Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: We both want to apologize for not responding personally to reviews this time...real life interfered a bit with both of us this week and you can also blame Sims 2 for taking away some of our attention. We're both addicted, but as long as no one gets hurt... what's the problem right? ;) But, seriously we do promise that we read each and everyone and appreciate them more than you know.

Harry sat on the sofa, doing his required reading for his training while Hermione sat next to him, her shoulder touching his as she flipped through her Charms text and filled out a worksheet.

"This place is so quiet now without Cho here," he spoke aloud, making her jump slightly. "Sorry love, did I scare you?" he grinned.

"A little," she admitted. "I guess it's a little too quiet."

"Yeah," Harry rubbed the back of his head. "Problem is, if I put on the telly I don't read, I watch it."

Hermione giggled as she wrote something on the worksheet. "Sounds as if someone doesn't want to read his training manual."

"I'm sick of training," Harry tossed the book across the room. "Remind me again why I want to be an Auror?"

"Because you were practically born to be one," Hermione said, not looking up from her own textbook. "And you can't get sick of it only a couple of months into it. You have three more years of it."

Harry groaned loudly. "I know," he whined. "Maybe I should have bloody taken that instructor up on skiving off the classes."

"You don't mean that," Hermione said absently, still not looking up at him.

Harry looked over at her. "You know, I think I'll quit the classes," he said casually.

"Uh-huh," she said as she turned a page in her book.

"And after I quit, I'm going to run away and become an exotic dancer." Harry still looked at her.

"Sure, whatever," she said, nodding. It suddenly registered in her head what Harry had just said, she looked up at him finally and asked, "What?"

Harry started laughing. "About time I got your attention," he teased.

"Very funny," Hermione said keeping a straight face. "Unlike some people in this house, I actually want to study."

Harry grabbed her book, tossing it across the room so it landed on his. "And I actually want to snog you right about now..."

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed. "You've made me lose my place! I knew this would happen! You said that if I studied downstairs with you, you'd be on your best behaviour."

"Come on," Harry wheedled. "We need a little break. My eyes are crossing from reading so much!"

Hermione couldn't help laughing. "We've only been at it for 45 minutes. Were you this bad at Hogwarts?"

"No," Harry replied. "You weren't there to distract me unfortunately."

"How about I go upstairs and finish my studying and then you can finish your reading down here and neither of us will have any distractions," Hermione suggested.

"No," Harry shook his head as he firmly wound his arms around her shoulders.

"You're not going to take no for an answer, are you?" she asked, already feeling her resolve weakening.

Harry nibbled on her earlobe, letting his lips and tongue skim over her skin. "Nope," he said softly. "What are you going to do about that?"

"Give in," she whispered. "Like I always seem to do when you do that."

Harry grinned as she turned and he kissed her fully, easing her body down on the sofa. The rest of her books fell to the floor, making him laugh as she pulled her worksheets out from underneath her.

"I wonder if this is what it would have been like if we'd gone to the same school," she wondered aloud. "Would we have snogged all night in our common room? We never would have gotten any work done."

"You say that like it's such a bad thing," Harry replied innocently.

"I'm just saying it's a good thing you and I didn't go to the same school," she said. "Mind you, you probably wouldn't have looked twice at me back then."

Harry laughed as he ran his fingers through her tangled hair. "Mind your tongue, Ms. Granger. I wasn't much to look at then either."

"And you think you are now?" she asked teasingly.

Harry's jaw dropped open and she laughed loudly. "You bet I am," he said cockily.

"I suppose you'll do," she said cheekily and then squealed when Harry began to tickle her unmercifully.

"What was that?" he grinned. "Care to repeat that last statement Granger?"

She was laughing nearly uncontrollably and Harry stopped when he asked her that question allowing her to answer. "I said.. that you are the most handsome, most charming, most outstanding wizard in the entire world. How's that?"

"Better," Harry didn't give her time to breathe as he leaned down and kissed her again, running his hands greedily over her body.

Hermione began to unbutton Harry's shirt. There was no mistaking the look of triumph in his eyes before he leaned down and kissed her again.

He began to rub against her body, making her gasp in pleasure. His fingers deftly began to unbutton her shirt as well as his tongue swept over hers.

Hermione was about to unzip Harry's trousers when she heard the doorbell chime. She pretended not to hear it, hoping that Harry hadn't heard it either. She certainly didn't want him to stop what he was doing.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," Harry said when the doorbell rang again. They were both frozen, her hand still on his zipper. "That's probably Neville with something for the wedding."

"Do you think if we ignore it, he'll go away?" Hermione asked.

"Probably not," Harry groaned. He got off her unwillingly, not bothering to re-button his shirt. Hermione got up as well, hastily fixing herself back up as they went to the front door. "What do you want Neville..." his voice trailed off as he saw who was at the door.

Robert and Elinore were standing on the front steps. The smiles on their faces faded as they took in a very dishevelled Harry and Hermione.

"Mum, Dad," Hermione finally managed to choke out. "W-what are you doing here?"

"We thought we'd drop by to say hello since we haven't seen you in a few weeks," Elinore said. "A nice wizard at that Leaky Cauldron let us through after we told him who we were going to see."

