Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Well you all seemed to enjoy those two Gordon free chapters, so we both hesitate to say he's back in this one… so we're not telling you ;) But you'll all see anyways haha

Thanks again to all of you who took the time to review, your feedback is fantastic and we both appreciate your comments!

Bit of a cliffie ending on this one as well, so enjoy and we'll see you all on Tuesday!

"I really wish you didn't have to go," Hermione buried her face in Harry's neck. "So bloody soon after the holidays and Cho is so close to giving birth."

"Yeah, Neville's not at all happy about being gone right now," Harry kissed her. "And I'm glad you offered to have her stay here. She doesn't want to leave their new place but it's better to have someone around since you still have time off."

"Right," Hermione hugged him. "Well… let's get you packed up shall we?"

"Okay," Harry was unenthused.

"Maybe it won't be so bad," Hermione said supportively, as they trudged upstairs to the bedroom. "I've been to Madrid before...it's really a great city."

"I'd rather go there with you," Harry answered.

Hermione giggled. "We'll have to make it a point to go sometime then," she replied.

"That's what we should do," Harry said, smiling at her. "When you're done with school and I'm done with training, we should just travel somewhere and do absolutely nothing."

"Hmm," Hermione laughed. "By then I may be Minister for Magic though Mr. Potter."

"You know what they say about all work and no play," he said, winking at her as he went over to the closet and pulled out his suitcase.

"There's not a soul in the world that could call me dull," Hermione hugged one of his jumpers to her. "Especially since you've managed to teach me some of the finer points of life," she joked.

"Taught you it was okay to get your nose out of those books every once in awhile, didn't I?" he asked her.

"And I've taught you that it's okay to keep your nose IN the books every once in awhile," Hermione retorted playfully.

"So we balance each other out," Harry said, reaching for her and kissing her hungrily. He didn't know how he was going to spend an entire week away from her. "I don't have to leave for another hour and a half..."

"Let's put that time to good use," Hermione said. "Once of course we finish packing you up."

"Why put off what we both want to do now?" he asked her, tugging at the bottom of her jumper. "Never knew you to be a procrastinator."

"Harry...." she drew out the last letter of his name as he pulled her jumper off.

"You were saying..?" he asked. From downstairs the doorbell chimed once, twice, then three more times. Harry groaned as his hand was about to unhook Hermione's bra. "Why is it that someone always comes round just when you and I are getting to the best part?" he asked, resting his forehead on hers.

"I don't know," Hermione grumbled. "Should we ignore whoever it is?"

The doorbell chimed again and Harry swore under his breath. "Doesn't seem as if they're going to let us."

"Damn it," Hermione said. "Don't they know I only have a little bit of time left with you?"

"I'll finish packing and you go downstairs and get rid of whoever it is," Harry suggested, handing her back her jumper.

"Okay," Hermione stole one more kiss from him. She grumbled as she flew down the stairs. "Yes?" she asked, pulling open the door, not bothering to peek through the spy hole.

"Hermione," Gordon said brightly. "I was worried you weren't at home."

"Gordon what are you doing here?" Hermione asked.

Gordon's smile faltered. "I was at the library getting a head start on some reading and I ran into one of our professors. He gave me a list of the books we'll need for the next term. I made a copy for you and managed to check out a few."

He motioned to his bag at his feet which was laden with books.

"Oh..." Hermione felt bad for her cool words. "Well... um... why don't you come in for a moment?" she pulled the door open wider.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "I wasn't interrupting anything, was I?"

"Well it's just that Harry's leaving in just a little while for Madrid," Hermione explained. "And then Cho's coming by after she gets off work..."

"I thought he wasn't leaving until next week," Gordon said, barely able to contain the smile on his face at the news that Potter would be out of his hair.

"The trip got rescheduled," Hermione said. "I mean, I'm glad we got to spend the full holiday together of course but I wish they had the same time off as we get from University."

"Of course," Gordon said, picking up his bag and walking into the cottage. "Did you have a nice New Year?"

"Oh it was fantastic," Hermione answered. "We quite literally danced the night away," she grinned. "Did you and Skylar go out?"

"Um, yeah," Gordon lied. The truth was he hadn't seen Skylar since the wedding. He hadn't lost any sleep over it. The girl had meant nothing to him. She was just a means to an end.

"I was worried that you two didn't have a good time at the wedding," Hermione answered.

"She was just a little shy being around people she didn't know very well," Gordon said. He could still remember Skylar tearing into him for spending his entire evening pining over some other bloke's girl.

"I had hoped it didn't affect things between the two of you," Hermione said. "Perhaps sometime you'll have to bring her around so we can get to know her better."

