Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Well a lot of you are still confused as to how Hermione can be so blind to Gordon… think of it this way- he's not yet slipped up in front of her aside from almost kissing her, so she doesn't quite see what Harry sees. And aside from Harry, none of her friends have really talked about what they think of Gordon.

And a lot of you are asking how long the story is- its 45 chapters long!

Again, if you enjoy it, please review!

"So Skylar noticed it too," Ron said as Harry finished telling him what had happened with the other woman at Flourish and Blotts. "It's funny… Hermione is so smart yet she doesn't see this. I know we've all said it before but how can someone so smart not see that the bloke fancies her?"

Harry shrugged. "I'd never tell her this, of course, but I think its because she never really had a boyfriend before. She told me before we got together that blokes didn't see her like that, can you believe that?"

Ron shrugged. "So I guess being book smart doesn't make you smart in everything else," he replied thoughtfully.

"I guess not," Harry said with a weak laugh. "And then she accused ME of feeding her stories. If I didn't know better, I'd think the git put a charm on her to think everything he says is the truth."

"He might have," Ron said. "He's supposedly pretty smart isn't he?"

"Ranks right up there with Hermione," Harry replied.

Ron sighed. "Well... I'm not sure what to tell you mate..." he looked at his shoes for a moment then sat straight up. "Wait a minute!"

"What?" Harry asked.

"I could see if Luna can drag up any information!" Ron said a bit excitedly. "She has access to any newspaper she wants from anywhere in the world- I can ask her to find out anything that's in any paper on Gordon Devereaux!"

"Ron, if you could do that, that'd be brilliant!" Harry said excitedly. "If she could get me proof..."

"Well that's assuming there IS something," Ron said cautiously. "I mean... what DO we know about him Harry? For all appearances he's just your everyday bloke."

"That's what's so scary," Harry said, shaking his head. "I have no idea who this bloke is and what he's capable of. To make matters worse, my girlfriend thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread."

"No, that's what she thinks about YOU Harry," Ron shook his head. "The problem here is that she doesn't see what Gordon thinks of her."

"It's so frustrating that she thinks I'm saying all of this because I'm jealous over him and that somehow I'm afraid he's going to take her away from me," Harry said with a hollow laugh. "I swear if he thinks about harming one hair on her head, I'll kill him."

Ron grew serious. "Well..." he didn't really know what to say. "I don't think he'd go that far do you?"

"I have no bloody idea," Harry answered simply.

"Well I'll send Luna an owl, although she probably won't have time to dig up anything until she comes home for the weekend." Ron got up. "Just... Harry... don't be upset if we don't find anything on Gordon all right? Chances are he's as clean as a whistle."

Harry nodded. It was honestly taking all he had not to go and beat Gordon Devereaux to a pulp at the moment. "I almost didn't want to let her go to class today. But, I knew if I said anything, she'd just go spare on me again."

"Puts you between a rock and a hard place aye?" Ron asked.

"Yes it does," Harry said, his hands clenching the end of the counter. "Unfortunately, it's not enough for me to tell her that's he's a liar and Merlin knows what else. I've got to have proof. I've got to give her something that she can't just dismiss because he's her friend."

"All right," Ron replied. "I hope for your sake that Luna can find something for you to go on."

"I know she's been busy, but anything she could find for me on him would be greatly appreciated," Harry said. Deciding that it'd probably be a good idea to change the subject because talking about Gordon only infuriated him more, Harry asked Ron about Luna. "So how much longer before the two of you move into your flat?"

"Two or three weeks," Ron replied. "It's great isn't it? Mum doesn't want me to move out but I think it's really good that Luna and I are finally getting our place."

Harry nodded. "Ickle Ronniekins is finally growing up, eh?"

"Ha, ha Harry." Ron snorted. "You're hilarious."

"Seriously, though," Harry said after Ron had finished glaring at him. "Has Luna decided where she wants to stay? Boston or London?"

"No, not yet," Ron sighed as he leaned against the counter. "I hope she will soon, but I'm not going to step in her way to make her choose sticking around here. If she wants to be in Boston..." he shrugged.

"Her dad's here, though," Harry said thoughtfully. "Her friends are here. And more importantly, you're here. I think London will win in the end."

Ron smiled. "Well... either way, she promised me we'll make things work."

