Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: Something that you've all been waiting for happens in this chapter and something else even bigger than that happens, too. We're getting near the end, but don't worry...we have something else planned. But, you don't need to know about that now. As always, we hope you will let us know what you think.

Hermione walked home slowly, her mind overworked and spinning from her jumble of thoughts. Foremost on her mind was Harry. She was afraid of what she might find when she reached the cottage, if he would be there, and if he was, would he want to try and make things up or were things truly over between them.

A sob broke out of her at that thought and she pushed it away. She also couldn't stop thinking about Gordon that morning, and why his words about not letting Harry hurt her ever again could trigger such a response. If what Harry said was true, how could she have been blind for so long? Was she really that naive that she couldn't see what was going on right on front of her?

With some trepidation, Hermione unlocked the front door and pushed it open slowly.

Harry had been sitting in the kitchen when he heard the front door open. After visiting with Hermione's dad, he'd come home and taken a shower and shaved. He felt very happy that her dad had given him the go ahead to propose, but now that she was home, he had no idea what to say.

"Hello?" she called out softly. "Har... Harry?"

"Hi," he said, walking out of the kitchen. Nervously, he put his hands in his jeans pockets.

"Hi," Hermione replied, feeling stupid after the words left her mouth. She dropped her bag in it's usual spot. "How... how are you?"

"I've been better," he said dryly. She didn't laugh or respond in any way. "Hermione, this is crazy. We're acting like we just met instead of..."

"I know," she laughed nervously. "This is completely ridiculous."

"Perhaps we should sit down?" he suggested. "I really think we need to talk."

"I agree," Hermione took his outstretched hand and followed him into the living room.

Harry looked at her thoughtfully. "I am sorry for walking out on you last night, Hermione. But, I'm not sorry about what I told you...I believe that there's something seriously wrong with that guy. And I know you don't want to hear it, but if you'd just listen to me..."

"I know," Hermione said. "I'll listen to you Harry. This morning..." she sighed and leaned back into the sofa. "I was upset still when I went into class... I honestly didn't know where things were headed and it scared me. And I told Gordon what happened and he hugged me... and instead of feeling comforted I got the chills. And then..." she looked up and saw the look on her boyfriend's face. "He told me he wouldn't let you hurt me again. And then I kept thinking of other times that his behaviour has been odd and… I wondered if maybe you were right all along…"

Harry couldn't believe Gordon's nerve. He and Hermione had one fight---albeit a large one---and this bloke moves in for the kill. He couldn't think of anything to say, so he just shook his head.

"I'll listen to whatever you want to tell me," Hermione's voice was quavering. "I tried to blame you for it too. I tried to convince myself that I was only thinking that way because of what you told me last night." she shook her head. "But something tells me there's more to it..." her voice was becoming more strained as she tried to fight her tears.

"Come here," he said, taking her in his arms. "Shhhh....it's okay. I was so afraid that I'd come back here this morning and find you packing your bags."

"I'm not going anywhere," Hermione held onto him, burying her face in his shoulder. "I'm so sorry Harry. I'm so sorry I didn't bother to hear you out."

"Well, I came at you full throttle," he said with a slight laugh. "I was such an idiot for walking out on you."

"I was stupid for not making you stay," Hermione rubbed her eyes as his hands moved comfortingly over her back.

"I wasn't trying to control you, Hermione," he said apologetically. "And I know I may have been overprotective at times, but I can't help it. I've lost so many people that I cared about and the last thing I want to do is lose you."

"I know," Hermione replied. "I realise that now."

Harry stroked her cheek. "You're really ready to hear all that I have to say about him? You really want to see the information and the photos?"

She nodded. "If you... if you're that convinced, then yes."

He smiled. "Would it be alright if I kissed you first? I wanted to since the moment you walked in the door."

Hermione couldn't help the laugh that escaped her lips. "I've wanted that too," she said.

Harry pressed his lips to hers and kissed her softly. She felt a tear slip down her cheek as she kissed him back; her arms looped around his neck again and she pulled him close.

He pulled away from her and rested his forehead on hers. "I missed you," he whispered.

"I missed you too," Hermione replied softly.

He held her for a few more minutes, no words passing between them. Reluctantly, he pulled away from her and went upstairs to grab the clippings and photographs.

While she waited, Hermione allowed her mind to wander again. Part of her still wanted to insist that Harry was wrong, that Gordon would never lie to her or hurt anyone but she pushed that away. If he could prove it to her... she shuddered as she thought about it.