"Yeah," Gordon said, plonking down on the sofa and making himself comfortable. He began to unload the books on the coffee table. "If we thought we had it easy before, we're going to get a rude awakening next term."

"What did you get?" Hermione asked, watching with dismay as he sat back. She didn't want to make her friend feel unwelcome but Harry was waiting for her upstairs.

As if on cue, Harry came bounding down the stairs.

"Hermione," he called out. "Don't tell me you forgot all about..." his voice trailed off when he saw who their unexpected visitor was.

"Gordon just stopped by for a few minutes to show me some books we need next term," Hermione said quickly.

"He did, did he?" Harry asked coolly. "Surely he realizes you have one more week before you have to be back in classes?"

"Nothing wrong with being prepared," Gordon replied, knowing those words would hit home for Hermione.

"I didn't say there was," Harry said trying hard not to get angry.

Hermione knew how tense Harry was. "Will you give us just a few minutes love?" she asked. "Please- I'll be right up as soon as I take a look at these."

"Of course," Harry said, stroking her hand. "Don't be too long, though, okay?"

Hermione smiled as she kissed his cheek and watched him disappear back up the stairs. "Okay," she said.

Nearly an hour later, Gordon was still in the living room. He knew Hermione really wanted to go upstairs, but he also knew she was too polite to ask him to leave outright.

"Goodness look at the time," Hermione said. She was tired and even annoyed at Gordon for not taking any of the hints she was throwing his way. "I'm sorry Gordon but I really need to see if Harry's got himself packed up properly."

"Oh," Gordon said, frowning. "I guess I have kept you too long, haven't I?"

"It's all right," Hermione didn't want to be rude. "I'll talk to you this week sometime about forming a study group for next term okay?"

"Sure," Gordon said, trying to temper his frustration. It seemed as if she was trying to push him out the door. He quickly gathered up his books and took comfort in the fact that he'd at least managed to shorten Potter's time with Hermione before he had to go away. "Please give my apologies to Harry for monopolizing you all evening."

"I'm sure he's fine," Hermione said. "See you later Gordon." she almost shut the door in his face and wasted no time in sprinting up the stairs. "Harry I am so sorry!" she apologised the moment she stepped into their bedroom. "He just wouldn't take a hint tonight!"

Harry knew it wasn't her fault, but he couldn't help being angry at her for not seeing through Gordon. "He hasn't been able to take a hint since I've met him," Harry said icily.

"Come on, he doesn't interrupt us all the time," Hermione said as she wound her arms around his neck. "We have a little bit of time before Neville and Cho get here and you two have to leave."

Harry shrugged out of her embrace. "He does interrupt us all the time, Hermione! What I don't get is that for someone so smart, you just don't see it!"

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "You seem to keep forgetting that Gordon is my friend and a very good study partner." she said, her tone tightly controlled.

"How can I bloody forget it?" he asked sarcastically. "You remind me of it every single time I try to get you to see what he's doing."

"What is he doing?" Hermione asked crossing her arms over her chest as Harry zipped his suitcase shut.

Harry shook his head. "You know damn well what he's doing."

"Actually I don't," Hermione said angrily.

"Big surprise," Harry retorted.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Hermione snapped.

"Hermione," Harry said, trying to remain calm. "He knew that you and I wanted to spend some time together before I had to leave, but did he take that into consideration? No, of course he didn't! So, he comes over here armed with books..."

Hermione glared at him in disbelief. "Do you honestly think Gordon is looking to break us up?" she asked.

Harry sighed. This wasn't the way he wanted to spend his last moments with Hermione, but she was being so damn stubborn about this. "I don't know," he said, sitting down on the bed.

Hermione sat down next to him. "Harry... there are only two people in this world who could break us up. You and me. And I'm not about to let that happen, not by anyone." she put her hand on his arm. "I love you."

"I know you do," he whispered. He wished there was someway to make her see what Gordon was trying to do. Gordon was trying to break them up, of that Harry was quite sure. He was also quite sure that if he kept pushing the issue with Hermione, he'd push her away. That was what Gordon wanted. Harry wasn't going to give him the satisfaction. "I love you, too."

"And you're the only bloke I'll ever love," Hermione pushed his hair out of his eyes, her finger tracing gently along his scar.

"That's what I like to hear," he said smiling at her, looking at her face, trying to memorize every line and every curve. Neville and Cho would be arriving any minute and he knew they didn't have time to have a proper goodbye.

"I'm going to miss you," Hermione leaned her forehead on his. "At least it's only a week right; and not anything longer."

