Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Here you all are, another chapter of this story. Just so y'all know, we are just starting on chapter 44, and estimate it will go for another 2-3 chapters. So everything's STILL just getting heated up ;) And yes, it may seem like it's moving slow, but with focusing on all the couples, it takes more time to get to the end.

A lot of you were unsure how to pronounce Chiaki, it's said like chee-ah-kee. We DID name her after Chiaki Kuriyama who is one of the coolest Japanese actresses out there. If you're not sure who she is, check her out in Kill Bill Vol 1, Battle Royale, or Ju-on (not The Grudge). The name breaks down to mean 'independent (Chi) autumn (aki)'.

We see a return of good ol' Gran Longbottom in this chapter as well as Ron's feeling on Luna's possible new job. So please read, enjoy and of course, review ;)

Ron spent his afternoon pulling golden feathers out of his hair, cursing his brothers over their latest invention. His mind was occupied with the fact that his girlfriend was currently sitting with the heads of the American newspaper that had run the article she'd written on Harry and Hermione.

It had been a large hit with the American audience and Luna was quite literally reaping the benefits. More papers had nabbed the article, but the biggest had been the original- a wizarding paper run out of Boston.

"If she doesn't come by, I'll go over there," Ron pulled another gold feather out of his hair, tossing it aside. Why wouldn't Luna come by, he reasoned with a nervous laugh. Even if Michael was getting the same benefits as her, it wouldn't be a reason for her to leave him.

Luna literally ran the entire distance from The Quibbler office to the joke shop. She'd been so excited she'd forgotten her cloak and although the weather was quite cold, she didn't feel it. She was warmed by her happiness and the exhilaration she felt from her impromptu run. She'd just received the greatest news of her professional career and she could hardly wait to share it with the most important person in her life.

As she turned the last corner onto the street the shop was on, she nearly knocked down two wizards who cursed after her, but she didn't even stop. When she finally made it to the shop, she swung open the door. Clutching her side, she struggled to catch her breath as her bewildered boyfriend stared at her from the counter.

"Are you alright?" Ron stared at her, his eyes wide.

Luna gasped, but smiled. She held up her index finger to indicate to him she needed to catch her breath.

"Fan-tastic news," she said breathlessly. A confused expression came over her face. "W-what h-happened to your hair?"

Ron reached up with a groan and extracted several more feathers. "Don't ask me, ask Fred and George," he said sourly. "Experiment gone wrong..."

Luna's breathing returned to normal and she leaned against the counter. "You'll never guess what happened," she said with her eyes twinkling

"I've been hoping you would stop by after your meeting," Ron pulled her back behind the counter.

"I came here straightaway when it was finished," Luna said. "I didn't even bother with my cloak, I just had to come and tell you."

"What?" Ron grinned as she laughed and plucked another feather out of his ginger red hair.

"Well," she began. "The meeting was in my dad's office. It was my dad, Michael, me and two of the managing editors for that American paper. Ron, they were so nice and complimentary. They were literally gushing over what Michael and I did with the Harry and Hermione article. Did you know it was their best seller in over 20 years?"

"That's fantastic!" Ron was delighted.

Luna nodded. "You wouldn't think it could get better, but it did. They invited Michael and I over there for a few weeks at the end of next month. He and I will be doing some freelance for their paper as well as some of the smaller papers in the eastern part of the States. And, get this...if they like what we do, they might hire us permanently!"

She whooped excitedly and threw herself into Ron's arms. "I can't believe this is all happening so fast!"

Ron held the smile firmly in place but his heart skipped a beat. "Hire you permanently?" he asked, holding her close so she couldn't see his face.

"Yeah, can you believe it?" she asked excitedly into his shoulder. "I mean, I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, because for all I know, I could fall flat on my face in America, but how could you not get excited over something like this?"

Ron forced the lump in his throat down. "You're right, this is absolutely fantastic!" he pretended to be happy, and couldn't help a slight twinge of excitement when he saw her blue eyes twinkling. "Guess... I guess we'd better put the flat plans on hold then aye?"

Luna's smile faltered somewhat. "No," she said shaking her head. "Even if I get a job in America, I can just work during the weekdays and commute home every few evenings. What good is being magical if you can't use it to your advantage, right?"

"Right," Ron brushed a few loose strands of hair out of her eyes and kissed her gently.

