Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Wow you guys ;) what a great response on chapter 40! A lot of you were curious about Andrew, you'll find out about him in this chapter.

Also… we really hope you won't kill us, but it's PART of a moment most of you have been waiting for. Can't say anything more than that quite yet, but get ready for some fireworks!

Also, this chapter is dedicated to Jerry Orbach, who died on Tuesday, Dec 28th- he was the inspiration for Robert Granger and Baby's father in the actual Dirty Dancing movie. RIP!

Hermione paced in front of the bed wondering what in the world could be happening downstairs. Luna looked very distraught and Hermione had been somewhat hurt that Luna asked to speak to Harry alone. Harry and Luna had been outside on the porch for nearly half an hour and Hermione had tried to distract herself by changing into her pyjamas and even reading, but she couldn't concentrate. She heard footsteps on the stairs and quickly dove back into bed.

"Sorry about that," Harry said brusquely, heading straight for the closet.

"It's okay," she said, watching as he breezed past her with not so much as a look. "Is everything okay?"

"Not really," Harry replied. "I have to go."

Hermione pulled the covers back and walked into the closet to see him pulling a sweatshirt on over his jeans. "Is something wrong with Ron?" she asked with a concerned expression on her face.

"No Ron's fine..." Harry hesitated a moment. "They found that reporter, the one that's been missing. And there's a call for Auror's to come down to the Ministry."

"But you're still in training," she said, confused.

"Remus was in the fireplace soon as Luna left," Harry explained. "He wants us trainees there to observe and for some input."

Hermione stared at him as he walked right past her carrying his shoes.

"You look really worried, though," she said quietly. "Did you know this reporter?"

"No..." Harry paused once again, wondering if he should tell her about her good friend Gordon.

She sat down beside him on the edge of the bed. "Harry...you're scaring me. What's really going on?"

Harry sighed. "It seems... your friend Gordon... no listen and don't stop me!" He held up his hand. "Your friend memory charmed this Andrew. I don't know where he's kept him or why he left him out in the middle of Diagon Alley wandering around talking nonsense, but Luna found out they were friends back at Durmstrang."

"Honestly, Harry," Hermione said with a dismissive laugh. "That sounds like something straight out of a comic book. That's crazy!"

"Does it?" Harry stood up. "Well as horrible as Andrew Murphy may have been as a reporter, he certainly didn't deserve to have his memories wiped."

"I never said he did," Hermione said calmly. "I'm just saying that you thinking Gordon had something to do with it is preposterous."

"Why is that?" Harry snapped. "And did you just completely ignore me saying that Luna dug up photos of them at Durmstrang together?"

Hermione couldn't believe he was on this again. "So they were friends at Durmstrang? What does that prove? Harry, Gordon would never do that to someone!"

"How do you know?" Harry asked. "Do you think Luna would have told me this if it weren't true?" Hermione shook her head and he felt anger growing in him. "Well fine, let me fill you in on something else. Do you want to know the real reason Gordon Devereaux left Beauxbatons?"

"I know the real reason he left Beauxbatons," Hermione said pulling a face. "His father was transferred..."

"No," Harry said. "He was sneaking into a professor's office to get the answers for an exam. Pretty smart bloke my arse! And he got caught, by a girl a year younger. Her name was Claudette Jeune. Ring any bells? Did she appear beat up to you and disoriented because her fucking memories were wiped?"

Hermione shook her head. "Harry, Gordon would never have cheated on an exam! He had top marks...and this Claudette Jeune...there were rumours that she had some sort of breakdown."

"Damn it Hermione!" Harry slapped his hand down on the dresser, making her jump. "Why are you making excuses for him?"

Hermione stared at him for a moment before answering. "Because he's my friend, Harry! And I know he'd never do something like that."

"Look," Harry said testily. "I don't know his true agenda, all right? But I don't trust him. I never have. And he's got a fancy for you and that worries me, especially now that I know of things he's done to other people."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Is that what this is about? Harry, for the umpteenth time...Gordon doesn't fancy me!"

"Oh really," Harry said. "Let's think about it here. He always interrupts us. He insinuates things to me about the two of you all the time. Why do you think I avoid being alone with him?"

Hermione folded her arms protectively across her chest. "The two of you don't get along very well, I get that, okay? Can you think for one second what position this puts me in? I can't have someone I consider a good friend in our home because I'm afraid it's going to make you uncomfortable. How would you feel if I was testy and short with Cho when she came over here for a visit?"

"You were at one point," Harry replied shortly.

"Oh for Merlin's sake!" she exclaimed in frustration. "That was because I found out that the two of you slept together... a fact you chose to keep from me."

