Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Thanks again you guys for another round of great reviews!

A lot of you don't understand how Hermione can be so blind- the thing is, she doesn't SEE Gordon doing all this, she doesn't know what he's truly like… although at the end of this chapter you might want to kick her for being quite naïve. We don't want to make this a monster authors note that most of you will probably skip over so just remember, Hermione's more of a books person, not necessarily one to read people as easily.

Thanks again all, and please let us know what you think!

Harry sighed heavily as he rubbed his eyes, which were blurring quite badly even through his glasses. He and Hermione were both in their living room studying- Harry had tried several times to push the books away and pull her down next to him on the floor but she'd rebuffed him every time, saying she had to get this done or she'd be heading for the University library.

"I'm sick of this rain," he stood up, putting his forehead to the glass. "That's all it's been doing this past week."

"It's a good thing we're not outside then," Hermione said, not looking up from her book.

"Yeah," Harry said sourly.

"You realize you've been looking at the same page for nearly thirty minutes," Hermione said, glancing at the book on his lap.

"I can't read any more," Harry replied. "It's hurting my eyes."

"Just take a break then," Hermione said, highlighting another passage in her text.

Harry rolled his eyes. "I've been on a damn break." he snapped.

"O-Kay," Hermione said, closing her book. "I think I'll just go to the library since you're obviously in a tetchy mood."

"What's going to the library going to do?" Harry asked. "It's not like I'm jumping on you here! And I'm not sitting here making all sorts of noise!"

"I never said you were," Hermione retorted. "Look, Harry. We're both on edge from classes. I still have quite a bit to do and I don't want you and I to get in an argument about this. So, I think it'd be best if I just went to the library."

"No," Harry said. "Don't leave... I'm not going to argue with you about it." he slumped down next to her on the sofa. "I guess I've just had it with Thackeray. He's been worse than ever this week. If Lupin hadn't been in the room, I have no doubt he would have put me on probation simply for doing the demonstration spell he set us out to do!"

"The more I hear about this Thackeray the less I like him," Hermione said indignantly. "How can he get away with treating you like this? You're the best student in that class. You could probably teach him a thing or two."

"Probably," Harry grumbled. "I hate him. He picks on Neville too just because he's a friend of mine."

"That's so unfair," Hermione commented. Harry shrugged. Although she knew that she had work to do, she also knew that Harry needed to do something to take his mind off of training. An idea sprang to her head and she leapt to her feet and dimmed the lights in the living room all as a clueless Harry watched. With a look back at him, she walked over to the stereo.

"What are you doing I thought you had work to do?" Harry asked, confused.

"I do, but we both need a break," she said as she opened up the cabinet that housed their CD collection. "Get on your feet, Potter."

Harry smiled. "What are you planning Granger?" he asked.

Finally selecting the music she wanted, she placed the CD in the player. With a cheeky grin, she repeated the same words he'd said to her the first night she'd met him. "You don't think you're getting out of here that easily, do you? You didn't come here to just watch, did you?" she asked, holding out her hand, a gleam of excitement in her eyes.

Harry laughed. "You really have to think of your own lines," he teased while his eyes conveyed his appreciation at her distracting him.

"As lines go, it worked pretty well," she said, as the sultry music began to play. "Worked on me, didn't it?"

He grinned. "It sure did," he pulled her close. "And I'm glad for that. Every day I'm glad for that."

She smiled as she rested her cheek on his chest as they slowly swayed to the music. "You know this is my favourite place in the world...in your arms. There's no place I'd rather be."

Harry kissed the side of her head. "Same here," he replied softly. "If I could spend the rest of my life here I would." he exhaled slowly. "Nothing but us..."

"Sounds like heaven to me," Hermione whispered.

They remained together until a new song began, a saucier Latin style song. Harry knew it well and he twirled her around, her hair flying behind her as they began to move.

"We should do this more often," Hermione said, raising her voice to be heard over the music. She giggled as he dipped her and then slowly brought her back up with their faces inches apart. Both of them were slightly breathless from the dance and Hermione knew that if she acted on what she was feeling at the moment, she could kiss studying for the rest of the night goodbye. Looking into those green eyes, her decision was made and she hungrily claimed his lips.

Harry kissed her back, his hands moving from her lower hips up around her waist to pull her as close as possible. Her fingers twisted through his hair, making it even messier than normal. "Yeah, we should definitely do this more often. Once or twice a day?" he joked, making her laugh.