"Of course you will," Harry said encouragingly. "The two of you belong together just like Hermione and me."

"Right," Ron grinned.

*** *** ***

Neville pushed Chiaki along in her pram as Cho led the way down the street. Chiaki had been fussy all morning, but something about being pushed around in the pram calmed her and she was smiling happily up at her father. Of course, it helped that he kept making goofy faces at her. "Who's Daddy's little girl?" he asked in a sing-song voice.

Cho laughed. "I hope you don't expect her to answer you yet," she teased.

"Don't listen to Mummy," Neville said to a cooing Chiaki. "She has no faith."

"Hey!" Cho replied, reading the numbers over the doors. "I do too have faith."

"I was only teasing," Neville said quickly. "I'm glad that I have the week off and can help you scout out places."

"I think this is it," Cho stopped in front of a brick building. "I can't believe I'm possibly going to open my own dance studio!" she smiled at her husband. "Honestly... you'd tell me if it was a stupid idea right?"

"I would," Neville said giving her a reassuring smile. "But I think this is a fantastic idea. You've always wanted to do something like this and you're going to be great at it."

"Okay," Cho gave him a quick peck on the lips before opening the door. She picked up Chiaki as Neville pushed the pram inside the lobby and off to the side.

"How much does this one cost?" Neville asked.

"This one..." Cho consulted her sheet. "This one is nine fifty a month... which is one of the cheaper places but I really like it." she looked around the large room. "It's already got nice wood floors and I'd just need to put some mirrors along the walls...."

"And bars, too," Neville chimed in. "With a bit of work, I think we could make this look quite nice."

Cho bit her lip to keep from letting her smile grow too large. "Yeah it could definitely look quite nice..."

"You still afraid of getting your hopes up?" Neville asked her. "You're not going to jinx yourself, Cho. I promise. It's okay to get excited about this."

"I am excited," Cho assured him. "I just... I've had a lot of bad luck with things and I don't want this to fall into that category as well..." she pushed her long ponytail over her shoulder.

"It won't," Neville said, kissing her cheek. "I'm sure Gringotts will approve your loan application."

"Making a deal with the goblins is a bit scary," Cho laughed. "I'll definitely have to be prompt on paying them back."

"I still don't understand why you haven't told Harry or anyone else other than me about this," Neville said, taking the baby back from Cho so she could explore the room freely.

"I guess it's just part of me being nervous about having this actually work," Cho said, running her hand over the wall. "I know I'm really just being silly but I don't want anyone to know about this until I get my loan and everything is underway."

"I can understand that," Neville said, patting his daughter's back as he rocked gently back and forth on his feet. "And you'll get your loan, sweetheart. They'd be crazy to turn you down. Gran promised to put in a good word for you. I think she may be the only person alive the goblins are actually afraid of."

Cho laughed. "I hope you're right," she replied as she inspected the windows that faced the alley. "I think this place will be perfect for a studio." she imagined herself leading young children around and teaching them what she knew.

"Hey," Neville said smiling at her. "What about you give your first lesson to this little one?" He carried Chiaki over to Cho. "Do you want to dance with your Mum, my sweet girl?"

Cho kissed her daughter's soft head. "I hope she'll want to dance someday," she said quietly.

"I expect she will," Neville said softly. "It's in her blood."

She gave her husband a kiss. "And maybe I'll get you to show off a few moves as well someday," she teased.

"Oh, are you a miracle worker as well then?" he asked her. "Because I don't think you can make my two left feet do anything but step all over your delicate toes."

"I'm an expert at avoiding toes," Cho informed him as she spun around gently with Chiaki. "I'll have you know that I taught Harry everything despite what he might say about his dancing abilities."

"He's always saying it was him who taught you everything," Neville said with a laugh.

"He would," Cho rolled her eyes. "He's got such an ego."

"That he does," Neville agreed, smiling as Chiaki gurgled in Cho's arms. "Hey, I think she likes it."

"Well we might have something new to calm her down with," Cho laughed as her daughter grinned toothlessly. "She's smiling at me!"

"Either that or she's laughing about her godfather having an ego the size of Big Ben," Neville deadpanned.

"Hmm..." Cho tipped her head to the side. "You're right... we'll have to try both tactics next time she's crying."

"Better not tell Harry that," Neville advised.

