Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Meanwhile, Caroline and Jon were just returning to the house. Jon had shrunk the broom down to miniature size so as not to attract Muggle attention. "Excellent choice, angel," Jon said smiling at her. "You're going to be amazing on this."

"Thank you so, so, SO much," Caroline said. "I can't wait to use it!"

Jon smiled as he held the door open for his daughter. "You're very welcome, love."

Caroline's smile grew as Jon pulled her broom out of his pocket and enlarged it to its original size. "I'm going to go clean it up. Not that it needs it. But I'm going to fix it up anyway.

Jon smiled. "Okay. I'm sure Olivia and Adam and Em are excited to see it too."

"I'll work on it in the sitting room," Caroline said.

Caroline practically skipped into the sitting room and gazed adoringly at her broom. The moment she had seen it, she knew that it was the one.

She knew for sure she could make the Quidditch team this next year if she used this.

She felt someone tap her on the shoulder and she giggled when she saw Olivia. "Livvie! Did you want to see my broom?"

"Can we go for a ride?" Olivia asked excitedly.

"Not here, unfortunately," Caroline said. "But, we will the moment we get home. I promise."

Olivia grinned at her. "Can I sit on it?"

"Sure," Caroline said.

Olivia sat on the broom. "I'm flying!"

Caroline grinned. "Yes, you are. You are a natural!"

Olivia held her arms up in the air. "Look at me go!"

"Where are you going to fly to, Livvie?" Caroline asked.

"Ummm... to the ice cream shoppe," Olivia said. "And then to Canada."

Caroline grinned. "Canada, eh? That's a long way from here."

"It's the fastest broom ever though," Olivia told her sister.

Caroline mussed Olivia's hair. "It is, Livvie. It really is."

"Ooooh!" Katie said as she came into the sitting room. "You're finally back!"

"Look at Sissy's broom!" Olivia said to her.

"It's neat," Katie said. "Hey listen, can you make sure you really talk it up? Bradley is coming over to see it."

Olivia turned. "Look at Sissy's broom!"

"I did," Katie told her.

"What do you think?" Caroline asked, wondering why her friend was so dressed up.

"It's neat," Katie said again. "Bradley will be here any minute."

"What?" Caroline asked.

Katie hardly masked her impatience. "I just told you twice. Bradley's coming to see your broom, but I'm sure it's an excuse to see me."

"Which explains the dress," Caroline muttered.

"Looks good doesn't it?" Katie asked.

Katie did a little twirl. Caroline nodded. "It's a great dress, Katie."

Katie looked at Caroline for a minute. She was a bit dishevelled but in a cute way. "Do you think I ought to get him some lemonade or something when he gets here?"

"Sure," Caroline said picking up Olivia.

"Why don't you get it when he comes in," Katie said. "And I can work some magic on him."

Caroline wondered when she had become Katie's maid, but she nodded. "Fine."

"Hey," Katie's eyes lit up. "If he wants to take me for a ride, will you mind?"

"Katie," Caroline began. "This place is swarming with Muggles."

"I'm sure we can figure something out," Katie waved off Caroline's concerns.

Olivia squirmed in Caroline's arms. "Sissy, I'm hungry."

"Okay Livvie," Caroline said. "I'll get you some biscuits."

Katie headed upstairs to check on her hair one last time. Besides, she did not want Bradley thinking she was just sitting around waiting for him.

Caroline carried her sister into the kitchen and set her down on the counter. "Okay, what kind of biscuits do you want?" Caroline asked looking in the pantry.
"We have oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip and peanut butter."

Olivia was about to respond when there was a knock on the door. Caroline turned and saw Bradley standing outside. "Hold that thought, Livvie."

"Hurry," Olivia told her sister.

Caroline opened the door and smiled warmly at her friend. "Hiya."

"Hey," Bradley grinned at her.

Caroline motioned for him to come inside. "I was just getting some biscuits and lemonade for my sister. Would you like some?"

"No thanks," Bradley replied. "Heard you got a new broom."

Caroline nodded. "The Sidewinder 5000."