"All of our friends think we already do," Hermione answered back. She ran her fingers up and down his chest. "If we were as active as they think we are, we'd probably find it difficult to walk."

Harry smiled. "Well let them think what they want then," he kissed her again, letting his fingers wander this time underneath her jumper.

"We shouldn't," she said trying to sound as if she meant it, but failing miserably. "We both should finish studying...."

"Hermione..." Harry drew out the last letter of her name. "You know you'd rather have me open you up rather than a book." he grinned devilishly.

She giggled. "I would, would I?"

"You know you would," Harry said roguishly.

"That's beside the point," she tried to argue, but he wasn't making it easy on her with what he was doing with his hands at the moment. He kissed her slowly and she felt any resistance she may have had disappear.

Harry pulled her over by the fireplace. He grabbed the blanket from the back of the sofa and tossed it on the floor. "Get down here," he beckoned.

Without a moment's hesitation, she knelt down onto the blanket and looked at him expectantly.

"Down here," Harry emphasized. He pulled her close, lifting her jumper over her head.

Her brown eyes focused on his as the upbeat music they'd been dancing to only moments before changed into a bluesy, soulful music that seemed to perfectly fit the mood. She whispered his name as his hands lingered on her now bare shoulders. "Harry..."

"Shhhh..." Harry said softly. "Show me how much you love me Hermione."

Hermione didn't say a word as she rose to her knees and worked his shirt over his head. She kissed him hungrily and brought him down with her on the blanket.

Harry moved his hands over her skin, his mouth attacking hers greedily. "I need you so bad," he breathed when they pulled apart for a split moment.

Hermione smiled up at him before lifting her head from the blanket and kissing him again. He kissed along her neckline. His lips lingered on her breasts for a few moments before he inched slowly down to her stomach. Her eyes were closed and she felt him unzip her jeans and slowly bring them down. "You're going much too slow," she said huskily.

Harry grinned. "Am I torturing you love?" he asked.

Hermione laughed. "You know damn well that you are!"

Harry tossed her jeans aside. "What do you want me to do about it?" he asked, now in a very playful mood.

"Come here," she said softly, resting on one elbow as she watched him ease out of his own jeans. "You knew all along that we'd end up doing this tonight, didn't you?" she asked, shaking her head.

"No," Harry replied. "I really didn't," he settled down next to her, both clad only in knickers and boxers by this point.

She smiled as she ran a hand over his chest, tracing imaginary circles. "I'm not so convinced," she whispered.

"Does it really matter?" Harry chuckled. "You don't seem to be putting up any sort of protest," he leaned back in, brushing his lips close to the corner of her mouth.

"Do I ever with you?" she asked, knowing that he knew exactly what he was doing. He was teasing her by bringing her right to the edge and drawing back.

"No," Harry kissed down the side of her neck, purposely skimming his mouth lightly. "Am I driving you mad yet?"

Hermione drew back from him ever so slightly and gave him a stern look. He might not want to take responsibility for the turn the evening had taken, but she'd be damned if he was going to continue torturing her like this. She brought her hand to the nape of his neck and pulled him to her, their lips clashing in a passionate kiss. "Turnabout is fair play," she said impishly.

Harry laughed. "You won't see me complaining," he stroked her hair.

"I love you," she whispered. He didn't have to say it back. She knew he felt the same in the way he looked at her. In those green eyes of his, she saw love, desire, need, and hope. "I've never felt so safe or loved as I do when I'm with you, Harry."

Harry kissed her. "And I love you," he said softly. "More than... more than I ever thought. You were such a surprise when you came into my life Hermione. And I don't regret a day since that night I first kissed you."

"Neither do I," she said, her eyes shining from the firelight. "You've changed my life, my world. I never want what we have to end."

"Well rest assured, I never plan on ending things with you," Harry said after another kiss.

Hermione smiled. "I don't plan on going anywhere either. So, I guess this means you're stuck with me."

"Aye," Harry laughed. "And that certainly doesn't sound like a bad thing."

"No, it doesn't," she said softly. She lay back on the blanket again and Harry gently settled on top of her. Tenderly, he kissed her again.

"No more talking now," his voice was muffled against her bare skin.

"No more talking," she whispered as he gently kissed her shoulder. She ran her fingers through his hair and marvelled again at how he always knew just what she needed. Tonight, he was being gentle and tender with her and it made her love him all the more. She could feel how much he loved her in every kiss, in every touch, in every look.