Hermione nodded and saw her father looking at her with an uncomfortable expression on his face.

"Sweetheart, your shirt," Elinore said to her daughter. Hermione pulled a confused face at her mother. Then, looking down at her shirt, she was mortified to see that she'd missed quite a few buttons in her haste to put it back on. Her eyes fell on Harry whose own shirt was still unbuttoned. She nudged him with her elbow.

Harry looked at her for a moment, confused, and suddenly realised what was wrong. He sent an embarrassed smile at Hermione's parents and turned away, buttoning his shirt as fast as he could. "Sorry about that," he cleared his throat. "Why don't you both come in?"

Robert and Elinore exchanged nervous laughter as they walked inside the cottage. Hermione let them take the lead as she needed to fix her own shirt.

"Why are all these books and papers on the floor?" Elinore asked Harry.

"We were studying there," he replied immediately. "You know Hermione, always has a big exam coming up and I was just doing my required reading. The doorbell startled us," he said, his voice too bright.

"Uh-huh," Elinore said, an amused expression on her face.

Hermione quickly gathered up the papers and books and set them on the coffee table. Robert and Elinore took a seat on the sofa. "Um, Harry?" Hermione asked her boyfriend. "Why don't you help me with some tea?"

"Sure," Harry agreed quickly. "I didn't know your parents were coming over," he hissed as soon as they got in the kitchen.

"Neither did I," she retorted. "Merlin! I feel like a teenager who invited her boyfriend over to the house while her parents were away and they came back and caught us snogging each other senseless on the sofa. Did you see the looks on their faces?"

"Your dad hasn't said a word since he walked in." Harry filled the teapot with water. "That's never a good thing."

"It's a good thing you didn't answer the door in your boxer shorts," Hermione said seriously.

Harry shook his head. "They haven't dropped by like this before," he said, grabbing some scones and piling them on a plate. Hermione set a glass dish of jam next to them and began pulling some teacups from the cabinet.

"No, they usually ring first," Hermione agreed. "But on the bright side, at least my dad didn't walk away or punch your lights out or something like that."

"True," Harry said, pouring the hot water into the cups and dropping in tea bags. "Okay," he grabbed up the tray of tea and Hermione held the platter of scones.

Hermione led the way back into the living room. Her parents had obviously been having their own private conversation which stopped abruptly when Harry and Hermione came into the room.

"Don't worry," Hermione said, as she sat the platter down on the table. "I didn't make these."

"I did," Harry grinned at them. "So that means they're actually edible."

Elinore and Hermione laughed, while Robert was still silent. Elinore shot her husband a warning look that didn't go unnoticed by Hermione.

"These are really quite good, Harry," Elinore said after eating one of the scones. "Robert, you should really try one of these."

"Maybe I will," Robert replied. He spread some jam on one and bit into it. "Quite good," he nodded in approval.

Hermione and Harry exchanged relieved glances.

"Oh, Hermione," Elinore said conversationally. "You'll never guess who stopped by the other day. I was so surprised to see him. I almost didn't recognise him. The last time I saw him was when you were still at Beauxbatons. Your friend Gordon Devereaux."

"Gordon came to see you?" Hermione asked taken aback.

"Well, he had some Christmas gifts from his parents to give to us. It's a shame the two families drifted apart when he changed schools," Elinore replied.

Robert didn't miss seeing Harry stiffen at the mention of Gordon, but saw that he managed to keep his composure. "So your family and Gordon's were close?" Harry asked, taking a large bite out of a scone.

"Quite close," Elinore answered wistfully. "We even vacationed together in Athens one holiday when Hermione and Gordon were 12. Once Gordon transferred schools, we never saw them again. I always thought that was sort of strange."

Harry raised his eyebrow at Hermione, who shook her head slightly at him. "Well..." he said. "That's a shame."

Robert sipped his tea. "I'm sure they got busy with other people as we did," he said.

Thinking it'd be a good idea to steer the conversation away from all things Gordon Devereaux, Hermione cleared her throat. "Harry's going to be going to Madrid right after Christmas," she related to her parents.

"Oh really?" Robert turned his attention to the young man. "What's bringing you there?"

"Auror training," Harry replied. "I don't actually leave until right after New Year's... their way I suppose of giving us a holiday."

"At least you and Hermione get to spend your first Christmas together," Elinore said, winking at her daughter. "We're really looking forward to having you for the holiday, Harry."

"I'm looking forward to it as well," Harry said honestly. "I've never really had a family holiday like this one before," he brushed a few crumbs from his trousers.

"We're happy to have you, Harry," Elinore said, sitting her teacup down. "Let's hope it will be the first of many holidays you'll be spending with us."

Harry grinned as he reached over for Hermione's hand. "Let me second that motion," he joked and everyone laughed.

"Well since it's your first true Christmas Harry," Robert began. "You'll have to let me know what you'd like on the table."

"Oh, anything will be fine. I'm not a picky eater," Harry looked at his girlfriend.

Hermione beamed at him. Again, she couldn't help but marvel at how things had changed between her boyfriend and her parents.

"Well, we don't want to keep you," Elinore said, looking at her husband. "We should probably get back home and let you get back to what you were doing before we interrupted you."

