Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: Thanks again for the great response we received on the last chapter! Please keep it coming! We live for reviews! And to those of you who expressed concern about Gordon Devereaux...we just have a word of warning to you...be afraid, be very, very afraid..."

Ron found himself outside the office of the Quibbler a day later. He knew Harry and Neville had told him to wait and let Luna cool down but he couldn't. He was even ready to disclose his plans about finding a place for the both of them if it meant she'd come back to him. Taking a deep breath, he pushed the door open.

He held a rose in his hands like before, and let his most woebegone expression appear on his face. Ron had to stop himself from trembling as he approached her desk slowly. "Hi Luna," he said, stopping in front of her.

Luna looked up in surprise. "Ronald," she said coolly.

He noticed she did not look worse for wear like the last time they argued and that bothered him. "Can I talk to you?"

"I'm actually quite busy," she said, shuffling some papers on her desk.

"Well... can you take a break- or do you have one coming up where we can talk?" Ron asked.

Luna sat back in her chair and sighed. "What more could you possibly have to say?"

"I'm sorry?" Ron regretted that it came out like a question. "I didn't mean what I said."

"I'd like to believe you," Luna said honestly. "But, we've been here before, Ron. You do something that hurts me and you come around with a rose and say sweet things and I give you another chance. But, I invariably end up getting clobbered. I'm tired of going through that again and again. A person can only take so much."

Ron stared in panic as she got up and began to walk away from her desk. "But I didn't mean it!" he said. "I was being stupid and a daft git."

Despite herself, Luna couldn't help a smile from forming at her lips. He always could make her laugh. But, it wasn't enough. "What do you mean?" she asked, turning around and looking at him.

Ron stood with his mouth open for a moment, trying to figure out what to say so that she'd listen to him. "I want to be with you," he said. "It's just that... all this talk about settling down and being married scares me. There are other things I want to do first." Ron realised he'd said the wrong thing yet again.

Luna stared at him feeling the anger boiling up inside her yet again. She cursed herself for not telling him to leave the moment he'd walked in the door. "I should have known," Luna said shaking her head. "I should have known. You are unbelievable, Ronald!"

"No! That didn't come out the way I meant it to!" Ron sighed when she went into that blasted room. It had all gone so perfectly in his head- him telling her how he wanted to move in with her, see how they liked living together before they took the next step of the relationship. It was just a damn shame his mouth could never work with his brain.

He decided he would try again- he went back to Luna's desk and sat down in her chair, determined to wait her out.

A few minutes later, Luna did come out of the room, but she wasn't alone. At her side was a tall, athletic looking bloke with dark olive skin and brown hair. Luna was chatting animatedly with him, but she stopped in her tracks when she saw that Ron was sitting at her desk.

Ron stared at her, nodding as he literally felt his heart break in two. He tossed the rose down on top of her paperwork and strode from the office, not looking back once.

*** *** ***

The following Saturday found Harry and Hermione at her parents' house for dinner. Harry and Robert had finally gotten around to playing another round of golf and at the moment Robert was regaling his family with how badly Harry had done yet again on the golf course that afternoon. Hermione looked across the table at Harry and had to give it to him. She knew he hated to fail at anything, but he seemed to be taking it all in stride. He'd even managed to contribute some jokes at his own expense.

"And after that," Robert continued merrily. "I think there are more chunks of grass missing from the course than if they had an attack of gophers." he laughed as did the rest of the family, Harry included.

"Can we talk about something else besides golf?" Lavender asked. "Honestly, what kind of satisfaction do you get from hitting a little white ball with a metal stick?"

"That's what I've been wondering myself," Harry joked.

"I imagine he's holding back on you, Robert," Elinore said laughing. "I bet Harry's really good at it and just doesn't want to make you look bad."

Hermione grinned. "Mum I think it's just the fact that is really IS bad," she laughed at the look on his face. "Sorry love."

"In my defence, I have only played it twice," Harry said smirking at Hermione. "I imagine if I kept at it, I'd improve. I seem to remember a certain someone with two left feet before she took lessons from a certain dance instructor."

