Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Hi all, sorry for the late update, but work (for Heaven, in retail) has been crazy due to the holidays and it's left me exhausted and I almost forgot to post tonight *embarrassed* but I have good news- we'll be posting chapter 39 on Friday instead of Saturday.

We also have new artwork, done again by Alexa- she drew the 'cast' of The Time of Their Life for us and she did a fantastic job! When you review, if you can please leave a comment so she knows how much everyone enjoys her work!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/heaven_portkey/timeoftheirlife.jpg

Also- we know everyone loves Gwendy's art- we do too, but Gwendy's a busy girl and can't drop everything to do fanart for us- so please, please keep comments that Gwendy's art is better to yourselves- the both of us take fanart from whoever takes the time to draw it for us, it's ALWAYS appreciated from ANYONE!

Anyways- sorry for the long rambling A/N, hope you all enjoy the chapter and the story is winding up to it's climax so stay tuned!

Luna found a quiet booth in the back of The Leaky Cauldron for her meeting with Harry. She hoped she'd not sounded too cryptic when she'd described what she'd found out about Gordon. Although she had enough on her mind with the Boston job offer, she relished having something to take her mind off of the decision she ultimately would have to make. She also owed it to both Harry and Hermione. They needed to know what they were up against.

Luna smiled as she saw Harry walk into the pub.

"Hey Luna," Harry tossed his cloak onto the bench and sat down across from her.

"Hey," she said. "I'm sorry to have been so vague in my letter, but I didn't want to take the chance on Hermione reading it or worse yet, Gordon. You did say you didn't want her to know you were checking him out, right?"

"I'd tell her if she would listen to me," Harry replied. "She gets mad whenever I try to broach the subject so I thought I'd just get everything I could and then show it all to her."

"I can understand that," Luna said. "Did you want to order something before we get started?"

"No I'm not hungry," Harry replied.

"So do you want the bad news or the worse news first?" she asked.

"Just tell me everything," Harry said, looking at her intently. "I had a run in with him yesterday and I'm itching to put him in his place."

"What happened?" Luna asked.

"He was at the house studying with Hermione and I caught him sneaking upstairs," Harry rolled his eyes. "He said he was going to the loo but he knows where that is by the living room."

"Sort of puts into context what I found out," Luna said, shaking her head. "You're not going to like this at all, Harry."

"Tell me, please." He leaned forward.

"I found out more about what he did to get expelled from Beauxbatons," Luna said. "There was a young girl who was a year under Gordon. She found out he was trying to get the answers to an exam before the test by breaking into a professor's office. When he found out that she'd seen him, he..."

"He what?" Harry asked, his eyes wide.

Luna exhaled. "He performed a memory charm on her to rid her of her memories. But, before he did that, he roughed her up quite a bit to make it seem like something sinister had occurred.

"He hit her?" Harry's eyes grew even wider.

"Yes," Luna said softly. "He broke her nose and jaw."

"Merlin!" Harry gasped.

Luna produced a few sheets of parchment. "These were the reports that were filed at the school. They're in French, but I had a friend translate them for me."

"And his father paid off the girl's family to keep this quiet?" Harry asked, looking at the parchments.

"Yes," Luna said in disbelief. "Can you believe that? How could a parent allow that to happen?"

"I don't know..." Harry shook his head. "If that happened to my daughter I'd kill the bastard."

"I know," Luna said, watching as Harry processed this news. She almost didn't want to tell him what she'd found out next.

"So is that the bad or the worse news?" Harry asked.

"If you can believe it, it's only the bad news," Luna replied. "Are you ready for the other?"

"Yeah," Harry replied. "I think..."

"Um, you remember that reporter from the Daily Prophet who went missing?" she asked.

"Andrew Murphy right?" Harry asked.

Luna nodded. She produced a photo from her bag and slid it across the table to Harry. "That's him on the right and do you recognize the face on the left?"

"Shit..." Harry breathed. "Gordon and this Andrew bloke knew each other?"

"Apparently they were best mates at Durmstrang," Luna explained. "And those articles that were published about you earlier this year? I know there was no by-line, but I have it on good authority that it was Andrew who wrote those articles."