*** *** ***

Cho looked out the window at the falling rain. She was glad that she'd been able to get in a quick walk around the neighbourhood with Chiaki before it started. Those little afternoon walks were quite therapeutic and her medi-wizard had given her the okay to start some light exercising. She couldn't wait until she'd be able to go out dancing again.

She and Neville had a late dinner. After feeding the baby, Neville volunteered to put her down for the night. Cho made them both a cup of hot chocolate. She'd placed Neville's on the table with a heating charm in case he was longer with the baby than he'd expected

"She's finally down," Neville said wearily, a quarter of an hour later. "I'm so glad she's easing into a sleep pattern now."

"You and me both," she agreed, handing him a mug. "Thought this would be nice on a cold, rainy night."

"Thanks," Neville smiled at his wife. "You're the best."

"I have my moments," she said, walking past him and into the living room. She settled on the sofa. "So you didn't say much about training when you came home. Still as bad as ever?"

"Yeah," Neville replied. "Thackeray really has it in for Harry- and me as a result of us being mates. I'm so sick of him."

"Just remember you only have to put up with him a few more weeks," she said. "And besides, you put up with Snape for seven years; I think Thackeray should be a breeze compared to him."

"He makes Snape look like Dumbledore," Neville replied bitterly. "Harry and I can't do a thing right. He's angry with us now because we talked to Lupin about him, and so now someone sits in on all the classes to make sure he's not showing favouritism."

Cho grimaced. As the sofa was near the fire and she'd just finished off her mug of hot chocolate, she was actually feeling quite warm. "It's a little warm in here isn't it?" she asked, unbuttoning the two top buttons of her green shirt. She leaned her head back on the sofa, exposing a bit of her cleavage. With her eyes closed, she didn't see the look of frustration on her husband's face.

Neville couldn't stop his eyes from travelling over her creamy olive toned skin. They had done plenty of touching, caressing, snogging and the like, but he wanted to BE with his wife like every man should be.

"I really had a nice time on my walk today," Cho said, with her eyes still closed as she massaged the nape of her neck with her hand. "It's so good to be moving again."

Neville nodded absently, his eyes still fixed on her breasts. It was true that her pregnancy had caused her to develop some curves on her body and Neville appreciated each and every one of them.

An oblivious Cho kept on talking. "And I must have had six people stop me and tell me what a beautiful, adorable baby I have. And I may be biased, but I think she is, too. Don't you?"

When he didn't answer, she opened her eyes and stared at him. He was looking at her with a strange expression on his face. "Neville?"

"What? Yes, she's adorable," Neville jumped, flushing guiltily.

"Is everything alright?" she asked, looking quizzically at him. "And why are you standing over there? Come and sit down."

Neville thought he moved slowly but found himself sitting next to his wife a split second later.

Cho could sense something was troubling him and she had a feeling it went much deeper than problems with his training instructor. She wondered what it could be. It wasn't his grandmother. Mrs. Longbottom had actually been to the house the other day and they'd had a nice cup of tea. Maybe he was finding balancing being a father and his training to be more difficult than he imagined. She wished he'd say something to her, but he sat besides her staring straight ahead as if he didn't want to look at her.

Neville remembered his and Harry's conversation from a few days before. He hadn't the nerve to bring up the topic with Cho, especially since she hadn't mentioned details of her doctor's visits to him. "So what did... you and Gran talk about the other day?" he finally asked.

Cho smiled. "We had a right nice chat about her grandson as a child."

"Oh bloody hell," Neville said. "What sorts of embarrassing things did she tell you?"

Cho giggled. "She had me in stitches talking about how you used to run around the back lawn starkers without your nappy," she said, teasingly. "I had no idea you were an exhibitionist, love."

Neville felt himself flush a dark red. "I'll kill her," he muttered.

Cho laughed. "That's what grandparents and parents are supposed to do. Embarrass us. We'll get to do it to Chiaki one day, too."

"I suppose," Neville lay on his back, finally looking up at his wife. Her long dark hair was loose and he couldn't resist reaching over to toy with the strands.

"Is everything okay?" she asked seriously. "You seem like you've been wanting to tell me something all evening and you've been really quiet..." When he didn't say anything, a horrible thought occurred to her. "Is it because I look like I do?" she asked, a stricken expression coming over her face. "I mean, I'm walking and I'm trying to lose the weight I gained with the baby and ..."