"Right," Cho laughed again as Chiaki gurgled at her. "All right love... I think this place is a taker."

Neville smiled. "What time was your appointment at Gringotts again?"

"At three thirty," Cho replied. "What time is it?"

"Just gone three," Neville said, looking at his watch. "We should probably head out now if want to make it on time."

"Right," Cho replied, handing Chiaki back to her father. "Thanks for all your help so far Neville. It really means a lot to me."

"I'd do anything for you," he said, setting his daughter gingerly back into the pram. "And anything that can get you to smile like that, I'm all for. It's great to see you so happy, Cho."

"I definitely am happy," Cho gave him a lingering kiss. "I've got a gorgeous daughter, the best husband I could ever ask for and I'm about to open my own dance studio... I don't know if my life could get better than this," she leaned against him as he wrapped his arms around her.

"And you forgot to add that your husband's mean old instructor is on his way to Bulgaria," Neville added.

"As if we all haven't heard enough about that, from both you AND Harry," Cho teased.

"It bears repeating," Neville said defensively. "I just hate it for poor, unsuspecting Bulgaria. They have no idea about the horror that is about to be unleashed on them."

"Aye," Cho replied. "I'm surprised with his credentials in question that they didn't kick him out of the training program altogether."

"The important thing is that he's gone," Neville said. "Good riddance is what I say."

"Good riddance," Cho kissed him as they left her future studio.

*** *** ***

Andrew Murphy was nervous as he stood outside Gordon Devereaux's flat. He hadn't seen his friend since the debacle with the unconfirmed tips, and he was worried that Gordon was still obsessing over Harry Potter's girlfriend. He knocked hesitantly.

Gordon had been intently rifling through some books he'd found at that rare book store in Knockturn Alley. He felt he was really getting close to finding the exact place to perform the spell to bind Hermione to him forever. The last thing he needed was an interruption. At first he ignored the knocking, hoping that whoever it was would get the hint and leave.

"I'm really busy," Gordon called out. "Whatever you have for me, just leave it at the door."

"Gordon it's Andrew!" the reporter called. "Come on, let me in..."

Gordon looked around at his flat. It was a complete mess. He'd spent every waking hour looking for answers on this spell and the state of his flat showed this in spades. He didn't bother trying to tidy up before answering the door. He didn't have time for it or for Andrew Murphy.

"What do you want?" Gordon asked angrily after he opened the door.

"Nice way to greet your friends," Andrew replied. "I just wanted to stop by and say..." his eyes moved around the flat. "What are you doing?"

"Studying," Gordon said dismissively. "As you can see, I'm really quite busy..."

Andrew stared at him. "You're still obsessed aren't you?" his reporter's instincts kicked in. "You're still lusting after that girl that doesn't want you back!"

"You don't know what you're talking about," Gordon said. "She's in love with me."

Andrew shook his head, wondering why he even bothered. "Don't you see what you're doing to yourself?" he asked, pushing his way into the flat. "Gordon this is ridiculous!"

"She's my girl, Andrew," Gordon said, moving some books out of the way so he could sit on the sofa. A gleam came into his eye as he thought of Hermione. "She's going to be with me forever."

Andrew shook his head. "I don't know why I came. I thought you'd just have been going through some strange phase. You aren't going to break them up Gordon!"

"Not yet," Gordon said with a laugh. "But their relationship isn't as strong as everyone thinks it is. She believes in me, Andrew. She trusts me. Bless her naive little heart."

Real fear coursed through him as Gordon reached for a picture. "I may not be the most moral person in the world but there's no way I'm letting you do this," he said, his voice shaking. "Gordon-"

"Let me do it?" Gordon asked, looking at Hermione's photograph and using his finger to trace along her delicate features. "You're not going to let me do it? My dear friend, you have no say in it whatsoever."

"I can tell them what you're up to," Andrew replied hotly.

"I don't see how you can do that," Gordon said menacingly, getting to his feet, his wand gripped tightly in his hand.

"How do you plan on stopping me?" Andrew asked boldly.

Gordon looked thoughtfully at his friend as he stepped closer to him. "Surely you remember those spells we learned back at school, don't you? Some of them can inflict quite a bit of pain. Don't you remember, Andrew?"

"You... you wouldn't..." Andrew backed up against the wall.

