Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Thank you to those who have read and reviewed. I know you might not think it means much to leave a couple of sentences to let us know what you think, but it means a great deal to both of us. It lets us know if you like our story. So, if you do read, please leave us a line to two to let us know what you thought of the chapter. Please? Please? Please?

Hermione came back to the table, breathless from another round of dancing with Harry. "This is so much fun!" she said enthusiastically. Even Cho seemed to be having a good time, despite sitting in the corner with Neville all night.

Ron grinned at his best friend's girlfriend. "This has been a great night," he agreed, turning to Luna.

"I wish I could go out there and join you guys, but I'm getting so big Neville can't even put his arms around me all the way," Cho said giggling.

"That's not stopping me from trying," Neville kissed the side of her head. "I'm having a good time just sitting here with you."

"Once you have the baby and are able to dance again we'll watch it for a night so you and Neville can do this," Hermione promised as they all sat down, her on Harry's lap since there weren't enough chairs.

"Let the record show that Hermione volunteered us for that," Harry said, resting his chin on Hermione's shoulder. "And therefore when this babysitting occurs, she will be the one changing the dirty nappies, not me."

Hermione elbowed him as he grinned and squeezed her sides, making her jump. A waitress came by and they all ordered another round of drinks. Ron turned to Luna and they started snogging again as they had been doing most of the night.

"Get a room!" Harry called to Ron.

"Sod off Potter," Ron replied, barely taking his lips off Luna's. "Come on, let's go back out there and show this idiot a thing or two," he grabbed her hand.

Luna waved goodbye to her friends as she followed Ron out onto the dance floor.

Cho again looked around at the crowded club and felt an overwhelming sense of nostalgia come over her. She, Harry, Neville and Ron as well as a number of their Hogwarts' friends had spent many a night in this club right after graduation. Even though she'd only danced one slow dance with Neville, she was still glad just to be out and with her friends. "This place hasn't changed much, has it?" she asked.

"Nope," Neville replied. "Maybe just us," he grinned.

Harry, Cho and Neville began to relate stories about past trips to this club and others like it. Noticing Hermione being a little quiet, Harry pulled her closer to him and wrapped his arms around her waist. "You're cousin and Seamus sure seem to be hitting it off rather well, don't they?" Harry asked Hermione, trying to pull her into the conversation.

"They definitely are," Hermione said with a smile. "They haven't come off the floor once. I'm so glad for her, especially after the whole Draco Malfoy situation back at Hillsdale. Seamus really brought her out of what was turning into a big slump."

Cho grimaced at the mention of Draco Malfoy. "It's funny how she and I were both used by the git and we ended up better than we were before because she found Seamus and I found Neville. I guess in some way we might owe him a tiny bit of gratitude."

Harry stared at his friend with his mouth wide open.

"I said a little bit," Cho said quickly.

Hermione laughed at Harry's open jaw. "You're letting in flies love," she joked.

"Just thought Cho might be going a little soft in the head," Harry said, looking solemnly at his friend.

"No," Cho said shaking her head. "I was just trying to say that it took being hurt by someone like that to make me understand and see what real love was supposed to be." She took Neville's hand and rested her head on his shoulder.

Neville grinned widely as he did every time Cho said she loved him. He still found it hard to believe that a girl as beautiful as Cho Chang could ever even look twice at him, much less fall in love with him. "I'm the lucky one here you know," he said.

Hermione smiled at Harry. "Want to get back out there," she asked, turning so she could wind her arms around his neck. She kissed his ear as her fingers played in the hair at his nape.

"I'd actually like to take you back home right now and have my way with you," he said only half joking.

"Maybe later lover," Hermione whispered licentiously in his ear. "For now... let's just pretend we're doing that."

He grinned as she got to her feet just then and crooked her finger at him beckoning him to follow her onto the dance floor.

"Show him how it's done, Hermione," Cho said winking at her.

Hermione pulled him out, pressing her body up against his. Harry grinned at her as his arms wound around her waist as they began to grind. "I love dancing like this with you," Hermione had to shout in his ear.

"You do, do you?" he said into her ear before bending her down precariously low to the ground before quickly bringing her back up to face him. The combination of the couple of drinks he'd had and the feel of her body against his and the pulsating sound of the music was loosening up his own inhibitions and he knew from the look on Hermione's face, it was doing the same to her.