"No!" Neville sat back up. "You've never looked more gorgeous Cho, really."

"Then why have you been acting like you have?' she asked him. "Sometimes you look as if you can't stand to look at me!"

Neville pulled his legs up and wrapped arms around them. "I've been avoiding this topic for awhile now," he said, staring at the fire.

"Please just tell me," she said a sense of dread coming over her.

Neville had no idea how to phrase what he wanted to tell her. 'It shouldn't be hard,' he thought. 'I want to make love to you,' he mentally practised. "It's just..." he sighed. "It's been hard with us not being physical..." he winced, knowing he sounded completely selfish.

"T-that's what you're worried about?" she asked softly.

"That makes me sound awful doesn't it?" Neville asked darkly.

Cho looked at him. He wasn't looking at her, his eyes were fixated on the carpet. She'd not expected him to say this to her. Now, that he had it was quite a relief. She'd thought the worst and come to find out he was feeling the same way she was.

She eased off the sofa and sat beside him on the floor. Placing her hand on his shoulder, she looked at him, willing him to meet her gaze. "No, Neville. It doesn't make you sound awful."

"Really?" he asked. "I mean... I know you still can't make love but... all our other friends are, and WE'RE the ones that are married." Neville shook his head.

Cho nodded, a smile playing at her lips. "Not bloody fair, is it?"

"Not really," Neville relaxed at the look on her face.

"Neville, I want to be with you just as much as you want to be with me," she said, leaning in to kiss him. When they broke apart a few moments later, she lingered in his arms. "I can't believe we haven't talked about this before. I was worried that you couldn't believe what a cow I'd turned into and you'd wondered what you ever saw in me."

"Are you kidding?" Neville asked. "Cho I couldn't love you any more if I tried- your looks have only gotten better since having the baby. I thought you were gorgeous while you were pregnant."

"You did?" she asked shyly. She touched his cheek. "Just when I think I can't love you anymore than I already do you go and say something like that..."

Neville smiled at her, feeling relieved. "I really do want to make love to you," he said softly. "It's just hard to wait, but I will wait." he pulled her closer against him.

She grinned. "I do have some rather good news for you."

"What's that?" Neville asked, kissing the side of her head.

"At my last appointment, the medi-wizard said that I could...well, that we could be able to...in his words, have 'sexual relations' in another couple of weeks. Which is just around Valentine's Day...," she said with a grin.

Neville grinned. "That's fantastic," he said, keeping his tone light.

"I think so, too," she said, resting her head on his chest.

"We'll have to plan a special night," Neville replied. "Maybe we can even get Harry and Hermione to watch Chiaki for us. That night should be no different than other ones for the rabbits."

Cho giggled. "It is a special night, though. They might have plans."

"Right..." Neville replied. "Well... even if we have Chiaki here we can make it our own special night."

"I was thinking maybe we could ask your Gran actually," Cho said.

Neville turned to look at her. "You know... I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. You think she'd like to watch Chiaki for a night?"

"She said she'd love to watch her anytime," Cho said, smiling. "I know, I was surprised too, but she's really good with Chiaki."

"All right," Neville was growing excited. "We can stay here or we can find a nice bed and breakfast..."

"As long as we're together, I don't care where we go," Cho said, kissing him.

Neville kissed her back, rolling over on top of her. "Maybe we can get a little practise in," he said, stroking her hair.

"Smashing idea," Cho said huskily. "Practise does make perfect."

*** *** ***

"And then there was the time in Charms that Jean Claude singed his eyebrows," Hermione laughed. "He was such a vain git- that served him right!"

Gordon chuckled. "Yeah, well you were the one who told him the wrong spell."

Hermione turned pink. "That was not me!" she laughed again. "Oh all right... it was. I was so tired of him always trying to show everyone up!"

Gordon smiled at her. This was the best time he'd ever had with her. She was being herself and not trying to mould herself in the image of what that hero boyfriend of hers wanted.

Gordon looked around at the cosy living room thinking that he couldn't have asked for a more romantic setting. They were all alone at the cottage and had been studying for nearly two hours. Hermione had suggested a break and they were eating popcorn and drinking pumpkin juice. Potter was away with one of his training buddies.

They'd been talking about old times for a few minutes and Gordon loved the animated look on her face when she talked. "He definitely deserved it," Gordon said with a laugh. "And it did shut him up for quite some time."

"Yes, and when he started up again all I had to do was bring up that spell," Hermione said mischievously. "It's a shame you were gone by then."

