Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time of Their Life by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time of Their Life

Amynoelle and Heaven

Author's note: Thanks for all the feedback, guys! We hope that you all had a Happy Christmas. Here is Chapter 40. To clear up some confusion---the reporter from the Daily Prophet-Andrew Murphy---didn't die. Gordon used "obliviate" on him which erased Andrew's memories…didn't kill him. This is a long chapter and we hope you enjoy it. Only five more to go!

CHAPTER FORTY

Ron hated doing inventory- it was probably the only bad thing about the promotion his brothers had given him. It was a tie between that and scheduling his employees to run the shop. "Ow!" he frowned down at the puppy, who was sitting with his tail wagging. "Quit nipping at my leg, you!"

Luna looked up from her own research and smiled. "He's bored, Ron," she said, watching as Paddington nipped at Ron's leg and then ran toward the front door.

"Well so am I but I've got to get this done," Ron replied. "I just walked him a half hour ago so I know he doesn't need to do his business."

Luna giggled. "With the weather warming up like it has, he likes to be outside. Here, Paddy. Come here, boy." Paddington ran toward Luna who patted him lovingly. "That's my sweet Paddy," she said sweetly to him. "Ickle Ronniekins won't take you out, will he?"

"Make me look like the bad guy," Ron grumbled.

"As if I could," Luna said as Paddington ran back in Ron's direction. "I think he likes you more than me some days."

"Aren't I a lucky one?" Ron grinned as the dog's tail wagged more furiously. "All right you little shit..." he got up and went for the basket in the corner that housed most of Paddington's toys.

"Ronald!" Luna chastised. "Don't call him that!"

"What like he understands?" Ron grabbed a ball.

"He does," Luna said. "Dogs are quite intelligent creatures."

"Not this one," Ron snorted.

"I heard the same about you," Luna joked. "Didn't stop me from going out with you."

"Hey!" Ron tossed the ball across the living room and Paddington tore after it.

"Only teasing," Luna said quickly, giving him a reassuring smile. "How's the inventory coming along?"

"At a standstill for now," Ron rubbed the dog's ears as he brought the ball back over to him. "Good boy Paddy."

Luna sighed as she sat back in her chair. "It's amazing what you can find out about a person with a little research," she commented.

"What do you mean?" Ron asked, tossing the ball across the room again. "You still looking at stuff on Gordon for Harry?"

"Yes," Luna said. "That's pretty much all I've been doing since I've been back. And at first, I didn't think I'd find anything, but I've managed to dig up quite a bit."

"Like what?" Ron asked curiously.

"Well I told you about him being expelled from Beauxbatons, right?" she asked him. "Well, his parents...they've not been seen for quite some time. I may have a lead on them...but I'm still not sure."

"You think he did something to them?" Ron asked carefully.

"It seems so," Luna replied, shaking her head. There was a knock on the door and Luna watched as Paddington made a beeline for the door. "That should be Harry. I asked him to stop by."

"All right," Ron resumed his spot at the coffee table and began going over his inventory again.

"Come in!" Luna called out.

Harry pushed the door open and was almost bowled over by Paddington. "Hey there fellow," He laughed.

"Hey, Harry," Luna said, getting to her feet and walking over to him. "Paddy! Get down!"

Paddington turned to her, his tongue hanging out while his tail wagged incessantly. "It's a good thing he's cute," Harry smiled at her.

"Kind of how it works for Ron too."

"I HEARD THAT!" Ron retorted.

Harry and Luna laughed as she scooped up the dog. "It's true though," Harry said. "Paddington and Ron both hang around the kitchen for food..."

"He doesn't pee on the floor," Luna said seriously. "I did manage to housebreak him on that."

"HEY!" Ron said, turning around and shooting his best friend and his girlfriend warning looks.

"All right," Harry was still chuckling.

"Did you want anything to drink?" Luna asked. "Tea? Juice?"

"I'm good, thanks." Harry sat down on the sofa as Paddington climbed up next to him.

"How was New Zealand?" Luna asked.

"Really nice," Harry said. "We learned loads from that Spellbinder guy..." he reached down into his pocket. "Plus I managed to buy an engagement ring." he handed the box to Luna.

"Merlin's beard!" Ron said loudly when Luna opened the box. "How much did that cost?"