"Right," he whispered. "You know what this means, right? We're going to have a hell of a reunion when I get back, okay?"

Hermione laughed. "You bet your life we will, Potter." she kissed him hungrily.

"Hello?" Cho called from downstairs. She and Neville had let themselves in as the door was unlocked. "You don't think they're....you know, do you?" she asked her husband as he set her bag down.

"With them who knows, especially since we all got them that 'Rabbit Hole' sign as a Christmas gift." Neville replied. "Hello?" he called.

"Be right down," came a quick, but muffled response from Harry.

"Shit they are," Neville rolled his eyes. "You know we only have five minutes until we have to be at the Ministry right?" he called loudly.

From upstairs, there was the sound of something or someone hitting the floor, followed by muffled laughter.

Cho rolled her eyes as Neville shook his head. "Well..." he led his wife into the living room. "Guess we should say our goodbyes too. I hate leaving you right now. Promise me you'll owl me immediately should anything--"

"Everything will be fine," Cho interrupted him. "We've gone over everything. Besides, you'll probably hear me screaming from Madrid if I go into labour. You know how low my threshold for pain is."

"That I do," Neville grinned before leaning in to kiss her. "I'm glad you're staying with Hermione... neither one of you will be too lonely."

At that moment, Harry and Hermione came downstairs. Hermione's hair was mussed up and Harry was grinning like a Cheshire cat. "Ready to go?" he asked Neville.

"Yes, finally." Neville replied. "I swear the two of you could manage to have sex in the span of two minutes if you had to."

"What are you talking about?" Harry asked, setting his suitcase down and kissing Cho on the cheek.

"Never mind." Neville replied. He hugged his wife as tightly as he could. "Love you," he whispered in her ear.

"Love you, too," Cho said softly. "And don't worry about me...I'm going to be fine."

"I know you will be," Neville turned his back so he didn't have to look at the Harry and Hermione spectacle of a goodbye. "I'll owl you tomorrow all right?"

"You'd better," Cho teased. "You boys better get going...you have less than two minutes to make it to the Ministry."

"Come on Captain Love," Neville pulled on Harry's robes. "See you next week Hermione."

"Bye, Neville," Hermione said, walking the two of them out. "Bye, Harry… love you."

"Love you," Harry smiled at her as she closed the door behind him.

*** *** ***

A couple of nights later, Hermione had the idea to invite Lavender and Luna over for an impromptu slumber party. Cho had been feeling a little down without Neville around and Hermione thought it would do wonders to have her friends around her. She'd rented a couple of movies and ran by the shops to buy some completely fattening junk food for their "Girls Night In" as they'd decided to call it.

At around eight, Luna and Lavender arrived. Luna brought her new puppy, Paddington, who everyone had gushed over. At the moment, they were all dressed in their pyjamas and they were eating pizza and listening to music on the CD player.

"I haven't done something like this since around third year at school," Lavender was currently in the midst of playing with Hermione's hair. "We used to have those little slumber parties all the time during the middle of term... well we would," she teased her cousin. "You always sat them out."

"You used to sit around and talk about boys and hair and makeup," Hermione pointed out. "I had no interest in that. I wanted to keep my marks up, Lav."

"As you did," Luna was hugging Paddington. There was a patch of his fur right in the back of his head that was softer than velvet that she liked to rub her fingers through. "Who had the highest marks when we all finished school Cho?"

"Three-way tie between Malfoy, Harry and Ernie McMillan," Cho answered.

Hermione smiled at the mention of Harry. "What do you suppose he and Neville are doing right now?" she asked.

"Probably asking what we're doing right now," Cho guessed with a laugh. She eyed the box of pizza beside her and wondered if she should have another slice.

"Go for it Cho," Luna pushed the box towards her. "Baby must be hungry if you're feeling the urge to eat."

"I think I will," Cho said, picking up a slice of the plain cheese pizza and biting into it. "This is soooo good."

Hermione laughed then winced as Lavender pulled on her hair. "What are you doing back there?" she asked.

"Never you mind," Lavender said dismissively. "I'm trying something new."

"Lavender, when you say the word new and it involves my hair, you worry me." Hermione replied.

"Are you still holding that one unfortunate incident against me?" Lavender asked, rolling her eyes. "We were seven years old!"

"What are you talking about?" Cho asked.

"Hermione really overreacted, I thought," Lavender explained. "It was really nothing."

"Nothing?" Hermione asked. "Nothing? You nearly scalped me, Lavender! She decides to use me as her personal Barbie doll so she grabs a pair of my mum's scissors and proceeds to cut my hair."