"Mmmmhmmmm..." she murmured lazily, planting a series of soft kisses along his jaw. "I want you so bad right now Potter," Hermione said.

"Hermione," he said breathlessly, right before her lips were on his. They usually weren't ones to engage in such a public display of affection, but she didn't seem to care as he felt her hands go underneath his shirt and he felt her hands on the skin of his back.

Hermione let out a loud moan that was lost in the steadily beating music as Harry pushed his fingers into the fabric of her flimsy top she'd borrowed from Lavender. "Merlin... please do that again..."

Harry was about to do just that when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He thought it was Hermione, but that couldn't be as he knew both her hands were on his waist. Abruptly, he stopped what he was doing to his girlfriend and turned ready to tell off whomever it was interrupting them, but his anger disappeared as he took in the person before him. "Isabella!" he exclaimed.

"Hello Harry," she smiled. "Long time no see."

"I thought you were in Spain," he said. "You're still modelling, aren't you?"

"I am," the ice blonde woman sent a perfect smile Harry's way. "I just thought I'd Apparate in for the weekend and visit some friends."

Harry felt another tap on his shoulder this time from behind. He turned slowly around to see a somewhat put out Hermione looking at him expectantly. She obviously wanted an introduction. "Right," he said, giving his girlfriend a smile. "Um, Isabella Marconi, this is Hermione Granger."

"Lovely to meet you," Hermione said with a small smile. She felt like an absolute hag next to this woman!

"Nice to meet you, too," Isabella said dismissively. She linked arms with Harry. "Harry and I go way back, don't we, Harry?"

"I'm sure you do," Hermione said, sliding her arms around Harry's waist.

"So I don't see a ring on your finger," Isabella said flirtatiously pointedly ignoring Hermione. "I take it no woman's scooped you up yet."

"This woman has," Harry pulled out of Isabella's grasp. "Hermione and I just moved in together."

Hermione fought to contain her glee as the smile slipped from Isabella's face.

"Oh," Isabella said, mustering her smile back. "I never thought I'd see the day when Harry Potter would settle for just one woman. You must be quite special."

"She is," Harry replied, squeezing Hermione's shoulders.

Isabella's fixed smile faltered a bit, but deciding to change her tact, she turned her full attention back to Harry. "The reason I came over here was that I was hoping you'd dance with me one time," she asked coyly. "I'm sure your girlfriend wouldn't mind."

Hermione wanted to say yes she did mind but Harry only smiled and slipped away from her. "I'm sure it's fine, right?" he asked. "I'll be right back." without waiting for an answer he and Isabella went further into the crowd and Hermione was left to slink back to the table where Cho and Neville had been rejoined by Ron and Luna. "Okay... can any of you tell me who Isabella Marconi is?" she asked, sitting down hard.

Cho groaned and exchanged a look with Ron. "Don't tell me she's here, is she?"

Ron shuddered and curled his lip. "I thought I saw her out there but I was hoping we would be spared ever seeing her again."

"That doesn't answer my question," Hermione tapped a fingernail impatiently on the table.

Cho avoided looking at Hermione. "She and Harry used to sort of, you know, date," she explained.

"Sort of date?" Hermione asked pointedly.

"They didn't really date, Cho," Ron said with a laugh. "They were more about shag-"

Luna hit Ron sharply on the arm and Cho glared at him.

"Oh," Hermione said quietly.

Cho put a hand on Hermione's shoulder. "Hermione, Isabella Marconi is a complete and utter cow. I'm serious...she's nothing. And she's not all that pretty. In fact, I think she's starting to get wrinkles. Must be all that sunbathing she does."

"I guess," Hermione said. "If that's so, she's the best looking cow I've ever seen. And Harry acted like a big goof... I mean... he acknowledged me and everything but he was staring at her like he'd never seen her before."

Cho gave everyone a look and suddenly Ron and Luna were back on the dance floor and Neville was heading for the loo. She gave Hermione a sympathetic smile. "He loves you, Hermione. You know that."

"I know... but I don't look anything like that." Hermione replied, suddenly miserable.

"Okay," Cho said, resigned to telling Hermione the whole truth about Isabella. "What do you want to know?"

"How long were they together?" Hermione asked. She and Harry really hadn't discussed their sexual pasts (she hadn't had one until she met Harry) and now after seeing what Harry's ex girlfriend looked like she couldn't help her curiosity. "What... what did they do?" she asked, fearful of the answer.