"We slept together a long time ago!" Harry shouted. "And I didn't purposely keep it from you! You found out on accident! I would have told you eventually once we were settled in!"

"Eventually?" Hermione said, shaking her head. "That's just like you, Harry. Tell me only what you think I need to know. You and I both know you'd never have told me!"

"I WOULD TOO HAVE TOLD YOU!" Harry was full blown shouting now but didn't care. "Why is this still an issue? And stop trying to turn this on me- this is about Gordon NOT ME!"

"No, this is about you," she said, getting up in his face. "You're blowing this way out of proportion based on what---a couple of photos?"

"I have photos. I also have articles." Harry stomped over to a drawer and began pulling the information out, throwing it towards the bed. "What would you like to see first Hermione?"

Hermione stared at the piles of papers and photos that spilled out of the folder. She looked at him in disbelief. "Y-you've been checking up on him?"

"Yeah, I have," Harry replied shortly.

"That's---," she said, searching for a word to describe what he'd done. How in the world could he have snuck around behind her back to dig up dirt on Gordon?

"That's what?" Harry asked.

"That's unbelievable," she whispered. She looked over at Harry as if seeing him for the first time. "I-I don't even know who you are anymore..."

"You've got to be kidding me," Harry said in disbelief. "You're angry with ME? LOOK AT THE DAMN ARTICLES!"

She stood stock still as he walked over to the bed and picked up the clippings folder and thrust it at her. "I don't need to look at them," she said quietly, trying to hold back the tears. Nearly an hour ago, they'd been so happy and now they were at each other's throats.

"Why's that Hermione?" Harry asked angrily. "Afraid that I'm right and you're wrong?"

She glared at him. "No," she said, shaking her head. "He's my friend, Harry. I know he wouldn't do this."

"HE DID!" Harry roared. "You know what? Not only did he memory charm Claudette and Andrew, he did it to his bloody PARENTS AS WELL! What do you think of your friend now Hermione? Wonder why his parents have ignored him for the past few years? Because they DON'T KNOW HIM!"

An image of Gordon nearly kissing her and then the look on his face when he'd walked in on her a few short nights ago passed through Hermione's mind. But, he'd explained those things away. Hermione knew that Gordon probably had a very good explanation for these things, too. Harry was just trying to find something bad, but she couldn't understand why. He should never be jealous of Gordon. Gordon didn't see her as anything but a friend. She sank down onto the bed and looked down at the carpet.

"Why don't you see?" Harry asked, his tone quieter and with a tone of desperation.

"Why don't you?" she asked, looking up at him. "Harry, please. Drop this."

"No," Harry shook his head. "Not now."

"Why?" she asked, as a tear fell down her cheek.

"Because I'm scared of what will happen to you if he keeps up with this!" Harry wanted to shake her. "He's crazy damn it!"

"Harry, Gordon would never hurt me," she said, pleading with him to believe her. "Can't you just trust my judgment on this?"

"No!" Harry threw the folder down onto the bed. "Why do you think I'd LIE about this??"

She put a hand on his arm. "I don't think you're lying, Harry. I just think you're trying really hard to find something that isn't there."

Harry shrugged her off. "You're blind," he said, shaking his head. "You can't see what he's up to. GORDON was the one responsible for those articles about us in the Daily Prophet! He told this Andrew bloke what to write about so he could try and break us up!"

Hermione sighed. "What? Harry---what on earth would he possibly have to gain by doing that? He was really supportive of me throughout that whole ordeal..."

Harry made a frustrated noise. "It's a fucking act Hermione! Get that through your head!"

Hermione shook her head, feeling the anger surge in her again. "Here we go again! You're doing it again! Treating me like a child! Telling me what to think, telling me how to act, and telling me who my friends should be. I actually believed you when you said you weren't going to do that again." She pushed past him and grabbed a pillow and the duvet cover. "I'm sleeping on the sofa tonight!"

"Fine, go sleep on the fucking sofa," Harry snapped. "Why should I even bother to stick around?" he asked, following her down the stairs. "Obviously I'm the bad guy here! I'm making you think what I want you to think. Yet Gordon can beat people up and memory charm them, I've got the FUCKING PROOF sitting right in front of you yet he's still your FRIEND!"

Hermione tried to tune him out as she quickly walked down the stairs. Angrily, she threw the pillow and covers down on the sofa.

"I don't understand." Harry said flatly, staring at her. "Why would you not even bother to hear what I have to say?"

"Maybe because you won't do the same for me," she snapped.

"I would TOO listen to you if you had something to say!" Harry felt his temper rise again.

"No, you haven't!" she shot back. "You haven't listened to a word I've said! You insist on treating me like a two-year old!"