Luna laughed. "What made you do that?" she asked the other blonde.

"She had really long hair and it was always a mess," Lavender answered. "I thought I was helping her out."

Hermione shivered. "It was awful. By the time she finished there wasn't much left, and my mum nearly had a fit. I had to cut it all off as a result and she's lucky she wasn't living with us yet at that point or there would have been some retaliation going on."

"Remember who helped style your hair the night of your big dance with Harry?" Lavender pointed out. "And who fixed Cho's hair for the wedding?"

"Well you've gotten better," Hermione conceded. "But ever since that little incident I haven't let her near me with a pair of shears." she shook her head at Cho and Luna.

"Keep your head still," Lavender said crossly. "I'm nearly finished."

"She's just giving you two plaits," Luna said to Hermione.

"Okay," Hermione relaxed.

Luna smiled as Paddington settled himself back into her lap. "Something sort of big happened between Ron and me over the holidays," she said demurely.

"Oh really?" Cho asked, resting against the sofa cushions, her hands against her belly.

Luna nodded happily. "He wants us to move in together."

"You mean he finally fessed up?" Lavender asked before she could stop herself.

Luna turned her head to look at her friend. "You knew?"

"Well," Lavender looked to Cho for help. "We sort of did..."

"And you didn't tell me?" Luna asked shocked. "Why not?"

"Ron wanted to have the honours," Hermione said simply.

Luna smiled. She looked at Cho. "I can't believe you knew and didn't say a word to me. That has to be a first!"

"It's not been easy," Cho said. "But I think it was the first thing I ever kept a secret. Probably because I was able to talk about it with everyone BUT you," she smiled at Luna.

"How's his mum taking the news?" Hermione asked. "Does she know yet?"

"I think Ron wanted to wait until we had a list of possible places before we went ahead and told her," Luna replied, laughing as Paddington licked her fingers. "We're taking our time with the search though, so it'll be a few months before we finalize anything."

"That sounds like a good idea," Hermione said.

"So, being as I've never lived with a bloke," Luna said, smiling at Cho and Hermione. "Care to tell me what to expect?"

"Doesn't Ron stay over sometimes?" Hermione asked sighing in relief as Lavender finally finished with her hair. "Expect that only messier."

"You mean Mr. Wonderful has a bad side?" Lavender asked teasingly. "I thought the sun rose and set where he walked."

Hermione glared at her. "Stop using that bloody name! Harry thinks it's hilarious and calls himself that because of you."

Cho guffawed. "Harry thought that about himself long before the two of you came along. He's my friend and I love him, but he has an ego the size of a...well, I'm not sure how big it is, really, but it's quite large."

"He was only that way after he defeated... You Know Who..." Luna said after a slight pause. "Cho you remember how shy he used to be until around 4th year at the Triwizard Tournament..."

"All right, after that," Cho conceded. "Once he passed through puberty and lost the high voice, the skinny body and the really, REALLY dorky glasses, he thought he was hot stuff."

"He is hot stuff," Hermione said defensively and blushed.

"Too much information," Lavender covered her ears.

Hermione laughed. "Who wants ice cream?" she asked, getting to her feet.

"If you have strawberry I'll name this baby after you," Cho said.

"Don't believe her," Luna said to Hermione. "She's promised that to everyone. So far, her baby's name is going to be Luna Hermione Harry Neville Seamus Longbottom."

Lavender laughed. "What about me? Don't I get a name?" she pretended to be hurt.

"Do something for her and I'm sure she'll fit you in," Luna said laughing.

"I made her bloody wedding robes," Lavender replied.

"Lavender Luna Hermione Harry Seamus Neville Ron Longbottom," Cho said thoughtfully. "Has a nice sort of ring to it, doesn't it?"

"If I have strawberry ice cream does that mean my name will move to the front?" Hermione teased.

"Possibly," Cho said with a grin. "You'll at least be in the top three."

"Well then it's a good thing I have strawberry ice cream," Hermione disappeared into the kitchen, coming back a moment later with the carton and bowls and spoons. The four girls crowded around the coffee table as Hermione scooped out servings for each of them.

"I'm really having a great time tonight," Cho said, smiling at her friends. "We should do stuff like this more often."

"What kick the guys out and do girly things?" Hermione joked.

"Yeah," Cho said, nodding.

"I think it'd be nice too. Maybe once a month," Lavender said.

Cho grinned as she sat back down on the sofa and took a bite of her ice cream. "This is so good it ought to be illegal."

"At least you've stopped getting those cravings, like the pancakes and jelly slugs deal," Hermione replied.