"I know," Gordon said wistfully. "I wish we would have kept in touch."

"I always wondered why we didn't," Hermione remarked idly.

Gordon smiled shyly at her. "I did, too. But, we were just kids then."

"Thirteen year olds," Hermione shook her head. "So much has changed since those times."

"And look at us now," Gordon said winking at her. "Especially you. You're really amazing, Hermione." When he saw the look on Hermione's face, he decided he needed to cover. "You know that Harry is one lucky bloke. I hope he knows that."

"He does," Hermione twisted the edge of the sofa cushion in her fingers. "But I'm lucky too. It's all a part of being head over heels for someone." she smiled.

Gordon knew exactly what she meant. He was definitely head over heels for her. He just wished she could see how much. He wanted her to see how much better that he was for her than Potter. Looking at Hermione, he saw the same dreamy expression come over her beautiful features as she thought about Potter. Deciding that he needed to steer the conversation away from Potter, he quickly brought up old times again. "Do you know who I saw in Greece once?" he asked her. "You remember Juliet, don't you?"

"Vaguely," Hermione replied.

"Sure you do, Hermione," Gordon said, nudging her playfully on the arm. "That daft girl who used to burst out into those strange phrases in the middle of classes? She was the one who thought divination was the most fascinating subject and was always going around wanting to read everyone's palm?"

"Right," Hermione groaned. "I HAD forgotten about her..."

Gordon laughed. "I saw her a few summers ago and she was selling fortunes to Muggle tourists."

Hermione burst into laughter. "Oh why doesn't that surprise me?" she asked.

"Just for a laugh, I went in to see her," Gordon related conversationally. "And she had no bloody idea who I was. She told me that I was going to inherit a goat farm, I believe it was and that I was going to have six children, two of them girls."

"A goat farm?" Hermione snorted as she wiped her eyes. "Merlin... I don't think I've heard anything so ridiculous before in my life!"

"I thought about what a laugh it would have been if you could have been there to see it," Gordon said before bursting out in another fit of laughter at the memory of it.

"Ugh I wonder what she'd have predicted for me?" Hermione asked. "Honestly, I'd probably be running the pig farm next to your goats."

Gordon laughed heartily and revelled again in the closeness that he and Hermione shared. "I still can't believe some schools teach Divination," Gordon said, shaking his head. "It's such a load of rubbish."

"It really is," Hermione replied. "Harry told me the Divination professor at Hogwarts is horrible as well, although apparently Dumbledore said she's a true Seer."

"I guess she knew what she was talking about somewhat," Gordon reluctantly admitted. "What with that whole prophecy..."

"Yeah," Hermione replied. Harry had never talked much about the prophecy or his battles with Voldemort, and while she was curious, she didn't press him to talk about it. She knew he'd open up to her if or when he truly wanted to about it.

"Did I touch a nerve?" Gordon asked, seeing Hermione's smile fade a bit. "Surely he's told you all about that, right?"

"It's not something we've really discussed," Hermione replied, her tone even. "It's not something he can talk about easily so we usually stay on things we both enjoy discussing."

Gordon was honestly surprised. He'd have thought Potter would have used that to glorify his own name in Hermione's eyes. Still, it was possible to use this to his own advantage, Gordon thought.

"Hmmm," Gordon couldn't stop himself from saying. "I'm just surprised is all. I thought that's what couples did talk about both the good and bad things. That was a big part of his life. Some might even say the defining moment in his life. I would have thought he would have shared it with you."

"He will in his own time," Hermione replied calmly. "In the scheme of things, he and I haven't even been together a year. We have plenty of time to talk about things like Voldemort," she noticed Gordon shiver slightly at the name.

Gordon nodded. Inwardly, he was seething. It seemed like in Hermione's eyes, Potter could do no wrong. "I guess we should get back to studying," Gordon said a moment later.

Hermione nodded and soon the two were immersed again in their texts. Soon the only sounds in the room were from the crackling fire and the sounds of their quills scribbling on parchment. Gordon looked up from his book and reached for his soda, but noticed that Hermione had some ink on her chin. He started to laugh.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"You, um, have some ink on your chin," he said, laughing.

"Oh blast," Hermione ran for the loo. "Thanks for telling me," she said when she came back.

