Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: It's finally Christmas Day in the DD universe and we hope that you all enjoy it. We were tempted to withhold this chapter until December, but figured you'd hunt us down and we didn't want to live out our own version of the "Misery" book & movie. Everyone's favourite psycho isn't in this chapter, but if you'd like to know who we'd cast in the role if this was a movie...it's Jude Law (one of Amy's favourites and Heaven's too!). We hope you like this chapter and please review!

On Christmas morning, Hermione awoke first. She couldn't believe it was finally here. She and Harry had stayed up late the night before wrapping presents and watching movies. He was still asleep as she climbed out of bed and walked over to the window. She nearly gasped as she saw that snow had started to fall.

They were going to have a white Christmas after all. Everything was falling in to place just as she planned. So far, nothing had gone wrong. Although she wasn't a superstitious person, she couldn't resist knocking on the wooden bureau door.

She walked into the bathroom and brushed her teeth and tamed her hair as best she could. Her cotton pyjamas were warm and cosy and she didn't want to change out of them just yet. Besides, it wasn't a true Christmas morning unless you were still dressed in your pyjamas opening up presents. Everyone knew that.

Not being able to take it anymore, she bounded onto the bed again and at the top of her lungs said, "HAPPY CHRISTMAS, HARRY!" She laughed as he nearly shot out of bed.

"Bloody hell!" Harry said, rubbing his eyes blearily. "That's really not the way I prefer to be awakened Hermione."

Hermione tugged the duvet cover away from him, but he was stubbornly hanging on, not yet ready to get out of bed. "Come on, sleepyhead," she said excitedly. "It's Christmas!"

"And it's cold as hell in here," Harry replied. "Come on back under here for a minute."

"It's snowing," she said bobbing up and down on her knees. "Come on! You can't seriously want to spend the entire morning in bed, do you?"

Harry only grinned at her as he slid his glasses on his nose. "I can't think of any better Christmas present you could give me than that."

Hermione pulled a serious face and got off the bed and walked over to Harry's side, yanked off the duvet cover and held out her hand.

"What?" Harry looked back at her, grabbing for the cover.

"No you don't," Hermione said, pulling it back before he could get it. "Come on downstairs so we can open up our presents..."

"All right," Harry finally said. "I was only teasing you, you know."

"I know," she said throwing a sweatshirt at him. He was wearing only his pyjama bottoms. "Wouldn't want you to freeze, would we?"

"Have we got any tea left?" Harry asked.

"No," she said, shaking her head. "But, we do have some hot chocolate. I can go downstairs and warm some up while you make yourself presentable." Hermione waved her hand in front of her face and scrunched up her nose. "Didn't want to say anything but you have horrible morning breath."

"And I was going to go brush my teeth but maybe now I'll make you suffer," Harry said sarcastically.

"Go brush your teeth, Scrooge," Hermione said, putting on her slippers. "I'll meet you downstairs."

Harry couldn't resist giving her arse a little squeeze as she walked ahead of him down the hallway. She squealed and gave him a dirty look that melted into a grin, making him chuckle as he went into the loo. He couldn't think of a Christmas he'd ever looked forward to more than this one.

He quickly took care of business and went quietly downstairs. Hermione was at the stove, stirring the hot chocolate, adding a few marshmallows. "Happy Christmas!" Harry grabbed her around the waist.

"That's more like it," she said, grinning as he nuzzled her neck.

"But someone still owes me a proper good morning," Harry said.

"I do, don't I?" she asked turning around and wrapping her arms around his neck. Pressing her lips to his, she ran her fingers through his hair. When they broke apart a few moments later, Hermione smiled. "Much better."

"Yes, much," Harry replied. "And I know you're ready to open presents," he teased.

Hermione nodded eagerly. After she and Harry grabbed a couple of muffins and brought their hot chocolate into the living room, Hermione sat down in front of the Christmas tree.