A few moments later, Harry came back downstairs carrying a folder. He realised how hard this was for her. Gordon was someone she had trusted and believed in and she was about to see that he'd lied to her time and time again. Although he was glad she'd finally decided to listen to him, he knew that this was going to hurt her. That was the last thing he wanted to do.

"Here's everything," he said, handing her the folder.

Hermione took it with a shaking hand. "Will you go through it with me?" she asked, her voice scratchy.

"Of course," he said, sitting down beside her. For the next half hour, she listened quietly as Harry explained each piece of evidence and each photograph. When they came to the photographs of Gordon's parents, she gasped.

"I know your families were close," Harry said, taking her hand.

"Oh Merlin," Hermione said, her other hand clapped to her mouth in horror. "That's... that's..." she stared at the photograph with tears in her eyes.

"His parents tried for years to get him some help," Harry explained gently. "From what Luna managed to find out, they cared a great deal about their son, but he didn't see it that way. He thought they were trying to control him."

"And so he memory charmed them and it turned horribly wrong," Hermione whispered, still in shock.

Harry nodded. "The medical team in charge of their care has tried numerous spells to try and restore their memories, but nothing has worked. They'll...they'll probably be this way the rest of their lives."

Hermione tried to speak but a lump had wedged itself firmly in her throat. How could Gordon have done this? How could SHE be so stupid as to believe him over Harry for so long?

Harry closed the folder and put it on the coffee table. "That's all that we've managed to find out so far," Harry said softly. "Lupin's still hoping to find something linking him to Andrew's disappearance. They've not managed to turn up anything yet, but hopefully Gordon will slip up at some point."

Hermione didn't say anything. She stared at the folder that held so many truths, the truths about someone she'd thought was her friend and cared about. With a loud scream, she grabbed the folder and flung it across the room. "How could he lie to me?" Hermione asked angrily. "I trusted him and he's been lying to me all this time!"

"He knew what a kind heart and a generous spirit you have," Harry said softly. "He took advantage of that time and time again."

Hermione sniffed. "What is it about me that's so easy to fool? I guess I'm book smart but when it comes to people I have a lot to learn."

"Hermione, that's not true," he said taking her hands in his. "One of the things I love most about you is how you want to see the good in everyone. That's the way you are. Gordon is...he's a bastard who used that. This wasn't all you. It was him. He's a manipulator."

Hermione stared at him. "I just don't understand why," she muttered.

"I wish I could give you an answer," he said.

"How can you be this way with me?" she asked shakily. "You've been trying to tell me this and I always brushed you off. How can you forgive me now?"

"I love you," Harry said. "That's how."

"It's just hard," Hermione said, quietly. "At one point, Gordon was my only friend. All the other kids called me names and he was the only one who gave me the time of day. While everyone was calling me a bushy haired bookworm know it all, he was my friend."

"And he took advantage of that," Harry said, shaking his head.

Hermione felt a myriad of emotions in her, anger at Gordon for what he had done and for lying, anger at herself for being so trusting, sadness for Gordon's parents... "I can't help but think now..." she began, her voice shaking a bit. "Knowing what he's capable of... it scares me." she looked up at Harry. "What if he decides to come after me, or come after you?"

"I'll kill him," Harry answered honestly.

Hermione drew in a gasp. "Harry don't say such things..."

"It's the truth, Hermione."

Hermione didn't say anything for a minute. "Well..." she got up and began picking up the scattered photos, even though she could have easily put them together with one wave of her wand. "I guess... the best thing to do here is for me to just cut myself away from him. I'll go to my professor on Monday and ask for an extension so I can finish this project myself."

"I was hoping you'd say that," he said, bending down to help her. "I don't want you to be alone with him."

"I don't want to be alone with him again either. Ever..." Hermione said.

"You won't have to be," he whispered. She was trembling and Harry took the folder from her hand and set it back on the coffee table. He pushed a strand of her hair away from her face and his hand lingered on her cheek.

"I'm scared," she confessed in a whisper.

"I know you are," he said, cupping her face in his hands. "But I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

"Okay," Hermione leaned in and kissed him. "I love you Harry."

"I love you," he echoed before kissing her again.

*** *** ***

Lavender unlocked the door to the cottage and set down the bag of groceries and other items she and Seamus had bought at the shops earlier that afternoon.

"Hermione?" she called out, hoping that Hermione and Harry were long gone. "Harry?"

When no one answered, Lavender turned to her boyfriend and grinned. "I think we're alone..."

"Good to hear," Seamus said. "So Harry asked you to come over here?"

"Yeah," Lavender said, shutting the door behind him. "He said we were supposed to make this place romantic."

Seamus frowned. "What the bloody hell for?"

