Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Well we're getting down to it- after this only two chapters left, so a week from tonight, you guys will have the whole story! Yay! Hehehe

Thanks for all your reviews so far you guys- you've all really been incredible! We're glad you all enjoyed the proposal in the last chapter, but the final bit of drama starts in this one, so be ready! Gordon's back with a vengeance!

Lavender looked around the room. Half of the family members there were ones she hadn't seen in years. "Aunt Elinore, did you tell Hermione that everyone was coming?" she whispered.

"Not exactly," Elinore admitted. "I just made a few phone calls and it kind of blew up from there."

"I guess," Lavender said. She felt sorry for Harry. He had no idea what he was coming into here.

Elinore smiled, but that smile quickly faded as a little boy ran past them carrying a box of crayons. Nicholas Granger was five-years old and an absolute menace. He was the son of Robert's brother Steven.

"Nicholas! Don't you dare write on my walls!" Elinore called out.

Lavender turned the other way so her aunt wouldn't see her laughing. She spied her boyfriend on the other side of the room talking to her grandmother.

"Lavender why don't you go and save Seamus from Grandma Millie. She's probably talking his ear off and I really need to keep an eye on Nicholas," Elinore said, already scanning the room for her nephew.

"All right," she said, already halfway across the room. "Hi Grandma," she slid in next to Seamus. "What are you all talking about here?" Seamus shot her a grateful look.

"Your young man here was just telling me about that resort you went to this past summer," Millie said. "And I was telling him about that hotel I worked at when I was a girl."

"Oh right," Lavender said. "Grandma, Nicholas was running by here and he was laughing because he said he managed to get by without giving you a hug hello. I think you should go prove him wrong," she smiled winningly.

Millie grinned. "That little boy is a charmer. It was nice chatting with you, Seamus."

She stood up and walked away and Seamus shook his head. "I see where you get your motor mouth from," he said teasingly.

"Hey," Lavender frowned. "I can easily get her back here you know."

"Sorry," he said quickly. "I didn't know you had such a large family."

"Sometimes I forget too," she giggled. "Honestly, I haven't seen some of my relatives in about two years. Most of them don't know about me and Hermione being witches," she lowered her voice to a whisper.

"I can understand that," Seamus said. "After all, I'm half and half. Most of my dad's side of the family has no idea I'm a wizard."

"Well... my mum's side is where my magic blood came from. I'm half and half too. Hermione's completely Muggle born though. I think they told her grandmother on her mum's side, but she died a few years back."

Seamus nodded. "It's nearly three now. I hope Harry's ready to meet the family."

"I don't think he knows how many people are here," Lavender said in the same low voice.

"If he did, he probably wouldn't come," Seamus joked.

"I wouldn't blame him," Lavender said, jumping to her feet as the doorbell rang. "I'll get it!" she called.

On the front steps, Hermione smiled and squeezed Harry's hand. "Relax, it's just my parents and Lavender," she said. "We've gotten together with them loads of times."

"I know but this time we're engaged," Harry said.

Hermione opened her mouth to respond, but the door opened and Lavender quickly stepped outside. She closed the door behind her.

"Lavender?" Hermione asked confused.

"I just wanted you guys to be prepared," Lavender said. "Hermione, your mum invited most of the family over to meet Harry."

Hermione laughed. "You're kidding, right?"

"I wish I was," Lavender said. "And yeah... Harry, so you know... they don't know about the Wizarding World. So you'd best be creative about what you're going to say."

"No reason to be nervous, eh?" Harry glared at Hermione.

Hermione frowned at him. "Don't look at me! I had no idea my mum was doing this!"

"She really only meant to have a few people but you know how things spread through the family," Lavender said to Hermione.

Hermione nodded. "Okay, we can do this, right?"

"I guess..." Harry seemed less convinced. "Thanks for the warning at least."

Hermione squeezed his hand as they followed Lavender into the house. Almost as soon as they walked inside, people descended upon them. Grandma Millie engulfed Harry in a huge bear hug.

"Hello..." Harry choked out. He looked to Hermione for help.

"Grandma," Hermione said trying not to laugh. "You're going to squeeze Harry to death!"

"It's very nice to meet you," the colour slowly returned to Harry's face.

"It's lovely to meet you, too," Grandma Millie said, tears flowing down her cheeks. She turned her attention to Hermione. "My sweet Hermione! I can't believe you're getting married!"

"Hi Grandma," Hermione hugged her. "It's a surprise to me too. It's still sinking in!"

