Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: We are both really glad that you all seem to be enjoying this story. And you've been a bit harsh on Luna, too, but remember she didn't know what Ron was planning...she's hurting just as much as he is. We know this may seem redundant and all, but please, please, please leave us a review? We'd both really appreciate it!

Also, we have some GREAT artwork done by the fabulously talented Alexa- check that out here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/heaven_portkey/timeoftheirlife1.jpg

Please let us know what you think of her drawing so we can pass the comments along! Thanks!

After a bad night's sleep, Harry found himself in the kitchen making eggs and some pancakes, toast buttering itself on the counter while orange juice was already set out on the table.

Hermione woke upstairs to the smells drifting through the door. She had slept horribly, waking up often and reaching for his empty side of the bed. Getting up, she stretched and pulled on a pair of jeans and thick jumper, throwing her hair into a lopsided ponytail.

"Good morning," Harry said as she entered the kitchen.

"Morning," Hermione replied. "What is all this?"

"Breakfast," Harry replied. He set the last stack of pancakes on the plate and turned to her. "My way of apologising for last night."

"I'm sorry too," Hermione replied.

"No…" Harry shook his head. "I was in a rotten mood… I was tired and sore and just…I don't know. I didn't know you fell asleep that one night and it just was the icing on the cake."

"Well, I should have known better to confide in Cho about something like that," Hermione said, shaking her head. "I just felt so bad about it and I had to confide in someone. She was the first person I saw."

"Well..." Harry sat down, pulling Hermione down on the seat next to him. "I promise not to bug you if you've been up studying late from now on okay?"

"Okay," she said with a smile. "And I promise not to try and fall asleep on you again. I really felt bad about it. I honestly thought you knew. You didn't talk to me the next morning."

"I woke up late," Harry leaned back in his chair. "I had to run out to make it on time to my training."

"It's really catching up to you, isn't it?" she asked, seeing for the first time how tired he looked. His skin was paler than usual and he looked like he could use more sleep than he'd been getting.

"Yes and no," Harry replied. "This past week was just particularly gruelling. It'll let up again starting tomorrow."

"And to think we thought it'd be free and easy once we were able to be together," Hermione said with a laugh. "Sometimes, I'd like to go back to that cabin of yours and just live in the moment, you know? Not have to worry about my classes or your training."

"And at the time we were in that cabin all we wanted was to be right where we are at this moment," Harry grinned. "We really can't have it all, can we?"

She giggled. "No, I suppose not. But, we had each other then and we have each other now, right?"

"That we do," Harry reached over and pulled her onto his lap.

"I really hate it when we fight," she said, leaning back against his chest. "I hardly slept at all last night."

"Neither did I," Harry wrapped his arms around her. "That sofa is really uncomfortable."

"Next time we fight, I'll sleep on it," she said.

"I don't want there to be another time we fight where one of us sleeps elsewhere," Harry said seriously.

"I missed you last night," she said softly. "I've kind of gotten used to you."

Harry hugged her tight as her arms slipped around his neck. "Same here," he whispered.

"It's too bad we have to go to Neville and Cho's today," Hermione said wistfully. "Won't be able to do what we're supposed to do after a major row like the one we had last night..."

"Of course we will," Harry replied. "Why wouldn't we?"

"I know we will," she said laughing. "But we'll have to wait until we get home tonight. I really doubt that after the mess we made of Cho and Neville's first day in their new home, they'd appreciate us christening each room of their house like we did with ours."

"Right," Harry caught on. "Well... I do need a shower...."

"I didn't take one yet, either," she said with a sly smile. "I just woke up and threw some clothes on so it would probably be a good idea if I...you know, took one, too..."

"Well after that, we can wrap all of this up and take it on over to Neville and Cho's," Harry brushed a wisp of hair out of her eyes as they stood up. "And I'll apologise the moment we walk in the door."

Hermione smiled at him. "There's my Harry I know and love," she went willingly into his arms. He buried his nose in her hair as they stood together contentedly.

