Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Here's an update for you guys! Sorry there isn't a better authors note but I (Heaven) am off to work in 5 min and Amy's already there but we wanted to update!

Please R/R and enjoy!!!

Seamus liked Lavender's aunt and uncle. They seemed to be quite reasonable people (despite Robert's earlier misgivings about Harry) and it was quite obvious they cared very much about their niece. As he was bringing Lavender home after dinner, Elinore had invited him for some hot chocolate before leaving. Currently they were sitting on the sofas in the living room.

"So it must be a mite quieter around here now that Hermione's living with Harry, aye?" he asked. "Heard their house is quite lovely."

Robert laughed. "I expect it will be once they get everything sorted and put away."

Lavender stretched her legs. "I would go and help them but Hermione is always giving me dirty looks when I sit down for five minutes."

Robert looked at his niece with an amused expression. "Lavender, let's be honest. You did sit down for more than five minutes."

"All right, ten." Lavender shot her uncle a look. Seamus laughed and squeezed her hand.

"We'll have to go over for dinner soon. I haven't seen the place yet." he commented.

"Maybe it'd be best if you waited awhile," Robert suggested. He knew all too well how stressful l moving in had been for his daughter. Adding Lavender to the mix again would be like adding oil to water. "Perhaps the four of you could go out for a night on the town or something like that."

"That sounds like a lot of fun," Seamus replied. He glanced at his watch and sighed. "I've got an early class tomorrow so I'd best get going." He stood up and shook the Grangers' hands. "Lovely to see you both again," he smiled.

Elinore grinned at the young man. "Don't be a stranger, Seamus."

"I won't I promise," Seamus replied. He looked at Lavender. "Walk me out?"

"Sure," she said, getting to her feet. She took his hand and led him toward the front door. She closed it firmly behind her and looked at him and couldn't help smiling.

"Lavender..." Seamus said. "I'm really glad we met at Hillsdale. This past month getting to know you has been fantastic."

"It's been nice for me too," she said quietly. She couldn't quite figure Seamus out. He wasn't like any of the boys she'd dated before. She always knew what they wanted, but with him, she wasn't quite sure. The one thing she did know was that he was the nicest, sweetest and most charming boy she'd met in ages.

Seamus leaned forward and kissed her gently. He could feel her hesitation, hesitation she'd had since they first started seeing each other. He knew she'd been incredibly hurt by what Draco Malfoy had done to her, more hurt than she'd let on to anyone. Seamus wanted badly for Lavender's wall to crumble, to let him through, but he would never push her.

"It's getting late," she said, pulling away from him. "I have an early start tomorrow, too."

"Right," Seamus gave her one more kiss. "Do you want to have dinner again tomorrow? Or do you want to see a movie?"

"I don't know when I'll get away from work," she said, avoiding meeting his gaze. "You wouldn't want to wait around for me."

"Why wouldn't I?" Seamus asked.

She shrugged. In her past experience with dating, she'd always had to schedule her time around the boy and what he wanted to do and when he could get together. She couldn't tell Seamus that, though.

"I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than to hang out at a dress shop for me."

"That's silly," Seamus took her hand. "I want to spend as much time as possible with you." He drew her closer to him. "I like you a lot, Lavender."

"You do?" she couldn't stop herself from asking.

"Yes, I do." Seamus replied.

"That's nice," she said without even thinking. When she saw the hurt expression come over his face, she felt terrible.

"Look..." Seamus decided to be straight out. "If I'm moving too fast, or if you don't feel the same way I do, then I understand if you want to cool it." he kissed her cheek. "If you decide you want to be with me... ring me or come over. I'll be waiting." he turned and started walking down the street.

Lavender hesitated only a moment before calling out to him. "Seamus! Wait!"

Seamus turned around as she raced up to him and kissed him fully on the mouth.

When they pulled away from each other a few moments later, Lavender stared at him.

"I'm sorry," she said breathlessly.

"For what?" he asked, his arms around her waist.

"For being like I am sometimes," she said with a laugh. "I'm not used to this."

Seamus tucked a strand of her silky hair behind her ear. "I'm not a bad guy like Malfoy, I promise." he said softly.

"He really hurt me," she said looking away from him. "I opened myself up to him like I never had to anyone before and he was just using me."

Seamus hugged her and was pleased to feel her arms go around him. "I'll never do that to you," he said.

"I want to believe you," she said, resting her head on his shoulder.

"What can I do to make you believe me then?" Seamus asked.

"I don't know," Lavender said honestly. She broke free from his embrace and looked up at him. "But I do like you, Seamus. Very much. I'm afraid you're just going to have to be patient with me."