Elinore broke through the crowd and smiled at Harry. "There's my future son-in-law!"

Harry smiled at her, glad for a more familiar face. "Good to see you," he gave her a hug.

"Good to see you," she said warmly. She turned to Hermione. "Let me see the ring!"

Hermione grinned at Harry and held out her left hand for inspection. "Isn't it gorgeous?" she asked.

"It's beautiful, sweetheart," Elinore said admiring it. "Good job, Harry!"

"Thanks," Harry replied, sliding an arm around his fiancée.

A rather gruff looking elderly gentleman came toward them. Hermione whispered in Harry's ear, "That's my grandfather on my mum's side. If you think my dad was scary, wait until you meet him."

Harry visibly paled as Hermione hugged the elderly man. "Hi," Harry offered his hand.

"This him?" the man said, without a smile.

"I'm Hermione's fiancé, Harry," His hand was still held up in front of him.

The man finally shook Harry's hand. "Malcolm Brown."

"It's very nice to meet you sir," Harry said, swallowing the lump in his throat.

"Elinore didn't tell me what it was that you did for a living," Malcolm said gruffly. "How exactly do you plan on supporting my granddaughter?"

"Grandpa!" Hermione exclaimed, mortified.

"I'm... in law enforcement." Harry said, which wasn't exactly a lie. "I'm in training at the moment."

Malcolm nodded. "You make a decent living at that?"

Hermione put her head in her hands. "Yes, Grandpa. He does quite well. You're going to scare him off if you keep this up."

"It's all right," Harry said, finding a foothold. "Right now it's not the best, but I have quite an inheritance left to me by my parents and then my godfather. It helps while I'm still training and Hermione's still in school."

Malcolm stared at Harry for a few more moments before just walking away.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said. "If it makes you feel any better, he scares my dad half to death, too."

"That's a pretty amazing feat," Harry muttered.

"Everyone else is pretty much harmless," she said reassuringly.

"All right," Harry squeezed her hand. "Suppose I should get used to all these faces... I've never seen such a big family before, aside from Ron's that is."

"I haven't seen most of them in quite some time," Hermione commented. "Be on your toes for a little boy named Nicholas. He's an absolute terror."

"That one?" Harry asked as a small blur tore by them, pushing Hermione into his side.

"That would be him," Hermione laughed. She watched as Harry took in the various members of her family. "Feel free to back out on me anytime."

"Right," Harry grinned at her. "Couldn't leave you if I tried, you know."

"Good answer," she said, kissing his cheek. "There's my dad!"

"Let's go say hi," Harry took her hand again.

Hermione led Harry over to her father, who gave her a hug and a peck on the cheek.

"Congratulations, sweetheart," Robert said, smiling at her. "And to you as well, Harry."

"Thank you," Harry shook his hand. "And thanks for the pep talk the other day."

"Good to see it worked out," Robert said. "Did you meet Malcolm yet?"

"Yes," Harry answered. "I don't think he likes me very much."

"I don't think he cares too much for me, either," Robert said with a laugh. "I try and stay away from him as much as I can."

"Right," Harry grinned. "I'll keep that in mind."

Hermione surprised them both by giving them both a group hug. She'd just been so touched by the friendly banter going back and forth between the two most important men in her life.

"I think she's getting emotional," Harry teased. "Is that a tear I see Hermione?"

"No," she said softly, letting them go. "I just had something in my eye."

"Uh huh," Harry said.

Robert exchanged an amused look with Harry, that didn't go unnoticed by Hermione. "So I guess this means that now you'll be teaming up with each other to give me a hard time?" she asked.

"Probably," Harry joked.

"I'm just glad I'll finally have someone to balance things out a bit," Robert said with a grin. "I was pretty much alone in the Estrogen Ocean with Elinore, Hermione and Lavender."

Harry laughed loudly. "That's what it's like whenever Lavender comes over. Seamus and I just try to stay out of their way. It'll probably get worse now as they plan out the wedding."

"Speaking of which, Lavender and Elinore went out first thing this morning to buy the latest bridal magazines," Robert said, rolling in his eyes.

"Oh no," Harry said. "They're starting already?"

"What's wrong with that?" Hermione had her hands on her hips.

"You've only been engaged a day," Robert pointed out.

"That may be true, but you still have to plan," Hermione said defensively. "I remember how Cho was when she and Neville were planning their wedding. She was so organized. I hope that ours can go as smoothly as theirs did and it won't if we don't start planning now."