Harry scratched his chin. "Who could that have been?"

"Ha, ha." Hermione sent him a glare.

"She gets that from her mother," Robert interjected.

Hermione couldn't help beaming at her father. She couldn't believe how far they'd all come. There was a time when she'd never believed that this was possible. Her father and Harry not only were acting civil towards each other, but Hermione knew that they were actually enjoying each other's company. It wasn't just because they felt an obligation to be nice because of Hermione. Hermione knew it was because they genuinely liked each other. A part of her wanted to scream out "I told you so!"

Harry grinned back at her, moving his foot under the table so it touched hers. "This vegetable casserole is fantastic Robert," he complimented. "I wish Hermione had gotten some of your cooking genes."

"Unfortunately for you," Robert said, "She also got that from her mother too."

"Hey!" Hermione said. "Harry, I made you a perfectly fine lasagne last week. And you didn't have any complaints then."

"Very true," he caught Lavender's eye; she was laughing silently. "But it would be nice if you were able to do more than just dishes." his eyes twinkled at Hermione

"Keep this up and you'll be sleeping on the sofa," Lavender teased. Her comments, though, weren't met with laughter, but with silence. Lavender regretted saying this because she had a feeling that Uncle Robert coped with the fact that his daughter was living with Harry by not thinking that anything sexual occurred between them.

"Right," Robert finally replied. "Who's ready for dessert?"

"I certainly am," Elinore replied. "I'll help you with these dishes."

Hermione, Harry and Lavender breathed a silent sigh of relief as Hermione shot her cousin a dirty look.

"I'm sorry!" Lavender said softly when her aunt and uncle were out of earshot. "It just slipped out!"

"It's all right," Hermione said grudgingly. "It's just best to call as little attention as possible to things like that."

"I'll try to remember that," Lavender said. "I guess we're on a 'don't ask, don't tell' kind of thing, huh?"

"In a sense of speaking," Harry said as Hermione got up with the remainder of the dishes. "Merlin I really screwed that up didn't I?"

"I wouldn't worry too much about it," Harry replied. "Honestly- your uncle and I are getting closer every time I miss one of those bloody golf balls."

Lavender laughed. "I guess you're right."

Harry grinned at her. "I heard things with you and Seamus are going quite well."

"That they are," Lavender blushed. "He's so sweet… so unlike all the guys I ever thought I'd fallen for before this."

"You have a lot more in common with Cho than I thought in those regards," Harry replied. "I mean aside from the Malfoy thing… now she's got Neville and she says the same things about him that you do about Seamus."

"Well… I guess she and I have both met our Mr. Wonderful, just like Hermione has with you." Lavender laughed.

"Mr. Wonderful?" Harry repeated. "Where on earth did she get a nickname like that?"

"I call you that whenever we talk about you men," Lavender teased. "She hates it."

"She doesn't think I'm wonderful?" Harry replied sitting back up straight as Robert, Elinore and Hermione came back in the room.

"I hope you like pumpkin pie," Elinore said as she set the pie down on the table. "It's from the bakery down the street."

"Love it," Harry replied. "It's my favourite dessert."

"It's Hermione's favourite as well," Elinore said, as she cut into the pie.

Harry smiled at his girlfriend, who slid in beside him this time. "So I heard you don't like calling me Mr. Wonderful," he teased.

"Lavender!" Hermione frowned first at him then at her cousin. "Why did you tell him about that stupid nickname you made up? Now I'll never hear the end of it!"

Harry grinned. "So are you telling me you don't think I'm wonderful?" he asked.

"He's got you in a hole there Hermione," Robert said and everyone laughed as they dug into the pie.

"I've nearly finished with Cho's dress robes," Lavender said. "I just have a few last minute adjustments to make, but it's really coming along quite nicely. I do hope she likes it."

"I'm sure she will," Hermione took a forkful of pie. "I just wish you'd let the rest of us peek at them!" she grinned. "And if they look anything like the robes you made for me... they'll be gorgeous."

Lavender smiled. "Thanks. And no sneak peeks, Hermione. You'll see when everyone else gets to see and not a moment sooner."