"WELL I'M SORRY THAT I WORRY!" Harry roared.

"WELL I'M SORRY THAT YOU DON"T TRUST ME!" she yelled back. Harry looked like he wanted to say something else to her, but he just shook his head and made his way toward the door. "Where are you going?" she asked, following him.

"I'm leaving," he said coldly. "You obviously don't want someone here that you don't trust."

"Harry-," she said, watching as he grabbed his cloak.

"What?" He turned around sharply.

"Are...are you coming back?" she asked steadily.

"I don't know," Harry yanked the front door open. "Don't really know why I should bother anymore."

Hermione hadn't expected him to say that. Sure, they were angry with each other, but this couldn't be the end. They'd gone through hell and back to be together, but he was willing to walk away over one horrible row, she thought miserably. "Don't go...," she heard herself say. He stood there for a few moments with his back to her before walking out and closing the door behind him.

*** *** ***

Luna readied her quill over some blank sheets of parchment, ready to find out whatever she could on Andrew Murphy. She was sitting down as she saw Harry come into the room; she wondered why he was so late and why he looked so stressed out.

Remus Lupin came out of the holding room they were keeping Andrew in and shook his head as he locked eyes with Harry.

"How is he?" Harry asked without even so much as a hello to Luna or anyone else.

Lupin sighed. "Babbling nonsense I'm afraid." he crossed his arms and pushed Harry towards the back of the room where several other trainees were standing.

Neville looked up as he saw Harry approaching and gave his friend a look, but Harry just ignored him and focused his attention on Lupin who began to speak.

"The missing reporter Andrew Murphy from the Daily Prophet was discovered wandering around Diagon Alley just a short few hours ago," Lupin began. "We're here for a briefing to give a message to the press, and to assemble a team to try and find who's done this to him."

"Do you think dark forces were involved, sir?" Megan asked timidly.

"I do," Lupin said, nodding at her.

Hushed whispers buzzed around the room as the trainees speculated amongst each other what could possibly have happened.

"Do you have any leads?" Matthew Smith asked, glaring at Harry as he did so.

"At the moment we do not," Lupin answered, noticing that the press members there were scribbling furiously away.

Harry looked impatiently behind Lupin at the door to the room where Andrew Murphy was being held. He wanted so badly to just burst into the room and ask Andrew questions, but he knew the press would have a field day with that so he tried to remain patient and calm, but the fight with Hermione was playing over and over in his mind.

"Right then," Lupin said after the press had asked several questions. "I ask that you Aurors in training please wait in that room over there," he pointed to a door. "You will NOT be allowed to talk to Andrew Murphy I'm afraid--"

Harry looked at Lupin in disbelief. "What?" he asked.

Lupin held up a hand. "Professional Aurors only," he said in a tone that dictated no nonsense. "Press, if you choose you are to wait in that room," he pointed to another door. "Both rooms will allow you to see and hear what is going on with Andrew Murphy but he will not know you are there."

Harry managed to pull Lupin aside as the groups began to disband into different directions. "I'm not asking for preferential treatment or anything, but please...I need to talk to him."

"I'm sorry Harry," Lupin said. "I can't allow you in and none of the others. What do you have to ask him, perhaps I can bring it up."

Harry gave Lupin a brief rundown of what Luna had found out about the connection between Gordon and Andrew. "I need to know if Gordon Devereaux was responsible for this."

"Harry, he's been memory charmed," Lupin replied.

Harry groaned in frustration and angrily kicked the wall. Luckily, he and Lupin were the only two left in the room and the press hadn't caught his outburst.

"Harry," Lupin put a hand on his shoulder. "I doubt we'll be able to find out anything, so don't get your hopes up. We'll do what we can. We have specialists who are trained in memory retrieval so if all goes well he'll be able to tell us. But just him and this Gordon bloke being friends isn't going to convince anyone that he's guilty."

Logically, Harry knew Lupin was right. But, Harry didn't want to think logically at the moment. He didn't want to wait. He wanted answers and he wanted them now, before it was too late.

"Go on in there with the rest of the trainees," Lupin pushed him towards the room.

Harry nodded glumly and pushed open the door. Neville waved him over and Harry hesitated just a moment before joining his friend. The last thing he wanted to do now was give Neville a play-by-play account of what had transpired that evening with Hermione.

"What is going on with you?" Neville whispered.

"Nothing," Harry answered shortly, staring straight ahead.

Neville gave him a dubious look before looking through the wall to where Andrew Murphy sat on a chair, his head lolling around.

"He doesn't look very good, does he?" Megan commented softly from behind Harry and Neville.

"No he doesn't," Neville replied. "It's got to be more than a memory charm here..."

