Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thanks again for the reviews we've received on this. We tried to respond to some today, but didn't get a chance to get to all of them. We're getting the distinct impression that you all don't like Gordon too much. He's going to get much worse---we know it's been said before, but it does bear repeating. This one is a little longer than the last chapter, too. We hope you enjoy.

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

Ron laughed as he tied the ugly bonnet around Paddington's head. "There you are," he said, satisfied. "Luna will laugh her head off when she sees you." The dog looked at him mournfully under the lacy edges. "No!" Ron shook his finger when the puppy attempted to use his paws to get the bonnet off.

Luna was knackered as she trudged up the stairs to her flat. She couldn't wait to see Paddington and to see Ron. She'd missed them both tremendously while she'd been away even though she hadn't been gone that long. She'd bought Ron a number of souvenirs while she'd been in Boston and even picked up a few things for her puppy. She rolled her suitcase behind her as she finally made it to her door. Fumbling in her pocket for her keys, she was surprised when the door opened all by itself.

Ron heard the door open and picked up the dog, muffling his laughter so Luna wouldn't hear it.

"Ron?" Luna asked, pulling her suitcase in behind her.

"In the kitchen," Ron replied.

Luna smiled as she set her bag down beside her suitcase. She walked into the kitchen and the sight before her made her giggle.

"Ron!" she exclaimed as she saw him holding Paddington. "That is the cutest thing I've ever seen!"

"Welcome home!" Ron struggled to keep a hold on the puppy that began to squirm as soon as he saw his mistress. "All right go on!" he laughed as Paddington ran to Luna who scooped him up despite his ever growing size.

"Ohhh," Luna said, hugging Paddington. "I missed you soooo much, you little monster and you too, Paddington." She grinned at the look on her boyfriend's face.

"Hey!" Ron looked offended.

Luna set Paddington down on the floor and launched herself at Ron. "You know I missed you, Ronald!"

"I missed you a lot too," Ron laughed as they hugged tightly. He kissed her, sneaking his hands into her loose hair. "Tell me you had a bad time and that you're never going back?" he joked.

Luna laughed. "Want me to lie?"

"Yes," Ron smiled. "And make it a whopper of a lie too please."

Luna grabbed his hand and led him into the living room. "Let's sit down and I'll tell you all about it." Paddington followed with the frilly bonnet trailing behind him. "How on earth did you get him to put that on?"

"I'm not sure," Ron began to laugh. "But he sure looked stupid in it didn't he?"

"Your revenge for his little accidents, eh?" she asked as they settled down on the sofa.

"You got it," Ron held her hand as Paddington jumped onto Luna's lap and kissed her face repeatedly.

"Easy, boy," Luna said, giggling. "I missed you, too!"

"We've made progress," Ron said, finally untying the bonnet. "He's learned to go to the door when he wants to be let out."

"He knew how to do that with me anyway," Luna teased. "But at least he's not going to ruin your trousers anymore."

"I hope he'll keep to it," Ron said as Paddington settled down next to Luna, his head in her lap. "All right, so tell me about Boston."

Luna grinned. "I don't even know where to start. The first few days, they had a few of the reporters give us a tour of the city. We'd already had that when we went for the weekend, but this was more of a mixture of Muggle Boston as well. It was so great, Ron. They even took us to a hockey game! I had no idea what was going on, but it was quite exciting. The whole time we were there I kept thinking how you'd love it!"

"Really?" Ron was pleased she'd been thinking of him. "What did you do as far as the paper goes?"

"Michael and I basically had orientation and were given a list of areas we could possibly concentrate on," Luna explained. "And I couldn't choose. I was excited about everything! So, he and I discussed it and decided to cover this corruption angle in their Auror division. I was going to talk to Harry about it, too. It's really fascinating, Ron. Michael and I did some research and we're going to really start on it when we go back on Wednesday."

"You're going back Wednesday?" Ron's good mood dropped a bit.

Luna nodded happily. "We need to get going on this story as quickly as possible. I know I'll only be home for a couple of days..."

"Is this what it's going to be like every week?" Ron asked.

Luna's smile faltered. "Possibly. I can't do the research on the article from London, Ron. I have to be in Boston."

"Oh," Ron fiddled with his trousers, not really sure of what else he could say.

"Ron," Luna said, stroking his hand. "You're happy for me, aren't you?"

"Of course I am," Ron said honestly. "I just wish you weren't going to be gone so often..." he looked up at her. "I'm scared we're going to grow apart."

"That's not possible," she said looking earnestly at him. She inched closer to him on the sofa. "The distance is going to be hard, but we'll make it work."