"I feel almost like a child again," she said grinning excitedly at him. "When I was little, I used to try and stay awake all night on Christmas Eve so I could catch Santa Claus in the act. I always fell asleep though."

Harry smiled at her. "I never really believed in Santa Claus," he said thoughtfully as he started a small fire in the fireplace. "I suppose growing up and watching Dudley unwrap one gift after another sort of made me think he didn't exist- and then I got to Hogwarts and our gifts always 'mysteriously' appeared on our beds before we got up in the morning..." he shrugged. "But I always dreamed of a Christmas morning like this one, nice and quiet, with the woman I love."

"Harry," she said, feeling tears welling up in her eyes. "You're going to have many Christmases like this one. I don't know how quiet they'll always be..."

"As long as they're with you nothing else matters to me," Harry replied. "But now's not the time for tears," he brushed them away.

She nodded. "That's right...it's present time. Who gets to go first?"

"You do," Harry reached under the tree and selected a medium size box. He watched with a smile as Hermione squealed and tore into the paper. Inside was a very soft thick ivory cashmere jumper that he knew she would love.

"Harry," she said looking up at him with twinkling eyes. "This is so beautiful."

"I knew you had to have it," Harry said. "You can wear it in class when the room gets cold," he leaned over for a quick kiss.

She smiled as he handed her another beautifully wrapped box and she opened it to find a sterling silver framed photograph of the two of them. It was a Muggle photograph of two of them dancing at the Sheldrake.

"Where did you get this?" she asked, looking up at him.

"I have my sources," Harry said. "Had to do a bit of hunting... but that was sort of our first unofficial date."

"Yes, it was," she whispered, touching the frame. "I'll never forget that night."

"Me either," Harry grinned.

She placed the frame on the coffee table and noticed a smaller package in Harry's hands. "Is that for me, too?"

"Why yes it is," Harry replied, handing it to her. "I don't know many other Hermione's that I'd be giving gifts to today."

She laughed. "I didn't want to just assume."

He grinned as Hermione removed the wrapping from the box, sipping his hot chocolate as he anticipated her reaction. "Oh..." her voice died. "Harry...."

"It's a Claddagh ring," he set his mug down. "I assume, that you, the brainiac would know how it works," Harry teased.

Hermione gave him a look. "Yes, smart arse, I do." She replied. "If I wear the heart facing upside down, it means I'm available. But since I'm most assuredly not single, I wear it right side up."

"That's my girl," Harry slid it onto her right hand ring finger.

"Alright, mister," she said after admiring her new ring for a few moments, reaching under the tree and pulling out a few packages. "Your turn."

Harry accepted the gift, tearing eagerly like a young boy, leaving the wrapping paper in tatters on the floor. "Hey..." he lifted a crew neck jumper from the box; it was soft like the one he'd given her only his was camel coloured rather than ivory. "This is fantastic!"

"Great minds think alike," she said, winking at him.

"That they do," Harry kissed his girlfriend. "I'll wear it today."

Hermione slid another box in his direction and she giggled as she watched him shake the box. "Quit shaking it and open it," she said, biting her bottom lip.

"Yes dear," Harry replied. It was a much smaller box than the other and he could swear Hermione was nervous about giving this one to him, as she was fiddling with the ring he'd just given her and looking on anxiously.

"Wow," Harry's eyes widened as he opened the small box and saw a sterling silver ID bracelet with thick, masculine chain links on either side of the panel inside. He plucked it from the box and saw his full name engraved on one side.

"Look underneath it," Hermione said.

Harry did as he was told and he grinned when he saw 'Forever yours, Hermione' engraved there. "I love it," he said. "I absolutely love it!"

"You do?" she asked. "I wasn't sure if you'd like it or not, but I thought I'd take the chance..."

"It's perfect!" Harry tried to fasten it and Hermione had to help him. "You've staked your claim on me now." He teased. "You got me to wear jewellery."

"So I didn't really have you before?" she asked trying not to laugh.