Lavender beamed at him. "He's proposing! Can you believe it! I squealed so loud when he told me, I think I may have damaged his eardrums." When she saw Seamus didn't react to the news, it was she who frowned. "What? You don't think this is the greatest thing ever? Or...you knew! You knew already!"

"I didn't know," Seamus said. "But I didn't quite hear you because you screamed so loudly."

"Shut up!" she exclaimed, swatting him. "You are such a sourpuss lately."

"I'm sorry," Seamus replied. "Could it be because I'm still recovering from the bloody Wizarding Flu?"

She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Okay, why don't you just sit on the couch and I'll do the work. I've got candles, champagne, music... everything that the two of them could possibly need."

"I can't believe Harry's proposing," Seamus replied. "Seems like yesterday he was proclaiming to be a bachelor for life."

"Yes, well Hermione used to tell me that she didn't plan on getting married until after she'd established herself in a career and even then she wasn't sure she'd ever get married," Lavender mused as she pulled some candles from the paper bag.

"Right," Seamus took the candles from her. "And now the biggest bachelor and biggest spinster are about to marry each other."

"Sounds like you could use that plot for your next film," she joked.

"Starring Harry Potter and Hermione Granger," Seamus said with a grin. "What do you think?"

"Directed by Seamus Finnigan with costumes by Lavender Brown," Lavender said with a giggle. "Sounds like a winner to me."

"Aye," Seamus grabbed his girlfriend's waist. "You know what sounds like a winner?"

"What?" she asked.

"You on that sofa," Seamus pushed her onto the piece of furniture.

"I thought you were still getting over the Wizarding Flu?" she asked teasingly.

"It's not contagious remember?" Seamus grinned wickedly.

"Seamus," Lavender said laughing. "We can't do this here! This is Harry and Hermione's home..."

"So what's your point?" Seamus asked. "They're not going to be home for awhile."

Lavender looked thoughtfully at him. "Well, Harry did say he was going to take her out for dinner and then they were going to come back here...and that could be hours from now..."

"Right," Seamus said, giving her a light kiss. "And I haven't been with you in at least a week and a half..."

"That's very true," she said before kissing him.

He pulled her onto the sofa, kissing her with a heated passion that surprised even him. "I love you," he muttered before she began pushing her body on top of his.

Lavender couldn't believe they were doing this here, but any bad feelings she might have had were slipping away as Seamus kissed her neck. What Harry and Hermione didn't know, couldn't possibly hurt them. Besides, Lavender thought, the two of them had probably done much worse.

"It's been too fucking long," Seamus said, pulling at her shirt. "This can be our bloody Valentine's Day date."

"You sure are a cheap date then," she couldn't stop herself from saying. "Only kidding!"

"If you're going to be like that I won't give you any," Seamus said with a wicked grin.

"You win," she said, lifting her head from the sofa pillow to kiss him again.

He pushed up on her shirt as his lips moved over her open neck. "I need you so bad," he muttered.

"I feel the same way," she whispered.

Seamus kissed her fully, delving his tongue into her mouth. "Good answer," he said huskily.

She grinned and hoped that neither Harry nor Hermione found out what they were about to do. She hoped that wherever her cousin and Harry were at the moment that they were having a wonderful time and that they stayed away for quite some time.

*** *** ***

Harry was nervous as he led Hermione into the restaurant. He was going to propose. If all went well... by the end of the night he'd be engaged to marry the smartest and in his opinion the most beautiful witch in the entire Wizarding World.

Hermione couldn't help her jaw from dropping as they walked into the restaurant. This had to be the most posh restaurant in all of London. "I've heard about this place!" Hermione couldn't help exclaiming as they walked inside. "Lavender said this is THE restaurant. She said that people are on waiting lists just to get in here."

"Really?" Harry seemed surprised. "When I rang them and asked for a reservation, once I told them my name I got right in... and a Muggle place at that."

"My dad even tried to take my mum here for their anniversary last year, but they said it'd be three months before he could get a reservation," Hermione said.

"Merlin," Harry muttered his breath. He wondered if a witch had taken their reservation and moved them into the immediate waiting list. "I guess we got lucky then."

"I guess we did," she said squeezing his hand. She was still shaken up by the whole Gordon thing, but when Harry had suggested a nice evening out, she'd jumped at the chance to get her mind off of it. She'd thought that he would just take her out for a pizza or something, but he'd surprised her when he'd dressed in a suit and tie and suggested she wear that little black dress of hers. Tonight was definitely not going to be a pizza and movie night, she thought to herself.