"They met the first year we were at Hillsdale," Cho explained. "She was on a photo shoot that some magazine wanted to do. She set her sights on Harry right away and he was 18 years old at the time, Hermione. He was a walking hormone. They weren't in love or anything like that; it was more of a physical type relationship."

"But they slept together a lot?" Hermione asked dully. "It sure looks like he was infatuated by her..." she stole a glance and to her dismay saw Harry and Isabella laughing like old friends.

Cho caught sight of them as well and felt the overwhelming urge to cast a bat-bogey hex on her best friend for doing this to Hermione. It should be Harry who was explaining his sordid past with Isabella to Hermione, not Cho. "He cared about her a great deal," Cho admitted. "But, it wasn't love. He was just...in awe of her, I think."

"Oh," Hermione said again. "We... you know... we don't really talk about who we used to date... it's just never seemed important until now."

"So what about you?" Cho asked, hoping to change the subject from Isabella and Harry. "Any exes that had you all smitten kitten?"

"Not really," Hermione shrugged. "Cho... be honest with me here. Are all Harry's exes like that? If so then what the bloody hell is he doing with me?"

"Um, because he loves you?" Cho suggested. "I've known him for a long time, Hermione. And I've never seen him be with anyone the way he is with you. And all his exes aren't like that. I'm certainly not."

"Neville said you two dated at Hogwarts," Hermione replied.

Cho nodded. "Not for very long, though. We were always better friends than we were anything else. I mean we did lose our virginity to each other---" When she saw the stricken look on Hermione's face her voice trailed off. She'd thought Harry would have told Hermione that.

Hermione felt like she'd been kicked in the stomach. First Isabella and now Cho? "I think I should go home," she said, her voice quivering.

"No, Hermione," Cho said quickly. "You don't have to go home. What happened between Harry and I was ages ago. We were fifteen and..." Cho's voice trailed off again as she realized she was only making this worse. And to top things off, Harry picked the absolute worst time to make his reappearance.

"Hey, beautiful," he said coming up behind Hermione. She pushed away from him and fled the club, glaring back over her shoulder. Harry turned back around. "What the hell was that all about?"

"Just go after her," Cho said angrily. "You are something else, you know that?"

"What did I do?" Harry was genuinely confused.

"Oh, I don't know," Cho said sarcastically. "Left her alone while you caught up with the ice princess maybe?"

Harry stared at her. "I was being friendly!"

"YOU were being a prat and you know it," Cho said. "So she came back to the table wanting answers and it was up to me to fill in the blanks for her. About everything."

"Shit..." Harry realised. "And you told her... you and me..."

"It slipped out," Cho admitted apologetically. "I thought you'd told her all about it."

"I meant to and with everything I completely forgot." Harry ran his hands through his hair. "Where did she say she was going?"

"Home," Cho answered. "What are you doing standing around here? Go after her."

Harry left instantly and headed towards their cottage. Luckily the club was close to Horizon Alley and he was home within five minutes. "Hermione," he called as he let himself in. "Hermione come down here and talk to me!"

Hermione had just changed out of her clothes and into her pyjamas when she heard the front door open. She heard Harry call to her, but she didn't answer.

"Hermione," Harry came into the bedroom. "Why did you leave the club?"

"I was tired," she said simply, not looking in his direction as she pulled back the duvet and slid inside the bed.

"Bull shit." Harry said, holding the cover back.

"Yeah," she said, grabbing the covers back and pulling them protectively around her. "And you'd know all about that, wouldn't you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Harry asked hotly. "Because I met up with someone whose company I once enjoyed? I don't see how that's such a bad thing!"

"That's rich!" Hermione said with a hollow laugh. "When the very same thing happened to me when I met up with Gordon in Flourish & Blotts you acted very rude and childish!"

"Yes but you didn't see me storming out like a baby," Harry snapped.

"Yeah, well I never slept with Gordon, now did I?" she retorted.

"How do I know that for sure?" Harry yelled.

Hermione angrily pulled the duvet off of her and got out of bed and rounded on him. "You've got to be kidding me! You knew you were my first. You think I'd lie about something like that?"

Harry glared angrily at her and was about to say something hurtful when he realised how absurd this argument was. "No... I don't." he sat down hard on the edge of the bed.