Luna swatted at Ron. "Wow, Harry," she said, looking down at the ring. "It's gorgeous!"

"I hope she likes it," Harry replied. "Now I just have to find the right time to ask her. Things... things have been a bit tense between us for the past few weeks."

"Oh, Harry," Luna said, handing him back the box. "Seamus told us that she found out about him and Ron looking in on her..."

"Yeah," Harry said. "I know... we had a rather nasty row about it when I walked in the door."

"Everything okay now?" Luna asked.

"All right," Harry shrugged. "Gordon the jackass has been around and has been rather insufferable."

"I thought she said she wouldn't have him round anymore," Ron said.

"They're working on some sort of project and for some stupid reason he says they can't work at his place." Harry said. "Last night was the first time he'd been over all week, or so Hermione told me. She said they'd been working at their University library."

"How long was he there?" Luna asked. "And what did you do all night while he was?"

"Stuck around in the kitchen," Harry replied. "I'm not letting him alone with her if I can help it." Ron nodded in agreement.

"From what I've found out about him, I don't blame you for feeling that way," Luna said.

"You mean you've found out even more," Harry said.

She nodded and went to the table to retrieve a few pieces of paper and some photographs. "I managed to find some more photos of Andrew Murphy with Gordon," she said as she handed Harry a few pictures.

"Looks like they were pretty good friends," Harry said. "Although I don't understand why anyone would want to be friends with him."

"He was Gordon's only friend at Durmstrang from what I gather," Luna commented. "They sort of used each other for their own benefit."

"Oh really?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Luna said, handing him a few more pictures. "There were some suspicions about Gordon cheating on exams and Andrew may have been an accomplice."

"So he's really not as smart as he claims to be," Harry nodded.

"Doesn't seem that way," Luna said. "But that's not even the real reason I asked you to come over today. I managed to pick up a lead on his parents."

Harry's eyes widened and Ron finally abandoned his inventory and sat on the sofa so he could take a look as well.

"There's a hospital in the south of France," Luna began. "It's sort of like St. Mungo's, but it specializes mostly in psychological maladies. A couple of years ago, a couple were checked into the hospital under the names of Joseph and Martha Devon. According to the hospital administrator, the son hasn't been back to visit his parents since he checked them in."

Harry's eyebrows were raised so high his scar was almost invisible. "You think..."

"According to the administrator, they can't speak or communicate in any way," Luna continued, feeling the hairs on the back of her neck stand up just as she explained it. "The medical staff there has no idea what sort of spell or charm caused this, but they figure it was some sort of memory altercation that went horribly wrong."

Ron shook his head. "Are you sure they're his parents?"

"They match the description," Luna said. "And I've not managed to verify with anyone the whereabouts of his parents under their actual names. I asked the administrator if he'd forward some photographs to me, but he can't under the confidentiality laws. Harry, maybe someone at the Ministry could help..."

"Yeah, I'll ask Lupin if there's a way we can get them." Harry replied. "That's so..."

"Freaky?" Ron suggested. "Demented? Scary? Strange?"

"All of the above," Harry said grimly.

"Where's Hermione now?" Ron asked, looking at his friend. "She's not with him, is she?"

"No," Harry replied. "She's at home."

"What are you doing here?" Ron asked him in disbelief. "I can't believe you let her out of your sight!"

Harry gave him a look. "I'm trying not to treat her like a three year old all right? She was plenty pissed with me for making you and Seamus check in on her while I was gone."

"And Gordon has no idea we're checking up on him," Luna pointed out. "As far as he knows, no one is any wiser to what he's done."

"That's good." Harry said. "Keep it that way- I worry now that we know what he's capable of." he sighed. "I wish we could prove that he was the one who did something to that Andrew Murphy."

"We will," Luna said firmly. She could tell Harry was still trying to process what she just told him. Hoping to lighten the mood, she decided to ask him about the proposal. "So, when are you going to ask her the big question?" she asked.

"I don't know yet," Harry said. "I'm still working up the nerve to go talk to her father."

"If he agreed to let you live together, I can't imagine he'd have too much trouble agreeing to the marriage," Luna said reassuringly. "You're getting along quite well now, right?"