Ron slid his arms around her. "I hope so," he said. "I love you too much to lose you again."

"You couldn't lose me if you tried," she said leaning in for a kiss. "Now...you've told me how much you missed me. I want you to show me how much you missed me."

Ron grinned. "That won't be hard," he drew her up onto his lap; Paddington barked as he pulled Luna away from him. "Hey, back off monster, she's mine tonight."

"Just tonight?" she teased.

"Well every night," Ron brushed back her hair. "But when I go home he gets to stay here with you."

"It won't be too much longer when you won't have to go home," she said. "Which reminds me have you looked at any more places?"

"Not really," Ron replied. "I didn't like going around and looking without you."

Luna smiled, pleased. "I'm off tomorrow. We can look tomorrow afternoon if you'd like."

"Sure," Ron smiled. "I'm sure I can arrange something with Fred and George."

She looped her arms around his neck. "I really did miss you."

Ron smiled. "I missed you too," he leaned in and kissed her quite passionately.

"Wow," Luna said breathlessly. "You are really good at that, do you know that?"

"I've had good practise... and I have the best partner," Ron grinned at her.

"Flattery will get you everywhere," she replied.

Ron unclasped her robes then slid his hands under her shirt, lifting it over her head. "You're the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen," he murmured, his lips brushing over her skin.

"Ron," she whispered, revelling in his touch and in his kisses. She'd missed him even more than she'd imagined and she'd thought about their reunion nearly the entire time she'd been gone. He was definitely worth coming home to.

*** *** ***

Harry sat back on the bed as Chiaki cooed happily in his arms. He and Hermione had finally talked Neville and Cho into letting them take the baby for a couple of hours. Hermione hoped that Neville and Cho would enjoy a nice night out, but Cho had told her they'd probably both just sleep.

The evening had gone quite well aside from the fact that Chiaki had just spit up all over Hermione's jumper. Harry smiled down at the baby as he waited for Hermione to return. "Hermione?" he asked, calling out to her in the closet. "What are you doing in there?"

"Have you seen my old navy blue robes?" she asked. "You didn't put them in the laundry did you?"

Harry made a funny face at Chiaki. "Sweetheart, I couldn't tell you the last time I did laundry," he answered.

"I didn't think you'd be able to answer," Hermione emerged from the closet in another older jumper. "Blast," she frowned. "I hate misplacing things!"

"It'll probably turn up," he said. "Things always do."

"But that's the third missing article of clothing in a week," Hermione replied.

"You sure you didn't loan something to Lavender?" he asked helpfully.

"As if she would wear something that's more than three months old," Hermione sat down on the bed.

"Auntie Hermione is losing her mind," Harry said, smiling down at the baby. "Yes she is. Can you say mental, Chiaki?"

"Ha, ha Potter," Hermione said wryly. "You should hear yourself talk right now." she took the baby from Harry's arms.

"This is like a trial run for us," he said, sitting back on the bed as he watched Hermione with the baby. "This will be us someday, you know."

Hermione smiled at him. "I know," she said, stroking Chiaki's smooth face. "I can't believe how gorgeous she is. She looks so much like Cho it's not even funny."

"I imagine she'll break a few hearts when she's older," Harry predicted.

"Without a doubt," Hermione replied as Chiaki closed her eyes. "Good thing she'll have her Uncle Harry watching her back," she teased.

"Too right," Harry said, stifling a yawn.

"Sleepy love?" Hermione asked, smiling down at the baby in her arms who smacked her tiny lips.

"A little," Harry admitted. "Thackeray was in rare form again today."

Hermione frowned. "What is that man's problem with you and Neville?""

Harry shrugged. "Who knows? He basically has hated me from day one and I think Neville's just guilty by association. Luckily, the next training rotation we have another instructor. Rumour has it that it'll be Lupin."

"I heard he's a fantastic professor," Hermione replied. "When do you switch over?"

"March," Harry answered.

"So another month to go," Hermione replied. "Think you'll make it?" she asked, reaching out with her free hand to stroke his cheek.

"If I can put up with Severus Snape for seven years, I reckon I can put up with anything," Harry said wryly.

"You'll have to tell me more about this Snape character sometime," Hermione giggled quietly.

"Not in front of the baby," Harry said with a laugh. "Wouldn't want to scar her for life."

Hermione smiled as Harry brushed his fingers lightly through Chiaki's soft black hair. "I still can't believe Cho and Neville are parents," she said softly. "If I stop and really think about it, it's just amazing."

"I know," he said, smiling at her. "Look at you. You're a natural at this."

Hermione smiled. "I guess I still wish that test really had turned out positive, even though at first I didn't want it that way," she said quietly but not sadly.

