Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Hmmm....it's a little funny how Gordo wasn't even in the chapter, but his name popped up in almost all of the reviews...he's the villain you love to hate, or hate to hate...either way...we've grown a bit fond of him since we sort of have envisioned him as Jude Law. And we apologize to anyone who had to visit the dentist as a result of our overly sweet/fluffy chapter. Please read and review!

Harry stretched luxuriously, his arms moving over the top of the thick cover he'd brought to the cabin earlier in the week. It had stayed warm in the room due to the fireplace and their rigorous sexual activities of the previous evening. He turned and smiled at the sight of a still peacefully sleeping Hermione. Harry lightly brushed back a few stray hairs that had fallen into her face and was about to curl in closer to her when he heard her mobile phone start to ring.

Hermione had gotten it just a few days previous, mainly to keep in touch with her parents but also so she could ring the house and let him know if she was staying out late with her schoolmates. Harry got up with a groan, not waking his girlfriend up, and dug into her bag until he found the phone. "Hallo?" he asked, careful to keep the annoyance out of his voice in case it was Robert or Elinore.

At first the person on the other end of the line didn't speak. After another pause, a man's voice gruffly said, "Let me speak to Hermione."

"She's sleeping," Harry replied. "Who is this?"

"Gordon," he responded. "I really need to speak with her. Could you please wake her up?"

Harry scoffed. "No, actually I can't. We had a late night..." the phone fuzzed briefly.

"I really need to speak with her now," Gordon said crossly. "Where are you anyway? I tried to reach her at home, but..."

"We're out, you know, being as it's a holiday weekend," Harry replied smugly.

"Out where?" Gordon asked. "She and I had plans, you know."

"You had plans?" Harry asked incredulously.

"Touch a nerve, did I?" Gordon asked icily. "You do realize that you're not the only person in her life, don't you? Her life doesn't revolve around you."

"I know that," Harry returned coldly. "I don't try and control people."

Gordon laughed. "Why don't you wake her up and ask her if she wants to speak to me then?"

"Because we had a busy night, and she'll wake up when she's ready to," Harry snapped. "I suppose if you had a girlfriend then you'd have been busy as well."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Gordon asked hotly.

Harry rolled his eyes, "Look Gordon, I'm not going to wake her up. If you want to talk to her, you'd better call her later tonight or see her tomorrow."

Before Gordon could respond, Harry angrily turned the phone off. Hermione stirred as he sat back down on the bed. "Hmmm," she said groggily. "What are you doing out of bed?"

"Your mobile was ringing so I turned it off," Harry replied, putting it back in her bag.

She yawned as she sat up in bed. "Who was it?"

"I couldn't tell... the reception up here is horrible." he fibbed.

Hermione nodded. "Come on back in here with me then," she said, pulling back the covers. "It's cold in here without you."

Harry grinned as he crawled back into bed. "Sleep well?" he asked, kissing the side of her head as she curled into his arms.

"Like a baby," she said softly. "Then again, I always did in this bed."

Harry held her tighter. "I love you," he said, his nose still buried in her hair.

"I love you," she whispered back. "Mmhmm....how long do we have until we have to leave?"

"We can leave anytime," Harry replied. "Although, we'll probably go soon- the kitchens are all closed up and there's no food."

"Who needs food?" she asked huskily, leaning in and kissing his neck.

Harry laughed. "I'm only hungry for one thing right now."

"And what would that be?" she asked coyly.

"You, Ms. Granger." Harry replied. "Just you."

*** *** ***

"And so Gordon's been at our bloody house almost every evening," Harry grumbled as he deflected a spell sent by Neville, and blasting one back in turn.

"What are they working on?" Neville asked.

"Some project," Harry shrugged. "I don't know what it's about. But I'd just like to go home for one evening and not have his presence around our place. And if he's not there, then Hermione's over working somewhere else with him." He shuddered at the thought of his girlfriend alone in Gordon's flat.

"You don't think he'd do anything to her, do you?" Neville asked, as he dodged another one of Harry's spells. "It's obvious he fancies her, but anyone with half a brain would know she's only into you."

"He'd better not," Harry replied grimly. "I'll bloody kill him if he does!"

Harry's last words were said louder than he'd intended and a few of their fellow classmates looked in his direction. "So, is she still mad at you about not telling her that he called when you were at Hillsdale?" he asked hoping to keep his friend's emotions in check.

"No," Harry replied. "I told her the phone reception was off and I could hardly hear him, which is only half true."

