Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: We wanted to thank everyone for the reviews...we really do appreciate those even though we don't always get the opportunity to respond to them. I know some of you were upset to find out that Hermione wasn't pregnant---we toyed with both options and ultimately decided that this was the best way to go with the direction the story is heading. Gordon also makes another appearance in this chapter...remember, you've been warned.

Ron watched as Paddington settled his head on his large paws. He could tell the puppy missed Luna almost as much as he did. "Come on fellow," he said, scratching the chocolate lab between the ears. "She'll be back in a couple of days."

"Ron!" Molly called out to her son from the kitchen. "Ron! Come here quick!"

Ron jumped up and ran into the kitchen. "What is it Mum?"

Molly Weasley stood at the kitchen table, clutching something to her chest. Tears were shining in her eyes. "Your sister sent us a letter."

"Ginny sent us..." Ron's voice trailed off. "What does it say?"

Molly put her reading glasses on again and opened the letter. She read aloud, her voice cracking at certain points.

Hello everyone from sunny Australia!

I am sorry that I couldn't get home for Christmas. Because I'm one of the newer employees, I couldn't ask for time off so soon after starting. The hotel I work at is one of the most luxurious in all of Sydney. It's hard work but it's not bad, and it's far more luxurious than Hillsdale.

I really like it down here- we went to the Golden Coast for a little holiday. Draco bought me a new swimming costume- it's gold and it looks fantastic on me.

Draco thinks I could one day be a model or an actress in one of those Muggle films. He really cares about me---the real me. You all wanted to make me fit some perfect cookie-cutter mould and that just wasn't me.

At this Molly looked up from the letter at her youngest son.

Ron took the letter from her, privately thinking what a wanker Draco Malfoy was.

I know you all probably still don't want anything to do with me after what I did at Hillsdale, but I really do sort of miss you all. Draco has been good to me, however, and it's helped with the bit of the homesickness I've gotten.

"It sounds as if he's treating her well," Molly said quietly. "I just find it hard to believe..."

"Yeah same here," Ron replied as Paddington edged his way into the room. He handed the letter back to his mother and scooped up the puppy, which was actually growing larger by the day.

"She, um, goes on to say that she's going to try and come home in July for a visit," Molly said, folding up the letter. "It'll be good to see her."

Ron didn't want to tell his mother that he doubted Ginny would be home then if ever. With the way she had behaved the previous summer he didn't know if she would ever really change, especially being with Draco. The letter had obviously made his mother happy and he didn't want to dampen that.

Instead, he smiled at her. "Glad to hear she's doing well." he said non committal.

"Yes, she is," Molly said, wiping a tear from her cheek. She put a plate of biscuits on the table and watched as Ron happily took one. "So how about Luna? Have you heard from her since she left?"

"Not yet, but she's only going to be gone until Sunday evening," Ron said. "I don't expect her to owl at all, she's going to be so busy."

Molly filled a bowl with water and set it on the floor for Paddington. "I really do like her, Ronald. She's good for you."

"Yeah she is," Ron smiled.

"She's got a good head on her shoulders and she can hold her own with this family and not too many people can say that," Molly said with a laugh. "Do you remember that one girl you brought home that one time? One of those Patil girls? You brought her home once and we never saw her again."

"Yeah..." Ron shook his head. "Padma had one dose of Fred and George outside of school and that was it for her. Anyone who can't hold their own with those two has no place around here."

"Too right," Molly said. "And that Luna can give as good as she gets."

Ron laughed. "Too right you are Mum." he lifted Paddington up and fed him a biscuit. "This little guy misses her too."

"Almost as much as you do," Molly commented, petting the dog. She and Ron watched as the dog greedily devoured the another biscuit. "So have you got big plans for Valentine's Day?" Molly asked a few moments later.

"I'm thinking she and I can use that weekend in Brighton that Harry and Hermione gave us for that article Luna did on them." Ron replied.

"Very romantic," Molly said grinning at her son. "You're just like your father."

"What has dad done that's romantic?" Ron asked, giving Paddington another biscuit.

Molly rested her chin on her elbow as a dreamy expression came over her face. "Well, it's not always about doing something grand, is it? It's about the little things he does. Sometimes, he brings me flowers for no reason at all. Other times, he'll just sit outside with me on the swing and we'll watch the sun go down. Sometimes, it's just knowing he's there. In the grand scheme of things, it might not seem like much. But, to me, it means everything."