She smiled sweetly at him. "Ron, we'll make it work. We've come through too much to let something like this derail our plans, right? Which reminds me, did you still want to go and check out those places you were telling me about?"

"We can do that next weekend," Ron replied. "This weekend you and I have a date in Brighton, remember?"

Luna frowned. "That was this weekend?"

"Yeah," Ron said. "We rang the place and told them to expect us, remember?"

"Oh no," Luna said, putting her head in her hands. "I completely forgot! It's just...the editors wanted to bring Michael and I in to Boston this weekend to get a feel for the place. But, I could reschedule..."

"No... We can reschedule," Ron replied, the tightening in his chest starting up again.

"Are you sure?" Luna asked. "Ron, I'm so sorry. In all the excitement from the interview, it just slipped my mind."

"This is your career we're talking about," Ron said, forcing a smile on his face.

Luna kissed him. "You are absolutely the best boyfriend on the planet! And I promise to bring you back something great from Boston."

This time Ron's smile was genuine. "Hang on a second," he said, pulling away from her and running to the door. He turned the sign over so it said they were closed and sprinted back to the counter. "The back room is currently unoccupied," he said suggestively.

"I see that," she said with a sly smile. "It'd be a shame for it to go to waste, wouldn't it?"

"Quite," Ron pulled her back, his mouth affixing firmly to hers as the door banged shut behind them.

*** *** ***

Cho patted Chiaki's back. Her baby had just been fed and they were now in the midst of an ever so lovely burp session.

She felt sorry for her husband- Neville had gotten up last night to sit with Chiaki as she cried and as a result had not gotten much sleep. Yet he'd dragged himself out of bed that morning for training and wasn't due back until later that evening.

A knock at the door startled her and she groaned as she got up, Chiaki still sitting over her shoulder as she went down the small hallway.

When Cho opened the door, she saw a rather tall, slim blonde woman standing on her doorstep. She looked disdainfully at Cho. Her eyes fell on the baby in Cho's arms and she gave Cho an icy stare.

"You're her?" the woman finally asked with her nose scrunched up in a look of what could only be described as disgust.

"Can I help you?" Cho asked, turning so Chiaki was facing away from the woman.

"Draco told me once that you were quite a beauty," the woman said, giving Cho an appraising look. It hit Cho suddenly who this woman was, but what she didn't know was why she was here.

Cho really didn't know what to say. "You're Malfoy's mother," she stated coolly. "I suppose you came by to meet your granddaughter, although technically she's not YOUR granddaughter since Malfoy signed the adoption papers."

"My granddaughter?" Narcissa said, shaking her head. "My dear girl, I have no doubt that brat isn't of any relation to me."

Cho narrowed her eyes. "As pleasant as this conversation is, or could be... is there something I can help you with before you leave?" her voice became colder.

"I came by here to assure you that I don't care what lies you told my son that under no circumstances will we give you any money for her care or support," Narcissa said, folding her arms. "And don't think of going to the papers about this..."

"Why on earth would I?" Cho asked. "Merlin, she's not even Draco's anymore- he has no legal rights to her whatsoever. He signed them all away so don't YOU even think of coming after us." she held Chiaki protectively to her as if Narcissa had demanded to be given the baby.

"Don't think I don't know what you are," Narcissa said disdainfully. "Harry Potter's best friend, isn't that right? That lovely story in the newspaper sounded so heartbreakingly sweet when it talked about him caring so much for you. I bet that brat is his and the two of you came up with this plan to get back at my family. My husband may be in Azkaban now, but he still knows what goes on...."

"Good for him," Cho snapped. "Your husband was put in Azkaban because he was You Know Who's follower and because he's a rotten wizard, not because he did nothing wrong. He got caught doing business with dark wizards, so he's where he deserves to be." She glared more fiercely at the blonde. "And I bet you just loved thinking that Chiaki is Harry's. I'll bet you were the one who fed the Daily Prophet all those lies in trying to make Harry look bad. Sorry, didn't work."

"I assure you I have better things to do with my time than help the Daily Prophet," Narcissa said icily. "No, it wasn't me, Miss Chang, but whoever it was deserves a medal. It's not too many people who can make your hero look bad, is it?"

Chiaki started to cry in Cho's arms as Narcissa spoke and it obviously infuriated her. "Can't you control her?" Narcissa asked crossly. "Some mother you'll be..."

"I'll have you not talk to my granddaughter-in-law like that!" a voice said from behind Narcissa.