"He's definitely a piece of work," Neville said, shaking his head. "I can't believe Hermione doesn't see it."

"I don't understand it either," Harry said, sending another series of spells at Neville.

Neville was out of breath as he tried unsuccessfully to dodge the spells. Most of them left him knocked flat on the floor. "Harry, I know you're angry at this Gordon bloke, but do try and remember I'm not him."

"Sorry," Harry said sheepishly.

"No problem," Neville said, dusting himself off. "So, you and Hermione are doing okay, though, right?"

"We're fine," Harry replied. "We've both been busy these last few weeks but yeah, we're good."

"I'm so glad that you and Longbottom have decided to use this class to discuss your personal lives," Thackeray said coldly, coming up behind them. "As much as you like to think everyone cares about every little thing you do, Potter, you'll find that you're not as important as you think you are."

"I don't think that," Harry snapped. "When did I ever say that?" his tone was demanding.

"Temper, temper, Potter," Thackeray said, shaking his head. "That temper of yours could cost you one day. You ought to be careful."

Harry glared at him and felt Neville's hand on his arm. "What the hell is your problem?" Harry finally felt his patience with the instructor snap.

"My problem is little boys like you who think they should get a free ride because of their last name or some silly scar on their forehead," Thackeray said, getting in Harry's face. "Go ahead, Potter. You want to hit me? Go right ahead. You can check yourself right out of the program with one punch."

Harry shook his head, a snide smile gracing his face. "You know something Thackeray? We've got one week of training left until you can start terrorizing a new group of Aurors. I've put up with you this long and I will continue to put up with you because I know I can get through this. I've NEVER used my name to try and get anywhere and I'm not about to start now."

Thackeray opened his mouth to respond, but he stopped when he caught sight of someone standing in the doorway of the classroom. "Remus, what brings you here?" Thackeray said with much less bravado.

"Just making a routine check in," Remus replied mildly, looking at Thackeray and then Harry.

"The teams were just running over some duelling for their practical exams," Thackeray said, stepping away from Harry.

"All right," Remus said. "I'll stick around, I'm curious about this bunch coming into my course in the next few weeks."

Thackeray forced a smile in Harry and Neville's direction. "You're more than welcome, Remus. I'll just check on some of the other students." He walked away, but not without turning and shooting Harry a menacing look.

"Everything okay, Harry?" Remus asked once Thackeray was out of earshot.

"Everything's okay," Harry said, unclenching his fists and cooling down.

"Only one more week of him," Neville said as he watched Thackeray interacting with the other students. "

"I know," Harry stared at the instructor with immense dislike.

"You might be happy to know that he'll be transferred to Bulgaria by the end of the week," Remus said, keeping his voice low so only Harry and Neville could hear him. "Kingsley just put in the transfer orders today."

"Why is he being transferred?" Harry asked, curiously and quietly.

"There's been some question as to his qualifications," Remus said, his voice barely above a whisper. "There's some inconsistencies in his background that Kingsley dug up. He may have used some less than credible means to get into the Auror program himself."

Neville was nearly beaming from ear to ear by the time Remus finished telling them. "It's a shame we can't be there when they tell him," Neville said with a laugh.

"Can we be there?" Harry asked Remus. "Please? I'll do just about anything to see that!"

Remus couldn't help laughing. "I know you would, but technically you aren't supposed to know about this," he said seriously.

"Well at least you'll give us some details about how this goes right?" Harry asked, with a smile finally appearing on his face.

"You can count on it," Remus said with a gleam in his eyes. "And if you're thinking of using that old invisibility cloak of James', Harry...remember that Moody's going to be in the meeting as well, so I'd rethink that plan of yours, if I were you."

"Right," Harry felt much better as Remus grinned at them and moved to inspect another group

"Look at him," Neville said, motioning toward Thackeray who was talking with Matt. "The bloody bastard has no idea!"

"That really made my day," Harry chuckled.

"Too bad we can't see it, though," Neville said with a laugh.

"Might be just as well," Harry said thoughtfully. "I mean... would you be able to keep from laughing your arse off when they tell him?"

"No," Neville admitted. "We'd give ourselves away, wouldn't we?"

"Too right you are," Harry raised his wand. "I suddenly feel quite rejuvenated."

"Why do I not have a good feeling about this?" Neville asked, as Harry took aim.

*** *** ***

Gordon watched as Hermione studied intently over her notes. They'd been studying alone in her cottage for over two hours and he was on Cloud Nine.