Matthew snorted from his seat beside Megan. "Brilliant deduction, Longbottom...," he said sarcastically.

"Shut up Matt," Megan snapped. "Or would you like me to slap you again?"

"Save it, Reilly," Matt said, looking at Harry. "Hey, Potter? Why so glum? I heard you tried to get Lupin to let you question that vegetable. What's the matter? Didn't get your way? Going to have a nice cry about it?"

Harry turned and gave him an icy glare. "You'd best shut the fuck up before I make you a vegetable just like him."

Matt didn't have a chance to respond. The room grew quiet as they each saw Lupin enter Andrew's room.

Through the next half hour, Luna's hand cramped as she scribbled as fast as she could, intent on putting together a story about this poor man that would make the public aware of someone who could do such a thing. It frightened her to think that the culprit was most likely Gordon Devereaux and that she had seen and talked to him- it frightened her more to think of how often he had been alone with Hermione.

As Harry watched Lupin gently try and coax some information out of Andrew, he saw his hopes dash with each passing minute. Andrew was making no sense at all. Most of the time he sat there in silence, staring off into space. When Andrew did speak, it was in complete non sequiturs.

Lupin was growing frustrated, as even the memory retrievers from St. Mungo's weren't able to penetrate the charm. "Let's let him rest until tomorrow," he sighed. "There's nothing more we can do with him tonight."

Harry sat completely frozen as he heard the room quietly begin to empty.

"Harry..." Neville touched his shoulder. "Come on we have to go. I'm sure Hermione's waiting for you at home."

"I'm not going home," Harry said weakly.

"Why not?" Neville was confused.

"I just can't," Harry answered, slowly getting to his feet.

"Harry--" Neville began.

"I told her," Harry said, interrupting him. "I told her everything I'd manage to dig up on Devereaux and she didn't believe a word I said. Can you believe that? She just dismissed it all...wouldn't even look at it..."

"What?" Neville asked. "You dug up stuff on Gordon?"

"Luna managed to find out loads of background information," Harry explained. "She even had photographs linking Andrew and Gordon at Durmstrang."

"What?" Neville's eyes grew wide. "You mean... you think Gordon did this to Andrew?"

"No," Harry said, shaking his head. "I KNOW Gordon did that to Andrew."

Neville felt his jaw drop. "What... did you tell Lupin?"

"Yeah," Harry replied. "But unless Andrew or some witness can come forward to prove it, I'm right back where I started from."

Neville wasn't sure what to say. "Did you want me to go over and talk to her? Maybe Luna will, since she dug up everything..."

"She won't listen to me, what makes you so sure she'd listen to anyone else?" Harry asked quietly. "I walked out on her..."

"You WHAT?" If Neville was shocked before it was nothing like how he felt now.

"We had a terrible row about it," Harry said. "We both said some horrible things to each other. And I just couldn't take it anymore, Neville. She thought I was making all of this up!"

Neville shook his head sympathetically. "Sounds... sounds as if you've both got your work cut out for you," he was afraid to bring up the topic of their possible engagement.

"I need to get out of here," Harry said. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"All right," Neville said. "You know you can stay with us... if you have to right?"

Harry nodded. "I'll be fine."

Luna was putting her quill back in her bag and leaving the press room at the same time Harry was leaving. "Harry..." she said. "I'm sorry we didn't get to talk earlier--"

Harry gave her a weak smile. "It's okay."

"You look horrible..." Luna was concerned. "I mean... I know I interrupted you and Hermione earlier and I'm sorry..."

Harry couldn't believe that only a few hours ago, he and Hermione had been all over each other. It seemed like ages ago now. "You don't have to be sorry, Luna. You've done so much for me these past few weeks. I haven't thanked you properly."

Luna nodded. "Harry... I don't mean to sound... selfish or anything..." she adjusted her strap and looked down. "This scares me. I don't think I can look up anything more." she pulled a few more photos and some parchment out of her bag. "I meant to give these to you earlier. Those people I was telling you about, my source confirmed that they're Gordon's parents. And now Andrew is the same way they are." Tears pricked at her eyes. "I'm afraid of him."

Harry's heart went out to Luna. He hadn't thought about how all of this could have affected her. If he thought he couldn't feel worse than he already did, he was mistaken as he gave his friend a comforting hug. "Shhhh...Luna," he whispered. "It's okay. You've done more than enough. I can take it from here."

"All right," she sniffled. "I don't mean to pull out on you Harry I really don't..."

"Don't you think on it one more second," Harry said giving her a reassuring smile. "Hey... you should be home making sure that man of yours doesn't eat you out of house and home, right?"

