Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Sorry for the late update guys- portkey has been moving it's server to a bigger machine so the site was down for a little while. But here you go! And thank you ALL for the slew of reviews we got last chapter. Suffice to say… you'll never hate Gordon more than you do in this chapter.

And if you thought last one was a cliffie…. (insert evil laughter here)

Cho held Chiaki closely as Alice stroked the baby's soft head. Chiaki cooed in her sleep, oblivious to everyone around her. "She's only a few months old," Cho said, knowing Alice Longbottom had no idea what she was saying. "Neville's such a wonderful father."

Alice was humming a tune that Cho didn't recognize, but Neville had told her that his mother liked to do this when she was happy.

She glanced at her watch and realised she'd already been there for over a half hour. "I've really got to go," Cho said, leaning forward to kiss her mother in law on the cheek. "It was nice to see you again Alice. You too Frank..."

Frank was sitting on the edge of his bed and he gave Cho a weak smile and slowly got to his feet. He made a timid motion toward Cho and the baby, but then backed away.

"It's okay," Cho said encouragingly.

Frank again slowly approached them and bent his head down and kissed Chiaki on the forehead.

Cho smiled at them both. "It was good seeing you again," she said softly, scooping up her bag. "I'll be back next time with Neville..."

Alice nodded happily and clapped her hands together.

Cho felt good as she left the hospital. She knew Alice and Frank would never be the people they once were but at least they recognised Neville, and her, and Alice seemed to absolutely adore Chiaki. She grinned down at her sleeping baby. Being a mother was definitely not something she had planned for this time in her life, but she wouldn't have changed it for anything now. "You're going to spend the evening with your Gran, love." she said softly.

"You're not going to let your daughter go to the wild party, eh?" Luna asked, coming up behind Cho.

"Merlin!" Cho jumped. "Don't scare me like that!"

"I'm sorry," Luna apologized with a laugh. "I was interviewing someone in the hospital and I saw you and Chiaki and thought I'd stop you and say hello."

"Hello," Cho returned dryly. "And no, I'm not bringing Chiaki tonight. We thought about it but she'd probably just sleep the whole time so we're leaving her with Gran."

"Hopefully, this engagement party will go much better than the one we had for you and Neville," Luna said, still shuddering at the scene she and Ron had made.

"Come on, it wasn't bad," Cho said. "I mean, it got Ron to wake up and stop being a pissed wanker didn't it?"

"True," Luna said with a smile. "It certainly did. Ron and I had a bit of a row this morning though. I hid the food for the party from him and he thinks I don't trust him."

Cho laughed. "That's all right, I wouldn't trust him either. He's got a bottomless stomach."

"He does," Luna said grinning. "And Paddington's taken to sleeping in between us on the bed and Ron's none too pleased about that, either."

"Poor Ron," Cho laughed harder.

"Have you spoken to Hermione since the big news?" Luna asked. "I can't wait to see the ring Harry picked out."

"No, she and Harry were 'busy' all weekend," Cho replied. "Apparently Harry finally told her about Gordon as well."

"She finally listened to him?" Luna asked. "Cho, you wouldn't believe the things I found out about him."

"I heard," she said. "He's pretty awful."

"Hopefully, they'll be able to tie him into Andrew Murphy's disappearance and he'll get the help he needs," Luna said. "I'm just ready for the day when we can all put Gordon Devereaux behind us."

"Agreed," Cho said. "Well I'm off, I've got a class in an hour and I still have to drop Chiaki off. I'll see you tonight."

Luna kissed Chiaki's forehead and gave her friend's hand a squeeze. Luna didn't know why, but she felt a cold chill. "I-I'll see you tonight," Luna said quietly, trying not to alarm her friend.

"Okay," Cho suddenly looked at her strangely. "Are you all right? You look pale all of a sudden."

"Yeah," Luna said, nodding. "I'm fine. You better get going."

"All right," Cho said, thinking she would find out that evening. "See you at seven."

Luna watched her friend walk away and she had a feeling that perhaps she was just being paranoid after all the things she'd dug up about Gordon, but she felt as if something bad had just happened. She hoped that she was wrong.

*** *** ***

The party was in full swing well before the guests of honour arrived. Luna smiled as she set a tray of party food down on a table and said hello to Dean Thomas who was chatting with Seamus. So far so good, she thought to herself. All day long, she'd been unable to shake the feeling that something was wrong.

At least with setting up for the party, she'd been able to take her mind off her worries. Ron had told her not to worry and that nothing was going to wrong. She wanted to believe him.

"Ron?" she asked, coming up beside her boyfriend, who was standing in the corner, drinking some ale. "Where did you put Paddy?"

"He's in the bedroom," Ron scowled.

"You did put some water in there for him at least, didn't you?" Luna asked. "And some of that kibble he likes so much?"

"You know, I think you like him more than you do me," Ron's scowl grew. "He's a cheeky little bugger who gets whatever he wants."

"That's not true," Luna teased. "I love you both the same. Sometimes, he acts more mature than you do, however."

"Shut up," Ron replied. "And yes, I put some kibble in there and water. Ten Galleons says that when we let him out it'll be all over the room."

"Need I remind you that it was you who gave me Paddy?" she asked smiling at him.

"If I'd known what a devil he is I'd have picked another dog." Ron replied.

"Funny," Neville said, coming to join them. "That's what Luna says about you."

"Sod off Longbottom," Ron replied. "I'll exchange you the dog for Chiaki."

"I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world," Neville said, looking across the room at his wife, who was engaged in conversation with Lavender.

"I know, I know..." Ron replied. "But maybe once in awhile you'll let me take her instead of letting Harry hog her all the time."

"Harry at least will offer to change her nappies, unlike someone else I know," Neville said.

Luna laughed. "Don't blame him, Neville. He's still cheesed off about having to clean up after Paddy when we were house training him."

"Can we stop making fun of me already?" Ron whined. "What about Harry and Hermione. We're throwing them this engagement party and Luna wouldn't let me touch the food and they're not even bloody here yet!"

"You know what they're probably doing, don't you?" Neville asked, frowning. "You'd think they'd get tired of it every once in awhile or at least come up for air."

"You sound jealous," Cho joined her husband and friends.

"No, not at all," Neville said quickly. He turned around and looked at her. "I'm quite satisfied."

"That's what I thought," Cho smiled at him.

Dean, who'd been standing by the window, saw Harry walking toward the building. "Hey! Everyone! Harry's on his way up!"

"Finally," Ron replied.

"Ronald," Luna said, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Promise me you will be on your best behaviour tonight and you will not say anything out of sorts? Remember how you were going to try and be tactful?"