Since acquiring her keys, Gordon had spent time in the cottage and neither Harry nor Hermione knew about it. Since the one time he'd been exposed to the disgusting sight of Potter necking Hermione, he'd been careful about making sure they would be elsewhere for a long period of time before he would come over.

Gordon felt like he knew everything about Hermione now- what sort of shampoo she used, what her pillow and sheets smelled like, what sort of clothes she liked best, what books she had stored up in the spare room; he only wished that she kept some sort of journal but any searches for that sort of item had come up fruitless.

"Sorry," he said, when he noticed she was looking expectantly at him. "What was that you said?"

"I asked if you'd finished question three," Hermione replied.

"No," he said, shaking his head and looking at the workbook in front of him. "I'm still hung up on question two."

"These are really difficult," Hermione said absently.

"Tell me about it," Gordon agreed. He wasn't really concentrating on the work in front of him. His mind was dancing with images of he and Hermione finally being together. Gordon and Hermione both were startled when they heard the front door spring open.

"HERMIONE!" Harry called out.

"Harry?" Hermione got up from the sofa.

He was barely in the living room when he saw her and he scooped her up in his arms and swung her around. His lips captured hers in a fiery kiss and he hadn't even noticed Gordon sitting there.

"What's all this about?" Hermione laughed as Harry set her down. She hadn't seen him in this good a mood since Valentine's Day.

"Thackeray's going to be sacked," Harry said happily. "Not really sacked, of course, but transferred to Bulgaria. He'll be lucky if they let him clean up dragon dung."

"When did that happen?" Hermione pulled away, not wanting to create a spectacle in front of Gordon.

"It's happening as we speak," Harry said. He explained what Lupin had told them earlier. "Neville and I wanted to see it in person, but Remus said he'd come by tonight with a full report."

Gordon cleared his throat and Harry's smile faded. "Sounds to me as if this Auror program is flawed if they're letting people train with false credentials," he said crisply. "I mean, Hermione, when you make Minister for Magic, you're really going to have to work on reforming this program."

Hermione blushed. "I probably won't be Minister for another thirty years at least. Hopefully, they'll have it in order by the time I'm in office."

"Nonsense," Gordon replied. "With your ideas and brains, there's no question you could take that office anytime you wanted."

Hermione smiled. "Well, that's just if you don't beat me to it first. You'd be great at it, too."

"I doubt it," Gordon said. "I've no desire to be Minister for Magic... especially since I know someone better is right here." he smiled at her, ecstatic at the look on Potter's face as their conversation eluded him completely.

Harry folded his arms as he watched his girlfriend and Gordon engage in their Mutual Admiration Society banter.

"You're just being modest, Gordon," Hermione was saying.

"So are you," Gordon replied. "There's no one tougher than you Hermione- you certainly proved that when you made the Daily Prophet eat their words not so long ago."

"It wasn't just me," Hermione said, winking at Harry, finally making an effort to include him in the conversation.

Harry forced a smile at her. "Well if you hadn't gotten Luna to write that article..." he finally said.

"It was a team effort all the way around," Hermione said, smiling at him. She didn't notice Gordon's face as she hugged Harry tightly.

"So..." Gordon replied. "Think we'll finish up that worksheet tonight or did you want to meet before classes tomorrow Hermione?"

She let go of Harry and looked thoughtfully at her friend. "Would it be okay if we called it a night?"

"Certainly," Gordon smiled tightly at her. "You can always ring me if you want to go over anything- I should be home the rest of the evening."

"Of course," Hermione said, watching as he gathered up his belongings. "Do you want me to walk you out?"

"I know the way," Gordon replied. "Good seeing you... Harry. And I'll see you tomorrow Hermione."

"Yeah, you too," Harry said with false politeness.

"Take care, Gordon," Hermione said giving him a warm smile.

Gordon kept his smile firmly in place until the front door had closed behind him and he was down the street. "Damn you Potter," he cursed softly. Everything had been going fine between him and Hermione until Potter had showed back up at home. Hermione was warming up to him, and not just as a friend, he knew it. She was finally opening up and seeing him as a romantic partner. "It's only a matter of time," he said, slipping his hand into his pocket and touching a silky scarf he'd taken from her closet. He lifted it out and closed his eyes as her scent permeated his nose. "Only a matter of time..."

*** *** ***

Luna tagged behind Michael as he led them upstairs to another flat, or as the Americans called them, apartment. "What sort of place are you looking for?" she asked. "I mean… that last flat was very nice…"

Michael shrugged. "It was okay, but it's a little out of my price range at the moment," he said. He looked at the piece of paper in his hand. "This one is one bedroom, one bathroom, nice kitchen, and it's close to the office."