Harry turned and smiled back at her as he pulled her chair out. The ring was in his pocket and he was determined to ask her tonight whether or not she'd have him as a husband. Although Harry was pretty sure he knew what her answer would be, he was still nervous about asking.

When Harry helped her with her wrap, she felt his trembling hands on her bare shoulder. "Everything okay?" she asked as he took his own seat.

"Sure," he answered. "Just chilly outside is all."

She nodded. "You should wear a suit more often. You look so handsome," she said, smiling at him before opening her menu.

"Thanks," Harry smiled at her. "And that black dress..."

Hermione blushed. "The result of my little shopping spree with Lavender a few months back. She said that every girl should have a 'little black dress'."

"And she was right," Harry's eyes were gleaming.

Hermione locked eyes with him and she saw so much love and faith and hope in them that she felt tears welling up in her own. "So...what are you thinking of getting?" she asked turning her attention back to her menu.

"I'm not sure yet," Harry replied. He actually didn't feel like eating that night. "Why don't you tell me what you're getting and I'll have the same."

Hermione scanned over the menu. "Everything looks amazing...I guess I'll go with Filet Mignon."

"That works for me," Harry set his menu down.

Their waiter came up to the table and took their order. Once they were alone again, Hermione couldn't help looking around at the people and the scenery. "I really needed a night like this, Harry. Thanks so much for suggesting it."

"Anything for you," his tone was soft as he reached for her hand across the table. "I guess I just needed to make things up for being such a prat."

"You more than made up for it last night," she said softly. They hadn't done more than hold each other because they'd both been knackered. Hermione hadn't minded. She'd just loved being close to him like that again.

Harry lifted her hand and kissed the back of it. "You deserve the best," he said. "And I know I'm not the best but I can certainly try."

"You ARE the best," she said, squeezing his hand. "You're the best for me. You always have been and you always will be."

Harry leaned over the table and gave her a quick kiss. "I like to think that too," he said.

"Harry," she said quietly. "There's something I need to tell you...that I should have told you last night when we talked about Gordon."

"What's that?" Harry asked.

She looked across the table at him. "Do you remember the other night when you came home and I was wearing that nightgown?"

"Yeah I remember," Harry said. "What about it?"

She bit her lip. "Right before you came home, Gordon walked in on me. I thought he was you and I turned around and he was looking at me...the way he was looking at me..."

"You didn't know," Harry said, looking at her. "You didn't know he was so..."

She shook her head. "I believed him when he said he'd just stopped by, but it still freaked me out. And there was a time a few weeks back when he...he nearly kissed me."

"He almost kissed you?" Harry asked, shocked.

"We were studying," she explained. "And talking about something and having a laugh and he leaned in and I stopped him, of course. He said he was hurting over Skylar and that he knew we were just friends. I can't believe I bought every single word!"

"Hermione," Harry leaned forward. "Don't start feeling guilty about this all right? You didn't know. I didn't even know. I just had a feeling that something wasn't right about him."

Hermione nodded. "You're right. And this night isn't about him. It's about you and me, right?"

"Exactly sweetheart," Harry said gently.

She smiled and suddenly found herself remembering that last year at this time, she didn't even know him. It was such a foreign concept to her. It was hard to remember what life was like before him.

"What are you thinking about?" Harry asked.

"What I was doing last year at this time," she answered truthfully. "I think my parents were just talking about going to Hillsdale. I almost didn't go."

"You didn't?" Harry was surprised. "Why not?"

Hermione laughed. "I told my father I had better things to do with my time than sit around some lake and sunbathe. Can you believe that?"

"No," Harry snorted. "Especially since you came and did nothing of that sort."

"Well, you can thank my mum for talking me into going," Hermione said. "She reminded me that this was probably the last time we'd get to go on holiday as a family and that it wouldn't be the same if I didn't come, too."

"Well then I'll have to thank your mum," Harry said softly. "Otherwise we might not have met."

"God bless Mum," Hermione said with a laugh. "So, Harry Potter. What were you doing a year ago?"

"Hmm..." Harry sat back. "I think... at this point I was miserably thinking of another year under my uncle's thumb and also thinking about how much I hated almost everyone on the planet because they were all happier than I was."

"Really?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Life wasn't that great. I was pretty lonely, although I wouldn't admit that to anyone."

"And then some bushy-haired know-it-all comes along trying to solve everyone's problems," she said rolling her eyes.

"Aye that's right and she made me fall head over heels in love with her," Harry grinned.

"Well, you certainly didn't make it easy," she teased. "Mister Mood Swing."

"Are you going on about that again?" he bantered. "I thought you were over that by now."