"I said I'd try," Ron gulped the rest of his ale.

Luna patted his head. "Good boy."

Harry went up to his friends' flat, happy that the day was over and he could once again be with his fiancée. He knocked on the door and Luna immediately flung it open.

"Happy Engagement!" she exclaimed, giving him a hug.

"It's about time, Potter!" Ron called out behind her.

"Sod off Ron, I was running late. Lupin kept me after training to talk about what I missed on Friday." Harry replied, shrugging off his cloak. "Where's Hermione?"

"I thought she was coming with you," Luna said.

"No, we were supposed to meet here," Harry replied.

Lavender came up to give Harry a hug. "My cousin is never late. Someone mark the time and date down."

"Maybe she finally realised what a prat you are and ran away," Ron chimed in.

Lavender and Cho, who flanked Ron on both sides, promptly hit him hard in each arm.

"Ow!" Ron replied. "I was just kidding!"

"It's only 7:30," Cho said reassuringly to Harry. "She'll be here."

"She's never late though," Harry said.

"Was she coming straightaway from her classes?" Cho asked.

"She had a meeting with her academic advisor at six," Harry said. "But that wouldn't have lasted an hour and a half..."

"Have you ever seen Hermione once she gets talking about anything academic?" Lavender asked. "Harry, we'll be lucky if she shows up at all."

Harry frowned and Cho hugged him. "Come on Harry, you know she'll be here. You're engaged now!"

"Another one bites the dust," Seamus said. "Ron, we'd better watch out...you and I are going to be the only bachelors left."

Lavender and Luna both turned to stare at him. "And that's a bad thing Finnigan?"

"I didn't say that!" Seamus quickly said. "Hey! I thought this was a party? Someone should be dancing and we should all be drinking, right?"

"Aye and now that someone who is dancing will be you," Lavender grabbed her boyfriend.

"Me and my big mouth," Seamus said, reluctantly allowing her to pull him away.

Cho laughed and turned to say something to Harry, but he still wore that worried look on his face. "Harry?" she asked. "You're really worried, aren't you?"

"She's never late Cho," Harry said.

"It's probably like Lavender said," Cho said, hoping she was right. "You know how Hermione gets when she talks about her schoolwork. I'm sure her advisor is probably sitting at her desk and rolling her eyes wishing Hermione would shut up and let her go home." She squeezed his hand.

"I guess you're right," Harry relaxed a little. "Where's the baby?"

"With her Gran," Cho answered. "She was running a bit of a fever, but I think she's going to be okay."

Harry helped himself to some ale. "Let me know if there's anything I can do for her."

Cho nodded. "I'm ready to see this ring you picked out."

"You mean your husband didn't tell you about the two hours he spent with me while I dragged him around New Zealand to find it?" Harry teased.

"Yes, but he was rolling his eyes and was whining about it so I figured I'd get the real story from you," she said with a laugh. "Merlin...I can't believe it. I'm a mother and married and you---of all people---are engaged!"

"Come on, it's not that hard to believe is it?" Harry said. "Maybe the you being a mother part is..."

"Shut up!" she said, hitting him on the arm.

Harry smiled at her. "Things have certainly changed since this time last year..."

Just then, a girl Harry recognized as a friend of Hermione's from school, came up to offer her congratulations. "Hi, Harry. I guess Hermione was too busy planning for the party to come to afternoon classes, huh?" the girl said.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked. "She didn't go to her classes? I dropped her off at school this morning..."

The girl shook her head. "She and I have Charms and Transfiguration together in the afternoon and she wasn't in either of those today."

Harry turned to look at Cho as alarm flitted across her features. "Why wouldn't Hermione go to her classes?" he asked in confusion.

Cho was at a loss as to what to say and she could only shake her head at her best friend.

Harry tried to make sense of what he'd just been told. "I'm uh... I'm going to go see if she's at home. Maybe she went to kip or something and hasn't woken up."

"That's probably it," Cho said, hoping that it was. "I'll go with you."

"Okay," Harry set his drink down and grabbed his cloak. Cho told Neville where they were going and they headed out.

*** *** ***

Hermione groaned softly as her eyelids fluttered. Her head was absolutely killing her and she momentarily wondered what she'd done to make it ache so. She felt someone softly caressing her cheek and opened her eyes expecting to see Harry.

Instead she found herself face to face with Gordon Devereaux.

"You're so beautiful when you sleep," he said, smiling at her.

Hermione stared for a moment and then screamed and jerked her body away. The memory of that morning rushed back to her. "What the hell am I doing here?" she shouted, ignoring the stab of pain in her head.

"We won't be here for too long," Gordon promised. "I just have a few things to take care of before we leave."

"What the hell do you mean before we leave?" Hermione backed away to the wall, which was as far away as she could get. "I'm not going anywhere with you!"

"Yes, you are," Gordon said with a smile. "Don't worry, though. I've nicked a few of your things and you'll have plenty of clothes."

Hermione's jaw dropped disbelievingly. "Are you completely mad?" she asked. "I am not going ANYWHERE with you! And what do you mean you've nicked my things?" her eyes fell on a stack of clothes on the dresser. "YOU were the reason my things have been disappearing?"

Gordon nodded. He walked over to the dresser and picked up one of her jumpers. "I think this is one of my favourites. It really brings out the colour in your eyes."

"You're disgusting!" Hermione snapped.

"You won't think that for long," Gordon said, coming toward her. "I'm sorry that the room isn't all that nice. Andrew made a real mess of things and I didn't have much time to clean it up, but I...I didn't think I'd be taking you this soon. Don't worry about that ring. I took it off of you."

Hermione stared at her hand in horror. She hadn't noticed her engagement ring was gone. "Give it back," she demanded. "You have NO FUCKING RIGHT to touch me at all."

"I'll get you a much nicer one," Gordon said, ignoring her outburst.

Hermione started to shake. "Give me my ring back," her voice was trembling. "I'm leaving... I don't want to stay here with you...." she backed away as he came forward again.

"You can't leave," Gordon said, backing her against the door. He leaned precariously close. "You're fighting me now, but you'll see how happy we'll be. I won't try and change you like he did."

"No one changed me," Hermione's eyes darkened as she started to get angry. "Get away from me Gordon."

"I can't," Gordon whispered. He caressed her cheek. "I tried...I tried to stay away, but I couldn't. Don't you see, Hermione?" He pinned her arms against the door and smiled at her. "It's always been you. It's always going to be you. And you'll see...it's going to be me for you...."

"Let me go!" Hermione struggled. "You're not the one for me! Harry is! I love Harry and I HATE you!"

