Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: We're posting this a day early because tomorrow (Saturday) is my co-author's birthday---Heaven is turning the big 25. I know you all will join with me and wish her a very, very Happy Birthday! Although you probably can't send her Jude Law or Sean Biggerstaff as a present, you could leave a review for her (and me) and tell us what you think. In this chapter, you see just what Hermione has planned and how it goes over with Mr. Psycho…so Happy Birthday, Heaven! And Happy Halloween to everyone!

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

"Thank you for taking the time to do this Michael," Luna said as they walked together towards Harry and Hermione's cottage.

"It's no problem," Michael replied. "Believe me, I'm jumping at this chance! To photograph Harry Potter… especially with all the recent hullabaloo…"

"It's really wearing on both of them," Luna said thoughtfully. "I hoping I can write a good enough article that it will settle the public down about them and let them lead their regular life like it was before this all started."

"I'm curious as to how they got together," Michael said, shifting his camera bag to his other hand.

Luna smiled. "That's a whole other story in its own. It was at Hillsdale this summer- Hermione stepped in to help Harry and Cho out and it all bloomed from there. Very much a fairy tale in its own right," she giggled.

Michael smiled. "Does sound delightful," he said his voice soft.

"Harry and I have been close for quite some time," Luna said as they turned into Horizon Alley. "Back in school for the longest time he was really one of the only people who gave me the time of day. Even Ron didn't have much to do with me back then."

"What changed his mind?" Michael asked curiously.

Luna shrugged. "I'm not sure… he came to Hillsdale this summer and I chose to be his dance instructor… we got close…" she felt bad talking to him about this when it was clear this man still harboured a fancy for her. "If you don't want to hear about this I understand."

"No, it's all right." Michael said. "I'm man enough to admit I'm jealous of this Ron bloke but not in a bad way. I'd like us to be friends no matter what."

Luna smiled broadly at him. "Thank you. I want us always to be friends too."

Harry had just finished getting dressed when the doorbell rang. "I think that must be Luna and her friend!" he called out to his girlfriend, who was still in the bathroom.

"Go ahead and let them in," Hermione called back. "I'll be down just as soon as I finish figuring out how to put this dress on."

Harry shook his head but had a smile on his face as he went downstairs. He'd only seen Hermione briefly since she'd gotten back from shopping with her cousin- she had been sporting a slightly different hairstyle; long bangs now fell over her right eye and Hermione had done something to make it look tussled yet not sloppy.

"Hey Luna," Harry said, opening the door. "And Michael, right?"

"Hello Harry," Luna replied.

"Hi," Michael held out his hand. "Yes… I'm Michael. It's… it's really great to meet you."

"Pleasure's all mine," Harry shook his hand. "Thank you both so much for doing this."

"It's no problem Harry," Luna assured him. "Where did we want to set up for this?"

"Living room, kitchen… you name it." Harry replied. "Wherever you think the pictures will look best," he nodded at Michael.

Michael looked at the different rooms. "I like the light you have here in the living room," he said. "Plus it makes a nicer, more casual setting than sitting at a kitchen table."

"All right then," Harry said. "Hermione!" he called up the stairs. "You ready yet?"

"Be right down!" she called back.

"Hermione's really going all out for this," Harry told Luna. "She went out shopping with Lavender this afternoon and everything."

"She's as tired of this as you are," Luna replied. "Honestly, you should have seen her the week you got stuck in Madrid when this all began. Owl after owl…" she shook her head. "I never even saw that many at Hogwarts!"

"Hello," Hermione came into the room. "You must be Michael." She smiled warmly and extended her hand.

Harry could only stare, forcing his jaw to not fall straight to the floor. The dress his girlfriend wore could very well have been painted on, although she wore a fitted button jumper so he couldn't see the top yet. The dress fitted snugly over her hips and halfway down her thighs and was an icy blue colour.

Luna also looked surprised at Hermione's choice of wardrobe but said nothing, only smiled at her friend. Michael shook her hand, wondering to himself how someone could call this woman mousy. Not only was she striking, she also had an air of confidence about her that gave off quite a dazzling impression.

Luna made her way over to one of the armchairs and motioned for Harry and Hermione to take a seat on the sofa. Michael knelt down beside Luna so he could take some photos during the interview.

Luna took out her Quick Quotes quill and notepad and smiled warmly at her two friends. "Okay, Harry...why don't you tell our readers why you decided to do this interview in the wake of all the publicity you've received in the past week?" Luna asked.

"I wanted to set the record straight," he replied. "The recent things written about myself and my friends have left me quite furious, especially at the claims made about my friend Cho Longbottom's current condition, and even the cousin of my girlfriend."

Luna nodded. "Your girlfriend is Hermione Granger, of course. All of our readers want to know how the two of you met."

Hermione smiled at Harry, who put an arm over her shoulders. "We met this past holiday at a resort," she began to tell an abbreviated tale of how they got together. "And after we left there we decided to move in together. So far it's been wonderful, for the most part at least. Harry could certainly use a few pointers in terms of cleaning up the bathroom after himself," she teased.