"And he got the information from Gordon," Harry began to piece together the information he was getting. "You know... I accused him of this yesterday but it was a blind accusation... or so I thought."

"Based on what I've learned about Gordon, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he had something to do with Andrew's disappearance, do you?" Luna asked.

Harry paled. "You know... I hadn't thought of that."

"I get chills just thinking about it," Luna said quietly. "I can't even imagine what this is like for you...he's been in your home. He's been alone with Hermione..."

"Damn it," Harry hit the table with his fist.

"What are you going to do?" Luna asked concernedly.

"I don't know," Harry ran his hands through his hair. "She gets mad whenever I try to even approach the subject of Gordon Devereaux. She knows I don't like the bloke but since he's her 'friend'..."

"You have to be nice to him," Luna finished for him. "Hermione can't argue with this evidence, though. And I'm nowhere near completing the research. I'm still trying to find out some things about his parents, but I keep coming up on a dead end with that."

"Okay..." Harry sighed. "I'm going out of town this next week but I'll ask Ron and Seamus to drop in on her and keep an eye out for him. I think he's been sneaking around outside, Lavender and Seamus caught him peeking in our windows one night."

"Ron told me about that," Luna said. "If I wasn't going to Boston tomorrow, I'd offer to stay with her. What about Cho? Have you thought about asking her to stay with Hermione?"

"I brought the subject up to Hermione but she sort of took it the wrong way... plus it'd be hard to have Cho pack up Chiaki and bring everything she needs to the cottage. And she and Neville don't have the room to house Hermione either." Harry sat back, drumming his fingers on the table. "Well... you'll send me anything you can find right?"

"I will," Luna promised. "Everything will work out okay, Harry. She'll see what he's really like. Hopefully it'll be before it's..." When she saw the look on Harry's face, her voice trailed off. "I'm sorry Harry. I didn't mean-"

"I know you didn't, but I can't help but think the same thing." he pulled the research parchments to him. "I should show these to her--"

"When are you going to do that?" Luna asked.

"I should show her now, but with me going out of town... I don't know. I'm all confused now." Harry complained.

"He might try something while you're away," Luna said, hoping that she was wrong, but having a feeling that Gordon might move in for the kill, so to speak. "It might be a good idea to go ahead and let her see what I found out."

"Yeah but what if she tells him off and then he goes after her?" Harry asked. "I won't be here to keep him out."

Luna racked her brain for a possible solution. An idea came to her, but she didn't know how to broach the subject with Harry. "There may be a way that you could...No, it's a stupid idea."

"What?" Harry asked.

"You love Hermione right?" Luna asked him. "You'd do anything to protect her, right? You want to spend the rest of your life with her, don't you?"

"Of course I do," Harry replied.

Luna bit her bottom lip and wondered the best way to say this. "Have you thought of asking her to marry you, Harry? I'm sure you have and you've probably put it off, but maybe if you do this now, it'll say to that Gordon person that she's with you and that's not going to change. Maybe it'll be what finally gets him to see the light."

Harry looked straight at her. "That was another thing I hinted at yesterday only it was a blind threat. But... I guess in the scheme of things I don't really know what we're waiting for. We've both said eventually we want to get married." he coughed. "Think about it... less than a year and I went from a confirmed bachelor to a guy head over heels and ready to be married."

Luna smiled. "What a difference a year has made for all of us." She put a hand on Harry's arm. "And are you...ready to be married?"

"I don't know if it'll be much different than what we're living like now," Harry gave her a half smile.

"She'll have your last name," Luna answered, trying in some way to cheer him up. "Knowing Hermione though, she'd probably hyphenate it or ask you to take her last name."

Harry chuckled. "Don't tell her that, it might give her ideas." he blew out his breath. "Thanks Luna."

"You're welcome," she said, sliding out of the booth after him. "Looks as if you and I are both going to have big decisions to make."

"Any idea yet on if you're going to take that job?" Harry asked as they left the pub.

"Considering that everyone here keeps telling me to do what makes me happy, I still have no idea," Luna said glumly. "My dad says he'll miss me, but that he couldn't be more proud. Ron says he'll support me in whatever I do. I wish someone would just tell me what to do."

"Unfortunately we can't," Harry squeezed her shoulders. "You have to do what makes you happiest."