Hermione's smile faltered a bit, but she quickly covered. "Yeah, we should get back to studying, right?" she asked, looking to Harry.

"Right," Harry said immediately. "I still have a ton of reading to do for my training class tomorrow. Thank goodness there's only a few more days till my break- Neville and Cho's wedding is next week."

"That's right," Robert smiled. "She's taking it easy still I hope?"

"Yes," Hermione replied. "She's staying off her feet as much as she can. And with her overprotective fiancé and her overprotective best friend, they're making sure she does."

Robert laughed. "That's what I like hearing," he said, his eyes twinkling at Harry as they all got up.

Hermione hugged her parents at the door and she watched as Harry hugged her mum and exchanged a handshake with her dad. After saying goodbye, she closed the door and leaned against it.

"That went quite well, don't you think?" Hermione asked her boyfriend. "If you throw out their arrival, I think it went quite well indeed."

"Quite well," Harry echoed with a sigh. "And well enough to kill off my libido for the evening."

"Something tells me that's what my dad had in mind," Hermione teased, following him back into the living room.

"Right," Harry groaned as she picked up their books. They collapsed back on the sofa, in much of the same position they were before Harry had almost pounced on her.

A few minutes into studying, Hermione suddenly started to giggle.

"What?" Harry asked. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing," Hermione said trying to bite her lip to keep from laughing. "I'm sorry...I was just remembering the look on my parents' faces when you opened the door."

Harry fought to keep from snickering. "That was quite funny wasn't it?"

"I nearly died when she pointed out my shirt wasn't buttoned correctly," Hermione said before collapsing into more giggles.

Harry set his book aside as he began to openly laugh. "And my shirt unbuttoned altogether?" he asked before she began to tear up from giggling so hard.

Hermione wiped a tear from her cheek. "Merlin! Do you think they're talking about it right now?"

"Probably," Harry said with a roar of laughter. "I don't see how they could ignore what we were doing!" they both looked at each other before breaking out into another round of near hysterical laughter.

Hermione closed her book. She knew she was pretty much done for the night and she had a feeling Harry was as well.

"How about we call it an early night and go to bed?" she asked, still laughing.

"Go to bed as in sleep?" Harry asked, throwing her an innocent look yet his eyes held a devilish light.

"Yes, sleep," Hermione said, punching him on the arm. "I thought your libido was 'killed' for the night."

"It was until you said bed," Harry replied.

"Neville was right," Hermione said, shaking her head as she gathered up her books. "We are a bunch of rabbits."

"A bunch?" Harry asked, following her up the stairs. "A bunch?"

"Give me a break, I'm sleepy," she said faking a yawn.

Harry surprised her by grabbing her around the waist, hoisting her up. "That isn't fooling me Granger," he said.

"Oh, all right," Hermione said, laughing. "After all, my mum did tell us to get back to what it was we were doing before they interrupted."

"That she did. So that really means they've given us their blessing to continue having sex all the time," Harry replied.

Hermione laughed. "I just love you managed to twist that around to make it seem like my parents are encouraging our sexual relationship."

Harry grinned. "Call it a special gift," he set her down just inside the bedroom. "One of many."

"You know, we should really look into plans for expanding on this place," Hermione mused.

"What?" Harry looked at her. "Why?"

"Your ego," she teased. "I don't think these walls can hold much more."

"Ha, ha Hermione," Harry held his hands up, wiggling his fingers.

She squealed and moved away. "Don't you dare Potter, especially if you plan on getting any from me tonight."

"All right," Harry dropped his hands immediately.

"That's my good Harry," Hermione cooed, pulling off her jeans and jumper.

"Now come and be my good Hermione," Harry, clad only in his boxers by this point, pulled his girlfriend over to the bed.

*** *** ***

Ron followed the way around the cubicles set out at the Quibbler office to Luna's new office, pointed out to him by the witch sitting near the entrance. She had gotten promoted a few days before, but Ron hadn't seen her much since the engagement party a few weeks previous.

He knocked hesitantly on the door, hoping she wouldn't be angry with him stopping by announced.

Luna looked up in surprise. "Come in!" she called, setting her parchments aside. "Ron!" she said. "What are you doing here?"

"I uh… wanted to congratulate you on your promotion…" Ron said. "I know we were all together the other night but…" he smiled sheepishly. "I didn't really get a chance to talk to you so…"

"Why don't you come in," Luna smiled.

"Thanks," Ron said. "This is a really nice office."

"Thank you," Luna looked at him. "What have you got there?" she asked curiously, nodding at the bag in his hand.

"Oh," Ron replied. "Well since I couldn't bring you champagne on the job I brought some butterbeer… I didn't think I would stay long but I had the afternoon off so I just thought I would drop by."

"Oh, Daddy's let me have this afternoon off from writing so I can set this place up," Luna replied.

"Do you… need any help with anything?" Ron offered.

"Sure," Luna replied, her eyes soft as she looked at him. "I have some pictures I wanted to hang up later."

"All right," Ron uncorked the butterbeer and poured some into the goblets he'd brought with. "Here…" he handed her one. "Should we… you know… toast?"

"To what?" Luna tipped her head to her side.