*** *** ***

Harry grasped Hermione's hand in his as they climbed the steps to Cho and Neville's flat. Both of them held a wrapped parcel of food in their free hands, still warm due to a few charms, and Harry knocked on the door with his knee.

"One minute!" they heard Cho call and a moment later the door flew open. "Oh it's just you," she said, her eyes cooling at the sight of her best friend and Hermione.

"I've come with a peace offering," Harry said, the merest hint of a smile pulling at the corners of his mouth. "Breakfast for four." Hermione nudged him gently. "Also an apology. I'm sorry for acting like such an arse last night."

Cho stared at him a moment. "All right, who are you and what have you done with Harry Potter?"

"It's amazing what a night of sleeping on the sofa can do for your demeanour," Hermione explained, laughing. "Do you mind if we come in? We even made some of those horrid sandwiches Neville likes so much."

"By all means," Cho stood back. "What did you bring me? We don't have any food here yet."

"Pancakes," Harry answered. "Toast and eggs." He lifted the other hand.

"Do I smell food?" Neville asked, coming into the room. His hair was still damp from his shower and he grinned broadly when he saw that everything seemed to be back to normal.

"Aye," Harry nodded.

"He even brought those disgusting things you like to eat," Cho chimed in, grabbing at one of the parcels Harry held.

Neville shook his head as he took the plate from his fiancée and eagerly took a bite from one of the sandwiches. "You don't know what you're missing. These are really great," he said.

"I'm pregnant and I wouldn't touch those," Cho replied, shuddering.

Everyone laughed, save for Neville, who glared good-naturedly at them all.

"We really are sorry about last night," Hermione said, helping herself to some pancakes.

"No, I'm sorry," Harry interjected. "I was really out of line and I apologise. It was your first day in your new home and I ruined that."

"This breakfast more than makes up for it," Neville said in between bites of his third sandwich. "Seriously, Harry. You didn't ruin anything. We picked the worst possible weekend to move in. I should have known better after what we went through at training in the last week. We were all on edge."

"What did you guys go through that made you so testy?" Cho finally asked, looking at her fiancé. Hermione nodded as well.

Neville shuddered just remembering what last week's training had entailed. "Basically one endurance test after another. Not to mention psychological profiles."

Hermione rubbed his shoulder as the black haired man shook his head. "It was just awful. And we weren't allowed to tell anyone about it... we still aren't supposed to but I don't really care, it's not like you two are going to go off and talk to the Daily Prophet about it."

"I had no idea," Cho said guiltily. "I know you weren't supposed to say anything, but if I had known, I would have suggested putting the move off until next week."

"No," Neville replied. "Our wedding is coming up in three weeks and we wanted to be moved in before it. This is fine." He wove their fingers together as he finished off another sandwich.

"He's right," Harry said. "We're going to finish you up today as well."

"So everyone is going to be on their best behaviour today, right?" Hermione asked, looking around at the group.

"Yes dear," Harry answered, giving her a full grin.

"Well, let's get these dishes cleaned up and get to work then," Hermione said, taking Cho's plate as well as Neville's into the kitchen. Harry followed her and Cho and Neville were alone for a few minutes.

"This place is okay, isn't it?" he asked her. He knew their little flat wasn't as nice as Harry and Hermione's cottage. With his wages being what they were, he couldn't afford much, but at least they finally had a place of their own.

"I love it," Cho replied softly. "It's ours and it could be a one room hovel and I wouldn't care."

Neville grinned. "I feel the same. Once we've gotten everything sorted, I think it'll be great."

"And then we'll have baby," Cho replied.

"You know, I know we said we didn't want to know," Neville said, affectionately rubbing her stomach. "But I have a feeling we're going to have a little girl and she's going to be as beautiful as her mum."

Cho laughed. "Maybe," she replied. "And hopefully he or she will be as sweet as their father."

"As long as she or he is happy and healthy, that's all I want," Neville said, leaning in to kiss her tenderly on the lips. "And I really, really think it's going to be a girl, Cho."