"Will you walk me back?" she asked. "I'm sort of freaked out about being on my own."

"Of course," he answered. "Are you ready to go now?"

Luna nodded, tucking her long hair behind her ear. "Thanks Harry."

"No problem," he said, putting an arm around her as they walked out of the building.

Luna thanked him again as Harry dropped her off at her flat; he insisted on walking her up to the door. He'd been strangely quiet, but she attributed that to knowing who was responsible for Andrew's condition but unable to prove it. "I'll see you later Harry. Take care of Hermione."

At the mention of Hermione's name, Harry felt his stomach plummet. He couldn't believe he'd walked out on her like he had.

"Yeah," he said, pecking Luna on the cheek. "Good night."

"Night," Luna watched him go down the corridor then let herself into the flat. She was exhausted yet the night was still young for her- she had to compile her notes and write the story so it could go out in the next day's issue.

Ron, who was sound asleep on the sofa, hadn't heard Luna come inside, but Paddington ran for the door and wagged his tail and panted at Luna, begging for her attention.

"Hey Paddy," Luna said softly, scratching her puppy behind the ears. "Have you been good for daddy?"

"No," Ron said groggily, rubbing his eyes as he came toward her. "The bloody beast is..." His voice trailed off as he focused on his girlfriend who seemed to lost and sad. "Luna? What's wrong?"

Luna sighed. "It's just been a really rough night," she said, her voice trembling a bit.

Ron quickly crossed the room and took her in his arms. "You want to talk about it?" he asked, patting her back.

Luna looked up at him, tears pooling in her eyes and suddenly everything was spilling out of her. "I'm scared Ron," she couldn't hold back her tears any longer and he pulled her closer into his arms.

"It's okay, sweetheart," he said softly. "Nothing's going to happen to you. I won't let it."

"I know," Luna said into his shoulder as he stroked her hair gently. "I guess I'm just afraid that he'll find out I dug up all that information on him and come after me. Harry told me not to bother with it anymore... said I'd done enough."

"You have," he said. "And he won't find out that you helped Harry. Besides, it's not you this Gordon bloke is concerned about. It's Hermione..." Ron frowned. "That was a terrible thing to say, wasn't it? I don't want anything to happen to Hermione. I just--I don't always say the right thing."

"You never do," Luna managed a small laugh. "But that's what I love about you. Your heart is in the right place."

He smiled adoringly at her. "I know you have your story to write and all, but let me pamper you for a bit. How does a nice mug of hot chocolate sound? And I managed to save you some of those biscuits you like so much."

"You're the best Ronald Weasley," Luna gave him a kiss. "Will you hold me for a few minutes first?"

"Of course," he said leaning back on the sofa so she could rest her head on his chest. They didn't say anything for the longest time and Ron just held her content that she was safe and that they were happy. He hoped that Harry would be able to say the same about Hermione soon.

*** *** ***

Harry didn't go home that night. After leaving Neville at headquarters, he'd walked around thinking about the fight with Hermione. Although it could sometimes drive him crazy, her stubborn streak was one of the things he loved most about her. The way that if she thought something was right, she'd stand her ground and not back down.

At the moment though, he hated that stubborn streak of hers. She wouldn't listen to reason. He'd tried to show her every detail and bit of information he'd managed to find on Gordon and she hadn't even looked at it. She'd just dismissed it straightaway. They were supposed to be in love, he thought miserably. If she didn't trust him and his judgment, what kind of relationship or future would they have?

He'd gone into an all-night diner and drank cup after cup of coffee, thinking about what had happened over the past year. Meeting her had changed his life and now…it seemed to be falling apart.

At around 8 the next morning, he walked the familiar route to Cho and Neville's flat. Neville would be in training, but Harry didn't much feel like going. He was glad Neville wouldn't be there. He needed to see Cho. She'd understand. Perhaps, she'd tell him what he should do.

He knocked on the door, hoping he wouldn't wake the baby. It took awhile for someone to come to the door. When Cho finally answered the door, she was still dressed in her pyjamas and her dressing gown was hanging off her shoulder. She looked none too pleased to be awake at such an early hour.

"Harry?" she asked after letting out a big yawn. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I needed to talk," Harry said.

"It's too early to talk," she said groggily, rubbing her eyes. "This is the only morning I've had to have a proper lie-in."

"I'm really sorry," Harry apologised. "You're the only person I could come to about this."

Cho focused her attention on him and saw for the first time how horrible he looked. He had a five o'clock shadow and his clothes were all wrinkled. "Come on inside," she said, standing back.

"Thanks," Harry stepped inside. "Have you got anything warm to drink? Any coffee?"