Ron smiled. "That's how Luna is too. She doesn't expect me to do big romantic things for her. It's like... when we were broken up and I went by her office to help her set things up. She told me after we got back together that that was part of what made her realise she wanted us to be together."

Molly began to tear up again. "That's so sweet, Ronald. So very sweet..."

Ron laughed. "And then I got her this little monster," he rubbed Paddington's ears and was rewarded by sloppy kisses.

"Who adores you," Molly said laughing.

"Yeah, cause he bloody pees on me all the time," Ron replied.

Molly chuckled. "I like having the little fellow around. You tell Luna anytime she needs us to watch him, we'll do it." She stood up from her chair. "And you tell that Harry Potter if he doesn't come see me soon I'm going to never speak to him again. He hasn't been by in ages, Ron."

"He's been busy," Ron replied. "His current trainer for being an Auror is a complete arse," he told his mother about Matt Smith egging him and Neville on and how they were on probation.

"Sounds about as bad as Severus Snape," Molly said indignantly.

"Worse," Ron grimaced. "Harry's almost quit Auror training, the lot of us had to convince him not to- told him it wasn't worth letting Thackeray get the better of him."

"He was born for that job," Molly said proudly. "I'll have to ask Arthur about this Thackeray chap."

"Yeah, apparently that one girl who used to fancy Harry was asking around about him too," Ron said, not letting his mother know about Megan's relation to Fudge. "And Harry's talked to Lupin as well."

"Does Remus think he can do anything about it?" Molly asked.

"He's going to try," Ron replied. "It's a shame, he doesn't have as much pull as someone like Kingsley Shacklebolt, but they haven't been able to get a hold of him."

Molly nodded. She looked at her watch. "Ron, are you going to be staying for dinner?" she asked, getting to her feet. "Or do you have other plans?"

"I'll stick around if you don't mind," Ron said. "Everyone else has their own plans tonight."

Molly smiled. "I never mind having you here, you know that. It'll be just the three of us tonight. Three and a half if you include Paddington." She looked down adoringly at the dog, who was sitting at Ron's feet. "I'm kind of getting used to him. I might not want to give him back when Luna returns," Molly said with a smile.

Ron laughed. "She'd probably fight you for him. For some reason she absolutely adores this monster."

"I should have let you lot have a dog a long time ago," Molly said wistfully. "Would have been a lot better than that rat. If I had known he was really...," her voice trailed off and she shook her head.

"None of us knew," Ron said. "Least of all me... and I'm the bloody one who let him sleep in my BED!"

Molly shuddered. "It's best not to think about it." She was about to put her apron on to start dinner, but thought better of it. "I think I'll write back to Ginny before starting dinner," she said. "Anything you'd like to tell her?"

Ron thought for a moment. "Just tell her I said hi... I'll probably send her an owl of my own soon."

"She'd love that," Molly said, excusing herself from the kitchen, leaving her son and Paddington by themselves.

"Well little guy..." Ron said as Paddington jumped up on his knees. "Well... you're not so little anymore. "Bet you can't wait for your Mum to get home can you," he thought about Luna and he couldn't wait to see her either. "Maybe we'll surprise her when she gets back," he ruffled the dogs ears and thought that sounded like a most excellent plan.

*** *** ***

The following Friday found Lavender and Seamus walking toward Harry and Hermione's cottage. The two couples were going to have a nice evening in with dinner and a movie. Well, it was supposed to be one movie. Seamus had gone a little crazy in the video store and had rented six DVDs. Lavender had teased him that there was no way that they'd watch all six movies in one night, but Seamus said whichever ones they didn't watch tonight, they'd watch over the weekend.

"We really should have brought an umbrella," Lavender commented as they turned onto Horizon Alley. It had rained off and on all day and the forecast called for more.

"Ah, seeing you all wet couldn't be bad," Seamus grinned unashamedly at his girlfriend.

"I thought after the flood on set you'd be tired of seeing anything water related," she said, laughing.

"Just had to bring that up did you?" Seamus grumbled mildly. The rest of his week on set had gone smoothly, much to his surprise.

"Just teasing you," she said sweetly, as they came closer to the cottage, Lavender blinked. She thought she saw someone standing outside the door. Whoever it was they moved away from the door and started pacing across the porch. "Who is that?" Lavender asked, motioning in the direction of the cottage. "That's not Harry is it?"

"No," Seamus squinted. "Hair isn't messy enough..."

As if the person could feel he was being watched, he turned around. He pulled the hood of his cloak up, but not before Lavender could get a good glimpse at him. He looked very much like Hermione's study partner Gordon. "What is he doing?" she asked aloud.