"And why didn't you tell me about Cho?" Hermione asked, not about to let this go. "I asked you when we first got together how many people you'd been with and you said three, including me. Why didn't you tell me it was Cho when I asked you?"

"Because I didn't think it was that important!" Harry rose back up from the bed. "Why is it such a huge deal? We were FIFTEEN YEARS OLD!"

"Not important?" Hermione repeated. "Not important? How would you feel if I had shagged… Ron when we were fifteen years old and I never told you about it?"

Harry glared at her. "You want to know about it? Fine. Cho and I decided to try dating because we were so close. And then we thought about getting physical. After that, we decided to have sex with one another because at least that way our first times would be with someone we care about and not something meaningless! Is that what you wanted to know?" he finished with a shout.

Hermione backed away from him and sank down on the bed. She honestly didn't know what to think. It was bad enough knowing that Harry had been intimate with someone like Isabella. Isabella wasn't someone she knew. She wasn't someone she thought of as a friend. And now someone who had known Harry as intimately as she had was living with them. She knew that Cho loved Neville. Hermione knew that Harry loved her. But now things just seemed...strange.

"Look..." Harry sat down next to her, his voice softer. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you it was Cho. But I really, honestly didn't think it was a big deal." he put an arm around her and was relieved when she didn't pull away. "But it's you I love now. Only you."

She didn't answer him right away. Truth be told, she was still shaken by all she'd learned tonight. A part of her wished she could go back to earlier that evening when she'd been blissfully unaware about all of it. "I love you, too," Hermione finally whispered.

Harry let out a relieved breath. "Come here," he said, pulling her into his arms. "Cho is in my past. We are absolutely nothing but friends now Hermione." He kissed the side of her head. "And Isabella... she never meant much to me... nowhere near how I feel about you. How I'll always feel about you."

"You mean that, don't you?" she asked, looking into his green eyes. A single tear fell down her cheek. "I'm sorry for reacting the way I did. Tonight, I just...found out that I don't know you as well as I thought I did."

"Yes you do," Harry cupped her face. "There are just a few things in our past that will come to light... but we'll work through it all Hermione." He kissed her gently. "I promise we will."

She smiled as he sat back on the bed and she cuddled into his arms. "That's another one to check off the list," she said. She didn't need to turn around to know that he was wondering what she was talking about.

"What?" Harry was confused.

"Our first fight since we moved in together," Hermione said simply. "Unless you want to count that first day when you thought that hideous green chair should go in the sitting room."

"That was my favourite chair," Harry pushed his lower lip out.

She turned and raised her eyebrow at him. "Now who's being a baby? I didn't make you throw it away. I just told you to put it in the attic."

Harry grinned suddenly. "You're right," he kissed her quickly before getting up to shed his clothes. "And it looks great up there too," he sniggered.

Hermione laughed as she slid back under duvet. "You may need to have your glasses checked," she teased.

"You may need your eyes checked," Harry said smugly. "Good night," he turned on his side. She still didn't realise that he along with Robert as witness had used magic to recover the chair and it was now sitting nicely in the sitting room.

She tapped on his shoulder. "There's something else we haven't done yet, either. And I really think it needs to be checked off the list, too."

"What's that?" Harry yawned.

"You know I've heard that when couples have fights, they have to have makeup sex," Hermione said, feigning a yawn of her own. "Of course, if you're not up for it," she said, turning on her own side so her back was facing his. "You're not up for it."

"Maybe tomorrow night," Harry replied, burying his face in the pillow. "I'm so tired right now…"

Hermione didn't respond. She'd thought he'd have jumped at the chance to have makeup sex. They'd had one of the worst fights they'd ever had. Yet, he didn't seem to be into it now.

A nagging voice in her head reminded her of how into her he'd been on the dance floor that evening until Isabella had interrupted them. Hermione had never given much importance to looks and had always been one to think that it was what was inside that counted more. Tonight, her theory had faced quite a test.

If she compared herself to Harry's other two lovers, she felt as if she came in a distant third. She wasn't a classic beauty like Isabella or an exotic one like Cho.

Harry rolled over and kissed her then. "I promise tomorrow we'll make up properly. I'm just so damned tired now…" he pulled her into his arms. "I love you Hermione…" he nuzzled her ear.