As she sat back down the light from the firelight, illuminated her skin and her hair making it appear almost golden. The effect of it was nearly breathtaking and Gordon felt himself unable to look away from her. Although a part of him knew it was too soon to make a move, he couldn't help it. She was so beautiful, he thought to himself as he inched closer toward her. With a shaking hand, he brought his hand to her chin and tilted it up. She looked at him in surprise and slowly he began to lean in.

"Gordon what are you doing?" Hermione asked, a sudden chill spreading through her. She pulled away, moving down the sofa.

Gordon dropped his hand and inched to his end of the sofa. "I-I'm sorry, Hermione. I wasn't thinking."

Hermione didn't know what to say, so she nervously cleared her throat and pushed her hair over her shoulders.

Gordon cursed himself for nearly kissing her. It was much too soon for a move like that, but he couldn't help himself. Now, he may have just scared her away. He could already picture her telling Potter all about it. Thinking quickly, he had to find someway to salvage this. "Hermione," he began, looking at her with a sheepish smile. "I don't know what got into me. There's...something happened recently that's had me a little down lately and tonight was the first night I've actually laughed in awhile."

"What was it?" Hermione couldn't help but ask; still keeping her distance.

Gordon took a deep breath and tried to make himself appear sad and lost, hoping she'd buy his act. "Skylar and I broke things off recently," he said quietly.

"You did?" she asked in surprise.

Gordon nodded morosely. "She was actually seeing someone else and I found out about it when I went to visit her at the book shop. I-I really cared about her and she..."

"Oh no!" Hermione instantly felt horribly ashamed of herself. How could she be thinking such bad things things about her friend when he was going through something so rough. "I'm so sorry Gordon I had no idea!"

"It's okay," Gordon said, shaking his head. "I thought she cared about me, but I guess I was mistaken." He exhaled. "I've just been lonely and tonight, I just...I just don't want things between you and I to be awkward. You're a really good friend, Hermione and I don't want to lose you because of one stupid move on my part."

"No it's all right," Hermione moved back over. "What a bloody bitch she is for doing that to you!"

Gordon smiled appreciatively at her. This was working like a charm, he though silently. "Everything happens for a reason, right?" he said, trying to sound upbeat.

"I suppose..." Hermione replied. "It's just... it's such a nice feeling to be settled down. I really thought you and Skylar would be it. I'm so sorry Gordon,"

"You don't have to apologize," Gordon said quickly. "You've done nothing wrong, Hermione. It was me who overstepped the boundaries tonight and I don't know what I'd do if I lost your friendship."

"You won't," Hermione replied. "Honestly, if I'd known I wouldn't have gone on about Harry and me all night. I feel horrible!"

"You shouldn't," Gordon said, trying hard not to smile. This was going better than he'd expected. "I should feel...I do feel horrible. You and I have always been able to talk and I don't want us to have an awkwardness between us. So, although I know I don't deserve it, will you give me another chance? Are you and I okay?" he asked, smiling hopefully at her.

Hermione nodded, even though she still felt slightly odd deep down. But Gordon was her friend and he needed her support. "Of course we are," she replied.

Gordon sighed in relief. "Thanks, Hermione...for everything." He offered her his hand. "Friends?"

"Friends," Hermione smiled at him, shaking his hand. "Come on... I'll bet some rigorous studying will get your mind off everything."

Gordon nodded and as he tried to get his head back into studying, he couldn't believe how careless he'd been. He'd managed to salvage his friendship with Hermione, but another stupid move like that and he could kiss any hope of a future with her goodbye. Their moment would come and when it did, he'd be ready...and so would she.

*** *** ***

Lavender smoothed down her dress as she and Seamus rode the lift to the penthouse suite. The Montague Hotel was one of the most elegant wizard hotels and a benefit was being held there tonight for St. Mungo's. It was a charity fashion show and though Lavender hadn't contributed any designs, she was representing Madam Malkin, who was out of town.

Madam Malkin figured going to the benefit would increase word of mouth buzz about Lavender's designs and she'd be able to network with some of the bigger names in the business. She looked nervously at Seamus as the lift pinged open. "Does my dress look okay?" she asked him.

"You look fine," Seamus said, tugging at his Muggle tuxedo. "But why aren't we wearing robes?"

"Because it's a black tie event," Lavender replied. "Why do you keep doing that to your neck? Surely it can't be that uncomfortable?"

"It's a bit," he admitted. "I've never worn one of these before. This is why dress robes are so much nicer."

Lavender took his hand as they walked down the wide corridor. "You look really handsome in it," she said, winking at him.