"Yeah," Harry rubbed his neck. "Especially after he and I gave Hermione and Elinore cookbooks for Christmas. Plus I let him take the mickey out of me about golfing whenever he wants."

"And he hasn't collapsed from a heart attack since he knows you shag his daughter on a regular basis," Ron said, picking up his inventory sheets again.

"No thanks to you," Harry frowned at him.

"Don't drag me into this," Ron said cheekily. "I wasn't there when you were pawing her on the sofa and her mum and dad dropped by unexpectedly, was I?"

"Yeah but need I remind you back last year when you had to shout out to the neighbourhood about her and I shagging?" Harry asked pointedly.

"I didn't know he was going to be standing there when I did it!" Ron exclaimed defensively. "Besides, he'd be a fool to think you didn't..."

"Right," Harry rolled his eyes. "Well I'd better get back. Thanks so much for all that you've done Luna." He pecked her on the cheek.

"Give Hermione our love," Luna said, holding Paddington back so Harry could leave.

"I will," Harry replied. "Don't let Ron pee on the floor."

"What's Dr. Granger's telephone number?" Ron asked. "I think I may need to educate him some more about what his daughter does with the Rabbit King."

"You wouldn't be able to call- you don't even know how to use a phone Ron." Harry shot back.

Ron frowned. He'd forgotten about that. "Well, I could go into his office for a nice little chat."

"On what, the Aboveground?" Harry enjoyed teasing his friend about his limited knowledge of all things Muggle.

"Easy boys," Luna said, laughing. "You're not setting a good example for Paddy."

"Luna seems to think he understands what we talk about," Ron rolled his eyes.

"He does!" Luna said. "He comes when you call his name, doesn't he?"

"So do you," Ron said.

"Ronald!" Luna said picking up one of Paddington's dog toys and throwing it at him.

"I think that's my cue to leave," Harry said.

"Take Ron with you, please." Luna called out to him.

"Down boy," Harry said to Ron. "My kitchen is never the same after you leave."

Luna walked Harry to the door. "You should go and talk to her dad, Harry. I'm sure it won't be that bad."

"I will," Harry said. "I'm probably making it out to be worse than it would be."

"He's going to be your father-in-law," Luna teased.

Harry laughed. "You're right..."

"And you make his daughter happy," Luna said, patting his arm. "He knows that."

"Aye," Harry gave her a hug. "Thanks Loony. It's amazing how you can put things in perspective."

"It's a gift," she said modestly. "Take care, Harry."

"See you later," Harry replied.

*** *** ***

Hermione picked out a few CD's from their collection and put them in the player, turning the music so it played softly. She still knew that she and Harry had a lot to talk about but she also wanted to give him a peace offering- to show Harry that she was still completely head over heels in love with him and she wanted everything to be okay.

She paused by the mirror to look at herself. Hermione was scantily clad in a lacy piece of lingerie, and had curled her hair so it hung richly over her shoulders and down her back. "Lavender couldn't have done much better," she said, pleased with her reflection.

Gordon had tried the doorbell, but no one came to the door. He could hear the faint sound of music playing so he knew someone was home. To his surprise, the door was unlocked and he turned the knob and walked inside.

"Hermione?" he called out uncertainly. "Hermione?"

Hermione smiled as she heard someone calling her in the hallway. She thought it was Harry so she skipped out, knowing her appearance would drive him straight up the wall. "You're home early," she purred and stopped short when she saw Gordon in the hall instead of her boyfriend.

"Hermione," Gordon whispered, staring at her.

"Oh Merlin!" Hermione jumped out of the way. "What are you doing here?" she peeked around the corner, her face going red.

"I-I was coming by to see if you'd fancy a cappuccino," he said trying to sound calm, but he was anything but calm. She was dressed like a tart. This wasn't her, he thought angrily. This wasn't who she really was. "I-I tried the doorbell, but no one answered."

"Sorry, I have some music on and I didn't hear the bell," she replied. "Um... could you... um turn your back or something so I can get a robe?"

"Huh? Oh, yes, of course," he said turning around. "I'm awfully sorry, Hermione. I, uh take it you and Harry have big plans then?"

"Well yes..." Hermione dashed past him to the closet and pulled the first robe she could find off a hanger, which was Harry's. She wrapped it around her tightly. "Soon as he gets home..." she cleared her throat.