"Love you," she said softly. Harry fell quickly asleep, but Hermione was wide awake. She felt as if she'd gone through a whirlwind of emotions tonight. She'd gotten some answers, but why was she left with more questions…about herself, about Harry and about where they were heading. For the first time in a long time, she didn't feel so optimistic.

*** *** ***

The next morning Harry sat with Cho in the kitchen- him with coffee and her with some pumpkin juice. Harry hadn't said much since walking into the kitchen and the silence combined with her increasing curiosity was getting the best of her. She had come back with Neville last night to hear the tail end of their fight and was worried about her friends.

"So?" Cho finally asked as she buttered her toast.

Harry looked up from his newspaper and pulled a confused face. "So…?" he asked, drawing out the word and acting as if he had no idea what she wanted.

Impatiently, she grabbed the newspaper from his hands and carelessly tossed it onto the table.

"I wasn't reading that or anything," Harry said with a laugh.

"Oh sod the paper!" Cho hissed. "Are you going to tell me what happened last night when you ran after Hermione or do I have to drag it out of you?"

Harry sighed. "I think we're alright. We had a really horrible row, but I think we're okay. She knows everything now. For some reason I can tell she doesn't think she measures up to you or Isabella, which is ridiculous."

"That is silly," Cho answered. "Hermione is gorgeous."

"I agree," Harry replied. "But for some reason last night really shook her up…"

Cho shook her head. "Harry... you went off and danced with your ex. Your very stunning ex that is. Hermione looked like she'd seen a ghost when we saw you two laughing and having a grand old time out there on the dance floor."

"It was one dance, Cho!" Harry retorted. "And we were just catching up. I hadn't seen her in a while…it was completely innocent."

"That's just not what it looked like, is all I'm saying," Cho rested a hand on her stomach. "If I were Hermione that would be a kick in the face for me too."

"She can't honestly think that I'd throw away what we have to go back with someone I haven't seen in a couple of years and who I never loved in the first place," Harry said, sitting back in his chair.

"I'm sure she doesn't," Cho said, sipping her juice. "And I'm also sure you told her that, right?"

"Yeah," Harry answered. "Well, sort of...I mean I told Hermione that she was the only one that I loved."

"Good," Cho replied. "What happened after that?" she asked, not really thinking of what Harry's answer might be.

He sat back and sighed. "Well… and this makes me the bloody idiot… she started talking about make up sex and you know what my response was? Maybe tomorrow night…" he shook his head disgustedly.

"Why did you say that?" Cho asked, trying not to laugh.

"I was tired. Fighting with her exhausted me." Harry said. "I hate every minute of it."

Cho opened her mouth to say something when Hermione breezed into the kitchen. "Good morning," she said brightly.

"Morning," Harry got up to kiss her but she only pecked him on the cheek.

"I'm off… I'll be out with Lavender all day, don't wait up." Hermione said. "Bye Harry, bye Cho." And like that, she was gone out the back door.

She had gone and rang her cousin, effectively waking her out of sleep. Lavender had grumbled at first but when she heard why Hermione was calling she was out of bed like a rocket.

"So tell me again why you're doing this?" Lavender asked as they were sitting in a cafe. "I mean… you already have your guy."

Hermione stirred her rapidly cooling tea. "You should have seen him Lav. When that Isabella girl was there Harry turned into this stumbling idiot. And then I find out about Cho…"

"That is a bit awkward… but Hermione, if he told you about it then he's being honest and you have nothing to worry about." Lavender tried to be reassuring. "Besides… she's head over heels for Neville. It's so obvious that they're in love. He's even saving up to get them a place to live. He's saving up so when she has her baby, which he wasn't even responsible for to begin with, it will have a good home!"

"You're right," Hermione sighed. "I just… can't shake this feeling. I've never felt truly inadequate about my looks until last night."

"You still have nothing to worry about." Lavender said. "Besides… everyone, and I do mean everyone, knows what a bloody bitch Isabella Marconi is. Apparently she's one of the worst models to work with, except that she's also one of the best."

"Well Harry certainly didn't seem to think so." Hermione replied. "That's why I rang you up."

Lavender looked at her cousin. "Hermione, I won't lie and say I've never thought about this, but… making you over isn't going to make Harry think any better or worse of you."