"That I can do," He smiled back down at her.

She beamed back at him. "I, um, have lunch tomorrow at one," she said nervously. "If you want, we could have lunch together or something."

"Sounds good to me. I'll meet you at the shop? You can pick the place we eat." Seamus still held her close.

"Sushi?" she suggested, knowing full well it was the food he hated most in the world.

He turned a slight green colour but held his smile bravely. "If that's what you want..."

"I'm just teasing," she said with a laugh. "I wouldn't make you eat that again."

Seamus relaxed. "Bugger that then."

She giggled. "I'll surprise you tomorrow then."

Seamus kissed her goodbye and watched as Lavender ran back to her house. He felt like jumping for joy right there on the sidewalk as he thought about the next day.

*** *** ***

Since they were both getting a severe case of cabin fever, Hermione was glad Harry suggested a trip into Diagon Alley. They'd both needed to pick up supplies. Harry needed to stock up for his Auror training which would begin in a couple days time and Hermione wanted to purchase some books for her classes that would begin soon after.

After a quick bite to eat at one of the pubs, they'd gone their separate ways. Hermione knew the last thing Harry wanted to do was spend his afternoon watching her peruse books and he knew the last thing she wanted to do was browse through Quality Quidditch Supplies checking out the latest racing brooms.

Harry grew bored looking at the brooms, especially since he didn't need a new one and decided after about a half hour of standing around that he'd go help Hermione out with her schoolbooks. Knowing her, she'd probably have at least three armfuls to carry back- for each of them.

True to form, Hermione had lost herself in the stacks of books. She felt like the proverbial kid in the candy store. One of the things she loved most about book shops was the fact that you could always find something new and different and fascinating. Ostensibly, she was there to purchase schoolbooks, but she couldn't help getting sidetracked. The basket at her feet now had as many books she wanted to read for fun as books she had to have for university.

She had just put another book in her basket when she felt someone's eyes on her. She stifled a grin as she heard a familiar laugh. She pulled some books off the shelf and saw a familiar pair of green eyes staring back at her.

"You're going to have to work on the sneaking up on people thing before you start training," she teased. "I spotted you right away."

Harry hugged her from behind. "It just goes to show that I know you better than I thought. I had a feeling there would be armloads of books for you to carry back." He grinned saucily at her.

"There's not that many," she said defensively. "And what do you mean for me to carry back? One of the reasons I had you come with me was for you to carry them back."

"Hey!" Harry said. "Why do I have to do all the work?"

"Because you love me and would do anything for me?" she suggested.

Harry made a face. "You've got me there," he grumbled playfully. He was leaning in for a kiss when Hermione let out a loud gasp and pulled herself from his embrace. Harry was left staring after her as she made a beeline for a guy on the other side of the shop.

"Gordon!" she squealed excitedly and ran into the arms of a rather tall man with short, sandy blonde hair and an athletic build. He embraced her warmly and spun her around. "I haven't seen you in ages!" she said with a laugh as he put her back on her feet.

Harry glared as she laughed at the guy's response. He grabbed her basket of books, grimacing as he carried it over to them. "Here are your schoolbooks," he said, unceremoniously dumping them at her feet and narrowly missing the blond's toes.

"Thanks, Harry," she said with an absent glance at him. She quickly turned her attention back to Gordon. "How long has it been? The last time I saw you was right before you transferred schools our third year."

"Quite awhile, but I'd recognise you anywhere Hermione," the man said warmly. "You look as gorgeous as you ever did."

Harry gave a not so subtle cough and Hermione suddenly seemed to remember who he was and why he was there.

"Oh," she said sheepishly. She grabbed Harry's hand and gave him an apologetic smile. "Harry, this is Gordon Devereaux. We went to Beauxbatons together. Gordon, this is Harry."

"Nice to meet you," Harry stuck his hand out and the other man shook it, both eyeing and sizing the other up. "I'm Hermione's boyfriend."

"Uh-huh," Gordon said dismissively. Gordon eyed Hermione appraisingly. "I should have figured she'd have landed someone by now. You were always too pretty to stay unattached for long, Hermione."

Hermione hit Gordon playfully on the arm. "You're just saying that! He was always a sweet talker back at Beauxbatons, Harry."

"I see," Harry remained unimpressed. "Have you got all your books Hermione? I'm quite tired and want to go home and rest." he stressed the word home and hoped this Gordon bloke would get the hint and leave.

"How are your parents, Hermione?" Gordon asked, ignoring Harry. "I should really stop in and see them since I'm back in London."