They were still kissing a few minutes later when Harry came back into the room. "What was that you said they called us Hermione? Rabbits?" he said loudly.

"That they did," Hermione said just as loudly. "I think we could call them the pot calling the kettle black. What do you think, Harry?"

"I think so!" Harry called back even louder. Cho and Neville didn't even act like they heard him. "Maybe we should leave the rest of the unpacking to them since they don't even realise we're here!"

"Remind me again why we're friends with him?" Neville asked, reluctantly pulling away from his fiancée.

"Because underneath the annoying overprotective git he'd do anything for us?" Cho asked.

"Yeah once you look past the annoying, overprotectiveness, he's actually an okay bloke," Hermione deadpanned. "Despite all that, I fell in love with him."

Harry grinned. "I do have that effect on people."

"We forgot his huge ego," Neville said, winking at Cho.

"Ha, ha." Harry wrapped his arm around Hermione, who had just come by his side. "Well are we ready to stop picking on me and finish setting up your place?"

"Yes," Cho said sweetly. "And don't kill me for saying this, Harry, but I really don't like the sofas where we put them. Would you pretty please move them for me?"

*** *** ***

The following Friday, Neville and Cho walked toward The Three Broomsticks. They were supposed to meet Lavender and Seamus for a late dinner. The two of them weren't feeling up to going out, but felt they owed it to Lavender and Seamus, who seemed to not want to take no for an answer. Not helping matters was the fact that it had to be one of the coldest nights of the year. Neville put an arm around Cho's shoulders.

"It's bloody freezing tonight," Neville said.

"Tell me about it," Cho shivered. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Floo Powder!"

"Y-you and me b-both," Neville said as his teeth chattered.

They hurried even quicker down the street and Neville stepped forward and held the door open for his fiancée. "They're not here yet," Cho frowned.

"No one is," Neville asked, looking around the pub. "This place is always packed. What's going on?"

"SURPRISE!" several loud voices made both Neville and Cho jump and start to laugh as their friends spilled out of the room.

"Tell us...you had no idea, right?" Lavender asked, helping Cho take off her cloak.

"None!" Cho gasped. "What is all this you guys?"

"Your engagement party, of course," Hermione said, coming forward to give her friends a hug. "Madam Rosmerta was kind enough to let us rent out the entire pub for the evening."

Cho looked around the pub at her close friends and felt tears come to her eyes. "Sorry, guys," she said, laughing. "I cry at the drop of a hat these days."

"Well, you've always been a bit of a sap," Luna teased.

"Hey!" Cho protested but was swamped by Harry and Seamus.

"Only the best for you love," Harry kissed her cheek.

Neville shook his hand and noticed that Ron was sitting alone at the bar, drinking. "How is he?" Neville whispered.

"Already well on his way to getting pissed," Harry said darkly. "Saw Luna here and he's said maybe two words to the rest of us."

"She didn't bring that new bloke with her, did she?" Neville asked, looking around the room.

"No," Harry shook his head. "Luna may be a lot of things but she's not cruel."

"Maybe I should go and talk to him?" Neville asked. "Make sure he's okay?"

"Go for it," Harry said. "I've already tried, so have Hermione, Seamus and even Lavender."

Neville nodded and walked slowly toward the bar. "Hey, Weasley," Neville said warmly, patting his friend on the back.

"Hi," Ron grunted. "Rosmerta, another?" he asked the pretty owner.

"How many of these have you had?" Neville asked, as Rosmerta set another tankard in front of Ron.

"I don't know..." Ron replied. "Six... nine..."

"Why don't you come and join the party?" Neville asked, gesturing to their friends who were crowded around Cho and talking animatedly about something.

"Maybe later," Ron waved his hand and nearly fell off the stool. Neville looked at Rosmerta and made a slashing motion with his hand.

Rosmerta nodded and Neville looked sympathetically at his friend. Ron obviously was determined to drink himself into a stupor. "Come on and join the party," Neville said, trying again. "I think you and I could take Seamus and Harry in a game of darts, what do you say?"