"This is... cute...." Luna replied. It was a little masculine for her taste, and far too bare but then again, it was an empty flat.

Michael nodded. "I think with some work I could definitely see myself living here."

Luna smiled at him. "So you really think you're going to stay on?" she asked.

"Yeah," he said enthusiastically. "I think I pretty much knew the moment we arrived that this was what I wanted to do; where I wanted to be." He looked at her and saw that her mind was elsewhere. "But you're having doubts, aren't you?" he asked.

Luna nodded and leaned against a counter. "I hate being so far from home all the time... I mean, don't get me wrong, Boston has been absolutely fantastic... but it's just not where I want to be, at least I don't think I do..."

Michael gave her a reassuring smile. "You miss him, don't you?"

"Is it that obvious?" Luna asked.

"Just a little," he said with a laugh. "I've caught you staring at that picture of the two of you on your desk about a thousand times."

"I don't want to bother you about it," Luna said awkwardly. "I mean... you and I... and then Ron and I..."

"You and I are still friends, right?" he asked her. "No matter what happened or didn't happen between us, I still consider you one of my closest friends, Luna."

"That's so sweet," Luna smiled at him. "I think the same thing about you Michael." she set her bag on the counter. "To be honest, that's all what's making this situation so difficult. You and I work so well together... I don't want to lose you as a partner yet I miss my home and my family back in England."

"You can still visit them, you know," Michael said. He certainly could sympathize with her feeling homesick, but he didn't want to lose her either. "That's one of the perks of magic."

"I know but it's just not the same." Luna replied as Michael began to look around the rest of the small flat. "I can't Apparate all the way across the ocean, I have to take portkeys and have them set up and if I miss them I miss my way home until another one can be set up. I have to go back and forth and while it's not as burdensome as Muggle travel it's still difficult... yet this is what I've always dreamed about doing. Writing for the Quibbler is wonderful, but this is what I truly dreamed of doing all my life."

"Have you talked about this with Ron?" he asked her. "Perhaps he could move here with you?"

"He can't," Luna said. "He's now the manager of his brother's Diagon Alley joke shop while they work mostly out of their Hogsmeade one... he can't leave."

Michael felt genuinely bad for Luna. He could tell this was tearing her apart and he hated to see her like this. "We're going to have to give them a decision soon, Luna," Michael said. "You heard the editors today. They really like what we're doing. My guess is they're going to make us a permanent offer soon." He looked around at the flat. "Which is why I'm looking for places to stay other than that lovely, reasonably priced motel they'd had you and I staying at."

Luna tried to smile. "You're right," she said. "I guess I'll figure something out one way or the other. Ron's being so great about this... he told me he'd support any decision I made."

Michael nodded. "If I get a vote, I hope you stay," he said giving her a warm smile. "I'll need you here to keep me in line."

Luna laughed. "Please, as if you have any troubles staying in line," she teased. "And if I'm not here to do it, I'm sure that one girl Katie that works across from your office will."

"Are you mad?" Michael asked, shaking his head. "That girl doesn't like me, Luna. She's barely said two words to me since we started."

"She's a bit shy," Luna explained. "I was talking to her and apparently she's got quite a fixation for accents."

"Really?" he asked surprised, but pleased. "I guess I'll do fairly well here then."

Luna smiled, glad to see his possible interest in another girl. "Shall I put in a good word for you?" she nudged his shoulder with hers.

"That'd be nice," he said, nudging her back. "And for all your help this afternoon, Miss Lovegood, how about an ice cream sundae...my treat?"

"That sounds fabulous," Luna replied, taking his proffered arm. "I want fudge and peanuts on mine."

He grinned as he shut the door behind them. "Fudge and peanuts, eh? I hope you realize I don't go all out like that for just any girl, you know," he said teasingly.

"That's good," Luna's eyes were now twinkling. "So that means when I talk to Katie about you, she can expect fudge, peanuts AND whip cream?"

"No, that's just for you," he said, glad to see that she seemed to be in lighter spirits. "Katie and I will have to have something else. Perhaps she might like banana splits or milkshakes?"

"Perhaps," Luna smiled. "Maybe in a week right about now if all goes well you two will be on a date."

"And hopefully she won't be hung up on her ex-boyfriend and break my heart like this blonde reporter I know," Michael teased. "Broke my heart and trampled it into a million tiny pieces."