"They're fine. Lavender's still at home living with them," Hermione answered. "What brings you back here anyway?"

"I'm starting classes next week," he said with a grin. "First year at university. How about you?"

"Same here!" Hermione squealed. "This is fantastic, it'll be like the old days at Beauxbatons!"

Harry coughed again. "Are you sure you have all your books Hermione?"

"If you tell me you have a concentration in Charms and Transfiguration, I'll swear it's kismet that we found each other again after all this time," he said with a chuckle.

"I do," Hermione answered breathlessly, thrilled to know someone who was as serious about studying as her in the same classes.

"Fantastic," Gordon said, pushing past Harry and taking Hermione's arm. "Hey, if you're not too busy, why don't we grab a bite to eat and catch up?"

"We are busy," Harry was getting angry that he had been standing there well over ten minutes while they bantered. "Quite busy, as a matter of fact." he pulled her arm away and settled his hand on her waist.

"Oh," Gordon said, finally acknowledging Harry's presence. "Some other time, then?"

"Yeah," Hermione said, stifling the anger that rose in her at Harry's attitude. "It was really great to see you again, Gordon."

She watched as Gordon finally walked away. She shrugged out of Harry's hold on her.

"What was that all about?" she asked him.

"He was hitting on you," Harry replied shortly.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "He was not."

"Yes he was," Harry replied, lifting her basket of books up now in his anger as if it weighed nothing. "It's fine if you want to be friends, Hermione, I have no problems with that. I won't order you around. But if he's going to flirt with you, I'm damn well going to say something about it!"

Hermione wanted to laugh at the absurdity of it all. "He wasn't flirting with me, Harry. I haven't seen him since I was 14 years old. I was just glad to see an old friend. That's all. You have nothing to be worried about."

Harry relaxed but his eyebrows knit together. "I trust you. I don't trust that guy. Not one bit."

She stood on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "You don't have to worry about Gordon Devereaux or anyone else for that matter. I'm with the only person I want to be with."

Harry finally cracked a smile. "All right," he sneaked a quick kiss on the lips. "Come on... let's go get these back to the house."

She nodded hoping she'd assuaged his doubts. She couldn't believe he actually thought Gordon was interested in her. Gordon was just an old friend; nothing more, nothing less.

"What did you want to do tonight on one of your last nights of freedom?" she asked.

"Do you really need to ask me that?" Harry asked as he pretended to stagger back at the cost of her books.

"Well, I didn't want to just assume," she said, hitting him on the arm. She watched as he pulled some money from his wallet. "You don't have to buy my books, Harry."

"That's all right," he grinned at her. "You can pay me back later Granger."

"I knew there was a catch," she teased. A few minutes later, she and Harry were about to walk out the door when she saw Gordon toting his own books toward the cashier.

"It was really nice to see you again, Hermione," he called out to her.

"You too!" she responded, happy to see Harry nod cordially and not grab her possessively. "Good boy," she teased as they left the store.

"The things I do for you, Hermione," he sighed, shaking his head.

*** *** ***

Harry sat back and patted his stomach. "Tom and his house elves sure do make a good lunch," he said, quite satisfied with his beef stew and fresh baked bread. He was only too happy to oblige when Neville said he wanted to eat there. "How was yours?"

"Good," Neville agreed. He leaned back in his chair. "Do we have to go back this afternoon? That entire morning session nearly wore me out."

"Tell me about it," Harry agreed. "Auror training is harder than I thought." He shook his head. "Not that I'm really complaining. I can't believe when I bloody walked in there they told me I didn't need to train- that I'd battled enough Dark Wizards to bypass it all." He bit into the last roll. "I hate when people think that just because I'm Harry Potter means that I know everything there is to know."

"Did you see the look on that wizard's face when you told him if it was all the same to him you'd like to continue with everyone else," Neville said laughing. "He nearly fainted!"

Harry laughed as well, even though that sort of thing really did bother him. "At least I have favouritism," he teased.

"I keep waiting for them to come and tell me they made a mistake and I should just pack it in and go home," Neville admitted.

Harry shook his head. "I don't know why you hang to that old mentality. If I recall correctly, you were ready to fight Voldemort right alongside of me, even though it was me who was marked."

"Old habits die hard," Neville said with a shrug. "Besides, I don't exactly look like the hero type, now do I?"

"Do I?" Harry asked pointedly.

"More than me," Neville said simply. "Come on, Harry. Name one thing that you don't do well."

Harry thought for a moment. "I'm not good with tact," he finally said.

"That's the best you can do?" Neville asked laughing.