Neville suddenly realized how stupid this sounded. A sober Ron was dangerous with darts. Neville shuddered to think what he'd be like pissed.

"Right... I know where I want to put darts," Ron stumbled off the stool, tankard firmly in hand.

"Ron," Neville said warningly. Ron was headed in Luna's direction. Before he could stop him, Ron had tapped Luna sharply on the shoulder. The blonde girl turned around and stared at Ron.

"Ronald?" she asked, concern etched across her face. "Are you alright?"

"No, can't you bloody see I'm not!" he shouted. "And I'm not RONALD! I'm RON!"

The pub grew silent in the wake of Ron's outburst.

Luna tried to put a hand on his arm, but he shrugged her off. "This isn't like you. Why are you doing this?" she asked, aware that all eyes were on the two of them.

"You didn't bring your new mate along eh?" Ron sneered. "Didn't want me to have to size him up did you?"

"Ron," Harry stepped on one side of his friend. "Let's go outside and cool off." He pulled the tankard forcibly from Ron's hand, passing it on to Seamus.

"Fuck off Potter!" Ron shouted.

"Ron," Luna said quietly, trying to keep her emotions in check. "This is a party for Neville and Cho. You're making a scene. Come on. Let your mates take you outside so you can cool off. Please?"

Ron glared at her as Harry, Seamus and Neville dragged him outside.

"This is NOT the evening for this," Harry said angrily. "You told me you'd be FINE with having Luna here!"

"Yeah so I lied," Ron replied challengingly. "What are you going to do about it?"

Harry whipped out his wand and Neville thought he was about to hex the redhead but he simply muttered a sobering charm.

"That," Harry said flatly. "Now we'd all appreciate if you could act like an adult." He sat down next to his best friend. "We all feel bad about you and Luna all right? She feels bad too!"

"Right," Ron muttered sarcastically.

Inside, Luna sighed heavily. "I really shouldn't have come," she said softly.

"Why not?" Hermione put her arm around the blonde. "Ron's just pissed is all… when he's in a better state of mind he'll be fine with having you here."

"Besides," Cho said. "You're MY friend too. I'm glad you're both here!"

Luna saw Harry, Seamus and Neville come back inside without Ron. "Where is he?" she asked Harry in a low voice.

"Still outside," Harry replied.

"I should probably go talk to him," Luna sighed, gathering her wits.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked.

"I have to," Luna replied. "I'll be all right."

Harry still looked unconvinced. "If you need any help… you wave me down and I'll be out there okay?"

"Thank you," Luna smiled genuinely. She grabbed her cloak and Ron's and stepped outside, shivering as the cold night air hit her.

Ron stared up at the twinkling lights of Hogwarts, running his shoe repeatedly through the gravel pavement. He heard a noise to his left and looked over. "What?" he asked.

"Here," Luna held out his cloak. "Take it, it's freezing out here."

"I don't need it." Ron muttered.

"Take it," Luna repeated. When he still didn't move, she sighed and dropped it over his shoulders.

Ron hunched over as she sat down next to him. "We really need to talk," she said softly.

"What on earth could we possibly have to talk about?" Ron snapped.

"A lot of things," Luna replied. "Us, for starters…"

Ron finally looked at her. "There's an us?" he asked. "Since when?"

Luna chose not to answer his question. "Look…" she said carefully. "I don't hate you. I really hope you don't hate me. We just couldn't make things work Ron!"

"How do you know that?" Ron asked tightly. "You just decided to go and date someone else before we had even broken up!"

"We broke up long before we parted ways," Luna shoved her hands in her pockets, wishing she had gloves.

"That's news to me," Ron replied. "I was perfectly happy with you."

"Sure you were," Luna said.

"I was!" Ron got up abruptly from the bench. "Bloody hell- I don't read minds! If you'd have told me you were unhappy before you decided to move on with this bloke then maybe we could work things out!"