Luna and Michael laughed along with Harry and Hermione. Michael began to take a few snapshots as Luna kept on asking question after question engaging Harry and Hermione in topics that she knew her readers would want to know, without seeming overbearing or un-objective. "So, for the record, Harry, you were involved at one time with model Isabella Marconi, but that relationship is over?" Luna asked.

Harry shifted a bit. "It's been over for quite some time. Until recently, I thought we were still friends. I found out she was hoping for more than I was willing to give."

Luna nodded. "The photographs that were published depicted you and Miss Marconi in a somewhat compromising position. What can you tell us about that?"

"She asked me to go to a club for a couple of hours so I agreed, thinking it might be fun to catch up with her. Once we arrived, her intentions became clear- she pulled me to her and kissed me." Harry rubbed the back of his neck as Hermione squeezed his hand supportively. "I pushed her away but evidently not soon enough as someone managed to take a picture of it."

"In the wake of those photographs," Luna continued, "there was another series of articles speculating on your involvement with Cho Chang, pardon me---Cho Longbottom. She has been a friend of yours since Hogwarts and recently married one of your best friends. What is the nature of your relationship with her?"

"She's one of my very best friends," Harry answered. "There's not much I wouldn't do for her, well for any of my friends really. They're part of the reason I'm still here today, their support during the time I had to deal with Voldemort means more to me than almost anything. And for the record, I gave her away to her now husband at the wedding a few weeks ago in place of her father, who died during our sixth year."

After a few more questions, Luna decided to wrap the interview up. With a look at Hermione, she gave her friend a reassuring grin. "In closing, Hermione...this past week hasn't been easy on either you or Harry. How has it affected your relationship?"

Hermione gave her boyfriend a smile. "It's not affected it negatively. One of the things I value most in a relationship is trust. I trust Harry. When he came home and told me what happened I believed him, as he's not given me a reason to not trust him before."

Luna beamed back at her friends and motioned for Michael to take some more photographs. "I think that went really well, you guys," she said, putting her notepad away. "I hope I didn't get too personal."

"I think it was fine," Harry answered.

Michael motioned with his camera. "I'd like to get a few close-ups of the two of you," he said.

"Great," Hermione said, leaning in closer to Harry, while Michael snapped away. With clenched teeth, she said softly to Harry, "I think we'll both be blind by the time this is finished."

Harry snorted quietly. "But hopefully the media will be off our backs,"

"You both did fantastic," Luna complimented them. "This'll show those Daily Prophet vultures."

"I hope so," Hermione replied as Michael finished taking photos. "I don't know how you've dealt with this all your life Harry. I couldn't have taken it."

"I'd like to say I've gotten used to it, but that'd be a lie," Harry said with a shrug. "It's when it starts affecting people I care about that it takes on a whole new meaning...you know? Especially that stuff with Cho...she didn't need that when she's so close to delivering. It's not right."

"It's not right in any case," Hermione replied. She looked over at Luna and Michael. "Well... are you ready for more pictures?" she smiled at him. "We can head out to the clubs now. Lavender and Seamus have 'spread the word' that Harry will be elsewhere tonight so we're hoping that you'll be the only photographer there."

Michael nodded and loaded his camera back in its case. "I'm ready when you are," he said.

The four of them left the cottage, heading out into the brisk chill of England's January. They wound up at a club near the Italian restaurant that Cho and Neville still frequented and Harry nodded to the bouncer, who let them pass ahead of everyone else. "You ready to show them all love?" he had to shout in Hermione's ear.

Hermione's response was to take Harry's hand and lead him onto the crowded dance floor. A nagging voice in her head reminded her that she had an exam tomorrow that she was ill-prepared for, but some things were more important than studying. Besides, it didn't count for that much of her final marks and she'd just make up for it on the next exam.

They found a spot near the middle of the floor and she crooked her finger in Harry's direction beckoning him to come closer.

Harry smiled as he went towards her, his eyes darkening as she began to unbutton the jumper she'd been wearing for the interview.

"I take it you like my dress," she said leaning in so he could hear her over the music.

Harry nodded vigorously as she peeled the jumper from her arms. He grabbed it away and tossed it towards the table that Michael and Luna had sat themselves down at, by the edge of the dance floor. He pulled Hermione close as they began to dance.

And dance…

*** *** ***

Lavender looked around the club. "I think they've figured out Harry isn't coming," she said. "I don't see anyone with a camera."

"Aye, but they're sneaky buggers," Seamus replied.

"That's true…" Lavender turned his wrist around. "It's half past two… I think we're safe in leaving now anyways."

"If you're ready to go, sure." Seamus said.

"I am," Lavender replied. She was tired and annoyed that she and her boyfriend felt like strangers on a blind date. He helped her on with her cloak and they left, walking next to one another but not necessarily together.