"No," Gordon said, trying to pin her against the door. "You don't love him. You don't love him. You just think you do." He looked at her and the desire to kiss her overtook him and he pressed his lips to hers.

Hermione gagged as he tried to force his tongue through her lips. He released her arms and she pushed him away as hard as she could but he was much stronger than she was.

"Don't fight me, Hermione," Gordon said, kissing her again.

Hermione pushed away, still gagging and when he opened her mouth again she took the opportunity to bite down hard on his lower lip.

"Ow!" Gordon said, pushing away from her and before he knew what he was doing, he slapped her hard against the face. "Do you see what you made me do?" he asked angrily, wiping the blood off of his lip. "I didn't want to hurt you, but you left me with no choice!"

"Get AWAY from me!" Hermione growled, holding her cheek. "I'll do whatever it takes to make sure you never touch me again!" she glared at him, her eyes narrowed into angry slits.

Gordon shook his head. "I'm going to leave you in here to think about what you just did," he said, looking disdainfully at her before walking out of the room and shutting it firmly behind him.

Hermione tried the door but it was locked. She sank down on the bed, still shaking. How in the world was she going to get herself out of this mess?

*** *** ***

Cho had just hung up talking with Hermione's parents when Harry came back to the cottage. He'd left a few minutes ago to see if he could find any sign of her at school. "Anything?" she asked hopefully.

"No," Harry was clearly upset and hanging onto himself by a thread. "Her professors haven't seen her since this morning and her advisor said she never showed up to her appointment." he sat down heavily. "And believe it or not, that's not even the worst news..."

"I don't know if I want to hear it," Cho said, sinking down on the sofa.

"A classmate of Hermione's was found in a room by her first class," Harry said. "She was memory charmed..."

"Oh no," Cho said. "Harry, you don't think..."

"Yeah," Harry said grimly. "Apparently not ALL her memories were wiped, not like Andrew or Gordon's parents. But the person that found her took her to St. Mungo's. She can't remember anything from the past two weeks."

"It's got to be him," Cho said angrily. "He's the only logical suspect."

"I agree..." Harry jumped to his feet. "I'm going to find out where he lives and I'm going over there now. I know he's got her."

"Harry, I'm not letting you go there by yourself!"

"I've go to go Cho," Harry said. "I don't know what he's planning on doing..." he raked his hands back through his hair.

"Harry...," Cho said, already knowing that he was blaming himself for Hermione's disappearance. "This isn't your fault."

"How is it not my fault?" Harry demanded. "I let her go to class! I could have insisted that she stay home or I could have gone with her."

"And you and I both know she'd never have stood for it," Cho said, trying to reason with him. "You had no idea he'd try something like this!"

Harry's shoulders slumped. "No, I didn't..." he sat down hard on the sofa again. "What am I going to do?"

"You're going to keep a level head and not do anything irrational and you're going to bring her home," Cho said putting an arm around him.

Harry leaned into her as he desperately fought his fear. "Right," he said, his voice cracking. "I'm going over to the Ministry to report this. Will you get Neville for me from the party?"

Cho nodded. "I-I think you need to tell her parents, too. I didn't get into specifics with them, but her mother is really worried."

"All right," Harry said. They both got up and Cho gave him an impulsive hug. "I'll... I'll find her..." he said.

"I know you will," Cho said, trying to hold back her own tears.

*** *** ***

Hermione paced back and forth across the bedroom. She was tired but refused to fall asleep, and she also refused to drink any of the water or use the loo for fear of Gordon walking in on her. She'd never been so terror stricken as she had when she woke up and found him lying right next to her.

Discreetly, Hermione removed her locket from around her neck. Part of her was afraid to watch and see if Harry knew she was missing, although she was sure he had to know by now. She cracked it open and saw her fiancé heading down the pavement, although it was too dark to see where he was going. Harry had a determined look on his face and her heart leapt. He knew she was missing. He knew and he was going to find her!

Gordon's flat was a mess from all the research he'd been doing. He hoped to do some tidying up while Hermione rested. Deciding he should probably make her something to eat, he headed into the kitchen and had just pulled out some bread and mayonnaise when someone pounded at the door, startling him.

Harry hit the door as hard as he could. "Open the fucking door Devereaux!" he snarled.

Neville stood behind Harry and wanted to hold his friend back, but he knew that if the situation was reversed and they were looking for Cho, he'd be out for blood just like Harry.

Gordon walked over to the door where he was holding Hermione. He made sure the silencing charm he'd placed on the door was in place before calmly walking to the door and opening it. "Potter," Gordon said, sounding surprised. "Whatever brings you here?"

"Where the hell is she?" Harry snapped.

"Sorry?" Gordon asked.

"Where. Is. Hermione." Harry asked through clenched teeth, ready to slam his fist into Gordon's smug face.

"How would I know?" Gordon asked with a shrug.

"I think you DO know," Harry was growing angrier at the other man's coolness. "I know all about you, you fucking nutcase. All about your parents, and Andrew Murphy... and now you've got my fiancée holed up somewhere and I WANT TO KNOW WHERE!" he finished with a shout.

Hermione pressed against the door, trying desperately to hear what was going on. "Harry!" she screamed. "I'm here! I'm in here Harry!"

"Harry," Neville said, trying to hold his friend back, but Harry just shrugged him off.

"Hermione finally came to her senses, did she?" Gordon couldn't resist asking. ""I guess you find it hard to believe that she'd ever walk away from you willingly, isn't that right?"

"She'd never walk away from me," Harry returned coldly. "We're going to be married," his voice turned snide. "Why would she walk away from the person she said was the best part about her life?"

"I don't know why you're looking at me for answers," Gordon retorted. "You ought to look in the mirror if you want to know why she left you..."

Neville felt the urge to smack the smug, satisfied look off of Gordon's face. He couldn't believe the nerve of this bloke.

"She didn't LEAVE ME!" Harry roared, grabbing Gordon by the shirt and slamming him to the wall. A glass vase on the table shattered suddenly.

"Harry!" Neville said, trying to hold him back.

"You should listen to your friend, Potter," Gordon said with a cold laugh. "You wouldn't want to do anything to land yourself in jail, would you?"

"I'm not the one who's going to land up in jail," Harry's eyes took on a disturbing glow. "For the last time Devereaux, where is Hermione?"

"SHE'S NOT HERE!" Gordon shot back angrily. "Search the place if you want to. You won't find her here."

Harry was about to stomp down the hallway when Neville pulled him back. "Don't trust him Harry. You'll turn your back and he'll shoot you down."

"The Great Harry Potter afraid of me?" Gordon said with a cold laugh.

"Hardly," Harry snapped. "I'll fucking kill you if I find her here."