His eyes widened. "Those JUST came out. The test speeds on those were incredible!"

Olivia kicked her leg against the counter. "SISSY!"

"Ooooh sorry, Livvie." Caroline turned red. "What kind of biscuits?"

"Let me guess," Bradley said to Olivia. The little girl looked curiously at him. "You don't think I can guess what kind you like?"

"No," Olivia said solemnly.

"I bet I can," Bradley said. "And if not, I'll give you free ice cream the next time you visit."

"You don't know what you're risking," Caroline said. "Now she's just going to say it's not so she can get ice cream."

Olivia shook her head. "No, I won't!"

"Uh huh," Caroline went to get the lemonade.

Olivia grinned at Bradley. "Guess!"

"I bet you like..." Bradley thought for a moment. "Peanut butter and chocolate chip."

Caroline hid her smile. That was exactly Olivia's favourite. She waited to see how her little sister would respond.

"Maybe," Olivia said coyly.

Bradley laughed. "I see. You know, you are as pretty as your sister, Olivia Weasley."

Caroline blushed more deeply and busied herself with the lemonade. "Sure you don't want some?" she asked shyly.

"It's yummy," Olivia told him.

"Twist my arm," Bradley replied. "Sure."

Caroline poured him a glass and handed it to him. "Here you go."

"Well hello," a voice from the doorway interrupted them.

The three of them turned to see Katie. "Hi, Katie," Bradley said to her.

"I'm so glad you're here," Katie purred.

"Me too," Bradley said. "Though I think Livvie here just conned me out of some ice cream."

"She's so smart," Katie said, touching his arm.

Caroline looked at her friend. "Do you want some lemonade, Katie?"

"No thanks," Katie replied. "Come with me, Bradley. I can show you the new broom."

"Oh, sure," Bradley said. "Caroline, are you coming?"

"Um... yeah." Caroline replied. "Let me get Livvie a few more biscuits."

Katie linked her arm in Bradley's. "Come on."

Bradley looked over at Katie and had to admit the brunette was beautiful. He liked her confidence.

He followed her into the sitting room.

"Here it is," Katie gestured.

Bradley stopped in his tracks. "Wow..."

"It's nice isn't it?" Katie asked, pretending she was interested in the piece of wood lying there.

"It's brilliant," Bradley said.

"Might be fun to take a ride on," Katie suggested.

Bradley nodded. "Except it's impossible here."

"I bet we could figure out a way," Katie said. "Midnight... moonlight..."

Bradley chuckled. "You trying to corrupt me, Katie?"

Katie laughed. "Do I really need to?"

"You're the Slytherin," Bradley joked.

"We're misunderstood," Katie replied.

"I see," Bradley said picking up the broom.

Katie ran her hand up the handle. "It's so smooth..." she let her voice trail off as her fingers moved on top of his.

Bradley met her gaze. "Yeah, it is."

Katie let her eyes widen just a bit and smiled at him again.

Caroline came into the room with Olivia. "Oh," she said realising she must have interrupted something.

Katie sighed in disappointment as Bradley turned away from her.

"Caroline, this broom is amazing," Bradley said.

"Yeah," Caroline said. "I was going to clean it up, but it really doesn't need it. I can't wait to go flying when I get home."

"I'd love to see you fly it," Bradley said.

"Nice try," Caroline said with a grin. "Only on the Quidditch pitch."

Katie watched the two of them and folded her arms. How could she not have seen this before? No, she said to herself. It was not possible. Bradley could not possibly fancy Caroline.

She wasn't about to let that happen, either.

"I have a great idea," Katie said hastily.

Bradley and Caroline turned to her. "What's that?" he asked.

"I heard it's going to be a nice night tomorrow," Katie said. "What if we go to the arcade?"

"That would be fun," Bradley agreed but Caroline frowned.
"I have to baby-sit Em, Adam and Livvie."

Katie had known that, but she pulled a disappointed face. "Oh, that's too bad."

"Maybe some other time?" Bradley suggested but Caroline shook her head.
"You two should go." she said. "Have fun."

Katie looked at Bradley. "I'm game if you are."