"We can always try again," he said, teasingly. "And again...and again....and again..."

Hermione smiled. "Let's just let nature take its course," she said. "If I become pregnant... then we'll have a baby. If I don't..."

Harry heard a loud thud just outside their bedroom window. The noise startled the baby, who started to cry. Harry grabbed his wand and went quickly to the window, looking outside. As Hermione tried to calm the baby, Harry unlocked the window and looked out into the pitch darkness.

"What was that?" Hermione asked, holding Chiaki close to her.

"I don't know," Harry said, checking one more time before closing the window. He knew their bedroom was on the second floor of the cottage and he was probably overreacting, but he'd been a little on edge ever since Lavender and Seamus had reported Gordon lurking outside the cottage.

Hermione looked alarmed. "Should we go downstairs and make sure the doors are locked and all the wards are in place?" she asked.

Harry nodded. "I'll do that. You stay up here with Chiaki."

Hermione was nervous at the thought of staying alone, especially when someone might be outside but she nodded.

Harry gave Hermione a reassuring smile before walking downstairs. He quickly went to the front door and slowly opened it with his wand at the ready. The only sound that greeted him was the wind howling. If he found Gordon Devereaux lurking about again out here, he'd make him regret it.

Hermione grew terrified as the minutes passed and Harry didn't return. She held Chiaki to her, kissing the side of her head and murmuring to keep her quiet. Could Seamus and Lavender have been right about someone looking into their cottage?

After a few minutes exploration around the cottage and then securing the locks and making sure all the wards were in place, Harry climbed the stairs to the bedroom again. "I didn't see anything," Harry said as he came into the room. "Or anyone for that matter."

"Are you sure?" Hermione visibly relaxed as she saw her boyfriend. "That scared the bloody hell out of me!"

He nodded. Anger was fusing through him. There might not have been anyone out there now, but he was willing to bet his life that someone had been out there. And though he had no proof, he was nearly positive who it was.

Gordon narrowed his eyes as he flew carefully to the window again, holding the broom a bit tighter this time. 'That had been a close call,' he thought. A rather strong wind had knocked him straight into the wall and he was determined to never make the same mistake twice.

*** *** ***

Neville was irritable after another rough day of training. Thackeray had been even more of a bastard than usual and both he and Harry had nearly walked out during the afternoon session.

On top of that, Neville Longbottom was one sexually frustrated married man. He wasn't angry at his wife, but he was tired of sleeping next to her every night and not being able to be intimate with her. He knew she wanted to make love as badly as he did, but her doctor was reluctant to give them the okay being as Cho had just given birth several weeks before.

"Okay, so did you want to go over defensive spells again?" Harry asked his friend. They had a practical exam tomorrow and despite the fact that they both would rather plot revenge on Thackeray, Neville had agreed to a late afternoon study session. Cho was out at the moment taking the baby for a walk. When his friend didn't respond, Harry waved a hand in front of Neville. "Earth to Neville?"

"Sorry," Neville replied. "It's just... been a long day. I can't concentrate on anything."

"Thackeray's such a wanker," Harry said, thinking his friend's mood was due to their instructor. "But, we only have to put up with him until March..."

"Another month," Neville replied. "It's not just him though..."

"The baby?" Harry guessed, picking up his glass and taking a swig.

"Well..." Neville sighed. "The baby's not bad, she cries a lot but I knew that came with the job." He lowered his voice even though they were alone. "I want to make love to my wife and I can't... and it's just...."

"Frustrating?" Harry finished for him. "You mean that you two haven't yet?"

"We can't!" Neville replied. "Not since she's had a baby. Apparently..." his voice trailed off a moment. "Her body has to... recover... and so she can't have sex."

Harry stared at this friend is amazement. He'd known of course that they had to wait, but he'd figured that since Cho was feeling better now and was taking the baby for walks on an almost daily basis that Neville had already consummated his marriage. He couldn't think of anything to say. But, when he did, it was definitely the wrong thing to say. "Nev, I don't know how you're able to do it. I mean, if I had to sleep in the same bed with Hermione and not be able to..."

"Yeah, well I HAVE to sleep in the same bed as Cho and I CAN'T," Neville snapped.

"Sorry, that was a stupid thing to say," Harry said sheepishly. "Well, how much longer do you have to wait?"

Neville shrugged, still irritated. "A few more weeks I guess... I'm supposing that Cho will give me the go ahead when it's okay."

"Have you talked to her about this?" Harry asked, leaning back on the sofa. "I mean this has to be hard on her, too."

"Do you think I should?" Neville asked.