"Well sweetheart," Robert began. "Cho's wedding was also quite small. Your mother isn't about to let you have a tiny wedding."

"I wouldn't think so considering how many people are in the house at the moment," Hermione mused.

"What's this I hear about a small wedding?" Elinore joined them. "Hermione..."

"W-we hadn't really settled on the size actually," Hermione stammered.

"Well don't go thinking it's going to be small," Elinore warned her.

"But-," Hermione tried to say, but her mother cut her off.

"None of that," Elinore said. "You're our only daughter and we have to spoil you sweetheart."

"Just don't go overboard," Hermione said, realising as she said it that her words were falling on deaf ears.

Lavender watched them from across the room. She was happy for Harry and Hermione, almost deliriously happy in fact... but part of her was also quite envious. Hermione had two parents who were over the moon about her engagement, and while Lavender knew she was nowhere near that step with Seamus, she still wished her parents were alive so she could go and tell them things about her boyfriend. It wasn't that her aunt and uncle weren't wonderful, because they were... but it just wasn't the same. "Excuse me for a moment," she said to her grandmother. "I have to use the loo..." she ducked out of the room before tears could well up in her eyes.

Seamus had seen Lavender from across the room and when he'd seen her leave the room, he knew she was upset. He excused himself and nearly sprinted across the room after her. He finally found her upstairs in her bedroom. She was lying on her bed with her back to him.

"Lavender?" he asked, as he stood in the doorway.

"Seamus!" Lavender jumped. "What are you doing up here?" she tried to hide the fact that she was crying.

"I was worried about you," he said softly. "You looked upset."

"No I'm all right," Lavender was still turned the other way.

"You're a terrible liar," he said, stepping further into the room.

"I know," Lavender replied, letting her hair fall over her shoulders so it hid her face. "I'll be down in a minute."

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked.

"Talk about what?" she asked.

He sat on the edge of her bed. "Talk about why you're crying?"

Lavender finally looked up. "I'm just being stupid," she attempted a laugh.

He tilted her chin so she would look at him. "Lav? Is it your parents?"

"Yeah," her face crumpled again and Seamus pulled her into his arms. "It's just times like this I miss them a lot. I wish they were here so I could tell them all about you."

"I wish they were here so I could tell them what a great daughter they have," he said, holding her tightly. "And how much I love her and how talented and great she is."

Lavender sniffed as she buried her face in his shoulder. "You really know just what to say don't you?" she asked.

"Not all the time," he said with a laugh.

"Well most of the time then," she kissed his cheek. "I guess I'm just jealous... not in a bad way... but you can see how excited Uncle Robert and Aunt Elinore are about Hermione getting married. And I just wish that my parents were still around so that I could have the same situation someday."

He nodded. "I wish I could do something to make you feel better. I can't imagine what this has been like for you. I would have asked you about it sooner, but your aunt told me it's always been hard for you to talk about. I was just waiting for you to come to me..."

"No it's all right," Lavender still held onto him. "She's right... I never did talk about this much."

"Whenever you're ready, I'll listen," he whispered, kissing the top of her head.

"Sooner or later," Lavender looked up at him. "Thank you,"

"You're welcome," he said. "So you ready to face the masses again?"

"Sure," she replied.

"I hope you don't take this the wrong way," he said, helping her up. "But your grandfather is one scary bloke."

She burst out laughing. "You should go talk to Uncle Robert about that. I saw him giving Harry the third degree earlier as well."

"He kept asking me what I did for a living and if I made good money at it," Seamus said. "When I told him I was a film student, you would have thought I said I was a burglar or something."

"Aye, he only respects you if you're rolling in the money," Lavender shook her head. "Honestly..."

He kissed her softly, cutting her off.

"Oh..." her eyes were glassy when they pulled apart. "What was that for?"

"For being so amazing," he answered simply. "And because I didn't dare do it front of your grandfather."

"I see," Lavender teased. She pulled him close and kissed him again.

*** *** ***

Harry leaned his head back against the sofa. "I don't ever want to go through that again," he whined. The last of Hermione's extended family had just left, and not a moment too soon. Malcolm had given Harry the third degree like a drill sergeant and he wondered if Hermione's grandfather was related in some way to Thackeray.

"You'll have to go through it again at the wedding," Lavender pointed out in a sing-song voice. "And family get-togethers, too."

Hermione shot her cousin a dirty look. "Not helping matters, Lav."