"Oh, but I would," Gordon said with a glare at his friend. "I'd do anything to protect what I have with Hermione."

"You don't have anything with her!" Andrew didn't realise just what a mess he was walking into as he edged away towards the doorframe. "She's with Harry Potter! She's not with you! If she loved you then she'd be here right now and not with him!"

"SHUT UP!" Gordon shouted at him. "SHUT UP! SHE LOVES ME! SHE DOESN'T LOVE HIM! SHE LOVES ME!"

Gordon's fist smashed into the wall where Andrew's head had been just a split moment before. Andrew turned and ran down the narrow corridor as Gordon thundered behind him. He ducked into the first room he could and slammed the door behind him, struggling to lock it. "FUCK YOU GORDON!" he shouted, frantically digging into his robes for his own wand. He backed further into the room and nearly tripped over a pile of clothing on the floor.

He looked around the room in horror, realising what its purpose was.

Gordon laughed as he opened the door. "You think a lock can keep me out?" He watched the panic-stricken look on his friend's face, and let out another cold laugh. "This is Hermione's room," he said with a softer tone. "I've brought her things here piece by piece. Do you think she'll like it?"

"You're mad," Andrew whispered. "You've gone completely mad!"

"You're just like my parents," Gordon said sadly. "They thought the same about me, too..."

"What do you mean?" Andrew asked despite his now precarious situation.

"They thought I was mad, too," Gordon said, shutting the door calmly behind him. "They wanted to take me away. They thought I was a danger to myself...they said I hurt people. But, they were wrong. I was provoked." Andrew inched away from his friend as he listened to him speak. Gordon, however, stood in front of the door, a serious expression on his face.

"And they said I needed help," Gordon continued. "But I didn't need help. I needed to be left alone. Why couldn't they have left me alone?"

"You DO need help," Andrew said. "Damn it Gordon... this isn't healthy!"

"I need Hermione," Gordon said in a whisper. "She's all that I've ever needed. And you're just in the way. You want to keep her from me...just like my parents. Just like Potter. You want to keep her from me!"

"I don't want to keep her from you!" Andrew shook his head wildly.

"Yes, you do," Gordon said, stepping closer to his friend. "You want to tell them what I've done. But, I can't let you, Andrew."

"Tell who?" Andrew kept inching back. "I won't tell anyone! I don't even KNOW your parents Gordon! And Harry Potter probably wouldn't see me even if I begged..." he was growing frantic.

"I can't take that chance," Gordon said, pointing his wand at Andrew. "You should have just left me alone, Andrew."

"You're right," Andrew replied. "And if you just let me go, I swear I'll never bother you again. I'll forget that I was even here tonight!" he pleaded. "Come on Gordon..."

"No," Gordon said, shaking his head. "I'm sorry, Andrew. But it won't hurt. I promise."

Andrew stared at him, paralyzed by his fear. "What are you going to do?" he whimpered.

"I'm not going to kill you," Gordon said simply.

"What are you going to do?" Andrew asked again, tripping on the edge of the bed and falling hard.

Gordon didn't say anything for what seemed like an eternity to Andrew. When he finally spoke, he had tears in his eyes as he said loud and clear, "OBLIVIATE!"

*** *** ***

A few days later, Hermione was holed up in the bedroom, studying over some charms notes. Harry had started his new training rotation and thankfully, this seemed to have taken his mind away from Gordon and those lies Skylar tried to spread about Gordon. Unfortunately, there seemed to be a distance between her and Harry lately and Hermione hated it. She wished they could talk about this, but one or both of them always ended up angry when talk turned to Gordon.

She closed her book and was about to set it on the bedside table when she saw today's edition of the Daily Prophet. The front page story was about one of their reporters who'd vanished without a trace a few days ago. Foul play was suspected and the paper warned its readers to be on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary.

"Harry will probably want to see this," Hermione said. She was still clad in her pyjamas and didn't bother with her dressing gown because she knew Harry was alone. Or at least she thought he was. As she reached the stairs, she heard him talking.

"I still have nightmares about that night," Harry said to the head of Remus Lupin that was currently floating in their fireplace. "It's like... for awhile there I thought I was fine. Ever since I met Hermione, Voldemort seemed to be a distant memory, but now I'm dreaming about it again."