Cho stared in astonishment as Neville's Gran stepped up behind Narcissa. "Mrs. Longbottom," she said in surprise.

Mrs. Longbottom eyed Narcissa up and down. She'd heard every word of Narcissa and Cho's conversation and she'd debated whether or not she should just leave unnoticed, but hearing Narcissa Malfoy say what she was saying had been the last straw.

"YOU have no place here," Mrs. Longbottom said dismissively to Narcissa. "My great-granddaughter is clearly upset by your being here. I'd appreciate it -- as I know Cho would --if you'd just leave."

"Yes, please leave." Cho recovered from her shock. "And I definitely would appreciate it if you would kindly never come back. I don't want Draco Malfoy in my life any more than you want me in yours."


"As if I would want to come back to this...hovel," Narcissa said disdainfully. "Good day, Miss Chang."

Narcissa started to walk away, but Mrs. Longbottom called out to her. "She is a member of the Longbottom family, Mrs. Malfoy. You'd do well to remember that."

Narcissa stopped in her tracks, but didn't turn around. After a few moments, she walked down the corridor and out of sight.

Cho stared at Neville's Gran for a few moments. "Um... why don't you come in," she stepped aside and held the door open.

Mrs. Longbottom nodded and walked inside the apartment. She looked around the living room, but her expression gave nothing away. Chiaki's crying had subsided and Mrs. Longbottom turned to look at her great-granddaughter.

"What... brings you over?" Cho asked, shifting her daughter to her other shoulder. "Can I get you something to drink or eat?"

"No...Thank you," Mrs. Longbottom said politely. "I was in the neighbourhood visiting some friends and I thought I'd stop by..."

Cho nodded. "Oh!" she came forward. "Perhaps you'd like to meet your great granddaughter?" she nestled Chiaki in her arms so Mrs. Longbottom could see her properly.

Mrs. Longbottom didn't say anything for awhile. She just looked down at the baby. "She's..." Mrs. Longbottom said, but her voice trailed off. "She's...a beautiful child."

"Thank you," Cho replied nervously. "You should see Neville around her. He loves her so much and he's an amazing father..." she smiled down at her baby.

"I had no doubt he would be," Mrs. Longbottom said quietly. "Frank was a good father, too..."

"I'm sure he was," Cho replied. "I wish Neville had gotten to know him before..."

"As do I," Mrs. Longbottom said, her voice breaking a bit. She wasn't usually one to show her emotions or wear her heart on her sleeve, and the way she was acting now surprised her more than she cared to admit.

"I'm... I'm really glad you came by," Cho sat down in the chair she liked to use when feeding her daughter. "I'm sorry we haven't seen more of one another."

"So am I," Mrs. Longbottom said genuinely. She sat down on the sofa opposite Cho. "I hope that you won't take anything Narcissa Malfoy says to heart. I've known her for years. She's as bad as her husband with that pureblood nonsense. He deserved what he got, I'll tell you that. He deserves worse."

"I agree. I'm glad they all got put in Azkaban for their dealings," Cho said. "And I wouldn't listen to her. Part of me wishes I'd never listened to her son either... but now I've got Chiaki and I wouldn't change that for the world."

Mrs. Longbottom nodded. "Neville loves you very much. I didn't understand that before, but I think I do now. And I know it's a little late, but I'd like to welcome you officially to our family. You and your...Chiaki."

"Thank you," Cho's eyes went glassy but she didn't let her tears fall. "It will mean a lot to Neville to have you in our lives. And to me as well."

"Thank you," Mrs. Longbottom said softly. "I'd like to invite you and Neville and the baby, of course, to dinner sometime. I promise it will be a much nicer affair this time than it was last."

Cho smiled. "We'd love that," she said gladly.

Mrs. Longbottom stood up and gave Cho a slight smile. "I've kept you long enough, my dear. I should be getting back home."

"Stop by anytime you like," Cho said, feeling like a weight had lifted from her shoulders. "I'm home on maternity leave so..."

"If you need any help, my door is always open," Mrs. Longbottom said. "You don't have to see me out. You stay there with your daughter. And please give my best to Neville."

She walked over to where Cho was sitting and caressed the baby's cheek with her finger. "Take care of the little one," Mrs. Longbottom said gently before walking out the door, leaving a surprised Cho in her wake.