"At least you didn't have that demon seed Nicholas pour paint on your head," Seamus grumbled. "That kid is a pain in the a-"

"SEAMUS!" Lavender interjected.

"Where on earth did he get paint?" Harry wondered as Hermione rested her head on his shoulder.

"We're repainting my study and Nicholas wandered in there and found a few of the paint cans," Robert explained.

Hermione hid her smile. "At least you were able to use magic to charm it off. Imagine if you were a Muggle." she said.

Seamus nodded. "That kid isn't coming to the wedding, is he?"

"I thought we might use him as the ring bearer," Hermione teased.

Harry and Seamus both looked at Hermione as if she'd grown a second head. "Please tell me you're kidding," Harry said.

"What?" Hermione started to laugh.

"Watch it, Hermione," Lavender said laughing. "He just might take the ring back..."

"He wouldn't dare," Hermione snuggled closer to her fiancé.

"You're right," Harry said, pulling her close. "I mean if I can survive your grandfather..."

"That's the spirit Harry," Robert joked. "Like I said, it's been over twenty years and he STILL doesn't like me and I've survived."

"Robert!" Elinore scolded him. "My father likes you just fine!"

"Come on Ellie," Robert replied. "You know he just puts up with me because we were married."

"That isn't true," Elinore said, shaking her head. "The way you carry on you'd think he was some sort of a monster."

Robert caught Harry's eye and grinned. "Well let's ask the new recruit. What do you think of Malcolm?"

"Uh," Harry said, taken aback. He certainly didn't want to insult Hermione and Lavender's grandfather and Elinore's dad. If he said what he really thought, he'd have all three women on his case. "He's um...well, he's..."

"Dad stop it," Hermione butted in. "Grandpa just needs to warm up."

"Warm up?" Robert said, shaking his head. "Your grandfather looks at me most of the time as if I'm something he picked off of his shoe. Ellie, you know it's the truth. I swear, if I ever acted like he did..."

Hermione and Lavender both started to laugh. "Right Uncle Robert. Have you already forgotten how you believed Vernon Dursley about Harry last summer?"

"That was completely different," Robert said defensively. "I didn't really know Harry then."

"Right," Hermione replied, squeezing Harry's arm. She noticed he was looking slightly uncomfortable so she decided to change the subject. "We're thinking of a June wedding..."

"THIS JUNE?" Lavender squealed. "That's not much time, but I'm sure if we really bogged down, we could plan it in a couple of month's time. Still, I would have thought you'd have wanted much more time to plan things out because you plan things out so meticulously... what?"

"Next June Lav, take a breath." Harry shook his head.

"Oh, that's much better," Lavender said, smiling at them. "I tend to get a bit carried away. Sorry."

"We know," Seamus joked.

"Shut it, you," Lavender said, poking him. She looked at her boyfriend. "When are you going to tell them about the other party we planned for them?"

"You have a party planned for us?" Hermione asked.

"It's nothing fancy, of course," Seamus said. "We just thought it'd be a few of your closest friends. Ron and Luna volunteered their place. It's Monday evening at seven, if that's okay with the two of you?"

"That's so sweet of them!" Hermione grinned.

"Aye, that's really nice." Harry said. "We'll definitely be there."

"Fantastic," Lavender said, pleased. She hugged her cousin. "I can't believe you're getting married!"

"I still can't believe it either," Hermione laughed. "I figured I'd ask Luna and Cho to be bridesmaids as well. I really don't think I need an enormous wedding party."

"Hermione, you're going to have a big wedding," Elinore chided. "You're going to need at least seven bridesmaids. It's a shame Cho's baby isn't older. We could have used her for the flower girl."

"Seven?" Hermione asked incredulously. "I only have three close girlfriends. Mum, I don't know who else I could ask..."

"Seven is a perfect number," Elinore said defensively. "Anything more would be tacky and pretentious."

"I think anything more than four is tacky," Hermione disagreed.

"What about those two other girls you and Lavender roomed with at school?" Elinore continued, ignoring Hermione. "What were their names?"

"Suzette and Magda," Lavender replied. She started to laugh. "Hermione! Do you remember how Suzette couldn't say your name to save her life? She used to call you Minnie! Do you remember that?"

"I'd forgotten until now," Hermione replied dryly. "Mum, honestly... I'm not going to make some random girls my bridesmaids! It's an honour for my close girlfriends."

"They aren't some random girls, Hermione," Elinore said with a laugh. "You roomed with those girls for seven years. I'm sure they wouldn't mind standing up for you."