Luna stood still in the middle of the pavement. "Oh Michael that's not what it was like was it?" she felt horrible.

"I was joking, Luna," Michael said, putting an arm around her. "You only broke my heart in about a thousand pieces actually."

"Goodness," Luna replied. "Don't tease me like that Michael!" she smiled at him to let him know she wasn't serious.

"Okay, okay," he said smiling at her. "Come on, there's a sundae with peanuts and fudge waiting for you."

"All right," Luna kissed his cheek as they walked towards the ice cream parlour.

*** *** ***

A few days later, Harry and Hermione were walking along Diagon Alley enjoying an unseasonably warm day. Hermione wanted to visit Lavender to see some of her new designs and Harry had to pick up a few things for the next training rotation that would start next week.

"Have I mentioned how glad I am that Thackeray is nothing but a bad memory?" Harry asked his girlfriend as they passed Ollivander's.

"Only three times in the past ten minutes," Hermione laughed, squeezing her arm around Harry's waist. "It's good to see you so excited about your Auror training again."

"I definitely am," he said, pulling her close. "And having a week off before the next rotation begins is even better. I just wish you had it off, too."

"Same here," Hermione leaned against him. "It's a shame our breaks are at different times."

"I'm glad you came along with me today," he said. "I feel as if I've hardly seen you these past few days."

Hermione looked up at him. "I'm sorry I've been so busy," she apologised. "But I promise this weekend, all the books will be put aside and it'll be just you and me."

He grinned at her. "What did you have in mind?"

"You'll have to wait till this weekend to find out," Hermione teased, kissing him lightly on the lips.

"I like the sound of that," he said as they reached Madam Malkin's. "I'll just head on over to Flourish & Blotts while you visit with Lavender."

"All right," Hermione gave him another kiss. "Don't be too long Harry... I want to get back home and have my way with you before class this afternoon."

"Do you now?" he asked. "I think I may be a bad influence on you, Miss Granger."

"That depends on how one views the term 'bad' here," Hermione said softly, her brown eyes glowing.

He laughed. "I couldn't agree more. So, I guess I'll be really quick in the book shop and then you can take me home and do with me what you will."

"Exactly," Hermione replied.

"Give Lavender my best," he said, as he watched her enter Madam Malkin's.

A few moments later, he was walking through the front doors of Flourish & Blotts. To his delight, the store wasn't crowded which meant he should be able to get in and out of here quickly. He pulled out a piece of parchment from his trousers pocket. Quickly scanning the list, he made his way toward the back of the store. He saw a salesgirl stocking some shelves with her back to him. He tapped her on the shoulder.

"Can I help you?" the girl turned around.

Harry looked at her. The girl looked quite familiar, but he couldn't place where he'd seen her before.

Her eyes widened a slight bit. "Harry right? I met you at your friend's wedding back in December." she stuck out her hand. "Skylar... I came with Gordon Devereaux?"

Harry couldn't stop himself from flinching at the mention of Gordon's name. "That's right," he said, nodding. "It's nice to see you again."

"So how have you been?" she asked, looking at the list in his hand. "You're still with Hermione I see- I read the article in the Quibbler."

"Aye," Harry said, smiling at the mention of Hermione. "We've both been great actually. Busy, but great. How about you?"

"Not bad," Skylar smiled as she pulled several of the books he would need off the shelf. "Been keeping busy and I'm seeing this really great guy named Kevin."

Harry looked down at her in surprise. "Kevin? But, I thought you were still seeing Gordon?"

Skylar made a face. "I hope you're kidding. I haven't seen him since the wedding... what a troll he turned out to be."

"But he...," Harry started to say. "He told us that you'd gone out loads of times since then."

Skylar looked surprised. "I wonder why he'd say something like that... honestly- after the wedding he pretty much walked away from me right outside the restaurant without even bothering to make sure I knew my way home." she leaned in closer to Harry. "I don't really know if this is my place to say this..."

Harry patted her arm. "Skylar, if you know something about him, please tell me..."

"I think he fancies your girlfriend," she replied quietly. "I mean... I don't really know that for sure, but he didn't take his eyes off her that whole night. I said something to him about it outside and that's when he stormed away from me."

"What did you say to him?" Harry asked.

"I just told him that if he was looking for a girl like her, that he should look elsewhere, because it was obvious that she only has eyes for you." Skylar shrugged. "He got so angry about it."

"Did he frighten you?" Harry asked, trying to keep his own emotions in check.

"A little," Skylar shrugged. "I don't want to scare you or your girlfriend but I think he seemed a little obsessed."