"Harry that's understandable. It was almost two years ago now at this time that you finished him off," Lupin was explaining. "It's probably the time of the year where your subconscious lets some of those details slip back through."

Hermione froze on the top stair. She hesitated for a moment. This wasn't something she should be eavesdropping on and she had a feeling Harry wouldn't appreciate it if he knew she was lurking on the stairs like this, but she wanted to know what had been bothering him. What hurt, though, was that he was able to talk about it with Lupin without any problem, but he couldn't talk to her.

"So you think they'll go away?" Harry was asking now.

"Of course they will," Lupin replied. "They always do."

Hermione could barely hear them and she decided to step down further. Unfortunately, she forgot about that middle stair that always seemed to creak.

Harry heard her and straightened up. "So can you tell me what our first session will be like?" he asked in a louder voice as he saw his girlfriend descending the stairs.

"That would spoil the surprise," Lupin said with a laugh.

Hermione clutched the newspaper to her chest. "Hello, Mr. Lupin," she said with a forced smile. "I don't mean to intrude. I heard voices."

"Quite all right my dear," Lupin smiled at the young woman. "And please, call me Remus. Mr. Lupin makes me sound old."

"You are old," Harry grinned at him.

Hermione gave a half smile. "I'll try and remember that Mi...I mean Remus."

"What are you up to?" Harry asked her as Remus bid them goodbye and disappeared from the fire.

She stared at him for a few moments before answering. "Studying...If I had known you were talking to Remus..."

"It's okay," he replied. "Nothing serious, just talking about training."

Hermione sat down beside him on the sofa. She watched as he picked up his coffee mug and took a sip. "Harry?" she asked uncertainly.

"Hmm?" he asked absently.

"I wasn't eavesdropping or anything," she said, fumbling with a stray fabric on one of the throw pillows. "But, I heard a little of what you were saying. Why didn't you tell me you were still having those dreams?"

Harry looked properly at her. "They're not that bad," he lied. "I don't want to bore you with details."

Hermione bit her bottom lip. "But you wouldn't bore me, Harry. I want to hear about it. I want to try and help you if I can."

"I don't need help!" Harry interrupted her.

Hermione touched his arm. "I don't want to upset you, Harry."

"You're not," Harry replied, only slightly unconvincingly.

"I just wanted you to know that if you ever need to talk to me, I'm here," she said softly. "If something was troubling me, you'd be the first person I'd go to. And I hope you feel the same way about me."

"I do," Harry assured her. "Hermione trust me when I say everything's fine." he stroked her cheek gently.

Hermione wanted to say that she knew he was lying. She wanted to tell him that he obviously didn't know that he could talk to her about this. "Things haven't been okay," she finally said weakly. "We've barely spoken the last couple of days and I feel like there's a distance between us and I don't like feeling that way."

Harry felt horrible as he looked at her. "Hermione..." He began. "We've both been busy..." he pulled her close. "I'm starting a new session and you're finishing up a term."

"I know," she said, as a tear fell down her cheek. "But it's more than that, isn't it?"

"Sweetheart," Harry felt genuinely alarmed. "There's nothing pushing us apart here."

"I want to believe you," she said softly. She pressed her cheek to his chest as his arms wrapped tightly around her and pulled her close.

"Why don't you believe me?" he asked.

"I just feel like there's a part of you that you haven't shared with me," she whispered. "And I don't understand why."

Harry was silent, knowing she spoke the truth. He had his own reasons for not wanting to tell her about what happened with Voldemort. "I've shared every part of myself that I can share," he chose his words carefully.

She lifted her head and looked at him. "What does that mean?" she asked gently.

Harry exhaled. "There are parts of my life that I would really rather not disclose. Honestly Hermione, you would hate me if you knew what I was truly capable of all right?"

Hermione's mouth fell open. "Harry...I could never hate you. There's nothing you could say or do that would ever make me hate you. I love you."

"I know," Harry replied, still holding her close. "I just... there are very few people in the world who would understand that part of me. I don't want to burden you."

"But you wouldn't burden me," she said. "I know I can't say I know what it was like or what you went through, but if I could help you..." He didn't say anything. She looked into his green eyes. "Look, I know you're not ready to tell me yet. I get that. I just hope that one day you will be ready to share that with me..."