"Um, sure," she said shutting the door behind him. "Neville put a fresh pot on before he left. Speaking of which, shouldn't you be in training?"

"Probably," Harry sighed, his eyelids drooping. "But I just can't handle it today, not after last night."

"I didn't get a chance to speak with Neville," Cho said, as they walked into the kitchen. "He came home pretty late last night. He mentioned they found that reporter..."

"Yeah they did." Harry sat down as Cho got them both some coffee. "He's pretty useless."

Cho handed him a cup of coffee and sat down. "Forgive me for saying so, but you look awful, Harry."

Harry looked up at her. "Well I feel terrible. Why shouldn't I look terrible as well?" he laughed dryly.

Cho put a hand over her mouth. "Oh! Harry...you proposed and Hermione said no! Oh...I can't believe she didn't say yes..."

Harry snorted. "That's not it," he said.

She stared across the table at him. "Well, what is it?"

He sighed. "I asked Luna to check into Gordon Devereaux for me. I don't like the guy... there's something about him I haven't liked from the first time I met him last year..." he told her what Luna had dug up. "And so I'm positive he's the one that charmed this Andrew Murphy because I think he's somehow going to go after Hermione. I don't know how, or when... I just have this bad feeling."

Cho hadn't liked Gordon either, but she shuddered to think that someone she knew could be responsible for such horrible acts. "Did you tell Hermione what you found out?" she asked.

"I tried to," Harry replied miserably. "I gave her everything I had and she just tossed it away. Wouldn't even look at it."

"I-I don't understand," Cho said shaking her head. "Are you saying she didn't believe you?"

Harry thought for a moment. "I don't know," he finally replied. "Every time over the past few weeks I've tried to say something about him, she blocks me out. I thought when I got back from New Zealand that I'd finally be able to sit her down and talk to her. Instead we fought about me asking Ron and Seamus to look in on her. And then for the rest of the week everything was fine, and it was too good for me to try and spoil it again." he looked at Cho. "You saw us last night. Everything couldn't have been better. And then Luna told me they found Andrew Murphy and so when she asked me what was going on, I finally just told her. And it blew right back up in my face!"

"Harry, I can't believe she wouldn't have listened to you. I mean I know that she's sort of got a blind spot where he's concerned, but the two of you---"

"I walked out on her," Harry interrupted. "I just couldn't take it anymore. She's so bloody stubborn and she just wouldn't listen." to his dismay his eyes filled with tears. "Hermione's probably packing up to move back home as we speak. I don't want to lose her Cho."

Cho was still trying to wrap her brain around the fact that the happy couple who'd left her house last night were now in shambles. "You walked out on her?" she couldn't help asking.

Harry nodded, his eyes cast down at the floor. "And she asked me if I was coming back and like a fucking idiot I said I don't know." he shook his head.

Cho reached her hand across the table and patted her best friend's arm. "You haven't lost her, Harry. But, if you don't do something to fix this soon...you will. And you and I both know that Gordon Devereaux was counting on this...probably playing on her sympathies...making her feel sorry for him."

"You think he's waiting to move in on her?" Harry asked, suddenly panicked.

Cho rolled her eyes. "Of course, he is! Harry, do you remember that Daily Prophet article about you and Isabella? Stupid question, of course you do. Anyways, that wanker called supposedly to check on Hermione, but Luna wouldn't let him and he got really snarky about it."

"I never knew that," Harry said. "There's my last bit of proof- he knew the article was there and called to try and worm in on her while her defences were low."

Cho sat back. "How about I go over there now and shake some sense into her? No one can talk like me, Harry, and I won't leave until she sees what you've been trying to tell her all along."

"No," Harry said. "This is between her and me now... I have to take care of this myself."

"Exactly," Cho said, looking earnestly at her best friend. "So, you have two options here, Harry. One, you can sit here feeling sorry for yourself while that psycho moves in on Hermione or two, you can get off your arse and you can both work and save your relationship. So...the only question is, what are you going to do?"

Harry stared at her for a moment. "I'm going to go talk to her," he said, a light springing into his eyes.

"There's the Harry Potter I know and love," she said smiling at him.

Harry smiled back at her. "I knew you'd be able to talk some sense into me." he got up and gave Cho a hug. "Don't ever tell anyone, but out of all our friends, you're my favourite."

She laughed. "Your secret is safe with me. To tell you the truth, you're my favourite, too. And I'd be even more crazy about you, if you'd let me go back to sleep."

"All right," Harry kissed her cheek. "If you ever tell anyone that I'll spill the beans to Lupin that you had a crush on him at Hogwarts."

Cho frowned. "You play dirty, Potter."