"I know that. I don't want a makeover… I do like how I look. I just need help getting myself more put together… both for Harry and I just want to look more professional. And at least when Harry's confronted by some other gorgeous ex girlfriend he won't have such a mess by his side." Hermione begged. "Please Lavender… please."

*** Later that Evening ***

Harry was getting worried- Hermione had been gone for hours now and she hadn't owled him all day. Cho was also worried, Harry had almost had to put a freezing charm on her to keep her from pacing around the room behind him.

"Where could she be?" Harry asked.

"Harry will you please calm down?" Neville asked. "You're making me seasick. I'm sure Hermione is fine- she's a grown woman remember?"

Harry was about to retort when they all heard the front door open. Hermione was standing in the living room a moment later, Lavender behind her.

"Where were you?" Harry asked.

"Just out," Hermione shrugged. Due to the increasing cold she had her cloak hood pulled up and the material wrapped tightly around her. "I didn't realise that was a crime."

"It's not," Harry answered. "I was just worried when I didn't hear from you all day."

Hermione softened at the concern in his eyes. "I'm fine," she leaned up and kissed him. "Lavender and I just did some shopping."

Cho patted Neville's knee. "I'm in the mood for some ice cream," she said, struggling to get up. "Lavender?"

"Sure," Lavender replied. The three of them went into the kitchen, leaving Harry and Hermione alone.

"I'm sorry I didn't ring or owl you," Hermione apologised. "We were just in and out of the stores and doing different things." She pushed back her hood with a slightly shaking hand.

"Hermione…" Harry stared. "Your hair…" The normally wild bushy hair was gone. In its place was a smooth flowing mane with some slight waves that hung almost to the middle of her back.

She nervously took off her cloak and set it on the arm of the sofa. "Do you like it?" she tried to ask lightly.

"You look incredible," Harry murmured. "Not that you weren't stunning before. What made you do this?"

Hermione let him run his fingers through the locks, liking how easily they slid through now. "I want to look more professional," she replied, which was the half truth. "So I got some new robes and things with Lavender today."

"Sounds like you had a nice day out," Harry replied.

"We did," Hermione said, setting one of her bags down on top of her cloak. "Listen Harry… I want to apologise again for the way I acted last night."

"No," Harry shook his head. "I shouldn't have gone off and danced with Isabella. And I should have told you about her and Cho before."

"It's all right," Hermione raised her hand. "I overreacted… I overreacted very much. You were just being yourself," her fingers curved over his cheek. "Your very sweet self."

Harry grasped her hand that was touching his face. "I just didn't want you to think that I didn't want to make love to you last night either," he said quietly. "I hate arguing with you and it tires me out."

Hermione smiled. "All is forgiven," she said, rising up to kiss him. "I had a lot of time to think today and I've got no reason to be jealous of anyone."

"That's right," Harry grinned. "You couldn't get rid of me if you tried Granger."

"That goes double for you Potter," Hermione grinned. "I'm here to stay."

Harry's arms slid around her waist as he pulled her close. She clung to his shoulders, burying her face in his neck as his hands rubbed her back. "Are you ready for that make up sex now?" she asked mischievously.

"More than you know," Harry grinned. "But I think we'll have to wait until everyone leaves."

*** *** ***

Lavender left Harry and Hermione's still feeling a little concerned for her cousin. Hermione had always lectured Lavender in the past about how she shouldn't change who she was to fit the mould of what some man wanted. Lavender, of course, had always dismissed Hermione's lectures, but privately, she admired her cousin for it.

Lavender had always done what her boyfriend at the time wanted her to do. If he thought she should wear her hair down, she'd wear it down. If he liked sport, she'd pretend she liked it, too. She never felt as if she was being herself with any of them.

For the first time that she could remember, she was going out with someone who seemed to genuinely care about what she thought and wanted to know what she wanted to do. If she didn't want to do something, he didn't force her into it or pout until he got his way. He was amazing and she didn't know what to make of it.

They'd made plans to meet at a Muggle pub near her aunt and uncle's home. She walked into the pub and saw him sitting at the bar and watching the television in the corner. She came up behind him and put her hands over his eyes.

"Guess who?" she said.

"Lila?" Seamus grinned. "I knew that was you!"

Lavender took her hands off his eyes and hit him hard in the back.

"Ow!" Seamus rubbed the spot where she'd smacked him. "I was only kidding Lavender!"