"And I haven't talked to them once since we left school," Hermione replied. "And I tried to avoid them as much as possible until we left."

"Ellie," Robert said, putting a hand on his wife's shoulder. "Why don't you and I clean up in the living room? We don't have to decide anything right now. The wedding's over a year away."

Hermione shot a grateful look at her father as he led her mother out of the room. "Bother, I don't know why she's insisting on those two... things from Beauxbatons!"

"Suzette wasn't that bad," Lavender said. "Magda was a bit of a terror and she had that facial hair problem."

"Right," Hermione shivered.

"She called you Minnie?" Harry couldn't help asking. He tried not to laugh, but Seamus wasn't helping matters.

"Like that Minnie Mouse from that Muggle park, Disney?" Seamus chortled.

Hermione threw a tea towel at his head.

"What was that for?" Seamus ducked and caught it.

"You know very well what it was for," Hermione said, sinking down in her chair. "Mum is going to be relentless these next few months."

"Aye she is," Harry said. "Maybe we should elope," he joked.

"Don't tempt me," Hermione said with a laugh.

"Don't you even think about that," Lavender scolded them.

"I wouldn't," Hermione said smiling at her cousin. "We just need to find a way to talk Mum out of planning this as the social event of the century."

"It'll all come around," Harry squeezed her hand.

"You're right," Hermione said, leaning in for a kiss. "At the end of the day, all that will matter is that it's you and me standing up in front of our family and friends and saying our vows. Nothing else will matter to me."

"Right," Harry kissed her back. "We should probably get going. There are a few things I have to look over before training tomorrow."

"Let me guess," Seamus said, scratching his chin. "Hermione's legs, her arms, her stomach, her..."

"SEAMUS!" Lavender said, hitting him hard on the arm.

Harry grinned wickedly. "I've told you all this before, I have no shame so don't tempt me."

"How about you and I go visit Malcolm Brown and see what he has to say about it?" Seamus countered. "I'm sure he'd love to hear what you do to his granddaughter."

"At least I'm not too scared to kiss Hermione in front of him like you are with Lavender," Harry challenged.

"You would have been if you'd heard what he said about you after you did it," Seamus shot back. "What was it that he said? Oh yes, now I remember? The 'no-good, whippersnapper who thinks he can molest my granddaughter in her own parents' home', that's what he said."

"Was that before or after the grope?" Harry returned.

"All right boys," Hermione broke in.

"He started it," Harry pointed out.

"Aye he did but be the mature one Harry," Hermione rolled her eyes, sharing a similar look with her cousin.

"To be perfectly honest, Grandpa doesn't like either one of you," Lavender said. "But, he didn't like my dad. He doesn't care for Uncle Robert. So, I'd say the two of you were in good company."

"So let's just leave it at that," Hermione said, seeing Harry and Seamus open their mouths to start off another round.

"Okay," Seamus said, standing up. "I should probably get going. I have an early start tomorrow."

"Stick around for just a little while?" Lavender asked. "I promise to make it worth your while," she whispered in his ear.

"In front of your aunt and uncle?" he asked her.

"They'll be turning in soon," Lavender said conspiratorially.

"All right that's our cue to go," Harry grabbed Hermione's hand.

"Right," Hermione said, standing up. "So I guess we'll see all of you tomorrow then?"

"Seven at Ron and Luna's," Lavender replied.

Hermione nodded and gave Seamus and then Lavender a hug. "Try and talk Mum out of the whole Suzette and Magda bridesmaid idea if you can, Lav."

"I will," Lavender said. "I've got your back Hermione."

"Thanks, Lav," Hermione said, hugging her again. She pulled her cousin away from Harry and Seamus. "Were you okay today? You looked a bit sad earlier and I was worried about you."

"I'm all right," Lavender wrapped her arms around herself. "I just have a few times when we're all gathered together that I miss my mum and dad is all."

"I miss them, too," Hermione said, tearing up a bit. "They'd have been really proud of you, you know that right?"

"I know," Lavender smiled at her. "Thanks."

Hermione gave her one last hug. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Lav."

"Same here," Lavender hugged her back.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Hermione asked her, tears shining in her eyes. She was so happy about the engagement, but she felt sad that so many people wouldn't be there to share in her joy--Lavender's parents, Harry's parents, Sirius Black.

"Yeah, it'll be fun and we can really start planning." Lavender replied as Harry slid his arm over her cousin's shoulders.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

She nodded and followed Harry out of the kitchen and into the sitting room so she could say goodbye to her parents.