"To your new job," Ron held up his goblet and Luna clinked hers against his. "May it give you all the money, fame and prestige you want it to,"

She laughed at that as if it were the funniest thing she'd ever heard, making him grin. "To that," Luna drank her glass quickly.

Ron did as well, pouring them another. It was a small bottle of butterbeer so two goblets apiece finished it off. He was about to throw the cork and bottle in the garbage when she pulled the cork from his fingers. "What are you doing with that?"

Luna went around to her desk drawer, extracting a long piece of string and a needle. "I'm going to put it with the rest of my corks," she replied. Ron came around and saw with wide eyes the length of the string.

"Why do you have those all together like that?" he lifted the corks out.

"For luck," Luna replied. "This one is the first butterbeer I ever had. And this is the first one I had after my mother died… this is from the time we had some at Hogwarts…" she seemed to know exactly what each cork was from.

"Wow," Ron finally said. "That's pretty… incredible."

"I think it is," Luna finished pushing the cork over the needle. "If you'd like to help me, you can hang it on the little hooks that are on the walls around the room.

"I thought you wanted to put pictures there," Ron replied.

"The ones near the top of the room," Luna said.

"Oh," Ron squinted. "Well… sure I'll hang this up there if you want…" he pulled out his wand.

"No, will you hang it the Muggle way?" Luna asked him, her hands clasped together while she smiled at him.

"Hang it the Muggle way?" Ron repeated. "I… suppose so." He looked around. "Do you have a ladder?"

"I'm just kidding," Luna laughed. "I wanted to see if you would actually do that."

"Bugger," Ron grinned.

"But do you mind?" Luna held up the cork string again. Ron grabbed his wand from his pocket and levitated the string from her hands onto the hooks above them. It was so long it actually stretched along three quarters of the room, leaving only a few inches of the string to spare.

"It's a good fit," Ron said. Luna was sitting cross legged on her desk, drinking from her goblet of butterbeer.

"I can still add more when I get more corks," Luna nodded. "Thank you Ron," she smiled at him.

"Sure," Ron replied. "Can I sit up here with you?"

Luna moved over as Ron sat next to her, crossing his legs as well. "I love the view from here," she said. "I can see the pond and the forest."

"It's really nice," Ron agreed, looking sideways at her. "What else have you been doing aside from moving up in the world?"

Luna shrugged. "Just helping Cho get ready for the wedding, mostly. Lavender's been having me out for fittings every other week."

"Have you seen the top secret robes that she's doing for Cho?" Ron asked.

"No, but apparently Lavender finally showed them to Cho and she hasn't stopped gushing about them since." Luna smiled. "Lavender's got quite the eye for design."

"So I've heard," Ron replied. "Hey guess what…" he said

"What?" Luna asked.

"My brothers are talking to me about taking over the Diagon Alley shop so they can work more in the Hogsmeade location." Ron replied. "They said I could hire some staff to take over my spot and I'll move up to manager."

"That's fantastic," Luna said. "Why didn't you tell me when you walked in?"

"Because I wanted to celebrate with you about your promotion," Ron answered, shrugging.

Luna stared at him for a moment. "You still surprise me sometimes," she said softly.

"What do you mean?" Ron asked.

She shrugged. "Nothing," she said. "Just…" Luna played with some loose strands of hair.

"What?" Ron asked.

"It's not my place to say anymore," Luna said in an even softer voice.

"Yes it is," Ron replied.

"We… we're not dating anymore," she said, her tone turning slightly sad.

Ron nodded after a moment. "Right," he said, equally quiet. They sat in silence a few more minutes before he got off her desk. "Well… why don't you tell me where you want me to hang those pictures for you?"

Luna felt a surge of affection towards him. "That one…" she pointed to a still life. "I'd like it there…" she watched Ron hang up the pictures, a tiny smile playing on her lips. He was handling their 'getting to know one another phase' much more maturely than she thought he would.

"That how you want it?" Ron asked. He looked around the office, noticing how much nicer it already looked from just the pictures and her butterbeer cork string.

"Yes," she clapped her hands, her hair swinging behind her. The door opened at that moment and Michael stepped inside.

"Wow," he looked around. "I came in to see if you needed any help but it seems you have everything set up already!"

Luna felt her face flame. "Yes, I had some good help," she looked at Ron, who was standing silently in the corner. "Um… this is Ron, Ron this is Michael."

"Nice to meet you," Michael said innocently, not realising who Ron was. "Good friend of Luna's?"

"Yeah," Ron replied after a moment, shaking Michael's hand. "We're good friends," he fought hard to keep his face from turning as red as his hair. "I should probably head out so you can get anything else you need finished up."

"All right," Luna managed, grateful that Ron wasn't about to make a scene. Perhaps she had misjudged him; perhaps he really truly was serious about working things back out with her. "Thank you for coming by," she smiled at him, hugging him briefly.

"No problem," Ron kissed her quickly on the cheek. "Nice meeting you Michael," he said.

"You too," Michael smiled at him, still obviously unaware of who Ron was.

Ron looked one more time at Luna and left her office, walking quickly from the main room of the Quibbler. Once outside, he sucked in some cold air, letting his body relax. "You handled that well," he said to himself.