"You stay with him," Neville said to Harry. "I'll go and check the rest of his flat."

Harry stared at Gordon as he pulled his wand from his pocket and held it at him. "Fine," he said tightly.

Neville nodded and pulled his own wand out as he walked down the hall and checked the first door on the right which was a bathroom. The room directly opposite was Gordon's bedroom and it was just as messy as the living room. The room in the back of the flat was unlocked and Neville opened up the door slowly and saw that it was just a guest room. There was a single bed in the corner and a chest of drawers. The room looked as if no one had been in there for quite some time.

Harry never once took his eyes off Gordon Devereaux but he felt the hair on the back of his neck prickle, as if someone was calling out to him.

Hermione watched as Neville looked around the room and she wondered why he couldn't hear her screams or see her. What sort of spell had Gordon placed on the room? It was as if Neville couldn't see her. "NEVILLE!" she called out, reaching out to touch him, but her hand felt as if it hit a solid brick wall just before she could reach out for him. "I'M RIGHT HERE!!"

Neville wrinkled his brow. There was something very off about this room but he couldn't figure out what it was. He walked over to the bed- it was warm, as if someone had been lying on it recently.

"Nice scar on your lip there," Harry said in a taunting voice.

Gordon cursed himself for not doing some sort of concealing charm on that before he answered the door. "Nice scar on your forehead," he countered. "Too bad he couldn't finish the job."

Harry sneered and pushed his wand at him. "I'll shut you up permanently," he said.

Hermione's heart sank as Neville walked out of the room. "NO!" she cried out to him in vain. "NEVILLE!"

Neville shut the door behind him, but couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't quite right about it. "I couldn't find anything," he said, coming back into the living room. "She's not here, Harry."

"She has to be," Harry said.

"Well, she's not," Gordon said, struggling out of Harry's grasp. "Now, if you don't mind, I'm a law-abiding wizard. You have no right to come barging into my home accusing me of something I didn't do. If I do see Hermione, I'll have to applaud her for having the courage to walk away from a lifetime of being your lapdog."

Before Harry realised what he was doing, and before Neville could stop him, his fist connected directly with Gordon's eye. "Fucking bastard," he spat. "I know you know where she is. And when I find out, we'll finish this."

Gordon rubbed at his eye and sunk against the wall. "You're superiors will hear about this," Gordon warned. "By the time I'm through with you, you won't even be able to mop floors at The Leaky Cauldron."

"Right," Harry snarled as Neville pulled him out.

"Good night, Harry," Gordon called out. "Have fun sleeping alone..."

*** *** ***

Lavender put a comforting arm around her Aunt Elinore. It was after two in the morning and they were all sitting in the living room wondering what in the world was going on and wishing someone would tell them…something. The only thing they knew for sure was that Hermione had never made it to the engagement party.

Robert had even tried calling the Muggle police, but they'd informed him that a person had to be missing for a full 24-hour time period before they could be considering "missing." Everyone's nerves were pretty much on edge and when the doorbell chimed suddenly, Lavender jumped in her seat.

"Did you find her?" she flung the door open hopefully.

Harry looked about as lost as Lavender had ever seen him and she knew without him saying a word that he hadn't. She ushered him inside.

"Harry?" Elinore said, her own eyes red from crying. "Please tell us what's going on!"

Harry sighed heavily. "There's... no sign of her." he barely recognised his own voice. "Neville's still at the Ministry. I told them I had to come here to... to tell you that..." Harry sat down hard on the sofa.

Fresh tears welled up in Lavender's own eyes. "This can't be. Just last night, we were all here having a good time and laughing and now..."

Robert patted his niece's shoulder. "We'll find her Lavender," his own voice was gruff and Harry knew he was having a hard time keeping his own tears at bay.

"We even went to Gordon Devereaux's flat," Harry said. "He's a bloody bastard and I know that he knows something about this..."

"Gordon?" Elinore asked, confused. "What on earth does he have to do with any of this?"

Lavender looked at her aunt. "Aunt Elinore, he's really horrible..." she told them about what he'd done to his parents. "And we all know he's fancying Hermione."

"He always seemed like such a sweet boy," Elinore said, shaking her head. "I can't believe he'd have done any of this..."

"Did you know about this?" Robert interjected angrily, glaring at Harry. "You knew all about this and you didn't do anything?"

"I just found out about it," Harry stood up abruptly. "And I told her about it and she was going to stay away from him! Hermione doesn't bode well with me making decisions for her all right?"

"Stop it, both of you," Elinore said, getting between them. "My daughter is missing and we're not going to find her with the two of you fighting like this. She wouldn't...she wouldn't want..."

Robert calmed down instantly. "I'm sorry Harry," he said. "I'm just angry and..."

"I know," Harry said, his own tone softening. He knew Elinore was right. "And you want answers...I want them too."

"Right," Robert said. "I want to go back with you to this Ministry. There's got to be something I can do to help find my daughter."

"I'd like to come, too," Elinore said, wiping a tear from her cheek. "I feel so useless just sitting here."

Harry nodded numbly. "We can go now... maybe they'll have heard something." he looked at Lavender. "You with us?"

"Of course," Lavender replied. She watched as her aunt and uncle went upstairs to throw on some clothes. They'd been asleep when Cho had originally called them with the news. When she and Harry were alone, she looked at him. "Tell me the truth, Harry. This doesn't look good, does it?"

"I don't know," Harry said. "I wanted to kill him Lavender. I just KNOW that he's got her somewhere."

Lavender nodded and knew that if she got anywhere near Gordon Devereaux she'd want to kill him, too. She walked slowly over to the fireplace and looked at a photograph on the mantle. It was a Muggle photo of a five-year old Hermione and Lavender.

"Hermione always loved this photograph," Lavender said, picking it up. "I always thought my hair looked awful, but she always liked it."

Harry stepped up beside her. "Looks like the two of you were getting along even then." he smiled thinly.

"Right after they took our picture, she popped me upside the head," Lavender laughed. "I told her I'd hidden her Dr. Seuss books and she got so angry when I wouldn't tell her where they were."

That made Harry smile genuinely. "I have to get her back," he said softly.

Lavender turned around and gave him a hug. Tears spilling down her cheeks, she held him tightly. "We can't lose her, Harry. I don't know what any of us would do without her."

A few minutes later they left the Granger household and headed towards The Leaky Cauldron. "Here," Harry handed Elinore his cloak. "Wear this so no one asks questions..."

Elinore took the cloak and held on to her husband's hand as they followed Harry and Lavender.

Harry led everyone through the crowded tavern, keeping other witches and wizards at bay with the rather murderous look on his face. They went through several streets and to the Ministry building, which seemed to glow even though it was the middle of the night.