"Can I turn around now?" he asked. "I should probably just go..."

"No it's okay," Hermione replied, still holding the robe tight. "Sorry... I should have made sure the door was locked."

"So what's the special occasion?" he asked conversationally, but inside he was seething.

"Nothing special... just trying to surprise Harry is all." Hermione said.

The fact that she had to dress up like a tart to do so made Gordon's blood boil. "I should really go. I'm sure he doesn't want to come home and find me here with you."

"I'll see you tomorrow in class," Hermione was relieved to see him leave. She was horribly embarrassed about jumping out like that dressed in so little.

"Have a good evening, Hermione," Gordon said as he walked toward the door. "And I am truly sorry..."

"It's all right," Hermione said, still red faced.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said, giving her a slight smile as he walked out onto the porch. The door closed firmly behind him and he stood there for a few moments feeling angrier and angrier as the image of a scantily-clad Hermione passed over and over in his mind.

Hermione kept the robe wrapped around herself after she saw Gordon walk away down the street. She cursed herself for being so flippant about leaving the door open. And she also didn't understand why the image of him looking at her in the lingerie had embedded itself so deeply into her mind.

Harry fumbled in his trousers pocket for his keys. After leaving Ron and Luna's, he'd taken Luna's advice to go and talk to her dad, but he'd been called in for emergency surgery and Harry had finally given up and decided to go home. He finally found his keys and unlocked the door.

"Hermione?" he called out. "Sweetheart?"

Hermione jumped, she hadn't realised how much time had passed. She still had the robe wrapped tightly around her and saw with relief that Harry had finally come home.

Harry looked around at the living room which was lit with candles. "Hermione...," he said, a grin breaking out on his face.

"Welcome home," Hermione dropped the robe and allowed him to look at her wrapped so snugly in the lacy lingerie.

"Uh-um," he said, searching for the right words, but finding he couldn't string anything coherently together. "Oh...my...wow."

"Do you like what you see?" Hermione teased, forcing the thoughts of Gordon from her head and instead focusing on the love of her life standing in front of her.

"I love what I see," he said, fixing his eyes on hers. "What did I do to deserve all this?"

Hermione smiled at him. "Nothing in particular," she said softly.

"You look amazing," he whispered. "You...you are amazing."

"So are you," Hermione slid up to him, moving her hands over his chest and unclasping his cloak.

"You're shivering," he said, as he ran his hand over her shoulder and down her arm. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm fine," Hermione said. "Just waiting for you to come home,"

"So I take it this means you won't be studying tonight?" he asked hopefully.

"The only thing I plan on studying is you, Harry Potter," Hermione said, her tone playful.

He pulled her closer and kissed her softly. "Hermione..."

"Yes?" she asked breathlessly.

"I love you," he whispered, before dipping his head to plant kisses on her shoulder.

"I love you too," she whispered back. "So much..." she wrapped her arms around his shoulders."I just want us to be close again Harry."

"We are close," he said, resting his forehead on hers. "I've been such an idiot..."

"Yes you have," Hermione giggled softly. "But we've both been to blame... we haven't... really communicated well." she wove their fingers together. "But we don't have to let that break us apart."

"Nothing is going to break us apart," he promised her. "Nothing."

"Nothing," Hermione echoed.

He kissed her again happy that for one night anyway Gordon Devereaux wasn't going to be an issue. And if Harry had any say in it at all, Gordon Devereaux would never be an issue again.

*** *** ***

"Cho?" Neville called out to his wife from the nursery. "We're out of nappies! Did you get any more on your way home?" He smiled down at his daughter who was cooing up at him from the changing table. He was trying to get Chiaki changed and dressed since they were having Harry and Hermione over for dinner.

"Yes they're in the hall closet," Cho called back. "I didn't get a chance to put them in the nursery!"

"Can you bring them to me?" he asked her.

"Just a second..." Cho replied. "Is this sauce supposed to be black?"

Neville frowned. "No," he called back to her. "It's supposed to be red. What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything I just stirred it like you told me to do!" Cho said.

"Lesson for the day, Chiaki," Neville said grinning down at the baby. "Never leave Mummy alone in the kitchen."

