for them. "Take as long as you need," she said, ushering them inside.

Hermione stepped in hesitantly, her stomach fluttering madly. She gripped Harry's hand tightly.

Gordon sat on the opposite side of the room from them; his legs were pulled up to his chest and he was rocking back and forth on his bed. His hair was dishevelled and his skin was quite pale. When he saw Hermione walk into the room, his face lit up.

"Hermione," he said hoarsely. "You came to see me."

"I uh..." Hermione didn't know what to say. "I had to make sure you were safe..." she pressed against Harry, who put his arm around her protectively.

"I didn't finish the project," he said morosely. "I've left you with all the work."

"I have a new partner," she answered quietly.

Gordon nodded. "It's so dark in here, Hermione. Can you come a bit closer?"

"No," Hermione replied.

Gordon nodded and continued rocking back and forth. "We were going to go to Iceland, you and me. But, I messed things up...messed things up so badly. Hurt you...never wanted to do that. Only wanted to love you...but...messed up."

Hermione felt a twinge of sympathy for the pathetic person in front of her. "You're going to get the help you need now," she said quietly.

Gordon started to sob. "Why did he come with you?" he asked, looking down at the marble floor.

"He's here to take care of me," Hermione said.

"He was always there," Gordon said in a voice barely above a whisper. "He was always there...I hate him. He took what was mine."

"Hermione was never yours," Harry refused to feel sorry for this other man.

"I KNOW THAT!" Gordon suddenly screamed. "I KNOW THAT!" His outburst was so sudden that Hermione jumped. "SHE COULD HAVE BEEN MINE!" Gordon yelled. "SHE COULD HAVE BEEN!"

Harry pushed Hermione behind him, his wand already drawn. "Settle down Gordon," he warned.

Gordon winced and eased further back on his bed. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Hermione."

"It's okay," Hermione's voice shook slightly. She looked at Harry, who put his arm down and she approached the centre of the room slowly. "Look... I just came in to see that you're getting the help you need. I'm glad you are. It should have happened a long time ago."

Gordon nodded. "You're so beautiful, Hermione. Inside and out...I always saw that."

"Thank you," she said quietly.

"I love you," he whispered. "I did this for you."

"You don't love me," Hermione said gently. "You think you do."

"I love you, love you, love you," Gordon said, starting to rock again. "Never meant to hurt you...loved you..."

Hermione backed away. "I have to leave now," she said. "Good... good luck Gordon." she knew she was never going to see him again.

"We have to get going, Hermione," Gordon said, smiling at her as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. "I made so many plans. It's going to be cold, but I'll be there to keep you warm."

"Gordon," Harry warned. "Don't start."

"I'm really sorry that you had to find out about us this way, Harry," Gordon said apologetically. "We didn't want to hurt you, did we Hermione?"

"Gordon," Hermione's voice shook. "Don't do this to yourself. You're getting the help you need but you can't live in this fantasy world."

Gordon vehemently shook his head. "I DON'T NEED HELP! I NEED YOU!"

"All right," Harry had his wand out again. "That's more than enough," his voice was threatening.

Gordon laughed. "I don't think so, Potter. Don't you know that every single time she was with you, she was thinking of me...wanting me, needing me...just as I needed her..."

"Let's go Harry," Hermione's voice was trembling slightly but her tone was strong. "This was a mistake coming here."

"I'll be waiting for you, Hermione," Gordon said menacingly. "I'll always be waiting for you."

Cold terror seized her but she shook her head. "You'll never leave here," her voice was confident. "They'll never let you go even if you get better." Harry nodded at her and squeezed her hand.

Gordon began to rock back and forth again, whispering something incoherent.

"Come on sweetheart," Harry said. "Let's go." he tucked his wand back in his pocket and opened the door as Gordon began to sob loudly.

"Don't go, Hermione," Gordon called out to her as Harry closed the door behind them. "Don't go Hermione! DON'T GO!"

Hermione hugged Harry tightly. "That was just..."