"How is Cho doing?" Robert asked Harry. "I've been meaning to check on her. She's taking care of herself isn't she? Getting plenty of rest?"

"Oh yes," Harry nodded. "She works at Madam Malkin's- sitting on a stool of course, and then she comes back and sits on the sofa while they all help her out on her wedding plans."

"Please give her our best next time you see her," Elinore said. "Perhaps we could send a plate of food home with you for her?"

"She'd probably love that Mum," Hermione replied.

After everyone finished dessert, Elinore suggested everyone going into the sitting room, but Hermione politely declined.

"We should probably get home to check on Cho," Hermione said. "But thanks so much for the great dinner."

"Yes, thank you so much," Harry shook hands with Robert and kissed Elinore on the cheek. "And I can already tell you that Cho thanks you," he held up the covered plate which held a generous portion from their dinner. "Lav, see you soon?"

"Yeah," Lavender said, giving him a smile. "We'll have to try double dating sometime soon- Seamus would love that."

They left, Harry's arm around her shoulders to help ward off the cool night air. "Your family is great," Harry smiled.

Hermione relaxed against him. "I wish I could have met your parents and your godfather. I wonder if they would have liked me...thought I was good enough for you."

"They would have," Harry said firmly. "From what I know of my mother... she reminds me of you," he said.

"Really?" Hermione asked pleased. "What--was she a brainy know-it-all bookworm, too?"

"Maybe not so vocal about her know it all status," Harry grinned. "But she was very beautiful and nice to everyone."

She grinned. He hadn't shared much about them with her, but she liked the way his voice sounded and the look that came over his face when he talked about his family...his real family. "They'd be real proud of you, Harry," Hermione said softly. "They'd be proud of the man you've become."

"Thanks," he stopped to give her a kiss. "I think they'd be more proud of me for getting myself such a great girl, especially after being such a prat."

Hermione giggled. "Well, I guess Lavender was wrong then. You definitely won't be sleeping on the sofa tonight."

"Like you could go one night without me," Harry replied as they crossed through The Leaky Cauldron.

"And you could without me?" she asked raising an eyebrow at him.

"I never said that," Harry replied.

"Just checking," Hermione said. "You're so cute when you're indignant."

"You're just cute all the time," Harry wrapped his arm around her waist as they walked out of Diagon Alley towards their cottage.

"That's nice of you to say even though I know you're lying," she teased. "You have seen me in the mornings, haven't you? Not a pretty sight."

"That's not true," Harry said, unlocking the door and holding it open for her. "I've always thought you were gorgeous at all times." he spoke truthfully. He loved seeing Hermione all sleepy, bleary eyed, hair tangled, her pyjamas twisted (when she wore them at least).

Hermione gave him a lingering kiss before walking inside. Cho, who had been in the kitchen getting herself something to drink, witnessed their kiss and couldn't help shaking her head.

"Don't you two ever stop?" she asked with a laugh. "Or at the very least come up for air?"

"Shut it or we won't give you the dinner we brought back for you," Harry said. Hermione jabbed him in the chest.

Cho glared at him. "Your parents didn't have to send me a plate, but I sure am glad they did! What did you bring me?"

"Vegetable casserole," Hermione said, as she took her cloak off. "And Harry didn't want me to tell you this, because he really wanted it all to himself, but we brought you back some pumpkin pie, too."

"Which of course if you don't want we'll be happy to take it off your hands." Harry replied.

"You even try and you'll wish you hadn't," Cho said quickly.

Harry laughed at her. "Want me to warm it up for you?"

"Yes, please," Cho said gratefully. "I'm glad you guys came home when you did. I was about to make myself another peanut butter and jelly sandwich."

Harry grinned as he set to getting Cho's food ready for her and Hermione got some pumpkin juice for all three of them. "What's new with the wedding plans?"

"You'd never know this was a small wedding what with all the planning that's going into it," Cho answered. "And your sneaky cousin still won't let me see my robes!"

"I think she's waiting until she has them sewn," Hermione replied. "Then she'll probably only let you see them so she can make sure they fit."