"That was pretty disgusting, wasn't it?" Cho asked shuddering.

"Yes," the other three girls all said at once.

"Give me a break," Cho said laughing. "I'm pregnant! I'm supposed to want to eat strange things!"

"Yes but do you actually HAVE to eat them?" Lavender asked her nose wrinkled.

"Can we talk about something else?" Cho asked. "See, I'm actually eating something normal now."

"Right," Hermione grinned. "Let's give the pregnant lady a break."

"Thank you," Cho said, taking another bite of her ice cream.

"So who do we talk about now?" Lavender asked, her eyes twinkling. "You know you never did answer us before, Hermione. How about you tell us the real scoop on living with Harry Potter? Is he a messy boy? Does he leave the seat up? Does he snore? Inquiring minds want to know..."

"I've already told you," Hermione replied. "He always puts the dishes away back wrong and I've no idea how he gets toothpaste in his mouth because it's always all over the sink when he's finished brushing his teeth..." she shook her head and smiled.

"And what's the best part about living with him, aside from all the shagging?" Lavender asked.

"It's just nice waking up in the morning next to the person you want to spend the rest of your life with," Hermione said simply.

"I couldn't agree more," Cho said.

"I wonder if Seamus and I will reach this point." Lavender said wistfully.

"In all honesty, it's not as easy as it sounds, living with someone." Hermione said thoughtfully. "I mean, the good definitely outweighs the bad without a doubt. But there are things you have to put up with- for me, it's being organised. Harry IS organised but not like I am. It's aggravating having to clean up after him but in the long run, I'll do it every day and never complain because I love him."

"Awwwwww," her three friends said in unison.

Hermione laughed. "Come on, Lavender you sound like a reporter trying to get some dirt on Harry to publish. That's Luna's job."

"I'd never do that to Harry," Luna said firmly. "Besides, I'm not as bad as those vultures at the Daily Prophet."

"That's true," Cho nodded. "They've been awful lately about what's been written. I'm downright shocked that they haven't put anything in about Harry in awhile- usually he's a favourite target. And now that he's got a girl..." she shook her head.

"I thought that was kind of strange, too," Lavender admitted. "They've not printed word one about Hermione. Must be a new thing for them...showing restraint."

"Maybe I'm just not interesting enough," Hermione joked. "I should go out in public and dance in my knickers and then they can write about Harry Potter's insane girlfriend."

"That'd actually be pretty tame compared to some of the rubbish they've written about him in the past," Cho said. "Besides, I'm glad they're leaving the two of you alone. That's all you need to have that lot following you around."

"That's true," Hermione nodded. "The last thing I'd fancy is having my private life splashed across the front page of that paper."

"And what a story they could write about the two of you," Lavender said, grinning at her cousin.

Hermione gave her a look. "Maybe until I spilled the beans about you and Seamus and your wild nights," she retorted.

Luna, who had been about to take a bite of her ice cream, dropped the spoon. "Wait a minute! Lavender...you and Seamus have..."

Lavender glared at Hermione. "Thanks a lot," she said, her voice tinged with sarcasm.

"Don't get mad at Hermione," Cho said to Lavender. "Take it from someone who has a habit of letting the cat out of the bag, sometimes it's hard to keep things a secret. Things just slip out. You don't mean for them to, but they do."

Lavender shook her head. "Yes," she answered Luna's question. "Seamus and I have... gotten intimate." she couldn't help the smile that now spread across her face.

"How was it?" Luna asked, hoping her friend wouldn't think this was too personal a question.

"Well..." Lavender thought about her words. "The first time... it was a bit awkward. It didn't hurt or anything but it was something neither one of us had done before. It's gotten much better since then."

"First times are always like that though," Cho said reassuringly. "I can remember when Har--" Cho said, but stopped abruptly when she locked eyes with Hermione. The last thing that Hermione probably wanted to hear was Cho talking about her first time with Harry.

"It's okay," Hermione said calmly. "I'm adult enough to hear about this sort of thing."

Cho smiled. "I was just going to say that first times are always awkward, especially when neither of you know what the hell you are doing."

"I guess I got lucky then," Hermione said mildly, smiling at Cho.

Cho was relieved that Hermione genuinely seemed okay with her past with Harry. "Do you realize that I'm the only one of us married and I'm the only one not getting any," Cho said, shaking her head. "It's not fair!"

Hermione, Luna and Lavender laughed. "Your pregnancy isn't technically an excuse," Hermione teased. "Well maybe now it is, you could actually scare the baby I'm sure since you're about to pop."