Under normal circumstances, Elinore and Robert would probably have been looking at everything in awe and wonder and unload question after question at their niece and future son-in-law about the goings on of the Wizarding World. As it were, these were not normal circumstances and they had only one thing on their minds---finding out what happened to Hermione.

*** *** ***

Hermione tossed uncomfortably on the bed while her mind worked furiously. Why hadn't Neville seen her in the room? She'd been only inches away yet unable to touch him. He hadn't heard her cry for help and she had watched them again with her locket. "What sort of spell could be masking me from everyone's sight?" she asked herself.

Gordon knocked on the door and without waiting for her response he opened the door and walked inside carrying a tray of food. "I hope you're hungry," he said merrily. "I made your favourite---turkey on wheat, and a nice cold glass of pumpkin juice."

"I don't want anything from you," Hermione scrambled to the opposite side of the room, getting as close to the door as she could get.

"It won't work," Gordon said, setting the tray down on the beside table. "I've set really strong wards on this room. The only way you can get out is if I let you go and I'm not about to do that."

"Why not?" Hermione demanded, not about to show him how frightened she truly was. "There's nothing in this world that could make me want to stay here with you."

"That's where you're wrong, Hermione," Gordon said pleasantly, as if he and Hermione were having a normal, everyday conversation. "You really should eat, Hermione. I would have brought you this sooner, but we had company, as I'm sure you heard."

"I heard," Hermione said flatly, not moving away from the wall. "What the hell sort of charm or spell did you put on the room?" her arms crossed over her chest.

"I'm not about to tell you that, love," Gordon said with a laugh. "But, since you're not in the mood for eating, how about you do a little writing?"

"Don't call me love," Hermione snapped. "And I want my ring back."

"You don't need it," Gordon answered, a smile plastered on his face. "You're not going to marry him, so why should you wear his ring?"

Hermione stared at him. "Who the HELL do you think you are?" she felt her control start to slip away. "I AM marrying Harry when I get out of here. I wouldn't marry you if you were the last man on earth."

"YOU WILL NEVER MARRY HIM!" Gordon shouted angrily. He grabbed her by the arm and threw her down on the bed. He picked up the parchment and threw it in her face. "You're going to write him a letter and you're going to tell him that you don't love him anymore and you never want to see him again."

"No I'm not!" Hermione shouted back.

"If you don't," Gordon warned. "I'll kill him, Hermione."

Hermione stared at him. "Only if he doesn't kill you first," she said coldly.

Gordon laughed. "He was right here tonight, Hermione! Right here! And he had no idea that you were right under his nose!"

"He'll find me," Hermione replied. "I know he will. And that's only if I don't make my way out of here first."

Gordon glared at her. He couldn't understand why she was making this so difficult. "I'll give you an hour to write him a letter," Gordon said calmly. "And it had better be convincing." Without another word, he walked out of the room, leaving her alone.

Hermione stared down at the parchment for a long time. She had every intention of refusing to write Harry a letter breaking up with him when an idea occurred to her.

'Dear Harry,

I wish I could end things a little easier than this. I left you at my classroom earlier today and it hit me- I'm not in love with you. I'm in love with the fame you brought to me. Please don't look for me, as I'm not anywhere obvious. Tell my parents I'll be in touch. I will remember what we shared.

Hermione'

She looked at the note with a sense of satisfaction, hoping that she'd put enough of a slant on the name 'Gordon' in the letter that they'd stick out to Harry, but not to her captor.

In the kitchen, Gordon slowly nursed a cup of coffee and waited to check back in on Hermione. He'd thought up the letter idea right after Potter had left. He wanted to do something to convince the idiot that Hermione had left him and wouldn't be coming back. The letter was the perfect solution.

A few minutes later, he opened the door and saw her sitting on the bed, the letter in her lap. "Good evening, my love," he said smiling sweetly at her. "You did as I asked then?"

"I told you to stop calling me love," Hermione snapped.

Gordon frowned. "Hermione...you'd really make this easier if you'd just give in to me."

"Ugh," Hermione was disgusted. "You make me sick Gordon."

Gordon held his hand out. "Let me see the letter."

Hermione threw it in his direction. "I hope you're satisfied," she said coldly.

He picked the letter up from the floor and smiled at her as he unfolded it. "We'll see..."

Hermione crossed her arms and stared at him as he read through the short letter. She was slightly nervous that he'd catch her slanted letters and force her to rewrite it.

Gordon laughed as he read the letter. "'I'll remember what we shared'," he read aloud. "Sappy, much?"

"Shut up," Hermione snapped. "I bloody did what you wanted. It's not like Harry's going to believe that anyway."

"I think you're wrong," Gordon said smugly. "You give him far too much credit, Hermione. Underneath it all, he's as insecure as anyone else. He's blaming himself for what happened to you and I imagine, deep down, he wondered if you were with him because of that scar."

"I don't care about his scar or what he's done," Hermione shouted, getting up off the bed. "I'm with Harry because I LOVE HIM, not because he's forcing me to be!"

Gordon pocketed the letter in his trousers. "Why do you say those things when you know how much it hurts me?"

"I don't care if it hurts you," Hermione replied. "You don't think you're hurting me by keeping me locked in this stupid bedroom away from my friends and family?"

"Once we're in our special place, you'll change your mind," Gordon said quietly. "We'll be leaving in a couple of days, Hermione. You can't hold on to those people who tried to change you and take you away from me. You won't need them anymore. You'll have me."

"I don't want you," Hermione said frostily. "I despise you."

Her words stung him, but he knew that things would be different really soon. He nodded and took her tray of uneaten food from the table. "Good night," he said softly. "Sleep well."

"I want some water." Hermione demanded. "And if you do anything to it I'll figure out a way to curse you."

"Fair enough," Gordon said, walking out of the room. Within a few minutes, he returned with a glass of water and handed it to Hermione.

Hermione snatched it away and tried to slam the door in his face.

Gordon pushed the door back. "DON'T YOU TREAT ME LIKE I DON'T COUNT! YOU WILL TREAT ME WITH RESPECT!" he shouted angrily at her.

"Don't you dare order me around!" Hermione shouted back. "You're bloody keeping me here and I will NOT TREAT YOU WITH ANY RESPECT!"

"FINE!" Gordon yelled angrily and slammed the door behind him, leaving her alone. She was just upset and was taking it out on him, he told himself. Things would change soon enough.