"You're of no help at all," Luna said, giving him a hug. "But I still love you anyway."

Harry kissed her cheek. "Thanks again for everything you've done so far."

"I wish I could do more," she said. "I'll keep you posted."

"Okay," Harry replied. "Guess this means I'm going ring shopping."

*** *** ***

Lavender snuggled in the crook of Seamus's arm as they lay together on his sofa. They had both been busy over the past few weeks and hadn't been able to spend a lot of time together so she'd jumped at the chance to spend an evening at his flat.

They'd both started the night working on their respective projects- her with some new designs for the shop and him with some plans for his film, which was to be screened very soon to an audience. One thing had led to another and soon they were on the sofa, snogging and now she was lying next to him, their clothes scattered about the floor.

"I've missed that," she nuzzled his ear.

"Have you now?" he asked with a laugh. "This from the girl who cancelled out on me twice last week..."

"I told you that wasn't my fault," Lavender rested her chin on his chest, her long blonde hair spilling over her shoulders. "Besides, you cancelled out on me too!"

"I hope you realize that I would much rather have spent my time with you then that terrible crew of mine," Seamus said, kissing her forehead. "To be fair, they've actually done okay these last few days. No one's managed to break anything or nearly decapitate an actor."

"You'd better knock on wood," Lavender laughed.

"I would," Seamus said, "but I seem to have my hands full at the moment."

"Hmmm that's true..." Lavender kissed him. "And for good reason."

He laughed. "A very good reason." They lay there in silence, both enjoying the feeling of being together like this since it'd been quite some time since they had.

"I know you're a busy up and coming fashion designer, but do you think you could accompany a certain film student to his screening in a couple of weeks?" Seamus finally asked her.

"Hmmm that depends on what's in it for this up and coming fashion designer," Lavender replied cheekily.

"How about her boyfriend's everlasting love and gratitude?" Seamus suggested. "And said film student would really appreciate it if this fashion designer would remember that he went to that party with her and even danced which he doesn't ever do..."

"Right," Lavender interrupted. "Well I'm sure I can go, but remind me a few days before will you?"

"That I will," Seamus said. "Do you think everyone else will go, too? I haven't asked them yet because I know everyone's busy..."

"I'm sure everyone would make time for it," Lavender looked up at him. "This is a pretty big thing for you isn't it?"

"I've sort of given mind, heart and soul to it," Seamus admitted. "I know it's just a student film, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?"

"Of course," Lavender gave him another kiss. "Like I started out as a salesgirl in a robe shop... Luna started as a clerk in her father's office, Ron started out as a salesman in his brother's shop... look at us all know. You're just finally getting there too," she smiled at him.

He kissed her softly. "Who knows? Maybe someday you'll be accompanying me to a big Hollywood premiere and then of course, the Academy Awards. I'm probably getting ahead of myself, eh?"

"Aim high, that's you Seamus Finnigan," Lavender teased.

His stomach growled at that moment and the two of them broke into a fit of laughter.

"Someone's a little hungry," she said. "I suppose we should eat if we ever plan on getting up again."

Seamus frowned. "I don't think I have anything that could be remotely considered edible. I haven't had a chance to run to the shops and unless you fancy some green crisps, we'd better go out."

"Yuck," Lavender made a face as she slid off him. "Then maybe we'd better stock up your icebox as well while we're out."

"Might be a good idea," Seamus said as he scrabbled around the floor for his clothes. He found his trousers beside Lavender's bra. He handed her the bra and with a cheeky grin said, "I believe this is yours..."

"Aye unless you're into wearing those," Lavender snatched it away and put it on.

"Very funny, Miss Brown," he said throwing her blouse at her.

Lavender finished getting dressed and went into the loo to tie her hair back. "When we come back I really need to get a few more designs done," she said. "That sketchpad you gave me is really a huge help."

"I'm glad," he said, as he slipped into his trainers. She came out of the bathroom and he held her cloak. "So what do you feel like?" he asked, as he helped her put it on. "Chinese? Italian? Thai?"

"Sushi," Lavender bit her lower lip to keep from laughing at what his face might look like.

"Um," he said, trying not to wince at the mention of sushi. "Well, if that's what you really want, we could...but you know that Italian restaurant is just around the corner and ..."