"A little obsessed?" Harry repeated. Everything seemed to be falling into place. Lavender and Seamus' spotting Gordon outside the cottage that night. Gordon's strange phone call to Hermione's mobile. Gordon hanging around Hermione every chance he could get.

"I'm sorry," Skylar said. "I don't want to cause any trouble for either one of you-"

"No, you haven't," Harry said quickly, giving her a smile. "I appreciate you telling me. Hermione's been a little too trusting where he's concerned."

"Okay," Skylar finished ringing up his books. "Well... I don't know him very well and now that I went out with him once I don't know what I ever saw in Gordon Devereaux to begin with. And I really hope he doesn't cause any trouble for you both." she smiled at him. "You both seem really happy together."

"We are," Harry said, returning her smile. He and Hermione were very happy together and Harry intended to keep it that way. "Thank you, Skylar. Take care of yourself."

"You too Harry," Skylar replied. "It was nice seeing you again."

Harry took the bag from her and walked quickly back toward Madam Malkin's to find Hermione. He found her standing at the back counter talking animatedly to Lavender.

"Hi, Harry," Lavender said warmly. "What's with the sour expression?"

"Hi, Lav," Harry said distractedly. "Hermione, I need to talk to you about something."

"Okay," Hermione gave him a strange look. "Lav, we'll see you later right?"

"Of course," Lavender said wondering what had Harry in such a state, but she figured Hermione would tell her later.

Harry and Hermione left the shop and Harry pulled her briskly down the pavement. "Okay what's going on here?" she pulled him to a stop.

"You're not going to believe who I just saw and what they just told me," he said, leading her toward a bench.

"Who?" Hermione asked.

"Skylar," Harry replied. "Did you know that she and Gordon only had one date? The way he talked, you'd have thought the two of them were on the verge of being engaged, but...why are you looking at me like that?"

"Why on earth were you talking to HER?" Hermione wore an expression of disgust. "She was probably trying to cheat on her current boyfriend with YOU."

"What?" Harry asked in disbelief. "What are you talking about? I ran into her in the shop. She helped me find my books and she told me she was seeing this new bloke named Kevin. Needless to say, I was quite surprised to hear this. She, however, was quite surprised to hear that we thought she and Gordon were still dating."

"Well who are you going to believe, this girl that you've met twice in your life or Gordon, whom you've known for awhile now?" Hermione crossed her arms, readying herself for another argument about her friend.

"I don't know him at all, Hermione," Harry said crossly. "And from what Skylar told me, I don't think you know him as well as you think you do. He's been lying to you all this time."

"Gordon wouldn't lie to me," Hermione replied coolly.

Harry shook his head. The last thing he wanted to do was fight with her, but he couldn't understand her blind faith in someone who obviously didn't deserve it. "He's done nothing, but lie."

"Where's your proof?" Hermione asked, her tone becoming more and more cool. "Honestly Harry, it's no secret to me that you don't like Gordon but you could at least stop trying to feed me stories about him. I'm NOT going to stop being friends with him simply because you have it in your head that he's trying to steal me away from you!"

"You think I'm feeding you stories?" he asked hotly. "So I guess you're going to believe his word over the man you claim to love?"

"Claim to love?" That made Hermione angry. "How could you say I only claim to love you Harry Potter?"

"How could YOU say I was feeding you stories?" he asked her. "I'd never lie to you, Hermione."

That made her stop a moment. "Look, Harry..." Hermione began. "This is obviously something you and I will have to agree to disagree on. Gordon is my FRIEND, nothing more. He knows that and he values me the same way."

She was kidding herself if she thought he'd let it go just by agreeing to disagree. He intended to find out more about Gordon Devereaux. If Hermione wanted proof, he'd give her proof. "You mean everything to me," he said, his tone softer, but quite serious. "I'd do anything to protect you and keep you safe."

"There's nothing you have to worry about," Hermione's tone was also more gentle. "I'm not in any danger Harry."

Harry wasn't so sure about that, but he forced a smile for her benefit. "I hate fighting with you," he said, taking her hand.

"Same here," Hermione replied.

He cupped her face in his hands and leaned in and gently kissed her. "Ready to go home?" he whispered.

"Definitely," she said softly, kissing him again before getting up. She loved Harry more than anything, but she knew he was wrong about Gordon. Even as she thought this, the memory of Gordon almost kissing her floated back up and Hermione forced it down again. He had been nothing but courteous since then and she knew he only thought of her as a friend.