"I know," Harry said. "And when it comes to Gordon, I'm about to play even dirtier. I hope that bastard stays away from Hermione for his own sake."

"You and me both," Cho said, walking him to the door. "Good luck, Harry."

"Thanks. Have a good morning's sleep." he smiled at her as she shut the door behind him. He looked at his watch and decided to stop by the cottage to see if Hermione had gone to class. If she had, there would be one more stop for him to make before talking to her.

*** *** ***

Hermione dragged herself to class that morning, never feeling more miserable in her life. She had been certain that once Harry had worked his anger off he'd be back, yet their bed was in the same manner it had been the night before and it was obvious that he had not come home. She couldn't believe he had left, but at the same time she knew she was being more than stubborn at this point- and the whole situation had gone on long enough.

She had taken a quick shower and then while getting dressed, had put on her locket. Hermione thought about glancing inside but was afraid of what she would see, of whom Harry would possibly be with. What scared her the most at the moment was where their relationship was left standing.

Still wiping away a few random tears as she came upon the University campus, she slipped into the classroom.

"Hey, Hermione!" Gordon said, looking up as she walked into the room. "We're in luck. The professor's letting us have this class to work on our project. Isn't that great..." His voice trailed off as he took in her pale skin and red eyes. "Hermione, what's happened?"

Hermione took one look at his concerned face and burst into tears again. She fell into her seat and put her face in her hands, her shoulders drooping as she began to sob.

"Hermione?" Gordon asked, awkwardly patting her on the back. "What is it? You can tell me. Maybe I can help."

"I don't think anyone can help," Hermione muttered, wiping her nose on a tissue.

He gave her a sympathetic smile, the wheels turning in his head. He wondered if it could be possible that Saint Potter finally messed up. "Why don't you give me a try?" he asked soothingly.

"Harry and I... had a really huge fight last night," she said, confirming his suspicions. "He left and he wasn't back this morning when I woke up."

Gordon felt a smile twitching at his lips. Thankfully, Hermione had put her head in her hands again and hadn't seen this. "You've fought before, Hermione. I'm sure its just a misunderstanding," he said, forcing himself to sound sincere.

"This time it was the worst it's ever been," Hermione's voice was quivering dangerously. "He's never left before Gordon. We always made up as soon as possible. I'm so scared that I'm going to go home and all his things will be gone."

I'll go and help him pack, Gordon mused silently to himself. This was the best news he could have imagined hearing, but he mustn't seem too happy about it. He needed to play the concerned friend. He opened his arms. "Come here..."

Hermione turned and let her friend hug her. She needed support right now and was glad there was someone here to give it to her. "Do you think he'd leave me?" she asked.

Gordon didn't know what Hermione and Harry had fought about and he didn't care. He pulled Hermione closer to him. This was it. Potter had finally done it. With the right encouragement, perhaps she'd not even want to go back to him.

"I can't believe he'd walk out on you to begin with," Gordon said softly.

"I feel like I let him," Hermione sniffed miserably. "I could have done something to make him stay but I didn't."

"You've not done anything wrong, Hermione," Gordon said softly. "You're wonderful and Potter just never appreciated it." He held her and couldn't believe how natural it felt---like they were made for each other.

Hermione wiped at her eyes again. "I just don't know what to do," she sobbed.

"You don't have to do anything," Gordon said, burying his head in her hair. He felt so wonderful being with her like this, he couldn't help what he did next. He pulled away from her and looked into her chestnut eyes. Leaning in, he kissed her forehead. "He'll never hurt you again, Hermione. I promise."

"Gordon..." Hermione felt a familiar unnerving feeling in her stomach at the intense look on his face. She pulled away carefully, dabbing at her eyes. Everything that had happened in the last few months flooded back into her head- Gordon almost kissing her, the look on his face when he saw her in the lingerie… Harry's suspicions, the situation with Skylar… it all suddenly made Hermione feel uneasy and dirty, like Gordon had somehow charmed her to see only what he wanted her to see.

'What if Harry was right…' she thought. 'You know he is, otherwise he wouldn't have pursued this.' A voice spoke in her head.

Gordon couldn't believe his stupidity. He'd been too bold...too soon. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean anything..."

"I'm just upset," Hermione lied, still feeling unnerved. "You didn't do anything wrong."

He smiled, but still felt as if he'd acted too soon. But, he reminded himself, the fact that she was pulling away from him now didn't really mean anything. She was just going to need time to heal, but Potter wasn't going to be an issue. She'd be free.

"How about I take you for a coffee to cheer you up?" he suggested. "Or I could walk you home..."

"I think I'm just going to go home myself after class," Hermione said quietly. "Thank you though."