"You always had me," Harry pulled her onto his lap. "Now everyone that didn't know it before will realise it too."

"Good," Hermione kissed him lovingly. "Can't have those other witches thinking they've got a chance with you."

"They don't?" Harry joked. "Better cancel my dates for tomorrow night then."

"There's only one witch you have a date with tomorrow night and that witch is me," Hermione said playfully.

"Right," Harry leaned in for a slow, drugging kiss. Hermione wrapped her arms around his neck as she opened her mouth under his.

He tasted like the hot chocolate they'd been drinking and the mint toothpaste they both used, and it was so utterly and adorably Harry that Hermione almost felt tears come to her eyes again. She wasn't sure exactly what was wrong with her- most likely just the spirit of the holiday making her emotions run wild- but when he finally pulled away she held onto him for a few extra moments.

"What is it?" Harry pushed back a lock of her hair. "You're crying again…"

"Sorry," Hermione replied, burying her face in his shoulder. "I'm just really happy that we're here together. Sometimes I still can't believe we made everything work out the way we have."

Harry smiled as he hugged her tightly. "It sure hasn't been smooth sailing has it?"

"Not really… but as long as we can keep having moments like these I think we can take anything that comes our way."

"That's right," Harry kissed her softly. "What say we finish unwrapping these presents at your mum and dad's house and for now, let's hop in the shower?"

Hermione laughed. "Such a one track mind Potter, but I agree."

*** *** ***

Hermione laughed as she handed identical gifts to her father and Harry. "I think you'll both like these," she said mischievously.

Harry grinned at her as he tore open the paper. "Oh Hermione, you really shouldn't have," he shook his head as he lifted an apron that said Chef Junior written on it.

"Yes dear, you really shouldn't have," Robert also lifted one, only his said Chef Senior. "Senior indeed," he grunted, making his wife and niece shriek in laughter.

"Uncle Robert, if it wasn't for you we'd all have gone hungry tonight," Lavender said patting him on the back.

"That's right," Hermione grinned at her father. "That was the best Christmas supper we've had in a long time."

"It must be something in our genes," Elinore said to her niece and daughter. "Now that I think of it, none of the women in our family can cook. Lucky for us, we all married men who could."

"Or will," Hermione shared a secret smile with Harry, who put the apron back in the box and put it aside. "Who's next?"

"Harry's still got another one under here," Lavender said, pulling a wrapped package out from under the tree. The package had an envelope on top of it. Lavender handed it to Harry, who opened up the card first. Inside were gift slips to a number of Harry's favourite wizarding shops.

"Robert and I weren't really sure what to get you, but we thought this way you could get what you wanted," Elinore said to him. "Hermione helped us out, of course."

"Oh this is perfect!" Harry looked through the stack. "Quality Quidditch, Madam Malkin's... " he grinned at Lavender. "Thank you both," he hugged Elinore and after a slight moment's hesitation, hugged Robert as well. "These will come in very handy."

"You're quite welcome," Elinore said smiling at him. "Don't forget the present. That's from Robert."

Harry pulled the paper off the parcel and began to laugh. "Golf for Dummies," he read out loud, Robert chortling heartily at the look on Harry's face.

Hermione was trying hard not to laugh herself. "That's really nice Uncle Robert," Lavender was giggling.

"Well, I figured he could use all the help he could get," Robert said. "Read up on that Harry and I guarantee you'll be great come March and April when we can get back out there."

"Can't wait," Harry's eyes twinkled. "Of course you know, this might help me beat you..." he joked.

"That sounds like a challenge, Dad," Hermione said.

"I'm always up for a challenge," Robert grinned. "I'll take you on out on the course anytime Harry."

"You've got yourself a deal," Harry said, shaking Robert's hand. He looked over at Seamus, who'd been conspicuously quiet throughout the entire conversation. "Hey, Finnigan...care to join in on the challenge?"

Seamus held up his hands. "No offence Potter, but I've heard stories about you out there. Don't want to show you up any more than you've done for yourself."