"Neville's really been great about it," Cho said, rubbing her belly.

"Well I'm sure once the little one is available for us to fawn over, you and Neville can take a mini honeymoon." Lavender said. "I'll be more than happy to watch the baby for you guys."

"Get in line," Hermione smiled at her cousin.

"Thanks," Cho said happily. "I'm going to take you all up on that offer."

"Where do you and Neville think you'll go for a honeymoon?" Hermione asked, licking her spoon and dropping it back into the bowl.

"You know I've actually not thought too much about it what with getting ready for the baby and all," Cho replied. "But if I had a choice, I'd want to go somewhere really nice and warm and tropical."

"That does sound nice," Luna said. "Especially with how freezing cold it's been here lately."

"I know," Lavender agreed. "I miss being at Hillsdale where I walked around in shorts and hung out by the lake all day. Well, minus the whole Draco Malfoy part, of course."

"I don't think any of us miss him," Hermione rolled her eyes.

"To this day I wonder what I ever saw in him," Lavender said, shuddering. "I wasted an entire summer chasing after him. But, if any good came out of it, he inadvertently led me to Seamus."

"It's really amazing how we all managed to find guys this summer," Cho replied. "Good and bad of course, but think of it this way- if I hadn't gotten pregnant, Hermione, you'd have never danced with Harry, and maybe not have gotten together with him. And then Luna, you wouldn't have had to do all those extra lessons with Ron and maybe not have gotten together with him. And Lavender, if we hadn't had the idea to get Ginny trapping herself on tape you might never have met Seamus..." she sighed. "I'm so glad things worked out the way they did."

"Things are as they should be," Luna said grinning at her friends.

"I second that," Hermione agreed.

*** *** ***

Harry missed Hermione very much, but he was having a good time in Madrid. Their training sessions were tough, but he knew in the long run they were completely necessary. Right now he, Neville and a bunch of their Auror classmates were sitting at a café having a late dinner.

Harry nibbled on some chips and salsa while he watched some of his friends dance- he was surprised to see that Megan Reilly could hold her own out there, with her new bloke Chris who actually seemed as enamoured by her as she was by him.

"Still worried about Cho?" Harry asked as his eyes rested on Neville. "I'm sure she's fine, otherwise we'd have gotten an owl."

"You're probably right," Neville said. "But I hate being away from her when she's so close to her due date."

"So do I," Harry nodded. "Just a couple of weeks left and you'll be a dad," he grinned.

"I still can't believe it," Neville said shaking his head.

"You nervous about that?" Harry asked, refilling his glass of sangria.

"Scared to death actually," Neville admitted. "But a good kind of scared. Stupid, isn't it?"

"Nonsense," Harry replied. "You're going to be responsible for another human life Neville. It's okay to be scared."

Neville nodded. The sound of Megan's giggling filled the air and Neville turned around to see Megan gazing adoringly at Chris. "You okay with that?" Neville asked his friend. "She certainly didn't waste any time getting over you, did she?"

"My heart was broken but I've managed to pick up the pieces," Harry snickered.

Neville laughed. "You are handling it quite well."

"It's a good thing I've got back up," Harry joked.

"Always," Neville said, grinning. From a couple of tables down, one of their fellow trainees called out to Neville. "Be right back," Neville said pushing back from his chair.

Harry drank from his glass of sangria, his eyes travelling over the crowd of people.

"Can someone tell me why on earth Harry Potter is sitting all alone in a cafe?" a sultry voice called from behind him.

Harry turned around. "Isabella?" he blinked.

"In the flesh," she said, smiling mischievously at him. She wore a tight black mini-dress that accented each and every curve. Her blonde hair hung loose down her back. "You get even more handsome each and every time I see you," she said, kissing his cheek.

"Thanks," Harry sat up straighter. "You look great too," he smiled at her. "What are you doing in Madrid I thought you were living in Barcelona?"

"I've got a shoot for a magazine," she explained. "And to think I nearly turned it down, too. If I had, I wouldn't have ran into you. Mind if I sit down?"

"Sure," Harry said politely. "Sangria?"

"Have you ever known me to turn that down?" she asked with a smile.

"As no one should, this stuff is bloody fabulous," Harry poured her some.

"So you never answered my question," she said, taking a sip from her glass. "Why are you, of all people, sitting here all alone?"

"Everyone's already out dancing or talking," Harry nodded his head at his friends sitting at the next table. "Neville just went to go talk to some other people for a moment."

Isabella nodded. "Dancing...now that sounds like a fun idea! What do you say, Harry? For old times sake?"