Back inside the office, Michael was looking around. "Why are those corks hanging up there?" he asked.

"Oh those are my lucky butterbeer corks," Luna explained, her mind still on the redhead that had just left.

"Lucky ones?" Michael was amused.

"I can remember where I drank each and every one of them," Luna said proudly.

"Really," Michael looked like he was trying not to laugh.

She sat down at her desk. "I just can't believe I'm in this office... it's so much nicer than the cubicle... it's quieter and more private as well."

Michael sat down in a chair across from Luna. He stretched his long legs out and gave her a charming smile. "I'm sure it doesn't hurt with your dad owning the paper and all." He'd meant it to tease her, but as soon as he said it, he knew he'd struck a nerve.

"Well..." Luna fiddled with some quills. "If I'd wanted to ride on my father's glory then I would have, instead of working from the bottom up."

"I'm sorry, Luna. That didn't come out right. You know I didn't mean that, don't you?" Michael asked a serious expression on her face. "I was just trying to have a go with you. You're the most talented writer on staff. Everyone knows that."

"I know," Luna forced a smile onto her face. "My father gave me the rest of this afternoon off to set up, but now that Ron hung up everything, I just need to clean up my desk and I'll be through."

"Would you want to go out for a late lunch?" Michael asked. "I don't have any photo assignments today, so I have a free afternoon, too?" She looked a little hesitant to Michael's disappointment. "Come on, Luna," Michael said, pretending to pout. "Don't make me eat by myself. You know you really want to..."

"I appreciate the offer," Luna replied. "But maybe I can take a rain check? I really want to get everything organised in here."

"I'll hold you to that," Michael said grinning at her. He stood up from his chair and walked toward the door. "If you change your mind, I'll be in the darkroom developing."

"Okay," Luna nodded at him, her mind already far away. She liked Michael... but after two dates with him she could tell the relationship would not be going anywhere. Especially now with her reconciliation with Ron- she hadn't been lying when she told him she was still in love with him. And his mature behaviour towards their 'deal' was definitely leaving an impact on her.

*** *** ***

Harry opened up the door to the cottage and nearly collapsed against the door. It had been another marathon training session. It had started at 3 a.m. and luckily the instructors took pity on them and let them leave at lunchtime. Harry had been too knackered to join any of his classmates for lunch and decided to take advantage of the empty cottage to get some much needed rest.

He'd just taken off his trainers and settled back on the sofa when the doorbell rang. Harry thought about ignoring it, but whoever it was, wasn't taking the hint. Harry sighed heavily and stalked over to the door and swung it open and saw his best friend standing on the doorstep. "Ron," Harry said, trying not to snap at his friend. He knew Ron had been through quite a lot lately and he didn't need Harry yelling at him. "What are you doing here?"

"I really think I'm doing it!" Ron grinned stepping inside as Harry closed the door behind him.

"Doing what?" Harry asked, yawning.

"I think I'm winning Luna back!" Ron almost did a little jump in the hallway.

"Making progress, are you?" Harry said smiling at his friend. "Nice to know you finally sussed that the pathetic drunk routine wasn't working for you."

"Hilarious Potter," Ron replied. "But you guys were right. Today I went into her office to sort of... celebrate since I really didn't get a chance to talk to her the other night. I brought some butterbeer and then I helped her hang some things up..." he trailed off for a moment. "Then her new bloke walked in."

"And...?" Harry asked impatiently.

"I kept it cool," Ron said proudly. "I even shook his hand."

"Okay," Harry said slowly. "Who are you and what have you done to Ron Weasley?"

"Hilarious again Potter," Ron was clearly in too good a mood to be offended.

"All joking aside, I'm proud of you," Harry said, walking into the kitchen. "You want anything to drink?"

"Got any butterbeer?" Ron asked.

Harry walked over to the icebox. "Sorry," he said, looking inside. "I think Hermione took the last one with her this morning. We do have some nasty looking pumpkin juice that I think Cho left when she moved. So, it's either tea or water, your choice."

Ron grimaced. "Tea then," he answered. "I have some other news too," he told Harry of his promotion to store manager.

"That's great!" Harry said, as he filled the tea kettle. "Sounds like things are really turning around for you."

"I really hope so," Ron said. "I have something to ask you now."

"Okay," Harry said, placing the kettle on the stove. "What's on your mind?"

"Do you think I should tell Luna about how I was saving up for a place for the two of us?" Ron asked. "I mean... even though she and I... broke up... I've still been putting money away."

Harry looked thoughtful for a few moments. "When did you plan on telling her? It might be a bit too soon."

"Well I wouldn't say anything until we officially got back together... it's just that... my keeping my savings a secret was a big strain on our relationship... that and me putting my foot in my mouth all the time," Ron accepted the steaming cup of tea.

"If the two of you get back together," Harry began, but seeing the look on Ron's face, he decided to rephrase that. "I meant 'when the two of you get back together', you should tell her. Be honest with her. Honesty is very important to Luna."

"I realise that now," Ron replied.

"I have a bit of good news for you," Harry said smugly. "If you want to hear it that is..."

"Of course I do," Ron said. "What is it?"