"Someday," Harry relented. "Just... please let it be in my own time all right Hermione?"

She nodded. "Okay."

Harry kissed her. "I love you," he caressed her cheek with his thumbs. "More than anything. Don't ever think I could love you less all right?"

"I know," she whispered. She wondered if he knew how much it hurt her that he didn't feel as if he could tell her this. But, she didn't want to push the issue. She didn't like fighting with him. "I love you, too."

*** *** ***

It was a few days later; Harry and Hermione had gone to Robert and Elinore's for dinner. Currently, Hermione was helping her mother and Lavender with the dishes while Harry, Robert and Seamus were in the living room talking.

"And after that, Madam Malkin decided she wanted to be my sponsor ALONG with Veronica Fox!" Lavender was bubbling with excitement.

"That's wonderful dear," Elinore was proud of her niece. "Hermione can you pass me that serving dish?" she asked her daughter.

"Hmmm?" Hermione asked when she felt her mother staring at her expectantly.

"That serving dish?" Elinore asked again. "Are you all right love?" she looked at her with concern.

"You've been awfully quiet tonight," Lavender tossed her blonde hair over her shoulder.

Hermione handed her mother the serving dish. Leaning back against the counter, she shrugged her shoulders. "I'm okay," she said softly.

Lavender was still looking at her suspiciously. "Did you and Harry have a row or something?"

"Not really a row," Hermione answered with a sigh. "To have a row, you'd have to talk and we haven't done much of that lately. Well, that's not entirely true. We've talked about how the weather is and how our days were. It's like we're mates instead of..." her voice trailed off as she looked at her mother. "You know..."

Lavender put down the glass she was drying. "What haven't you guys been talking about?" Elinore also turned away from the sink.

"He's keeping things from me," Hermione said, keeping her voice down.

"Like what?" Elinore slid an arm around her daughter.

Hermione felt tears welling up in her eyes. "He's having nightmares...nearly every night now. I try and help him and he snaps at me that he's okay and that I should leave him alone about it."

"What are the nightmares about?" Lavender asked. "Are they about..."

Hermione nodded. "The other day I overheard him talking to Lupin about it. When I arrived, he clammed up and tried to play it off. I couldn't help it. I asked him why he hadn't told me about it."

"Who is this Harry's having nightmares about?" Elinore was confused.

"Voldemort," Hermione replied. "I told you about him, Mum."

"He was the horrible wizard trying to take over everything?" Elinore asked.

Hermione nodded. "Yes. Apparently, he's not had these dreams in some time, but they've started back again."

"I wonder why," Lavender mused. "I mean... it was almost two years ago that You Know Who was defeated."

"That's what I want to know," Hermione said sadly. "But he won't tell me. He said that there are parts of himself that he isn't ready to share with anyone. But I'm not just anyone, am I? We're in love. He should feel like he could tell me anything."

Elinore squeezed her daughter's hand. "Sweetheart... sometimes with men, they like to keep things to themselves. When your father and I got together there were loads that I didn't know about him until even a couple of years after we were together. In the scheme of things, you and Harry haven't been together that long."

"Right," Lavender agreed gently. "I'm sure when he's ready, he'll tell you. What Harry had to do... with You Know Who... I'm sure it took a lot out of him. And maybe he's not even completely dealt with it himself yet, who knows?"

"I know," Hermione said with a slight smile. "And logically, I know you're right. It still hurts, though."

"I know it does," Elinore replied soothingly. "But I'm sure he'll tell you everything you want to know sooner or later."

"I hope you're right, Mum," Hermione said, giving her mother a big hug. "You always do know the right thing to say."

Elinore laughed. "That's my job as a mother," she joked.

"And as an aunt," Lavender chimed in.

"Of course," she hugged her niece to her. "I love you both and I want you always to know you can come to me with any problems."

"You may live to eat those words," Lavender teased. All three of the women jumped as they heard yells and shouts coming from the living room.

"How can they watch that rubbish?" Lavender said, shaking her hand. "Honestly, all those blokes do is run around a field and kick a football!"

"And the guys seem to love it," Hermione laughed. "I don't understand it myself."

"Robert can sit in front of the telly for hours watching it and screaming at the top of his lungs," Elinore said with a laugh.

"Seamus would rather watch movies for the most part," Lavender said. "Guess that means I lucked out... for the most part. When he's with other blokes like he is now he likes to watch the games."