"Well..." Harry looked around as if trying to find an excuse. Hermione wasn't there to stop him this time, yet what harm could one or two dances do? She had a point- it did look like fun. "Sure, why not?"

"There's this fabulous club a couple of streets over," Isabella said. "I was actually on my way there when I saw you sitting here and I couldn't believe my luck."

"I'm afraid I can't stay out too late," Harry replied. "I'm here on Auror training and they've got us up at the arse crack of dawn every morning."

"I remember when I used to keep you out until the arse crack of dawn every morning," she countered flirtatiously.

"Yeah, back when I didn't have training," Harry replied.

"Well, I promise not to keep you out too late tonight," she said with twinkling eyes. "Wouldn't want you to get into any trouble, would we?"

"I should be good for another few hours," Harry replied.

"Let's go then," Isabella said, pushing back from her chair.

Harry had fleeting second thoughts about leaving to go to a dance club with Isabella Marconi, but he pushed them away. Nothing was going to happen that he didn't want to happen. "Hey Neville- I'm going to another club with Isabella for a few hours." he stopped at the table where his friend was sitting, every guy openly gawking at the beauty by Harry's side.

Neville frowned. "Harry, do you think that's such a good idea?"

"It's fine," Harry said. "Trust me I'll make sure I'm back by a decent hour."

Neville nodded and watched as Harry took Isabella's hand and they walked away. He didn't have a good feeling about this at all. Where Isabella Marconi went, trouble always seemed to follow. Neville hoped that for once, it wouldn't be the case.

Harry, who had drunk a good deal of the sangria, felt surprisingly sober as they arrived at the club. He paid the cover for himself and Isabella who thanked him with a kiss on the cheek, one that landed close to the corner of his mouth. "Isabella..." Harry pulled away from her. "You should know- I'm still with Hermione all right? I don't want you think anything's going to happen--"

"She's not here, though, is she?" Isabella interrupted. "Besides, I won't tell if you don't."

"It's not that," Harry said, having to shout over the music. "She trusts me, and I'd never do anything to make her feel any other way."

"You agreed to come here with me, didn't you?" Isabella pointed out. "She probably wouldn't be too happy if she knew that. Come on, Harry. You used to know how to have a good time!"

"I still do," Harry frowned. "And I agreed to come here with you as friends, not as anything else."

Isabella wrapped her arms around his neck. Before Harry could stop her, she'd pressed her lips to his.

"What the hell are you doing?" Harry pushed her away immediately but not before a flash popped in their faces.

"Reminding you of how good we are together," Isabella replied, but Harry wasn't paying attention to her. His eyes were on the man who'd just snapped their photograph and who was now heading out of the crowded club as fast as his legs could carry him.

"Did you plan this?" Harry asked angrily. "Bring me here to this club where a fucking photographer just happens to be waiting?" he glared at her.

"No," Isabella said crossly. "You and I are both well known, Harry. It's normal for paparazzi to follow us around wherever we go."

"Yeah," Harry said coldly. "Well I'm sure your well known status can find you a ride home. I'm out of here."

"Fine," Isabella retorted and turned on her heel and disappeared into the crowd.

"What a bitch," Harry wiped his mouth off and stormed out of the club. He couldn't believe what she'd done, and of course that stupid photographer had to be there right at that moment. He groaned, realising that picture would most likely be splashed across every major newspaper across the Wizarding World the very next day. He'd managed to avoid the paparazzi over the past few years by leading a relatively quiet life but this would really thrust him back into the limelight.

Meanwhile back at the cafe, Neville had just finished scrawling a message to Cho on some parchment. When they got back to the hotel, he planned on sending it to her. He folded the piece of parchment and put it in his pocket. As he threw some money down on the table to pay for the meal, he heard someone passing by who was mumbling something. He looked up in time to see an agitated Harry walking past him.

"Harry!" he called out to his friend.

Harry spun around, his hand gripping his wand. "Oh, Neville," he relaxed.

"Where's the fire?" Neville asked, wondering why his friend had his wand out.

Harry sighed and dropped into the chair. "You're not going to believe this," he mumbled.

"Try me," Neville said, sitting down as well.

Harry gave Neville a brief recap of what had just happened with Isabella. "You know, I don't bloody get women- here I go and tell her I have a girlfriend who I'm extremely happy with and love more than anything and what does she do? Just go and kiss me as if I'd asked her to!"

Neville shook his head. "You shouldn't have gone with her in the first place, Harry."

"I just thought it might be fun!" Harry said. "I didn't know she was going to be a sneak!"