"Hey I heard that," Cho said, coming into the room.

Neville turned around and looked at his wife. She was dressed casually in a pair of jeans and a red jumper.

"Don't you look nice!" he said, giving her a whistle.

"I don't look like anything special," her face turned pink as she ripped into the package of nappies.

"Yes you do," he said grinning at her. "You always look beautiful to me."

"Thanks," Cho gave him a nappy and stored the rest under the changing table. "I think you lie but you're sweet."

He laughed as he quickly changed Chiaki's diaper. As Cho watched him, he could tell she kept looking down at her watch. "You sure are anxious for them to get here," he commented as he dressed Chiaki.

"Well why wouldn't I be excited for our friends to come over?" Cho asked quickly.

Neville wondered for a moment if perhaps Cho knew Harry's intentions to propose to Hermione, but he knew that none of their friends would be so stupid as to tell the blabbermouth of the group the big secret.

"No reason," he said, gingerly handing Chiaki to Cho. "I better go salvage what damage you did in the kitchen."

"Hey it's only the sauce," Cho retorted, kissing her daughter's head. "Besides if you were that worried then you should have stayed in here while I changed the baby."

Neville laughed and went into the kitchen and to his relief the sauce was salvageable. He could hear Cho humming a tune to Chiaki from the living room. The doorbell chimed and Neville who had been about to answer the door, was nearly pushed to the ground by Cho who practically sprinted to the door.

"What the-," Neville said taken aback.

"Hi Harry! Hi Hermione!" Cho bubbled. "What's new with you?" she couldn't stop the large smile from breaking out over her face as she waited to hear about her best friend's engagement.

Hermione found herself engulfed in a huge bear hug from Cho. "It's nice to see you, too, Cho," Hermione said, giving Harry a confused look over Cho's shoulder.

Harry was giving Neville an odd look who shrugged. "We're fine Cho... nothing new." he kissed her cheek as she hugged him as well.

Cho looked expectantly at Hermione. When Hermione didn't say anything, Cho figured she didn't want to make a show of the engagement.

"Hermione," Cho said, taking Hermione's hand. "Have you had your nails done recently?"

"No..." Hermione gave her a strange look. "Cho are you all right?"

"Yes," she said, smiling at Hermione. "Perfectly fine. How are you? I bet you're on Cloud..."

Harry was giving a rather murderous look to both her and Neville. "What's on the menu tonight?" he interrupted.

"I-I don't understand," Cho said, her smile faltering. "I thought---"

"Thought what?" Hermione looked around at all of them in confusion.

Neville couldn't believe it. Cho obviously knew and if he didn't shut her up fast, she was going to spill the beans. Either that, or Harry was going to murder her.

"Thought that you'd be late," Neville said quickly. "We thought you'd be doing your rabbit thing and lose all track of time."

"Rabbit mating was taken care of earlier today," Harry gave Hermione a chaste pinch on her rear.

Neville rolled his eyes. "Hermione, why don't you come with me and see Chiaki? She's wearing that outfit you gave her," Neville said.

"Oh great," Hermione smiled. "I can't wait to see her in it!"

Neville led Hermione toward the nursery and hoped that Harry wouldn't be too hard on his wife.

Harry watched them go and then looked at Cho, who backtracked towards the kitchen. "Not so fast," he said. "Who told you?"

"Told me what?" she asked, looking down at the carpet. "Are you thirsty?"

"No," he snapped. "Who the hell told you I was planning on proposing?"

"The better question would be why you didn't tell me yourself," Cho said defensively. "I'm supposed to be your best friend and I have to find out from...Um, actually no one told me. I sort of figured it out all on my own."

"Bullshit," Harry said darkly. "I knew you'd blab to Hermione and that little show you just put on was--"

"Incredibly stupid of me," Cho finished for him. "I'm sorry. I just thought you were going to do it straightaway. Why haven't you done it yet?"

"I'm waiting to talk to her father and I want it to be the perfect moment," Harry relaxed.

"You've been back from New Zealand for nearly a week," Cho asked. "You're not still scared of her dad, are you?"

"No," Harry said emphatically. "He's just been busy and so have I. I went over to talk to him and he got called away on emergency soon as I walked in the door. Then I went over again and he was in a rotten mood according to Elinore, so I didn't even try it."