"All right," he nodded. "Around seven?"

Katie grinned. "That's perfect."

"Cool," Bradley smiled at her. "We'll have fun."

Katie nudged him. "Almost as fun as a moonlight flight..."

Bradley laughed. "Maybe that can come after..."

Katie giggled and tossed her hair. "I'll hold you to that, Bradley."

He grinned at her again. "Well... I have to go. Mum's waiting on dinner for me."

Katie gave his hand a squeeze. "I'll see you tomorrow at seven."

"I'll swing by here and walk down there with you," he said, his eyes straying to Caroline.

"I really wish you could come with us, Caroline," Bradley said before leaving.

"You don't mind right?" Katie asked her once Bradley was gone. "I mean, since I'm the one that fancies him and all--"

Caroline shook her head. "No, of course not."

"Okay," Katie impulsively hugged her. "I can't believe it! A date with Bradley!"

Caroline laughed. "You haven't been this happy in awhile."

"I haven't had so much a reason to be," Katie replied.

"He's a great bloke," Caroline said softly.

"Yes he is," Katie chose to ignore her tone. "And trust me, by the time we go back to school, he and I will definitely be together."

Caroline nodded. "Poor Bradley's not going to know what hit him, is he?"

Katie giggled. "No, but I bet he'll like it!"

Caroline smiled. "I'm going to put my broom away."

"Okay," Katie said, flopping down on the sofa. She couldn't believe her luck!

She was going out with Bradley tomorrow night and whatever feelings he thought he had for Caroline would be history. After tomorrow, Katie thought, Bradley would be all hers.

*** *** ***

Gabriel had arrived home from Brighton and gone right back into work. He enjoyed studying and the demands of the hospital but was really looking forward to when he was done so he could grab a cup of coffee and some pie across the street at the cafe.

It was two in the morning and he figured the cafe would be deserted and he would be able to study in peace and quiet.

Melanie smiled at him as she wrote something on a chart. "Rub it in why don't you that you get to go home and I'm stuck here for another four hours," she told him.

"I'm going to get a GOOD cup of coffee unlike that sludge they serve in the cafeteria," Gabriel teased.

"Yeah, yeah," Melanie said rolling her eyes. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Hey," Gabriel said. "Did you want to go for dinner on Friday night?"

Melanie smiled. "I'd love to."

"I'll take you somewhere nice," Gabriel said. "Get you out of the drab white coat..."

"Hey," she poked him. "I make this drab white coat look good."

"Yeah.." he nodded. "You do, actually."

Melanie beamed at him. She was leaning in for a kiss when the attending surgeon came up behind them. She frowned. "I'll call you later," she promised.

"All right," he said. "If I feel like it, I'll bring you something to eat in a bit."

Melanie laughed and gave him a shove towards the elevators.

Gabriel was grinning as he got his things and headed across the street to the cafe.

He was still wearing his scrubs, not taking the time to change into his regular clothes. He stepped inside the cafe and saw that the only other patrons were a couple of nurses that were sitting at the counter. Gabriel took his customary seat at the booth in the back.

He closed his eyes, glad to rest. It had been a really long day and he was looking forward to having something to eat and hopefully to see Stephanie as well.

The girl in question came out of the kitchen and Gabriel waved. He saw her hesitate just a moment. He hoped she was not going to let pride get in the way of their friendship. He did not regret paying for her hospital visit.

"Hi, Gabe..." Stephanie said quietly when she came over a few minutes later. "Your usual tonight?" she didn't look at him, only kept her long hair over the side of her face.

"Yeah," Gabriel replied. "It's good to see you, Steph. How's the wrist?"

"Oh it's good," she said, flexing it. "Just have to wear a brace now."

"Great," Gabriel said grinning at her.

"So coffee and your usual melt?" she asked again.

Gabriel nodded. "That'd be great."

"Coming right up," she turned away quickly.

Gabriel watched her go and wondered if he should bring up the hospital thing again. But, they had already spoken about it on the phone and she seemed okay with it. She had even thanked him. There was no need, Gabriel thought, for things to be awkward between them.