"I told you shouldn't have gone with her," Neville said, knowing that this was the last thing Harry wanted to hear. "At least no one else saw it, right? You were in a crowded club? I won't say anything to Hermione, but I don't like being put in this position."

Harry looked at him warily and Neville groaned.

"Right as she kissed me someone took a picture," Harry said glumly after a moment. "I would have tried to go after them but they were gone before I could even pull away."

"It was probably just a fan," Neville said. "Probably some fan psyched to see the great Harry Potter."

"You think?" Harry perked up. "Not a reporter?

Neville shook his head. "Probably not. How would they have even known we were here? Besides what interesting news could they find with you on training? Not exactly the most interesting stuff."

"I have managed to keep out of the light for awhile," Harry said, hoping Neville was right. "And I haven't really done anything interesting, at least not interesting enough for the papers to pick up on..."

"Yeah, to be so heroic, you're really kind of dull," Neville said, slapping his friend on the back. "Come on, let's get back to the hotel."

Harry felt better after talking to Neville. "So do you think I should owl Hermione about this or just wait until we get back?"

"Wait until we get back," Neville answered. "Why worry her over nothing?"

"Yeah I suppose you're right. I'd rather tell her face to face than try and explain that over a letter anyways," Harry grinned at his friend. "Thanks Neville."

"You should listen to me more often," Neville said, getting to his feet.

"And where would that get me?" Harry joked.

"Out of trouble?" Neville answered with his own question. "Come on...let's get back to the hotel. I want to owl Cho before we turn in."

"Okay," Harry replied, convinced that Neville was right and that it was just a fan taking a once in a lifetime shot and not a reporter.

*** *** **

Luna closed the door to the cottage behind her softly. She'd woken up first and decided to surprise her friends with bagels and pastries by running down to the bakery down the street. In one hand, she held their breakfast treats and in the other a copy of the morning paper. She hoped Hermione wouldn't be awake when she got back. She didn't want her friend to see the paper just yet.

The entire front page of The Daily Prophet had a huge colour photo of Harry snogging his ex-girlfriend Isabella Marconi in Madrid. The accompanying article speculated on the two of them reigniting their old flame. Luna knew there had to be a reasonable explanation for this, but what it was, she didn't know.

She tiptoed into the living room and to her dismay saw that everyone was awake. But, to her relief, Hermione wasn't in the room. She smiled weakly at Cho and Lavender. "Where's Hermione?" she whispered.

"In the loo," Cho replied. "She hasn't seen this yet," she also held up a copy of the paper. "I don't know how we're going to hide it from her..."

Luna set the bag down on the coffee table and sat down on the sofa beside Lavender. "What on earth was Harry thinking?" she asked.

"You're the reporter, you tell me," Lavender replied. "I'm going to bloody kill him!"

"Now wait a minute," Cho began but was interrupted by Hermione's cheery voice.

"Something smells delicious!" Hermione said, coming into the room.

Luna and Cho both grabbed the papers. "Luna just went out and got us some bagels," Lavender covered, her voice artificially bright.

"Oh, that's really sweet of you," Hermione said, making for the bag. "Why aren't the rest of you eating?"

"She just got back," Cho said. "I'm starving so you all pick first otherwise I just might eat it all," she folded the newspaper so Hermione couldn't see the front page.

"Is that the newspaper?" Hermione asked. "One of my professors was writing a column in there today and I really want to see it."

"Oh..." Cho looked to Luna for help. "I didn't see any columns by professors..." she lied feebly.

"Are you sure?" Hermione asked. "I could have sworn he said it was going to be in there today. Maybe I'll just have a look..."

She reached for the paper, but Cho tucked it behind her back.

"What's going on?" she asked, looking around at her friends. "Why don't you want me to see the paper?"

"I want to read it first is all," Cho said. "I know how long it takes you to read it..."

"Okay," Hermione said, unconvinced. "Luna...can I see your copy then?"

"This... isn't the Daily Prophet." Luna laughed nervously. "Why would I buy that rubbish?"

Hermione folded her arms. "Okay, what are you lot trying to hide from me?"

Lavender shared a stricken look with the other two women. "Nothing Hermione..." she tried to appease her cousin. "Come on let's eat before all this gets cold," she sat down at the table.

"No," Hermione said, sternly. "There's something in that paper that you obviously don't want me to see. I want to know what it is. I'm going to find out eventually..."

Cho tried to shift as her baby had taken to resting on her bladder and as she did, her hand lifted up on the paper and Hermione snatched it away in the blink of an eye.

"HAHA!" Hermione said triumphantly. She turned the paper around and the smile on her face fell as she saw the photograph staring back at her.