"Seamus I'm just kidding," she laughed. "Honestly, I just love how you look whenever I say that word."

"Come on, Lav," Seamus said, holding the door open for her. "It's raw fish! I mean, that's just wrong. Everyone knows fish should be grilled, or baked, or fried. Even Ron, who will eat anything on the planet, turns his nose up at sushi."

"And it's delicious," Lavender said.

"It's disgusting," he countered.

"It's a refined taste," she informed him.

"How about we just agree to disagree on this one?" he asked her.

"Sounds good to me," Lavender snuggled against him. "Goodness this wind makes it so chilly! Just as it was finally starting to warm up again."

"You just want to snuggle while we walk," he teased. "I can see right through you, Lav."

"I don't need an excuse for that," she retorted.

"You most certainly don't," he said, pulling her close.

*** *** ***

Ron wiped the sweat from his forehead as he and Harry made it downstairs to bring up the next load. His friends were helping him and Luna move into their new place, but unfortunately, Luna wasn't there. She was still in Boston and wasn't due back for another couple of days. Because a few Muggles lived in this building as well, they had to use the Muggle way to move in and no one was particularly happy about it.

Seamus and Neville had just carried a table upstairs. Ron sighed as he walked over to moving van they'd borrowed. "Do you think we could get the sofa upstairs?" Ron asked as he went inside. When he didn't get a response from Harry, he poked his head out to see his friend lost in thought. The entire day Harry had been quiet and somewhat moody. Ron had a feeling he knew why.

"Harry?" he asked, jumping out of the van. "You okay?"

He jumped. "Fine, just fine." he said quickly.

"Liar," Ron said.

"Why do you care?" Harry snapped a bit irritably. "I'm here helping aren't I?"

"Ease up, Harry," Ron said frowning at him. "I appreciate you helping, but I don't appreciate the attitude. You've been in a snarky mood since you walked in the door. Pardon me for asking if you were okay."

"Sorry," Harry grunted.

"Luna told me what she found out about Gordon," Ron said cautiously. "I can see why you'd be upset."

Harry sighed as he and Ron went up the stairs. "Yeah... and I tried to bring up the subject again and Hermione actually got up and left the room. She just won't listen to me." he looked over at his best friend. "Did Luna tell you what I'm thinking of doing?"

"I didn't think she was serious," Ron admitted. When he saw the look on his friend's face, he stopped walking. "You're really going to do it then?"

"Well soon as I can find a ring that I think she'll like," Harry said. "Merlin... getting married never seemed like such a big deal until I started thinking seriously about it."

"I take it you're going to leave out the part where you tell her you're doing this because you think it will cause the psycho stalker to back off?" Ron asked with a laugh.

"Probably," Harry hoisted the end of the sofa again as they climbed the last set of stairs. "I mean... in the long run I'd marry her anyway so..."

"The psycho stalker just helped speed things up," Ron finished for him.

Harry smiled for the first time that day. "Yeah... at least one good thing came from Gordon Devereaux eh?"

Neville came up behind them and he had a surprised expression on his face. "I know I didn't hear you say that something good came from Gordon Devereaux, did I?"

Ron smirked as Harry chuckled. "Well if you count me proposing, then yes."

"Proposing?" Neville asked. "You?"

"Yeah, sometime soon," Harry replied. He told Neville and Seamus, who had walked into the room as well, all about what Luna had found out. "And I'm thinking if I propose, then maybe he'll realise that Hermione will never be his and back off. I'm worried he might try something."

"Are you sure you ought to be leaving her?" Seamus asked. "If you're worried about her being alone with this bloke..."

"Well that's why I'm hoping you guys will stop in," Harry rubbed the back of his neck. "I was going to ask you that later today when we finished up."

"Won't she be upset if she thinks you've got us looking after her?" Seamus asked. "I certainly don't mind doing it, but Hermione strikes me as quite independent. She's going to think you don't feel she can take care of herself."

"Well you guys won't be looking after her... just drop in, to borrow something or for food..." he looked at Ron meaningfully.

"She'd definitely buy that," Ron said with a grin. "I'm always doing that anyway."

"Exactly," Harry agreed.