"What's going on here?" he asked when they had left the noisy club behind.

"What do you mean?" Lavender asked.

"I mean that we've barely said ten words to each other all night yet we've been out for hours," Seamus replied.

Lavender looked over at him. "Are you still angry with me over the other day?" she asked.

Seamus rolled his eyes. "Are you?" he asked. "Lavender…"

She sighed as she walked ahead of him, Seamus running a few steps to catch up. "I don't know," she said before he could even open his mouth.

"You don't know what?" Seamus asked.

Lavender sighed. "What we were fighting about in the first place." She pushed her blonde hair out of her eyes. Seamus opened his mouth to reply but she held up her hand. "No… you were right. It wasn't really any of my business."

Seamus looked at her a long moment. "I'm sorry," he said.

"No, don't apologise," Lavender turned to him, stopping in the middle of the street. "It's just that…" she paused for a moment. "Even though Hermione and I haven't always been close, I've always sort of felt… protective of her."

"Protective?" Seamus asked.

"Well yes… not that she can't fend for herself because I know she can, but… well back in school for instance, if anyone tried taking the Mickey out of her or gossiping about her behind her back, I'd be on them so fast with my wand it would make your head spin. I always defended her even if we were fighting, which Hermione and I usually were as teenagers."

"And it bothered you to see Harry and Isabella together?" Seamus guessed.

"Well yes…" Lavender replied. "It also bothered me because it made me feel insecure- if Harry and Hermione had troubles like this when they're so close, what would happen to the rest of us?"

"Lav," Seamus stepped forward. "Our relationship is completely different from Harry and Hermione's. We lead opposite lifestyles than they do."

"I know that," Lavender looked down. "But it scares me, all right?"

"Why?" Seamus asked.

"It just does," Lavender replied. "If this was happening to me I wouldn't be able to face it like Harry and Hermione are doing."

"You wouldn't have to face it alone," Seamus tipped her chin up so he could look straight at her. "But this isn't happening to us…" he paused a moment. "Well… not directly it's not. And you haven't received any backlash over the article you were in today."

"Thank goodness," Lavender replied. "You… weren't angry about that were you? Cho and I were just playing around- we had no idea that photographer was there."

Seamus scoffed. "Do you think for one minute that I'd believe that picture?"

"No," Lavender said, a small smile appearing on her lips.

"But I must say, Harry has good taste," Seamus's eyes twinkled. "To get Cho pregnant then to disappear with you and also have Hermione waiting for him at home…" he shook his head.

Lavender giggled and hit him playfully in the shoulder. "You're a goof," she said, wrapping her arms around his neck. "I'm sorry for being such a pain the other night."

"And I'm sorry for not listening to you," Seamus replied, pulling her closer.

She smiled at him. "You know, I haven't shut you up once tonight," her hand crept up to tangle in his hair.

"No, you haven't," Seamus answered. "Time for you to do some catching up Ms. Brown."

Lavender laughed as she leaned in and caught his lips in a kiss that warmed them both from head to toe.

*** *** ***

Gordon sat in the Transfiguration classroom at his desk and glanced at the empty desk beside him. Hermione was never late for class, especially on exam days. Usually, she showed up at least a half hour before the exam began to go over her notes one last time. But when Gordon showed up this morning with two cups of coffee and a couple of bagels, he'd been disappointed to see Hermione was nowhere to be found.

He glanced down at his watch once more. She had two minutes or she'd miss the exam. Their professor had a no tolerance view of tardiness and told his students that no excuses short of death would be acceptable.

At exactly eight o'clock, the professor made his way toward the door to close it, but Hermione breezed through at just the last second. With an apology to the professor she walked quickly to her desk and sat down. She didn't even look in Gordon's direction, but his eyes were fixed on her. Instead of looking prepared, she looked quite knackered. Her hair was pulled back in a sloppy ponytail and she wore an old sweatshirt and jeans.

Hermione hastily set her bag down and pulled out her quills and a sheaf of blank parchment. She looked to the side and saw Gordon glancing at her in concern. She flipped her new bangs out of her eye and sent him a smile. "I'm okay," she mouthed.

Gordon nodded and tried to concentrate as best he could on the exam, but he couldn't get his mind off of what had made Hermione late. Part of him hoped it was that she'd had a huge row with Potter over those photos and articles the papers had started to run. Gordon couldn't believe how well it had all gone. But, Hermione looked a little too relaxed for it just to be a row with Potter. Something else had to be going on and he was determined to get to the bottom of this when class was over.

Hermione was glad she'd had a chance to look over her notes that morning. She'd slept for a grand total of three hours before waking up at six. Even though this exam proved to be tough, she couldn't keep her thoughts off Harry; how his body had pressed against hers the night before, how her dress had been wet with sweat as they'd left, her hair also damp, Harry's glasses sliding down his nose... Hermione shook her head as she concentrated on her exam once more.