"I'm getting there," she said grinning at him.

Harry shook his head. "What else were you doing a year ago?" he asked.

"Waiting for you," Hermione answered, looking into his green eyes.

"I was waiting for you too," Harry gave her another kiss.

The waiter cleared his throat and Hermione pulled apart from her boyfriend to see that their food had arrived.

"Sorry," Harry said as their food was set in front of them. He fingered the ring in his pocket and tried to think of a good way to bring a proposal into their conversation.

They tucked into their food and were nearly finished when the waiter came back carrying a bottle of champagne. Hermione didn't remember them ordering champagne. "Compliments of the management, sir," the waiter said. "He said to tell you that if there was anything we could get you, don't hesitate to ask."

"Oh," Harry turned red. "Thanks..." he took the bottle. "Well... that was odd."

"I think you were right," Hermione said, looking over Harry's shoulder at the waiter who was talking to a rather portly looking man. "I think the owner must be a wizard."

"Could be," Harry hoped they weren't about to give away the reason he was here.

They finished their meal and Hermione looked across the table at her boyfriend. "I have an idea," she whispered.

"What's that?" Harry asked in an equally low voice.

"As lovely as this place is," she began, "there's nothing more that I'd like than to go on a nice walk with you and our bottle of champagne...what do you say?"

Harry laughed. "If that's what you want, sure," he said.

"That's what I want," she said happily.

"All right then," Harry signalled for their bill and paid it, leaving a rather generous tip on the table. They left the restaurant snuggled together, the bottle of champagne clutched in her hand.

Hermione laughed heartily as Harry spun her around as they walked along the sidewalk. "You're going to make me dizzy," she protested.

"Is that a bad thing?" Harry asked lightly.

"No," she whispered as he pulled her close. "Not at all."

"Good," Harry claimed her lips hungrily.

Hermione breathlessly pulled away from him so she wouldn't drop the champagne bottle.

"I hope you know how much I love you," Harry said intently.

"I do," she said softly, caressing his cheek with her free hand. "And I love you more than anything."

"Good to know," Harry kissed her again, leaving her without words.

Hermione felt somewhat weak in the knees and led Harry over to a bench. She cuddled up close to him and rested her head on his shoulder.

"Are you all right?" Harry kissed the side of her head.

"Yes," she said softly. "I'm here with you on this wonderful date and it's a beautiful night. I don't know of anything that could make this night any more perfect."

Harry realised what a perfect moment this was. A moonlit night, they were alone in a park and they had a bottle of champagne at their disposal. "Well..." he began. "I think there's one thing that could make this night more amazing than it's already been..."

"Hmmm?" she asked as he pulled away from her and stood up. "What could possibly make this better?"

Harry started to feel nervous again. "Well..." he started.

Hermione looked at him with a bemused expression on her face. "Harry James Potter, what are you up to?"

Harry looked at her a minute, running his finger down the side of her face. "I love you," he said.

"I love you, too," she whispered. "Harry..."

"Marry me," he suddenly breathed.

"What?" she asked, not sure if she'd heard him correctly. "What did you just say?"

"Will you marry me Hermione?" Harry asked quickly, afraid his voice might fail him. With a shaky hand, he pulled the jewellery box out of his pocket and held it in front her.

Hermione stared at him in disbelief and then her eyes fell on the most beautiful ring she'd ever seen in her life. Words failed her and she could do nothing but look at the green-eyed man kneeling on one knee in front of her.

"I know it seems sort of sudden," Harry felt the need to fill the air in front of him with words. "But I love you more than anything. And I want you to be my wife. I want us to be together in every way possible."

"Oh, Harry," she whispered. "I don't know what to say."

"Yes would be a good start," he said nervously.

With tears shining in her eyes, she smiled at him. "Yes," she answered. "Yes, I'll marry you."

Harry released a breath he hadn't realised he was holding.

She launched herself at him and hugged him tightly, causing him to stumble slightly.

"You said yes..." he said, still holding onto the jewellery box.

"I did," she said dreamily, the tears flowing freely down her cheeks.

"Then why are you crying?" he asked, laughing a little.

"Because I'm so happy, you git," she said laughing, too. She pulled away and he took her trembling hand in his and slid the ring onto her finger.

"I hope you like the ring," Harry said softly.

"It's beautiful," Hermione said, holding up her hand and admiring the ring. "Where did you get it?"

"Back in New Zealand," Harry said. "I've been waiting for the right moment..."

"This is certainly the right moment," she said, looping her arms around his neck before kissing him.