"Maybe Lavender and I can bring over some movies and keep her company?" Seamus suggested.

"You guys are great," Harry sat down on the sofa next to Ron.

"So when are you going to ask her?" Neville asked. "And don't worry, I won't tell Cho. We all know how well she keeps secrets, don't we?"

"I'm not sure yet," Harry replied. "I guess... after we get back next week."

"Harry?" Seamus asked his friend. "Have you asked her parents about this yet? I imagine they'd want to know that you're planning to propose. Parents love it when you do stuff like that. I imagine Dr. Granger would appreciate that."

"He'll be lucky if Dr. Granger doesn't kill him," Ron deadpanned.

"Hey her father and I are getting along really well now!" Harry frowned. "But maybe I'll go talk to him about it."

"It's been nice knowing you," Ron joked, getting to his feet.

"Sod off," Harry replied.

"He has a point," Seamus said with a shudder. "Dr. Granger can be a bit...scary."

"He's really not a bad guy," Harry replied. "Sometimes a little overbearing but--"

"A little overbearing?" Ron asked. "Do you remember the look on his face that night you two moved into your cottage? You guys, I haven't seen Harry that scared since..."

"Only because you were shouting around about Hermione and I shagging!" Harry said.

Neville nearly fell over laughing. "That's right! I'd forgotten about that!"

"Lav told me about the time Hermione's parents dropped by and interrupted them," Seamus chimed in.

"That was bad," Harry laughed at the memory.

"On the bright side, you've made it through all that alive," Neville said, patting his friend on the back. "A little thing like asking her dad if you can marry his daughter should be a breeze."

"Right," Harry replied. "Well... let's get you finished up here Ron. I've got to get home and pack soon."

"Right you are, Mr. Granger," Ron teased.

"Hey!" Harry said. "The same could go for you- Ronald Lovegood."

"You know they say that your sex drive isn't what it once was after you get married," Ron said. "You sure you want to get married, Rabbit?"

"I don't think Hermione and I will ever have any sexual problems," Harry smirked at Ron while Neville and Seamus groaned. "She likes it when I put my fingers--"

"TOO MUCH INFORMATION!" Ron shouted, covering his ears. "Don't say things like that in my new home!"

Harry grinned. "Then don't ask next time."

"Fair enough," Ron said, shuddering. "Fair enough."

"Okay," Seamus said. "Now that we've heard even more about Harry's sex life, let's finish up like he said we should do ten minutes ago."

"Good," Neville said, looking at his watch. "I still need to pack and I want to spend some time with the wife and Chiaki."

"What else is still outside?" Harry asked Ron.

Ron thought for a moment. "Um, the mattress and box spring and there's a few boxes. And I need to go and get the dog from my mum's."

"Why don't you go do that and the rest of us will finish bringing everything up here." Seamus suggested. "Then you can settle in and not have to worry about going out later."

"You don't mind?" Ron asked. "I don't know how long I'll be. My mum's still crying about the fact that she no longer has any children left at home. She was talking about breaking out the photo albums when I left this morning."

"Want one of us to go with you for damage control?" Harry asked, holding in his laughter.

"Yeah, why don't you go and tell her you're going to propose?" Ron suggested. "I'm sure she'll be crying her eyes out over that, too. That and the fact that you still haven't brought Hermione over to meet her yet."

"Shit," Harry said. "Neville?"

"What?" Neville asked.

"Go over with Ron so he's not stuck there all night?" Seamus asked.

"Sure, send in the guy with the baby," Neville said with a laugh.

"We're all screwed," Harry joked.

"My mum's relentless," Ron admitted. "Don't worry. I can handle it alone. I find it hard to believe the rest of you lot were in Gryffindor with me."

Harry cursed at him playfully and they all went downstairs. The three men got everything else from the moving van and brought it back up to the flat. "So should we unpack or should we leave it all for Ron?" Seamus asked.

"I vote for leave it all for Ron," Neville said setting the last box down. "I'm knackered. Besides, we don't know where half of this mess is supposed to go. We've done our part. I say we go home."

"Sounds good to me," Harry said. "After I pack I'll have time for one last shag before we leave."

"Sod off, Harry," Neville and Seamus said in unison.