He opened one of his textbooks, thinking he'd get ahead in some reading when she came back with a large mug of coffee. "Thanks," he said gratefully.

"No problem," she said. "So, um...how was your visit to England?"

"It was great," Gabriel replied. "I really like it there."

Stephanie smiled. "And you were able to spend some time with your father?"

Gabriel nodded. "And the weather was nice too, believe it or not."

Stephanie laughed. "I didn't think the sun made appearances in England."

"Here and there," Gabriel said. His smile disappeared as her hair moved and he caught sight of a dark circle around her eye.

"What?" Stephanie asked. "Is something---"

"What happened to your eye?" he asked bluntly.

Absently, Stephanie reached up and touched the bruise under her eye. "Clumsy old me. I ran into the closet door at home. It looks worse than it really is."

Gabriel raised an eyebrow.

"Really," Stephanie said.

"Are you sure you're all right?" he asked her.

Stephanie was silent as he reached out and touched the bruise.

"You need to be icing this," Gabriel said. "Not irritating it by covering it up with makeup."

"I will," Stephanie promised.

Gabriel let his hand linger there for a few moments. "I don't believe you're this clumsy," he said softly.

"I'm hopeless," Stephanie said softly.

"I don't believe that either," he told her.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she let herself enjoy his soft, gentle touch. His hands were so different from Tony's, she thought.

"Steph," Gabriel said. "I'm worried about you."

"I'll be fine," Stephanie told him.

"I don't like this," Gabriel said.

"Well, do you know a cure for chronic clumsiness?" Stephanie asked, trying to make the situation light.

"You're not a klutz," Gabriel said, his face serious. "You're being hurt, aren't you?"

Stephanie shook her head. "Hurt? No..."

"Your boyfriend," Gabriel said, the realization dawning on him. "That's why he was at the hospital when you... broke your wrist."

Stephanie was silent.

"Steph--" Gabriel began.

"No one's hurting me," Stephanie interjected. "I really am just clumsy, Gabe."

"You should press charges," Gabriel said. "Why would you stay with someone like that?"

Stephanie stood up. "Just stay out of it. You know nothing about me. Nothing."

Gabriel just stared at her.

"Just concentrate on your pretty little girlfriend and your pretty little life," Stephanie told him angrily.

"Come on--" he began.

Stephanie turned away from him and walked quickly back to the kitchen.

Gabriel sighed as he sank back into his booth. He couldn't' believe he hadn't seen this before.

What kind of man would hit a woman?

Stephanie went into the freezer to compose herself. She'd been a fool to think that some concealer could cover a black eye.

It was not the first time he had given her a black eye either.

"Hey," the cook opened the freezer door. "You have orders waiting on the counter."

Stephanie nodded. "I'll be right there, Neil."

She closed her eyes, and took a few deep breaths. She would bring Gabriel his food and get him out of there as quickly as possible.

He was still sitting in the booth, looking lost in thought. Stephanie collected her thoughts and purposely walked over to him. She set the plate before him. He put his hand on her arm. "Stephanie, please," he tried again. "Talk to me."

"My life is none of your business," she said coldly, fighting back tears.

"I'm your friend," he told her. "I don

I don't like seeing you hurt unnecessarily."

"It's none of your business," she repeated.

"How long has he been doing this?" Gabriel asked. "Hmmm?"

"Gabriel, just eat your food and go," Stephanie said. "Please."

"Wait," Gabriel said reaching into his bag. He pulled out a piece of paper and a pen. He hastily scribbled his mobile number on the paper and handed it to her. "If you ever need me...for anything...call me...anytime."

Stephanie took the paper and shoved it into her pocket.

"Promise me you'll call if you need me," Gabriel told her.

"I won't," she said but averted her eyes.

"You deserve better than this," Gabriel said.

"If you need anything else with your food, let me know," Stephanie managed.

Gabriel sighed and nodded. "Thank you."

"I'll refill your coffee," Stephanie said, whirling around.

Gabriel just shook his head. Stephanie was a smart girl. Why on earth was she staying with someone who would hurt her like this? The wrist and the black eye he knew about. He recalled seeing bruises on her arm here and there the last few weeks. She had said she had bumped into the counter.