As usual, Gordon was the first one in the class to complete the exam. He gathered up his belongings and turned his exam in to the professor. Walking out of the classroom, he decided to take a seat on one of the benches and wait for Hermione to emerge.

Nearly twenty minutes later, she did and Gordon called out to her, but she didn't seem to hear him. He got to his feet and took off after her and tapped her on the shoulder. "Hey," he said, giving her a charming grin. "You sure seemed lost in thought."

"Goodness, I'm sorry," Hermione sighed. "I'm just exhausted is all."

Gordon nodded sympathetically. "I was up late last night cramming too."

Hermione smiled. "I was up early this morning," she replied, covering her mouth as she yawned. "So how do you think you did?" she asked as they walked away from the classroom.

"I think I did okay," he said modestly. "I was a little confused about his wording on question four, but I think I at least made it sound like I knew what he was talking about."

"Yeah me too," Hermione brushed her hair out of her eyes again. "I wonder if I should skive off our next class..."

"Skive off?" Gordon asked in disbelief. "Are you ill? I've never in all the years I've known you ever hear you talk about doing that."

Hermione smiled. "There's a first time for everything," she said in a flippant tone that had never passed out of her lips before.

Gordon didn't like this one bit. He had a feeling Potter was behind it. Hermione had done a lot of things lately that hadn't been like her at all, and most of them could be tied back to Potter in one way or the other. He allowed himself the hope that it somehow had to do with Potter and those articles.

"Is everything okay?" he asked her, pulling a concerned face. "I know you've been having some trouble with Harry and I want you to know that if you ever need anyone to talk about it with..."

"Oh... no Gordon, it's sweet of you to be worried but things honestly couldn't be better between Harry and me." Hermione smiled tiredly at him.

Gordon mustered a smile. "That's...that's really great, Hermione."

"Yeah," Hermione looked around and leaned in. "Do me a favour though?"

"Anything," Gordon replied.

"Make sure you pick up a copy of The Quibbler tonight," she whispered.

He gave her a quizzical look. "Why should I do that?" he asked.

Hermione smiled. "You'll see. That's all I'm going to say for now."

Gordon stared at her trying to keep his temper in check. He didn't like not knowing what was going on with her and she seemed determined to be coy. This girl before him was turning into someone he didn't recognize and he blamed Potter for it. "Okay," he said calmly. "I don't even get a hint?"

She giggled, which nearly made Gordon recoil. "Let's just say what's in the Quibbler will put the Daily Prophet where it rightfully belongs- in the rubbish bin." She glanced at her watch. "Will you let me borrow your notes to copy for tomorrow then? I really need to go have a kip or I'll be worthless this afternoon."

"You're really going to skive off?" he asked. "But Hermione...you know how important these classes are. You don't want to fall behind again, do you?"

"I haven't fallen behind yet Gordon," Hermione replied. "Honestly... Harry and my cousin were right- I've been taking things far too seriously. This past week has really taught me to lighten up and appreciate what I've got. I'm not going to slack off in my schoolwork, I promise."

Gordon nodded like he understood, but inside he was fuming. Of course, Potter would want that, wouldn't he? He'd want her to be at his beck and call whenever he needed her. Gordon wondered why she couldn't see how much Potter was changing her.

"Right," he said, plastering a fake smile on his face. "Of course you can borrow my notes."

"Thank you," Hermione reached up and gave him a quick hug. "I'll see you at four then for Ancient Runes... will you just tell the Charms professor I'm ill? I'll be back tomorrow all bright eyed but today I'm ready to fall asleep on my feet."

"Of course," he said weakly. He'd nearly asked her if she was going home for a quick shag with that bastard Potter, but he knew that if he said something like that she'd walk away from him for good and he didn't want that.

"Thank you so much," Hermione smiled at him. "You're a good friend Gordon."

"You'd do the same for me," he said with a shrug.

"Of course, but you'd never skive class," she teased, turning to walk away. "I'll see you this afternoon."

"Enjoy your kip," he said, but she hadn't heard him. She'd already walked away.

There would be a time in the not so distant future when she'd be rushing home to be with him and Potter would just be an unpleasant memory.

*** *** ***

Cho hated the fact that she was being so irritable, but she felt that she must be the most uncomfortable person alive. Her feet were swollen, her head aching, and her baby was continually pressing down on her bladder forcing her to make multiple trips to the loo.

Neville was home until she gave birth, and for that she was glad, yet his constant fussing over her was also driving her mad. "I'm fine," she snapped when he offered her some juice.

"Did you want something to eat then?" Neville asked. "You didn't eat anything for breakfast."

"No," Cho sighed. "I just... I don't know what I want. I want to not be pregnant anymore!"

Neville patted her hand. "I know, but on the bright side, you only have a few more days."

"It feels like forever," Cho grumbled.

"Just think of all the sleep we'll miss in the next couple of years," Neville said, trying to make her laugh. "And then we'll get to chase after her when she tries to get into everything and then there's teething, dirty nappies..."