Cho smiled. "Maybe he senses what you're about to do," she teased.

"Not funny," Harry followed her in the kitchen. "What was burning? Did Neville let you cook?"

"No," she said shaking her head. "He let me stir and I may not have done such a great job of it, but it looks like he was able to fix whatever it was I did." She poured herself and Harry a glass of Merlot. "I can't believe you're actually going to do it...get married."

"I know," Harry replied. "Sometimes if I stop and think about it I can't believe it either." he said quietly.

Cho smiled and leaned back against the counter. "She's good for you, you know that? Almost too good for you..."

"Tell me something I don't know," Harry replied, sipping his wine.

"Is Gordon still coming around?" she asked lowering her voice in case Hermione and Neville came back.

"Of course he is," Harry rolled his eyes. "Luna's still checking up on a lead she got on his parents... I'm still trying to even just broach the damn subject with Hermione. We agreed to talk about him when I got back but she found out about me asking Ron and Seamus to check up on her and we fought about that..." he sighed. "So I don't know, I guess I'm just waiting to have all the information on him and then I'll give it to her."

"So she won't be able to just dismiss what you have to say?" Cho guessed.

"Exactly," Harry sat back up straight as he heard his girlfriend and Neville coming into the room.

"Doesn't she look adorable?" Hermione was gushing. She was holding Chiaki close to her.

"That she does," Cho said beaming at her daughter. "That colour suits her."

"Let me see her," Harry said as Neville took over his duties at the stove and Cho poured Hermione some wine. "She's getting bigger every day," he complained. "Soon enough she'll be ready for Hogwarts."

"Hush!" Cho said. "That's not for another 10 years, thank you very much."

"Unless she's a Squib of course," Harry grinned wickedly at Cho and she knew that was a comment to repay her for almost spilling the beans earlier.

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed, glaring at him.

"What?" Harry pulled an innocent face.

"He can't help being an egomaniacal prat with no tact," Cho said sweetly, sticking her tongue out at Harry.

"That's real mature," Neville said laughing.

Harry shook his head as Hermione took the baby away from him. "We don't want her inheriting any of that from her godfather."

"Ron's the one you have to watch out for," Harry said. "He's the one who'll be the bad influence."

"And how do you figure that?" Cho asked dryly.

"He was the one who was always getting me into trouble at school," Harry said simply. "I would have been a straight-arrow like Hermione if he'd not led me down the path of rule-breaking..."

Cho and Neville both snorted back their laughter. "Right Harry," Cho laughed. "I'm sure everyone will believe THAT!"

Harry pouted and Neville grinned. "Alright, abuse on Harry can come to a stop now. I just need to put Chiaki down and then we should be ready to eat."

"I'll help you," Harry said, taking the baby back from Hermione.

Hermione watched the two men walk out of the room as she picked up her glass of wine.

"Just so you know, I didn't tell Cho about you proposing," Neville whispered hastily as soon as they got into the nursery.

"I know," Harry said softly. "I think it was probably Luna."

"How do you figure?" Neville asked as Harry carefully laid Chiaki in her crib.

"Process of elimination," Harry replied. "Seamus wouldn't have told her. I know he hasn't told Lavender because if he had, you and I both know she'd be on top of me every second giving me tips about how to propose. It was either Ron or Luna and if I had to guess, I'd bet it was Luna."

"Good guessing," Neville said. "Are you going to say anything to her?"

"She's done so much for me with looking into Gordon for me, I think I'll let this slide," Harry said, as he turned on the musical mobile that hung just above Chiaki's crib. "She probably just let it slip and Cho pounced on her."

"Cho has a way of doing that doesn't she?" Neville asked.

"Give her an inch and she'll take a mile," Harry said with a laugh.

"Right," Neville said as they left the room. "Well maybe we shouldn't leave her alone with Hermione..."

"Good idea," Harry said, with a grin. "So, Longbottom. What are you feeding us?"

"Spaghetti," Neville answered. "I've no idea how the sauce is going to taste."

"It tastes really well," Hermione answered brightly. "Sorry...we both had a spoonful while you were gone."

"You mean Cho didn't ruin it again?" Harry asked.

"You watch it, Potter, or you'll be wearing the sauce," Cho said with a warning look.