"Leaving so soon?" Robert asked, standing as they walked into the room.

"Yeah, we've got some things to do for school and training," Harry answered. "Thank you for today... it was interesting at least." he grinned at them.

"You were able to see what you were getting yourself into," Robert teased, shaking Harry's hand. "And tell me the truth, Harry? I wasn't as bad as Malcolm, was I?"

"If I tell you the truth where does that put me?" Harry joked.

Robert laughed. "I always do appreciate the truth. I'm a grown man, Harry. I can take it."

Elinore scoffed. "Harry, love... take it from me, he's as bad as he was twenty years ago."

Harry laughed. "On that note, I think I'll leave while I'm ahead or behind or ...I think we'll just go."

"Right," Hermione kissed her parents goodbye. "Finally..." she smiled up at him a few minutes later. "I thought we'd never get out of there."

"Want to get me all alone, do you?" he asked cheekily.

"Of course I do," Hermione said. "Every night I want to get you alone."

He softly kissed her and as he pulled away, he pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm not all that crazy about you going to classes tomorrow. I don't like you being alone with him."

"I won't be alone with him," Hermione reassured him. "I'm going in early to talk to my professor and then I'll find another seat somewhere in the classroom."

"Good," Harry said, glad that she wasn't upset about him being overprotective. "Promise me you'll get someone to walk you out, too. I don't want to take any chances with him."

A week ago Hermione would have blown off Harry's concern but now she smiled at him. "I promise. And if I can't find anyone, I'll owl you, how does that sound?"

"Great," he said, leaning in and kissing her neck. "But you know what sounds even better?"

"What's that?" she asked her eyes half closed.

"You...me...bathtub," he said, deftly slipping his hand under her shirt. "How does that sound to you?"

"Fabulous," Hermione said. "But if you keep doing that under my shirt then you're going to have to carry me home..."

Harry laughed and then before she knew what he was doing, he picked her up and swung her over his shoulder. "Let's go home, Miss Granger."

*** *** ***

The next morning, Hermione walked out of the bathroom, wrapped in a towel. She'd awoken first and thought she'd run to the bakery before Harry woke up and surprise him with pastries, but he'd surprised her in the shower and all thoughts of breakfast were soon forgotten.

He came up behind her and tickled her as they fell back onto the bed. "Harry," Hermione said giggling. "You're certainly in a playful mood this morning."

"I can't help it," Harry grinned at her. "The most gorgeous woman in the world agreed to marry me this weekend. I have loads to be happy about."

"Gorgeous, eh?" she asked. "You don't have to try so hard, Harry. You've already got me."

"I'm not trying, I'm just being truthful," Harry kissed her softly.

She touched his cheek. "You are the best thing that's ever happened to me. You've made me so happy."

"Same here," Harry replied. They kissed again for a few minutes before reluctantly getting off the bed. "So are you sure you don't want me to walk you to class?" he asked, pulling his robes on over his jeans and jumper.

"I'll be fine," she said giving him a reassuring smile. "Do you think we should dress up for tonight or is it going to be casual?"

"Casual probably," Harry replied.

Hermione slid into a pair of khaki trousers and a brown jumper. "I'll probably just meet you at Ron and Luna's. I've got a meeting with my faculty advisor at six."

"To go over your project?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Hermione said, performing a drying charm on her hair. "And my plans for next term."

"Right," Harry stepped over and buried his face in her hair while his arms circled around her.

"You don't want to let me go, do you?" she asked, teasingly.

"No I don't," Harry replied. "I wish it was Friday again so we could have the whole weekend in front of us."

"We've got the rest of our lives in front of us," Hermione reminded him.

"I know," Harry replied. "I'm just selfish enough to hole you away from the rest of the world."

"I would like nothing more than to stay here with you all day," she said softly, "but I really need to get going if I want to meet with my professor before class."

"All right," Harry conceded. "We'll pick it back up later,"

"You bet your arse we will," Hermione said, throwing some books into her bag. "How about you? How's your day look?"

"Not too bad, I just hope Lupin isn't angry with me for skipping training on Friday." they went downstairs together.

"He won't be," Hermione said. "And hopefully he'll have some news on this Andrew Murphy."

"Yeah, the sooner they can pin it on Gordon, the better off we'll all be," Harry muttered.

Hermione shivered. "I still can't get over all of this..."

"You'll be all right," Harry said. "I'm not about to let him interfere anymore."

"I really am sorry for not listening to you sooner," she said hugging him.