*** *** ***

At around nine the next morning, Neville walked to the cottage to check on Harry. He knew his friend wouldn't be going to training in light of everything that had happened. When he'd left Harry last night, his friend wasn't in good shape. Hermione's parents weren't any better and Neville had never been more at a loss as to what to say or do as he was last night during the briefing. Lupin had told them all that Gordon would be put on surveillance, but that without evidence they couldn't bring him in.

This didn't go over well with either Harry or Robert. When they'd parted ways at the Ministry, both men looked broken. Neville couldn't imagine what they were going through. Robert was missing a daughter and Harry was missing the love of his life. Neville shuddered to think what he'd do without Cho and Chiaki. It was a pain he didn't want to ever experience.

Neville walked up the steps and rang the doorbell.

Harry flung the door open immediately; he had been sitting on the floor directly behind it. "Oh..." his face fell.

"Hey," Neville said apologetically. He knew his was not the face Harry had wanted to see. His friend wore only jeans and a t-shirt. He looked tired and haggard. "I guess asking how you are would be a stupid question?"

"Yeah," Harry replied, holding the door open. "There's been nothing new. Nothing." he sighed heavily.

"Did you get any sleep?" Neville asking, coming inside.

"I don't know..." Harry rubbed his eyes. "I don't think so."

Neville nodded. "Cho sends her best. She would have come with me, but Chiaki still had a fever..."

"It's all right," Harry said, his voice rough and scratchy.

Neville walked into the kitchen and began to make some coffee, feeling that in someway perhaps this would help.

"Lupin wants to see us at headquarters at eleven," Neville said over his shoulder.

"I wanted to stay there last night but he told me to come home," Harry said, looking around bleakly.

"He wanted you to get some sleep," Neville said pouring some coffee into a mug and handing it to Harry. "Come on, mate. You've got to have something. You're going to need your strength."

Harry accepted the coffee. "Thanks," he muttered.

A few minutes later, he and Harry were sitting at the table, eating toast and jam and drinking their coffee. Neville was eating, but Harry wasn't doing much of anything. The doorbell chimed and Neville got up to answer the door.

Harry nearly vaulted out of his seat but Neville was still first to the door.

Neville opened the door and found...no one. He was about to shut the door when he noticed a plain white envelope on the floor.

"Harry..." he called out to his friend. "Look..."

"What?" Harry snatched the envelope away. He pulled a piece of parchment out and something heavy dropped to the floor.

Neville bent down and picked it up and his heart dropped as he handed the ring...Hermione's ring...back to his friend.

Harry stared disbelievingly at it for a moment. "This..." his hand started to shake. "Hermione sent me a letter breaking up?"

Neville didn't know what to say. He'd never considered that Hermione would ever break up with Harry. From what his friend had told him, Hermione had been over the moon about the engagement.

"This can't be right," Harry said several minutes later. "Hermione would never break up with me, and she'd certainly never break up with me like this."

"What does it say?" Neville asked. Harry handed Neville the letter. As he read it, Neville shook his head. It seemed really cold, distant and detached. From what Neville knew of Hermione, it didn't sound like her style.

"This isn't right," Harry said, still staring at the note. "Let's go down to the Ministry building now. I want to show this to Lupin."

"Good idea," Neville said.

Harry stuffed the note into his pocket and pulled a cloak on. He felt more alert as they left the cottage and was hoping this letter could help him figure out where Hermione was.

"Have you spoken to her parents last night?" Neville asked as they made their way toward the Ministry.

"Not since we left," Harry replied. "I'll owl them if we find out anything," he walked quicker.

Lupin was sitting in his office when Harry and Neville arrived. He looked about as tired as Harry and Neville knew that Lupin must have been here all night.

"Harry," Lupin said, with a sympathetic smile. "I thought I told you I didn't want to see you here until 11..."

"Here," Harry yanked the note out of his pocket. "Someone put this on the doorstep of the cottage."

Lupin took the letter and read it carefully.

"I don't think she wrote it," Harry said quickly. "Either that or she was forced to write it."

Lupin looked thoughtfully up at him and nodded. "I'm inclined to agree with you..."

Harry nodded eagerly, although Neville looked more reserved. "What can we do to find out if she wrote it?" he asked quietly.

Lupin didn't answer. He was re-reading the letter again, but this time he'd turned his desk lamp on and he seemed lost in thought as he pored over the letter's contents. A smile broke over his face and he looked at Harry. "Do you notice anything different in the letter?" Lupin asked, handing the letter back to him.

Harry took it back and perused it more carefully. "Wait a minute," he said. "Some of the letters are... slanted..." he read over it again. "G...o...r...d...o...n...."

"Damn smart girl you have, Harry," Lupin said with a grin. "Brilliant..."

Harry was seething and barely heard his mentor. "That... fucking bastard..." he swore. "I'm going to kill him."

"Harry, I know you don't want to hear this now, but I cannot allow you to do that..." Lupin said quickly, getting to his feet.

"Don't tell me what to do," Harry snapped angrily. "He's trying to take Hermione from me!"

"And he will if you end up in Azkaban for murder!" Lupin retorted. "How many years did Sirius lose to that place, Harry?"

"Don't bring up Sirius now," Harry held up his hand.

"Harry stop it," Neville spoke up. "Lupin's right. If you kill him you'll go to Azkaban and then your life will be a real mess."

"I know you want to get her back," Lupin said calmly. "We all want to get her back for you. There are ways we have to go about doing this...legally. If Hermione were here, she'd tell you the same thing. You know I'm right."

Harry didn't want to admit it but he did know that. "Fine," he said shortly. "What do we do?"

"We need to act quickly," Lupin said. "I imagine Gordon would like nothing more than to get her as far away from you as possible. As you know, we've had him on surveillance and he's not left his flat."

"I'll go back over there..." Harry began.

"We already went there once, do you really think he's going to let us back in there?" Neville asked.

"He won't have much choice," Lupin said, pulling on his cloak. "I don't think its such a good idea if you go, Harry."

"Why not?" Harry demanded.

"He has a bit of a point," Neville chimed in, earning a rather nasty glare from Harry. "I just mean, you're about ready to break the bloke's neck. If the two of you get in the same room, it's just asking for trouble."

"He asked for trouble the moment he decided it was within his fucking right to take my fiancée!" Harry nearly exploded.

"Okay, okay," Lupin said quickly. "Harry...if I let you both go with me to question him...you have to promise me that you won't do anything that I'll make you regret. Can you give me that promise?"

Harry hesitated. "I don't know," he said, not wanting to lie to Lupin.

"I'll go along to keep him in line," Neville said, knowing that with all likelihood he was no match for Harry, but wanting to be there just the same.

"This is against my better judgment," Lupin said shaking his head. "But let's go..."