"Ooh, insults," Harry sat next to his girlfriend.

"Hermione, are you so sure you want to m-," Cho began, but cupped her hand over her mouth as she suddenly realised what she was about to say.

"Am I sure I want to what?" Hermione asked.

"Uh," Cho said helplessly. "Are you, um, so sure you want to make a toast?"

"I was going to make a toast?" Hermione asked. "I didn't know we needed to make one," she smiled.

"Of course we do," Neville said quickly. "Training is going well for Harry and me. Cho's school is really taking off and you're nearly finished with your first year at University. We've got loads to celebrate!"

"Right on there," Harry said, sending another look Cho's way.

"Okay," Hermione said, still feeling like she was missing something. She raised her glass. "Here's to good friends, good food and good times." She frowned. "Oh, Merlin! That was pretty lame, wasn't it?"

"Yes love, it was," Harry snickered. "But I still love you anyway."

"I'm sorry," she said sheepishly. "I don't have that much experience giving toasts!'"

"That's all right," Neville said, dishing out the spaghetti.

"Harry?" Hermione asked as she took her plate from Neville. "My mum said you stopped by the house today. You didn't tell me you were going over there."

"Aye..." Harry said, suddenly interested in his dinner as he frantically tried to think of an excuse. "I uh... wanted to get your father interested in a game of golf now that the weather is warming up. Wanted to tell him I read that book he gave me."

Hermione smiled. "He'd love that. Mum had me worried. She said you looked nervous about something."

"What would I have to be nervous about?" Harry let out a chuckle.

Cho opened her mouth to respond, but she felt someone kick her leg hard under the table. "Ouch!"

"What?" Hermione looked at her in alarm. "What happened?"

"Leg cramp," Cho lied, reaching down and rubbing her leg. She glared at her husband.

Neville smiled innocently back at her. "I didn't know you were so eager to go make a fool of yourself on the golf course again," he said to Harry shifting the focus off his wife.

"Hey! I'm improving," Harry said. "Let's get you out there and see how well you do, Nev."

"No thanks," Neville grinned. "I'll just leave it to you Potter."

"I think we should get Seamus to join you," Hermione said, as Cho handed her the basket of bread. "He always seems to get out of it somehow."

"Aye he does," Harry nodded. "I'll tell your father. Seamus won't refuse if he asks."

"You know the way you and Seamus act, you'd think my dad was some big scary monster," Hermione said. "He's really a big old teddy bear when you get to know him."

"Hey you don't see me complaining," Harry replied. "Things between your dad and me couldn't get better. Seamus is just worried about impressing him so that he'll think he's good enough for Lavender. I already know he thinks I'm good enough for you." he grinned at her.

"Do you now?" Hermione asked raising an eyebrow at him.

"Otherwise he'd still despise the sight of me," Harry said.

"Well for what its worth I think your dad is fantastic," Cho put in. "He did so much for me last summer."

"For that we're all grateful," Neville said inching his chair closer to his wife.

Hermione nodded. "I hated lying to him. But, he really gave me no other choice."

"It all turned out well and good," Harry said. "Obviously I wouldn't be here today if he still hated me," he grinned. "I'd be six feet under."

"You're just exaggerating," Hermione said, shaking her head. "He wouldn't have killed you, Harry."

"Nah, just maybe strung you up and paid someone to hex you," Neville joked.

"He did ask Lavender if she knew any hexes around that time," Hermione said seriously.

"What?" Harry whipped his head around to look at her.

"Oh, you know nothing serious," Hermione said, trying not to laugh at the look on Harry's face. "He even asked about castration..."

Harry paled. "Please tell me you're joking." Neville also looked nervous at the turn this conversation was taking.

Hermione dissolved into giggles. "Harry! Of course, I was kidding!"

"You're going to pay for that," Harry said, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry," she said breathlessly. "If you could have seen the look on your face!"

"It was rather funny," Cho said.

"I'm inclined to agree," Neville said, chuckling.

"Thanks a lot Neville, and if I'm not wrong you looked a little scared there as well." Harry shot back.

"Oh, I was," Neville said slyly. "But now that I know it was only a joke, I can appreciate the humour of the situation."

"You're all wankers," Harry announced.