"She's really been great," Cho said smiling. "She volunteered to do my hair and makeup the day of the ceremony, too."

Harry brought Cho her plate and sat next to Hermione as his friend dug eagerly into her meal. "Neville's really excited about the wedding day," he said.

"Is he?" Cho asked modestly. Although she knew he was, she still liked hearing it.

"Yes," Harry reached for Hermione's hand. "We're all excited Cho. It's still kind of hard for me to believe the two of you are going to be married in a month... well... almost less than a month really since you're planning the ceremony for a few weeks before Christmas."

"It's hard for me to believe, too," Cho said. "I keep waiting for someone to wake me up and tell me it's all been a dream."

Hermione smiled at her. "That's nonsense Cho. You were bound to run into good luck and you did."

"Well, I certainly hit the jackpot with Neville," Cho said grinning.

"Hmm..." Hermione grinned. "I beg to differ." she looked at Harry.

"What?" Harry asked smugly.

Hermione leaned over and Cho rolled her eyes as she whispered something in his ear. "You know... Neville calls you two the rabbits and I can see why the name is going to stick."

"You're just jealous," Harry said, sticking his tongue out at Cho.

"Real mature," Cho said, laughing. "Real mature."

"I think I'm going to bed," Hermione stretched. "You coming?" she asked Harry.

"Sounds like a good idea," Harry said faking a yawn. "I am actually quite knackered."

Cho snorted. "Knackered my arse. Have fun rabbits." she waved them off as Harry grabbed Hermione's hand and they left the kitchen in a hurry.

*** *** ***

Luna had never felt less like going on a date. Michael was good company and he had been very attentive all week… but something was missing.

"Something redheaded, goofy and sweet," she sighed. "Too bad he's a giant prat as well."

They were going to dinner then playing the rest of the evening by ear. She was wearing light blue robes that set off her eyes and hair, and was currently half heartedly applying a bit of makeup.

Ron stood in the corridor just outside Luna's flat. He knew this was behaviour bordering on stalkerish, but he couldn't help it. He'd been at Harry and Hermione's the other night when he'd innocently overheard Hermione and Cho talking about Luna's date that Saturday evening.

But he had to know. He had to know what this bloke had that he didn't. Sheepishly, he'd asked Harry if he could borrow the Invisibility Cloak.

Harry had told him it was a bad idea and that it was just a disaster waiting to happen. But, Ron didn't want to listen and Harry grew tired of hearing his friend whine. So, he'd relented.

Ron paced just outside the door with the cloak over him. He soon heard footsteps on the stairwell and stood back from Luna's door. There he was… Ron didn't think he was all that handsome. Luna could certainly do better. And he hadn't even brought her any flowers.

Ron resisted the urge to stick his foot out to trip the guy. He watched glumly as the bloke knocked on the door.

Luna, still nervous, stumbled down the stairs. "Hello Michael," she said. "Sorry it took me so long to get down here."

"No problem at all," Michael lifted her hand and kissed the back. "You have no idea how glad I am you finally agreed to go out with me."

"Yes... well..." Luna brushed back a strand of hair. "I was in another relationship at the time but that's over now so..." she smiled at him.

"He was a fool to let you go," Michael said grinning at her. Ron couldn't believe the nerve of this guy. He hoped Luna wasn't buying any of this.

"Aye, he is." Luna replied. "Where are we going to dinner?"

Michael smiled. "Well, I hope you don't mind, but I talked to your dad and he told me that you loved Indian food, so I was thinking of taking you to a place near my flat that I thought you might like."

Ron's mouth fell open. This guy sure was smooth. Near his flat, hah! Surely, Luna would see what he was really after.

"That sounds just lovely," Luna took his proffered arm and they walked away, Ron trailing unnoticed behind them.

"So tell me more about what you do outside work," Luna said as they sat down in the restaurant together.

"I really like astronomy," Michael admitted. "If I hadn't decided to become a photographer, I would have loved to have done something with that."

"Astronomy?" Luna smiled as Ron rolled his eyes repeatedly.

"Yeah," Michael said nodding. "I haven't ruined your opinion of me, have I? You don't think I'm incredibly nerdy now, do you?"