"It's got to be better than this." Cho said, struggling to get up.

Neville offered her his hand and she glared at him. She obviously wanted to do this by herself. "Let me help you..."

"No, I can actually get up myself," Cho pushed his hand away. "I'm not feeble."

"I know you're not," Neville snapped back at her, and immediately felt remorseful. He just felt as if everything he did lately was getting on her nerves. "I'm just trying to help, Cho."

"I know you are," Cho felt bad. "And I'm sorry..." she put up a hand. "Hold that thought." She waddled off in the direction of the loo.

Neville made himself a sandwich as he waited for his wife to come back. He wished he could do something to make her more comfortable, but it seemed like she just wanted to be left alone. He'd just sat down at the table with his sandwich, juice and a bag of crisps when Cho came back into the kitchen.

"I hate being pregnant," she whined morosely. "It makes me so annoyed, especially being so close to birth! I'm sick and tired of everything- of going to the doctor, of Harry owling every ten minutes, of being kicked and running for the bathroom every five minutes!" she put her face in her hands and began to cry.

Neville stood up and walked over to his wife and hugged her. "It's going to be okay, Cho. Really."

"Will it?" she hugged her husband, burying her face in his shoulder.

"Of course," Neville said, stroking her hair as she sobbed on his shoulder. "Really, Cho. You've come this far. You've just got to hold on a few more days and then we'll get to meet our daughter."

Cho couldn't help but let out a little laugh. "You're right," she kept her head on his shoulder as he kissed her forehead. Part of her was still in disbelief that things had come around the way they had and that Neville was being so unselfish in helping her this way- even going so far as to adopt her baby and make it his. "I love you," she said softly.

"Even when I'm in protective mode?" he asked teasingly, kissing her forehead. "Even when I'm following you around the house asking if you're okay and if there's anything I can do? Merlin, when I think about it like that, I have been pretty annoying, haven't I?"

"Yes," Cho agreed, her smile teasing. "But in the long run I probably wouldn't have it any other way."

"Good," Neville said, giving her a lingering kiss before heading back to the table.

"What did you make?" Cho asked.

"Turkey and cheese on rye," Neville said simply. "Do you want half?"

Cho stared longingly at the food. "Can you make me a whole one?"

"Of course," he said with a laugh as she sat down at the table. "You want everything on it?"

"Everything but tomatoes," Cho replied, grabbing a handful of his crisps.

"Okay," he said, shaking his head. "That means that I get half of yours, too."

"Don't even think about it," Cho said ravenously. "Merlin I'm starving..."

"I'm a little concerned that you may be turning into Ron," Neville said, as he cut her sandwich in half and placed it on a plate.

"Yes well if I was Ron, then I'd still be as slim as I was before I got pregnant," Cho retorted.

Neville laughed and handed Cho her sandwich which she eagerly took. He sat back down beside her and they both ate in silence for a few moments.

"You know what I hate most about being pregnant?" Cho asked.

Neville shook his head. "What?"

"Not being able to dance," Cho replied. "I miss dancing so much. Nothing else I've done in my life- aside of course from marrying you- has ever made me as happy as I've been while dancing."

"I could always tell how much you loved it," Neville said, remembering how he used to watch her and Harry countless times on the dance floor and when they practised. "You'd get this look in your eyes and I don't know how to explain it, but you'd look as if there's nowhere else you'd rather be."

Cho sighed as the baby kicked out again. "That's how I used to feel. So much has changed since last June."

"For all of us," Neville agreed.

"Most of it has been good," Cho smiled.

"Most of it?" Neville asked, trying to look affronted. "I hope that marrying me at least makes it in your top five."

"Are you kidding," Cho smiled. "It's been the best thing by far. And I'm sure once we get an actual honeymoon..." her words were broken off as she grimaced sharply.

"Cho?" Neville asked, a worried expression coming over his face. "What is it?"

"Just some false contractions," Cho shook her head. "I'll be fine soon as they pass."

"Are you sure?" he asked, reverting back to overprotective mode. "Is there anything I can do?"

"I wish there was," she said, her eyes shut tight. "Ooohhhhh..." she finally let out a breath a few minutes later. "Well... this does mean I'm close, very close."

"Go easy on your mum, little one," Neville said, patting Cho's stomach.

"I'm glad I won't be pregnant anymore but I wonder if what lies after this will be even scarier," Cho put her hand on top of his. "We're going to have a baby, in less than a week... another human life to care for."

"I'm not going to say that I'm not scared, because I am," Neville said truthfully. "This is the biggest thing that either of us has ever done and we're not going to know what the hell we're doing most of the time, but we'll learn as we go." With a sly smile, he added. "And with the next four we have, we'll be old pros."

"Excuse me did you just say four? I hope you were planning on carrying and delivering at least three of them," Cho glared at her husband.

"Okay, we can compromise," Neville teased. "How about two more?"

"We'll see," Cho replied. "I'm not making any promises Longbottom."