Harry kissed her back, almost laughing in relief. "I can't believe you said yes..." he murmured.

"You can't be serious," Hermione said laughing.

"I am," Harry replied, still holding onto her. "After we fought so much..."

"It didn't mean we stopped loving each other," Hermione interjected.

"I know," Harry rested his forehead on hers. He suddenly laughed and picked her up, swinging her around. "We're going to get married!"

"You're crazy," she giggled.

"All right, I'm crazy and you just agreed to marry me," Harry was still spinning them around.

"Yes I did," she said laughing. He finally set her down and Hermione felt dizzy and light-headed. "I'm so deliriously happy right now."

"Same here," Harry grinned. "I even asked your dad if he would approve of this and he said yes."

"My dad?" Hermione asked, surprised and touched at his gesture. "You must have scored major points with him for that."

"I hope so," Harry replied. "I just... I know you're close with your parents and so I wanted to make sure they were okay with us taking another big step."

"When I think I can't love you anymore than I already do, you do something like that and I just...I fall in love with you all over again," she said, hugging him tightly. "Take me home, Harry."

Harry grinned as he stuffed the box back in his pocket. Hermione grabbed the bottle of champagne again and he whisked her up in his arms and back to their cottage.

*** *** ***

Hermione was beaming the entire way home. This wasn't possible, she thought to herself as she and Harry walked up the front steps to the cottage. It couldn't be possible to be this happy. She couldn't stop looking at her ring, not only because it was beautiful, but to remind her that this was all, in fact, real.

"You don't think it's too late to call my parents, do you?" Hermione asked as Harry fumbled in his pocket for the keys. "Lavender is going to be over the moon about this!"

"Well..." Harry said, still elated at the fact that they were indeed engaged. "Lavender already knows..."

Hermione stared at him in disbelief. "She knew and she didn't tell me!"

"That was the whole point," Harry opened the door for her. "Wait in the hallway there a moment."

"Okay," she said, watching bemusedly as her boyfriend or rather now her fiancé walked away. She couldn't imagine what else he could have done to top that proposal.

Harry grinned at the setup in the living room. With a wave of his wand, several candles were lit and a nice fire was going in the fireplace. "Okay," he said, coming out of the room. "Close your eyes."

"Harry, what else have you done?" she asked. When he came back into the hallway, he gave her a stern look and so Hermione did as she was told and closed her eyes.

"All right," his breath was warm on her ear. "I'm just going to bring you right... in here..."

"Can I open my eyes yet?" she asked, a smile still planted firmly on her lips.

"Now you can," Harry said.

Hermione opened her eyes and gasped as she took in everything. Suddenly, the room was filled with soft music and Hermione turned around and looked at Harry with a teasing expression on her face. "You must have been pretty sure I was going to say yes to plan something like this."

"I had an inkling," Harry teased. "I was still nervous but I figured if all else failed I could bring you back here and woo you."

Hermione laughed and embraced him. "This is amazing."

"You're amazing," Harry said softly.

Hermione kicked off her shoes and grinned at him. "Dance with me?" she asked, holding out her hand.

"Of course," Harry replied.

He pulled her close and they began to sway to the music. Hermione rested her head on Harry's chest and sighed happily.

"What are you thinking about?" Harry asked, kissing her head.

"You, of course," she said softly. "This entire night has been the sweetest, most romantic, most amazing night of my life."

"Same here," Harry said. He dipped her back, both of them laughing.

"Do you think we'll still be like this when we're the boring, old married couple?' she asked.

"I should think so," Harry mused. "It won't be much different than we are now really."

"Except I'll have your last name," she said with a laugh. "Hermione Potter...what do you think?"

"That sounds fantastic," Harry said huskily. "And we'll have the same initials too. That'll make towel monogramming much easier."

Hermione laughed. "Admit it, that's the real reason why you asked, isn't it?"

"Of course it is," Harry replied smoothly.

"And you know what this means, don't you?" she asked, as he spun her around. "You're stuck with me forever...think you can handle that?"

"I should be asking YOU that," Harry pulled her close again. "Hey didn't you say you wanted to ring your parents?" he asked a few moments later.

"Yes," she said, pulling abruptly away from him and heading for the telephone. "Do you think it's too late to call?"

"Maybe, but when you tell them why I don't think it'll matter," Harry stayed close to her, his arms wrapped around her waist.

Hermione smiled and quickly dialled her parents' number. It didn't even ring a second before Lavender's voice came on the line.

"Granger residence," she answered quickly. "Hermione is that you? Did you say yes?"

"Say yes to what?" Hermione teased, winking at Harry.