*** *** ***

Hermione was still pacing around the small room the next morning. She had dozed off a few times, never sleeping heavily for fear of what she might wake up to. Instead she braced herself against the door whenever she felt too tired.

Gordon had not been in to see her yet, but she reasoned it was still early. She missed knowing what time it was and even worse, she missed her wand. If only she were capable of wandless magic, it would certainly come in handy right about now.

After he'd left Hermione alone last night, Gordon had drank himself into a stupor. Her words kept echoing in his head about how she didn't love him, she didn't want him. He had to do something to block it out. As he woke up the next morning, his head throbbed in agony. He was angry at her for making him do this and the only thing that calmed him was his knowledge that by tomorrow evening Hermione would be his forever.

Hermione planted herself against the door again, it had become her personal alert system as to when Gordon decided to come in. She changed into one of her jumpers that he'd stolen and it helped her feel a little better, helped her feel a little more alert as she kept trying to think of ways to get herself out of this situation without the aid of magic.

Gordon showered and changed clothes. He still felt quite nauseous, but he figured it would pass. There was too much to do today. He tried to open the door, but found he couldn't. "Hermione?" he asked, trying to stay calm. "Please stand back from the door."

"Go away!" she called out.

"We have loads to prepare love," Gordon said through clenched teeth. "Tomorrow is our wedding day after all."

His words were met with silence for a moment. "My wedding day is actually next June, not tomorrow." her voice was sharp.

"YOU'RE NOT MARRYING POTTER!" Gordon called out, pushing forcibly on the door, knocking Hermione back and allowing him entry into the room. He stood over her and felt an overwhelming rage flow through him. He raised his hand back to strike her, but froze as he heard loud pounding on the front door.

Hermione glared back at him refusing to cower and ready to kick or strike back if he dared hit her.

Gordon's hand dropped to his side as he became alarmed at what he'd been about to do. "I-I'm sorry, Hermione," he said softly. The pounding on the door continued. "Someone's here. Why is someone here? Won't they just leave us alone?"

"Because you're sick and they're all here looking for me because they know you're the only one who would have tried something like this!" Hermione snapped back.

Gordon stared back at her, wondering what he was going to do. "I-I'll get rid of them," he finally said, walking out of the room.

Hermione tried to follow him but was met with an invisible shield over the door. "Let me out of here!" she screamed angrily.

Gordon answered the door to find a man he didn't know staring at him, flanked by Potter and his friend Longbottom. "Not you again," Gordon said, rolling his eyes at Harry.

Harry opened his mouth to snap back but Neville silenced him with a look. "Don't," he whispered.

"Gordon Devereaux, I presume?" Lupin asked, producing a piece of parchment from his cloak pocket. "I am here on official Ministry business to question you in the disappearance of one Hermione Jane Granger. You'll see that is an official paper signed by the Minister himself authorizing me to question you."

Harry bit back a snide remark at the look on Gordon's face as he reluctantly stood back to allow them in.

Gordon grabbed some of the discarded clothing and newspapers on his sofa and cleared them away so Lupin could sit. "Does he have to be here?" Gordon asked, pointing at Harry.

"Don't worry about him," Lupin replied calmly, sending a look at his two trainees warning them to keep quiet. "This is between myself and you."

Gordon sat down on the chair opposite the sofa and looked at Lupin. "I have nothing to hide."

"Well then you won't mind answering some questions," Lupin interjected smoothly.

"Of course not," Gordon said, leaning back in his chair.

"Good," Lupin said. "I'd like to know about your friendship with Hermione."

Gordon smiled. "Hermione's one of my greatest friends. I've known her since we were kids. I hadn't seen her for quite some time, of course, but we ran into each other right before school started and we rekindled our friendship."

Harry snorted and Neville nudged him hard in the side. "All right," Lupin said. "Do you know of anyone who might have a reason to say... kidnap her? Anyone who disliked her?"

Again, Gordon rolled her eyes. "Is that what this is all about? Just because she finally had the good sense to leave him, everyone thinks she must have been kidnapped or something! Face it, Potter. She got tired of being your lapdog...plain and simple."

"Now you wait just a minute..." Harry erupted off the chair he was sitting on.

"Harry!" Neville said, getting to his feet and holding his friend back.

"She used to complain about it all the time," Gordon continued. "How she used to have to dress a certain way, act a certain way. How he wouldn't keep his hands off of her and she knew that if she didn't put out, he'd leave her in a heartbeat..."

"Hermione would never say that!" Harry shouted.

Upstairs, Hermione watched him breathlessly with her locket, hoping they'd somehow figure out she was up in that room. "Come on Harry..." she pleaded.

"Harry..." Lupin said, shooting him a warning look. "Mr. Devereaux, did you see Miss Granger Monday morning in class?"

"Yes I did," Gordon replied smoothly. "We worked on our project together and then she said she had to be back home to make him something to eat or he'd leave." he shook his head.

"He's lying," Harry whispered angrily to Neville.

"And what about Anna Golden?" Lupin continued. "Did you see her in class Monday morning as well?"

"She... left early," Gordon said. "Something about an appointment..."

"Your fellow classmates report her staying after class to talk with the professor," Lupin said, looking at his notes. "Yet, you're saying Anna left early. I guess your other classmates would be..."

"Confused?" Gordon shrugged.

"All ten of them would be confused?" Lupin asked.

"Probably," Gordon replied. "They don't take things seriously like Hermione and I do."

Lupin nodded. "And what about Andrew Murphy? Do you know anyone by that name, Mr. Devereaux?"

"Sounds vaguely familiar," Gordon said airily. "Look, I've got loads to do today before I go to class, so if we're going to play name that person, I'm afraid I'll have to ask you all to leave."

"I think I'd like to continue questioning you," Lupin answered firmly. "If you'd prefer we speed things up, I'd like Harry and Neville to search your apartment again while I finish questioning you. You wouldn't have any objection to that, would you?"

Gordon didn't know what to say. On one hand, he knew they couldn't find Hermione even if they were inches from her due to his spells. Yet he hated the idea of letting Potter walk around his place. "I guess not..." he muttered.

Neville and Harry stood up and when they were around the corner out of Gordon's earshot, Neville pulled Harry aside. "You need to check out his spare bedroom. Something about it seemed a bit odd to me."

"All right," Harry drew his wand. "Will you check his bedroom and the bathroom? Maybe I can figure out what's wrong with the other room."

Neville nodded and walked away as Harry went in the opposite direction.

Harry opened the door, his eyes travelling intently around the room. Neville was right, something was definitely odd. He moved further in, his wand extended.

Hermione's heart leapt as she saw him and she slowly got to her feet wondering if he was real. "Harry," she called out to him, tears welling up in her eyes. "It's me...I'm here."