Ron expected to find his friends still at his flat when he returned with Paddington a half hour later, so he was surprised to find the place empty as he opened the front door. "Ow, Paddy that hurt!" the dog was scrambling around for some reason and caused Ron to trip and fall against the wall. "What the hell has you so excited?" he unsnapped the leash from the dog's collar and Paddington took off into the kitchen.

"Easy boy!" a familiar voice said from the kitchen. "I missed you!"

Ron stopped in his tracks. "Luna?" he asked. It couldn't be- she wasn't due home for another three days.

A few seconds later, Luna emerged from the kitchen, Paddington excitedly in tow. "I thought you'd have the place sorted by now," she said softly, a smile plastered across her face.

Ron stared at her. "What are you doing here?"

She laughed. "I live here, don't I?"

"Yeah but... you... in Boston and..." Ron was still staring. "I thought you weren't coming back until this weekend?"

She grinned. "I wasn't. The, um...editors called me in today and asked for a decision. I had made up my mind. I was going to do it. I was going to take them up on their offer..."

"Oh..." Ron said. "Well that's great--"

"I thought so too," she said, leaning down to calm Paddington who was begging for her attention. She laughed and sat down on the floor so the dog could rest his head on her lap. "But right as I was about to sign the contract, something stopped me. My hand literally froze over the contract, Ron."

"And what happened?" Ron joined his girlfriend on the floor.

"I couldn't do it," she said shaking her head. "Boston's a great city and that job would have been perfect, but it could never be my home. My home is where my friends are, where my family is, and where you are. This is where I want to be. This is the only place I've ever wanted to be."

"Luna are you sure?" Ron asked. "Writing for such a big paper is your dream!"

"It's ONE of my dreams," she corrected him. "And The Quibbler may not be as big as the Daily Prophet, but I think its well on its way. I'd like to be there when it happens. I'd like to be a reason why it happens."

Ron grinned. "So... you're staying here? You're really staying here?"

She beamed back at him. "Yes, I think so. If you'll have me, that is?"

Ron laughed. "If I'll have you?" he asked. "Don't I already have you?"

"At the moment, I think Paddy has me," she said with a giggle, trying to get up to kiss Ron, but Paddington was stubbornly keeping his head planted to her lap. "You'll have to come over here."

"Blasted mutt," Ron said, leaning over to press his lips to hers.

"He's a bit territorial, isn't he?" Luna asked when they broke apart.

"Maybe," Ron grinned down at the puppy. "He's really not that bad. Better company than I thought."

Luna looked around the flat which was cluttered with boxes and furniture. "We have our work cut out for us, don't we?" she asked.

"Just a bit," Ron replied. "We have such great friends," his sarcasm was evident. "Thought they might help us unpack but instead they run off for a shag."

Luna laughed. "I hate to break it you, but they finished off the food you had in the kitchen, too."

"Those bastards," Ron swore. "Guess this means we'll have to get some takeout."

"They're probably just getting you back, love," Luna teased, as she again tried to get up, but failed. "Do you think he missed me?"

"Maybe just a little," Ron said. "Hey Paddy come here!" he stood across the room and clapped his hands and to his delight, the dog got up and obediently walked over to him. "How's that?" he grinned at Luna.

"Much better," she said, getting to her feet. "Your mum's obviously been feeding him well."

"Aye, he eats better than I do," Ron laughed.

"I did manage to bring you back something I'd knew you'd love," she said, disappearing back into the kitchen and coming back with a white bakery box. With a smile on her face, she opened the box and said, "Boston Crème Pie."

"Let's have that now," Ron said eagerly.

She held up two forks and looked around. The sofa was covered with boxes and she couldn't even see the chairs. "So...I guess we're sitting on the floor then?"

Ron nodded. "Guess so," he replied. "Let me shut this monster in the bedroom..." he led Paddington out of the kitchen.

Luna smiled at Ron when he came back into the kitchen. "You do realize that you don't get to eat the entire pie, don't you? You have to share."

"I realise that," Ron said. "I'll save you a few bites."

"A few?" Luna said with mock indignation. "I thought moving in together meant we shared everything."

"All right, four bites," Ron's eyes twinkled.