Cho sat there for several minutes looking at the door before she gave a little laugh. "Can you believe this Chiaki?" she asked her daughter, who simply yawned in reply.

**** ***** *****

It was days like this that made Harry question why on earth he'd decided on this particular career option. While the incessant teasing and taunting from his classmates and instructors had stopped, the rigorous training had taken its place. They'd been told at the end of today's session that it was just going to get worse.

As he and Neville walked out of the classroom, he sighed. "And just think we get to do it all again tomorrow," Harry said sarcastically to his friend.

"I hate this," Neville muttered. "I got maybe three hours of sleep last night. Chiaki kept waking up."

"Thackeray shouldn't have made such an example of you when you nodded off during that combat spell demonstration," Harry said supportively to his friend. "He's such an arse sometimes."

"Aye, he is." Neville replied. "Can't wait until we get out of this course. I'm considering dropping a few of them and finishing up later."

"You can't be serious," Harry couldn't stop himself from saying. "Neville, I know it's hard now, but if you give up now, you know as well as I do, you'll never get back into it."

"Yeah I know," Neville sighed. "Wishful thinking is all..."

"Besides, if you left, I'd have no one to commiserate with," Harry said, trying to lighten Neville's mood. "I'd have to start hanging out with Megan and she'd just fall in love with me again..."

That thought made Neville chuckle. "I knew you were dying to have Megan back," he teased.

"Yeah, I've missed her so," Harry said dramatically. He looked down at his watch. It was just gone five in the afternoon. He hoped that Hermione and Gordon had finished studying and that the git wouldn't be there when he returned home. After the day he'd had, the last thing he needed to see was Gordon Devereaux making himself comfortable in the cottage.

Neville yawned. "Well... here's to hoping Cho has Chiaki down for a kip, because I need one too." he turned off on the road that would lead him down to his and Cho's flat. "I'll see you tomorrow morning Harry."

"Bright and early," Harry called out to him. A few minutes later, he was standing outside the cottage, trying to dig his keys out from the bottom of his bag. From inside, he could hear the faint sound of music. He hoped that Hermione wasn't in there teaching Gordon how to dance. Shaking the ridiculous notion out of his head, he finally found his keys and unlocked the door.

After taking off his cloak and setting his bag by the door, he walked into the living room to see Hermione...alone...cleaning.

Hermione hummed to herself as she spun around with the feather duster in her hands. She normally wouldn't bother cleaning the Muggle way but she was in a good mood.

Harry stifled a laugh as he watched her move around. He watched her for a few more seconds before calling out, "So this is what you do when I'm not here?"

Hermione yelped in surprise as she turned around to see Harry leaning against the door frame. "How long have you been there?" she asked.

"Long enough," he said with a laugh.

Hermione dropped her feather duster and practically ran at him. "I missed you today," she said, her lips barely a centimetre from his.


"Go a little easy on me today," he said wincing a bit as her arms encircled his neck. He was still sore from the hits he'd taken today. Sore or not, he wasn't going to waste the opportunity to have a snog. Besides, they'd not had a proper goodbye this morning as he'd left for training at daybreak. He kissed her softly and smiled at her. "If you and the feather duster want to be alone, I can always go upstairs..."

"The feather duster is nice, but it's no substitute for you," Hermione replied. "Rough day?" she asked sympathetically. "How's Neville holding up?"

"Worse than me," Harry said, plonking down on the sofa as Hermione went to turn the volume of the stereo down. "Maybe you and I should volunteer for babysitting duty so he and Cho can get some sleep."

"Sure," Hermione answered, sitting next to him. "How was your day besides the rigorous training?"

"There was nothing else to my day besides the bloody training," he said, leaning back on the sofa and closing his eyes. "What about yours? Where's your study buddy?"

"He said he was going out with Skylar tonight," Hermione answered, running her hands through Harry's inky black hair. "We met early this morning so I could copy his notes from those days I missed."

Harry was surprised that Gordon was still dating Skylar. He figured that after how Gordon had treated the girl at the wedding, that relationship wouldn't have legs. Truth be told, Harry couldn't care less as long as it kept Gordon from thinking anything romantic would develop with Hermione.

"So did you miss much?" he asked. He still felt bad that she'd had to skive off her classes mainly because of him.

"Not really," Hermione said, still running her fingers through his hair. "I don't care if I did." she added, much to his surprise.