Harry turned, it almost felt as if he heard his name being called. He moved slowly over to the bed, moving his hand over it. It was warm and the pillow almost seemed to have an indent of a head on it.

Hermione had forgotten for a moment that the spells Gordon had placed on the room wouldn't allow Harry to see or hear her, but she couldn't stop the reflex she had to touch him. Slowly, she reached out her hand toward his shoulder.

Harry felt a pressure on his right shoulder and spun around. "Is someone there?" he asked hesitantly.

"Harry," she said pleadingly. "Please, you have to hear me...I'm here. I'm standing right in front of you."

Harry stared straight in front of him, wondering what on earth was going on. "Neville," he called out. "Can you come in here?"

"What's going on?" Neville asked coming inside. "Did you find something?"

"I have this crazy idea," Harry began.

"What?" Neville asked.

"What if... what if Gordon Devereaux put a charm or a spell on this room, a masking charm of sorts?" Harry asked. "And we can't see what's truly here?" he looked around. "I know this sounds mad but I can almost feel her in here."

"It doesn't sound mad at all, Harry," Neville said, nodding. "I felt the same way yesterday when we were here."

Harry felt a strong surge of hope. "So that means... she could be in here right now. Sitting right here!" he looked at the empty spot next to him.

Hermione beamed at him, wishing he could see how proud she was of him for figuring it out. Surely, he must know some way of finding out how to break this spell. "I am here, Harry," she said softly, reaching out for him again. "I'm right here."

Harry wasn't sure if it was his imagination running wild but he could feel someone caressing his hand. "We have to think of a way to get Gordon to raise all the wards he's got on this flat." he said, thinking fast.

"You're never going to get him to do that," Neville said. "I'm surprised he's let us stay this long. Did you see the look on his face when Lupin asked you and me to look around?"

"He didn't want us to and now I know why," Harry got up. "We need to tell Lupin about this. Maybe he'll figure out a way..."

"Harry! Neville!" Lupin called out to them.

"We better go," Neville said quietly.

Harry paused a moment. "Hermione..." he said quietly. "If you're really here... I'm coming back for you..."

"Don't go...," she said, wishing there was some way to grab his arm. "Please, Harry..."

He left the room, feeling more determined than ever to put Gordon in his place once and for all. He met Neville at the foot of the short stairwell and they joined Lupin in the living room.

"I've answered your questions and now I want you all to leave," Gordon said angrily. "You've invaded my privacy and made me feel like a common criminal."

"What sort of wards do you have on this place?" Neville asked, trying hard to sound casual.

"That's none of your business," Gordon answered, breezing past Lupin and opening up the door for his unwanted and uninvited guests.

Harry cast a stricken glance at the stairwell, knowing if he left, he may never see Hermione again. "Why won't you answer us?" he challenged. "Got something to hide?"

Gordon stared at Harry. "I have nothing to hide, Potter. I have standard security wards in place just like everyone else. Satisfied?"

Lupin pulled on his arm. "Come on Harry, there's nothing more we can do here."

"Yes," Gordon said, smirking at Harry. "Go along like a good lad, Harry. There's nothing more for you here."

Harry glared at him. "I swear if I ever find out you did anything to her I'll kill you," his green eyes darkened dangerously.

Gordon would never admit it, of course, but the look in Potter's eyes frightened him somewhat. He knew that Potter meant what he said. But, Gordon told himself, by the time Potter figured it all out, he and Hermione would be joined together...forever. "I-I want you to leave, now," Gordon said.

Lupin pulled on his arm again and Gordon slammed the door in their faces. "Harry I told you no outbursts!" the professor looked angry.

"I never promised you I wouldn't say anything to him!" Harry retorted angrily. "That bloody bastard's lucky I didn't kill him on the spot!"

"We were in the spare room upstairs," Neville cut in. "We both think he put some sort of masking spell on the room to hide it's contents."

"Masking spell?" Lupin asked. "How could you tell?"

"There was something very odd about the room," Harry tried to explain. "I could feel her in there. And I kept feeling pressure, on my hand, on my shoulder..."

"And I felt the same thing yesterday when I looked in there," Neville said, backing up his friend.

Lupin looked at his two trainees. "It sounds plausible but we can't go back in there..."

"WHAT?" Harry exploded. "You expect me to leave her in there with him?"

"We can't go back in until we get another permit," Lupin said. "I'm sorry Harry. If I go against the Ministry I could lose my job. We'll go right now and come back."

"Lupin's right," Neville said, dejectedly.

Harry shook his head. "There's not time enough for that. He's too smart to stick around now..." he began walking away fast.

"Harry...," Lupin called after him, but he'd already started for the stairs. Lupin looked at Neville. "Go with him...make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. I'm going to head back to the Ministry."

Harry practically ran to the Granger's house. He was glad it wasn't far from the entrance to The Leaky Cauldron. He pounded on the door, hoping Robert and Elinore were home.

Robert opened the door. "Harry? What is it? Have you heard anything? Please tell me, she's not..."

"I need you to come with me," Harry said in a rush. I know where she is. We have to go now before he takes her away."

Robert didn't need to ask who Harry was talking about. "Let's go."

Harry pulled him through The Leaky Cauldron and the two of them ran straight into Neville. "Don't try and stop us," Harry said.

"I wasn't going to," Neville said. "I just don't want you to end up in Azkaban, Harry."

"I'm not going to kill him," Harry said, not stopping. "I'm going to get my fiancée back."

Hermione was pacing back and forth in the small bedroom wondering what was going on. It had been nearly twenty minutes since Harry had left and she was getting anxious. She'd just pulled her locket out when Gordon suddenly stormed into the room. "We have to go now," he said anxiously, laying a suitcase on the bed.

Hermione stared at him. "I'm not going anywhere."

"There's no time to argue," Gordon spat at her. "We have to go. They know...they know that I have you."

"It's about time," Hermione said coldly.

"I misjudged Potter," Gordon said, going over to the closet and hastily pulling her jumpers and shirts from the hangers. "He does seem to care about you."

"Very smart," Hermione crossed her arms over her chest. "Maybe you aren't as pathetic as I thought."

Gordon stopped what he was doing and glared at her. He didn't say anything as the anger seemed to surge through him. He took a few steps menacingly toward her.

"Hit me," Hermione challenged. "I'll bet you can't do it."

"I'm not going to hit you," he said, undoing his belt.

Hermione scoffed. "You're nothing but a coward."

Gordon leered at her and tossed his belt to the floor. He threw the suitcase to the floor as well and then grabbed Hermione by the arm. "I'm going to make you forget about him."