She ruffled his hair playfully. "Don't ever change, Ron."

"I didn't plan on it," Ron's mouth was already full. "Damn that's a good pie."

Luna took a bite and grinned. "This pie was one of the reasons I wanted to stay in Boston."

"What were the other reasons?" Ron asked.

She looked thoughtfully at him after she took another bite of pie. "I felt guilty about leaving Michael behind, but he was really great about it and he made me promise to visit often. And the paper was fantastic. They'd still like me to do some stories for them every now and then."

"Well there you go," Ron encouraged.

Luna looked up at Ron and started to giggle. "Ron! You have some whipped cream on your nose!"

"I do?" he asked. "Where?" he purposely swiped in the wrong place.

Luna giggled. She pointed at his nose, but he kept missing and she finally cottoned onto what he was trying to do. "I am not going to lick your face, Ron Weasley!"

"All right," Ron wiped off the cream. "What if... I got some on my lips?" he asked devilishly.

Luna smiled and dipped her finger in the pie and smeared some on his lips. "Like that you mean?"

"Exactly like that," Ron said, leaning in closer to her.

She softly kissed him. "Delicious," she whispered.

"Funny..." Ron kissed her again. "I was going to say the same thing about you."

*** *** ***

"So I know New Zealand is far away and I just want to be sure you're fine here," Harry said, trying one last time to convince Hermione to stay elsewhere. "You know, I'll bet your parents would love to have you around again for a week."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Why don't you just hire a nanny to watch me while you're away?"

"I will if you want," Harry didn't realise at first that she was being sarcastic. "Sorry... I just hate the thought of you being here all alone while I'm gone is all."

"I appreciate your concern, I really do," she said choosing her words carefully. She hated when they fought and she didn't want to send him off to New Zealand on the heels of another blazing row. "But I've stayed here by myself before. Last time I checked I was a grown woman and I think I can handle myself quite well. I happen to be quite handy with a wand you know."

"I know," Harry stuffed the last of his clothing into his bag. "I'm sorry sweetheart."

"Besides, I'll hardly be alone," she said sitting back down on the edge of the bed. "Lavender's coming over later with some movies. Seamus was going to come with, but he's still finishing up his movie."

"Well that'll be nice," Harry smiled.

"And Gordon's coming over tomorrow afternoon after class so we can finish up our project," she said watching as Harry zipped up his bag. She saw him freeze at the mention of Gordon. "What? You're not still on about that, are you?" she asked him.

"I can't help it," Harry replied. "I don't think he's right in the head..." he'd tried to broach the subject again with her after coming back from Ron's but was met with a cold glare so he'd stopped.

"Can we please not get into this now?" she asked pleadingly. "You're leaving in a few minutes and I really don't want to fight. And just because he's not into Quidditch and he doesn't like the same things that you do, doesn't mean that he's 'not right in the head'."

"All right," Harry replied. "There are a few other things I'd rather do before I have to go..."

"Now you're talking," she said standing up from the bed and wrapping her arms around his waist. She rested her forehead on his. "I'll make a deal with you, Harry."

"What's that?" he asked, threading his fingers into her soft hair.

"I'll let you take me flying," she began.

"Really?" Harry interrupted.

"Yes," she said, smiling at the look of excitement on his face. "But..."

"Uh oh there's a catch isn't there," Harry asked.

"Yes," she said. "I really want you to ease up on Gordon." She felt him tense up. "I know you don't like him. Okay, I get that. I don't understand it, but I get it. But, he's not had the easiest time, Harry. His parents have pretty much ignored him these last few years. He thinks they're embarrassed by him. I'm one of the few friends he has..."

Harry snorted. "I wonder why they're embarrassed of him..." he muttered.

"He thinks they're disappointed in him," Hermione explained. "He's gone against their wishes and they won't understand that he wants a career of his own. His dad sort of tried to push him into things and they never really had that great of a relationship. You should see how sad and lost he looks when he talks about them."

"Right," Harry said sarcastically.

"He needs me, Harry," Hermione said frowning at him. "He's my friend. Why can't you understand that?"

Harry didn't know what to say. "I just think he's depending too much on you," he finally said. "He's got to have other friends yet he's always here."