Harry opened his eyes and looked at her properly. "Am I in some parallel universe?" he asked, looking at her with a raised eyebrow. "I know I didn't hear Hermione Jane Granger say those words."

"Shut it you," she said affectionately. "I've just decided... well... you're far more important to me than my marks." her hands slipped down to cup his face.

"It must be love," he said softly, leaning in for another kiss.

"Of course it's love silly," Hermione laughed as Harry pulled her over onto his lap.

"Do you remember what you did for me that day at Neville and Cho's?" he asked her. "Not the telling our intimate secrets part or the huge argument we had, of course, but that massage you gave me? I'd sell my soul for another one of those right about now."

Hermione smiled. "Anything for you," she whispered. "Move down here," she indicated for him to sit closer to the edge of the sofa.

Smiling at her triumphantly, he did as he was told.

Hermione perched herself behind him and placed her hands on his shoulders. "Just relax," she said as she began to knead over his jumper.

"I can do that," he said softly, closing his eyes.


Hermione smiled as she worked her hands over his shoulders, neck and down his back. He would let out sporadic groans, letting her know he was enjoying this. "Does that feel better?" she asked, letting her lips touch his ear.

"Best I've felt all day," he whispered. At her touch, he felt the stress and tension from training seem to evaporate.

Hermione, still rubbing his shoulders, kissed down the side of his neck. "Anything else I can do to make you feel better?" she asked in a rather husky voice.

With one deft movement, he took his arm and pulled her around and kissed her with an intensity that he hadn't thought he could muster with how exhausted he was. But, he had a feeling she knew exactly what she was doing. She had him right where she wanted him.

Hermione grinned devilishly. "Lie down," she commanded, her eyes darkening.

"My, aren't we aggressive this evening," he said with a grin to match her own. He lay back on the sofa and looked expectantly up at Hermione.

Hermione only grinned wider as she pushed up on his jumper, trailing her mouth over his abs. Harry shifted underneath her as she pushed up even more on his jumper. He arched his back and yanked it over his head, tossing it to the floor next to him. "You're not too tired for this," Hermione commented with a teasing smile.

"Oh really?" he asked, but knew that she was right. "How do you know I won't fall asleep on you like you did to me?"

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "You're going to use that against me forever aren't you?"

"No," he said with a smile. "You've more than made up for it since then."

"That's right Potter," Hermione said, running her hands over his bare chest while she straddled his lower half. "So if I hear you talk about that again..."

He cut her off by pulling her up his chest so he could kiss her. "You'll what?" he asked her. When she didn't answer, he kissed her again.

"You're horrid," she breathed when they pulled away. "Snogging me like that when I'm trying to be all in control..."

"You're just as bad," he teased. "Doing what you were doing when you know I'm knackered."

"Hey you asked for a massage," Hermione replied. "So I gave you one... it was YOU that pulled me around and started the snogging."

Harry laughed. "You asked what else you could do to make me feel better. I thought that was a not-so-subtle invitation."

"It was," Hermione replied.

"And now you're trying to turn this around on me?" he asked.

"Harry... just be quiet while you're still ahead," Hermione leaned in and kissed him again, guiding his hands up under her shirt.

He went to say something again, but she put a finger to his lips.

"Shhhh..." she kissed him softly. "You've had a long rough day and I want to take care of you..." she smiled impishly.

"Okay," he said with a wide smile. "But, can we take this upstairs? After you 'take care of me', I don't think I'll be able to move."


Hermione laughed. "Come on," she pushed herself off him and Harry followed suit, linking their fingers together as they ran to their bedroom.


*** *** ***

Neville wearily unlocked the door to their flat. He was tired but was looking forward to seeing his wife and daughter.

His daughter- the thought made a smile appear on his face. He still couldn't believe that he was a father. "Hello?" he called out in a low voice.

Cho tiptoed out of the nursery and put a finger to her lips. "I just put her down," she whispered. She smiled at her husband. "Don't take this the wrong way, but you look really awful."

"I feel really awful," Neville groaned quietly.

"Do you want some tea?" she asked. "I can put the kettle on."

"That sounds fantastic," Neville leaned over to kiss her. "How was your day love?"

"Strange," she said as she walked into the kitchen. Neville followed her and sat down at the table. "Do you want to hear the strange part or the really strange part first?"

"Whichever you like," Neville gave her an odd glance.

Cho looked thoughtful as she filled the kettle with water. "Okay...Narcissa Malfoy showed up at our doorstep this morning," she said simply as she put the kettle on the stove.