Seamus smiled at her. "This really is a big thing for you isn't it? To meet all these people?"

Lavender nodded. "Tonight I'm going to meet people whose work I've admired for years. I used to look in my fashion magazines and tell myself that one day I'd be designing, too. And look at me now! It's really happening."

"That it is," Seamus squeezed her hand. "And once they see your work they'll fall all over themselves to sponsor you."

Lavender said a silent prayer that he was right. They stopped at the front door as a rather strange looking witch stood poised, holding a clipboard. She wore sparkly spectacles and a silver coloured dress.

"Um Lavender Brown," Lavender said when the witch looked at her expectantly. "And this is my guest, Seamus Finnigan." The witch gazed at her clipboard and spotting their names opened the door for them. Lavender took a deep breath as she and Seamus walked inside the crowded suite.

"Wow," Seamus looked around with wide eyes. "This place is enormous!"

Lavender could only nod as she took in the scene before her with wonderment. All around her people were milling about, talking and chatting. Music was coming from somewhere in the room, but she couldn't tell from where.

Her eyes fell on a woman with platinum blonde hair who was smoking a cigarette and who looked bored beyond belief. "Seamus! Do you know who that is?" she whispered excitedly to him.

"No," Seamus replied. "Some big name designer?"

Lavender rolled her eyes good-naturedly at her boyfriend. "That's Katya Datelli! She's fantastic. I can't believe she's here!"

"She doesn't look too pleased about it," he joked.

Lavender glared at him. "Of course she's not! That wouldn't be cool. All the best designers looked bored. Maybe I should try it, too?"

Seamus looked at her as she attempted a bored expression. "You look like you're trying not to laugh," he snickered.

Lavender giggled. "I guess I'll have to work on it then," she said shaking her head. She and Seamus watched as a strange bald man came up to them looking like he knew who they were. He stopped in front of Seamus. "Martin, I knew you were going to be here! Have you seen the designs that hag submitted? She is lucky they even invited her!"

Lavender tried not to laugh as a bewildered Seamus tried to explain to the man that he wasn't who he thought he was.

"Really... I'm in film school." Seamus was red faced. "I can't even draw much less design a robe..."

The man laughed. "Martin, you are such a joker! Now, I must dash, but I am not going to let you get away until I can bend your ear about the spring collection."

"I really don't know anything about the spring collection," Seamus gave Lavender's hand a hard squeeze.

The man winked at him. "Of course, you don't." He chuckled as he left Lavender and Seamus staring after him.

"Have you been holding out on me?" Lavender asked teasingly to her boyfriend. "You're actually a designer, too? Where do you find the time?"

"That would be funny if I had any idea what he was talking about," Seamus saw the bar in the corner. "Come on, let's go get a drink."

"Smashing idea," Lavender said as they made their way toward the bar. As she waited with Seamus for the drinks, she couldn't help staring around in awe at the sight before her. She'd never dreamed she'd be at an industry party like this.

Seamus handed her a glass of champagne. "What do we do now?" he asked.

Lavender shrugged. "I'd suggest dancing, but I know how you hate it."

"Want to walk around for a bit?" he asked. "Maybe someone will recognise you," he teased.

"I'm just a shop girl who's had a few designs sell," Lavender said dismissively. "No one's going to know who I am!"

Seamus opened his mouth to say that wasn't true when a woman sidled up to them. "Lavender Brown am I correct?" her voice was crisp.

Lavender turned around startled. "Um, yes?" she managed to say.

"Veronica Fox," the woman shook back her mane of dark brown hair. "I sent my assistant to Madam Malkin's shoppe a few days ago for some basic robes and he came back with three of your designs. I was very impressed."

"YOU WERE?" Lavender asked loudly, surprised. A few of the guests turned and looked at her as if she'd sprouted a second head. "Um, I mean, really?"

The woman smiled. "Really," she replied. "I'd love to have a chat with you sometime," she handed Lavender a sparkling card. "Please owl me or stop by my office in the next few days if possible."

Lavender opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out.

"She'd love to," Seamus covered for his girlfriend. "Sorry, she gets a bit speechless at times."

Lavender could only nod as the woman smiled warmly at her before leaving. "That was Veronica Fox, Seamus," Lavender whispered as a dazed expression came over her face. "She liked my designs."

"I take it that's a good thing?" Seamus asked.

"She's a buyer for many of the major boutiques around Europe," Lavender explained. "And she liked my designs!"