"I haven't moved on Ron!" Luna said. "I still love you all right?"

Ron stared at her. "You do?" he asked quietly.

Luna bit her lower lip. She hadn't meant to let that particular piece of information slide. "Yes," she whispered.

"I don't understand," Ron replied after a moment.

Luna lifted her eyes to meet his. "That doesn't mean I want to get back together with you," she said, her voice shaking.

"Why?" Ron asked. "Can… can you just tell me why? Don't I deserve some sort of explanation?"

Luna had to catch her breath as her eyes filled with tears. She turned her back to him and stared up at the sky. "Do you remember that first night we sat and looked at the stars back at Hillsdale?" she asked.

"Yeah," Ron came up next to her. "And then it rained and you kissed me."

"I told you about the moon and how I used to think it followed me when I was a kid." Luna said in a faraway tone.

"Yeah," Ron said again.

"You didn't laugh at me," Luna said.

"No," Ron replied. "It wasn't funny."

Luna felt a tear trickle down her cheek, the wetness growing cold on her skin. "I loved you for it," she choked out. "For the first time in my life I had someone who I genuinely liked aside from my father taking me seriously."

Ron didn't know where she was going with this. "Luna…"

"And for awhile it was wonderful after we were able to work things out," Luna continued on. "But when we left Hillsdale it's like you left us behind. You're not that busy at the shop yet the only time you come by the office is when you're apologizing for something.

"I have to make all the effort in this relationship. It's not a one way street here," Luna was crying more freely now. "This is hurting me as much as it's hurting you."

"Then why are you seeing this other bloke?" Ron asked. "I can't even bloody look at another girl."

Luna was silent a moment. "He makes me laugh, like you used to. He makes me feel nice about myself, he tells me I deserve to be treated like a queen."

"I think you do too!" Ron said, putting his hand on her arm.

"Don't," Luna stepped away.

"Look," Ron was getting desperate. "What does this guy have that I don't? Name it Luna and I'll do whatever it is."

"He doesn't have anything you don't have," Luna replied quietly.

"Then why are you with him?" Ron asked again. "Are you getting serious with him? Are you-"

"I can't get serious with him," Luna said.

"Why?" Ron couldn't help but ask.

"Because he isn't you," Luna replied.

Ron stared at her, hardly able to move. "Oh," he said.

"I need you to do something for me," Luna pulled a kerchief from her pocket and dabbed her eyes with it. Ron recognised it as one of his.

"Anything," he said immediately.

"Give me some time," she said. "Let's… let's get to know each other again, as friends… not as lovers or a couple but just as people. And then… after that… we can see where it all takes us?"

Ron nodded, a smile spreading over his face for the first time that evening. "Shall we shake on it?" he asked.

"No," Luna wiped at her eyes again. "Let's hug on it."

Ron grinned and reached out for her wordlessly. She settled into his arms, her nose barely reaching his shoulder. "I've never been known for my patience," Ron said. "But I love you too. And if this is what it takes to get you back then I'll do it."

"Thank you," Luna smiled and kissed him on the cheek. "Shall we go back inside and prove to everyone that we're still in one piece?"

"Sounds like a plan to me," Ron replied. He offered her his arm and they went back inside the pub.

*** *** ***

"You've got your eyes closed right?" Lavender asked.

"In addition to the blindfold you've made me wear, yes I have my eyes closed," Cho said sarcastically.

Lavender suppressed a giggle as she opened the door to the workroom where Cho's wedding robes were positioned on a floating mannequin. "I know you know why I've brought you in here," she began.

"To see my robes, right?" Cho interjected.

"And I appreciate you taking my idiosyncrasies in stride," Lavender continued as if Cho hadn't spoken. "This is my first major design and I appreciate you letting me do this for you Cho."

"Well, I should be thanking you for agreeing to do it," Cho said with a smile.

Lavender grinned. "All right, without further ado..." she untied the blindfold. "What do you think?" she asked as Cho opened her eyes.