"Yeah, should probably see how we do with the first one, eh?" he asked.

Cho shook her head but smiled as he grinned at her. "I can't wait to read Luna's article tonight," she took a large bite of sandwich.

"Me too," Neville said. "Maybe it'll shut those wankers at training up....they've been laying it on pretty thick with Harry."

"How has he been taking it?" Cho asked. "Not well if I know him..."

"Not well would be an understatement," Neville said, shaking his head. "I've had to hold him back a few times. What's worse is it's not just the other people in the class, it's the instructors, too."

"Merlin," Cho said. "Maybe he should have Hermione come in and show them a thing or two. I'm sure she knows a good hex that will shut them up."

"Well, hopefully this article will clear everything up everyone and she won't have to resort to such measures," Neville said before finishing his juice.

"I'm glad Luna is writing it for them. I wish we could have been there to see what sort of pictures her friend Michael took," Cho held onto her stomach again as another contraction began.

Neville took her hand and squeezed it until her pain subsided. "Okay now?" he asked softly.

"Thank you," she leaned against him. "You're too good to me Neville."

"I love you, Cho," Neville said smiling at her. "I hope you know by now I'd do anything for you and for the baby."

"You already have," Cho kissed him.

*** *** ***

Luna paced back and forth in her small living room. "I am so nervous," she confessed.

"Why?" Ron asked.

"I just hope I did Harry and Hermione's relationship some justice..." Luna fingered her lucky butterbeer cork necklace. "I mean... they're my friends and I had to stay as objective as I could...."

"I'm sure you did fine," Ron reassured her. "I wish you'd have let me see it before you turned it over to your dad."

"I'm kind of funny about that thing," Luna said as Ron pulled her down on the sofa. "It should be delivered any minute now by owl... to all subscribers..."

"I can't wait to read it," Ron said smiling at her. "I can't believe your dad let you have a four-page spread and the cover story. That's fantastic. Not to mention that you did this all in one day, Luna. I am in awe."

She smiled. "Well... there's not much I wouldn't do for a friend in need. By the looks of it, Harry needs some good publicity."

"And he's going to get it courtesy of one Luna Lovegood," Ron said proudly. "And to celebrate, you and I are going out tonight."

She grinned. "Sounds good to me," she leaned over for a quick kiss.

There was a knocking at the front door that startled both of them. Luna walked quickly over to the door and looked through the peephole to see Michael standing at her front door with a stack of newspapers. Excitedly, she swung open the door and Michael grinned. "Hot off the presses!" he exclaimed.

Luna let out a loud squeal and pulled him inside. "Ron they're here!" she called excitedly.

Ron quickly came forward and said a polite hello to Michael who was still beaming from ear to ear. "The photos turned out fantastic, but your article, Luna...it's absolutely wonderful. Your dad reckons this will be the best seller we've had in years," Michael said.

"I hope Harry and Hermione are pleased with it, that's all that matters to me," Luna grabbed two copies and handed one to her boyfriend.

Ron looked at the front page and saw a huge photograph of Harry and Hermione dancing. Ron laughed. "My best friend is such a show off."

"They were doing that on purpose," Luna nudged him.

Ron's mouth fell open as the photograph Hermione turned and her back was to Harry. He could see properly her icy blue dress that hugged every curve. "Um, well...wow," he said. "She wore that?" he finally asked. "I'll give you three guesses what the two of them did when they got home and the first two don't count."

"Ronald!" Luna said. "My article!!!"

"Oh, yeah," Ron said quickly. "Right."

Meanwhile at the cottage, Hermione was doing some pacing of her own in front of an amused Harry. "You ever hear the expression a watched pot never boils?" he asked her teasingly.

Hermione glared at him. "You're just testy because I wouldn't have sex with you while we waited for the Quibbler to show up."

"I never asked you to," he reminded her. "All I said was that there were better things to do while we waited...if your mind automatically went there, how is that my fault?"

Hermione shook her head. "Because Harry Potter, you have a one track mind and I too often am on the receiving end of it."

"There we have it, I've finally corrupted you," he said triumphantly. "And she used to be so perfect...now she's skiving off not one class, ladies and gentlemen, but her entire afternoon classes as well. Where did we go wrong?"

Hermione had to bite back her smile. "You're one of a kind Potter, thank Merlin for that."

"Yeah," he said, puffing out his chest. "I don't think the world could handle two of me."

"Ugh," Hermione rolled her eyes. "What was I thinking when I decided to get together with you?" her tone turned teasing

"That you couldn't resist me?" he asked, winking at her.

"That could be," Hermione finally stopped pacing and fell onto the sofa beside him.

"You know in case I didn't say it enough last night, you looked fantastic. Everyone kept looking at you and wondering what you were doing with me," he said softly, putting an arm around her.

Hermione leaned in and kissed him. "I'll bet they were really wondering what flavour of the week you were on," she joked.

"Probably," he agreed. "But hopefully the article will convince them otherwise."