"I'm an idiot," he said, pushing away the plate. He was no longer hungry.

Thinking about that boyfriend of hers hitting her made him angry. He wondered how that bastard would feel if he was on the receiving end of someone's fist?

He watched Stephanie as she finished up with the nurses that were at the counter and they left. It was awkward now, with him being the only customer in there and her studiously ignoring him.

He did not want to leave her alone though.

With that in mind, he settled back in the booth, making it quite apparent that he intended to be there for awhile.

Stephanie turned and watched him. Why couldn't he just let this go?

"I'm finished with my shift soon," she said stonily. "So you may want to settle up."

"I'd like some more coffee actually," Gabriel told her.

Stephanie sighed, but went to get the coffeepot.

Gabriel stood up and followed her.

"You can't be back here!" she exclaimed.

"I'm the only one here," Gabriel said. "And I thought you might like to see photos from my trip."

Stephanie raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Pictures," Gabriel said. "I took some pictures on my trip."

"You want to show me pictures?" Stephanie asked in surprise.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Since you're not going anywhere obviously," Stephanie said with a shrug.

He smiled at her in relief. "Not for awhile at least."

Stephanie followed him back to the table and sat down.

Gabriel pulled his digital camera out of his bag. "I took a lot of pictures in London this time."

"You managed to actually have a vacation?" Stephanie asked.

"I know how to have fun," Gabriel said. "Believe it or not."

"I've only seen you with a book," Stephanie said as he inched closer to show her the photographs.

"I had one of those close by too," Gabriel replied.

"Thought so," Stephanie said, forgetting her anger toward him. She looked at the first photograph. "Who are they?"

"That's my cousin Saffron, her husband Andrew, and their two kids." Gabriel said. "Ellie and Edward."

"They're cute," Stephanie smiled.

"You'd like Saffron," Gabriel replied.

"Yeah?" Stephanie asked.

"She's like you," Gabriel said. "Smart, and really funny. Headstrong..."

"Headstrong is your polite way of saying stubborn," Stephanie said smiling slightly at him.

"Well, yes..." Gabriel admitted.

Stephanie nudged him. "Nice."

"And this is Jon, Allison, and their... brood..." Gabriel said. "Emma, that redhead... she is too funny."

Stephanie giggled. "She's the one that had the crush on you when she was little?"

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "That's her."

"She's adorable," Stephanie said.

"That's Olivia, and Adam behind her," Gabriel pointed out. "And Caroline, the oldest."

Stephanie smiled. "They look like a really happy family."

"They are," he answered. They went through the rest of the pictures.

"I kind of feel like I've been there now," Stephanie said.

"Maybe someday you'll get to meet them," Gabriel said.

Stephanie wanted nothing more than to allow herself to fantasize about something like that.

"I'm only trying to help," Gabriel said as he put his camera back into his bag.

"Gabe..." Stephanie said. "What's going on in my life... you can't help me."

"Why not?" Gabriel asked her.

"Because I owe Tony a lot," Stephanie said. "And I love him. I'm not leaving him."

"You love him?" Gabriel asked. "How could you love someone who would do this to you?"

"Gabe, please." Stephanie looked tired. "Don't start this again."

"Okay," Gabriel relented.

"Thank you," she said in relief. "My shift is over..." she said as her replacement walked in.

"Yeah, I should be going home too," Gabriel said.

Stephanie nodded. "I suppose I'll see you around..."

"Hey, Steph?" Gabriel asked. "Just remember, you have my number. If you need anything..."

"I know," she said quickly as she untied her apron.

"And ice that eye," Gabriel told her. "Doctor's orders."

Stephanie smiled thinly. "I will, soon as I get home."

Gabriel smiled back at her. "Good."

"Have a good night," Stephanie said, walking away and into the back room.

Gabriel watched her go. He was not sorry that he had questioned her about this. He was not sorry that he had given her his number. But, he was sorry that he had not noticed this before. He knew what was going on now and he would do anything he could to help Stephanie.