"Sure," he said, "but we've got this period free. We're just supposed to work on our projects. If you wanted to go on home, I'd understand."

"No I'll stay and work," Hermione said, sniffing back her tears. "Help keep my mind off everything." she forced a smile on her face. 'And help me try to figure my thoughts out,' she added to herself.

"Good," he said squeezing her hand. "Let's get to it then."

*** *** ***

Robert Granger was going over some charts for a surgical consult he had later that afternoon when his secretary buzzed him to let him know he had a visitor.

"Who is it?" Robert asked, rubbing his eyes. It had already been a long morning and he'd really been glad to have the peace and quiet.

"Harry Potter," his secretary answered. "He says its important."

Robert leaned back in his chair. "Send him in."

Harry stepped in, feeling quite unsure about what he was doing here. "Hello sir," he said nervously.

"Harry," Robert said, standing up and motioning toward a chair. "What brings you by?"

"I wanted to have a word with you," Harry replied. "Is this a bad time?"

Robert looked at his watch. "I'm actually quite busy, Harry. Are you sure this can't wait?"

Harry's knee bounced nervously. "I should only be a minute..." he said, his resolve faltering by the second.

"Okay," Robert said. He looked across his desk at the young man who looked as if he was struggling to think of what to say. "Harry?"

Harry had so many things he wanted to tell this man but couldn't think of how to phrase them. "I love Hermione," he said, the words bubbling over before he could stop them.

Robert stared at him. "I know that, Harry."

"Right," Harry twisted his jumper nervously. "Well... last night... Hermione and me, well... we had a big fight."

Robert nodded. "All couples fight, Harry. Elinore and I can still have some amazing rows and we've been married for over twenty years."

"Well..." Harry twisted his sleeve even more. "I sort of walked out and stayed out all night."

"Harry, if you've come here to tell me you've cheated on my daughter--," Robert started.

"I'd never do that!" Harry's head shot up. "I stayed in a bloody all night diner and drank coffee that tasted like sludge."

"Okay," Robert said slowly. "I still don't understand what any of this has to do with me, Harry."

"I've sort of messed this all up..." Harry began. "I want... I want to ask Hermione to marry me. But now I don't know if she will... I don't know how to begin making things up to her."

"From time to time, we men all mess...pardon me, but did you just say you wanted to marry Hermione?" Robert asked.

Harry nodded resolutely. "I want to marry her... and I guess it's a bit old fashioned but I wanted to ask your permission first."

Robert nodded and a nearly deafening silence filled the room.

"I can remember a day years back when I went to ask Elinore's dad if I could marry her," Robert finally said. "I must have thrown up six times on the way to her house. He took me aside, and I told him why I was there. I'd...I'd never been so nervous in my entire life. And he asked me one question. Do you have any idea what that question was?"

Harry shook his head, positive that Robert was two seconds away from laughing in his face and kicking him out of his office.

"He asked me why I wanted to marry her," Robert said, laughing at the recollection of it. "You ever get that feeling that taking a test that you didn't study for? That was how I felt when he asked me that question. I wondered what the right answer could be. He just stared at me, as if he was waiting for me to screw up. So, I looked him straight in the eye and I said, 'I love your daughter with all my heart and I don't deserve her, but for some reason, she seems to love me too'."

"And he liked that," Harry's grip on the chair was relaxing.

"Well, he never said whether he did or didn't," Robert said with a wry smile. "But he didn't kill me on the spot so I figured I had his blessing."

Harry smiled too. "That was a good answer."

"It was the truth," Robert said simply. "So, Harry. I think I'd like to ask you the same question. Why do you want to marry my daughter?"

Harry bit his lower lip for a moment. "Even though I haven't even known her for a year... Hermione just feels like another part of me. I feel as if I've known her for a lot longer. I'd die before letting anything happen to her. I love her so much that knowing we're not happy with each other right now makes me..." Harry slumped back in the chair.

"Empty?" Robert asked.

"Yeah," Harry replied. "I feel empty... and a bit numb."

"I don't know what you fought about and I don't need to know," Robert said wisely. "But my daughter has a bit of a stubborn streak in her...Elinore thinks she gets it from me."

That made Harry smile. "I'm not going to say anything about that," he replied, making Robert laugh.

"Good answer," Robert said chuckling. "I know I haven't always been fair to you and I apologise for that, Harry. But when you ask me whether or not you can marry Hermione....well, I just have one thing to say about that."

"What's that?" Harry's heartbeat sped up again as a lump wedged itself in his throat.

Robert pushed back from his chair and stood. He looked Harry straight in the eyes, a serious expression on his face. Slowly, he extended his hand and grinned. "Welcome to the family, son."