Cho looked at the beautiful ivory robes and found that she couldn't even begin to find the words to say what she thought. She walked around the mannequin and touched the soft fabric with her hands.

"I, um-" she managed to finally get out, but her voice trailed off as she looked at the robes in awe.

"Are they bad?" Lavender immediately prepared herself for the worst. "If you hate them I'm sorry and I'll help you find new ones..."

"Hate them?" Cho asked softly. "I don't hate them, Lav. They're the most ..." Cho's voice trailed off again as tears welled up in her eyes.

"I've made you cry," Lavender replied. "I'm sorry Cho!"

Cho shook her head. "No, Lav," she said quickly. "I'm not crying because I hate them! I love them. They're the most beautiful robes I've ever seen. I can't believe I actually get to wear them!"

Lavender was relieved. "Oh thank Merlin!" she breathed. "Here, I do need you to try them on so I can see if they need to be taken in or let out anywhere."

Cho laughed. "I think we can rule out having to take them in. I'm as big as a house."

Lavender grinned and turned her back while Cho changed into the robes. "Wow," she said. "I'm so glad I picked this fabric it looks lovely on you!" the ivory colour set off Cho's skin tone and dark hair.

Cho stared at her reflection in the mirror. She, of course, knew she was getting married. She'd accepted the proposal and she'd been busily planning along with Neville, but trying on these robes made it all seem...real. "I'm glad you did, too," Cho said, feeling fresh tears come to her eyes as she looked at her reflection. "This is really going to happen, isn't it?"

Lavender smiled at her. "Yes it is, and very soon." She straightened out one of the sleeves. "Do me a favour and turn to the side..."

Cho did as she was told and watched as Lavender gave her and the robes an appraising look. "Is something wrong?" Cho asked.

Lavender grinned widely. "Take a look in the mirror."

Cho's mouth fell open. From this angle, she actually looked...slim. If someone saw her like this, they might now know she was pregnant at all. "H-how...how did you...?" Cho managed to choke out.

"It's a little charm I had Hermione help me with. She didn't really understand what it was for, but she will when she sees the robes..." Lavender clapped in delight. "I'm so excited that it worked!!"

"You and me both," Cho said, nodding. "Wow, Lavender. I can't believe you did this for me. I don't know how I could begin to repay you for this. It's amazing."

"Well... you can agree to pose for some photos so I can put together a portfolio of sorts. You and Luna will have to pose and I'll probably get some of Hermione as well." Lavender replied. "But I'm so glad you like them Cho."

"You've got yourself a deal," Cho said. She couldn't resist turning around again to catch another glimpse of herself in the robes. "I should probably take these off now, right? Unless you need me to do anything else?"

"I don't think so," Lavender replied thoughtfully. She turned her back again and gathered some scraps of the fabric as Cho changed back into her regular robes. "By the way, did you want a veil of any sort?"

"What do you think?" Cho asked her friend. "I hadn't actually given it much thought."

"You may as well," Lavender replied. "I can make one pretty quickly."

Cho gave Lavender a hug. "Thank you so much, Lavender."

"Anytime," Lavender hugged her. "I can't wait to see what you have for a baby so I can make it a set of robes as well."

"Neville seems to think it's going to be a little girl," Cho said conversationally.

"What would you like it to be?" Lavender carefully hung the robes on the floating mannequin.

"I know this sounds bad and I really only care if its healthy and happy, but I kind of have my heart set on a little girl, too," Cho replied.

"Are you going to teach her to dance?" Lavender smiled.

"Of course," Cho said feeling all emotional as she could picture herself and her little girl practising dance steps. She'd actually thought an awful lot about it. "Besides, if I don't, I'm sure her godfather will."

Lavender squealed. "So you're making Harry the godfather? Who are you naming as the godmother?"

"I know this sounds unconventional," Cho began. "But I was thinking of asking Ron."

When she saw the look of confusion on Lavender's face, she said, "As sort of like a co-godfather. It's just that he's friends with both Neville and me and we've known him just as long as Harry. It sounds crazy, doesn't it?"