"Don't worry about it now," Harry said, pressing his lips to her head briefly. "I'm just glad... you finally did."

"Me too," she said, not yet ready to leave the warmth of his arms.

"Come on, let's grab some coffee and I'll walk you to class," Harry cajoled.

Hermione smiled. Although she'd assured him she'd be okay, she liked the idea of him walking her to class. She wanted to spend as much time as she could with him. "That sounds brilliant," she said, slinging her bag over her shoulder and taking his hand.

"Great," Harry kissed her quickly and then turned to search for the travel coffee mugs that Elinore had given them when they moved in.

"They're in the cupboard by the stove," Hermione called out to him.

"Right," Harry dug into the cabinet as Hermione got the coffee ready.

"This is the first time I've ever been walked to a class by a boyfriend," she commented. "Did you walk many girls to classes at Hogwarts?"

"Not really," Harry said as they left the cottage. "I mean... I didn't really have the time to concentrate on girls at that point."

"So I guess I'm the first girlfriend you've walked to class," she said with a smile. "Correction, your first fiancée you've walked to a class."

"First and only fiancée, thank you," Harry pulled her closer.

"Right," Hermione said with a laugh.

They reached the University campus too quickly for Harry's taste. "So do you think he's in there?" he asked in a low voice at the classroom door.

Hermione shook her head. "Lately he's been arriving right before class starts. In the past, he'd be the first one here."

"Really," Harry shook his head. "Well... is the professor at least there? If you're alone I'll wait until someone else shows up."

Hermione peeked into the classroom and saw her professor as well as two other students inside. "My professor's inside and there's no sign of Gordon."

"All right," Harry replied. "So I'll see you at the party then?"

"Yes," she said, looping her arms around his neck. "I love you."

"I love you too," Harry kissed her briefly. "Remember, owl me if you need anything at all okay?"

"I will," she whispered, squeezing his hand. "Don't you work too hard today. We're going to dance up a storm tonight."

Harry laughed. "That we are," he kissed her again and watched her go into the classroom.

Hermione went inside and smiled warmly at her professor.

"Professor Lambert?" she asked. "Could I have a word with you before class?"

"Of course Hermione," he replied. "What can I do for you?"

Hermione bit her bottom lip. "I was wondering if I could change partners for the assignment."

Lambert raised his eyebrows. "Is there something wrong with your partner?"

"I just think we have different ideas about how the project should go and I'd feel more comfortable with someone else," Hermione lied.

"Well..." Lambert pulled out his book. "It looks like everyone else has a partner... ah yes; Anna Golden is the only one without. I gave her the option of working as a trio or alone."

"That'd be great," Hermione said with a sigh of relief. "I really appreciate this, Professor."

Lambert nodded to the redhead, who was sitting near the front of the room engrossed in a book. "You'll have to okay it with her, and tell Gordon Devereaux to come speak with me. I normally don't allow this sort of thing but you're an exceptional student Hermione."

"Thank you, sir," Hermione said, not relishing the fact that she'd have to speak to Gordon.

Lambert nodded and Hermione turned and froze at the sight of the person she least wanted to see entering the classroom. She ducked her head and practically ran to Anna's desk. "Hi Anna... can I talk to you a moment?"

"Of course," Anna said, smiling at her. "What's on your mind, Hermione?"

"I have a huge favour to ask you," Hermione sat down, turning her back to Gordon. "Would you mind if I switched partners so that you and I can work together?"

"But I thought you were working with Gordon Devereaux?" Anna asked confused.

"He and I... found out we don't work so well together," Hermione replied. "And Lambert said if it was okay with you, then we could partner up. I promise I won't load extra work on you or anything."

Anna nodded. "That'd be great."

Gordon watched as Hermione talked with Anna and he couldn't wait to talk to her and see how she was doing. He'd of course play the supportive friend and listen to all about how Potter moved out and how she was coping. He had made plans all weekend long for them and had a feeling that perhaps he wouldn't need the binding spell after all.

"OH MY GOD!" Anna squealed. "Hermione!"

"What?" Hermione was startled.

"What is that on your left hand?" Anna asked loudly. "Is that what I think it is?"

"Oh," Hermione blushed lightly. "Yes," she couldn't stop the smile from spreading across her face. "Harry asked me to marry him on Saturday night."

"Oh, Hermione!" Anna exclaimed dreamily. "How romantic!"