Hermione looked at Harry and she could tell that she'd touched a nerve. He obviously wanted her dad to like him, but there was something else. When Cho and Neville got up to get dessert and coffee, Hermione looked at him. "Hey, I was only joking before, Harry. Really. I swear my dad never spoke to Lavender about hexes or castration. Honestly."

"I know," Harry replied.

"You just seemed to take it a bit to heart," she said, putting her hand on his knee.

"I guess... I still worry that something might happen where your dad won't like me." Harry said. "I can see that he does... but I guess I'll never stop worrying. You're his little girl and I want to make sure he knows I love you more than anything in the world."

Hermione leaned in and kissed him softly. "He knows."

"And as long as you know..." Harry kissed her again.

"I do," she said softly.

Harry smiled as he thought about her words in context of what he wanted to do. He carried the ring with him at all times and now he fingered the box in his pocket.

"What are you thinking about?" Hermione asked.

"You," Harry said, which was mostly true.

"Me?" she asked coyly.

"You're always on my mind somehow," Harry replied, sliding an arm around her.

She rested her head on his shoulder. "How do you do that?" she asked. "How do you make me feel so safe and warm?"

"Do I make you feel that way?" Harry asked softly. "I don't do it on purpose. I just tell you how I feel."

"You do," she whispered. "And you show me..."

"How do I show you?" Harry asked, hoping Cho and Neville would stay in the kitchen.

Hermione grinned mischievously at him. "You know how you'll kiss my neck in that one spot?"

"Like this?" Harry pressed his lips gently to her skin.

"Mmm," she murmured. "And when you nibble on my ear..."

"Like this?" Harry did as she said.

Hermione closed her eyes. "That...that'll do."

"For now," Harry said huskily.

He kissed her neck again and Hermione felt herself slowly beginning to lose control. "Harry, they're going to come back in here soon..."

"Right," Harry straightened back up but didn't remove his arm from her shoulder. "We'll pick this up later..." he could see the yearning in her eyes and was hard pressed to keep from pulling the ring out of his pocket right then and there.

"Okay," Neville said, coming back into the room, followed by Cho. "Sorry that took so long...we um, sort of got distracted."

"That's quite all right," Harry grinned at him.

"Somehow I knew you'd understand," Neville said as Cho blushed.

*** *** ***

Harry managed to pull Hermione's shirt off, only separating their mouths for a split second. His hands ran repeatedly through her hair, letting the strands slip through his fingers as she clutched his shoulders hungrily.

Hermione moaned into his mouth as he pressed against her. "Harry," she whispered, not even remembering how they'd gotten home. From the moment they'd left Cho and Neville's, they'd been all over each other.

"I can't wait until we're upstairs," he groaned as she began to move on top of him. "I need you so bad..."

Hermione quickly unhooked his belt and had just put her hand on the zipper when the doorbell chimed. "Ignore it," she said before leaning down and kissing him.

"It's ignored," Harry let out a strangled moan as she worked her hand into his trousers.

The doorbell chimed again. "Harry? Hermione? If you're home, please answer the door!"

"Is that Luna?" Harry muttered.

Hermione nodded. "I think so. Damn...we were just getting to the good stuff."

"Isn't that always the case?" Harry grumbled. "Now I know why Ron was so pissed off back at Hillsdale."

Hermione reluctantly got off of Harry and fumbled in the dark for her shirt.

"I'll get it," Harry zipped his trousers back up and pulled his shirt on haphazardly.

"Hey," Luna said apologetically when Harry opened the door. His hair was more messed up than usual and Luna knew she'd interrupted something. "I'm sorry to call so late, but I had some news..."

"What's up?" Harry asked. "Did you find out about--?"

"Hey, Luna," Hermione said coming up behind Harry. "Is everything okay?"

"Um, not exactly," Luna said giving her friend a weak smile. "I was wondering if I could have a word with Harry? Alone..."

"Oh sure..." she said. "I'll just... be upstairs."

"Thanks," Luna said. Harry waited a few moments before closing the door behind him and standing on the porch with Luna.

"I'm really sorry for coming by so late," she apologised again. "It's just something has happened that I thought you should know."

"What is it?" Harry asked, looking at her intently.

"Andrew Murphy," Luna said. "They found him."