"You're not going to let him get off that easy are you, Harry?" Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head. "I'll beat the both of you out there next time we golf," he said airily. "Have your fun at my expense now," he grinned to let them know he wasn't serious.

"Dr. Granger, if you think Harry's bad at golf, you should see him at wizard's chess. Harry, how many games is it that you've lost now?" Seamus asked with a wink at Lavender.

"What is this, pick on Potter day?" Harry asked. "Hermione defend me on something!"

Hermione looked thoughtful. "I'm thinking...."

"Thanks," Harry said sarcastically. "How about I take your next gift back to the store instead of giving it to you?"

Hermione looked at him. "Gift...what gift? Are you saying you got me something else, too?"

"Yes," Harry handed her the small box.

"You're just full of surprises today, aren't you?" she asked him as Lavender stood up from the sofa and stood behind Hermione to get a better look at the gift. Hermione slowly unwrapped the present and opened it up to see a beautiful silver heart shaped locket. "Harry..." she whispered.

"Open it," he said, sliding an arm over her shoulder as she let the paper drop to the floor.

Hermione gingerly picked up the locket from the box and opened it.

"Oooh," Lavender was the first to say something as the picture inside appeared. "I've heard about these lockets! Where did you find one Harry?"

"In Hogsmeade," Harry replied. "They're a special kind of locket that shows the person you're thinking of and what they're doing at that very moment," he explained to Robert and Elinore.

Hermione felt her lower lip begin to tremble again.

"Here we go," Robert joked. "Harry, you know you've done well with a present when you've reduced her to tears."

"She's been crying all day for some reason or another," Harry teased her gently.

"I get emotional over the holidays," Hermione said defensively. "And you're certainly not helping things being all wonderful like you are."

"Mr. Wonderful," Lavender said under her breath. Harry, Robert and Seamus began to laugh as Hermione shot her a dirty look.

"I promise that the waterworks are done for now," she said, wiping a tear from her cheek. She looked at Harry. "Will you help me put it on?"

"Of course," Harry fastened the chain, letting his fingers brush over her skin as Seamus got up from his spot on the sofa.

"How's it look?" she asked, turning around.

"Perfect," Harry said, chancing a quick kiss on the lips from her.

"Thank you," Hermione whispered.

"How about you now," Seamus smiled at Lavender. "I'm afraid it's not as fancy as that locket but I think you'll like this." he gave her a box only slightly larger than the one Harry had just given Hermione.

Lavender smiled at him as she began to open the present. Her breath caught in her throat as she looked at what was inside. A few weeks ago, she and Seamus had been walking in downtown London when they passed a display window that had a beautiful bracelet with heart shaped links. He's laughed at her when she'd just stared in the window at it transfixed.

"You remembered?" she asked, looking up at him with twinkling eyes. "But you made fun of me for looking at it so long..."

"I had to throw you off the trail somehow," Seamus teased her.

"Lavender, that's gorgeous," Hermione said admiring it. "Well done, Seamus."

"Thank you," he grinned at Harry. "I was hoping she wouldn't grab one for herself before I got the chance to give it to her."

"Madam Malkin doesn't pay me that well yet," Lavender said, admiring the bracelet. "This bracelet was made for my wrist."

"Aye," Seamus grinned as she hugged him tightly. "Glad you like it," he choked out.

Everyone laughed. "Oh!" Lavender exclaimed suddenly, abruptly pulling away from him. "I have something for you too!" She walked over to the tree and pulled out the last package under the tree and struggled to pick it up. "It's a little heavy," she said.

"What did you buy me, dead weights?" Seamus joked.

"No," she retorted. "Harry, could you help me?"

Harry laughed as he easily picked up the box. "If Neville were here that would probably topple him over."

"I'll remember to tell him you said that," Seamus said, laughing as Harry set the box down in front of him.