Harry grinned. "I happen to know that a certain blue-eyed blonde will be going to Cho's wedding all by herself."

Ron's eyes brightened. "She is? She's not going with that Michael bloke?"

"She was telling Cho the other night that he's going to be out of town that weekend on assignment," Harry said.

"Should I ask her to go with me? Or should I just go alone as well?" Ron asked, excited by this news.

"Why don't you ask her to go as friends?" Harry suggested.

"I can't believe I didn't think of that," Ron said.

"That's what I'm here for," Harry joked. "To think of the things you don't. Besides, if you need romantic advice, you should come to the expert."

"Oh you mean the expert who couldn't even keep his girlfriend awake during the act?" Ron teased.

Harry glowered at him. "You've been speaking to Cho?"

Ron laughed at him. "I didn't have to. I heard it from Seamus, who heard it from Lavender, who probably heard it from Cho."

"I'm never telling you people anything," Harry said crossly. "And she didn't fall asleep, she just...you know...dozed off for a minute."

"Right," Ron drained the rest of his tea, his blue eyes twinkling.

"Besides, it only happened one time," Harry said, not yet ready to let this go. "And she was really tired from studying all night..."

"I believe you," Ron snorted, hiding his laughter.

"Yeah, you sound like you do," Harry retorted. "We were talking about you, anyway. How did this end up on me?"

"I don't know..." Ron was still trying to snort down his laughter. "Maybe I should ask Hermione... when she's awake that is..."

"Very funny," Harry said, sitting down at the table. "I remember you nearly blinding Luna that date I set up for the two of you by the lake...remember that?"

"All right, point taken," Ron replied.

Harry grinned. He watched as Ron grabbed a tin of biscuits from the cabinet. "Help yourself, Ron. Those are Hermione's by the way."

"Okay," Ron munched away happily. "I am starving. I didn't have a chance to grab lunch."

"Somehow I don't think she'll understand," Harry said, shaking his head. "Those are her favourites. She doesn't even let me have any."

"I'm a guest," Ron said, dropping crumbs onto the tabletop.

"Who is quickly overstaying his welcome," Harry quipped.

"Hey thanks a lot," Ron said, frowning. "I haven't been over here in ages!"

"You were over here two nights ago," Harry reminded him. "Don't you remember? We ordered pizza...Hermione and I had maybe two slices and you had the rest."

"Oh yeah," Ron replied as both men heard the front door open.

"If you value your life, put the biscuits back," Harry whispered quickly to his friend.

Ron didn't have time to move as they heard Hermione drop her bag in the hallway. "Hello?" she called out.

"In here," Harry called back.

Hermione was smiling when she came in. "I thought you wouldn't be back until late, love," she said. Her eyes travelled to Ron and her smile died. "What are you doing with my biscuits?" she demanded.

"Nuffing," Ron mumbled his mouth still full.

She snatched the bag away, Harry leaning back with an amused smile. "There's only one left!" she cried.

"Harry said it was okay," Ron said, quickly swallowing.

"I did not!" Harry said quickly. "I tried to stop him! He wouldn't listen. You know how he is!"

"Yes, unfortunately I do," Hermione dropped the bag on the table. "You should consider yourself lucky, Weasley for I happen to be in an extremely good mood today and therefore you will not be punished." Her eyes narrowed. "But if you ever touch those biscuits in this house again... you'll be sporting a tail and fuzzy ears for the rest of your life."

Ron gulped as Harry mouthed "I told you so" behind Hermione.

"Why are you in such a good mood?" Harry asked, getting up from his chair and pecking her on the cheek.

Hermione grinned and disappeared back into the hallway, coming back a moment later with a piece of paper. "Full marks," she said excitedly. "Furthermore, this has put me completely back on top of the class!"

"Congratulations!" Harry said, picking her up and swinging her around. "That's my girl!"

Hermione hugged him tightly. "I didn't think you would be here," she kissed him quickly on the lips. "But I'm glad you are so I could share my news."

"I am too," Harry said grinning at her. "They let us go early today. But it's another 3 a.m. start tomorrow."

"Awww..." Hermione frowned. "I don't like this new schedule."

"What the bloody hell do they have you there for at three am?" Ron asked.

"I have no idea," Harry replied. "Neville and I think it has something to do with sleep deprivation as a form of torture."

"And what exactly made you want to go into this profession?" Ron grilled.

"I ask myself that everyday," Harry said with a laugh. "And when I come up with an answer, I'll let you know."

Hermione made a noise and hugged him again. "And they keep bloody sending him and Neville out to different places as well. I'm surprised you guys managed to get that week off during the time when Cho is due to give birth." She said to both him and Ron.

"We sure lucked out with that," Harry said. "Hell, I don't really care why they gave us the time off, I'm just glad we got it."

"Well at least after Thursday you're on holiday," Hermione said, her arms still firmly around his neck.

"Do you mind?" Ron asked, rolling his eyes. "I just finished eating."

"MY biscuits," Hermione glared at him.

"Yeah, right," Ron said sheepishly. "They were quite good, Hermione."

"You owe me a new bag," Hermione said sternly.

"I didn't eat the whole bag," Ron pointed out. "There's still one left."