"Oh goodness no," Luna replied. "I've always loved astronomy." she laughed and sat back. "You're probably going to think I'm silly but I've always loved watching the moon."

"Not at all," Michael said smiling across his menu at her. "I mean with a name like Luna, it'd be unnatural if you didn't like the moon."

Ron couldn't help the words "Give me a break!" from escaping his lips.

Luna swivelled in her chair momentarily, scanning the room but she saw nothing out of the ordinary. Ron backed away carefully, realising those words had come out louder than he thought.

"Sorry I just... thought I heard something." she said.

"Did your friend check with that photographer I recommended for her wedding?" Michael asked. "I would have loved to have done it myself, but your dad has me going to Bulgaria on assignment that week."

"Yes she did," Luna smiled. "Thank you so much for helping us out there. There's so much to do within the next few months. I told you I'm standing up for Cho didn't I?"

"You did," Michael said, before taking a sip of wine. "Hardly seems fair though. You're going to show up the bride with how beautiful you'll look."

Ron clenched his fists as Luna laughed. "That's very sweet of you to say," she smiled.

"And I heard a little rumour about you," Michael said grinning slyly at her. "That you, Miss Lovegood, are quite the dancer. Your dad says you're quite good."

When he mentioned dancing, Michael could see the smile on Luna's face falter a bit.

"Have I touched a nerve?" he asked softly.

"Oh..." she took a bite of her curry chicken. "No... well... I worked at a resort the past few years as a dance instructor... my um... ex is also a dancer there..." Luna sighed. "It's just that our break-up is sort of recent so anytime I hear the word dance I think of him."

"I don't mean to pry, but was the break-up mutual?" Michael asked. "If you don't want to talk about it, I'll understand."

Ron leaned forward. He, too, wanted to hear what Luna had to say.

"It was I guess," Luna bit on her lower lip; she hadn't counted on thinking about Ron making her feel so upset. "It just wasn't working out- I think he was keeping secrets from me and... I guess I just felt like he never wanted to be around me, like he would come and we would have dinner or work on things together but it was only out of obligation."

Ron had no idea she'd felt like this. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Everything he'd done---the long hours, the secrecy---it had all been so he could get them a place together. He'd wanted it to be a surprise. He'd gone about it with the best intentions, but she hadn't seen it that way. Not that he could blame her.

"Well, it's official," Michael said, hoping to brighten her mood. "Your boyfriend is an idiot. Spending time with you would never be an obligation, Luna."

Ron let out a snarl and this time both Luna and Michael looked straight where he stood in the invisibility cloak.

"Well... I appreciate that," Luna said, blushing a little.

"But, let's not dwell on that, right?" Michael said, reaching across the table and taking her hand. "We came here to have a nice time, right?"

"Yes we did," Luna smiled, squeezing his fingers before they pulled apart and ate some more. Ron felt like he'd been smacked in the face as their conversation took a lighter turn and both Michael and Luna were in hysterics. He barely noticed when they finished their meal and got up to leave.

Michael helped Luna with her cloak. "I was thinking we could go to the planetarium, but they closed ages ago. Would you fancy going to the cinema?" he asked hopefully.

"Sure," Luna replied. "There's bound to be something good playing there."

Ron heard them and thought only momentarily about following them. He didn't think his heart could take anymore. So, when Michael and Luna walked out of the restaurant, he walked in the opposite direction. Even still, he couldn't stop himself from turning around for one last look. His heart broke again as he saw Michael take Luna's hand in his.

His heart sank further as she laughed about something and then he watched Michael lean in and kiss her. Ron grew angry and was about to go over there but to his horror saw Luna's hand go up; he thought she was about to push him away but instead she rested her hand on his shoulder.

"Is it okay that I kissed you?" Michael asked softly.

"Yes," Luna replied. Thoughts of Ron jumped into her head- he kissed her much the same way- sweetly, shyly… she had to push him from her head again. "Quite okay," she smiled.

When Michael and Luna turned the corner, Ron slowly pulled the Invisibility Cloak off. Harry had been right. This had been a stupid, bloody idea.