"I think it sounds sweet," Lavender replied. "Definitely unusual but sweet."

"Good," Cho said pleased that Lavender thought this sounded like a nice idea. "You don't think Hermione will be mad, do you? I mean, I passed her over for maid of honour and I've decided to go with Ron on this...I hope she doesn't think it's because I don't like her, because I do...very much."

"Well," Lavender said pensively. "You've only known us what... since the beginning of summer holiday. You've known Ron all your life. I don't think Hermione expected to stand up for you in the wedding and I don't think she expects to be named godmother of your baby either. She'll love it regardless, just like the rest of us will."

"Good," Cho said relieved. "I guess we better get back to work. Madam Malkin will think we've apparated to the cafe down the street again."

Lavender laughed. "Right you are," she replied. "I'll be out in a minute, I just want to get the veil fabric together so I can start sewing that later."

"Okay," Cho said. "Thanks again, Lavender. And not just for the robes, either. You've become a really good friend."

"You have too," Lavender smiled back at her.

*** *** ***

Gordon sat at the table in the library that he and Hermione had come to claim as their own. They had a Charms exam coming up in the next few days and he'd suggested a study session after class. He knew she'd say yes even before he'd asked her. If the way to a man's heart was through his stomach, Gordon knew that the way to Hermione's was through books.

Begrudgingly, Gordon had to hand it to Potter. He sure knew how to get himself back in her good graces. It seemed in her eyes, Potter could do no wrong. Gordon hated the way her eyes would light up when she talked about Potter. It was enough to make him want to vomit. But, he had to know something. "Hermione?" he asked softly.

"Hmm?" she asked, clearly absorbed in whatever it was she was reading.

"Do you have anything big planned for Christmas?" he asked. He fixed a smile on his face as she looked up at him over her book. "This will be your first Christmas with Harry, won't it?"

"Yes, you know that," Hermione gave him a somewhat strange look. "We just met in June."

Gordon's smile faltered a bit. "Of course. I was just wondering if you had any big plans for the holiday. Just being conversational is all."

"Well..." Hermione leaned back. "Neville and Cho's wedding is the week before it... that's pretty big. Other than that, Harry, Seamus and I are going over to my parent's house that day I believe."

Gordon nodded. He couldn't help thinking that it should be him that was going to be with her then, not Potter. "That sounds nice," Gordon said. "So, I take it Harry's getting along better with your dad then?"

"Oh they get along like old friends now," Hermione smiled widely. "It's like they've known each other for years. My father loves golfing with Harry- well he can't anymore since the weather's gotten so bad- but Harry's so bad at it." She laughed softly.

"The Boy Who Lived is actually bad at something?" Gordon asked teasingly.

"Oh yes, golf certainly isn't his fine point." Hermione replied. "But my father loves it. And even though Harry hates it he goes just so he and my dad will have something to laugh about later."

Gordon pretended to listen as Hermione related to him some story about Potter playing golf. Gordon felt anger surge in him as he heard Hermione sing Potter's praises yet again. Didn't she see what he had made her into? She was a beautiful, intelligent, charming witch and Potter had turned her into little more than a groupie. She deserved better than that.

"So you'll be having a nice break from classes for the holiday, but what about Harry?" Gordon asked a few moments later. "I can't imagine they let Aurors have that much time off."

That made the corners of Hermione's mouth turn down a bit. "They have Christmas week off, and then they go back on January 2nd." She leaned back. "He even has to go to Madrid almost straightaway for another training session. I hate when they make them do that."

Gordon nodded. An idea suddenly came to him as Hermione excused herself from the table to get another book. He had an old schoolmate who worked for The Daily Prophet. If this friend heard that Harry Potter was to be in Madrid, perhaps he could get some incriminating photos. Admittedly, it might not pan out, but it was worth a shot. And Gordon was getting desperate. If he waited too much longer, Potter would take Hermione away for good and that -Gordon thought-was not an option.