"I have no idea," Seamus pulled on her arm. "Let's see where he goes..."

Lavender allowed Seamus to lead her closer and she saw Gordon peek into one of the windows. "He's a peeping Tom!" Lavender hissed.

"That's creepy," Seamus said. "What should we do?"

Lavender didn't know what to say or do. They watched him for another few minutes before the hooded person walked away.

She and Seamus stood there looking at his retreating figure before they both walked toward the cottage.

"I knew he was strange," Lavender said softly. "Now, I guess we have proof."

Seamus shook his head. "Harry's being awfully patient about the whole thing, despite what he's said. If this was happening to you I'd have booted the bloke out of here way before now."

"If he hears about this, I'm sure he'll do worse than boot him anywhere," Lavender commented as she and Seamus walked up the steps.

"Well we have to say something," Seamus replied.

"Definitely," Lavender said, ringing the doorbell.

Hermione answered it a moment later. "Hey you guys," she hugged her cousin and kissed Seamus on the cheek. "Glad you could make it!"

"We're glad you invited us," Lavender said, exchanging a look with Seamus. She was about to say something when Harry came into the room, wearing an apron. "Someone get a camera," Lavender teased. "The Boy Who Lived in an apron!"

"She made me wear it," Harry pointed to his girlfriend. "Told me if I didn't that she wouldn't sleep with me for a week!"

"As if either of you could go a week," Lavender joked, earning a stern look from her cousin.

"We have actually, if you must know," Hermione said. "Gone about a week without..."

Seamus coughed. "Right," he said hastily. "I think we can fill in the blanks here."

Lavender giggled as Seamus helped her out of her cloak. "Something smells delicious. Hermione obviously didn't cook."

Hermione glared at her. "Are you hungry or not?" she said, arms crossed. "Harry, tell them what WE made!"

Harry came up behind Hermione and wrapped his arms around her waist. "It was a team effort. By that I mean, she told me what to make and I made it," he said before nuzzling her neck.

Hermione turned and gave him a dirty look. "WE made fish and chips," she sniffed. "Here I am trying to cook and you all are taking the mickey out of me for it."

"We only tease you like this because we love you," Harry said, kissing her cheek. "It should be ready in a few minutes. I hope you got some good movies, Finnigan."

"Aye," Seamus said. "Lavender only let me get six." he grinned at her.

"And I had to drag him out or he'd have bought more," Lavender said, taking Seamus' hand and together they followed Hermione into the living room. Harry went into the kitchen to check on dinner.

Seamus dropped the movies next to the telly and went into the kitchen to help Harry, leaving Hermione alone with Lavender.

"So how have you been feeling?" Lavender asked her cousin.

"Much better, thanks," Hermione said, sitting down on the sofa. "Harry's been great..."

The blonde smiled. "Has he been waiting on you hand and foot?"

"Yes," Hermione laughed. "He even brought me breakfast in bed this morning."

"That's so sweet," Lavender replied.

"Yeah," Hermione said dreamily. "But enough about me. How are those designs going? I keep meaning to stop in and see you at the shop."

"They're fantastic!" Lavender grinned. "Every time Madam Malkin puts up another one someone buys it... I'm making some really decent commissions off it all!"

Hermione beamed at Lavender and gave her another hug. "I'm so proud of you, Lavender!"

"Thanks," Lavender grinned. "Sooner or later I'll be able to afford a place like this and move out too." Harry called out that dinner was ready and Hermione and Lavender walked into the kitchen.

Hermione slid in next to her boyfriend. "I'm starving," she said. "It feels like ages since I've eaten anything really good."

"Hello? I made you French toast this morning," Harry said, affronted. "Not the frozen kind, either."

"And that feels like ages ago," Hermione kissed him on the cheek. "But honestly, after being sick for so long it just feels like I haven't eaten anything that has taste to it..."

Lavender raised her glass of wine. "Well, here's to feeling better, living well and eating good."

Everyone toasted and dug in, Lavender and Seamus especially enjoying the meal. "Harry... I really had no idea you were this good of a cook," she said.

Seamus groaned. "Don't compliment him, Lav. That'll just go to his head."

"Hey!" Harry replied. "Why are you all picking on me?"

"So its okay when everyone's picking on me, is it?" Hermione asked, raising an eyebrow at him before bursting into giggles. This was the most fun she'd had in quite some time.

"Well I can defend you," Harry said, a goofy grin on his face.