Neville blinked. "Draco Malfoy's mother?"

"The one and only," Cho said. "She was really horrid to me and to the baby. She basically accused me of teaming up with Harry to extort money from her and make her family look terrible. Do you know it must run in their family that when something bad happens, you don't take responsibility for your own actions, you look to blame someone else? She's as bad as her son ever was. Worse, if you ask me."

Neville's eyes were narrowed. "I'd like to find her and hex the living daylights out of her for coming here uninvited."

Cho turned around and smiled at her husband. "That's just the thing, Neville. You don't have to do anything. Someone else stepped in and stood up for me."


"Who?" Neville asked.

"Your Gran," Cho answered simply.

Neville's eyes opened wide. "My Gran was here?"

"Yeah," Cho said, still a little in awe of what had happened. "She heard the terrible things Mrs. Malfoy said to me and she jumped in and told her basically to shut it and that I was a member of your family and that Mrs. Malfoy better get used to it."

She saw the stunned expression on Neville's face and she walked over to the table and sat down beside him. "I was really stunned, too."

"Gran, MY Gran, stuck up for you?" Neville asked; a weight lifting off his chest at his wife's words.

Cho nodded. "She even stayed a bit afterwards. We had a lovely chat and she thinks we have a beautiful daughter. And she said that she always knew you'd be a good father."

Neville let out a breath he didn't realise he was holding. "I can't believe she came around like that," he said.

"I'm glad she did," Cho admitted. "I hated to think I was the cause of you losing the only family you really have..."

"Family I really have?" Neville asked. "I have my family right here in this flat right now." he reached over and caressed her cheek softly. "But you're right... my Gran still is important to me- she raised me since I was a baby."

"She...she said that she'd like us to come for dinner sometime soon and she promised it would be much better than the last time," Cho said, tears coming to her eyes at the memory of her conversation with Neville's grandmother and because of what he'd just told her.

"What do you think of all this?" Neville asked softly.

"I'm over the moon about it," Cho said with a smile. "Stunned beyond all belief, but still very happy that she finally came around. How about you?"

"The same," Neville said. "Come here," he pulled her over. "This is the first time I've been able to have you sit on my lap." he smiled up at her.

"Without fear of me breaking your legs?" she asked teasingly.

"Exactly," Neville laughed softly.

"So training was really awful?" she asked, her forehead resting on his.

"Horrible today. Even Harry was knackered when it was over." Neville replied, winding his arms around her.

"Why don't you go and get some rest?" she asked him. "I'll put a warming charm on the tea and you can have it when you wake up. In fact, I might just join you. That daughter of ours sure does have a set of healthy lungs on her."

"Aye, something she must have gotten from Malfoy," Neville smiled to soften his words.

"Well, let's hope that's all she got from him," Cho said, sliding off of his lap. She walked over to the stove and turned the burner off, placing a charm on the kettle with her wand.

"Come on, then," she said, holding out her hand to her husband. "Let's get some sleep while we can."

"Okay," Neville followed her down the small corridor quietly.

They'd just made it past Chiaki's room when the baby started to cry. Both Cho and Neville froze.

"I'll go," Cho said quickly.

"No," Neville said. "I'll go- I haven't seen her all day."


"Yes, but you're more knackered than I am," Cho argued. When she saw him about to counter with his own argument, she smiled. "How about we both go?"

"Okay," Neville grasped her hand as they entered the baby's room. Chiaki's crying grew louder until her father picked her up, holding her gently in his arms. "There's a good girl..." he said soothingly.

"You're the only one she does that for," Cho said, amazed. "You pick her up and she stops crying. I think we just may have a daddy's girl on our hands."

Neville smiled. "Works for me," he laughed as Chiaki made a cooing noise. "You giving your Mum a tough time of things while I'm away?"

Cho laughed and peered over Neville's shoulder at her daughter who looked obliviously up at her parents. "Your Gran was right...you are a great father," Cho said softly.

"And you're a great mother," Neville replied, giving her a soft kiss.

"I don't know about that," Cho said, smiling just the same.

"You are," Neville passed their daughter over to her.

Cho cuddled Chiaki to her chest as she slowly walked over to the rocking chair that Hermione's parents had given them. Cho gingerly sat down and began to rock slowly in the chair as Chiaki's eyes began to slowly close.