"Of course," Harry answered simply.

"I'm afraid of what she'll say," Neville fiddled with one of the pages in his text.

"Come on, Neville," Harry said encouragingly. "You're married to each other. You should be able to ask her these things. I'm sure she'll feel better knowing how you're feeling."

"Maybe you're right," Neville replied. "I guess... I sort of feel a bit... shy..." he finished off the sentence with his tone barely audible.

Harry looked at his friend. It all became suddenly clear to him what the real issue was. Truth be told, he was a bit surprised. He took a moment to think about how he wanted to say this without offending his friend. "Um, Nev? Are you...I mean...I thought you weren't, but if you still are that's okay, but are you...a virgin?" he asked uncertainly.

"Yeah," Neville replied, his tone still quiet.

"But I thought...," Harry started to say, but his voice trailed off.

"I'm not as lucky as the rest of you I guess," Neville snapped.

"Neville, you know I didn't mean it like that," Harry said quickly. "I'm just trying to be a mate."

"I'm sorry," Neville apologised. "I guess I'm a bit touchy about it because I hate being the only one left out."

"Does Cho know?" Harry couldn't help asking.

"I don't know," Neville confessed. "I guess she and I really should talk shouldn't we?"

"I should say so," Harry replied. "She'll understand, Neville. She loves you. And I'm sure once she hears this; she'll love you even more."

"All right," Neville smiled at his friend. "I'll mention it tonight," he said.

"Good," Harry said, looking at his watch. It would be dark soon and with all that had been going on at home lately; he certainly didn't like the idea of leaving Hermione on her own. "I should probably get going unless you wanted to go over these spells once more."

"No, I think I get them about as well as I ever will," Neville stood up. "Listen... thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate you not laughing at me... about..."

"Of course, what are friends for?' Harry asked with a grin. "I'm flattered that you decided to talk to me about this. I mean I don't mean to brag, but I do have a bit of experience..."

Neville rolled his eyes. "And the Rabbit King re-emerges..."

Harry laughed. "Who knows...you and Cho might give Hermione and me a run for our money on that title."

"Yeah right," Neville replied. "If we did, Merlin knows you and Hermione would shag even more just to... stay on top." Neville cringed at his choice of words.

"I'm going to let that one go," Harry said, gathering up his books.

"Good," Neville replied. "Go home and see your girlfriend."

"Will do," Harry said. "Good luck tonight."

"Thanks," Neville replied. "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Bright and early," Harry said, as he walked out the door. "With bells on..."

*** *** ***

On the Tuesday before she was due back in Boston, Luna was finally looking at some places with Ron. Well, she was there in spirit. For the majority of the time that they'd been looking, she'd been scribbling ideas in her notepad for her article. She'd also called Michael twice on her mobile telephone.

"Yes, Michael," Luna was saying into her phone as she and Ron stood outside of a flat near Diagon Alley. "Mmm, that might be a good idea."

Ron sighed impatiently. "We have to be there before two," he said, trying to mask his annoyance.

Luna held up her finger and mouthed the word "sorry" to him as she listened to Michael.

"Yeah....well, I think that's brilliant.....mmmmm....okay...," she said quickly. "Um, Michael, I'm going to have to call you back. Ron and I are in the middle of something. Okay. Bye."

Luna clicked off her mobile and turned to face Ron who didn't look very happy with her. "I'm sorry. It won't happen again. I promise," she said, giving him a smile.

"All right," Ron didn't argue but he didn't believe her, as she'd promised that before. "This place is up on the third floor over here," he took her hand.

"I hope we like the flat," Luna said as they climbed the stairs. "This would be so convenient for you with the shop and everything."

"Yeah," Ron wanted to say it was convenient for her as well but Diagon Alley was nowhere near Boston. "And I'm glad Paddington is somewhat housebroken. I don't want to have to take him down three flights of stairs every time he's peeing on something."

Luna giggled. "It wouldn't be that bad. I've heard that climbing up and down stairs can be very good for exercising."

Ron smiled. "Are you saying I need exercise Lovegood?"

"You are a bit...paunchy," she teased.

"Hey!" Ron replied. "That's not very nice!"

"I'm joking," she said, punching him playfully on the back. "I'd kill to be able to eat like you do and never gain a stone."

"It's a Weasley thing," Ron boasted. "Here, what's this say, flat 34?"

"Yes," Luna said. "Is this the one?"

"Yeah," Ron replied.

"Do you have the key?" she asked.

"I put it in your bag," Ron replied.

"You did?" Luna asked, looking quizzically at him. "When did you do that?"

Ron gave her a look. "Gee, I don't know, could it have been when you were on your mobile?"