"You better have been," she said, sitting down on a barstool beside him. "Sorry I'm a little late."

"Quite all right," Seamus leaned forward and gave her a quick kiss. "We can either eat here or somewhere else. You pick."

"This is fine," she said. "I'm actually exhausted. Hermione and I went all over London today shopping. And I'll deny this later, but I swear I actually got knackered shopping. I never thought I'd ever say that."

Seamus laughed. "From what I hear you're quite the shopping partner."

"Everyone has something they're good at," Lavender said simply. "You have your films and I have shopping...and designing. I guess that means I have two things I'm really good at."

Seamus grinned. "Aye, that you are," he squeezed her hand. "I thought maybe later we could get a film and take it back to my place to watch if you want to."

The smile on her face faltered a bit. Well, she was wondering when he'd start acting like a typical bloke and here he was, right on schedule. "Your place?" she asked. "You want me to go back with you to your place?"

"Sure," Seamus replied, not seeing the look on her face. "Or if it makes you feel more comfortable we can take it back to your aunt and uncle's."

"My aunt and uncle are out of town," Lavender said quietly. "Uncle Robert has a conference."

Seamus looked up at her for the first time since he'd asked her about seeing a movie. "What's wrong?" he asked in concern.

"Nothing," she said tersely and picked up a menu.

Seamus sighed and looked back at the bar. "What am I doing wrong here?" he asked.

"As if you didn't know," Lavender said, slamming the menu down on the bar.

"No, actually I don't," Seamus replied tightly. "Why don't' you tell me instead of making me guess, although you seem to like dangling me off the end of your line."

"Don't you turn this around on me!" she retorted. "You keep telling me that you're nothing like Draco Malfoy, but at least he didn't try to hide his intentions. Get a movie and go to your place? I'd have thought you could have been a little bit more original than that!"

Seamus felt himself growing angry with her for the first time. "You know what Lavender? You need to get over Malfoy. He's still got some sort of hold on you that you can't let go. And now you're transferring it all on me." He brought his face to hers. "I've done nothing here but care about you and treat you like I thought you deserved and this is where it got me." he reached in his pocket and tossed a few quid on the bar. "If you want it this way, then fine. I'm sorry, I really am, but I won't sit and be insulted this way."

Lavender stared at him. "Y-you really wanted to just go back to your place and watch a movie? You didn't have anything else planned?" she asked, her tone still guarded, but much softer.

"No!" Seamus snapped. "I'm not about doing that sort of thing!" He lowered his voice. "I'm not into sleeping around Lavender. I would only do that with a girl if I was head over heels in love with her."

A part of her wondered if he was just telling her what she wanted to hear, but when she looked into his eyes, she could see he was sincere. Why was she so willing to believe the worst of him? Why couldn't she get over what Draco Malfoy had done to her? "I'm sorry," she finally said.

Seamus still stood there, wondering what she was thinking. "Are you?" he countered. "I really can only take so much Lavender."

"I know," she said, looking around to see that a few of the patrons were watching them. She took hold of his arm and led him over to a table in the back. They sat down and for a few moments, neither of them said anything.

"What?" Seamus asked tiredly. "What are we doing here?"

"I'm wondering where someone like you came from," she said honestly. "I've never had someone care about what I wanted to do or listened to what I had to say. You seem to care about how I feel and what I want and I'm not used to that."

Seamus looked at her squarely. "I've always treated a girl well," he said softly. "I'm not a saint, but I believe in respect most of all."

Lavender smiled shyly at him. "I feel like such an idiot! I haven't treated you fairly at all. The whole time you and I have been getting to know each other, I've wasted so much time trying to find some flaw. I've been waiting for you to act like a typical guy. I've missed out on enjoying spending time with you." She sighed and tapped her fingers absently on the table. "I wouldn't blame you if you decided to chuck me," she said looking away from him.

"I wouldn't do that," Seamus replied, taking her hand in his. "Look... I really do like you Lavender. I care about you very much. I'm not perfect either but you have to trust me or this relationship will go absolutely nowhere."

"I do trust you," she whispered.

"You do?" he asked.

"Yes," she said truthfully. "And to prove how much, I'll even let you choose the movie tonight." She looked up at him and tried to read the expression on his face. "If you still want to that is," she said quickly. "We've got popcorn back at the house."

Seamus finally smiled. "It's a date," he said.