Neville couldn't help but smile as he watched the two people he loved most in the world sit together. "See?" he whispered.

"See what?" she whispered back.

"You're doing fine," Neville said even more quietly.

"Sometimes she makes it so easy," Cho said with a smile. "You go on and take a kip. I'll join you in a minute."

"I'll be waiting," Neville pressed a gentle kiss to Chiaki's forehead.

Cho watched as Neville quietly walked out of the room. She continued to gently rock back and forth in the chair, marvelling yet again at how her life had turned out. It certainly wasn't how she planned. But, as she looked down at Chiaki, she knew she wouldn't have had it any other way.

*** *** ***

The following Tuesday evening found Ron absolutely miserable. He and Luna were on a sort of "double date" with Harry and Hermione. It was a last minute thing thrown together by Hermione. He'd wanted some time alone with Luna since he hadn't seen much of her the past few days, but he felt he couldn't say no to their friends or risk looking like a spoilsport.

Though, to the outside observer, they probably would have thought he was happy as a clam. As he listened to Luna relate to Harry and Hermione her weekend adventure in Boston with Michael and the American editors, he plastered a smile on his face. He nodded in the appropriate places and even contributed a comment here and there.

He felt terrible for feeling this way. Here, he and Luna were, closer than ever, and he felt as if they were going to drift apart at any second. And he felt helpless to do anything about it.

"That sounds so exciting, Luna!" Hermione exclaimed. "I'm so happy for you and Michael."

"I keep telling you, it's me who should be thanking you," Luna was nearly bubbling over with happiness. "If it weren't for you asking me to write that article..."

"We asked because we knew you'd do a fabulous job," Hermione interjected.

Harry nodded. "Loony Lovegood, you've made quite a spectacle of yourself," he teased.

Ron picked his menu up and looked over the list of entrees. "So," he said, clearing his throat. "What does everyone feel like?"

Harry looked at the menu. "Want to split a few dishes?" he asked his girlfriend.

"Absolutely," Hermione said. "I haven't eaten since breakfast. I'm famished."

Harry smiled. "Order what you like- I'm not picky," he said. Hermione pecked him on the cheek as she turned to the waitress. His eyes wandered over to Ron, who was staring at the menu with great intensity.

"Looking rather serious there Ron," Harry joked, trying to make his best friend smile.

Ron hadn't heard Harry. It was only when he felt Harry staring at him that he looked over his menu. "I'm sorry...what?"

Harry shook his head. "Nothing," he replied, deciding to wait until he could get Ron alone before asking what was wrong.

After everyone had placed their orders, Hermione peppered Luna with more questions about her trip. Ron suddenly felt angry toward Hermione for steering the conversation back to the one topic he didn't want to talk about.

"So when do you and Michael go back?" Hermione asked Luna.

"In a couple of weeks," Luna replied. "They're going to set us together as a team, to do a few stories for them. And if they like what they see, then we'll be talking contract." she fiddled with her glass of wine. "In all honesty... I want to do this but I feel awful leaving the Quibbler behind."

"But your dad is all for it, though right?" Hermione asked. "I'm sure he'll miss you, of course, but this is the opportunity of a lifetime."

"Oh we both know that," Luna replied. "But I still feel bad..."

Ron couldn't help but smile at the glimmer of hope that Luna might change her mind and decide to stay home. He instantly felt remorseful for thinking this way. Hermione was right. This was the opportunity of a lifetime and Luna would be a fool to pass it up.

"I need to use the loo," Luna said, getting up.

"I'll come with," Hermione said, following suit.

Harry watched her go. "What is it about girls and going to the bathroom together?" he asked shaking his head in amusement before looking back at his friend. "All right, what's going on Ron?"

"Nothing," Ron said evasively before taking a swig of his beer. "Why do you ask?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Ron, I know you pretty damn well, especially after living in a dorm with you at Hogwarts for so long. You're upset about Luna possibly moving over to America aren't you?"

Ron started to respond with his standard reply when people asked him how he felt about Luna's great job opportunity, but he knew Harry wouldn't buy it.


"You don't think she notices, do you?" Ron asked.

"No," Harry replied. "But then again, one can tell she's so excited about this that she wouldn't see you being a prat about it." he gave his friend a level glare. "Why don't you talk to her about it? Especially now that you've told her how you want to move in together and all."