"To..." Lavender stopped. "Hermione don't tease me!"

"Of course I said yes," Hermione said laughing.

Lavender squealed so loudly and shrilly that Harry could hear it from three feet away. "That's wonderful!"

"Is Mum still awake?" Hermione asked, holding the phone away from her ear. She covered the received with her hand and whispered to Harry, "If she wasn't before, she has to be now with Lavender carrying on like that."

"No kidding," Harry whispered back.

"I think she's in bed but I don't think she's asleep yet," Lavender replied. "I'll go get her. Oooh Hermione I can't wait to start helping you plan this!"

"Wait, Lavender!" Hermione said quickly. "I wanted to ask you something first."

"What?" Lavender asked.

"Well, it's still early days yet, but I was hoping that you'd be my maid of honour," Hermione asked, trying not to laugh as Harry had covered his ears.

Lavender's reaction didn't disappoint. "Hermione are you serious?" she shrieked.

Hermione giggled. "Yes, who else would I ask? You're not only my cousin, you're my best friend, too."

"I'd love it," Lavender said and it sounded like she was sniffing back tears. "All right, let me go get Aunt Elinore..."

Hermione smiled at Harry. "She's gone to get Mum."

"Yeah I heard," Harry grinned wryly at her. "I think she's more excited than we are."

"That's not possible," Hermione said, winking at him. "She's just more demonstrative."

Harry gave her a quick kiss, leaning next to her so he could hear Elinore's reaction.

Elinore came on the line. "Hermione? Lavender says you have news for me?"

Harry grinned at his fiancée. "Mum, Harry and I are getting married!" Hermione crowed excitedly.

There was no response on the end of the line and Hermione's smile faded a bit. "Mum? Are you there?"

"Oh Hermione," Elinore finally said. "This is wonderful sweetheart! I'm sorry I was just so surprised!"

"So was I!" Hermione exclaimed and she briefly related Harry's proposal to her mother. By the end of the conversation, they were both in tears.

Harry shook his head. "Women," he groaned.

Hermione frowned. "Mum, I'm going to go now, but Harry and I will come by tomorrow afternoon, okay?"

"All right sweetheart," Elinore said. "Did you want me to get your father on the phone?"

"No, it's okay," Hermione said with a grin. "He already knows. Harry sort of talked about it with him before he asked me."

"Oh how lovely of him," Elinore smiled as she thought of the man who would now be her son in law. "We'll expect you around three, is that okay?"

"It's great," Hermione said. "We'll see you then. Love you." She hung up the phone and turned around to face her boyfriend, but found he wasn't standing there anymore. "Harry?"

"What?" he called out.

"Where are you?" she asked, trying to follow the sound of his voice.

"In here," he said.

Hermione grinned as she came back into the living room and saw him sitting on the sofa, pouring them both glasses of champagne.

"Its official now," she said, coming up behind him and wrapping her arms around his neck. "You've won over my entire family."

"Have I?" Harry turned to kiss her. "Such a change from this summer aye?"

"Definitely," she said, coming back around to sit beside him. "I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when you went and spoke with my dad."

"It wasn't bad," Harry handed her a flute. "Honestly, I went to his office and he only had a few minutes. I was more messed up because we'd had that big fight and I sort of blurted out that I wanted to marry you."

"I'm so glad that the two of you are getting along," she said.

"Aye we are," Harry tapped his glass softly to hers.

Hermione took a sip from her glass. "And my mum has always liked you..."

"That's good," Harry smiled at her as he slid his arm around her shoulders. He chuckled softly. "Now that I've asked you, I feel all relaxed."

"Do you now?" Hermione asked, leaning against him, curling her legs up under her. "The hard work is just beginning. We've got to plan, plan, and plan."

"Isn't that the woman's part?" Harry teased.

"If you think you can just sit back while I plan this all by myself---well, you've just got another thing coming, Harry James Potter," she said, elbowing him in the ribs.

"Ouch," he was laughing. "Well I guess our first thing we have to figure out is setting a date. After that then we have to decide if this will be Muggle or done in the Wizarding World."

Hermione looked at him properly. "When did you want to get married? Your schedule's more inflexible than mine. I don't have classes this summer, of course, but were you thinking of a longer engagement?"

"I was thinking... next year," Harry said pensively. "That gives you time to make it the wedding of your dreams."

Hermione smiled. "How about next June?"

"June sounds great to me," Harry said. "Maybe... exactly two years from the day you arrived at Hillsdale. Two years after the first time I ever saw you."

"And I know is probably going to sound a little silly," she began, her cheeks reddening.