Harry snorted. "For now it is," he replied. "How's Cho doing anyway? I haven't seen her in a few days. Thought she might have stopped by before now."

"She's doing well," Neville said, smiling just thinking about her. "She's eating well...at least some of the things she's eating are...well, let's just say the everyday person would find disgusting. These are things that even Ron would turn his nose up at, Harry."

"That's pretty bad," Harry shuddered, remembering his friend's fondness for pancakes and jelly slugs. "Where's she staying? Every time I ask her she changes the subject."

"Um," Neville said, looking down at the table. "Maybe we should get back."

"Neville," Harry leaned forward. "I need to know this all right? She's my best friend. I care about her, and about her baby, almost as much as you do."

"I know you do, Harry," Neville said quietly. "But, she doesn't want you to know. I gave her my word I wouldn't tell you, okay?"

Harry sighed in frustration. "She doesn't want me to know," he muttered.

"No," Neville said. "And I hope you'll accept that. She doesn't need any more stress. I hope it's enough for you to know that I'm looking out for her."

"I know that Neville." Harry said, his green eyes starting to flash. "But I have a feeling you're hiding something, not just withholding information."

Neville sighed. He never could fool Harry. He didn't know why he even tried. "Ron's not the only one saving up to get a place of his own," Neville admitted.

Harry sat back. "Tell me." he urged. "Please Neville. If she gets mad I'll tell her it was me; that I forced you to tell me."

"She's staying at The Leaky Cauldron," Neville finally admitted.

"What?" Harry asked. "She's staying HERE?"

"She has been since we got back from Hillsdale," Neville continued. "It's the only place she could afford."

Harry blew out a breath he had been holding. "I can't believe this... why wouldn't she come to me? She knows I would gladly let her stay with Hermione and me!"

"You know how independent she's always been," Neville said. "She knows you and Hermione want to be alone now. You know as well as I do that she wouldn't have accepted even if you had offered."

"I do want to be alone with Hermione, but that's besides the point. Cho should be staying with friends and not in a room at an inn." Harry pushed his hair back with his hands, exposing his scar. At that sight, several witches sitting at the bar began to chatter in excitement. "Come on," Harry said hurriedly. They tossed a few Galleons on the table and left the pub.

"I've been saving up," Neville said as they walked out the door. "I just about have enough to put some money down on a flat for us."

"Let me help you," Harry said instantly.

Neville stopped in his tracks. "I appreciate your offer, Harry, but I want to do this on my own."

"Just a loan," Harry replied.

"I want to do this on my own, Harry," Neville repeated. "Can't you for once let someone else be the hero?" As soon as the words were out of his mouth, he regretted them. He hadn't meant for it to come out that way.

Harry was about to get angry when he realised how true Neville's words were. "All right," he relented. "Just promise me you'll come to me if you need any help."

"I will," Neville said solemnly, glad that his friend wasn't angry. "I do appreciate the offer, Harry."

"Sure," He smiled. "That's my best friend you're looking after. Who would I be if I didn't get overprotective once in awhile?"

"Malfoy?" Neville answered.

Harry stared open-mouthed at him as Neville began to laugh. "Just joking," Neville said.

They walked a little further down the street and Neville pulled a piece of folded parchment from his trousers pocket.

"Did you see this schedule?" Neville asked, looking at it with a frown. "I guess we can pretty much kiss any free time we had goodbye."

Harry nodded. "As long as we've got September 19th free."

"What's so special about that day?" Neville asked confused.

"It's Hermione's birthday," Harry answered. "Since it's her first one since we've been together I want to make it extra special for her."

Neville frowned. "I hate to break it to you, but we won't be anywhere near London then."

"What?" Harry grabbed the schedule away. "I thought I saw that we had that weekend off!"

"No," Neville said shaking his head. "We'll be in Florence. Tactical manoeuvres training. Unless you can fit her in your pocket, she's going to be alone on her birthday."

Harry was seeing red. Now especially he wanted to be with Hermione, after seeing that Gordon idiot at the bookshop a few days before. "DAMMIT!" he cursed loudly.

"Hermione will understand," Neville said, trying to be helpful.

"I hope so," Harry sighed. "I had wanted to surprise her with something."

"Like what?" Neville asked.

"I'm not sure. Dinner, a party..." Harry shrugged. "Guess that's not going to happen now."

"I'll tell Cho and maybe she and Luna can throw a party for her or something," Neville suggested. "Maybe she'd like that."

"She'd probably enjoy that," Harry sighed as they got back to the Ministry building. How on earth was he going to tell Hermione he would be gone on her birthday weekend?