"Yeah, let me just tell her that I think she should chuck the biggest thing to happen to her so she can stay here and play house with me," Ron said sarcastically. "I could pretty much kiss her goodbye if I did that, couldn't I?"

Harry sighed. "This really puts you between a rock and a hard place," he said.

"Yeah," Ron said, looking down at his empty plate. "If something like this happened for Hermione, what would you do?"

Harry raised his eyebrows. "I'm not sure," he admitted.

"Tell me about it," Ron said, leaning back in his chair. "On the one hand, I am happy for her...and proud. She's worked so hard for something like this and deserves it. But, on the other hand, I want her here with me. I know it's selfish, but that's the way I feel."

Harry bit his lower lip. "Have you thought about moving over there with her?"

"Even if I wanted to, I couldn't," Ron answered. "I haven't even told Luna this, but the twins offered me a part of their partnership. I signed the papers this weekend."

"That's great," Harry smiled.

"Yeah," Ron said. He drained his glass. "I've wanted to tell her about it, but she's been talking about Boston this and Boston that since she's been back. This is actually only the second time I've seen her since she's been back."

"Are you serious?" Harry asked. "Her trip was two weeks ago! And I thought you two were going to Brighton?"

"Indefinitely postponed," Ron said glumly. "She's been incredibly busy, as have I, but it just feels as if we're drifting apart and I can't bloody do anything about it!"

"You can do something about it," Harry said. "Talk to her- tell her how you really feel before it DOES push a wedge between you."

Ron opened his mouth to respond, but at that moment Hermione and Luna returned to the table. "What were you two looking so serious about?" Hermione asked, sitting down. "Certainly not Quidditch?"

"The Chudley Cannons," Harry replied, covering fast. "Ron thinks they're going to win."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You're not going to start talking about that Wonky-faint thing again, are you?"

"Wronski Feint," both Harry and Ron corrected her at the same time.

"You know Hermione, if you're going to live with Harry forever and ever, you'd better learn proper Quidditch terminology," Luna teased her.

"I just don't get it," Hermione said, trying not to laugh at the bewildered expressions on both Harry and Ron's faces. It was as if she'd told them that she didn't understand what the big deal was about sex. "It's fine for some people, but I've never been a fan of flying. I like my feet on the ground, thank you very much."

Harry leaned towards her. "I'll bet I could change your mind on that," he said. "One afternoon of flying with me and you'll wonder why you ever hated it."

This time it was Hermione who looked bewilderedly at Harry. "Word of warning, love. The one and only flying lesson I had a Beauxbatons, I threw up on six of my classmates. And I was barely off the ground when it happened."

Harry looked unimpressed. "Rubbish," he said. "How old were you?"


"Eleven," Hermione replied. "Why?"

"That was almost ten years ago," Harry replied. "I remember the first time Ron and I took flying lessons," he sat back and laughed. "He was trying to get his broom to fly into his hand and it flew up and hit him square in the nose."

Hermione and Luna giggled. "Really?" Hermione asked, looking at Ron.

"Must you tell everyone we know about that?" Ron asked, glaring at Harry. Truth be told, he was enjoying himself for the first time that evening. As long as they kept the conversation away from Luna's job opportunity, he knew the evening could be salvaged.

"Of course I have to," Harry replied. "Makes me look more credible."

"Yeah, well as much as I love you, Harry---and I do---there are some things I just won't do and getting back on a broom is one of them," Hermione said.

"We'll see about that," Harry replied. "This discussion is far from over."

"It is," Hermione said sweetly. "And I refuse to change my mind."

Harry smiled. "You're forgetting how persuasive I can be Ms. Granger."

Ron coughed. "And you're both forgetting there are two other people at the table."

"Luna," Hermione said, ignoring Ron's comment. "Has Ron ever taken you flying?"

"Come to think of it..." Luna looked accusingly at her boyfriend. "No, you haven't Ron!"

"You never asked me to!" Ron said defensively. "All you ever had to was ask..."

"Well you could have offered," Luna hid her smile.

"You name the time and place and we'll do it," Ron said, leaning in to peck her on the cheek.

Harry and Hermione exchanged a look. "Now look who's forgetting there are two other people at this table," Hermione said grinning at her two friends.

Luna giggled as Ron nuzzled her neck. If she was truly honest with herself, the Quibbler wasn't the reason she was unsure of taking a job over in Boston. It was because of the redheaded love of her life currently sitting next to her.