Hermione narrowed her eyes at him. "Don't get cute with me Ronald Weasley," she said and Harry began to laugh.

"I'll buy you a new bag," Ron said hoping that this would appease Hermione. "Maybe I should just go..."

"That sounds good," Harry said shamelessly letting his hand wander up the back of Hermione's shirt.

Ron covered his eyes with his hands. "Okay, okay! I'm going."

Harry could have sworn he muttered something that sounded suspiciously like 'rabbits' as he left, closing the front door behind him. "Well at least now I can properly show you how proud I am of you," He grinned.

Hermione frowned. "Oh, Harry. I'd really like to, but I promised Gordon I'd meet him for coffee. He's going home tomorrow for Christmas and he wanted to...What's that look for?"

"Nothing," Harry replied. "But you don't even have time to kiss me?"

"Of course. I always have time for that," Hermione said grinning as she pressed her lips to his.

Harry kept her there for several minutes longer than she probably had intended before letting her go. "I'm going to try and kip," he said. "But wake me up when you get back later will you?"

"I will," she said, touching his cheek affectionately. "I'll probably stop by the shops on my way home and pick up some groceries, we're running dangerously low...thanks to Ron."

"Yeah I offered him something to drink and we're out of butterbeer," Harry replied. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as he kissed her again. "Love you,"

"Love you," she echoed. She followed Harry out of the kitchen and toward the door. She laughed as he helped her on with her cloak. With her eyes twinkling she said, "I'd get lots of sleep if I were you..."

"Oh and why's that Granger?" he asked, grinning cockily.

Hermione giggled. "That's for me to know and you to find out."

*** *** ***

"Another store?" Harry whined. "Come on Hermione… we're not going to find anything for your dad here. Let's go back to Harrods and get something there!" He and Hermione had left the wizarding world behind to find Christmas gifts for her parents. It was the last spare moment of time either one of them had until the holiday- the next day was Cho and Neville's wedding and a few days after that it would be Christmas.

Hermione sighed. She would have been as frustrated as him, usually. Normally, she didn't care too much for shopping, but Christmas was different. She liked being around all the people and seeing all the decorations. Her boyfriend, though, hadn't exactly shared her mood. Yes, it was cold and yes, she'd dragged him in and out of about a dozen shops, but it was Christmas after all.

"Are you going to complain the rest of the day?" she asked teasingly. "Where's your Christmas spirit?"

"I had it the first seven shops we went into," Harry replied sullenly. "And then I lost it somewhere between Westminster and Knightsbridge."

Despite herself, Hermione couldn't help laughing. "Okay. How about a compromise? After this shop, we can go and get some hot cocoa? How does that sound?"

Harry grabbed her gloved hand. "That sounds better," he agreed.

"I still think you're just mad because that little boy in the toy shop stomped on your toe," Hermione said, laughing.

"It seems, Ms. Granger, that you forget I enjoy dancing. If my feet are injured, I don't dance." Harry replied.

"He barely stepped on your foot," Hermione pointed out.

Harry patted her head. "It's okay Hermione," he said sufferingly as if she were five years old. "You can't possibly understand what it's like to be a real dancer and have people step on your feet."

Hermione glared at him. "Note to self...return Harry's Christmas present."

He was the one laughing now. "And what was that you were just thinking? Me being a bad sport?" Harry let go of her hand and wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

Hermione giggled. "Yet another thing we have in common."

"What, mind reading?" Harry nuzzled her neck above the pink Muggle coat she was wearing.

"Hermione!" a familiar voice called out to her. Hermione pulled abruptly away from Harry and turned to see Gordon striding over to them from the back of the shop.

"Gordon?" she asked. "What on earth are you doing here? I thought you went to your parents' house for the holiday."

"I was," Gordon replied. "But they got called away on business so I came back here to London."

Hermione gave him a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry to hear that. I know how much you were looking forward to going home."

"It's all right," Gordon shrugged. "Good to see you Harry," he nodded to the other man.

Harry unenthusiastically shook Gordon's hand. "What have you been up to since the holidays started?" he asked, knowing it would make his girlfriend happy have him be nice, even if he disliked Gordon tremendously.

"Taking it easy," Gordon answered. "I've actually been trying to get ahead on that book list our Charms professor gave us. Have you managed to get any of that done?"

Hermione gave him a sheepish smile. "Harry made me promise not to even think about studying the entire holiday."

Gordon shook his head. "I would have thought you'd want to keep ahead of things."

"She did," Harry replied. "But we're taking our first holiday together just having a good time and doing whatever the day takes us to do."

Gordon looked at Potter and fought the urge to wipe that satisfied smug look off of his face.

"That's nice, I suppose," Gordon said. "But you really don't want to get behind, do you Hermione?"

"Don't worry about me," Hermione said reassuringly. "I'll be okay. Besides, the professor did say it was optional reading."

"Optional is always their way of saying required," Gordon replied.

"I hadn't thought about that," Hermione said pulling a worried face. "Do you really think I'll be that behind?"

"Of course you won't," Harry said, putting his arm around her shoulders again. "Besides, you'll have plenty of time to read after I go out of town," he grinned at her.

"She really should do some reading," Gordon said, not letting the issue go. "You don't want to have your marks drop again, do you, Hermione?"