"At least you didn't make the mistake of going to a Quidditch match with Ron and Harry," Hermione related to them. "They never said word one to me the entire time and nearly left me in the stands when the game was over. This was, of course, right after Ron spilled his ale all over me."

"Yuck," Lavender made a face. "When on earth did you go to a Quidditch game?"

"It wasn't by choice," Hermione said laughing. "Harry wanted to see his friend Oliver play and asked me if I wanted to come along. I wanted to see what the fuss was about. Big mistake on my part."

"What is this... Quidditch?" Elinore asked.

"Sort of like basketball with brooms," Lavender said trying to put it into terms that her aunt would understand.

"All right," Elinore still looked slightly confused. "Well... I'm sure it's not very interesting to someone who doesn't even like rugby," she smiled.

"It's not," Hermione said. "But I tried to make an effort to understand it since Harry likes it so much. At least he hasn't mentioned trying to get me on a broom again. He thinks I'm mad because I don't like to fly."

"Flying is fun," Lavender protested.

"No, it's not," Hermione said firmly. "I prefer my feet on the ground, thanks very much."

"I have a feeling Harry will get you on a broom sooner or later," Lavender teased. "Seamus told me Harry loves flying and was out on his Firebolt all the time back at Hogwarts."

"He does love it," Hermione said, nodding. "And he's great at it. But, that doesn't mean you're going to see me on a broom anytime soon."

Lavender only shook her head as another loud yell was heard from the living room. "Merlin are they going to keep at this all night?"

"We just might," Harry said, coming into the kitchen.

"What are you watching?" Hermione asked. "You three nearly scared the daylights out of us by screaming just a few minutes ago."

"Football," Harry said as if the answer should have been obvious. "Dr. Granger? Do you have any popcorn?"

"I believe we do, somewhere around here," Elinore got up and began rooting around in the cupboard.

"I have to get back home soon, I have a bit more studying to do," Hermione said, looking at Harry.

"Oh?" Harry asked her. "I thought you were finished?"

"I have another exam tomorrow morning," Hermione replied. "I told you that this afternoon."

Harry pulled an apologetic face. "I'm sorry, Hermione. It must have slipped my mind. Whenever you're ready to go, we can."

"We can stick around for a little while longer if you want," Hermione said. "I just have to get back early enough that I can get more studying in."

"Found some popcorn," Elinore said, popping a bag into the microwave.

"Great," Harry said, giving her a warm smile. He turned his attention back to Hermione. "Is everything okay? You've been a little quiet tonight."

"I'm fine," Hermione said. "Just tired from studying is all." she hated herself for the uncomfortable way she was feeling.

"You're working too hard," Harry said, putting an arm around her.

"It's just one more day," Hermione pulled away from him. "I'll help with the rest of those dishes Mum," she went over to the sink.

Lavender watched as Harry stared at Hermione. She wanted to shake him and tell him to talk to her cousin, but she knew the two of them, stubborn to a fault. When the microwave timer went off, Lavender opened it up and poured the bag into a large bowl.

"Harry?" she asked, hoping to change the subject. "Did you see that article in the newspaper about that missing reporter?"

"Yeah," he replied, tearing his eyes away from his girlfriend. "It's pretty scary. I told Ron to make sure Luna is careful even though she's mostly in Boston these days and not working here."

"Any ideas as to what happened?" Lavender asked.

Harry shook his head. "I can't figure it out. This Andrew Murphy was a Daily Prophet reporter, never had much on the mainstream, he was mostly a copy editor from what I heard." he shrugged. "I've no idea what made him stand out."

"He's our age, too, isn't he?" Lavender asked conversationally. "I wonder what school he went to. He didn't go to Hogwarts with you, did he?"

"Not that I know of," Harry replied.

"Somebody in one of my classes mentioned she knew him from Durmstrang," Hermione said looking over her shoulder at Harry.

"Durmstrang?" Harry replied. "Interesting. Wonder what made him come down to London..."

"It's not that uncommon," Hermione said. "Loads of students from here have studied at Durmstrang."

"Oh," Harry replied.

"I wouldn't have gone there," Lavender said grimacing. "That school gives me the creeps."

"Why's that?" Harry asked.