"What?" Harry set his empty glass down and wrapped his other arm around her.

"When I was little and I used to picture myself getting married, I always saw myself in this beautiful white dress," she said, blushing. "I know we're supposed to wear dress robes, but I...I'd really like to wear a wedding dress. I'd still like it to be a wizarding wedding, but I'd really like to wear a dress."

"Anything you want," Harry said. "How will your relatives react to a wizarding ceremony? Aren't they all Muggles?"

Hermione's mouth fell open. "You're right. I hadn't thought about that!"

Harry kissed her forehead. "You mean I thought of something before you did? What's the world coming to?"

"Don't get used to it," Hermione teased.

He shook his head. "I like it when you get all competitive..."

"I was thinking the same thing about you just now," she said, leaning in for a kiss.

Harry let his lips linger on hers. "I still can't believe we're going to get married."

"We are," she said, loosening his tie.

"Next year, we're going to be married," Harry said.

"Any ideas for the honeymoon?" she asked.

"Not yet," Harry said. "Anyplace in particular you've been dying to go?"

"Some place warm," she said thoughtfully.

"It'll be warm here that time of year," Harry teased. "What about Antarctica?"

Hermione's nose scrunched up. "No, thank you. What about you? Where do you want to take me?"

"A hotel room," Harry ran his hand down her arm.

"A hotel room, eh?" she asked, laughing. "Okay...well, you may need to narrow it down a bit."

"Oh come on, any hotel room will do," Harry began to kiss the side of her neck. "That's all we'll likely see on a honeymoon."

"Mmm," she said as his tongue tickled her neck. "That's not necessarily true. We could go somewhere that has loads of museums and old relics and...Mmhmm....."

"Why would you want to go somewhere like that on a honeymoon?" Harry scoffed.

As Harry pulled one of the straps of her dress down, Hermione found herself asking the same question. "I-I don't know..."

"Me either," Harry kissed her skin as he bared it. "I love this dress you know..."

"You do?" Hermione asked huskily.

"I do," Harry pulled the other strap off. "But I like you in nothing even better."

Hermione smiled. "I like you that way as well."

"Well by all means then," Harry brought her hands to his shirt. "Undress me..."

With a wicked grin, Hermione undid his tie and made quick work of his buttons. She said a silent prayer that there would be no interruptions, no unexpected guests.

"Will we make it upstairs?" Harry groaned as she raked her nails over his chest.

"I don't know," she whispered. "Want to chance it?"

"Not really," Harry pulled her dress down, his lips attacking her skin.

Hermione fell back onto the couch and Harry eased himself on top of her. "Need you...now," she said in between kisses.

Harry felt her hands go to the snap on his trousers. She tugged it open and he helped her pull them off. He yanked at her knickers, sending the last pieces of clothing flying to the floor.

He kissed her again as he slowly entered her and Hermione wrapped her arms around his back, wanting him to be as close as humanly possible.

Harry groaned again as she pushed against him. "Hermione..." his breathing was hitched.

"Harry..." she said breathlessly as she felt herself being pushed to the edge.

He stared at her as she cried out. Just looking at her face made his heart beat even faster and the amazement at the fact that she had agreed to spend the rest of her life with him officially returned. "I just... love you... too damn much..." he groaned.

Hermione's eyes locked with his as he came and she felt him collapse beside her. They were both breathless and knackered.

"Wow..." Harry finally muttered.

"I know," she whispered.

"You are incredible," Harry pushed some stray hair off her sweaty forehead. "I'm a lucky bloke."

She smiled. "We're both lucky."

Harry picked her left hand up. "I'm really glad you like your ring,"

"I love my ring," she corrected. "I'm never going to take it off. Never."

"That's good," Harry nudged her ear. "You should have seen Neville... I dragged him around for two hours to find this."

"You did the same when he picked out Cho's ring," Hermione pointed out.

"Yeah but it only took him about a half hour to find one," Harry chuckled.

"Why'd it take you so long?' she asked.

"I had to find the perfect ring," Harry said as if she should have known that all along.

"You did," she said, admiring her ring yet again.

"Good," Harry kissed her gently.

Hermione closed her eyes and buried her face in his chest. "Sleepy," she murmured.

"Same here," Harry said. He tiredly sat up, bringing her with him as he wrapped a blanket around them both. "Come on you," he said, using his wand to extinguish the fire and candles.

"We're sleeping in tomorrow," she said with a yawn. "Let's not get up until it's time to go to my parents."

"Works for me," Harry said. She stumbled against him and he scooped her up.

"My hero," she said sleepily.

"Always," Harry kissed her lightly.