"Of course, not," Hermione replied. "But Harry's right. I'll be able to catch up once he's in Madrid."

Harry couldn't stop the smirk that played about his lips. "We should really get going Hermione," he said. "We've got to get that gift for your dad and we have to go home and get ready for rehearsal tonight."

Seeing his opening, Gordon decided to go for it. "Rehearsal?" Gordon asked. "Your friends are getting married, right?"

"That they are," Harry answered. "Tomorrow is their big day."

Hermione looked at Gordon and she knew how hard it must be on him to be away from his family during the holidays. Her heart went out to him. An idea came to her suddenly and she looked at Gordon.

"Would you excuse Harry and me for just a moment?" she asked. "I need to talk to him about something."

Gordon nodded and watched as Hermione led I a few feet away.

"Harry?" Hermione asked, keeping her voice down so Gordon wouldn't hear. "I have something to ask you."

"What is it?" Harry asked.

"Do you think Cho would mind if I asked Gordon to the reception?" Hermione asked. "I wouldn't ask him to the ceremony because I know they wanted to keep that private, but don't you think it'd be okay to ask him to the reception afterwards?"

Harry didn't know what he was expecting her to ask but it certainly wasn't that. "Ask Gordon to Neville and Cho's wedding reception?" he repeated.

"You heard him," Hermione said. "He's going to be all alone for the holiday. What would it hurt to have him at the reception? No one should be alone during Christmas."

"You'd have to ask Cho or Neville," Harry said, clearly uncomfortable with the idea.

"I'm sure they wouldn't mind," Hermione said. "Besides, they'll be too wrapped up in each other to care about who's there."

"Well... you can ask him if you want," Harry replied, glancing furtively at the other man. "I don't want any part in it though."

"If you're worried about him showing you up on the dance floor, you needn't worry at all," Hermione said, trying to make him smile. "He has two left feet, Harry."

"It's not that..." Harry sighed. "It's nothing..." he didn't want to bring about the whole Gordon argument, especially right before Christmas.

"Okay," Hermione said, taking his hand. "If you don't want me to ask him, I won't. But, he's my friend, Harry. He's helped me out so much this past term and I feel like it's the least I could do."

"If you feel like you want to ask him, then ask." Harry replied.

Hermione beamed at him. "Have I told you today how much I love you?"

Harry smiled back at her. "Not in the past few hours you haven't."

Gordon tried not to watch Harry and Hermione talking, but he couldn't help it. He wished he could hear what they were saying, but whatever it was, it sounded serious. Harry obviously wasn't happy with something Hermione was saying. Any joy he felt at them having a disagreement was quelled when he saw Hermione stand on her tiptoes and kiss Potter.

Gordon glared at the two of them. Unfortunately, Potter caught him looking. Gordon realized he had to do something to throw him off.

"Gordon," Hermione said as they came back over by him. "Would you be interested in coming to the reception tomorrow evening? I'm sure Cho and Neville wouldn't mind having you there."

"That's awfully nice of you, Hermione," Gordon said, seeing that Harry looked less than thrilled at this prospect. "But I couldn't possibly impose..."

"Nonsense," Hermione replied. "It's going to be fun- they've rented out a room at a great Italian restaurant, there will be dancing, even though I know you're not much of a dancer and some great food..."

Gordon smiled. "When you put it that way, how could I refuse?" He laughed as Hermione gave him a warm hug. "I, um, wonder if it would be alright if I brought a date along?" Gordon asked, as he reluctantly let go of Hermione.

Neither Harry nor Hermione could mask their surprise. "When did you start dating someone?" she asked.

Gordon quickly searched his mind for someone he could ask. He remembered a cashier at Flourish & Blotts who flirted with him every time he came in the store. He'd never paid her any mind because he only had eyes for Hermione, but she could definitely come in handy in a situation like this.

"Just recently," Gordon answered. "She works at Flourish & Blotts. Actually gives me a little discount every time I go in there. We started talking and it kind of built from there."

"That's so sweet," Hermione smiled. "What do you think Harry- think Cho or Neville will mind?"

"Probably not," Harry answered, still suspicious. "We should really make sure tonight at the rehearsal."

"Sure," Hermione said. "Gordon, I'll give you a ring tonight after the rehearsal and let you know."

"Okay," Gordon said with a smile. "And thanks again, Hermione. I really appreciate it."

"Sure," Hermione beamed at him again. "We should really get going now though. I'm so glad you're going to come!"

"Me, too," Gordon said, giving her a goodbye hug.

Harry grabbed her hand as they left the shop. Hermione was practically skipping along the pavement as he pulled her into Harrods.

"Isn't that great about Gordon?" Hermione asked. "I'm so glad he's found someone. He really is a great guy."

"Right, a great guy," Harry repeated as they went into the section where the teas and jam were shelved.

"Not as great as my guy," Hermione said, smiling at him over a display of gift baskets.

Harry couldn't stop his grin. "I love you," he whispered gruffly in her ear as he hugged her from behind.

Hermione wrapped her arm around his neck. "This is going to be the best Christmas ever, you realise that, right?"

"It already has been," he kissed her cheek.