"Okay," Lavender said, sitting down beside him. "I wasn't sure what to get you, but Hermione and I went to this book shop in London and I saw all these books and I just knew that you had to have them and if you already have them it's okay, you could tell me, and we can just return them..."

"Lav," Hermione said, biting her lip to keep from giggling. "Take a breath."

"How about I open it first?" Seamus smiled at his girlfriend. Robert sat back along the other sofa, smiling at his wife and happy to see his daughter and his niece so happy with their respective others.

"Okay," Lavender said blushing. She watched with baited breath as Seamus began to open the box.

"Wow!" his eyes grew wide. He lifted out several thick tomes, with titles describing various things he would need to know for lighting, directing, sets, even a book or two on costuming and blocking. "How did you know I could use all these?"

"You don't have them already?" she asked.

"No I've been looking for a couple of them for quite awhile now though." he grinned at her.

"I'm so glad you like them," she said relieved, giving him a chaste kiss.

"Only a few more left," Elinore said as Hermione began to stuff discarded wrapping paper into a bag.

"There should be one more for Hermione," Harry said.

Hermione looked up from the bag and stared at him in disbelief. "Harry James Potter, what else did you get me?"

Harry smiled at her as Robert also got on his knees. "There should be one more for Elinore as well." he pawed through the wrapping paper until he held two packages in his hands.

"What did you do?" Elinore asked, raising an eyebrow at her husband.

"Open up," he handed one to his wife and the other to his daughter. "These feel about the same weight Harry," he looked at the younger man curiously.

"Curious," Harry said, shrugging.

Hermione and her mother exchanged looks. "Should we open them together or should one of us go first?" Hermione asked,

"Let's just open them together," Elinore was too eager to wait and she knew Hermione was the same way.

Hermione nodded. "Okay...one, two, three," she said, as she and her mother began to unwrap the gifts simultaneously.

Hermione smiled as she saw it was a book. She knew Harry wouldn't have let the day go by without getting her a book. Her smile faltered a bit when she caught sight of the title. "The Absolute Beginner's Cookbook: Or, How Long Do I Cook a 3-minute Egg?" Hermione read aloud the title.

Elinore looked at her own book and read that title aloud. "Cooking for Dummies."

Harry and Robert began to laugh, as did Lavender when she caught sight of the titles. "You bought them how-to cookbooks!" the blonde was giggling so hard she had to sit down.

"Did the two of you go in on this together?" Elinore asked, looking between her husband and Harry.

"No," Harry began to laugh harder. "As Hermione said earlier, great minds think alike!"

Hermione stood up and walked over to her boyfriend and gave him a hug. "You remember that night you slept on the sofa?" she whispered.

Harry smiled calmly at her. "And this time you can cook breakfast as an apology," he grinned endearingly at her.

"You are so lucky you did so well with everything else," she said, laughing despite herself. "I can't believe you and Dad got the same gift for Mum and me. I guess you're both a lot more alike than you thought."

"Guess so," Harry pulled her down next to him.

"Oh, Harry," Elinore said. "I meant to tell you that your aunt and uncle sent us a card and fruitcake for Christmas."

"You call that thing fruitcake?" Lavender asked, shaking her head. "Aunt Elinore, it was as hard as a brick!"

"So maybe Petunia should have gotten a copy of this book as well," Elinore joked.

"Don't tell me you ate any of it," Harry said, shuddering. "I remember she used to make me eat it and I nearly chipped a tooth on it."

"Harry we couldn't even slice into it," Robert replied. "I used my sharpest chopping knife and it barely made a dent."

"Not to mention that horrible card with their family portrait on it," Lavender said. "Happy family my arse."

"Can I see it?" Harry asked interestedly.

"Sure," Lavender said, getting to her feet and walking over to the table by the door. She opened up a drawer and pulled the card out. Handing it over to Harry, she couldn't help remarking that it was hard to believe they were related to Harry.

"I can't believe that Dudley's gotten even larger," Harry commented.