Luna glared at him. "It's a bit early for sarcasm, isn't it?"

Ron shook his head as she began to dig through her bag. "Here, that's it," he said.

Luna handed him the key and wondered why he was so testy. She'd only taken two or maybe three phone calls since they'd been out.

Ron pushed open the door, walking into the small hallway. "Okay... says the kitchen is to the right." he turned around. "That's the main room for me."

Luna relaxed. "Plan on doing a lot of cooking, do you?" she asked.

"Eating," Ron grinned.

"Of course," she said with a laugh. "How stupid of me."

"Well the other important room is this way," Ron studied the parchment in his hand. "The master bedroom..."

Luna grinned. "Now you're talking...show me the way!"

Ron laughed. "Come on you," he pulled her down the hallway.

She giggled as he led her into the bedroom. She gasped. When she'd first seen Harry and Hermione's cottage, she'd loved the window seat in their bedroom. She couldn't help thinking that one day she'd love to have a place with a window seat. This flat had one and Luna walked over to the window. She could just see herself wrapped up in blanket looking up at the stars.

"Thinking of something?" Ron asked, pulling her into his arms from behind.

"That night at Hillsdale before we got caught in the rain," she said dreamily.

Ron laughed. "What on earth made you think of that?" he asked.

"This window seat actually," Luna answered. "I was just picturing myself sitting on it and looking out at the stars..."

"Oh," Ron kissed the side of her head. "I thought this place might be a bit much but I didn't realise it would come mostly furnished. That does help things out."

"I really like this place," she said leaning back against his chest. "I mean, I know we've only looked at a couple of places, but if we can afford it, I'd love to live here."

"I'm sure we could... money might be a bit tight the first few months... but then again I'm no maths genius," Ron replied. "Mum taught us the basics but that's about it."

Luna giggled. "Another thing you and I have in common. I always hated maths, too. Probably explains why I like writing so much."

Ron smiled. "Well you know... this could very possibly be our bed..." he said suggestively.

"Ron!" Luna said, turning around to face him properly. "We don't even own this place yet!"

"I know," Ron replied, pushing his lower lip out. "But how will we know for sure if we'll like it if we don't try things out?"

"That's true," she said, a mischievous look in her eyes.

Ron pulled her to him, grazing his lips lightly over hers. "Come on Loony," he teased.

"What did I tell you about calling me that, Ronald?" she asked taking off her cloak.

Ron grinned cheekily. "Are you going to do something about it Loony?"

"I think I just might," she said, pushing him down on the bed.

Ron groaned as she straddled him, then leaned over and kissed him hard. He muttered something unintelligible as he loosened her hair from her ponytail, digging his fingers into the strands as his tongue swept over her lips. "You know I love you right?" he asked breathlessly several minutes later.

"I sure hope so," she said softly, touching his cheek.

"I miss you when you're gone," Ron said, pushing her hair off her face.

"I miss you when I'm gone too, Ron," she said smiling up at him.

"I hate the thought you're a whole ocean away but I know you love what you're doing," Ron said, speaking without thinking.

"What does that mean?" she asked, pushing him off of her so she could sit up.

"It just means what I said," Ron replied. "It... as usual... didn't come out right."

"Ron? How do you really feel about my working in Boston? Don't try and sugar coat it for me. I want the truth," she said with her eyes fixed on his. "You've been distant anytime I've mentioned it or you say something sarcastic and if you think I haven't noticed, you're wrong. I admit you and I haven't been close for very long, but I think I know when something's troubling you. If it is, I think you owe it to me to tell me."

Ron sighed. "All right..." he tried to think of the best way to phrase it without making Luna angry with him. "I guess... I'm just... I don't know. I guess I'm scared that you'll love it so much over there you won't want to come back here," he rubbed the back of his neck.

"This is my home," she said looking at him. "And you're my home. I'll always come back to wherever you are."

"You really mean that?" Ron asked.

She nodded and leaned in to kiss him. Her lips brushed against his. "You, me, and Paddington. We're a family. An unorthodox family, but a family just the same."

"Okay," Ron replied, kissing her again. "That makes me feel a lot better." he stroked her cheek gently.

"Good," she said tugging at his shirt. "Now, I thought you and I were going to try out this bed."

Ron laughed. "Either that or take a look around the kitchen."

"You know maybe we should think about putting the bed in the kitchen and you'd never have to leave," she joked.

"Hey that sounds like a great idea," Ron replied.

"Ronald Weasley you are just crazy enough to keep up with me," she said, falling back onto the bed again and pulling him down with her. "And I absolutely love that about you."