Gordon had been about to approach Hermione when he heard her words and he saw the ring. He froze in place. This wasn't supposed to have happened. They were supposed to have broken up. They weren't supposed to be engaged.

"It really was," Hermione said. "He took me out for a fancy dinner, and then we went for a walk in a nearby park and he just dropped down on one knee and asked."

"Congratulations," Anna said with a broad smile.

Gordon felt as if he'd been punched in the stomach. Slowly, he backed away from Hermione and walked out of the classroom.

Hermione felt him leave but gave him no attention. She would tell him after class that she was no longer working with him and leave it at that. "We're hoping for a June wedding next year," she said, forcing Gordon from her mind.

Once outside of the classroom, Gordon walked down the hall and punched the wall with his fist. This couldn't be happening, he thought miserably as he slid down and tears stung his eyes.

Hermione turned and faced forward as Lambert began class. Gordon had not yet come back in and while she worked hard to concentrate on the lesson, her mind wandered to what he could be doing.

Gordon couldn't believe how stupid he'd been. She'd never come to him willingly...not as long as Potter was around. There was only one way. Anger welled up in him as he waited outside the classroom for her to come out. As he waited, scenes of her and Potter came flashing into his mind. Over and over again, he pictured the two of them laughing at him.

Hermione twirled her engagement ring nervously around her finger as class ended. She spoke with Anna for a few minutes, drawing up a quick schedule for them to work before grabbing her things. She was hoping to make a quick getaway to her next class and put off talking to Gordon as long as possible.

Gordon saw her approaching from his perch just outside an empty classroom. Seizing his opportunity, he made sure no one was watching and he grabbed her arm and dragged her inside.

"Hey!" Hermione said angrily.

"How could you do this, Hermione?" Gordon asked her angrily. "How could you do this to me? You were supposed to break up with him!"

"I beg your pardon?" Hermione rubbed the spot on her arm where Gordon had grabbed her. "You have no right to grab me like that!"

"He doesn't love you, Hermione," Gordon said, his tone much softer. "I tried to make you see that."

Hermione stared at him for a moment as something cold clenched in her stomach. "Merlin... everyone was right about you." she crossed her arms over her chest. "You HAVE been trying to break up me and Harry. On top of everything else you've done Gordon!"

"I only did it because I love you, Hermione," Gordon tried to explain. "I always have. Everything I did, I did for you. My sweet, innocent Hermione...and he tainted you. He changed you. But, it wasn't your fault. I don't blame you."

"Get away from me!" Hermione snapped when Gordon reached for her. "You're sicker than I thought Gordon. I'm not yours! I've never been yours and I never WILL BE yours."

Gordon laughed and a cold, detached look came over his face. "That's where you're wrong, Hermione. I've found a place where you will be mine. You will ALWAYS be mine and you won't even remember his name. It'll be like he never existed for you."

"What are you going to memory charm me like you did your parents?" Hermione shot back, watching him flinch. "That's right Gordon. I found out about it. How could you hurt people that were only trying to help you? Not to mention Andrew Murphy! What did he do that made him deserve to be the way he is now?"

"He was going to turn me in," Gordon answered. "I couldn't have him ruin what I'd worked so hard for. It was the same with my parents." He stood in front of the door and a wistful look came over his face. "I do hate that they won't get the chance to meet our children. I always had my heart sent on two...a boy and a girl. How about you?"

Hermione recoiled. "We will never be together," she said through clenched teeth. "I'm engaged to Harry, Gordon, HARRY."

"STOP SAYING HIS NAME!" Gordon yelled at her. "STOP SAYING HIS NAME!"

"HARRY!" Hermione screamed back. He lunged at her and she ran to the side and for the door.

Gordon was too quick for her. He pointed his wand at her back and yelled out "STUPEFY!"

Hermione slammed against the door and slumped down, unconscious. Anna was passing by when she heard the thump and knocked on the door.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, peeking around the frame. She spotted Hermione on the floor and Gordon Devereaux leaning over her. "Oh Merlin... is she all right? What happened to her?" she asked in concern.

"She's fine," Gordon hissed. "Why won't everyone just leave us alone?"

Anna stared at him. "What do you mean she's fine, she's passed out!"

"She'll be fine," Gordon said, pulling Anna abruptly into the classroom and shutting the door behind him. "I'm really sorry to do this, Anna. But, you've left me with no choice. I'm not going to wipe away all your memories, just this one."

"What?" Anna pulled away in alarm.

Gordon pulled his wand from behind his back. "I'm sorry, Anna...Obliviate!"