"I know," Harry said, kissing her forehead. "It's over now. You don't have to see him ever again."

Hermione nodded, burying her face in his shoulder. "They'll really keep him locked up right?"

"Yes," Harry said reassuringly.

She nodded. "I'm glad I saw him," she said. "Anna was right- I know he's locked up and can't get out no matter what he does. I won't let him get to me."

"That's right," Harry said, still holding on to her. She was still shaking somewhat and he cupped her face in his hands. "Everything's okay, Hermione. I promise."

She nodded again. "Thank you for coming in there with me Harry."

He smiled at her. "I wouldn't have let you go through that alone."

Hermione smiled back at him. "Come on, let's go home."

They thanked the people at the desk and left the hospital. "Things are going to get better now aren't they?" Hermione asked. "I mean... now that Gordon is getting help, and you and I are engaged..."

"They sure are," he said, smiling at her. "Everything's just as it should be."

"Must be," Hermione leaned against him. "Everyone's happy and doing well in careers. I still plan on being Minister for Magic someday."

"I've been meaning to ask you about that. What do they call the spouse of the Minister?" Harry asked her cheekily. "Mr. Minister for Magic?"

Hermione laughed out loud, making Harry grin. "I like the sound of that," she teased.

"I don't know how I feel about that," Harry said laughing. "I'll have to have a think on that."

"How does Minister Granger- Potter sound?" Hermione grinned. "Maybe I should just keep my own name. People might think I'm just using your name to elevate my status."

"Whichever way you want to go is fine by me," Harry said. "Neville said the first thing I should learn about being married is that the wife is always right..."

"He's certainly got the right idea," Hermione said as they turned down the street to their house.

Harry smiled at her. "Home again, home again..."

"Home again," Hermione hugged him hard. "Thank you again for going with me Harry."

"Of course," he said, hugging her back. "I wouldn't have let you do that alone, Hermione."

"What do you want to do?" she asked, following him inside the cottage. "It's nice to be on holiday. Nothing to do for a change."

He smiled. The two of them had been so preoccupied over the past few months and the entire ordeal with Gordon had taken over so much of their time. It was nice to not have anything to worry about but each other, Harry thought.

"Doesn't matter to me what we do," Harry said, squeezing her hand.

"We could always start our wedding plans," Hermione smiled at him. "Especially before my mother takes charge. She'll have you lot wearing frilly light blue tuxedos."

"It couldn't be worse than those awful dress robes Ron had at Hogwarts," Harry said with a laugh. "I am going to have to see if I can find a picture of him in those."

"Tell me about them. Maybe we can trick him and make him think that's what he has to wear." Hermione grinned. She wanted to laugh and feel good after everything that had happened.

Harry chuckled. "They were awful, Hermione. We had to have them for the Yule Ball during our Fourth Year. Ron's were this horrible maroon colour with lace. He tried to remove the lace with every charm known to man..."

Hermione giggled. "Well once we get a picture we can play around," she replied. "He's the easiest one to tease next to Cho."

"It's really great to hear you laugh again," Harry said, putting an arm around her.

"It's good TO laugh again," Hermione leaned into him. "You're the best Harry, you know that? To put up with me like this."

"I'd be nothing without you, Hermione," Harry said, kissing the top of her head. "And you couldn't get rid of me if you tried, Granger. You're stuck with me."

"Aren't I the lucky one," Hermione kissed his cheek.

"Yes, you are," he teased.

"Come on," Hermione tugged at his hand. "Let's start listening to some songs so we can figure out what we want ours to be."

"Brilliant idea," Harry said, following her over to their stereo system.

The End

Author's note:

We're not through with you guys, yet! The next story in this little universe is a semi-short (well for us anyway) fan fiction titled "At Last". Set a year after the events of "Time of their Lives", Harry and Hermione's wedding is just around the corner. Getting married is going to be the easy part. Getting there is going to take the help of their friends and family. Be there with your favourite couple every step of the way as they plan the wedding of their dreams.