"It's known for teaching Dark Magic, isn't it?" Lavender asked him. "Madam Maxime told us all about it."

"I guess... I knew a few blokes that went there and they were fine," Harry shifted. "I've seen enough of the Dark Arts in my time," he muttered.

Hermione slammed a pot down hard on the countertop at Harry's last sentence. Both her mother and cousin jumped. "I, um, think I should get back to the cottage," Hermione said quickly. She could feel the tears welling up in her eyes and she didn't want to cry in front of Harry. "Um, thanks Mum. I'll see you later, Lav." She breezed past a confused Harry.

"What's going on?" Harry asked confounded.

"Nothing." she said tersely as she went into the foyer to grab her cloak and bag. "I just need to get home. Stay as long as you want. Don't mind me."

"Hermione..." Harry was treated to the front door slamming in his face.

Hermione was nearly down the path when she heard his footsteps behind her. "Leave me alone, Harry."

"No way," Harry replied. "You're going to tell me why you just ran out of your parents' house in tears!"

"You have to ask that?" she asked incredulously. "You had another nightmare last night. If you think I didn't hear you, you're mistaken. But, I pretended I was asleep because I knew if I asked if you were okay, you'd have bitten my head off."

Harry sighed. "Is that what this is all about?" he asked.

"Yes, that's what this is all about!" she exclaimed.

Harry opened his mouth to say something when he noticed a neighbour peeking out her window. "Come on, let's go home... seems we've got an audience here," he muttered.

"Fine," Hermione said curtly.

They were silent until they reached their cottage. Harry was hanging up his cloak as Hermione tossed her bag in the corner. "Why do you want to know about my nightmares?" he asked.

"Why wouldn't I want to know about them?" she asked him, folding her arms. "How would you feel if I woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, shaking because of a bad dream I'd had. And when you asked me if I was alright, I just brushed you off?"

"I don't mean to brush you off," Harry replied. "Those stupid dreams bring me back to a period in my life that I'd like to forget, not rehash. That's why I don't want to talk about them."

She ran a hand through her hair. "I'm trying to understand that. I really am. It's just..."

"No one can understand it all right?" Harry tried not to sound frustrated. "I'm not trying to push you away or snap at you when you ask me if I'm okay. I just don't want to go back to that place in time."

"But I'd like to try and understand," she said, her tone softer. "We're living in the same house and we're breathing the same air, but we're worlds apart right now, Harry. You haven't touched me in days."

Harry sighed as he stared down at his shoes. "I'm sorry," he finally said. "We've both been busy and it's really taken a toll on our relationship hasn't it?"

"That's the understatement of the year," she said with a sigh.

"Well..." Harry reached for her hand. "What do we do? Where do we go?"

"I don't know," she said sadly.

Harry pulled her close. "What do you want me to do?" he asked.

"Love me," she said simply. "Trust me."

"I do," Harry said. "Both of those... I trust you more than anyone else Hermione."

She opened her mouth to say that if that was true, he'd tell her, but he'd already said he wasn't ready to rehash that part of his life. As much as she didn't want to, she had to accept that. "I love you so much, Harry."

"I love you too," Harry nuzzled her neck as she wrapped her arms around him. "I really don't know what I'd do if I ever lost you."

"You won't," she whispered. "It's never going to be easy for us, is it?"

"I don't know," Harry replied. "Look," he pulled away a little. "This thing... with the dreams and with Voldemort... I promise one day to tell you everything you want to know. I just..." he looked away. "There are things I had to do during that time that I haven't even dealt with yet. And I can't go about telling you about them when I haven't even..."

"Haven't even what?" she asked gently.

"Haven't even figured it out," Harry replied.

"It's okay," she whispered, putting a hand on his cheek. "Its okay, Harry." She pressed her lips gently to his.

"Thank you," He replied before kissing her harder.

When they broke apart, she rested her forehead on his. All thoughts of her exam tomorrow flew from her mind as she savoured the feeling of being close to him again. "Do you want to go upstairs?" she whispered.

"Of course I do," Harry replied. "What about your studying..." his voice trailed off as Hermione attached her mouth to his neck.

"I'll wake up early tomorrow and study," she said between kisses. "But I could care less about studying right now."

Harry scooped her up in his arms. "Then by all means," he said huskily. "Don't let me stop you..."