At that moment they both heard a tapping on the window. Hermione practically leapt up and grabbed a few coins they had sitting on the table. She paid the owl and raced to sit back down. "I'm so nervous!" she breathed, her heart pounding.

Harry didn't want to admit it, but so was he. There was still a chance that this might make things worse, but he had faith in Luna. He smiled at Hermione as she unfolded the newspaper.

"Wow..." Hermione smiled as she was treated to the large photograph of the two of them dancing, the large headline above saying "The REAL Harry Potter..." and underneath saying "What You Know, What You Don't Know, and What I've Found Out," by Luna Lovegood.

"Wow," Harry commented, looking at the photograph over Hermione's shoulder. "I told you that you looked fantastic."

Hermione smiled. "You don't look so bad yourself." She leaned against him. "You read it," she said.

Harry smiled as he took the newspaper from Hermione and began to read aloud.

What witch or wizard doesn't know who Harry Potter is? His face has appeared on Chocolate Frog cards, his story has been told countless times. His life is that of legend. But who is the real Harry Potter? Is he some attention-seeking tragic hero? Is he a Casanova leaving broken hearts across the world as some of our colleagues in the wizarding press would have you believe?

To find out the real answer, I sat down with Harry Potter in his home. As he was burned recently in other publications, Harry was a little reluctant to give an interview. But, when recent publicity cast people he cared about in a bad light, he decided it was time to set the record straight.

Despite appearances to the contrary, Harry is not out romancing a different girl every night. He is currently involved in a committed, loving relationship with Hermione Jane Granger, a Muggle-born witch educated at Beauxbatons Academy.

While Potter admits that he certainly dated around in the past, that all changed this summer when he met the girl he says changed his life.

The article was interrupted here by a close-up picture of Harry and Hermione smiling happily for the camera. "Luna's absolutely brilliant," Hermione said.

"She sure is," Harry said. "And these photographs Michael took..."

Hermione leaned her head on Harry's shoulder as they saw another picture of them laughing together next to the close-up. "I love when you laugh," she said.

"I should do it more often then," he teased. He began to read the article aloud again.

Harry and Hermione met this summer at a resort where Harry was working as a dance instructor. Hermione, who was on holiday with her parents, first saw Harry in a parking lot at the resort. She didn't know who he was at the time, but remembered thinking he was quite cute.

"Our eyes met across a crowded parking lot," Harry remembers fondly, earning a playful shove in the arm from his girlfriend.

"And then we danced together, it all went uphill from there," Hermione says, sharing a secret smile with Harry.

Their young relationship has had to weather many storms, most recently rumours about his reuniting with ex-girlfriend Isabella Marconi, the world-famous model.

Recent photographs showing Harry and Marconi in a compromising position did not show the real story. Harry insists that he was simply catching up with an old friend who obviously had other ideas. A photographer snapped a picture of Isabella kissing Harry.

"They obviously didn't take a photo of me pushing her away," Harry recalls.

Hermione said she never doubted her boyfriend and vows to stand by him no matter what comes their way. "He's never given me any reason to doubt him," she says firmly, her hand in his. "He came home and told me immediately what happened and I believed him."

Rumours also surfaced that Harry was responsible for the pregnancy of his close friend, Cho Longbottom (Chang).

These are rumours he categorically denies and that he finds the most upsetting. "Say what you want about me," he says. "I could care less, but when you bring my friends into it..." his voice trails off.

Friendship means more to Harry than anything. Not having a family of his own, he made his own from his circle of friends. With Hermione, that circle is now complete.

"I think Hermione is definitely the woman I've been searching for all my life," he smiles at her. "She really brings out the best in me."

"We bring out the best in each other," Hermione agrees. "Things aren't always perfect, of course, but at the end of the day, we have each other and that's all that either of us really has ever wanted."

Their hectic schedules have posed a problem, too. Hermione is continuing her studies at a local university and Harry is in his first year of Auror training.

"We try to keep a few hours a day aside just to be together," Hermione says. "Of course, that's not always possible, but we make do where we can."

"We also spend a lot of time with friends, and my parents, who are Muggle dentists, also have had the chance to get to know Harry quite well."

And you've heard it here first, readers, there is something Harry Potter doesn't excel at....the Muggle sport of golf. He took the sport up to get to know Hermione's dad and so far his skills on the course are quite limited, he readily admits.

"I am determined to get better at it," Harry says with a laugh. "But right now I'm bloody awful. It's quite embarrassing actually."

"My father gave him a book on golf for Christmas, and I'm sure he's hoping that Harry will have picked up a few pointers on it by the time the weather gets nice again," Hermione laughs.

Harry turned the page to reveal an all new set of photographs. "Look at that," Harry said, pointing to a photo of Hermione's head resting on his shoulder that must have been taken at the end of the night.

"He's a wonderful photographer," Hermione smiled. "We should really do something nice for the both of them Harry."

"We should," Harry nodded. "I can't believe how well it's all turned out."