Seamus grinned at her. "And you didn't think anyone would recognise you," he teased.

"And you either, Martin," she teased, elbowing him.

"All right, you can sod off for that," Seamus scowled.

She laughed and impulsively hugged him. "I'm so glad you were here to share this with me," she said happily.

"Me too," Seamus replied. "I know how important this sort of thing is for you. I hope if I ever DO graduate, and I ever get to film a movie... that you'll be there with me." he raised her hand to his lips.

"Absolutely," she said softly. "I'll be your biggest fan. Correction, I am your biggest fan."

Seamus gave her a gentle kiss. "As I am yours," he said.

She beamed at him. "Would you do something for your biggest fan? Please?"

"What's that?" Seamus asked.

"Dance with me?" she asked him, her eyes twinkling. "Just one dance and they're playing slow music...you just have to move your feet back and forth. You can do that. And I promise I won't mention to anyone that you did."

Seamus laughed. "I'll dance with you all night if you want. But you'll have to lead."

"Deal," Lavender said clapping her hands together. As she led him onto the dance floor, she couldn't remember ever being this happy. She was in love and the career she'd always wanted was at her fingertips. If it could get better than this, she didn't know how.

*** *** ***

Harry watched in horror as Voldemort pushed his wand at Hermione, who was begging him to help her. He seemed to be stuck- something was holding him back.

"But I didn't even know you when I defeated him!" Harry said.

"That doesn't matter!" Hermione begged. "Please Harry, help me!"

"But…" Harry tried to run forwards but he couldn't.

"Too late Potter…" Voldemort cackled. "Too late…" a green light burst from his wand and hit Hermione square in the chest.

"NO!" Harry screamed, sitting straight up in bed. His upper body was slick with sweat and he was breathing hard.

Hermione, who had been sound asleep, awoke as soon as she heard his anguished scream. "Harry?" she asked, concern dripping from her voice. She put a hand on his bare back. "What is it?"

Harry was still half in his nightmare and didn't register her voice at first.

"Harry?" she asked again. "You're scaring me. Please tell me what's the matter?"

His breathing finally slowed down. "Nothing," he finally answered.

Hermione wished he'd turn around to look at her, but he was staring straight ahead and his back was rigid. "It didn't seem like nothing," she said softly.

"Just a dream about Voldemort," Harry muttered. "I haven't had one for awhile."

Hermione nodded. She wished he'd turn around so she could see his face to make sure he was truly okay. "Do you want to talk about it?" she asked, hoping that he'd finally open up to her about this.

Harry shook his head. "It was just a nightmare," he replied gruffly.

She sighed. Why didn't he want to talk with her about this? If something was troubling him, she hoped he knew he could talk to her about it. That's what couples did, wasn't it? They talked about the good and the bad and helped each other through their problems. "I-I didn't even hear you come in tonight," she said, rubbing his back. "What time did you get home?"

"Late," he replied, using the edge of his sheet to wipe off his forehead.

Hermione wanted to offer to get him a glass of water or to get him a cold washcloth, but she knew he hated to be fussed over. Normality was very important to Harry. She was torn between feeling concern over what was really going on with him and anger toward him for not sharing it with her.

"I'm fine," Harry finally looked over at her. "Really Hermione I promise."

She gave him a weak smile. She felt like a hypocrite for feeling angry toward him for keeping a secret. She was the one who'd decided not to tell him about Gordon nearly kissing her.

Harry lay back down. "How was your night?" he asked.

Hermione froze. She was glad the lights were off and Harry wasn't wearing his glasses. "Um, it was okay. Gordon and I made a lot of progress."

"On your project?" Harry yawned.

"Yes," she said lying back down beside him.

"That's good," Harry rolled on his side, facing her.

She looked at him as he closed his eyes. "Harry?" she asked quietly.

"Hmm?" he mumbled, already slipping back to the brink of sleep.

"You know that you can tell me anything, don't you?" she asked, biting her bottom lip.

"I know," Harry replied, his speech slightly slurred. "You can tell me too..."

She stared at him. A few minutes ago, she'd been sound asleep. Now, she was wide awake and her brain was processing a million questions. If he knew he could tell her anything, why hadn't he shared this with her? She blamed Gordon for getting her on this train of thought. Honestly, she'd not really thought much about it, but now that he'd brought it up, she couldn't think of anything else. She wondered if he'd talked about it to any of his other friends, like Ron or Cho. And if he had, why them and not her?