"That IS hard to believe," Hermione winced as she thought about Dudley stepping on her feet all the time during the summer holiday.

"I'm sorry for ever trying to push him on you, Hermione," Robert said sincerely to his daughter.

"All's well that ends well Dad," Hermione rested her head on Harry's shoulder. "My feet have survived."

"I don't know what you were thinking, Uncle Robert," Lavender said. "He was absolutely hideous."

"Forgive me," Robert smiled. "Well now that presents are out of the way, who wants some dessert?"

"It's not that fruitcake, is it?" Seamus asked, following his girlfriend and Robert and Elinore into the kitchen. Harry and Hermione stayed in the living room, enjoying the warmth from the fireplace.

"This was such a good Christmas," Harry said softly.

"It's not over yet," she said, her head still resting on his shoulder.

"What more is there?" Harry asked, his arms sneaking around her.

"If I told you, it'd spoil the surprise," she said huskily.

"Hint?" Harry asked.

"You remember that bath stuff Lavender gave me," she said. "I was thinking that we have that nice big bathtub at home and..."

Harry grinned. "When do we leave?" he asked jokingly.

"After dessert, why don't you start talking about how knackered you are," she suggested. "Then, I'll say how we really hate to break up the party, but we have to get home."

"Are we having pumpkin pie?" Harry asked.

"I think so," she said curiously. "Why?"

"Well we'll definitely have to stay for a slice or two of that," Harry replied.

"Of course," Hermione said, giggling. "Wouldn't want to miss out on that."

He got up from the sofa, holding onto her hand as they went into the kitchen. "Can we help with anything?" Harry asked.

"Translation: give me a piece of pie," Seamus said cheekily.

"Hey I do my fair share in the kitchen," Harry defended himself. "Much better than Bachelor Seamus over there."

"Boys, boys, boys," Lavender said, laughing as she sliced Harry and Hermione each a piece of pie.

"Thank you Lav," Harry said, handing the first slice to his girlfriend.

Hermione took a bite. "Mmm....we could have just eaten this tonight and I'd have been happy."

Harry grinned at her. "This is a fantastic pie." he agreed.

"There's plenty here," Elinore said. "You're more than welcome to take some home with you."

"Don't tell him that or he'll take half the pie," Robert joked.

"Robert," Elinore said, nudging her husband. "If Harry wants to take the pie home, he's more than welcome to...he's...he's part of our family now."

Hermione grinned at that and she squeezed Harry's hand under the table. "Thank you, Dr. Granger," Harry replied.

Lavender shook her head, a small smile on her face. She was deliriously happy- both for her cousin and herself.

"What are you grinning about Miss Brown?" Seamus asked her.

"Everything," Lavender replied pertly. "Why, are you complaining about my smile?" she teased.

He shook his head. "Not at all. I love that smile."

"Good," Lavender replied.

After everyone had a second serving of pie, Hermione kicked Harry's foot under the table.

On cue, Harry let out a loud yawn. "Boy am I knackered. Hermione woke me up at the crack of dawn this morning to open presents."

"She was always like that on Christmas morning," Robert recalled. "She'd come barrelling into the room waking us all up and dragging us out of bed."

"So not much has changed aye?" Harry teased. "She also nearly screamed my ear off because it was snowing."

"How you can't get excited on Christmas morning is beyond me," Hermione said, shaking her head.

"Maybe next Christmas I'll be a little more excited." Harry grinned at her. "This was the first one I've ever had with a family."

"First of many," Elinore chimed in smiling at Harry.

Hermione nodded. "That's for sure." she got up from her chair, Harry following suit.

As she walked by Lavender and Seamus, Hermione swore she heard them say "rabbits" under their breath. As she leaned down to give her cousin a goodbye hug, Lavender whispered in her ear, "You're no more tired than I am and you know it."

"Yes but I'm getting out of here sooner," Hermione smirked. "Bet you wish you'd thought of that."