If Gordon thought his day couldn't get any worse, he was quite mistaken. Not only had Hermione not been in their afternoon classes, she hadn't even called or owled him to let him know she was okay.

He was in such a bad mood, he'd forgotten about Hermione asking him to purchase The Quibbler that evening. He didn't usually read that particular newspaper anyway and just figured it was something glorifying Potter again.

He'd just walked into his flat and poured himself a glass of juice when there was a loud knocking on the door. Gordon groaned as he set his glass down on the counter and made his way to the door.

He opened it and saw his friend from the Daily Prophet, Andrew Murphy, standing before him. He was clutching a newspaper in his hand and he didn't look happy at all.

"Andrew," Gordon said disinterestedly. "What brings you by?"

"I don't suppose you've seen this?" Andrew shoved the Quibbler at him.

Andrew breezed past Gordon and with a heavy sigh, Gordon closed the door and unfolded the newspaper. The sight before him sent his blood boiling.

"What the hell is this?" he asked, looking at the large photo on the front of the paper.

"Exactly what it looks like," Andrew snapped. "I nearly got sacked tonight from MY fucking job because of the supposedly 'truthful' tips you've been giving me, that turned out to be NOT so true after all!"

Gordon didn't even hear Andrew, his eyes were focused on those photographs of Potter pawing at Hermione, who just seemed to let him do what ever he wanted.

The Hermione in the photograph spun around in her low-cut blue dress and Gordon clutched the paper tighter in his hands. It was like she was taunting him.

"This isn't her," Gordon said staring at the girl in the photograph. "Oh, I know it's her, but it's not really her. Do you see what he's done to her? She looks...she's...he's turned her into a tart. The girl I know would never do something like this, Andrew. This isn't her!"

"I beg to differ Gordon," Andrew said. "She's the one who orchestrated this with Luna Lovegood at the Quibbler. This is all OVER the place and it's reflecting horribly on us at the Prophet." He stood up abruptly. "Just because you've got a thing for this girl-"

"THIS IS YOUR FAULT!" Gordon shouted throwing the paper to the ground and grabbing his friend by the collar. He shoved Andrew against the wall. "I GAVE YOU EVERYTHING TO NAIL POTTER TO THE WALL ON THIS AND YOU BLEW IT!"

"You gave me FALSE information!" Andrew snapped back.

Gordon released his grip on Andrew and walked away. "She believed him, Andrew. After all he's done to her, she still believes him. What I don't understand is why? Why won't she see what he's doing to her?"

"Why do you care?" Andrew straightened his robes out.

Gordon laughed. "I care because I love her and she loves me, Andrew."

Andrew stared at him for a long moment. "She doesn't love you Gordon. She loves Harry Potter. She wouldn't have done all this if she didn't. And she bloody LIVES with him, not you!"

"Yeah, well we'll see how long that lasts," Gordon said defiantly, an evil glint in his eye. "If it wasn't for him, she'd be with me."

The journalist began to feel slightly afraid. "You don't know that," he said.

Gordon ignored his friend. "No matter what I do to make him look bad, he always gets her to see that it wasn't his fault or that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. And she buys it every time. I need to do something to get her away from him so she won't believe his lies anymore."

Andrew's jaw fell open. "What the hell are you thinking Gordon?" he asked.

Gordon's eyes clouded over as he thought about what he could possibly do; what would possibly work. "Never you mind, Andrew. This is between Hermione and me. No one else."

"If you're planning on doing something-" Andrew started.

"DON'T YOU THREATEN ME!" Gordon exclaimed furiously. "If you say one fucking word about me, I'll tell anyone who'll listen how you cheated your way through school. You wouldn't be able to write your way out of a paper bag with all that I have on you."

Andrew shook his head. "If you're planning on kidnapping or something like that I can't keep quiet! Damn it Gordon! You're obsessed can't you see that?"

"Obsessed?" Gordon asked, shaking his head. "I'm not obsessed. I want what is best for her and Harry Potter isn't it."

"That's for HER to decide not you!" Andrew said, his hands shaking.

"And when did you all of a sudden get all moral?" Gordon said with a laugh. "You'd sell your soul for the perfect story. You said so yourself."

"This goes above and beyond being moral," Andrew said, grabbing his bag and moving towards the door.

"You'd better keep quiet," Gordon said, coming up behind his friend. "It would be unfortunate if something should happen to you..."

"Are you threatening me?" Andrew asked, growing angrier at Gordon's attitude.

"I wouldn't call it threatening," Gordon said calmly. "I'd say I was warning you. There's a big difference."

Andrew glared at him before pulling out of his grip and slamming the door behind him.

Gordon slowly picked up the crumpled up newspaper at his feet. He ran his fingers along the photograph of Hermione. "This isn't you," he whispered, tracing along her face with his finger. "But don't worry..."

His voice trailed off as he tore the photograph in half. "You'll be with me soon enough. My Hermione...my sweet, innocent Hermione."