Hermione grinned back at him as Seamus whispered something to Lavender. Hermione saw her cousin's expression turn serious and she wondered what was wrong. "Lavender?" Hermione asked. "Is everything alright?"

"Oh... yes of course... um I'm just curious if you've seen your friend Gordon lately," Lavender said, shooting a look at Seamus.

Hermione gave her a quizzical look. "I saw him in class today, why?"

"But he wasn't over this afternoon?" Lavender asked.

Hermione shook her head. "No, why?"

"Well..." Seamus took over. "When we were coming up the alley, we saw him in front of your place."

Hermione felt Harry tense up beside her. "Are you sure?" she asked her cousin. "He had plans with his girlfriend tonight, Lavender."

"Well it certainly looked like him," Lavender replied. "He was standing on your porch, and then he pulled his collar up and then looked in your window."

Hermione stared at Lavender. "Lavender, I'm sure you were mistaken. Gordon's out with Skylar tonight. I'm sure he wasn't lurking around outside."

Lavender shrugged. "Hermione, I'm just telling you what Seamus and I saw..."

"I know you are," Hermione said, reassuringly. "And I'm not doubting what you say you saw. I just don't think it was Gordon." She turned to Harry. "It is kind of creepy that someone was lurking outside, though," she said.

Harry was sure Lavender and Seamus were right. "Yeah, it is," he answered, trying to keep his voice from sounding short.

"Maybe we should put some extra wards on the cottage?" Hermione suggested.

"Sounds like a good idea," Harry grunted. 'It's official, I hate Gordon Devereaux,' he thought angrily.

"Um, why don't you ladies go in the living room and let Harry and I clean up in here," Seamus suggested. "We'll bring dessert out to you."

Lavender knew Seamus wanted to talk to Harry about what they'd seen and he obviously couldn't do it in front of Hermione. Grabbing Hermione's hand, she led her cousin out of the living room.

Seamus watched Harry. Living with him as he had at Hogwarts, he knew when his friend was angry. He could almost hear the wheels turning in Harry's head.

"So..." Seamus began.

"I don't get it," Harry said furiously. "He's taken to spying on us now! I don't bloody care what that wanker thinks of me but if he believes for one minute that he can take Hermione away..."

"I'm fairly certain it was him, Harry," Seamus said quietly. "I mean it was dark, but Lavender's pretty sure, too."

Harry sighed as he dumped their dinner dishes in the sink. "She doesn't see that he fancies her. I know Cho and Lavender have both mentioned it to her but she waves it off like it's nothing."

"How could she not see it?" Seamus asked shaking his head. "At the wedding, his eyes never left her, Harry."

"I saw it as well as you did," Harry replied.

"Have you tried talking to her about it?" Seamus asked. "Hermione's really smart. I can't believe she can't see how into her he is."

"I think we've all tried. I guess it's going to come down to Gordon exposing himself for who he really is to her." Harry turned and pulled out their dessert, which was the only other thing Hermione could make, rice pudding. "But if he hurts her I'll bloody kill him."

Seamus nodded. He'd feel the exact same way if some bloke thought about doing the same to Lavender. He helped Harry bring their dessert into the living room and settled down beside Lavender on the sofa. Harry joined Hermione on the floor where she'd set out some throw pillows.

"Everything okay?" Hermione asked Harry.

"Just fine," Harry faked a smile at her which turned genuine as she leaned against him. He kissed the side of her head. "Still feeling all right?"

"Better every day," she said happily. "Thanks for taking such good care of me."

"Anything for you," Harry laid back on one of the pillows. "All right Finnigan, what did you bring us for entertainment?"

"Nothing with blood and guts please," Lavender said. She'd not seen three of his selections because she'd been gone next door to look in at one of the shops while he'd finished up. "Something sweet and romantic."

Harry made a face. "I'd rather have the blood and guts," he replied, laughing at Lavender's dirty look.

"Sweet and romantic," Lavender said, smiling flirtatiously at Seamus. "Come on, Hermione. Back me up on this!"

Hermione laughed. "How about a drama?" she asked.

Lavender nodded. "I can go along with that. Okay, Seamus... what have you got?"

Seamus looked through the bag and pulled a movie out and handed it to Lavender. "How about this?"

"The Wedding Singer?" she asked. "Comedy is much better than blood and guts. I vote yes."

"Sounds good to me," Hermione replied and Harry consented as well.

The two couples settled in and watched the movie and Hermione felt so warm and loved surrounded by her friends and the man she loved. She felt better than she had in weeks and everything just felt normal.