"You're right," Lavender said, nodding. She stood up and pecked Harry on the cheek and wished him a Happy Christmas as Hermione did the same to Seamus.

Minutes later found Harry and Hermione walking briskly down the pavement. "We got out of there pretty smoothly," Harry said, shifting the bag of gifts to his other hand so he could wrap his arm around Hermione.

"I don't think we fooled anyone though," she said, with a laugh.

"I thought I heard Lavender and Seamus say rabbits," Harry joked.

"That they did," Hermione said. "I think they're just mad they didn't think of it first."

"I'm sure they were," Harry said. "That's why I'm glad to have the brainy one on my side."

"That the only reason?" she asked.

Harry grinned at her. "Far from the only reason." It had started to snow again a little while they were eating dessert and the tiny flakes fell on her eyelashes. "You're also the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen as well as the most intelligent and I'm the luckiest bloke alive when you say you love me."

Hermione smiled. "I love you," she said.

"Lucky bloke!" Harry raised his arm off her shoulder and pumped it in the air, making her laugh.

She stopped and turned to him, placing her hand on his chest. "Thank you," she said.

"For what?" he asked.

"For everything you gave me today." Hermione replied. "Just… for being you and…" her voice trailed off as she kissed him. "I love you so much is all."

"I love you very much too," Harry said huskily, setting the bag down so he could pull her to him and kiss her properly. "And thank you for giving me the best Christmas holiday I could have ever asked for."

"You're welcome," Hermione kissed him again quickly. "Now how about we get back and use those bath oils?" her eyes were already dark with desire.

"Sounds great to me," Harry hugged her closely before picking up the bag again, sliding his gloved hand around hers.

*** *** ***

Christmas at the Burrow was as lively and festive as ever. Nearly everyone had made it home for the holiday, save for Ginny and Percy. Molly had kept herself busy with preparations to keep her mind off their absences. Luckily, she'd had her hands full with her grandchildren and her twin sons who were as mischievous as ever.

Most everyone was staying over for the night, except for Luna and her dad who were going to be heading home later. The evening had been quite a success and Luna's dad had hit it off with Arthur. At the moment, they were in Arthur's study going over some of the Muggle artefacts Arthur had collected.

Luna sat in front of the fire with Ron, both drinking mugs of hot chocolate. Everyone else was in the kitchen. "I'm really glad that you invited Daddy and me," Luna said smiling as she rested her head on Ron's shoulder.

"I'm glad you came," Ron put his arms around her.

"I really like it here," she said dreamily. "I always have. You're so lucky that you grew up in a place like this. The first time I walked in here, I felt at home."

Ron smiled. "It's the only home I've ever known," he said. "And I'm glad it means as much to do as it does to me."

She smiled as she listened to the sounds of the crackling fire intermingling with the distant sounds of voices and laughter coming from the kitchen. "Thank you for my present," Luna said, looking down at the puppy that was sitting at the end of the sofa. "I've always wanted a dog."

Ron grinned as the chocolate lab barked. "What are you going to name him?"

"Hmmm," she said, laughing as the dog came and sat on her lap. "Any ideas?"

"It's your pup," Ron laughed as the dog eagerly licked his fingers when he rubbed between its ears. "My names all revolve around snack foods."

"Well," Luna said, thoughtfully. "If you want to go that way, how about Brownie? Biscuit?"

Ron laughed. "Chocolate, vanilla," he teased.

"Don't start...you'll just want to go raid the kitchen again," Luna laughed. "Maybe, I should name him something that is symbolic of our relationship?"

Ron grinned. "Butterbeer cork?"

"Shut up, you," she said, hitting him on the arm. "I'm serious...maybe something with dancing...let's see...mambo, tango, rumba, salsa...."

"Mumbo jumbo," Ron still teased. "If Harry gave Hermione a dog they could name it Rabbit."

"I've got it!" Luna said suddenly, sitting up so abruptly she startled both the puppy and Ron.

"What?" Ron asked as the puppy scampered into his arms.