Hermione sighed. "He's kind of a loner. Not everyone understands him."

"Well how would you feel if I brought someone like Isabella around all the time?" Harry tried to counter. "That's how I feel about Gordon."

"YOU can't be serious," Hermione said shaking her head. "Harry! I've never been involved with Gordon! You slept with bloody Isabella! I think that's a bit different!"

"That's not the point," Harry sighed and stepped away from his girlfriend. "My point was that she's someone you don't like, and Gordon's someone I don't like." he picked up his bag. "So much for taking you flying."

"Harry!" Hermione said coming up behind him. "Look, as much as I hate to admit it, you do have a point. If you don't want him coming around here, I won't bring him around. But, I'm not going to stop being his friend."

He stood with his back to her. "Please, don't leave like this. I don't want you to go away angry," she said softly. "Please..."

"I'm not angry," Harry said. "I just don't see why you have to turn a deaf ear to me whenever I try to tell you why I don't like the bloke."

"You're right," she said with a sigh. "I should listen to you. You listened to me when I was all insecure about Isabella. I'm sorry. I just wanted you and Gordon to like each other."

Harry dropped his head down. "Look... when I get back we'll have a long chat about this all right? You hear me out and I'll hear you out."

"Deal," she said. "And you can still take me flying...if you promise to go slow and not too high."

Harry smiled. "We'll start slow and not too high..." he hugged her tightly. "I'll miss you."

She relaxed into his arms and rested her head on his shoulder. "What time is your portkey?"

"One minute," Harry replied.

"Damn," she whispered.

"Not enough time to shag," Harry's eyes twinkled at her.

"You don't suppose Lupin would let you be a little late?" she asked hopefully. "I'm not ready to let you go just yet."

"If I'm late I might miss the portkey to New Zealand," Harry replied.

"Okay," she said reluctantly letting go of him.

"I love you," Harry stroked her cheek before pressing his lips to hers.

"I love you," she said, squeezing his hand. She could see the worried look in his eyes. "I'll be fine, Harry."

"All right," Harry said. "I'll see you on Saturday."

Hermione watched as he gave her one last grin before walking out of the bedroom. She sank back down on the bed glad that he didn't leave angry, but still upset that he couldn't see Gordon as she did.

From just outside the cottage, Gordon stood behind a stone pillar. He knew this was the night Potter was leaving and he didn't know what made him happier. The fact that the arrogant wanker was leaving or the fact that he now knew where to take Hermione to perform the binding spell.

Hermione lay back on the bed with a sigh, thinking she might catch a quick kip before her cousin arrived. She was just putting her head on the pillow when the doorbell rang.

Gordon paced excitedly in front of the door, trying to keep his emotions in check. This was the happiest he'd been in weeks and he knew it was risky coming to see her so soon after Potter had left, but he couldn't help it. He wanted to see her face. He wanted to hear her voice.

"Gordon?" Hermione blinked. "Were we supposed to meet tonight to work on our project?"

"No, no," Gordon said, giving her a sheepish smile. "I was just in the neighbourhood and I thought you might want to grab a cappuccino or something."

"Oh that sounds nice but my cousin is coming over in just a bit," Hermione said. "I'll take a rain check though."

"Oh," Gordon said, trying to mask his disappointment. "You look a bit sad. Is everything okay?"

"Oh I'm fine," Hermione gave him a half smile. "Harry's just left; I hate it when he goes away."

Gordon fumed. First she turns me down for coffee and then she has to bring up Potter, Gordon thought angrily. Instinctively, he felt his fists clench at his sides.

"So another time then?" Hermione asked, not noticing his rising anger.

Now, it seemed to Gordon as if she was trying to get rid of him. This did nothing to calm him. Potter completely had Hermione under his spell. He needed to get her away from Potter and soon.

"Yes," he finally managed to say, forcing a smile. "I'll hold you to that, Hermione."

"All right," Hermione sent him a smile. "I'll see you later then Gordon. Have a good night."

Gordon watched helplessly as she shut the door in his face. His first instinct was to break the door down and force her to see what Potter had done to her, but Potter's hold on her was too strong. Besides, he still had so much more to prepare.

"Your days of turning me down are over, Hermione," Gordon said icily as he stared at the closed door.