"Don't laugh," she said, shaking her head. "But what would you think about Paddington?"

Ron grinned. "What say you fellow? You like your name?" He held up the puppy in front of him, laughing as the dog wagged its tail back and forth furiously. "I think he likes it.... hey!" he said as something cold hit his chest. "It's peeing on me!"

Luna dissolved into a fit of laughter at the look on Ron's face as he held Paddington away from him.

"Great," Ron moaned. "Does this mean Paddington likes me or hates me?" he passed the wriggling puppy to Luna.

"I think it means he likes you," Luna said, still giggling. The puppy rested its head on her lap. "He just needs to be trained is all, Ron."

Ron, still muttering, grabbed his wand. "There," he said his jumper now dry. "You found that hilarious didn't you," he sat back down, the puppy looking up him with his head resting on his overly large paws.

"I don't know about him, but I sure did," Luna teased.

"Cute," Ron leaned forwards for a kiss.

Luna pressed her lips to his and they kissed for a few moments until Ron's stomach growling interrupted them. "How could you still be hungry after all that you ate?" she asked, pulling away from him.

"I'm a big boy," he grinned at her.

"This has really been a great Christmas," she said, resting her head on his shoulder again.

"That it has," he scratched between Paddington's ears. He wondered briefly if he should tell Luna about his plans or if it was too soon- they hadn't even been officially back together for a week.

She felt him tense up a bit and she lifted her head and looked at him. "Is everything okay?" she asked concerned.

"Its fine," Ron smiled at her.

"Are you sure?" she asked. "Because you've looked all night as if you've been on the verge of telling me something..."

"Well..." Ron sat up straight. "I'm trying to think of the best way to say this without messing it up like I did before."

"It's just me, Ron," Luna said with a reassuring smile. "You can tell me anything, right?"

"Well..." Ron drummed his fingers nervously on the rug. "Remember... how we kept getting into fights because I said I didn't want us to get serious and all that rubbish?"

"Yes," Luna answered. "I remember."

"That really didn't come out right," he reached out to stroke Paddington's soft fur. "What I meant to say..." Ron said slowly. "Before... you and I take any really serious steps... I thought maybe we should..."

Luna felt a lurch in her stomach...he couldn't be so cruel as to set her up like this and then knock her right back down again, could he? "Yes..." she said weakly.

"I was thinking we should try living together," Ron said in a rush.

"If you think I'm just going to let you..." she said quickly, but her voice trailed off. Pulling a confused face, she stared at him. "W-what did you just say?"

"Am I too soon in asking you this?" Ron asked.

Luna's mouth opened, but closed again. She couldn't have heard him right. "Um…did you just ask me to move in with you?"

"Well... yeah..." Ron said sheepishly. "I know I don't have a place yet but I've been looking for one, and I've been saving up- that's why I never wanted to go out. I wanted it to be a surprise but--"

"Why didn't you tell me that's what you were doing?" she asked softly. "If I had known that was why, I wouldn't have..."

"Well you know that my brain and my mouth don't always connect," Ron tried to joke.

"But you didn't have to save up all by yourself, Ron," Luna said seriously. "I wouldn't expect you to pay for it all on your own. We're in this relationship together."

"So..." Ron pulled Paddington off Luna's lap. "You want to give this a go? You want to look around and find the perfect place for us?"

"This is all pretty soon," Luna answered. "I might need some time to think about it."

"That's fine," Ron said. "Take all the time you need... I just didn't want to keep any secrets between us. Not this time," he stroked her cheek.

A smile played at Luna's lips. "Okay...I've thought about it."

Ron laughed. "So soon Ms. Lovegood?"

"Yes, you daft git," Luna said giggling. "I guess you, me and Paddington here could definitely find a place that's big enough for the three of us."

Ron leaned forward not giving her a chance to catch her breath as he kissed her. "Let's take our time and look around," he said when they pulled back.

"Definitely," Luna agreed.